PDA

View Full Version : When to trim my bush

dee
11th-October-2005, 12:58 PM
Calling all gardening experts

Im no gardener and cant afford to get one in so i am tempting to do the work myself, what i need to know is:-

1, When is the right time to prune my apple trees?

2, When and how do i prune rose bushes?

3, When should i split plants?

Hope someone can help :flower:

Icey
11th-October-2005, 01:04 PM
Are you going for the "Innuendo" award at the BFG? :rofl: :rofl:

Dreadful Scathe
11th-October-2005, 01:46 PM
Gardening, is very much like making love to a beautiful woman. First you have to check the bush is neatly trimmed then ...(ill hand over to other budding swiss tony's, got to work again ;) )

Martin
11th-October-2005, 04:53 PM
Damn, wrong thread :blush:

Looked real interesting to begin with :hug: :eek:

LMC
11th-October-2005, 06:17 PM
Regularly of course :rolleyes:

I do mine once every year, around Christmas time, without fail.

Seriously, winter, when trees/bushes (of the garden variety) are dormant is the best time to hack 'em around - cut horizontal stumps at an angle, not flat, so that rainwater runs off rather than sitting on top, which could make them rot.

I don't know about splitting plants, that implies horticultural knowledge rather than knowledge acquired from experience of chopping A LOT of things down... did you know I know how to use a chainsaw? - no, really! Not certified though :tears:

MartinHarper
11th-October-2005, 06:26 PM
Gardening, is very much like making love to a beautiful woman. First you have to check the bush is neatly trimmed then ...

... make sure you have plenty of hoes, for hoeing around the base. Keep the bush wet with your hose, and ...

dee
11th-October-2005, 06:43 PM
I don't know about splitting plants, that implies horticultural knowledge rather than knowledge acquired from experience of chopping A LOT of things down... did you know I know how to use a chainsaw? - no, really! Not certified though :tears:

Great LMC so when are you coming over with the saw?:whistle:

WittyBird
11th-October-2005, 06:58 PM
If you look after it on a daily basis then you shouldnt have to hack at it. Sometimes its good to let it grow a little before you prune it right back. I would suggest as its so overgrown that you trim it right back and then start again when you may be able to get it into a lovely shape. :rolleyes:

David Franklin
11th-October-2005, 08:14 PM
Damn, wrong thread :blush:

Looked real interesting to begin with :hug: :eek:Funnily enough, I read the title and the thread was about exactly what I expected...

Daisy Chain
11th-October-2005, 09:36 PM
Calling all gardening experts

2, When and how do i prune rose bushes?

3, When should i split plants?

:flower:

Funnily enough, I was out in my garden trimming my bush earlier this evening but I was disturbed by my neighbour who came out to see if he could help.

2. Rose bushes are best pruned in late Feb/early March - just before they launch into growth. Cut to an outward facing bud. Aim for a bowl shaped open bush :eek:

3. Now is a very good time to divide herbaceous perennials. Gives them time to settle in and put down new roots before hard winter frosts hits. However, you can also do them in Spring just before they start to grow again.

I suggest you come round my house at 20:30 every Friday night and we'll watch Gardener's World on BBC1 although it's not the same without the lovely Chris Beardshaw. He can trim my bush any time...

Daisy

(AKA Anita Bush)

Asif
11th-October-2005, 09:54 PM
Funnily enough, I was out in my garden trimming my bush earlier this evening but I was disturbed by my neighbour who came out to see if he could help....[snip]...I suggest you come round my house at 20:30 every Friday night...
Would it not be easier doing it in the bathroom! :really: Can i come round to your house on Friday too :yum:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
11th-October-2005, 10:09 PM
I was going to comment, but I better not :blush: ....

Icey
12th-October-2005, 08:33 AM
did you know I know how to use a chainsaw? - no, really! Not certified though :tears:

:eek: :eek: Remind me to stay on your good side!!! :rofl:

dee
12th-October-2005, 10:12 AM
Funnily enough, I was out in my garden trimming my bush earlier this evening but I was disturbed by my neighbour who came out to see if he could help.

2. Rose bushes are best pruned in late Feb/early March - just before they launch into growth. Cut to an outward facing bud. Aim for a bowl shaped open bush :eek:

3. Now is a very good time to divide herbaceous perennials. Gives them time to settle in and put down new roots before hard winter frosts hits. However, you can also do them in Spring just before they start to grow again.

I suggest you come round my house at 20:30 every Friday night and we'll watch Gardener's World on BBC1 although it's not the same without the lovely Chris Beardshaw. He can trim my bush any time...

Daisy

(AKA Anita Bush)

Thanks for that Daisy, my mum used to help do my garden but now she has passed on im going to have to learn how to do it myself :sick: I will have to watch gardeners world with you and Asif on friday, will look forward to it :hug: