PDA

View Full Version : Keeping messages...

LMC
11th-October-2005, 09:03 PM
Inspired by this thread (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6628)... - here's a nosy one :D

I used to keep thousands of e-mails. But in the last six months or so I've got brutal - clear out e-mails/PMs if I never re-read them, or they are out of date (e.g. making arrangements to meet next Friday - from May 1998), or they are the type of e-mails that shouldn't be re-read (i.e. ones from "love" interests where it's unhealthy to keep revisiting and trying to read between the lines for stuff that simply isn't there). So I'm a big fan of the delete key :clap:

E-mails, PMs - a regular clear out every so often is, IMO, good for the soul. As well as disk/server space :devil:

I do keep *some* - but most of them go in the bin after a couple of weeks.

Are you a keeper or a deleter? - and what sort of stuff do you keep?

Baruch
11th-October-2005, 09:13 PM
Are you a keeper or a deleter? - and what sort of stuff do you keep?
I'm a deleter mostly, although I do keep a few emails if they're likely to be relevant or useful later. What's the point in cluttering up my hard disk with loads of read messages when they're no use any more?

DavidY
11th-October-2005, 10:21 PM
I'm a keeper. :blush:

David Franklin
11th-October-2005, 10:37 PM
Keeper. Just had a look, about 700MB of archived mail (I quite often get quite large work related attachments). But to put things in perspective, 700MB of HD space costs about 30p.

It doesn't happen often, but sometimes being able to search for an email from 5 years ago has been a life saver...

El Salsero Gringo
11th-October-2005, 10:42 PM
Keeper. Just had a look, about 700MB of archived mail (I quite often get quite large work related attachments). But to put things in perspective, 700MB of HD space costs about 30p.

It doesn't happen often, but sometimes being able to search for an email from 5 years ago has been a life saver...I totally agree.

ChrisA
11th-October-2005, 10:51 PM

... plus, I trust, another 30p for the copies you have on CD, and offsite :innocent:

I'm a keeper too.

Asif
11th-October-2005, 11:17 PM
It doesn't happen often, but sometimes being able to search for an email from 5 years ago has been a life saver...
Or better still, an email with a funny attachment or joke.... :rofl:
BTW - I'm a keeper too!

Aleks
12th-October-2005, 08:16 AM
I'm a deleter.
Any useful info gained from emails/PMs etc gets edited then filed in the appropriate place - my brain!

DianaS
12th-October-2005, 09:18 AM
I'm a deleter too..

And I've just started deleting PMs that are too silly for words without even responding. :cheers:

So any PMs on the vein of "so and so has joined the forum and is doing this :eek: What do you think:whistle: "
or "do you know what so and so is doing" just goes in the bin!

Can't be arsed :clap:
Got a life:cheers:

LMC
12th-October-2005, 09:18 AM
I confess, I'm a keeper for work stuff - agree that it can be a life saver

I had a system message telling me off this morning for overrunning the mail server limits and had to save some of it to the file server and delete it :blush: - must do some housekeeping sometime

Piglet
12th-October-2005, 10:11 AM
I'm a deleter in the main - although I like to keep special messages from special people :flower:

jivecat
12th-October-2005, 10:23 AM
I keep everything but never look at it.

killingtime
12th-October-2005, 10:32 AM
Keeper (surprised :D). Disk space is cheap. Full text searching on a few thousand emails is quick and, even though I probably never will, I can reread some emails. I do delete social event emails but then I've probably copied the event into my calendar (if I could make it) so really I'm just replacing one long term storage with another. GMail offers over 2.5GB of space; it takes a lot of email (or big attachments) to fill that up.

Dreadful Scathe
12th-October-2005, 12:42 PM
Im a deleter of emails. Most work emails are nonsense - I keep the important bits in other documents and delete the rest. I try and keep my mail box to less than 30 emails. Email is badly misused in my opinion, I dont want to know that there are "cakes available downstairs" when Im working from home and the "downstairs" is the office in London :). Although admittedly the last time it was at least funny, the IT bod had added "for those not in the office - balance the cost of travel down here to get the cakes against buying your own". Not that cakes are the issue, spurious emails are :).

stewart38
13th-October-2005, 12:50 PM
I keep everything but never look at it.

I keep everything and look at 2% of it again

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
13th-October-2005, 12:54 PM
I'm a deleter in the main - although I like to keep special messages from special people :flower:
:yeah: :hug:

Dreadful Scathe
13th-October-2005, 01:24 PM
I keep everything and look at 2% of it again

i'll bet its more like 3.5% !

Rebecca
13th-October-2005, 01:36 PM
This is when my hoarding tendencies just get out of hand. I have personal emails saved from who knows when, the administrator at work keeps telling me my mailbox is nearing full, and I'm almost brought to tears whenever I need to empty my text inbox :tears:

Ridiculous I know, but when I've been through hard times in the past it was really helpful to have a read through old messages from friends - a real pick-me-up.

I had an ex-boyfriend who was great at the deleting thing. Whenever he recieved a text he'd read it and delete it straight away. I have to admit being offended though when I'd spent time constructing the perfect message to convey my feelings, only for it to be deleted. Surely a few days in archive couldn't hurt :angry:

bigdjiver
13th-October-2005, 02:41 PM
Keeper. Big-time.

under par
13th-October-2005, 08:37 PM
deleter

get rid of the drivel.

work place e/mail don't even open most of it D E L E T E it get on with life.
:yeah:
Any really funny stuff or extremely personal store appropriately.:flower:

Cruella
15th-October-2005, 09:32 PM
Read it, then delete it immediately, goes for emails, texts, PMs.

dee
15th-October-2005, 09:38 PM

:yeah:

WittyBird
16th-October-2005, 02:59 AM
I tend to keep all Jokes and funnies that I get as they can be ressurected (sp?) from time to time and some of them cheer me up that I like to keep reading them, also if i get an email from a friend or colleague that is especially nice I will keep for days when I need encouragement or an ego boost! Other than that everything else is filed in 'The round file - WPB or file 13 as it never gets used. On the professional / work side of it most things have to be filed and kept for future reference and audits, apart from the ones that start with ' whose coming to the pub at lunch?':what:

CeeCee
16th-October-2005, 09:04 AM
originally posted by LMC
Are you a keeper or a deleter?

Definitely a deleter.

This goes for emails, text messages, PMs, etc.
I'm not a hoarder by nature so this extends to other areas of my life too.

If I'm not using it I don't keep it.

I frequently dispose of letters, photographs, CDs, DVDs, videos, magazines, newspapers, books, clothes, shoes, bags, make up, jewellery, kitchen paraphanalia, bathroom bits, etc.
I don't keep things 'just in case' because so far I've never needed anything that I've thrown out.

Lory
16th-October-2005, 10:13 PM
Definitely a deleter.

This goes for emails, text messages, PMs, etc.
I'm not a hoarder by nature so this extends to other areas of my life too.

If I'm not using it I don't keep it.

:yeah: All the important things are kept in your head and heart anyway!;)

but I draw the line at old photographs... (the secret with this is, brutally bin the rubbish ones when you first develop/upload them in the first place! :wink: )

Bangers & Mash
16th-October-2005, 11:28 PM
Inspired by this thread (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6628)... - here's a nosy one :D

...or they are the type of e-mails that shouldn't be re-read (i.e. ones from "love" interests where it's unhealthy to keep revisiting and trying to read between the lines for stuff that simply isn't there). So I'm a big fan of the delete key :clap:

deleted those. that removed 2 emails in the last 42 years (and I'm not even that old yet :tears: )

Other than that I am a keeper. I have cds going back around 10 years now with every email I ever received. This proved a life saver once in an industrial tribunal.