PDA

View Full Version : Serenity

Lou
10th-October-2005, 04:16 PM
Has anyone else seen this fab movie yet - or is it just li'l ol' me? :whistle:

Groovy Dancer
10th-October-2005, 04:24 PM

Haven't seen it yet. But I have been told that it is great.:)

Asif
10th-October-2005, 04:26 PM
What is it?

Dreadful Scathe
10th-October-2005, 04:42 PM
i hope to see it soon - got Firefly and still not watched it :( busy busy busy

Lou
10th-October-2005, 04:49 PM
What is it?
http://www.serenitymovie.com/
:D

i hope to see it soon - got Firefly and still not watched it busy busy busy
You don't need to watch Firefly first, however you'll find you'll understand the characters more if you do. But the movie does actually stand on its own.

It's a tad violent for my tastes, however it's totally edge of your seat action stuff, the humour is very dry and dark (totally Whedonesque) and I did enjoy it very much.

killingtime
10th-October-2005, 06:00 PM
As one of those FireFly fans I have been looking forward to the movie for ages. I could talk, at length, about it but I'm sure I'd bore lots of people and spoiler it for others. So I shan't.

Very much enjoyed the film :drool:. Then again I absolutely loved the TV series.

ducasi
10th-October-2005, 07:27 PM
So is it Yet Another tedious Sci-Fi flick based on a TV programme that never quite made it?

(Dons asbestos suit and ducks...)

Dreadful Scathe
10th-October-2005, 08:09 PM
off the top of my head I cant actually think of a tedious sci-fi feature film based on a TV series that "never quite made it". It sounds like you can think of a lot of examples ;)

David Bailey
10th-October-2005, 08:19 PM
I'm going to see it next week - it does look great, and it's had some great reviews.

FirstMove
10th-October-2005, 11:52 PM
Saw it on Saturday and enjoyed it. Lots of people left before the end- too highbrow for Worcestrians I expect. Or there was a freestyle on and no-one told me :(

I haven't seen any of FireFly, whatever that is.

killingtime
11th-October-2005, 12:07 AM
I haven't seen any of FireFly, whatever that is.

The TV series that was canned by the company which (since Fox owned rights to the series) couldn't be produced by someone else. The film was made since Fox didn't have any right to stop that. Anyway the TV series is very good. The characters are very interesting and colourful and that's what makes it for me.

Lou
11th-October-2005, 07:37 AM
Saw it on Saturday and enjoyed it. Lots of people left before the end- too highbrow for Worcestrians I expect. Or there was a freestyle on and no-one told me :(
:sad:

I'm just too sad. I saw it on Thursday afternoon! :blush: However, it was with a very appreciative audience, who were all absolutely captivated throughout.

I could lend you a couple of Firefly DVDs, if you like. :)

As one of those FireFly fans I have been looking forward to the movie for ages. I could talk, at length, about it but I'm sure I'd bore lots of people and spoiler it for others. So I shan't.

Very much enjoyed the film . Then again I absolutely loved the TV series.
:clap: I knew there'd be someone else here! :D

Clive Long
19th-October-2005, 11:15 PM

Very much enjoyed the film :drool:. Then again I absolutely loved the TV series.
Considered Clive Long review of Serenity

Loud.

Violent (almost excessively so) I winced several times and I ain't sqeamish.

Confusing at times keeping up with who was in the Rebel Alliance (or was that another movie?)

Witty and clever dialog.

Great baddie.

Visually very "rich" - in the vein of H2G2; Arthur speaking about the Vogon Battle Cruiser "I thought spaceships very supposed to be all gleaming. This one's rather .... squalid"

Clive

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
19th-October-2005, 11:40 PM
I saw it last week...and loved it! :clap: I don't watch much TV, or much Sci Fi, but really liked this movie. I only went as a friend asked me to go with her to see it for the eigth time, I didn't what it was about until we were walking to the cinema. I was a bit hesitant at first as I didn't think that i'd like it, but I was wrong, it was fab! Great how they managed to lighten it up with some humour :D

David Bailey
20th-October-2005, 08:48 AM
I liked it too. Couple of niggling points, which as a non-Firefly person I found a bit strange:
- What's with all these wussy 6-shooters, I want blasters damnit!
- What was all that stuff about collecting the Amora (sp?) woman - seemed a bit redundant to me.

(Before I get deluged with answers, I just want to point out that I don't really care - but they weren't immediately obvious elements for a stand-alone movie, and could maybe have been addressed a bit better)

Apart from that, great - especially loved the villains, (Reavers and The Operative Guy), both scary and believable.

And yes, the dialog, characterisation, and storylines were very good.

I'm probably getting the FireFly DVD - anyone know if it's going to be resurrected on the back of this one's success?

killingtime
20th-October-2005, 09:56 AM
I liked it too. Couple of niggling points, which as a non-Firefly person I found a bit strange:
- What's with all these wussy 6-shooters, I want blasters damnit!
- What was all that stuff about collecting the Amora (sp?) woman - seemed a bit redundant to me.

(Before I get deluged with answers, I just want to point out that I don't really care - but they weren't immediately obvious elements for a stand-alone movie)

I'll give you a quick two answers.

It's a Western in space. They've got six shooters.
There was a romantic interest between her and Mal. It did feel like they had to find a way to reintroduce her but it kept the fans (me) happy. Also it allowed the line "if I'm not back in an hour take this ship...".

And yes, the dialog, characterisation, and storylines were very good.

It was the strongest point of the series. Joss Whedon tells a good tale.

I'm probably getting the FireFly DVD - anyone know if it's going to be resurrected on the back of this one's success?

As in a second season; no (well stranger things have happened). Fox still own the rights to the TV series and they have expressed no interest in making another one. There might well be another film though.

The price of the DVD might be slightly inflated at the moment. I bought it for £14 a few months back.

LMC
20th-October-2005, 10:24 AM
Objectively?

The plot is cliché and derivative with holes you could fly an Airbus through (Our Heroine killed *how* many bad guys and still only ended up with a few artistically placed small splashes of blood on her, even though the axes were dripping?)

But I'm 70% geek, I loved every minute - Joss Whedon's script really made this a fun film. Think Blakes 7 dragged into the noughties about covers it...

LMC
20th-October-2005, 12:49 PM
Heh heh, I notice that I'm not the only one to have pinched a quote from the film for my signature...

*waves @KatieR* - haven't spotted any others... yet...

"Let's be bad guys!"

KatieR
20th-October-2005, 01:08 PM
I couldn't resist :)

David Bailey
20th-October-2005, 03:43 PM
Hmmm... would I be uber-sad if I said I could live with seeing it again?

KatieR
20th-October-2005, 03:48 PM

Don't knock it till you've tried it :whistle: (re the signature) we can read the signature if the skin is in blue!!!

killingtime
20th-October-2005, 04:06 PM

Ah; welcome DavidJames. Take a seat.

LMC
20th-October-2005, 04:10 PM
OK, you got me...

Budge up guys...

David Bailey
20th-October-2005, 04:28 PM
(re the signature) we can read the signature if the skin is in blue!!!
Yes, that was pointed out to me recently. Oh well, no plan survives contact with the Kent House Hussars...

KatieR
20th-October-2005, 04:39 PM
Yes, that was pointed out to me recently. Oh well, no plan survives contact with the Kent House Hussars...

So when can we expect to see you??? You may just find you like it!! Shock horror :eek: !!!

David Bailey
20th-October-2005, 04:44 PM
So when can we expect to see you??? You may just find you like it!! Shock horror :eek: !!!
Nahh, thats where the... Good Dancers go, isn't it?

(Remember: insert the pause, then put the "Good Dancers" in breathless tones, to get the full effect. Text is so limiting :( )

KatieR
20th-October-2005, 04:51 PM
Nahh, thats where the... Good Dancers go, isn't it?

(Remember: insert the pause, then put the "Good Dancers" in breathless tones, to get the full effect. Text is so limiting :( )

Excuses Excuses..... :whistle: So... Monday night then? 8pm sharp!

jiveknight
20th-October-2005, 08:48 PM
I thought it was a great movie! Haven't seen Firefly yet but want to now. Apparently they insisted on using the original TV show cast for the movie instead of changing it and using well known stars, seems to have paid off.

It was number box office in the UK last week. Like Han Solo meets Kirk with a hint of Clint. :waycool:

David Bailey
20th-October-2005, 09:09 PM
It was number box office in the UK last week. Like Han Solo meets Kirk with a hint of Clint. :waycool:
Yes, apparently some women quite like Mal and his misbehaving... :whistle:

Divissima
20th-October-2005, 09:30 PM
I loved every minute - Joss Whedon's script really made this a fun film. Genuine question for the Firefly fans out there - how does it compare to Joss Whedon's other TV series? I'm a big fan of his other stuff but have never seen Firefly (very remiss of me).

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
20th-October-2005, 11:44 PM
I'm actually really tempted to go and see the film again. I never usually see any movie twice, (apart from Return of the King) but maybe i'll go again :D I'm sure my mate won't mind seeing it for the 8th?...or will it be 9th time? lol

Lou
21st-October-2005, 01:01 AM
*waves @KatieR* - haven't spotted any others... yet...

:whistle: For the last 2 weeks I had one. But I changed it after the "Singing in Tune in German" post.

Ach. I'll change it back now.

KatieR
21st-October-2005, 10:07 AM
Genuine question for the Firefly fans out there - how does it compare to Joss Whedon's other TV series? I'm a big fan of his other stuff but have never seen Firefly (very remiss of me).

Not having seen the series but have seen the movie, it was really good and I would probably have to 'bond' with the characters more. But after 7 years of being a Buffy and Angel fan it would take a lot to sway me. I think it is different to Buffy and Angel but that is a good thing.

livetojive
24th-October-2005, 02:59 PM

Yes , absolutely fantastic show. Was first introduced to it through a TV series called 'Firefly'. The TV network screwed up the series by not showing the shows in the proper order and so it was quite confusing to figure out at first, I think that's why it got cancelled. Then through internet downloads and then when the DVD was released, popularity just went off the scale! Bit like how Star Trek got rolling I suppose. I think what really made it seem unique was it's integration of scifi with cowboy/western ... hat's off to Joss ... great idea!

Dreadful Scathe
12th-January-2006, 05:05 PM
Serenity was Brilliant. Just started on Firefly the series. The subject matter is one that has been covered in books quite a lot. By that I mean the idea that as humans colonise other planets the resulting settlements will have a very varied technological level. It works well. :)

Rhythm King
12th-January-2006, 05:31 PM
I really enjoyed Serenity. I loved Firefly and watched it all, virtually back to back. I've watched several of the episodes over again and am starting to go through them with the commentaries. It's sharply written, has developed, complex characters and the cast have a tremendous chemistry.

I'm looking forward to the release of Serenity on DVD, at the end of February.