PDA

View Full Version : 21st October

Lucy Locket
17th-October-2005, 08:50 AM
Anything happening?? I'm hoping to be fit enough to dance again by then.:flower: :clap:

Minnie M
17th-October-2005, 09:14 AM
Anything happening?? I'm hoping to be fit enough to dance again by then.:flower: :clap:
Well............most of us will be in Scotland :whistle:

however you could go to Cheshunt - Free teas/Coffee and cakes and fun Dance with a stranger competition etc etc :flower:

spindr
17th-October-2005, 09:49 AM
Well, GingerJive (www.gingerjive.co.uk) have a black and white ball on the 22nd.

SpinDr
P.S. And the good news is that the Jive Aces will be playing.

Dance Demon
17th-October-2005, 10:10 AM
You could always come up to the Route 66 3rd anniversary party......having a 60s/70s night......should be good fun:D

David Bailey
17th-October-2005, 10:36 AM
however you could go to Cheshunt - Free teas/Coffee and cakes and fun Dance with a stranger competition etc etc :flower:
As far as I know there's no DWAS competition at Cheshunt on Friday - but hopefully there should be a lovely salsa class (as long as the teachers don't get any more flippin' injuries... :tears: )

I'm sure there'll still be free teas and coffees and cakes, though.

Minnie M
17th-October-2005, 12:01 PM
As far as I know there's no DWAS competition at Cheshunt on Friday - but hopefully there should be a lovely salsa class (as long as the teachers don't get any more flippin' injuries... :tears: )

I'm sure there'll still be free teas and coffees and cakes, though.
woops .... better take it off my list ... thanks David :hug:

David Bailey
17th-October-2005, 12:23 PM
woops .... better take it off my list ... thanks David :hug:
:eek: Don't take it off! - it's still a Cerocmetro freestyle night, just not DWAS.

Cruella
17th-October-2005, 12:42 PM
You could always come up to the Route 66 3rd anniversary party......having a 60s/70s night......should be good fun:D
I'm coming to this, didn't know it was 60s/70s though! I'm far too young to know any of the tunes from that era.:whistle:

Minnie M
17th-October-2005, 01:07 PM
:eek: Don't take it off! - it's still a Cerocmetro freestyle night, just not DWAS.
silly boy - was only gonna take the DWAS bit off :rolleyes:

Dance Demon
17th-October-2005, 05:55 PM
I'm coming to this, didn't know it was 60s/70s though! I'm far too young to know any of the tunes from that era.:whistle:

Don't worry Di......it won't all be 60s & 70s.......there will be the usual mixture of swing & WCS music.........oh..and a wee bluesy set right at the end:wink:

Tiggerbabe
17th-October-2005, 07:38 PM
Well............most of us will be in Scotland :whistle:

:D :clap:

Heather
17th-October-2005, 11:21 PM
Don't worry Di......it won't all be 60s & 70s.......there will be the usual mixture of swing & WCS music.........oh..and a wee bluesy set right at the end:wink:

Oh good!!! I'll make a point of dragging you off the stage for a wee dance then!:wink:

:hug: :kiss:
Heather,
xx

spindr
18th-October-2005, 09:00 AM
Jive-o-lution in Whitchurch have a dance on the 21st.
And their last mail says that the Jive Aces will also be playing :clap:

SpinDr

P.S. Slippy shoes might be an idea -- the school gym floor can get a little bit tacky.

Paul F
18th-October-2005, 09:35 AM
Think I am going to try Twyford this Friday. Its a venue I have yet to visit since moving down to the tropical south.
I went a while back to a freestyle which was really good and the freestyle bit on a Friday seems to go on until 11:30 so it sounds as though it could be a good night.

jivecat
18th-October-2005, 10:03 AM
Isn't there a freestyle on in Banbury?

senorita
18th-October-2005, 12:11 PM

Thinking of going to Chesham with the girls :whistle:

could always pick you up at jct13?? :nice:

Zebra Woman
18th-October-2005, 12:18 PM
Thinking of going to Chesham with the girls :whistle:

could always pick you up at jct13?? :nice:

Chesham for me too...I will be driving from Junction 13. :D

ZW x

senorita
18th-October-2005, 12:44 PM
Chesham for me too...I will be driving from Junction 13. :D

ZW x

I only have 5 words to say to you young zebra..
yum yum nam nam yepeeeeeee :clap: :clap: :cheers: :flower: :hug: :nice:

latinlover
18th-October-2005, 02:30 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread,
but is there ANY MJ on Saturday 22 October around London?

Missy D
19th-October-2005, 08:59 AM
Sorry to hijack this thread,
but is there ANY MJ on Saturday 22 October around London?
:yeah:

Minnie M
19th-October-2005, 09:05 AM
not too far outside London:-

Ashtead Peace Memorial Halls in two halls, DJs Colin Shaul, John Miller, Miss C/ Blues & swing with Greg Davidson/ Nelson Rose/Alex C

or for a bit of 40's swing :-
St.Aloysius Club, 20 Phoenix Rd. NW1 - Resident DJ: Voodoo Doll Guest DJ Tim’s Jumpin’ Jive General level Lindy Hop Class: 7.45pm Music & Dancing from 8.30pm 'til Midnight

or a taste of Zydeco
All Saints Arts Centre, 122 Oakleigh Road North, Whetstone, N20 ZYDERYTHMICS, plus class at 8.00pm x Phil Underwood

full details on my list :-

Paul F
19th-October-2005, 09:26 AM
not too far outside London:-

Ashtead Peace Memorial Halls in two halls, DJs Colin Shaul, John Miller, Miss C/ Blues & swing with Greg Davidson/ Nelson Rose/Alex C

I got really excited about this as Greg's DJing. Then I found out it finishes at 11:30 :tears: :tears:

stompin' phil
19th-October-2005, 01:32 PM
[QUOTE=Minnie M]not too far outside London:-

Minnie :flower: i think you will find that John Miller is Djing as usual at Stompin' Fridays in Brighton with Viktor this Friday 7.45-midnight.
King Alfred Leisure centre
Kingsway.

Stompin' Phil

Minnie M
19th-October-2005, 09:55 PM
[QUOTE=Minnie M]not too far outside London:-

Minnie :flower: i think you will find that John Miller is Djing as usual at Stompin' Fridays in Brighton with Viktor this Friday 7.45-midnight.
King Alfred Leisure centre
Kingsway.

Stompin' Phil

woops............ got the 21st mixed up with the 22nd Oct thread - ASHFORD is on the SATURDAY 22nd OCTOBER
sorry :blush: (thanks Phil)

If you manage to get to Brighton, you will not be dissappointed if you go to Phil's Stompin :worthy: great air conditioned hall, really good floor, Viktor teacher and the natives are very friendly

NB: think the Zydeco one is Saturday too - gosh I am having a real senior moment - must be all this BFG excitement

latinlover
20th-October-2005, 08:42 AM
I got really excited about this as Greg's DJing. Then I found out it finishes at 11:30 :tears: :tears:

yes, what is this 11.30 thing?:mad:
aren't we all grown-ups now?
Many Salsa nights go on til midnight in the week and til 2 AM ON THE WEEKEND!!!
I suppose salseros :waycool: are just that bit more dangerous than us.............:whistle:

David Bailey
20th-October-2005, 09:40 AM
yes, what is this 11.30 thing?:mad:
aren't we all grown-ups now?
Many Salsa nights go on til midnight in the week and til 2 AM ON THE WEEKEND!!!
I suppose salseros :waycool: are just that bit more dangerous than us.............:whistle:
Oh, are we? Excellent... :devil:

No, it's just that salsa sessions tend to be in pubs / clubs, which usually have a bit more lattitude for late opening. MJ nights are usually in bigger halls / community centres, and these tend to have more strict restrictions on closing times.

It's a shame - for example, Greenwich finishes before midnight on a Saturday night, and apparently that's a good night. But that's the way the business is set up at the moment.

Paul F
20th-October-2005, 09:53 AM
It's a shame - for example, Greenwich finishes before midnight on a Saturday night, and apparently that's a good night. But that's the way the business is set up at the moment.

Maybe its just me but I seem to have come across this phenomenon quite a lot since moving down south. A venue may open slightly earlier and finish before midnight.

Its probably down to cost but what I've also noticed is that people dont tend to get there any earlier. :confused:
Back up north it was usual to find a venue opening at 8, not many people turn up until 9 and then get 3/4 hours of dancing in. It was the dreaded first hour.
From what I have seen a venue opening its doors at 7:30 doesn't entice people in any earlier even though its finishing at a similar time to a school night. :rolleyes:

David Bailey
20th-October-2005, 10:00 AM
From what I have seen a venue opening its doors at 7:30 doesn't entice people in any earlier even though its finishing at a similar time to a school night. :rolleyes:
That's probably true - it could be that people don't want to be uncool and arrive early, or that some people have commitments (i.e. children) which mean they can't generally leave the house before little Johnny is tucked up in bed.

Or that (ahem :blush: ) they're so disorganised they don't even think about where they're going until 8pm that night anyway...

DianaS
21st-October-2005, 09:58 AM
Anyone else fancy meeting at Banbury tonight??:cheers:
Never tried it and have taken the phone off the hook No interruptions this week!

D

jivecat
21st-October-2005, 11:04 AM
Anyone else fancy meeting at Banbury tonight??:cheers:
Never tried it and have taken the phone off the hook No interruptions this week!

D

I do, but I'm probably going to Coventry. :sick: It was grim last time I went! I reckon it would take well over an hour ro reach Banbury. Anyone know if it would be worth the effort?

DianaS
22nd-October-2005, 09:41 PM
I do, but I'm probably going to Coventry. :sick: It was grim last time I went! I reckon it would take well over an hour ro reach Banbury. Anyone know if it would be worth the effort?

Hi JC-
We popped over to Banbury last night got there just before 10 and had a couple of hours good dancing. (all for £5) It was quieter rather than packed but with a good range of dancers and around seven rather excellent ones that LL and myself passed between us to and fro during the coure of the evening:drool: . There were lots more that looked good but we didn't sample them all as we got stuck on a few favourites who were sittting near to us and danced mainly with them.

People were very friendly there was around 1:2 men to women but we were asked to dance very frequently (around 50% asking and being asked)
People also stopped to talk and find out who you were and where you were from etc.. so from the social angle it was very comfortable.

The venue was clean, no smokers that I noticed, and water served at the bar at a reasonable price. Loos also impeccable if thats your thing! Car parking oppopsite and free.

It goes almost with out saying that the music was excellent :worthy: Jon played some numbers that I had never heard and was delighted by the guys interpretation of them plus some real old MJ hardcore plus would you belive it the Sugar babes I had a brill dance to that hadn't heard it for over a year:rofl: The music had even attracted people from Birmingham just for the night There were dancers from my local venues, I didn't know they were coming but they have been a few times and make it a regular now. And I asked Jon to dance twice :blush: somthing I hadn't done before but it was really easy to grab him cas Adam was also there to mind the decks!

The atmosphere was good and even when the dancing thinned out at the end of the night it gave you more space and the poeple who were still on their feet were well worth the effort.. I had some of the best dances that I've had for ages, mainly becouse I didn't have to mind my space I had room to travel and guys could lead more intracate things and take a few more risks.

It was my kind of place, slightly off the beaten track, not so popular it was killed, some excellent dancers, excellent music and space to express your self. And it finished at 12 which is cool :waycool:

A very well managed venue, if Lucy can put me up again I'll so be there!

jivecat
23rd-October-2005, 11:51 PM
Hi DianaS,
Thanks for that comprehensive review, think I'll make the effort next time it's on. Coventry was a bit more enjoyable this time but the floor is far too small for the numbers attending. I have a bruise on my head from a stray elbow. I got asked to dance lots, just as well as the floor is too small to cruise around with any semblance of dignity.