PDA

View Full Version : Who's going to Bognor 13-16 January 2006?

Northants Girly
10th-October-2005, 02:43 PM
Just wondering who was thinking about coming to Bognor on the weekend of 13-16 January 2006

and who wasn't thinking of coming so I know whose arms I have to twist :wink:

btw . . . . everyone has to come cos it's my birthday on the Monday and I'll be lookin for birthday dances with ya all :)

I'll bring cake! :D

CJ
10th-October-2005, 02:47 PM
Just wondering who was thinking about coming to Bognor on the weekend of 13-16 January 2006

btw . . . . everyone has to come cos it's my birthday on the Monday and I'll be lookin for birthday dances with ya all :)

Nice way to celebrate your 50th!!!:wink:

senorita
10th-October-2005, 02:53 PM

In fact your wrong again! :yum:
Its her 150th :whistle: ....:rofl:
she's looking friggin damn fine for it wouldnt u say?? :grin: :hug:

Lynn
10th-October-2005, 03:01 PM
Prob not this time.

I nearly got there last year, had flights booked, time off work - then woke up really ill on the Fri morning and had to spend the entire day lying down and most of the weekend in bed! :tears:

CJ
10th-October-2005, 03:05 PM
In fact your wrong again! :yum:
Its her 150th :whistle: ....:rofl:
she's looking friggin damn fine for it wouldnt u say?? :grin: :hug:

no, not really...:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Aleks
10th-October-2005, 03:59 PM

It's my birthday on the Monday too (and Wendy's) - will you bring cake for the three of us if we all make it there?

ducasi
10th-October-2005, 04:15 PM
It's my birthday on the Monday too (and Wendy's) - will you bring cake for the three of us if we all make it there?
Both Capricorn girls... That explains sooooo much!!! :D ;)

Northants Girly
10th-October-2005, 04:25 PM
It's my birthday on the Monday too (and Wendy's) - will you bring cake for the three of us if we all make it there?Absolutely! :D

Cool :waycool:

stewart38
10th-October-2005, 04:54 PM

I would NEVER think she was 50th !!!

Anyway who has been ? what is it like, similar to camber ?

I hear accomedation is better

Aleks
10th-October-2005, 05:10 PM
Both Capricorn girls... That explains sooooo much!!! :D ;)

I think we're of the same Chinese year too.....

ducasi
10th-October-2005, 07:05 PM
It's all fitting in to place... Whoever said that astrology is nonsense obviously hasn't met the two of you! :wink:

ducasi
10th-October-2005, 07:17 PM
Not Pigs or Rabbits by chance?

(Apologies for this continuing diversion...)

Aleks
10th-October-2005, 09:56 PM
Not Pigs or Rabbits by chance?

(Apologies for this continuing diversion...)

erm....rats (or at least I am). We'll be a different element though :wink:.

ducasi
10th-October-2005, 10:46 PM
erm....rats (or at least I am). We'll be a different element though :wink:.
OK... the description of Rats I read sounds great. I'll mark it down as my third favourite Chinese sign.

(Think the discussion can now return to Bognor... :flower: )

Lee
17th-November-2005, 01:21 PM

I'll be there with a small group from Clapham Junction :clap: :clap:

Hope to meet some of you there, and will get Spice & Easy :worthy: to do the intros :waycool:

Lee
I'm blonde, what's your excuse?
Copyright ‘LMC’

wicked blue
17th-November-2005, 07:09 PM
I would NEVER think she was 50th !!!

Anyway who has been ? what is it like, similar to camber ?

I hear accomedation is better

Bognor is definately nicer accomodation, our chalet last year had a seperate lounge which was really nice, rather than the walk through sort at camber.:nice:

Though the two dance rooms are in seperate buildings - so you end up shoe shuffling all night between dance shoes and outside shoes!! :what:

Michelle<3
17th-November-2005, 09:16 PM
The accommodation at Bognor is far superior. I had a microwave and a hairdryer in my chalet this year. You don't need to buy electricity cards either. The meal deal is very good value and saves times and effort - it is like a walk round cafeteria type thing with lots of choice. You need to leave the last class of the day slightly early however if you do it to get into the restaurant before the doors shut.

The main dance floor is shorter and wider than the Camber one.

I am from Kent and there were far less people I knew at Bognor than go to Camber but I am now starting to recognise "regulars" having been on 5 weekenders down south now.

Lee
14th-December-2005, 05:58 PM
Aha, finally found the Bognor thread, so...who's going

I am with about 10-15 people :clap: :clap:

:cheers:

Lee

TiggsTours
14th-December-2005, 06:39 PM
I couldn't vote, because there was no "No I won't be going :D " only a ":tears: "!

Not on your nelly! Not when it clashes with the everso fab Rock Bottoms!

Its my birthday on the Friday too, Friday 13th, ooh errr!:eek:

Swinging bee
16th-December-2005, 04:46 PM

Will 'bee' there, DJing or not, have put my name down tho' to play a few tunes if needed. Not sure in The Boss ( Queen bee) is demo'ing or not. look forward to it hugely, a break from reality and the hum drum of modern life is much neded!

Minnie M
27th-December-2005, 10:11 AM
Countdown has started ...............

16 days to go

BTW Private classes are go at Camber, and on a wooden floor :clap:

TheTramp
27th-December-2005, 03:54 PM

Are they a go at Bognor too? Or do people have to wait until Camber?

Minnie M
27th-December-2005, 04:32 PM
Are they a go at Bognor too? Or do people have to wait until Camber?

woops did mean Bognor, thanks Trampy ....

BTW they are at 'Jacks' at Bognor :clap:

DianaS
27th-December-2005, 04:39 PM
woops did mean Bognor, thanks Trampy ....

BTW they are at 'Jacks' at Bognor :clap:
jisst a sluipp of the tongue eh>??
#Too much sherrie

Lee
28th-December-2005, 05:36 PM
Countdown has started ...............

16 days to go

Must be 15 days to go now

Minnie M
31st-December-2005, 10:02 AM
Could the forumite who asked me to reserve a booking for a private class at this Bognor PLEASE contact me - (PM or email) I am really really sorry, but I can't find your original PM :eek: :sad: :tears:

Mr Cool
31st-December-2005, 01:10 PM
Will 'bee' there, DJing or not, have put my name down tho' to play a few tunes if needed. Not sure in The Boss ( Queen bee) is demo'ing or not. look forward to it hugely, a break from reality and the hum drum of modern life is much neded!

Well I for one hope youre DJ ing every night. Great music (Hope the Queen Bee Gives me a dance or two)

:waycool: :waycool: :waycool: :waycool:

Andy McGregor
2nd-January-2006, 04:40 PM
Sue has just told me we're going. YIPPEEE!!!!

Minnie M
2nd-January-2006, 05:27 PM
Could the forumite who asked me to reserve a booking for a private class at this Bognor PLEASE contact me - (PM or email) I am really really sorry, but I can't find your original PM :eek: :sad: :tears:

found the email/PM :clap:

Lee
3rd-January-2006, 05:48 PM
Must be 10 days to go now

Lee :clap: :clap: :clap:

Swinging bee
3rd-January-2006, 07:23 PM
Well I for one hope youre DJ ing every night. Great music (Hope the Queen Bee Gives me a dance or two)

:waycool: :waycool: :waycool: :waycool:
Queen Bee says she will be delighted to have a buzz around the floor with you!

Andy McGregor
4th-January-2006, 02:47 AM
Queen Bee says she will be delighted to have a buzz around the floor with you!Tell me again, which one of you is the Queen :confused: :devil:

stewart38
4th-January-2006, 11:50 AM
Who has seen the Gender imbalance article posted by Franco on the web site

I cant seem to cut and paste it :sad:

He is saying its illegal

Looks like im going now :clap:

Lynn
4th-January-2006, 12:03 PM
Who has seen the Gender imbalance article posted by Franco on the web site

I cant seem to cut and paste it :sad:

He is saying its illegal He has published a very strong statement on this, looks like there is no possibility of Jivetime weekenders changing to a gender balanced policy at any point in the future.

Lee
4th-January-2006, 12:05 PM
He has published a very strong statement on this, looks like there is no possibility of Jivetime weekenders changing to a gender balanced policy at any point in the future.

So how can Cerco do it for Storm?

Lee

stewart38
4th-January-2006, 12:07 PM
He has published a very strong statement on this, looks like there is no possibility of Jivetime weekenders changing to a gender balanced policy at any point in the future.

can someone paste it and put it on another thread and we can have a debate about it :nice:

Lynn
4th-January-2006, 12:12 PM
So how can Cerco do it for Storm?

LeeAccording to Franco's notice they can't - or shouldn't be.

I'd still prefer to book on a gender balanced weekend and if someone pushes for some legal loophole and forces all weekenders to abandon gender balancing, it certainly wouldn't make me look favourably on whoever was stirring things up.:mad:

But I'm sure Franco isn't stirring things, just explaining his reasons for not introducing gender balancing.:flower:
can someone paste it and put it on another thread and we can have a debate about it :nice: Good idea, maybe a moderator can split this thread for us. :flower: (Sorry!)

stewart38
4th-January-2006, 12:13 PM
According to Franco's notice they can't - or shouldn't be.

I'd still prefer to book on a gender balanced weekend and if someone pushes for some legal loophole and forces all weekenders to abandon gender balancing, it certainly wouldn't make me look favourably on whoever was stirring things up.:mad:

But I'm sure Franco isn't stirring things, just explaining his reasons for not introducing gender balancing.:flower:

well he has a financial interest not to

But some valid points were made

Now someone type it up !

LMC
4th-January-2006, 12:21 PM
I might be a 60wpm typist, but I'm still a lazy b***h who will get around doing anything useful if I possibly can :D

Stewart - you can't copy/paste text because it is a picture - try right click and "save picture" then attach as an image.

Lynn
4th-January-2006, 12:26 PM
well he has a financial interest not to I'm not convinced about that. I haven't seen much evidence of gender balanced weekends suffering financially because of it. Though as every weekend is different and has its own selling points, it would be hard to be sure if gender balancing improved or hindered ticket sales. (As a woman, it would make me book earlier.)

Spice 'n' Easy
4th-January-2006, 12:34 PM
This is the best i can do

Cruella
4th-January-2006, 12:46 PM
This is the best i can do
Oh Riaz, it's very small!!!! :whistle:

TheTramp
4th-January-2006, 12:46 PM
What Franco doesn't actually take into account, is subsection 29(3) of the above act, which states...

(3) For the avoidance of doubt it is hereby declared that where a particular skill is commonly exercised in a different way for men and for women it does not contravene subsection (1) for a person who does not normally exercise it for women to insist on exercising it for a woman only in accordance with his normal practice or, if he reasonably considers it impracticable to do that in her case, to refuse or deliberately omit to exercise it.

Of course, this might be because it's drafted in such a way as to make it almost impossible to understand by any normal human being. Like so much of UK legislation!! :what:

stewart38
4th-January-2006, 12:54 PM
I might be a 60wpm typist, but I'm still a lazy b***h who will get around doing anything useful if I possibly can :D

Stewart - you can't copy/paste text because it is a picture - try right click and "save picture" then attach as an image.

yes i can save it as pic but still cant cut and paste it ?

someone must be able to do it and put it in new thread ??

Rep points to someone who can ?

Cruella
4th-January-2006, 12:55 PM

Of course, this might be because it's drafted in such a way as to make it almost impossible to understand by any normal human being. Like so much of UK legislation!! :what:
:yeah:
Off topic, but this is one of my pet hates:angry: Why can't people write in plain simple English so that we can all understand it!!!!
My husband sometimes gives me his work to proof read, more often than not it could have been written using half the amount of words and still got the same information across to the reader.

Andy McGregor
4th-January-2006, 12:56 PM
What Franco doesn't actually take into account, is subsection 29(3) of the above act, which states...

(3) For the avoidance of doubt it is hereby declared that where a particular skill is commonly exercised in a different way for men and for women it does not contravene subsection (1) for a person who does not normally exercise it for women to insist on exercising it for a woman only in accordance with his normal practice or, if he reasonably considers it impracticable to do that in her case, to refuse or deliberately omit to exercise it.

Of course, this might be because it's drafted in such a way as to make it almost impossible to understand by any normal human being. Like so much of UK legislation!! :what:So, what Franco should really be doing is balancing leads and follows. The result would be that he balances the sexes with a few women over because more of them can lead than there are men that can follow.

If I've read it right Franco might even be able to say "we are taking no more women unless they are able to lead and prepared to do so in any classes they attend if there is an imbalance of leads and follows". This would make it clear that the separation of sexes was based on "a particular skill (that) is commonly exercised in a different way for men and for women".

Spice 'n' Easy
4th-January-2006, 12:59 PM
Oh Riaz, it's very small!!!! :whistle:

Right click, select Save as and it should be large enough for you darling!! :devil:

Swinging bee
4th-January-2006, 01:01 PM
Tell me again, which one of you is the Queen :confused: :devil:
They say it takes one to know one! :rofl:

Tiggerbabe
4th-January-2006, 01:03 PM
Right click, select Save as and it should be large enough for you darling!! :devil:
Left click works too, it should open up in a new window, large enough to read :D

Andy McGregor
4th-January-2006, 01:05 PM
"we are taking no more women ...Of course, Franco might read that as "we are taking no more money". And I think that is what is really at the bottom of the whole thing. Restricting attendance in any way puts a restricion on income and profit. Whilst Franco's numbers are not affected I believe he will make a business decision. And I think he is probably right to do so. Market forces will come to bear eventually and women will book onto weekenders where the sexes are balanced - if there's room. And at that time I predict that Franco will re-read the section of the legislation the Tramp has posted.

The real answer is to get more men dancing and more of them to come on weekenders. So, instead of complaining about there being too few men on a weekender or at a class I suggest that those complainers do something to get more men dancing.

DavidB
4th-January-2006, 01:33 PM
I would read this as it being legal for a man to follow, or for a man to refuse to follow if asked, or to avoid being asked.

(In other words, being a hotshot is legal!)

Now can someone explain how this exemption relates to organising an event?

under par
4th-January-2006, 01:40 PM
The real answer is to get more men dancing and more of them to come on weekenders. So, instead of complaining about there being too few men on a weekender or at a class I suggest that those complainers do something to get more men dancing.

Whooaa! This is my favourite drum to bang.:yeah:

Andy can bang it too though:clap: :clap:

We should all be banging it as often as we can and hopefully the message will get through.

Lee
4th-January-2006, 01:40 PM
I would read this as it being legal for a man to follow, or for a man to refuse to follow if asked, or to avoid being asked.

(In other words, being a hotshot is legal!)

Now can someone explain how this exemption relates to organising an event?

No idea, but i would support anything that keeps a good gender balance.

Lee

onkar
4th-January-2006, 04:00 PM
Went to my first Weekender in Nov 05 (Camber), and got hooked . Will definitely be going Bognor, as well as The Camber events in March & May.

Will be coming from Cambridge, with a couple of regulars from Letchworth.

Onkar

stewart38
4th-January-2006, 04:04 PM

I think as already mention at lot of classes have men over , we dont need more men over :sad:

Just put them in cars to go to weekenders

TheTramp
4th-January-2006, 04:18 PM
I think as already mention at lot of classes have men over , we dont need more men over :sad:

A lot??

How many is a 'lot'?

In Scotland, we have one class (that I know of, and I've been to most of them) that occasionally has men over. That's Dundee on a Wednesday. Which, since it's only just got a permanent venue again, is still on the quiet side.

Every other venue has many women* over. Up here at least. Maybe you should send all those spare men to Scotland.

*They're probably all single too! :whistle:

Minnie M
4th-January-2006, 10:01 PM
8 sleeps to go .....................

David Bailey
4th-January-2006, 11:08 PM
someone must be able to do it and put it in new thread ??

Rep points to someone who can ?
Well, seeing as you're bribing people now... done (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7377).

It should be an interesting debate, it's certainly a strong statement - but I agree, it's best in a separate thread.

Why yes, I am bored, why did you ask?

Barry Shnikov
4th-January-2006, 11:56 PM

Hmmm. Not sure if this is a confession that you are a normal human being, (and therefore doomed to failure as a lawyer) or that you aren't.

:cool:

TheTramp
5th-January-2006, 12:02 AM
That's Dundee on a Wednesday. Which, since it's only just got a permanent venue again, is still on the quiet side.

Just to say that I've just got back from Dundee tonight (Wednesday), and it was a great night. Some fab music. Some fab dances. And the last couple especially :clap:

Barry Shnikov
5th-January-2006, 12:09 AM
Harumph.

What is required is a legal definition of "skill". Not having access to Stroud's 'Words and phrases judicially defined' at this moment, I would nevertheless hazard a guess that it would be hard to persuade a judge that modern jive is a 'skill'.

Legally, the word 'skill' is most commonly used (in my experience) as a label for that which is exercised in a craft or profession. Phrases like 'exercising the ordinary skill of his profession' are used in determining whether, e.g., a company director has fallen below the standards expected of him in running his company.

I'd be surprised if section 29(3) could be extended to cover leisure pursuits like modern jive.

I'd also be surprised if you couldn't find a lawyer who would argue that, of course s. 29(3) applied to dancing.

And that's litigation! :)

Barry Shnikov
5th-January-2006, 12:30 AM
Will be coming from Cambridge, with a couple of regulars from Letchworth.
Onkar

Aah, Cambridge!

I learned to dance there, ya know, upstairs at the Sports and Social Club, spilling out into the tiny pub across the road that was unpleasantly renamed the Tap and Spile, sitting on the stone walls outside in summer...

Ah, but that was the old days, when Phil and Mick took turns teaching on Mondays and Wednesdays and I didn't know a candlestick from a right handed perpetual pretzel...:nice:

Barry Shnikov
5th-January-2006, 12:40 AM
As for gender balance...

Has anybody thought through what instituting a policy of turning away surplus women would do? How would you feel if (for those of you who stand up to pee, imagine you are woman) for practical reasons you were unable to get to venues until, say, 9pm, only to be turned away because the female quota had just been reached? Supposing you later found out that no men turned up after you were refused admission?

If I were running such a business, I'd be facing the possibility of losing, say, £120 worth of income (20 x £6) on a given night due to having to turn 20 women away, without being certain of having 20 men to take up the slack - there's no way I could contemplate it.

It's just about feasible - from a commercial point of view - for one-off events like Bognor and Camber, due to the lead times involved and the popularity. But not for the ordinary weekend freestyles, I wouldn't have thought.

Not all problems have solutions.

TheTramp
5th-January-2006, 12:43 AM
It's totally feasible for any event that is ticket only.

And completely unfeasible (and hasn't been put forward as a possibility I don't think) for any unticketed event.

Though, we did once get turned away from a venue, after driving for 2 hours, on the grounds that it was full. Was also told that it wasn't possible to book tickets in advance. Never went back there again....

LMC
5th-January-2006, 12:44 AM
Four Bognor tickets available

PM me for details if you wannem

TheTramp
5th-January-2006, 12:44 AM
Four Bognor tickets available
For men or ladies?? :devil:

Barry Shnikov
5th-January-2006, 09:26 PM
I'm going to Bognor, incidentally.

I wish the weather were warmer....

stewart38
6th-January-2006, 11:14 AM
For men or ladies?? :devil:

Bognor doesnt discriminate :wink:

Graham W
6th-January-2006, 07:38 PM
Think I'll be going....

G

Minnie M
7th-January-2006, 09:39 AM
only 5 more sleeps ..................

Barry Shnikov
7th-January-2006, 11:29 AM
only 5 more sleeps ..................

er...which sleep are you skipping then?:innocent:

Minnie M
7th-January-2006, 11:38 AM
er...which sleep are you skipping then?:innocent:

woops.....:blush: still haven't caught up with only working 4 days this week

only 6 more sleeps .......

fletch
8th-January-2006, 07:33 PM
How many more sleeps???????:blush:

Is the dress code the same as Southport/Camber:confused:

Barry Shnikov
8th-January-2006, 07:54 PM

There's a dress code?:eek:

Minnie M
8th-January-2006, 09:19 PM

:yeah: The same as Southport/Camber, some do like dressing up for Saturday night - so you only need to take about half a dozen of your beautiful dresses :clap:

5 more sleeps ...............:clap: :clap:

stewart38
9th-January-2006, 01:19 PM

Ill be there so i think as little as possible still applies ??

WittyBird
9th-January-2006, 01:20 PM

tart :D

stewart38
9th-January-2006, 01:30 PM
tart :D

I see your now being fed and you have your voice back but

Cant we have NIL by mouth for another few days :whistle:

:flower:

Barry Shnikov
9th-January-2006, 03:48 PM
:yeah: The same as Southport/Camber, some do like dressing up for Saturday night - so you only need to take about half a dozen of your beautiful dresses :clap:

Not sure I can dance in a dress...

WittyBird
9th-January-2006, 10:28 PM
I see your now being fed and you have your voice back but

Cant we have NIL by mouth for another few days :whistle:

No you can't because........................

I'm Going to Bognor :clap:
So Excited just had it confirmed Yippeeeeeeeeeee

Barry Shnikov
9th-January-2006, 11:22 PM

I know that feeling. I've had a problem with my knee which for the last few weeks I had feared would keep me from dancing - though not from going. But I danced on Saturday night and haven't had a twinge ever since. Hurrah!:D

WittyBird
9th-January-2006, 11:24 PM
I know that feeling. I've had a problem with my knee which for the last few weeks I had feared would keep me from dancing - though not from going. But I danced on Saturday night and haven't had a twinge ever since. Hurrah!:D

You must introduce yourself to me :D

Minnie M
9th-January-2006, 11:45 PM
Forum Gathering ..........

I suggest each night our focal point to be The Rendezvous (Swing & Blues Hall) Bar Area (at the back) at approx.10:30 ????

Friday Night at 10:30 Colin Shaul is DJing and RogerC starts at 10:45

Saturday Night at 10:30 will be the freestyle end of Nigel & Nina's Blues workshop

Sunday Night at 10:30 will be the freestyle end of Nigel & Nina's Blues workshop

WittyBird
9th-January-2006, 11:48 PM

I suggest each night our focal point to be The Rendezvous (Swing & Blues Hall) Bar Area (at the back) at approx.10:30 ????

As usual Minnie you have it all sorted.......sounds good to me :worthy:
Are you doing little name badges again?

Minnie M
10th-January-2006, 12:20 AM
As usual Minnie you have it all sorted.......sounds good to me :worthy:
Are you doing little name badges again?

Not sure about that, there are not as many of us at Bognor - I could bring labels and we could write our names on them our selves ?

WittyBird
10th-January-2006, 12:31 AM
I could bring labels and we could write our names on them our selves ?

Now that could be fun.....

Tonight Minnie I'm going to be......... :rofl:

Groovy Dancer
10th-January-2006, 11:55 PM
:sad: :o :confused: :what:
ARe there any spare male tickets available?:rolleyes:

pm if so cheers

Barry Shnikov
11th-January-2006, 12:27 AM
You must introduce yourself to me :D

Shall I carry a copy of the FT with a carnation in my buttonhole? :what:

We can dance very gingerly...:grin:

Barry Shnikov
11th-January-2006, 12:31 AM

Will be my first time there but if I can find it I will be there.:cool:

WittyBird
11th-January-2006, 02:02 AM
Shall I carry a copy of the FT with a carnation in my buttonhole? :what:

We can dance very gingerly...:grin:
Get out the funny side of your bed today?

fletch
11th-January-2006, 08:26 AM
Not sure I can dance in a dress...

I hear Andy McGregor manages just fine (allegedly):whistle: :wink:

fletch
11th-January-2006, 08:28 AM

Another play mate:clap: :clap: :clap:

Are you allowed a drink?:cheers:

fletch
11th-January-2006, 08:30 AM

The question is

'would you know what to do with it if you got it':wink:

Save me a sexy dance:clap: you can bring you mobil phone to:eek:

Andy McGregor
11th-January-2006, 01:09 PM
I hear Andy McGregor manages just fine (allegedly):whistle: :wink:

:flower:Dancing in a dress is sheer joy. There is a lovely swish as you swing your hips.

At this particular Bognor I will be dancing in men's clothes. Some of them have been purchased in the Kemp Town area of Brighton so they might be a bit camp and glittery :wink:

So, how will we find each other? Is there going to be a gathering? Will there be a secret sign or do we assume that anyone not bouncing their hand is a forumite? :innocent:

WittyBird
11th-January-2006, 01:49 PM
So, how will we find each other? Is there going to be a gathering? Will there be a secret sign or do we assume that anyone not bouncing their hand is a forumite? :innocent:

Minnie has organised a little gathering if you read earlier posts. 10.30pm in Redezvous me thinks :rolleyes:

WittyBird
11th-January-2006, 01:50 PM
Another play mate:clap: :clap: :clap:

Are you allowed a drink?:cheers:
I am allowed to drink, but I am taking it easy. Went to Greenwich last night had a few dances and was totally washed out!

Barry Shnikov
11th-January-2006, 02:48 PM
Get out the funny side of your bed today?

It's a curse, I know, but I am blessed with a natural wit. What can I say?

I wasn't even unpopular at school.

WittyBird
11th-January-2006, 04:34 PM
It's a curse, I know, but I am blessed with a natural wit. What can I say?

I wasn't even unpopular at school.
Making up for it now then :wink: :rofl:

fletch
11th-January-2006, 04:53 PM
I am allowed to drink, but I am taking it easy. Went to Greenwich last night had a few dances and was totally washed out!
This will be a first, a quirt Wittybird:eek:
More time to chat up the men then:D

WittyBird
11th-January-2006, 04:56 PM
More time to chat up the men then:D

Lovely lady :eek: I don't chat men up.:rolleyes:

fletch
11th-January-2006, 04:59 PM
Not sure about that, there are not as many of us at Bognor - I could bring labels and we could write our names on them our selves ?
For anyone that carn't recognise me from my photo i'm 6ft, Blond with a 34F chest:wink:

WittyBird
11th-January-2006, 05:00 PM
For anyone that carn't recognise me from my photo i'm 6ft, Blond with a 34F chest:wink:

And a Gob bigger than the Mersey Tunnel :rolleyes:

fletch
11th-January-2006, 05:13 PM
And a Gob bigger than the Mersey Tunnel :rolleyes:
I'm in proportion then:wink:

WittyBird
11th-January-2006, 05:15 PM
I'm in proportion then:wink:

To what? ;)

fletch
11th-January-2006, 05:41 PM
To what? ;)
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Lee
11th-January-2006, 06:09 PM

Friday Night at 10:30 Colin Shaul is DJing and RogerC starts at 10:45

Saturday Night at 10:30 will be the freestyle end of Nigel & Nina's Blues workshop

Sunday Night at 10:30 will be the freestyle end of Nigel & Nina's Blues workshop

Ok, i'll try to remember that.

C U there :clap: :clap:

Lee

Barry Shnikov
11th-January-2006, 06:21 PM
Making up for it now then

Arf arf!

Minnie M
11th-January-2006, 09:30 PM
only 2 more sleeps

Have started to do some labels with avatars on - if this works I will (time permitting) do them for everyone - or those who would like them that is (will be useful at Southport) :flower:

WittyBird
11th-January-2006, 09:33 PM
I'm so excited :waycool:

Minnie M
11th-January-2006, 09:37 PM
I'm so excited :waycool:
You dear lady have TWO badges - JiveTime & a Forum one :whistle: and you can wear them both, so, as people arrive they will know exactly who you are :flower:

WittyBird
11th-January-2006, 09:39 PM
You dear lady have TWO badges - JiveTime & a Forum one :whistle: and you can wear them both, so, as people arrive they will know exactly who you are :flower:
I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing :wink:

Barry Shnikov
11th-January-2006, 09:59 PM
I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing :wink:

You could give one to somebody else and seriously confuse the whole forum...

WittyBird
12th-January-2006, 12:51 AM
You could give one to somebody else and seriously confuse the whole forum...
That really wouldn't work. Most people I think, know who I am, just from S38's photo's alone I am reconisable.:eek:

fletch
12th-January-2006, 08:53 AM
I'm going to Bognor tomorrow, i'm going to Bognor tomorrow, i'm going to Bognor tomorrow, i'm going to Bognor tomorrow, i'm going to Bognor tomorrow.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I better start packing, oooooooooooooooooooooo what to wear????????

:D :D :D :D :D

Barry Shnikov
12th-January-2006, 10:23 AM
That really wouldn't work. Most people I think, know who I am, just from S38's photo's alone I am reconisable.:eek:

Blimey, what happened to the old British 'can-do' spirit? Especially given that Herb Albright quote...

I don't know, the younger generation...

Chef
12th-January-2006, 11:03 AM

Why weren't there any women like this when I was at school?

WittyBird
12th-January-2006, 11:47 AM
I better start packing, oooooooooooooooooooooo what to wear????????

I have the same problem, can't decide either :eek:

Northants Girly
12th-January-2006, 12:30 PM
I have the same problem, can't decide either :eek:I just pack EVERTHING ! :D

Just been looking at the list and there are heaps of forumites going that I've never met:

Barry Shnikov
Chicky
Commis Chef
Danger Mouse
Jooles
Lee
Liz
Michelle<3
onkar
soapstar
Swinging Bee
wicked blue
Winnie

or at least I don't think I have :rolleyes:

hopefully will get to meet you!

WittyBird
12th-January-2006, 04:02 PM
I just pack EVERTHING ! :D

Just worried about space! Now do I take the 'Birdie' slippers and/or laptop? Dilemma, dilemma :rolleyes:

fletch
12th-January-2006, 04:03 PM
Why weren't there any women like this when I was at school?
You obviously went to the wrong school:sad:

I attend a new school now - there is plenty of space for new students:whistle:

Lee
12th-January-2006, 04:07 PM
I just pack EVERTHING ! :D

Just been looking at the list and there are heaps of forumites going that I've never met:

Barry Shnikov
Chicky
Commis Chef
Danger Mouse
Jooles
Lee
Liz
Michelle<3
onkar
soapstar
Swinging Bee
wicked blue
Winnie

or at least I don't think I have :rolleyes:

hopefully will get to meet you!

I'm easy to spot, i'll be with South West London Posey, la de da.

http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=145366#post145366

Or hanging out with Riaz aka Spice & Easy.

Lee

Northants Girly
12th-January-2006, 04:14 PM

http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=145366#post145366

Or hanging out with Riaz aka Spice & Easy.

LeeCool - I'll look out for you :D

Barry Shnikov
12th-January-2006, 09:51 PM
Lee

Aah, the poseys.

I always used to avoid the poseys when I was in London...

Mr Cool
12th-January-2006, 10:47 PM
lookiing forward to dancing the weekend away. Hope some of you formites are going to dance in Jakes bar in the day much more fun than lessons. lets make it a superb weekend. :waycool: :waycool: :waycool: :waycool:

WittyBird
13th-January-2006, 01:16 AM
lets make it a superb weekend. :waycool: :waycool: :waycool: :waycool:
Abso - bl00dy - lutely :D

Andy McGregor
13th-January-2006, 12:40 PM
I'm so excited. Just a few hours to go!

stewart38
13th-January-2006, 12:47 PM
I'm so excited. Just a few hours to go!

Being the nervous sort and someone who has never been

Im assuming it is as they say as you hit bognor sign posted coming from the north :what:

Andy McGregor
13th-January-2006, 01:01 PM
Im assuming it is as they say as you hit bognor sign posted coming from the north :what:Coming from the North you will find that Bognor is as South as you can get. From there on it's very wet until you hit France :wink:

fletch
13th-January-2006, 03:11 PM
Wittybird is already there, im still in Stafford:sad:

She forgot her fishnet's and sent me shopping, so lads looks like you are in for a treat:waycool:

WittyBird
14th-January-2006, 12:01 PM
She forgot her fishnet's and sent me shopping, so lads looks like you are in for a treat:waycool:

I did indeed. Good old Fletch eh!! :wink:

fletch
15th-January-2006, 09:50 PM
Wittybird is already there, im still in Stafford:sad:

don't know what Wittybird has been doing, but she already got through the fishnets:wink:

Andy McGregor
16th-January-2006, 03:27 AM
don't know what Wittybird has been doing, but she already got through the fishnets:wink:Those fishnets were so sexy:waycool:

I met Wittybird and Fletch for the first time at Bognor. I can confirm that they are both very sexy and completely bonkers :wink:

WittyBird
16th-January-2006, 03:08 PM
Those fishnets were so sexy:waycool:

I met Wittybird and Fletch for the first time at Bognor. I can confirm that they are both very sexy and completely bonkers :wink:

What about dwarf like?:rofl: Loved the shirt on Saturday night it was kinda cool, I will never forget our gossip / b1tch / chat on Saturday afternoon whilst watching Joseph and Sadie's street dance class it really was one of the highlights of the weekend. I won't look at things in the same light again.
'more rolls than a bakers :rofl:

stewart38
16th-January-2006, 03:50 PM
Mixed reviews on this one

The site is rather more like a small town and didnt get the 'cosy feel' of camber or southport

Perhaps suffering from weekendernitus (too many) , only did 45mins of one lesson

Wish they had some more interesting lessons lessons like Tap etc rather then same old

Sometimes seem to be more women sometimes (later on) more men

The bright lights on friday and part sunday was not good. Accomadation was good

Its not one I'd rush back to but mainly as there is so much choice now.

Also the Maddison and cha cha weren't done corrrctly :sad:

under par
16th-January-2006, 04:52 PM
Got to say that I also have mixed feelings about this weekend.

Had some great company in the 2 chalets some weekender virgins and a relative (male) who had never done any MJ before. He was terrific we showed him a few moves on friday afternoon and he managed to get up dancing and persevered and manged it really well.

The hilarity of our saturday evening meal which has become a bit of a ritual now still leaves me with sore sides from all the laughter.

Nigel and Ninas blues class on Saturday I really enjoyed as I have never actually done a blues class before and a few bits of ideas fell into place so I learned a lot from that, just got to practice it a bit more.

swinging Bee's end of night session in the blues room on saturday night was brill:clap: :clap:

Bob gadget was playing an awesome set :worthy: in the Jaks bar on Sat afternoon to about 10 people.

The jaks bar could be a perfect venue for what I call the Southport effect blues room but for one thing the floor was so sticky I felt I was wearing ski boots.:whistle:

But perserverance led to me having some absolutly divine dances with a couple of forumites.:clap:

Attention to detail is what I feel was missing from the weekend.

1. more staff at check in . good
provision of private lessons good
provision og massage facilities great:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

2. bar not open in Jaks in afternoon so no refreshment available does he actually want people to dance there or not with the tacky floor and no bar we only had a the DJ who did brilliantly so overall bad and thus very few people went there.
Dancers I know want this :yeah: but where given poor poor quality IMHO:angry:

3 In the main hall which provided dancing till 0430 and the bar closed each night at 0130 hours. Is it supposed to be an event for Francos customers or are we 2nd class as far as Butlins are concerned with them refusing to provide paying customers with the service normal Butlins customers get.

The replacement fluid for the lack of bar????? ONE! yes ONE! I did say ONE!..... Franco really went to town and put out ....ONE water recepticle
cooler thing
This was to cater for 6 or 7 hundred dancers

I am sure that Francos profit margin could have run to a few more or the better still provide the punters with a bar beyond 0130 hours.

The normal problems in the main hall with the temporary dance floor coming apart there was more and more black tape on there as the weekend moved on.

The total lack of any atmostphere in the blues room most of the time was depressing.

I did enjoy most of the caberet but still cannot really understand why Joseph left the stage twice for extended periods to change into almost identcal suits okay different colour but really !:sad:

Madisons after midnight in the main hall SORRY not for me just another interruption to freestyle.

Accomadation was good so much nicer than Camber.

The view I had of Andy Magregor on Sunday evening really left me speechless:whistle:

I may also be over weekended..... but I have seen the best aspects of weekenders provided during the last few years.
At one time Franco had the only ones and provided a product which dancers couldn't get elsewhere.
I really enjoyed many of those weekends but there are now many others in the market who have raised the levels so much higher that I fear for Francos events if he doesn't pay more attention to the little things like dance floors bars they are after all 50% of all dancers need to dance throw in music and classes and... well I am really oversimplifying it.

Franco now he needs to ask himself if he is providing the premier class product or is he going to be relegated to 2nd division.

I for one will want to hear from Franco that things will be better next January or I will give my money to someone else.

Big big downEr was Mrs Par being really under the weather on the Sunday which meant we went home really early (2-o-clock) HAVING HARDLY DANCED AT ALL :tears: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

fletch
16th-January-2006, 05:04 PM
Those fishnets were so sexy:waycool:

Now Andy, is this another pot calling the kettle black.:rofl:

Fantastic dances, your as mad as a hatter:waycool:

Barry Shnikov
16th-January-2006, 05:43 PM

:tears:
I was there from about 10.25 to 10.34; did not notice one person congregating at the bar. (Can one person congregate?) There were about two couples dancing in there and one or two people sitting down.

Decided I must have got the details codsed so rushed over to other bar where I met Fletch and WB (can't think why Andy M thinks they're bonkers...) and then later bumped into Andy M who claimed that the meeting had taken place in the Rendezvous as planned.

Later met Lee through mutual friends.

So sadly my forum familiarity quotient has only gone up by 3, instead of the twenty or so I had anticipated.

Fun weekend, better accommodation than Camber, not so keen on going outside to get from Crapmusic room to blues room but it's not the end of the world, weather was rubbish, had some fabulous dances but spent a lot of the weekend worrying about my knee and whether I should really be dancing at all...

Would certainly go again, not least because it's only 40 minutes travel time for me...

Mr Cool
16th-January-2006, 06:07 PM
The jaks bar could be a perfect venue for what I call the Southport effect blues room but for one thing the floor was so sticky I felt I was wearing ski boots.:whistle:

But perserverance led to me having some absolutly divine dances with a couple of forumites.:clap:

Attention to detail is what I feel was missing from the weekend.

2. bar not open in Jaks in afternoon so no refreshment available does he actually want people to dance there or not with the tacky floor and no bar we only had a the DJ who did brilliantly so overall bad and thus very few people went there.

I had a great weekend :nice:
but i have to say that I am so disapointed that Franco didnt have the floor at Jaks bar cleaned for dancing he even ignored requests to clean it:mad:
Indeed this should have been the evening swing and blues room, I am sure it would provide a superb atmosphere there is a excelent sound system. Indeed with a few hours work it should have been the best floor. (It could have been a better venue than southports blues room) It really is difficult to understand why Franco did not use this room. come on Franco wake up to your customers requirements. We the Dancers demand QUALITY ignor us at your peril.

I would like to thank All the superb lady dancers who danced with me and not forgeting the fun dance with Andy Mcgregor Friday night great fun :waycool: :waycool: :waycool: :waycool:

TheTramp
16th-January-2006, 06:16 PM
and not forgeting the fun dance with Andy Mcgregor Friday night great fun :waycool: :waycool: :waycool: :waycool:

I don't think that you ever can. :what:

No matter how hard you try! :whistle:

Minnie M
16th-January-2006, 07:54 PM
:tears:
I was there from about 10.25 to 10.34; did not notice one person congregating at the bar. (Can one person congregate?) There were about two couples dancing in there and one or two people sitting down.
:yeah: I went there at 10:40 and only saw Andy McG. I made some really nice badges for a few forumites to roadtest too :sad:

Quite a few forumites did turn up but didn't wait for the others, therefore kept missing each other - total disaster :tears:

Weekend Post Mortum
Trouble is, (IMO) we have now found a group of very good and sociable dancers (mainly from the forum) who meet up on a regular basis, so we don't need that great fix of continuous good dances that we got from weekenders ALSO, some weekenders, such a Southport, have a bigger selection of said dancers, therefore we are spoilt even more.

I enjoyed Bognor very much, but mainly on reflection, as at the time I was comparing it with the standard of dancers and dancing at Southport. However, it WAS a good weekend, and just as good as previous JiveTime weekenders. I met and danced with many many new and wonderful dancers. PLUS had a fab girlie meal in a posh nosh place in Bognor (French actually) with Winnie and my mates Shirley & Kate - unfortunately we can't go there again as we may have embarrased ourselves. AND a great pub meal (on site) with lots of forumites etc. on Sunday.

So, the verdict is YES :clap: YES :clap: not quite Southport but still a great weekend....

Thank you Franco :cheers:

PS: and thanks to fellow chalet mates Winnie & WittyBird and my non-forum mate Shirley & Kate - can you try and image the fun we had with FIVE girlies in one small chalet :innocent:

WittyBird
16th-January-2006, 07:55 PM
I would like to thank All the superb lady dancers who danced with me and not forgeting the fun dance with Andy Mcgregor Friday night great fun

It was so much fun. Next time you walk off from me I won't be there when you come back! :innocent:

I had a great time, so many memories that I never want to forget, some I do want to forget but I know I never will (eh Andy :wink: )

Had some amazing dancers with some fabulous men. Dancing to Forever Autumn with Spicy on Sunday night was :drool:

RogerC your set on Sunday night was to die for. I thought my legs were gonna fall off I was dancing that much.

Didn't do any workshops but had fun watching some of them.

Lunch on Sunday was fabulous with MinnieM,Winnie, DavidB,Lily,Fletch, S38 & non forum people.

So Stewart38 did we ever get past 6? I know we were counting them in Jaks :rofl:

All in all a good weekend, could've been better with Jaks etc but hey ho.Lovely to meet Winnie, a fab dancer and lovely lead ! Would've been nicer if more special people were there. Bring on Storm :cheers:
Will post some photo's at some point. :whistle:

Minnie M
16th-January-2006, 08:05 PM
Post Note:
To my Bognor chalet mates - the 78yr old chap I pulled from the Jazz group is looking forward to our next date in Bognor 2007 :blush: hopefully my flirting will work then and I will eventually be able to get smuggled in to hear the fab bands they have playing there :worthy:

more staff at check in ...good
provision of private lessons...good
:yeah: thank you - we had a good team:yeah: :clap:

WittyBird
16th-January-2006, 08:26 PM
Post Note:
To my Bognor chalet mates - the 78yr old chap I pulled
Now errr which one was he? I thought you pulled more than 1 bloke? :whistle:

Minnie M
16th-January-2006, 08:37 PM

He was the chap who said he could do Glasgow Jive :D (he kept coming over, wanting to hold my hand while we were booking people in on Friday :blush: and was in the pub on Sunday) - didn't you hear the rude and embarrasing comments :tears: from my "friends"

WittyBird
16th-January-2006, 08:39 PM
He was the chap who said he could do Glasgow Jive :D (he kept coming over, wanting to hold my hand while we were booking people in on Friday :blush: and was in the pub on Sunday) - didn't you hear the rude and embarrasing comments :tears: from my "friends"

Of course I didn't hear 'those' comments, my ears are pure and only hear innocent things :innocent:

stewart38
17th-January-2006, 10:29 AM
2.bar not open in Jaks in afternoon so no refreshment available does he actually want people to dance there or not with the tacky floor and no bar we only had a the DJ who did brilliantly so overall bad and thus very few people went there.

3 In the main hall which provided dancing till 0430 and the bar closed each night at 0130 hours. Is it supposed to be an event for Francos customers or are we 2nd class as far as Butlins are concerned with them refusing to provide paying customers with the service normal Butlins customers get.

The replacement fluid for the lack of bar????? ONE! yes ONE! I did say ONE!..... Franco really went to town and put out ....ONE water recepticle
cooler thing
This was to cater for 6 or 7 hundred dancers

I am sure that Francos profit margin could have run to a few more or the better still provide the punters with a bar beyond 0130 hours.

The normal problems in the main hall with the temporary dance floor coming apart there was more and more black tape on there as the weekend moved on.

The total lack of any atmostphere in the blues room most of the time was depressing.

I did enjoy most of the caberet but still cannot really understand why Joseph left the stage twice for extended periods to change into almost identcal suits okay different colour but really !:sad:

Madisons after midnight in the main hall SORRY not for me just another interruption to freestyle.

Accomadation was good so much nicer than Camber.

I may also be over weekended..... but I have seen the best aspects of weekenders provided during the last few years.
At one time Franco had the only ones and provided a product which dancers couldn't get elsewhere.
I really enjoyed many of those weekends but there are now many others in the market who have raised the levels so much higher that I fear for Francos events if he doesn't pay more attention to the little things like dance floors bars they are after all 50% of all dancers need to dance throw in music and classes and... well I am really oversimplifying it.

Franco now he needs to ask himself if he is providing the premier class product or is he going to be relegated to 2nd division.

I for one will want to hear from Franco that things will be better next January or I will give my money to someone else.
Yes to all this :yeah:

stewart38
17th-January-2006, 10:31 AM
So Stewart38 did we ever get past 6? I know we were counting them in Jaks :rofl:

I was on about 12 before you bottled out of my lift and double spin with return pike :wink:

Andy McGregor
17th-January-2006, 10:53 AM
Got to say that I also have mixed feelings about this weekend.

-snip-

I for one will want to hear from Franco that things will be better next January or I will give my money to someone else. I've been thinking about Bognor and Franco. I believe that Franco did change his product. He got Joseph and Sadie to come. J & S were very sweet and very hard working. I didn't do thier workshops because I'm an old git and need to pace myself :tears: But I did watch them in action and they kept their class interested, taught clearly and the routines they taught were the ones they were given by professional dancers and choreographers at the top of their professions. And I got good reports from the people who did the workshops too.

There was one workshop I watched where more than half the class dropped out and nobody got the routine. Even then people didn't seem that bothered and you can't expect everything in such a varied programme to hit the spot.

I still prefer Bognor to Camber not least of all because the beds have real matresses. There is much more of a friendly feel to the whole thing compared to Camber but not as friendly as Rock Bottoms or Beach Boogie. And that is a factor related to numbers. The other two are smaller and you get to see who's there on the first night.

I think that Bognor and Camber (and probably Storm) are there for people who've been dancing a year or two and haven't been to so many dance weekenders. They're not looking for a change, they haven't got used to the norm. I think Southport is slightly different because it has that blues room which creates a weekend within a weekend - but for everyone who isn't in the blues room it's just like Camber and Bognor.

The one thing that is starting to pale for me is the start and finish times of the freestyle. Six hours of freestyle is as much as I can do nowadays. I'd love to start that 6 hours at 8pm so I can be in bed at a reasonable time. Every weekender I've been on has this fixation with "our dances go on 'til 4am, 5am, 6am, etc. This results in a weekender-lag where you don't recover until the following weekend. I can foresee the day dawning where the freestyle is continuous. This would be fab as I could start and finish when I like. It's not the finish time of the freestyle that's a problem as I can finish when I like - it's the late start time which means you really do need to dance late if you want to get your complete fix.

WittyBird
17th-January-2006, 11:00 AM
I was on about 12 before you bottled out of my lift and double spin with return pike :wink:
I always like a bit of comedy to wake up to :rofl:

David Franklin
17th-January-2006, 11:30 AM
The one thing that is starting to pale for me is the start and finish times of the freestyle. Six hours of freestyle is as much as I can do nowadays. I'd love to start that 6 hours at 8pm so I can be in bed at a reasonable time. Every weekender I've been on has this fixation with "our dances go on 'til 4am, 5am, 6am, etc. This results in a weekender-lag where you don't recover until the following weekend. I can foresee the day dawning where the freestyle is continuous. This would be fab as I could start and finish when I like. It's not the finish time of the freestyle that's a problem as I can finish when I like - it's the late start time which means you really do need to dance late if you want to get your complete fix.:yeah:

The way the freestyle starts later and later is a big reason we've started staying away; Bryony doesn't really do late nights so we actually get more dance time on a normal dance evening (and a lot more at a T-dance).

When I first did weekenders I'd always dance right to the end. I would also usually come down with a bad cold by the end of the weekend. Since becoming lazier about my dancing I've noticed a distinct improvement in this area...

TheTramp
17th-January-2006, 11:38 AM
Doesn't the dancing start at 9pm? That's only an hour later than 8pm. Which means that you can get 5 hours dancing in, or just stay up an hour later. (Of course, if it didn't start at 9pm, then this doesn't apply).

I used to start dancing at 9pm, and still be there at 6am too. Now, I do the same, but just with more rests inbetween.

You should try coming to Southport. With the blues room there, it's pretty much about 18 hour dancing - from about midday to 6am, with maybe a little break at tea-time while everyone goes to eat, and get a shower.

stewart38
17th-January-2006, 11:45 AM
Doesn't the dancing start at 9pm? That's only an hour later than 8pm. Which means that you can get 5 hours dancing in, or just stay up an hour later. (Of course, if it didn't start at 9pm, then this doesn't apply).

I used to start dancing at 9pm, and still be there at 6am too. Now, I do the same, but just with more rests inbetween.

You should try coming to Southport. With the blues room there, it's pretty much about 18 hour dancing - from about midday to 6am, with maybe a little break at tea-time while everyone goes to eat, and get a shower.

One of the attractions is that you can dance till 6am and beyond at Camber or Southport. 9pm start seems to work fine with most, a lot start coming after 10pm

The numbers were so thin at cira 3.45am at bognor i wouldnt have thought a a later end was required there.

A good feature at Camber is when the main hall ends at 4am ? You get a new push in the 'blues room'

David Franklin
17th-January-2006, 11:51 AM
Doesn't the dancing start at 9pm? That's only an hour later than 8pm. Which means that you can get 5 hours dancing in, or just stay up an hour later. (Of course, if it didn't start at 9pm, then this doesn't apply).We usually do just that, though there are certainly times when the dancing hasn't started by then. But it's more a cultural thing - there's a self-fulfilling perception that "the good dancing doesn't start until 2am", so everyone "paces themselves" to start much later, usually not even starting dinner until after 9pm (which if you're sharing a chalet, causes it's own complications when it comes to dancing at 9pm). It's not entirely cultural, either, the music played at 9pm tends to be very disco/boppy, with the better music not coming on 'til after midnight. (Yes, a generalisation, I know).

I'm certainly not saying "this is dreadful, the organisers need to change something" - it seems to work for the majority. But it doesn't work terribly well for us.

stewart38
17th-January-2006, 11:54 AM
We usually do just that, though there are certainly times when the dancing hasn't started by then. But it's more a cultural thing - there's a self-fulfilling perception that "the good dancing doesn't start until 2am", so everyone "paces themselves" to start much later, usually not even starting dinner until after 9pm (which if you're sharing a chalet, causes it's own complications when it comes to dancing at 9pm). It's not entirely cultural, either, the music played at 9pm tends to be very disco/boppy, with the better music not coming on 'til after midnight. (Yes, a generalisation, I know).

I'm certainly not saying "this is dreadful, the organisers need to change something" - it seems to work for the majority. But it doesn't work terribly well for us.

Maybe we could have a 7pm till midnight for the over 50s and the rest of us can come out to play later :yeah:

TheTramp
17th-January-2006, 11:55 AM
Get a kip in the afternoon/evening, then get up at 2am and do your 4 hours dancing then?? :whistle:

Have to say that the music in the blues room at Southport is of a pretty high standard all during the day. Maybe that's a better solution! (Apart from the amount of travelling it takes to get there for you!)

Lynn
17th-January-2006, 12:00 PM
But it's more a cultural thing - there's a self-fulfilling perception that "the good dancing doesn't start until 2am", so everyone "paces themselves" to start much later... I have had some really lovely dances, to luscious music, in the blues room at Southport at 2pm, 3pm etc.

But I agree about the evenings - I do tend to start to dance later - but then I'm quite happy dancing all night, as long as I can get time to rest in the afternoon/early evening (but then I can't drag myself out of the blues room in the afternoon either!).

stewart38
17th-January-2006, 12:03 PM
Could argue now with more weekenders less will stay over on a monday and having a dance say starting 3pm on a sunday could be a good idea for those that leave cira 8 or 9pm

Paul F
17th-January-2006, 12:05 PM
NO! stop it.

All this talk of Southport is making really really want to go....and its only January :sad:

For what its worth I only start dancing about midnight at the weekenders. Not too sure why.
Maybe its like the regular class start times. A few start up a bit later so people turn up later and it snowballs from there. Eventually an 8pm class starts at 8:15 :rolleyes:

Soon people will be getting up at 3am ready to start dancing :D

Andy McGregor
17th-January-2006, 12:12 PM
We usually do just that, though there are certainly times when the dancing hasn't started by then. But it's more a cultural thing - there's a self-fulfilling perception that "the good dancing doesn't start until 2am", so everyone "paces themselves" to start much later, usually not even starting dinner until after 9pm (which if you're sharing a chalet, causes it's own complications when it comes to dancing at 9pm). It's not entirely cultural, either, the music played at 9pm tends to be very disco/boppy, with the better music not coming on 'til after midnight. (Yes, a generalisation, I know).

I'm certainly not saying "this is dreadful, the organisers need to change something" - it seems to work for the majority. But it doesn't work terribly well for us.:yeah:

I agree with this. What we need is a nice tea dance.

stewart38
17th-January-2006, 12:17 PM
I have had some really lovely dances, to luscious music, in the blues room at Southport at 2pm, 3pm etc.

But I agree about the evenings - I do tend to start to dance later - but then I'm quite happy dancing all night, as long as I can get time to rest in the afternoon/early evening (but then I can't drag myself out of the blues room in the afternoon either!).

Have you book your seat in the said blues room

Ill be a year older so will need a bit more of a rest on that famous sofa :what:

Swinging bee
17th-January-2006, 12:18 PM
Fletch.....Great to have met you, pity we didn't get a dance, maybe next time! glad you liked the music:cheers:
We had a super time Lin and I, these events are all about PEOPLE and getting on with the business of enjoying oneself ! So much negatvity in the various comments...HEY, LIGHTEN UP, all of you, it's like reading the daily mail.....

Lynn
17th-January-2006, 12:22 PM
Have you book your seat in the said blues room

Ill be a year older so will need a bit more of a rest on that famous sofa :what:I'll be there! Hopefully you can drag yourself off the seat for a dance? :flower:

David Bailey
17th-January-2006, 12:32 PM
Fletch.....Great to have met you, pity we didn't get a dance, maybe next time! glad you liked the music:cheers:
We had a super time Lin and I, these events are all about PEOPLE and getting on with the business of enjoying oneself ! So much negatvity in the various comments...HEY, LIGHTEN UP, all of you, it's like reading the daily mail.....
Blimey, if you think those are whinges, it's probably a good thing I didn't go there... :rofl:

Swinging bee
17th-January-2006, 12:40 PM
Blimey, if you think those are whinges, it's probably a good thing I didn't go there... :rofl:

Don't do 'bad' any more .. when you get to my age you lose the will to be even apathetic:tears:

stewart38
17th-January-2006, 12:45 PM

True people make any event and there are always great people at these events even if they live in West Sussex :sad:

Re the Daily Mail now as a avid reader i think a head line

'Bar closes at 1.30am leading to a spill over of drunks on the streets' would be the headline you would get

Ive tried to make my thoughts more balanced this time

However you do make a vaild point. There have been a number of winges about STORM on various threads, it hasnt even happened yet :sad:

Swinging bee
17th-January-2006, 01:24 PM
True people make any event and there are always great people at these events even if they live in West Sussex :sad:

Re the Daily Mail now as a avid reader i think a head line

'Bar closes at 1.30am leading to a spill over of drunks on the streets' would be the headline you would get

Ive tried to make my thoughts more balanced this time

However you do make a vaild point. There have been a number of winges about STORM on various threads, it hasnt even happened yet :sad:

Glad you agree:cheers: These things have a habit of snowballing and it ends up looking like you have all had a weekend in Colditz dancing to songs by Margarita Prackatan with laryngitis and being forced to dance on a beach vollyball court and having only ersatz coffee to drink !:yeah:
Just Have Fun.:clap: My thought for the day.......don't worry about getting older, it might not be the healthy option but the alternative is so much worse:eek:

Minnie M
17th-January-2006, 02:45 PM
Maybe we could have a 7pm till midnight for the over 50s and the rest of us can come out to play later :yeah:
:tears: :tears: :tears: does that mean Tea dancing only for the over 60's :tears: :tears: :tears:

BTW I met and danced with some amazing over 50's dancers - full of energy and style :clap: :worthy: :yeah:

stewart38
17th-January-2006, 02:57 PM
:tears: :tears: :tears: does that mean Tea dancing only for the over 60's :tears: :tears: :tears:

BTW I met and danced with some amazing over 50's dancers - full of energy and style :clap: :worthy: :yeah:

Ill state for the record this was a joke

Given im nearer 50 then 30,im on the fence :sad:

fletch
17th-January-2006, 03:00 PM

I'm sorry we didn't dance, we will next time:flower:
The music was FAB, I had a wonderfull time, I carn't move today:what:

fletch
17th-January-2006, 03:03 PM

Is this suggestion so you can isolated you target market:rofl:

Minnie M
17th-January-2006, 03:04 PM
Ill state for the record this was a joke.........
I did take it to be that :flower: but couldn't resist the post :hug:

fletch
17th-January-2006, 03:05 PM
glad someone pulled:tears:

WittyBird
17th-January-2006, 03:07 PM

Look madam. He wasn't worthy of you.
He was a tosser :eek: You are not only a beautiful person on the inside but you are truly a beautiful person on the outside even if its not all real :worthy: I am pleased to have you on my 'friends' list :flower:

Minnie M
17th-January-2006, 03:11 PM
....like reading the daily mail.....
Couldn't buy a copy at the Butlin's shop on Saturday you must have bought it :rolleyes: (the shevles were full of The Sun and The Star etc :whistle: )

Minnie M
17th-January-2006, 03:13 PM
You can have my one fletch, that is if you like the older man (he is 78) however, it looks like there is something you are not telling us by Wittybird's post :whistle:

fletch
17th-January-2006, 03:21 PM
Look madam. He wasn't worthy of you.
He was a tosser :eek: You are not only a beautiful person on the inside but you are truly a beautiful person on the outside even if its not all real :worthy: I am pleased to have you on my 'friends' list :flower:
thank you, who needs men with good girl friends like you:flower:

But a cuddle would be nice, just every now and then:sad:

The bits might no be real, but I am, hey Andy:rofl:

WittyBird
17th-January-2006, 03:26 PM
The bits might no be real, but I am, hey Andy:rofl:
Larger than life lovely :waycool:

fletch
17th-January-2006, 03:28 PM
S38, been as successful with the ladies as I am with the men:rolleyes: do you think they have heard about your 6 moves:rofl:

WittyBird
17th-January-2006, 03:37 PM
S38, been as successful with the ladies as I am with the men:rolleyes: do you think they have heard about your 6 moves:rofl:

I think we were watching paint dry at that point! Christ my ass looks big. Anyway where are the rest? :flower:

fletch
17th-January-2006, 03:41 PM
I think we were watching paint dry at that point! Christ my ass looks big. Anyway where are the rest? :flower:
I'll get e'm on ASAP but i'm rushing about trying to get everything done before my next op on Thursday:eek:

fletch
17th-January-2006, 03:45 PM
You can have my one fletch, that is if you like the older man (he is 78) however, it looks like there is something you are not telling us by Wittybird's post :whistle:

Not telling anyone, thats a first then:rolleyes:

Don't ask same old story, and I thought it was a womans prerogative to change her mind:confused:

WittyBird
17th-January-2006, 03:52 PM
Here we have Fletch dancing with Mr Cool.
Think it was the one and only time he didn't walk off :rofl:

WittyBird
17th-January-2006, 03:55 PM
:flower: Here we have Fletch dancing with Mr McGregor :devil:
she is laughing because every move he talked her through them :whistle:

WittyBird
17th-January-2006, 03:58 PM
Here we have Under Par dancing with the beautiful Winnie :grin:

Paul F
17th-January-2006, 04:11 PM
Is that the lovely black duct tape holding the floor panels together in UP + Winnies pic or is it just a big gap :o

WittyBird
17th-January-2006, 04:13 PM
Is that the lovely black duct tape holding the floor panels together in UP + Winnies pic or is it just a big gap :o

Well spotted oh eagle eyed one!
it's duct tape :mad:

Paul F
17th-January-2006, 04:24 PM
it's duct tape :mad:

oh dear :tears: not good.

stewart38
17th-January-2006, 04:25 PM
, I had a wonderfull time, I carn't move today:what:

I think we are still talking about the dancing :blush:

However glad to see you were on form. :yeah:

stewart38
17th-January-2006, 04:26 PM
Is this suggestion so you can isolated you target market:rofl:

'Isolate your target market'

where is that spelling and grammar thread I want to change my vote :whistle:

WittyBird
17th-January-2006, 04:26 PM
oh dear :tears: not good.
No it isn't. The floors were awful :D

fletch
17th-January-2006, 04:44 PM
Wittybird and Nico

and

Wittybird and Andy Mc

Two Fab dancers

WittyBird
17th-January-2006, 04:45 PM
Wittybird and Nico

and

Wittybird and Andy Mc

Two Fab dancers
thanks for putting the fat bird one up

fletch
17th-January-2006, 04:56 PM
Chef, Dawn and me

It was lovely to see them both in the Main room on Sunday.:worthy:

Dawn's face was a picture as she came off the floor having been thrown around to Tom Jones Sex Bomb:rofl:

fletch
17th-January-2006, 05:01 PM
thanks for putting the fat bird one up

Its just a bad angle, you look lovely on the one with Andy :flower:

WittyBird
17th-January-2006, 05:04 PM
Its just a bad angle, you look lovely on the one with Andy :flower:

Aww bless you :rofl:

Minnie M
17th-January-2006, 07:10 PM
The REAL "Bognor Aftermath" thread :D

BTW what the verdict on Joseph & Sadie folks ??? Teaching and Cabaret ??

WittyBird
17th-January-2006, 07:17 PM
The REAL "Bognor Aftermath" thread :D

It was nice to meet two people shorter than I am.

Sorry didn't rate the teaching (from what I saw of it) It was done in a fun way which was good and they were constantly cracking jokes but Joseph didn't pronounce any of 'is words right' and I found it difficult to listen to them.

Thought the cabaret was good however :flower:

Minnie M
17th-January-2006, 07:20 PM
Chef, Dawn and me

It was lovely to see them both in the Main room on Sunday.:worthy:

Dawn's face was a picture as she came off the floor having been thrown around to Tom Jones Sex Bomb:rofl:

What a lovely photo :flower: (and Chef looks positively yummy :drool: )

Barry Shnikov
17th-January-2006, 10:51 PM
:yeah: I went there at 10:40 and only saw Andy McG. I made some really nice badges for a few forumites to roadtest too :sad:
Quite a few forumites did turn up but didn't wait for the others, therefore kept missing each other - total disaster :tears:

It might be considered sad, I know, but I was really looking forward to getting my badge...:sick:

My non-forum friends, with whom I was staying for the weekend, were beginning to give me that sort of patient, indulging look when I swapped venues for the fourth time in ten minutes, looking for some clue as to where the other forum-ites had disappeared to in order to avoid me...

Good job Fletch is tall, no mistaking her...

fletch
18th-January-2006, 09:06 AM
What a lovely photo :flower: (and Chef looks positively yummy :drool: )

Chef always looks positiverly yummy, wouldn't you just give up your Saturday night freestyle with the girls for him:drool:

Dawn's very lucky, but have to admit they go together like hand and glove:worthy:

fletch
18th-January-2006, 09:10 AM
It might be considered sad, I know, but I was really looking forward to getting my badge...:sick:

Your not sad I had my badge on all night, and I would have felt the same:what:

I said you wouldn't miss me, but its no so good when you are trying to disappear into the background:rofl:

Minnie M
18th-January-2006, 09:15 AM
Well you didn't look very far Barry - I was sitting by Franco at the reception area most of the weekend taking bookings for Private Lessons with the teachers which I have announced many times on the forum and I had my Minnie Mouse badge on too :blush:

I did a trial run of badges with Avatars on but did have some spare ones for anyone who asked for names only :nice:

I will make a special one for you at your next weekender Camber/ Southport or Storm whichever one you are going to - ask for me, the organisers know me plus quite a few dancers (it is the Lynda's List that they know more than me) and I will introduce you to the others - I often wear my Minnie Mouse tops too

Looking forward to meeting you :hug:

BTW why didn't you ask Fletch who I was

My non-forum friends, with whom I was staying for the weekend, were beginning to give me that sort of patient, indulging look when I swapped venues for the fourth time in ten minutes, looking for some clue as to where the other forum-ites had disappeared to in order to avoid me...

Lynn
18th-January-2006, 11:40 AM
Well you didn't look very far Barry - I was sitting by Franco at the reception area most of the weekend taking bookings for Private Lessons with the teachers which I have announced many times on the forum and I had my Minnie Mouse badge on too :blush: Minnie is a fab person to know at weekenders as she can then tell you who everyone else is! :hug: Want to find forumites? Find Minnie first!

Barry Shnikov
18th-January-2006, 02:16 PM
I will make a special one for you at your next weekender Camber/ Southport or Storm whichever one you are going to
You are a gentleman and a scholar. I thank you.

BTW why didn't you ask Fletch who I wasI was looking for someone resembling the photo in your profile...
I remember asking her and WB something like, I've just been over at the Rendezvous - where are all the forumites?
I don't really have a strong recollection of anything resembling an intelligible answer. They can't have been drunk at 10.30, surely..?
So I danced with them then bumped into AMcG over in the blues room and got on with dancing.

fletch
18th-January-2006, 02:35 PM
I was looking for someone resembling the photo in your profile...
I remember asking her and WB something like, I've just been over at the Rendezvous - where are all the forumites?
I don't really have a strong recollection of anything resembling an intelligible answer. They can't have been drunk at 10.30, surely..?
So I danced with them then bumped into AMcG over in the blues room and got on with dancing.
Firstly I don't do alcohol:eek: and now you have done it WB will be after you for that comment about her intelligence:mad: you are either very brave or very stupid:na:

Barry Shnikov
18th-January-2006, 02:59 PM
Firstly I don't do alcohol:eek: and now you have done it WB will be after you for that comment about her intelligence:mad: you are either very brave or very stupid:na:
I did not say anything about WB's intelligence! You're a bad girl for saying so.
Maybe I should have said 'inaudible'...

Northants Girly
18th-January-2006, 03:00 PM
:rolleyes:

WittyBird
18th-January-2006, 03:53 PM

Very stupid me thinks :rofl:
I actually said something along the lines of ' If I see any of them I will introduce you' to which I received a snort, a grunt and another walk off! Now what were you saying about intelligence Barry? :whistle:

Minnie M
18th-January-2006, 04:20 PM
I was looking for someone resembling the photo in your profile...
If you need to find me on a JiveTime weekend most if not all the DJ's know who I am - and definitely all the teachers.

Andy McG knows me very well, possibly better than I know myself :whistle: and WB shared my Chalet - not to worry - to the next weekender :yeah:
:clap: :clap:

My profile piccie was when I was 8 years old, I have changed a little since then :whistle: but there are lots of photos of me scattered on different threads

fletch
18th-January-2006, 04:29 PM
You're a bad girl.

Me bad, I neaver get the chance:rolleyes:

Told you not to start on WB your in for it now:rofl:

Can you cope with two MAD BIRDS:devil:

WittyBird
18th-January-2006, 05:07 PM
Told you not to start on WB your in for it now:rofl:

Can you cope with two MAD BIRDS:devil:

Nah I don't hold grudges muchDon't think he could cope with 1 bird let alone 2 mad ones:rofl:

fletch
18th-January-2006, 05:11 PM
Don't think he could cope with 1 bird let alone 2 mad ones:rofl:
That was the impression I got :rofl:

WittyBird
18th-January-2006, 05:14 PM
That was the impression I got :rofl:
Well you know what they say about 1st impressions.... I'm the thick unintelligent one already, obviously a good judge of character :whistle:

Barry Shnikov
18th-January-2006, 08:32 PM
Very stupid me thinks :rofl:
I actually said something along the lines of ' If I see any of them I will introduce you' to which I received a snort, a grunt and another walk off! Now what were you saying about intelligence Barry? :whistle:

I danced with you almost straight away, as I remember...sad that I made so little impression...

Barry Shnikov
18th-January-2006, 08:33 PM
Feeling a little outnumbered here...help!:eek:

WittyBird
18th-January-2006, 08:41 PM
I danced with you almost straight away, as I remember...sad that I made so little impression...

IIRC it was one of my most memorable dances all weekend. :wink:

WittyBird
18th-January-2006, 08:42 PM
Aww you poor thing. :rofl:

Barry Shnikov
18th-January-2006, 08:56 PM
IIRC it was one of my most memorable dances all weekend. :wink:

Hmm. Flattery is always welcome, if seldom offered.

By the way - is your thigh better...:yum:

WittyBird
18th-January-2006, 09:00 PM
Hmm. Flattery is always welcome, if seldom offered.
What do you mean Hmm? That was as sincere as I get.

By the way - is your thigh better...:yum:
I am still taking pills and its still strapped up and I keep getting told off for not going to physio :wink: but apart from that its fine thanks for asking :flower:

CeeCee
19th-January-2006, 08:52 AM
Ah yes, the Bognor Weekender!
The positive:-
Thoroughly enjoyed the weekend, on the whole great dancing, great people, great atmosphere, great music, great massages, great accommodation and great fun.
I particularly liked the fuschia pink arm bands for everyone . I’ve no idea why some guys objected to wearing them. They were a beautiful addition to so many outfits!

The negative:-
The behaviour of some women was worthy of an Attenborough documentary on occasions. There were several tribal moments where the female of the species could be observed prowling the dance arena, lurking with intent before pouncing on her prey regardless of his attachment to another female.

My sympathies go to a pal of mine who was nursing his split lower lip. At the end of a dance before the music had finished, another woman hurled herself towards him knocking his dance partner out of the way in her desperation to dance with him. During the scrum she elbowed him in the face and he was afraid that he’d also damaged a tooth.

He was not a happy bunny.

Shame about the main room floor …

Originally posted by Andy Mcgregor
It looked uneven and had black tape on the joins but it was OK, if a bit slow.

Originally posted by wittybird
Well spotted oh eagle eyed one!
it's duct tape
it was uneven from Friday and the addition of duct tape made spinning interesting for the rest of the weekend. Surprised we didn’t see more ladies catching their heels and falling base over apex.

Originally posted by under par
I appreciate that we all enjoy ourselves in different ways but I just don’t get it, can someone tell me, why the Madison?
Why, oh why the Madison?

Originally posted by Minnie M
and I had my Minnie Mouse badge on too
oops sorry Minnie, I spoke to you lots of times and didn’t even see your badge.

Originally posted by Minnie M
Lots of discussions about them, great numbers walking out of their Saturday class half way through. There were complaints of too much performing and not enough teaching in their workshops. Annoyingly, their Sunday class overran into the lunchtime freestyle. Their lack of professionalism and poor punctuality are not endearing qualities and made many of us question their celebrity status and relevance at our jive weekender.

fletch
19th-January-2006, 09:14 AM
So was I correct :confused: you CAN'T cope with the two of us:wink:

Minnie M
19th-January-2006, 09:29 AM
oops sorry Minnie, I spoke to you lots of times and didn’t even see your badge.
:blush: I only wore it on Friday Night, didn't seem much point after that as it appeared that forumites weren't bothered about meeting up :sad: ........ however, I did get to meet a couple of new faces like DangerMouse :flower: and DirtyD :flower:

Minnie M
19th-January-2006, 03:40 PM
STOP PRESS .............
Message from Franco (JiveTime) as he is not able to post direct to forum today :-

Thank you for the various points raised in this forum. I offer my views and reasons as follows:

1. Bar not open in Jaks and tacky floor. I do not control the opening time of the bars at Butlin’s, that decision is made by Butlin’s on the basis of estimated customer spending. I asked Butlin’s to clean Jaks’ floor before arrival, which they did. I then asked again after arrival, which they did, and then again at which point Butlin’s informed me that they could do no more, as the drinks that had been spilled over the years on that floor had been absorbed into the wooden planks. I love that venue and I will ask Butlin’s whether they will allow me to employ an industrial service to clean the floor next January.

2. Closure of the bar in the main hall at 1.30 am. Again, I have not requested such early closure, nor do I understand why they closed the bar in the Rendezvous at a later time with fewer customers there. When I asked the questions, they told me that they looked into the bar takings from last year, according to that there was very poor use of the bar after 1.30 am and it was mainly water. Hence, they shut the bar early but provided a water fountain and jugs of water. I asked Butlin’s to extend the bar times but they informed me that they had already organized the staff bar rota and so they had no extra people to keep the bar opened longer. However, I was told that next year they will provide an extended service if asked in advance, albeit there would be a reduced number of bar staff after 1.30 am. Please rest assured that I will ask for the extended service.

3. “One water fountain for 6 or 7 hundred people”. This should be viewed in line with the service that the water fountain had to provide. The fountain did not operate until the bar was shut, as free water was available from the bar until closing time. At 1.30 am there were not 6 or 7 hundred people dancing nor did everyone need to drink water at the same time. In fact there were no unacceptable queues at the water fountain, and there was plenty water for all until the end. Albeit it is true to say that the water fountain broke down late on Sunday night, however, people were then given jugs of water before the bar closed.

4. “I am sure that Franco’s profit margin could have run to a few more (water fountains) or better still provide the punters with a bar beyond 01.30 hours.” I think that there is a misconception whereby some people think that I pay for the operation of the bar. I pay and receive nothing from the bar operation. As stated before, I have already asked for a later closing of the bar next year and I have been told that they will run longer albeit with a reduced workforce, as there would be fewer dancers around at that time of night. The water fountain was provided by Butlin’s free of charge, they could probably have provided more than one, still free of charge. As far as my profit margin is concerned, I can assure you that with the money I spent hiring Joseph & Sadie, I could have hired 100 water fountains and bought free drinks for a good number of people. I did not have to hire Joseph & Sadie, but I did.

5. The problems with the temporary dance floor, which is the same that we used last January and at Camber without any problem, is because Butlin’s failed to hoover the carpet properly. We arrived at 8.00 am on Friday morning to set up the floor and immediately reported the abundance of debris on the carpet to Butlin’s and asked them to hoover the floor. We were firstly told to wait and then told that there were no cleaning staff available at that time. To hoover that floor takes in the region of 2 to 3 hours, time that we did not have. Therefore, we laid the floor sweeping away as much debris as we could find. Unfortunately, as the lights were off, we did not see all bits and pieces. The portable floor is of a very high quality, but, just like any portable floor, it resents if the surface where it is laid down is uneven or dirty. Debris underneath the dance tiles will affect the floor, given that neighboring tiles will respond differently. Some flexing all the way down to the carpet whilst others will pop up due to the counter effect resulting from the debris on the carpet, pushing the tiles up and thus releasing the locking between tiles. This problem never happened before and certainly I will not allow it to happen again, as from now on I, or someone for me, will arrive early on Thursday morning (at Camber and Bognor) to inspect that the carpet has been properly cleaned.

6. “The lack of atmosphere in the Blues Room”. Aside from the venue itself, four things are the main contributor to the lack of atmosphere. Sound system, music played, lighting and people. I do not believe that the sound, music and lighting were the main problem; the main problem is that the vast majority of people preferred to be in the main venue. From past years, we know that this is a problem arising from the fact that in order to walk between the main and the blues venue, one has to walk outside, something that people clearly dislike. There is a large venue underneath the main venue which would be a fantastic blues room and which can be accessed, as is the case at Camber, by internal stairs. Only problem being that in this venue there is a jazz event taking place every year. I have had long discussions with Butlin’s on Monday and pointed out to them that the absence of a second venue within the same building is affecting us considerably. They have promised me to give ample consideration before they release that low level venue to the jazz people next year, especially as it looks like that it will be the last time that we use the Rendezvous given that it is to be turned into a conference venue, thus the hard dance floor will disappear and we’ll be in need of a second venue. For those who do not know it, the Rendezvous has an historical significance to the Modern Jive world, as that is the venue where all those years ago I organized the first ever Jive Weekend in the format to which you are all accustomed today. So I will keep you all informed in due course, as to whether or not next year we’ll have the new lower venue, hopefully we will.

7. On the question as to whether I still provide the premier class product, the reply is simple, if I was not doing just that, then the competition will have no reason to copy what I do. I am copying nobody and whilst some people are getting mesmerized by some colorful flyers and cherries on top of the cake provided by my competitors, it has to be noted that practically all that one can see in terms of jive weekends offered by a competitor is already being featured at my events. The event backbone is different workshops all day with freestyle late at night and across two venues, cabaret, decent teachers and decent DJs across a weekend of dance, this is what I have introduced in the MJ world, this is what has been copied and this is what has not yet been improved upon. A colorful flyer, a free t-shirt, large number of DJs to do the job of 10 and some other superficial smoke screen ideas is all that my competitors have managed to come up with. The only ground breaking idea has been the introduction of Gender Balanced events, something which I refuse to do as this practice would be illegal for me to introduce in accordance with Section 29 of the Sex Discrimination Act 1975 (as amended), more information about this and a copy of the act can be found on my web site, www.jivetime.co.uk

8. “Disappointed that Franco didn’t have the floor at Jaks bar cleaned for dancing he even ignored requests to clean it”. What????????

9. “It really is difficult to understand why Franco did not use this room (Jaks). Come on Franco wake up to your customers requirements. We the Dancers demand QUALITY ignore us at your peril”. What needs to be borne in mind is that I did not have to open Jaks at all; I opened it because I thought and still think, it is a great venue and the floor could be easily cleaned by Butlin’s. Neither I nor Butlin’s knew until they tried to clean that floor to our spec that this was to be impossible despite how much they tried to scrub it.

I trust that the above addresses all the relevant qustions that were raised in this forum, apologies if I have left anything of relevance out. I do not wish to start a debate and so please feel free to e-mail me on jive@jivetime.co.uk (in confidence or otherwise, as anyone prefers) should you require further clarifications.

Franco

Minnie M
19th-January-2006, 03:45 PM
........“Disappointed that Franco didn’t have the floor at Jaks bar cleaned for dancing he even ignored requests to clean it”.
:really: I was sitting next to Franco for most of the weekend and he specifically asked the Butlins crew to thoroughly clean the floor at JAKS on Saturday morning BEFORE classes started and even before any of the dancers even saw the floor :yeah:

under par
19th-January-2006, 06:40 PM
1. Bar not open in Jaks and tacky floor. I do not control the opening time of the bars at Butlin’s, that decision is made by Butlin’s on the basis of estimated customer spending. I asked Butlin’s to clean Jaks’ floor before arrival, which they did.

My argument is that we entrust our money to Franco to organise the basic needs of dancers at a weekend event.

Franco is the customer of Butlins and as such he should be making the demands of Butlins to provide his customers with a reasonable level of service.

To say he cannot control the opening times of the bars is a fop. Franco gets what he pays for. If he wanted the bar open and was willing to pay the staff what was required to have it open Butlins have all the licences required. So it was a cost which made the bar not open.

2. Closure of the bar in the main hall at 1.30 am. Again, I have not requested such early closure, nor do I understand why they closed the bar in the Rendezvous at a later time with fewer customers there. When I asked the questions, they told me that they looked into the bar takings from last year, according to that there was very poor use of the bar after 1.30 am and it was mainly water.

"I have not requested such early closure" Hmph! what !
As a customer of Butlins why has Franco not demanded as part of his contract that bars will be open for his punters when the rooms are open.
I fear the tail is wagging the dog here!

So what was Francos response to the bar closing in the main hall "I asked questions..."

"fact there were no unacceptable queues at the water fountain, and there was plenty water for all until the end"

Most people were so miffed on friday night with the lack of bar they all brought loads of bottled stuff themselves on the Saturday and Sunday nights,
all very .... I don't know ..... well not quite "premier"event really more a MFI , do it yourself thing..

As far as my profit margin is concerned, I can assure you that with the money I spent hiring Joseph & Sadie, I could have hired 100 water fountains and bought free drinks for a good number of people. I did not have to hire Joseph & Sadie, but I did.

So I should appreciate you more for this aspect of the weekend and not feel you have neglected other aspects.

Your choice was to hire J&S great!.. but enough money should have been in your calculations to provide these other bits as well IMHO.. I don't want free drinks just the ability like last year and the Camber events to get my own throughout the whole weekend in all the halls used. It is an aerobic discipline after all. I don't appreciate having to carry 4 litres of water all around the event because the organisers haven't provided these essentials.

On the question as to whether I still provide the premier class product, the reply is simple, if I was not doing just that, then the competition will have no reason to copy what I do. I am copying nobody and whilst some people are getting mesmerized by some colorful flyers and cherries on top of the cake provided by my competitors, it has to be noted that practically all that one can see in terms of jive weekends offered by a competitor is already being featured at my events.

This statement says it all Franco. You had a great idea it worked so people copied you. The weekender was your baby, but I fear others are improving the product.
Then to say "I am copying nobody..." smacks of complacency. You should look at others and where they do things better than you then it is up to you to copy them or improve on them.

Customer Service... making your customers happy, listening to their concerns and trying where feasible to act on those concerns is what you should be about.

Your product has deteriorated at Bognor IMHO you may have tried to give more ie Jaks but if the basics aren't right , decent floor and provision of any drinks etc. then all you have is an mainly empty room with a Dj playing some great music.

I have previously really really enjoyed Bognor and have preferred Bognor to Camber. I even brought 3 weekender virgins to this event because I wanted them to enjoy your event.

The weekend that just passed was not up to your usual standard. I want it to be as good as before. You need to listen not just to me but to other people and not just the forum people.

Putting your head in sand and believing that what you provided at Bognor was the best will lead you to definite problems in the future.

There are other events and some are better than yours, learn from them!

You have all next year to plan in bar staff ,decent floors, lighting etc it should not be a shock that Bognor is every January so you have time to make sure that you are going to put Jivetime back in the premier league where you should be.

David Bailey
19th-January-2006, 09:20 PM
Franco is the customer of Butlins and as such he should be making the demands of Butlins to provide his customers with a reasonable level of service.

To say he cannot control the opening times of the bars is a fop. Franco gets what he pays for. If he wanted the bar open and was willing to pay the staff what was required to have it open Butlins have all the licences required. So it was a cost which made the bar not open.
Actually (and amazingly) I've got a bit of sympathy for Franco here. Some venue managers have a real thing about organising bars their own particular way, and simply won't listen to the actual event organiser. They typically say "take it or leave it", and that's that.

I guess it's because at a "normal" weekender, so much of their revenue is from alcohol sales - and mostly they don't understand the mentality of dancers who mostly don't drink and dance. Ashtons is like this - they're a law unto their own sometimes.

Having said that, I'd agree with you UP: the other stuff - "first and best", rubbishing the competition, etc. - is of course vintage Francospeak. But I guess we're all used to that by now, especially after the "Gender balancing is illegal, immoral and fattening" proclamation.

Barry Shnikov
20th-January-2006, 12:01 AM
So was I correct :confused: you CAN'T cope with the two of us:wink:
Ever heard of the term 'double trouble'?:devil:

Swinging bee
20th-January-2006, 10:38 AM
We have heard the voice of the elite minority, what, I wonder is the verdict of the silent majority ?. I doubt that we will ever know. I am with Franco on this one, the boss and I had a great weekend, as did many from our dance group who attended . Well done! Franco.

stewart38
20th-January-2006, 10:48 AM
We have heard the voice of the elite minority, what, I wonder is the verdict of the silent majority ?. I doubt that we will ever know.

I think he was short 200 this year ??

If he is short 400 next year that would be the 'voice'

Time will tell

David Bailey
20th-January-2006, 10:52 AM
We have heard the voice of the elite minority, what, I wonder is the verdict of the silent majority ?. I doubt that we will ever know.
Yeah, strange that, these annoying silent majorities, why don't they ever speak up, huh?

I guess the only way of finding out what the silent majority think is when you find out they don't come to your event.

I've no idea as to the business / numbers side of things, but as Stewart38 says, I did hear a couple of anecdotes that people had been upgraded, which seems to imply it wasn't as busy as previous years.

As for the whingers, fair enough, some of us do like to moan. On the other hand, I imagine that a clever businessman would look at the "Southport" and "Storm" threads, note the comments people made there, and compare them with the "Bognor" comments, to judge how well his business was doing against the competition. That would seem to be more productive.

And whingers are customers too - just because they're more vocal, doesn't mean they're unrepresentative (although I'm sure Stewart38 is happy at being called elite :) )

Again, I'd imagine that a clever businessman would take this free customer feedback, and (in the absence of contrary evidence) assume that it does represent the majority viewpoint.

Swinging bee
20th-January-2006, 11:30 AM
Yeah, strange that, these annoying silent majorities, why don't they ever speak up, huh?

I guess the only way of finding out what the silent majority think is when you find out they don't come to your event.

I've no idea as to the business / numbers side of things, but as Stewart38 says, I did hear a couple of anecdotes that people had been upgraded, which seems to imply it wasn't as busy as previous years.

As for the whingers, fair enough, some of us do like to moan. On the other hand, I imagine that a clever businessman would look at the "Southport" and "Storm" threads, note the comments people made there, and compare them with the "Bognor" comments, to judge how well his business was doing against the competition. That would seem to be more productive.

And whingers are customers too - just because they're more vocal, doesn't mean they're unrepresentative (although I'm sure Stewart38 is happy at being called elite :) )

Again, I'd imagine that a clever businessman would take this free customer feedback, and (in the absence of contrary evidence) assume that it does represent the majority viewpoint.

Great stuff this, just what Forums are all about! thank god for freedom of speech ...it only takes one to disagree!!:flower:

David Bailey
20th-January-2006, 11:43 AM
Great stuff this, just what Forums are all about! thank god for freedom of speech ...it only takes one to disagree!!:flower:
And I didn't even go to Bognor :rofl:

LMC
20th-January-2006, 11:55 AM
Research conducted by TARP in the USA and Europe over several years may be summarised as follows:

96 percent of dissatisfied customers do not complain to the supplier (i.e. for every 10 complainants there are 250 other dissatisfied customers). A dissatisfied customer will tell 8 to 10 people of their experience, twice as many as a satisfied customer tells.
At any one time, 25 percent of customers are sufficiently upset to switch to a competitor - if one is available.
90 percent of those customers whose problems are not resolved will never (assuming they have a choice!) do business with that supplier again.

source: http://www.gfknop.co.uk/content/news/news/myst_standards_uk.pdf (an international research group)

I wonder how many people are either too polite or less passionate than those who have spoken out. Or are simply not members of the forum.

EDIT due to cross-post:

And I didn't even go to Bognor :rofl:
Neither did I, but I've never let lack of personal experience or knowledge prevent me from taking part in an argument :blush: :rofl:

David Franklin
20th-January-2006, 01:21 PM
Re: Cabarets v.s. Water Fountains

I'm guessing Franco thought getting big names like Joseph and Sadie would attract customers, otherwise he wouldn't have paid out for them. The number of water fountains is probably less likely to bring people in. (Though the lack of them may drive some away for next year). Without wanting to be cynical, no organiser is going to spend money unless he thinks it will bring in a return.

But to defend Franco a little; my memory of Bognor is that it's never been quite as packed as Camber - so I'm not sure spare spaces imply its imminent demise. And although many of the problems reported smack of bad pre-planning, I think it's unrealistic to expect him to be able to summon up extra water fountains or bar staff within a few hours.

under par
20th-January-2006, 01:59 PM
But to defend Franco a little; my memory of Bognor is that it's never been quite as packed as Camber - so I'm not sure spare spaces imply its imminent demise. And although many of the problems reported smack of bad pre-planning, I think it's unrealistic to expect him to be able to summon up extra water fountains or bar staff within a few hours.

If he had planned the bar opening times for the duration of the dancing for his paying customers in advance with Butlins then water fountains would never ever be on the agenda. Which is the point I wish to reiterate there was no plan in for bar times which I think is poor.

I repeat I have had some of my best weekenders at Bognor and I want them back I am not anti Jive time or Franco but I feel the need to say what was wrong last weekend so it doesn't happen again.

Lee
20th-January-2006, 02:40 PM
Firstly, I do not want to contact Franko privately as this I feel this forum is the best place to air concerns. :clap:

As a newbie to the Modern Jive world (only having been dancing for 2 years now and having been to 3 cambers and 2 bognors), I would like to make my comments, as people seem to be calling some of you the elite minority :rofl:, and I would class myself as one of the majority. Especially when I go to these events with between 10 & 30 people from my venue who are all relavitely new compared to some of you old timers hehe :whistle:

I think this is the perfect place for Franko to get feedback from him customers about the events he runs (in which may I point out he must be making a lot of money from), and he is lucky they provide him with constructive criticism as many dissatisfied customers stay quite and never return.

I don’t think he should get involved with this debate on the forum, this would go on for months. I would like to see him using this forum and using the people on it (as they are passionate about making these events work), rather than trying to justify reason why parts of the weekend were….less than perfect. Pick an issue and discuss way of improving it, then move on to the next.

He knows there will always be a steady stream of newer dancers coming through the ranks hearing about the weekender (as they are the best way to improve your dancing) but from his comments I just feel he is trying to justify why some parts of the weekend were substandard (to our expectations).

Unfortunately the ‘local’ competition has yet to prove itself and my expectations remain low for them, but I really hope that ‘they’ run an amazing weekend in March (opps I’ve given them away now :whistle: ) but i hope this will give us all the option of which event to go to next time if it goes well.

I have decided not to go to Camber in May as I wasn’t impressed with the last 2 :tears:, and because of this some people that dance at the same venue as me won’t bother either, I can tell 10-20 people not to go, they can tell another 10 each, before you know it everyone stops going. So individuals do matter.

I have to say, these event seemed better when you are new to dancing, as you progress the classes get boring and it’s only the people that make these weekenders great. :cheers:

Oh by the way, it would be nice if Butlins get some new beds for next year. :mad: :angry: :tears:

Lee

Barry Shnikov
20th-January-2006, 02:58 PM
I have decided not to go to Camber in May as I wasn’t impressed with the last 2 :tears:, and because of this some people that dance at the same venue as me won’t bother either

Wow. I'm impressed that there are people who won't go because you aren't going...

WittyBird
20th-January-2006, 03:00 PM
Wow. I'm impressed that there are people who won't go because you aren't going...
:rofl: funniest thing I have read so far :worthy:

Lee
20th-January-2006, 03:01 PM

I knew YOU would pick up on that, i meant that some of them haven't been before, and would go if someone organised it. At the venue i go to it becomes a social thing, the more that sya are going the more that want to go.

Lee

Lee
20th-January-2006, 03:03 PM
:rofl: funniest thing I have read so far :worthy:

You can shut up too Miss :D

WittyBird
20th-January-2006, 03:04 PM
You can shut up too Miss :D
Ooooh, Says Mr big organiser elitist guy himself :rofl:
Whatever, bovered :rolleyes:

Lee
20th-January-2006, 03:07 PM
Ooooh, Says Mr big organiser elitist guy himself :rofl:
Whatever, bovered :rolleyes:

I didn't organise Bognor, i went with the crowd, ner ner.

I'm, just saying.... oh whatever, face bovered....... :D

:rofl:

Lee

WittyBird
20th-January-2006, 03:08 PM
i went with the crowd, ner ner.

Baa Baa :rofl:

fletch
20th-January-2006, 05:12 PM
Well my verdict is,

Probably all girlie stuff.

I wish there had been more people in Jak's bar in the after noon to dance with and I believe people didn't turn up cos of the floor, i'm sure a water fountain could have been provided or wheel a vending machine in temporarily to accommodate us. I was really P**** off having to go to the shop in the rain to get water, my hair was blown all over the place, so with this in mind on the Sunday I took plenty of provisions, but no one danced so I was left lugging a load of water around all afternoon (no good for the image)

Also, having two separate rooms isn't the best, having to put your coat on to flit from room to room, but all in all I had a FAB weekend I will defiantly go again and its the people that make the place, and the company was the best.

:cheers:

stewart38
20th-January-2006, 05:26 PM
Baa Baa :rofl:

Is all the feed back ?

Just bleeting nothing ?

Andy McGregor
20th-January-2006, 05:29 PM
Also, having two separate rooms isn't the best, having to put your coat on to flit from room to room, but all in all I had a FAB weekend I will defiantly go again and its the people that make the place, and the company was the best.

:cheers:With all the flitting Fletch must have done to change outfits I think she must have spent a significant proportion of the weekend walking. Thank goodness her legs are so magnificently long - not that I saw where they finish:whistle:

WittyBird
20th-January-2006, 05:31 PM
not that I saw where they finish:whistle:
Not for the want of trying tho was it :rofl:

fletch
20th-January-2006, 05:32 PM
With all the flitting Fletch must have done to change outfits I think she must have spent a significant proportion of the weekend walking. Thank goodness her legs are so magnificently long - not that I saw where they finish:whistle:
:worthy:

You only had to ask:rofl:

Andy McGregor
20th-January-2006, 05:33 PM
Not for the want of trying tho was it :rofl:Abolutely right. Every single outfit that Fletch wore was trying to show me where her legs finished :wink:

WittyBird
20th-January-2006, 05:35 PM
Abolutely right. Everysingle outfit that Fletch wore was trying to show me where her legs finished :wink:
Yeah but aint you supposed to swing the woman under your legs? Surely its not the other way around? :rolleyes:

Andy McGregor
20th-January-2006, 05:38 PM
Yeah but aint you supposed to swing the woman under your legs? Surely its not the other way around? :rolleyes:Not if you swing both ways :what:

fletch
20th-January-2006, 05:43 PM
Not if you swing both ways :what:

stop making me laugh you will burst my stitches

:waycool:

WittyBird
20th-January-2006, 05:44 PM

stop making me laugh you will burst my stitches

:waycool:
go to bed and sleep it off - you have to stop getting into these pub brawls

Swinging bee
20th-January-2006, 07:38 PM
Couldn't buy a copy at the Butlin's shop on Saturday you must have bought it :rolleyes: (the shevles were full of The Sun and The Star etc :whistle: )

I still have page 4 if you want it, but there's not much of it left now as I used it as toilet paper :rofl:

Minnie M
20th-January-2006, 07:50 PM
I still have page 4 if you want it, but there's not much of it left now as I used it as toilet paper :rofl:
:sad: :innocent: it is a really good girlie paper and Saturday's TV guide is the best of the freebees :worthy: