PDA

View Full Version : Fast way to playing music - Guitar or Piano?

Gus
11th-October-2005, 02:07 PM
OK ... I know this may be a dumb questyion (no change for me) ... but I wondered if there may be an informed opinion out there.

I would LOVE to be able to play music again. In my early years (when Nelson was a cadet) I played piano up to grade 3. I tried to play again 10 yaers ago but gave up. The point is that I really fancy playing again. I first of all though about buying a keyboard so I could plug it through the PC and generate music that way, but I have alwys been in love with the concept of playing an accoustic guitar (..day dream of strumming guitar to bunch of mates singing along while wood fire burns gently on a deserted Californian beach....). BUT ... tried it ages ago and found it hard...

SO ... can any numpty like me get to grips with keyboard or guitar ... are there learning methods that don't require 40 hours of practice a week?

El Salsero Gringo
11th-October-2005, 02:14 PM
OK ... I know this may be a dumb questyion (no change for me) ... but I wondered if there may be an informed opinion out there.

I would LOVE to be able to play music again. In my early years (when Nelson was a cadet) I played piano up to grade 3. I tried to play again 10 yaers ago but gave up. The point is that I really fancy playing again. I first of all though about buying a keyboard so I could plug it through the PC and generate music that way, but I have alwys been in love with the concept of playing an accoustic guitar (..day dream of strumming guitar to bunch of mates singing along while wood fire burns gently on a deserted Californian beach....). BUT ... tried it ages ago and found it hard...

SO ... can any numpty like me get to grips with keyboard or guitar ... are there learning methods that don't require 40 hours of practice a week?I started the piano about six months ago (probably putting in about 5-8 hours a week); I heard Jules Holland on the suggesting people shouldn't let a late start put them off learning a while back, and that echoed round my head for a few months before I made an effort to get going. Anyhow, it seems to be going reasonably well so far. I try to treat it a bit like dancing: to enjoy the "learning to play the piano", rather than treating it as a chore on the way to "being able to play the piano." I suppose the thing about practice is to find exercise/pieces that you enjoy, basic as they are, then it isn't a schlep to get down to it. And the other thing is to find a teacher you get on with :wink:

Maybe we could start a Forum beginner musician's band?

dee
11th-October-2005, 02:35 PM

Count me in :flower: I used to play the piano when i was a wee lass, i still have my electric keyboard in the loft. I was getting along really well with my piano teacher until he was arrested for touching up little boys :eek: was a shame as i was getting on so well at the time, but was unaware of his actions. Ive always wanted to play the guitar, i love guitar music i got as far as buying one but never took any lessons, ive heard most people who do play teach themselves.

Night Owl
11th-October-2005, 10:31 PM
Heh if we all practice we could start a live ceroc band

I couldplonk along on my bass guitar and drums

not at the same time tho

not perfect at either but heh who is

I`m just learning from instuctional dvd`s and play along with my fav music

lol

ChrisA
11th-October-2005, 10:53 PM
You'd need orange suits.

CJ
12th-October-2005, 12:23 AM
In a "don't want to have to put in too much effort, but just piddle around a bit and become almost competent enough to get me through a song or two" kinda way, I'd say guitar is mucheasier to learn than piano..;)

Anyone can PM me for long winded technical reasons.... (where's the yawning smillie?!?)

Alykat
12th-October-2005, 12:44 AM

SO ... can any numpty like me get to grips with keyboard or guitar ... are there learning methods that don't require 40 hours of practice a week?

Gus & anyone else who is interested, if you'd like to PM me I can guide you through some options. My opinion is everybody can get enjoyment out of music, and if there's an instrument you want to learn it is always possible to get to a good standard.

As with everything, practice is important and will speed up your learning process, but it's all about how you practise, not how long. Again, if anyone wants tips I can provide these too.

Go for it :D :cool:

Feelingpink
12th-October-2005, 07:52 AM
You'd need orange suits.Make a change from yellow ones :wink:

Tessalicious
13th-October-2005, 11:55 AM

SO ... can any numpty like me get to grips with keyboard or guitar ... are there learning methods that don't require 40 hours of practice a week?If you still want to learn acoustic guitar, despite the fact that this would be starting from scratch, rather than piano which you have had some previous practice in, then I think you've answered your own question really.

I would also agree with CJ that the guitar is an easier instrument to learn than the piano. As soon as you've learnt two or three related chords (A, D, E for example, which is unlikely to take long) you can play a much bigger range of simple pop songs than you can in the same amount of time learning the piano. Every new chord you learn expands your repertoire, and technique is as minimal as you want it to be. On t'other hand, if you are a classical fanatic, guitar is just frustrating because the first thing you try to learn is Rodrigo's Concerto de Aranjuez...:sick:

Best of all, you don't really need a teacher to learn guitar, as long as you have a) a good tutor book and b) a reasonably good ear so you can hear when it is wrong, or alternatively c) some good friends with b) who owe you a favour and have a lot of patience. There's a book selling on ebay for £11 at the moment, or go to your local music shop and ask for advice.

Good luck, and enjoy!

I'm looking forward to hearing Gus's acoustic Latin extravaganza at the next Ashtons...home grown talent and all that :devil:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
13th-October-2005, 12:49 PM
Hmmm...this a hard one Gus. If you've already tried Piano, and were quite good at it then why not take it up again? But if you weren't enjoying it then maybe you should try the guitar, aparantly it's easier :whistle:
I tried Bass Guitar for SG's, but wasn't really too good, I was getting a bit better...then the year ended :rofl: I started those self teach piano books last year, but kinda lost my motivation. I only had a keyboard to practice on, which was quite old, I've been playing keyboard for 10 years. I prefer Xylophone myself, but I don't currently own one :whistle: :rofl:

Tony M
13th-October-2005, 01:13 PM
Hi Gus,

I have been playing guitar, in bands, on and off, for the last 23 years.
If you do decide to pursue playing guitar, come and have a chat with me at Jango.

If you don't have a guitar at the moment, and would like to "try before you buy", I can lend you one.
:cheers:

Seahorse
14th-October-2005, 07:18 PM
Not such a silly idea! I'd love to play something... was hounded out of music class at 5yrs for using tin whistle in the recorder class... instead now I just go and watch others dance - Rambert at Sadlers Wells anyone?

Lynn
14th-October-2005, 11:30 PM
I can't remember what grade I got to in piano (not very far, maybe 2) - I still have a keyboard about somewhere. I taught myself guitar. I didn't have the time or self discipline to spend doing much practising and tended to prefer to play by ear. That may be why I ended up playing the guitar more than the keyboard as you only have to think about the chords (my playing by ear on the keyboard amounts to finding the melody with one hand and chords with the other which is incredibly basic I know, and I have no idea what the chords are, just what sounds right!)

So although I'm not a musician, I would agree with the for just enjoying playing some music, the guitar would be the easier option.

jiveknight
15th-October-2005, 07:38 PM

Yes, Vince, our pianist, teaches and even does free tips by email now and again (piano and guitar - most styles). :clap: