PDA

View Full Version : Mobile phomes - insurance?

Northants Girly
11th-October-2005, 04:41 PM
As someone who has always, up to now, been a Pay as You Go customer I havn't had to think about mobile phone insurance.
(I'm only just getting my head round all the different tariff palarva!) :rolleyes:

So . . . .

What is the average rate that folk pay for mobile insurance each month?

and where do ya buy it from? :confused:

Any advice much appreciated :D

El Salsero Gringo
11th-October-2005, 05:41 PM
I used to pay £5 per month, collected through my bill (with Orange) but see this also:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/10/mobile_insurance/

WittyBird
11th-October-2005, 06:38 PM
Endsleigh Insurance used to do a mobile phone insurance for PAYG customers which was a one off pymt of £25.00 which covered your phone for loss as well as accidental damage and theft (that was when i worked there a few years ago) Not sure if they still do but you could give them a call (probably get some obnoxious spotty kid but its worth it) :rofl:

tsh
12th-October-2005, 11:08 AM
It's not usually worth insuring something you can afford to pay for yourself. i.e, insure your house, cause you can't afford 100k to re-build it, but don't insure your phone or pets if you can afford to spend £100 without having to save up for it.

Sean

Dorothy
12th-October-2005, 11:20 AM
:yeah:
If you can afford to replace the handset, I would not bother insuring it. Especially if you are pay as you go.

Dorothy
12th-October-2005, 11:21 AM
PS
Having said that, my son had his stolen last year from the back seat of a friend's car, he was devastated. It was a brand new top-of range handset.

El Salsero Gringo
12th-October-2005, 11:23 AM
PS
Having said that, my son had his stolen last year from the back seat of a friend's car, he was devastated. It was a brand new top-of range handset....and my sister-in-law's phone was stolen from the shop she was working in the day after she bought it; it was replaced by the insurance company the next day.

senorita
12th-October-2005, 11:45 AM
As someone who has always, up to now, been a Pay as You Go customer I havn't had to think about mobile phone insurance.
(I'm only just getting my head round all the different tariff palarva!) :rolleyes:

So . . . .

What is the average rate that folk pay for mobile insurance each month?

and where do ya buy it from? :confused:

Any advice much appreciated :D

I used to have a pay as u go phone like your goodself but ended up costing me more than £10-£15 with txt only

I saw this deal & thought wow! ;-) T-Mobile contract for £3 a month 750min free to any landline after 6pm wkday eve and anytime at wkends & 50txt msgs free, so I cancelled my pay as u go and took this offer! I have a security code to get into my phone so making it more harder & giving me time to cancel before the thief uses it...so I hadnt bothered with insurance. ;-))

Lynn
13th-October-2005, 10:12 AM
It's not usually worth insuring something you can afford to pay for yourself. i.e, insure your house, cause you can't afford 100k to re-build it, but don't insure your phone or pets if you can afford to spend £100 without having to save up for it. You haven't had to take a pet to the vet's recently then?:whistle:

Isn't a mobile phone normally covered under Personal Possessions cover for your house? Yes there would be an excess but then again if you are paying say £5 per month thats £60 per year anyway.

And note - if you have separate mobile phone insurance and its also covered under your house insurance this is then 'dual insurance' - both are liable to pay out on any loss, so they may share - the mobile phone insurance co may contact your home insurance co to get them to contribute to what they have paid you for the claim. This certainly happens with travel insurance - ie if you put a claim on your travel insurance they pay you, then claim part of that back from your household insurers or vice versa.

(Used to be a insurance claims handler).