PDA

View Full Version : BritRock Aftermath & Results

Minnie M
9th-October-2005, 02:48 AM
Just got in, great day the Rock Bottom team really know how to put on an event - we even got melon and oranges cut neatly for all to have :clap: :yum:

Hev Mate - the tops :worthy: brilliant job of MCing and she looked fantastic.

Expect for a tiny hitch with the results of the senior section, it run right on time :worthy:

The music was the best I have heard at a competition - thanks to DJ: Bunny & JB :worthy:

The standard of entrants was really high, which made the freestyle fantastic :clap:

My thanks to Sarah Johnson & the Rock Bottom team for an really really great day :cheers:

The Results
(apologies for bad spelling :blush: )
DWAS
1st Graham (?) and Yuko
2nd Wendy Hill & Roger Chin
3rd Richard Hill + ??

Seniors
1st John & Wendy Braden
2nd Garth Luxton & Sue Halliday
3rd Alex Hardy & Lina Britten

Intermediates
1st Richard & Wendy Hill
2nd Robert Jeffereys & Margaret Miller
3rd Steve Warner & Tina Stevenson

Advance
1st Simon Arondel & Elaine Barwell
2nd Beckie Randell & Matt Kavanagh
3rd Keelan Leyser and Charlotte Volber (sp?)

Hot Spot
Beckie Randell & Matt Kavanagh (LeRoc 2000 - Bristol)

Showcase
1st Phil & Yuko
2nd Beckie Randell & Matt Kavanagh & Jennie Harrison

Open
1st Simon Rich & Lisa Saw
2nd Phil & Yuo
3rd Keeley Chambers & Simon Bowker

Daisy
9th-October-2005, 03:14 AM
Just got in, great day the Rock Bottom team really know how to put on an event - we even got melon and oranges cut neatly for all to have :clap: :yum:

Hev Mate - the tops :worthy: brilliant job of MCing and she looked fantastic.

Expect for a tiny hitch with the results of the senior section, it run right on time :worthy:

The music was the best I have heard at a competition - thanks to DJ: Bunny & JB :worthy:

The standard of entrants was really high, which made the freestyle fantastic :clap:

My thanks to Sarah Johnson & the Rock Bottom team for an really really great day :cheers:

The Results
(apologies for bad spelling :blush: )
DWAS
1st Graham (?) and Yuko
2nd Wendy Hill & Roger Chin
3rd Richard Hill + ??

Seniors
1st John & Wendy Braden
2nd Garth Luxton & Sue Halliday
3rd Alex Hardy & Lina Britten

Intermediates
1st Richard & Wendy Hill
2nd Robert Jeffereys & Margaret Miller
3rd Steve Warner & Tina Stevenson

Advance
1st Simon Arondel & Elaine Barwell
2nd Beckie Randell & Matt Kavanagh
3rd Keelan Leyser and Charlotte Volber (sp?)

Hot Spot
Beckie Randell & Matt Kavanagh (LeRoc 2000 - Bristol)

Showcase
1st Phil & Yuko
2nd Beckie Randell & Matt Kavanagh & Jennie Harrison

Open
1st Simon Rich & Lisa Saw
2nd Phil & Yuo
3rd Keeley Chambers & Simon Bowker

A HUGE congratulations to everyone who got into finals, placed or WON:clap:

Congrats too to lovely Sarah and the BritRock team for a comp well done and well run by the sounds or it.:cheers:

Extra especial congrats to our friends Simon & Lisa:kiss: :clap: :worthy: We knew you could do it. Also to the unstoppable Phil & Yuko :clap: :worthy: , to Simon & Keeley:clap: :flower: and Simon & Elaine:clap: :hug: all that hard work has really paid off this year.

Would have loved to have seen the smiles on all your faces so maybe someone will post some photos.

WELL DONE ONE & ALL :clap:

ChrisA
9th-October-2005, 09:05 AM
A HUGE congratulations to everyone who got into finals, placed or WON:clap:

... :yeah:

Simon & Elaine :worthy:

Simon & Lisa :worthy:

Well done all :cheers:

Minnie M
9th-October-2005, 09:29 AM
Sorry to rub it in, but the freestyle (and there was lots of it) was amaaaazing..... the standard was so high and all the performances were so good that everyone was on a high - I was in dancing heaven :worthy::drool: :worthy: :grin: :D

I think the number must be been reasonably even to, I was able to ask for a dance as well as being asked

My evening started with a dance from Simon Borland :drool: and it (if possible) just got better and better - and it finished with a dance with Mr. Sheepman :worthy: thank you ALL for my wonderful amazing dances you know who you are by my very happy smiley face when dancing :yeah: :hug: :kiss: (not forgetting those dreamy dances with DavidB:drool: :yum: )

Even had a chance to catch up with the social bit at the break noshing at the Tapas Bar with the Barkers and TiggsTours :hug:

However the day really goes to the competitors and the champs - congratulations to all the winners and those placed - with the exception of one girl in the DWAS :angry: excellant judging :yeah:

Phil & Yuko have stolen our hearts - consistently great

Simon & Elaine - first time I have actually seen them in competition :worthy: wonderful and Elaine looked stunning :yeah:

Simon & Lisa - they were fantastic so together the certainly deserved to win :flower: :worthy: :clap:

Have to say though that Bristol won the day :hug: those guys were so good and such lovely people too :flower:

And the best thing of the day - I only live about a mile up the road :innocent: :rofl: :clap:
oh, and the 'gutbuster' we had after the show :blush: (DavidB you are the king - megabuster, LilyB not bad for such a little thing and Simon Borland 'Welcome to the Market Diner') and you other guys missed out on a real treat :cool: )

Andy McGregor
9th-October-2005, 01:53 PM
It was the first competition I've been to as a spectator (I did 2 rounds of DWAS just to keep my hand in) and it was one of the best :clap:

There's too many people to mention but I'd just like to say that Simon and Lisa* were fab - showcase next year please :wink:

One comical/sexy moment was when a young/slim/pretty/elegant lady wearing a floaty chiffon dress in one of the heats had a Marilyn Monroe moment dancing next to one of the fans - I must be turning into a girl because my first thought was that her knickers didn't match her shoes :whistle: I glanced over at Nigel Anderson whose eyes were out on stalks - although when I mentioned it he said he was looking at a completely different competitor who had a very low-cut top she was about to pop out of :rofl:

:plug mode: Lisa can be found teaching with me at the Shoreham Centre most Thursday nights :wink: :/plug mode:

ChrisA
9th-October-2005, 01:57 PM
I must be turning into a girl because my first thought was that her knickers didn't match her shoes :whistle:
It could be just your age, Andy...

... though I'm not sure which is worse. :devil:

Mary
9th-October-2005, 03:52 PM
Great day yesterday. Lots of admirable dancers. Hev in the role of MC I thought was superb, and the Sarah/Rock Bottoms collaboration is a hit IMO.

Everone bitches about the music played in the heats at competitions so I can't praise Sally highly enough in the care and effort she obviously made in the choice of tracks. As I remember there was plenty that was new, interesting, inspiring and challenging - each appropriate to the category at the time. It was also good to see some people taken outside their 'comfort' zone and how they responded to the music being played.

Highlights for me were watching Simon and Lisa, and Simon and Keely dancing in the Open - both couples demonstrating more emphasis on musicality. Also Roger Chin and Keely in a round of DWAS - they rocked!

Some great freestyle dances as well - just wish I could have done some more.

Oh, and that floor....................................

Great day, great atmosphere, lots of friends.:cheers: :cheers:

Big pat on the back for Tony - he entered the advanced on the day with someone he has only ever had one dance with and they made it to the final. He did have a fabulous partner who I always enjoy watching and trying to learn from.:worthy:

M

Divissima
9th-October-2005, 05:32 PM
Congratulations to everyone - as Daisy said, a lot of hard work and determination has really paid off. It sounds like it was a fantastic competition and a great day - I'm just sorry TwK and I couldn't be there to cheer you all on :clap:

Minnie M
9th-October-2005, 05:41 PM
.......Big pat on the back for Tony - he entered the advanced on the day with someone he has only ever had one dance with and they made it to the final. He did have a fabulous partner who I always enjoy watching and trying to learn from.:worthy:
:yeah: :worthy: :yeah: and didn't Tony look :drool: in the showcase outfit - and we such attitude :clap:

The floor was awful, very sticky round the sides and very fast in the middle :eek: so the competitors had an even harder task :worthy:

ElaineB
9th-October-2005, 08:41 PM
Simon and I would like to thank the Brit Rock organisers for a wonderful day yesterday. There were some superb touches (the melon etc) and the music for the competition was excellent! :clap: :clap: :clap: Again the freestyle music, was brilliant!

Also, what a friendly crew!!! I have never been to a Brit Rock event (Beach Boogie, Rock Bottoms) and have been told that the organisers are great fun - and they are!!! Hev was a brilliant MC! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Only downside for me was the floor - unfortunately, I couldn't keep my feet from sliding in the Showcase, but as David Barker said, another excuse for a new pair of shoes, this time with rubber soles! The team worked very hard and in the interval, washed the floor down, which really helped for the finals. I was very impressed that comments about the floor were taken on board and that next year it will be sorted. I understand that instructions were given to the venue NOT to polish it this year, but someone was a bit keen and did it anyway?

Thanks also everyone for your kind comments, last night and here today. Simon and I are really touched! :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

To the other competitors, congratulations!!! The finals were, as ever, amazing to watch :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Just a note of commiseration to Marty Baby and Sharon. This competition was their first together and being a National, they were not expecting anything. They danced brilliantly and made it to the finals, but seconds before they were due to go on, Sharon had a really bad attack of cramp and had to withdraw. :tears: They both took it really well last night and Martin was an absolute Gent!

oh, and the 'gutbuster' we had after the show :blush: (DavidB you are the king - megabuster, LilyB not bad for such a little thing and Simon Borland 'Welcome to the Market Diner') and you other guys missed out on a real treat :cool: )

Ah, but Minnie, our real treat was having a crisp and nut party in the hotel room after the competition :wink: :whistle: :whistle: Alcohol was nowhere to be seen......true, as we had all got blotto at the venue earlier!!

Elaine

Simon
9th-October-2005, 09:32 PM
Simon & Elaine - first time I have actually seen them in competition :worthy: wonderful and Elaine looked stunning :yeah:
:yeah:

Simon & Lisa - they were fantastic so together the certainly deserved to win :flower: :worthy: :clap: I saw them in the Semi Final and they looked awesome. :sad:

Have to say though that Bristol won the day :hug: those guys were so good and such lovely people too :flower: Quite, true. :wink:

marty_baby
9th-October-2005, 10:11 PM
Hiya All,

What a crazy weekend! These dance competition events are really worth going to - a real adrenaline buzz. Came back from Hove and flaked out on the sofa for ages... and I feel still like I've been run over by a bus! 8)

Its great to see Musicality and Style being seriously recognised at the top levels of competition!... and not just the Raw majesty and skill of power ariels and lifts... Simon and Keeley looked admazing, and their musicality shone, as did their cheeky style at times! They won everyone one over on the day! 8)

...and Well done especially to Elaine and Simon! Advanced winners - winning with their epitome of classic style and panache! True champions! 8) ...especially considering the build up to the competition. No sleep the night before in a noisy "hotel".... and they had all the hassle of moving out of their nightmare hotel and into ours litterally less than an hour before kick off... having to walk all their stuff across Hove.... No drama, they just got on with it... well done guys! 8)

...Alex and Lin had to do the same trek across hove.... Lin rose above her week long illness and the hassles of the day - and really come through big time on the day - well done!!

Mat and Becky Rocked - Faster the better huh?!?! 8) The Bristol 1940's outfit came out again and wowed the crowd.

Jenni really did herself proud and looked fantastic in her little dress - I did a double take when I 1st saw walk past me! 8)

Finally... a huge thank you to Elaine! Sharon was upset and in tears at times, and Elaine was there for her - girly comforting, us blokes were no good in this area!... At one point Elaine was giving little Sharon a big hug, Becky Joined in... and Mat, Simon and I all looked at each other like 5th wheels! Oh well, men can't be good at everything!...

Right, bath and sleep for me now I reckon! What a great weekend - well done everyone! 8)

Martin

Minnie M
9th-October-2005, 10:38 PM
Simon and Keeley looked admazing, and their musicality shone, as did their cheeky style at times! They won everyone one over on the day
:yeah: :worthy: :yeah:
That guy is soooooooo cool :waycool: :cool: did anyone notice that cute, and so slick WCS move they did :clap: *it was the one Sarah Van Drake was demonstrating at Rebel Yell last weekend :worthy:

and I just lurve those funky moves S & K do :clap: it's so great to see a couple work so well together

BTW Marty you looked great, and you really looked as if you were having such fun, what a shame and what a gentleman you are :flower:

*arm in arm and the girl slips under the arm nearly doing the splits :worthy: (also saw LilyB doing it with Simon Borland during the freestyle) :worthy:

ElaineB
9th-October-2005, 10:56 PM
:yeah: :worthy: :yeah:
That guy is soooooooo cool :waycool: :cool: did anyone notice that cute, and so slick WCS move they did :clap: *it was the one Sarah Van Drake was demonstrating at Rebel Yell last weekend :worthy:

and I just lurve those funky moves S & K do :clap: it's so great to see a couple work so well together

Their musical interpretation is world class and I really loved watching them in the finals. Some fab humour in there as well! I just can't believe how they do it! Virtually no practice time together, then last year, they win the advanced. This year,Simon just back from honeymoon and then he gets third in the open!!! The sign of much talent, methinks!!!!

[QUOTE=Minnie M]:

BTW Marty you looked great, and you really looked as if you were having such fun, what a shame and what a gentleman you are :flower:

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Elaine

Mostlysane
10th-October-2005, 09:53 AM
Fantastic day. And my first competiton. I'm hooked now. I can't wait until the next one. Well done to one and all for some awesome displays of dancing. And the finals. :worthy: Never seen anything like it.

We even got some time to sit by the sea and chill (well skive off from the freestyle for 30 minutes :) ).

Thanks everyone.

I wonder if we can get the play list, there were some great tunes in the competitons and in the freestyle.

Lou
10th-October-2005, 09:56 AM
:clap:

Well done! :kiss: :hug: :kiss:

(Am v. proud of Bristol's results! You guys have worked so hard & deserve everything you've got! )

Simon r
10th-October-2005, 10:06 AM
Well done to all the finalists and winners on the day...

Special moments

Watching Simon and Keeley at the semi guys you rock..

Simon and Elaine showcase looking slick and getting better with each showing.

Phil and Yuko... good friends and great support.

Keith and Victoria Stunning movement great original moves and such god dam grace.

All of the open finalists sat having a drink at the bar afterwards and realising what fantastic mates we all are.:hug:

Thank you to all those that have supported and helped both Lisa and myself and thank you for such a great crowd on the day...

Well done to the rock bottom/ brit rock crew and Sarah brilliant day well organised great music all day and night ....

Huge respect to Lisa who has put up with my moods at practice and usually tells me quite rightly to pi** off, she has worked so hard and I know how much this also means to her.

Lastly a big thank you to the very lovely Nicole who always supports me and keeps slapping me when i get down and then pulls me together and sends me back out ....

Thanks
Simon

Cruella
10th-October-2005, 10:11 AM
So glad you have finally got what you have long deserved Simon and Lisa.:clap: Just wish i'd been there to see it.:tears: Congratulations to you and all the other competitors.:flower:

TiggsTours
10th-October-2005, 11:26 AM
One comical/sexy moment was when a young/slim/pretty/elegant lady wearing a floaty chiffon dress in one of the heats had a Marilyn Monroe moment dancing next to one of the fans - I must be turning into a girl because my first thought was that her knickers didn't match her shoes :whistle: I glanced over at Nigel Anderson whose eyes were out on stalks - although when I mentioned it he said he was looking at a completely different competitor who had a very low-cut top she was about to pop out of :rofl:
Elegant? :rofl: I'm sorry Andy, but she danced like a horse! Everybody was saying it, God only knows how she got through the first heat, let alone to the final! But then, by what you say about Nigel's eyes, I guess we know.

Tor
10th-October-2005, 12:03 PM
Hi everyone out there in forum world, I don't ever post anything on here but I just had to say thanks for all your support over Brit Rock. Congratulations to everyone who took part (personally I'm far too scared to get out on the floor and enter anything). Delighted to hear so many positive comments - promise we'll do our best to sort out the ice rink floor!
I thought the standard was amazing and I too had some wicked dances in between door duties.
So thanks for coming and strutting your stuff.

Gladrags
10th-October-2005, 01:43 PM
Their musical interpretation is world class and I really loved watching them in the finals. Some fab humour in there as well! I just can't believe how they do it! Virtually no practice time together, then last year, they win the advanced. This year,Simon just back from honeymoon and then he gets third in the open!!! The sign of much talent, methinks!!!!

I've just gotta agree with this. Simon & Keeley always looks like they having a whole lot of fun, whether in the open final or simply freestyling away. Of all the dancers on show, he'd certainly be the one I'd aspire to. Had a dance with Keeley in freestyle, just the easiest person to lead.

As always in the open final, how on earth do you separate them? Well done Simon and Lisa.

Had a good day, nice to win DWAS, although I of course was dead jammy to dance with Yuko :worthy: Thanks to those who gave support, and the organisers for such a smooth event.

Hevmate
10th-October-2005, 02:19 PM
Just want to add more thanks to you all for such fab comments. First proper competition I've Mc'd at and Ill admit I was a tad worried that my 'banter' / or as I call it inane twaddle may distract the competitors! so I tried to behave:wink: You were a great crowd to play with, no hecklers and very attentive- Thank YOU for being wonderful.
-Even managed to sing on stage !!! I was soooo good you would have thought it was the cd-
blatant plug: Hope your all coming next year (Oct 14th 2006)

Keith
10th-October-2005, 02:48 PM
Hi Guys,
Just wanted to say a huge thanks to all the guys who helped organise this event.
It’s a phenomenal job, and wouldn’t be possible without the full team pulling together, that starts with Sarah & the Rock Bottoms Crew, DJ’s & Judges, the backroom boys on the lighting etc, to those runners who keep everything in order, from door staff to people mopping up the odd spillage. A great job by all
Then where would we be without those entrants from the fun events to the more prestigious events, travelling from around the country? Again it wouldn’t be possible if it weren’t for those who came and bravely entered their first ever event, to those trying out for the 2nd or 3rd time, all the way up to those seasoned dancers who wow the crowds with smooth innovative moves. Well done to every contestant.
Personal congratulations to all those who entered & again to all those winners & finalists.
Personal highs; as Simon said, sitting chatting in the bar with great friends, after competing so fervently against each other. This is how the dance world should be; life’s far too short. (Possibly getting too philosophical :whistle: )
Personal thanks to my phenomenal new dance partner Victoria, who after dancing for around 3 years & competitive dancing on only 4 occasions, shows true class, what a find!
To my wife Janey, a huge thank you for her total support & I did truly miss her this weekend. She means the world to me.
Thank you to all those well-wishers, I have passed all your comments on to Janey who was thrilled to hear from you all. We will post as promised as soon as our little one is born.
Well done & congrat’s to everyone :cheers: :worthy: :hug: :kiss: :clap:
Keith

Andy McGregor
10th-October-2005, 05:18 PM
Elegant? :rofl: I'm sorry Andy, but she danced like a horse! Everybody was saying it, God only knows how she got through the first heat, let alone to the final! But then, by what you say about Nigel's eyes, I guess we know.I didn't say her dancing was elegant ...

But she did look elegant in that dress and was wearing gold shoes to die for :waycool:

.. shame her knickers didn't match :wink:

Dreadful Scathe
10th-October-2005, 05:27 PM
Wish I could have made it - Britroc was brilliant last year :) Maybe next time.

Well done all, especially Elaine and Simon ;)

Paul F
10th-October-2005, 05:48 PM
Really enjoyable day on Saturday.

Have to say once again how much I admire Sarah and the RockBottoms team. Half way through they were out treating the floor due to feedback they must have received from the dancers :worthy:

The atmosphere was friendly, the venue had superb air-con - absolutely superb, the dancing was top draw and the music was nothing short of wonderful. A lovely mix of slow tracks and only the odd 'classic' MJ track for those that love em.

Congrats to all those that took part in the comps and, of course, to the winners. A great display of dancing. It really looked like the competitors were enjoying themselves :)

Now feedback wouldnt be feedback without suggesting a possible improvement for next year. Mine would have to be the old faithful - freestyle time.
I unfortunately only got there at 3:30 :blush: due to my demanding daily tasks (sleeping). Between 3:30 and the break at 6ish there was a grand total of 3 freestyle tracks :what:
When the break came all but about 5 people left the venue so I couldnt even dance then :tears:
A whole 1 and a half hours of slow, chilled music and noone to dance it with. :sad:

All in all a great though day run by a great team. Bit more dance time and it will be delicious :yum:

Lynn
10th-October-2005, 05:53 PM
Wish I could have made it - Britroc was brilliant last year :) Maybe next time. :yeah:
Well done to everyone! :clap:

Jon Brett
10th-October-2005, 09:42 PM
Thank you everyone for your kind words about BRITROCK 2005.

The only negative comment was the floor being a tad too fast. We are looking at ways to sort this out for next year and are even thinking about changing venues if we can't find a solution.

In the meantime, I've posted a list of winners & photos on the web site (www.britrockcompetition.co.uk). Thank you to Beyton for doing those.

Jon x

Andy McGregor
10th-October-2005, 11:25 PM
The only negative comment was the floor being a tad too fast. We are looking at ways to sort this out for next year and are even thinking about changing venues if we can't find a solution.Just this evening Sue (my lovely wife :flower: ) said that if it's at the same venue she would attend purely as a spectator - she will not risk injury on that floor again! After all, it's only dancing and when you are a woman you can so easily be pushed off balance by a clumsy lead :mad:

The King Alfred Ballroom is just down the road, it has a fabulous floor and would be perfect for a competition the size that Britrock was on Saturday. However, it is far too small for the evening freestyle. There is no other venue in Brighton that is close to being suitable. The nearest suitable venue that I'm aware of is the Assembly Hall in Worthing which would be perfect for this size of event - and it might even be cheaper :clap:

Piglet
11th-October-2005, 08:31 AM
In the meantime, I've posted a list of winners & photos on the web site (www.britrockcompetition.co.uk).
Thank you for sharing the photos of the lovely winners with us. Now I can put some faces to names! Excellent!

Well done everyone - it sounds like it was a fabulous event!:flower:

Katie
11th-October-2005, 09:51 AM
Elegant? :rofl: I'm sorry Andy, but she danced like a horse! Everybody was saying it, God only knows how she got through the first heat, let alone to the final!

This particular lady that you are commenting on was at Jango last night, she was incredibly sweet and was telling me how she found it difficult to adapt from doing ballet, she spent most of the time watching, and speaking to me and another girl asking for advice on how to improve and improvise.

Bear in mind the forum is a small world and comments like this can get back to the person.

Sheepman
11th-October-2005, 01:32 PM
Bear in mind the forum is a small world... :yeah:
It's also worth noting that she was very surprised to go so far in the competition, I think this is only about the 4th time she has been to MJ.

I had a fabulous day, great music, wonderful dancers, excellent organisation. Of course I saved all my best dancing till after the competition :tears:
The floor held no surprises (it's always that fast) until I slid onto a sticky patch and stopped dead with plenty of momentum! :eek:

Greg

Paul F
11th-October-2005, 01:37 PM
The floor held no surprises (it's always that fast) until I slid onto a sticky patch and stopped dead with plenty of momentum! :eek:

Greg

I was warned before I got there and i STILL didnt make provisions :rolleyes: typical bloke hey :)

Credit to the team though saying that it will be improved or they will move :cheers: :cheers: Not sure if many organisers would be that decisive.

Minnie M
11th-October-2005, 03:35 PM
:yeah:
It's also worth noting that she was very surprised to go so far in the competition, I think this is only about the 4th time she has been to MJ.

Not her fault at all, she seemed like a very sweet girl (she looked really lovely in the flowing blue dress too) but what were the judges thing of :confused: when the likes of Mrs. SwingingBee and TiggsTours get knocked out in the first round and she, as a very new beginner gets to the finals - and before you ask, her orgininal partner was not an advance dancer and very basic she only got SimonR when they swopped around after the 2nd round

DavidB
11th-October-2005, 03:50 PM
Not sure I see the problem. Everyone keeps saying DWAS is supposed to be a fun competition, and she was definitely having fun. A lot of people in DWAS look like they hate every second of it.

So what if she was an absolute beginner. That is supposed to be the big advantage of this format. I only saw her in the final, and SimonR did an excellent job of dancing with her. Should he not get rewarded for that?

If you want a serious DWAS competition, then change the rules. There are loads of ways of doing this. Don't complain about the competitors. If you want it to stay a pure fun competition, then don't complain about any of the results, because that definitely isn't fun.

David

Andy McGregor
11th-October-2005, 04:42 PM
Bear in mind the forum is a small world and comments like this can get back to the person.:yeah:

Have some rep :flower:

Roger C
11th-October-2005, 04:44 PM
A lot of people in DWAS look like they hate every second of it.

David

Hi David,

I was a bit busy in DWAS so I didn't notice if a lot of people seemed to be hating every second of it, as I was having fun :wink: - Well, I'm sure that I was, I do hope that it look as if I was.

It was a fab day - nice to see that MJ is continuing to improve.

Roger C.

Minnie M
11th-October-2005, 04:47 PM
Not sure I see the problem. Everyone keeps saying DWAS is supposed to be a fun competition, and she was definitely having fun. A lot of people in DWAS look like they hate every second of it.

So what if she was an absolute beginner. That is supposed to be the big advantage of this format. I only saw her in the final, and SimonR did an excellent job of dancing with her. Should he not get rewarded for that?

If you want a serious DWAS competition, then change the rules. There are loads of ways of doing this. Don't complain about the competitors. If you want it to stay a pure fun competition, then don't complain about any of the results, because that definitely isn't fun.

David
:blush: woops - I'm in the dog house :sad:

Simon did do a good job in leading her :worthy: no problem there :flower: If he had been dancing with her through all the heats, I don't think we would be having this 'conversation'

Maybe she got extra brownie points for looking lovely and having fun - if that's the case, "Good on her" :clap: she did look very lovely and and had a lovely smile on her face the whole time :yeah:

The problem was with the judges NOT with the lady herself, just surprised she got so far

BTW IMO I don't think any competition is taken as fun, in the true sense - not even the DWAS, most people take it very seriously

TiggsTours
11th-October-2005, 04:49 PM
This particular lady that you are commenting on was at Jango last night, she was incredibly sweet and was telling me how she found it difficult to adapt from doing ballet, she spent most of the time watching, and speaking to me and another girl asking for advice on how to improve and improvise.

Bear in mind the forum is a small world and comments like this can get back to the person.
I'm sure she's lovely, but if everyone's concerned about people getting hurt feeling, what about the people who have been dancing for years, are FAR better than her, and don't get through because they don't want to show their knickers to the judges. They get to stand back afterwards and look at her dancing, and feel hurt that they got knocked out before her.

Gus
11th-October-2005, 05:07 PM
..... don't get through because they don't want to show their knickers to the judges. BRAVO ... you've managed to grossly insult the judges, the lady concerned, her partner and all the other competitors in one go. I herebye bestow upon you the highest award for (lack) of Forum Ettiquette ... the coveted ESG Ass-ine Donkey tale.

COME ON ... its not nice to express one's views on a competitor like that... you either accept judges results or you dont compete ... but you DON'T slag of other competitors ESPECIALY making such a slur ... sorry lass ... thats just not nice .... suggest you ask for the post to be deleted?

Dreadful Scathe
11th-October-2005, 05:25 PM
I'm sure she's lovely, but if everyone's concerned about people getting hurt feeling, what about the people who have been dancing for years, are FAR better than her, and don't get through because they don't want to show their knickers to the judges. They get to stand back afterwards and look at her dancing, and feel hurt that they got knocked out before her.
As DavidB said DWAS is a fun catagory, the judges look at lots of things, fun being one of them. They thought she was better than the other people. Others who got put out were NOT "FAR better than her", as far as the judges were concerned, which is all that matters, it being a judged competition :)

They should be ashamed really, being judged worse than a woman who dances like a horse. ;)

Mind you - whats wrong with dancing like a horse anyway ? :) Are we talking palimino or clydesdale ? Who wants to start the poll "Which horse are you? " :)

Lisa G
11th-October-2005, 05:28 PM
Many thanks to Britrock and Sarah for a great day!

Congratulations to all winners!... especially a big hug for all the other Open competitors :hug: and my other dance friends who might not have triumphed on the day.

I hope everyone enjoyed the day, even if some of you weren't smiling on the dance floor :sad: - dancing should always be fun even when you have knots in the stomache!

Thank you to Simon for being such a great partner... even if you did ask me if I wanted to practice the Monday after the competition :rofl:

Also big thanks to Nicole for being such great support :flower:

This win meant a lot to me after all the hard work Simon and I put in this year, especially as it was my local competition and I had many friends watching and supporting me. Thanks to everyone for their kind words :kiss:

Happy dancing... til next time

Lisa :clap:

Katie
11th-October-2005, 05:47 PM

You've missed my point. You are of course entitled to your opinion about results, who gets through and who doesn't, who shows their knickers and whatnot, but I was simply referring to your description of her dancing, you may think it but it is another thing to write it in on a public forum!:mad:

David Bailey
11th-October-2005, 05:50 PM
{ yet another argument about results and judging of a flipping competition }
Oh, look - an MJ competition, followed by a thread, followed by an argument. How novel, we haven't seen one of those for a while.

I will rep the first person who can find me a significant thread on the Forum, which discusses a competition, and yet managed to stay civil. "Significant" meaning more than 1 page of posting. And no, the Ozzie comp thread doesn't count, there was a bit of aerial bitchiness (OK, mainly by me, but it was there).

(MartinHarper is excluded by virtue of the fact that this is not a challenge for him)

Competitions lead to envy, envy leads to hate, hate leads to... etc.

I herebye bestow upon you the highest award for (lack) of Forum Ettiquette ... the coveted ESG Ass-ine Donkey tale.
Damnit, I spent a lot of time practicing for that award. :mad:

I demand to know details of the judging criteria you used - I strongly believe I should have at least got into the 2nd round. I've been posting like a horse for months now...:tears:

LMC
11th-October-2005, 05:53 PM
I demand to know details of the judging criteria you used - I strongly believe I should have at least got into the 2nd round. I've been posting like a horse for months now...:tears:

*whispers* I didn't say horse, David...

I wasn't there, but immediately jumped to the conclusion that the ballet training may have given her superb frame and style as well?

TT - sorry luv, but you're coming across as a sore loser. Take it from someone who is still bearing the scars of the Great Photo War and let it lie, hmmmm?

Katie
11th-October-2005, 05:54 PM
Btw, aside from all this, I had a wonderful day at Britroc, with lots of lovely dances and unexpected ones too :wink:

Thankyou to all the girlies that lent me outfits, shoes etc. You know who you are! :flower:

Well done to Lisa and Simon - thoroughly deserved, you were fab! :clap: :clap:

El Salsero Gringo
11th-October-2005, 05:54 PM
BRAVO ... you've managed to grossly insult the judges, the lady concerned, her partner and all the other competitors in one go. I herebye bestow upon you the highest award for (lack) of Forum Ettiquette ... the coveted ESG Ass-ine Donkey tale.Bugger. I'm going to have to try harder then.

Are there any photos of the knickers in question? I think if we're going to second guess the judges on this matter, we should at least have all the evidence in front of us.

(A whole award named after me? I'm dead chuffed.)

Andy McGregor
11th-October-2005, 06:34 PM
Are there any photos of the knickers in question?No photos are necessary as Sheepman and I suddenly developed a photographic memory during the course of Saturday afternoon :devil: :whistle:

.. and ESG can read our minds for a small fee :innocent:

ElaineB
11th-October-2005, 06:39 PM
Not sure I see the problem. Everyone keeps saying DWAS is supposed to be a fun competition, and she was definitely having fun. A lot of people in DWAS look like they every second of it.

David

Funny you should say that, because at Weston Super Mare, my first place would have gone to Mark James who also danced with an absolute beginner. She had four lessons and Mark treated her like she was a Princess. He smiled at her encouraged her and at no time did any moves that took her off balance. Their dancing was very basic, but Mark got out of her what she could give. Unfortunately though, they didn't get through the first round, but we gave him a 'toast' for being so Gentlemanly with her!

Elaine

ElaineB
11th-October-2005, 06:41 PM
Oh, look - an MJ competition, followed by a thread, followed by an argument. How novel, we haven't seen one of those for a while.

I will rep the first person who can find me a significant thread on the Forum, which discusses a competition, and yet managed to stay civil. "Significant" meaning more than 1 page of posting. And no, the Ozzie comp thread doesn't count, there was a bit of aerial bitchiness (OK, mainly by me, but it was there).

(MartinHarper is excluded by virtue of the fact that this is not a challenge for him)

Competitions lead to envy, envy leads to , leads to... etc.

Damnit, I spent a lot of time practicing for that award. :mad:

I thought this one started with an argument as well? :whistle: Oh no, that was the other Brit rock thread - oops! (Gets on her horse and gallops off into the distance!)

Elaine

Swinging bee
11th-October-2005, 08:16 PM
I was just wondering......Of all the super dancers that were placed in this excellent competition.. What was the proportion of "Ceroc "dancers against the "independents" and does this reflect in the standard of dancing as to where they learnt their craft?....

jockey
11th-October-2005, 08:49 PM
My partner was not able to make the trip this year so regrettably I couldnt compete; congratulations to all those who did well.
A special well done to Simon and Lisa. :cheers:

jockey
11th-October-2005, 09:09 PM
Not her fault at all, she seemed like a very sweet girl (she looked really lovely in the flowing blue dress too) but what were the judges thing of :confused: when the likes of Mrs. SwingingBee and TiggsTours get knocked out in the first round and she, as a very new beginner gets to the finals - and before you ask, her orgininal partner was not an advance dancer and very basic she only got SimonR when they swopped around after the 2nd round
Does anyone know if this young lady in question is fairly local (Eastbourne area?). The reason I ask is that I danced with a complete beginner at Hove Town Hall about 6 months ago and when I asked if she danced any other dance she said she did ballet. By the way, she was tremendous. I wonder if it was the same girl....(about 16 or 17, id guess)

Keith
12th-October-2005, 12:39 AM
No a little older than 16.
I had a couple of dances with her & she is one of the sweetest girls you could wish to meet.
She said she had only been 3 or 4 times prior, but loved jive & the people :blush: Not sure what she may think now.

Andy McGregor
12th-October-2005, 01:15 AM
She said she had only been 3 or 4 times prior, but loved jive & the people :blush: Not sure what she may think now.Let's hope she's never heard of the Scottish Ceroc Forum :tears:

I had a dance with her and, apart from her footwork looking a bit hesitant with too many steps to each beat, she was a lovely dancer and followed my lead perfectly. And she helped me with a very dramatic finish too :flower:

TiggsTours
12th-October-2005, 09:38 AM
I was wrong to say what I said on a public forum, and I apologise for any hurt that I have caused.

I was told that the lady in question has only had 2 dance lessons, and I do feel that, for that short amount of time dancing, she was very good. I do stand by the fact that she should not have been in the final, and it was unfair to a number of people that should have done better, and it does make me question the judging of the competition.

I haven't read any responses to this at all, so I don't know what's been said, but I have thought about this since, and I was wrong, and I apologise. I personally feel that I would not have got any further anyway, my partner was very good, but our styles did not complement each other, I feel we both would have done far better with different partners. I do know a number of other people who did deserve to do much better, and do also believe that I, with the partner I had, deserved to do better than the lady in question.

I was under the impression that this was a dance competition, not a fashion show, beauty contest or popularity contest, so I do find it amazing that a total beginner should make the final, when so many good dancers were knocked out in earlier heats. I feel that this is totally unfair, and hurtful, to those people.

Jon Brett
12th-October-2005, 11:01 AM
Let's hope she's never heard of the Scottish Ceroc Forum
In life, most conversations do drift around a bit. The thing to remember about these posts (and emails that appear on the news from time to time) are that, unlike normal conversations, they are written down forever for all to see. And I expect it's just a matter of time before the "wrong" person sees it or hears about it.

I admit I did not study *every* competitor in detail. I suspect that most, if not all, of the spectators didn't either. But the judges Nina Daines (Chief Judge), Nigel Anderson, Angelina Murphey, Viktor Andeke and Simon Borland did. Are any of you suggesting that these people don't know what they're talking about?

There's a lot of different criteria to consider when judging competitors at a dance competition. If you want to know how they came to their decisions, surely you should ask them and not other Forum Members who can only speculate.

TiggsTours
12th-October-2005, 11:23 AM
I agree, and I know someone who did speak to Nigel & Nina about this, and I don't understand, after hearing their response, why she was in the final. I also spoke directly to her partner in the competition, and he doesn't understand why she got through either. As I said, for 2 lessons, she was fabulous, and given time I'm sure she will be fantastic, but compared to other people in the competition who are not beginners, she did not deserve the placing.

I had a number of conversations with a number of different people who all noticed her very easily, and were all just as amazed. None of us were "studying" the dancers to see who should or shouldn't ge through, and yet we all noticed, so surely the judges who were "studying" them, should have done.

This in no means takes away from the fact she is fantastic for the length of time she has been dancing, and she should feel really good about that, but the judges decision takes away vastly from the number of people who have been dancing for years and were knocked out in earlier rounds. What the judges have inadvertantly said to them is "you are not as good as this girl who's only had 2 lessons in her life", yet nobody seems at all concerned with how much this will have damaged their feelings, and their self-esteem.

LMC
12th-October-2005, 11:29 AM
... What the judges have inadvertantly said to them is "you are not as good as this girl who's only had 2 lessons in her life", yet nobody seems at all concerned with how much this will have damaged their feelings, and their self-esteem.
(my emphasis)

If the cap fits.

It was a DWAS Tiggs. Why was it so important to you that you have apparently spent some time going on about it in real life as well as on forum?

All this backbiting just reinforces my lack of ambition to ever participate in any competition*. Shame.

*not that I'd ever be good enough anyway :devil:

El Salsero Gringo
12th-October-2005, 11:31 AM
Speaking as a Donkey, I think we should invite the horse (sorry, I mean lady) in question onto the Forum to hear her comments.

Edit: I propose the usename: "Dancing Horse"

wicked blue
12th-October-2005, 12:12 PM
Sounds like i missed a great weekend! :sad: Never mind there's next year!!

Congratulations to all those that were placed and won. :clap:

Jon Brett
12th-October-2005, 12:23 PM
Sounds like i missed a great weekend! :sad: Never mind there's next year!!

Congratulations to all those that were placed and won. :clap:

That's the spirit ! :cheers:

David Bailey
12th-October-2005, 12:48 PM
All this backbiting just reinforces my lack of ambition to ever participate in any competition*.
Excellent. That's 1 down, 1,600+ to go.

Hey, a man's gotta have a dream, you know.

ChrisA
12th-October-2005, 12:51 PM
All this backbiting just reinforces my lack of ambition to ever participate in any competition*. Shame.

In defence of Tigg, I don't think it's fair to escalate this to "backbiting". And she's apologised, so let's leave it.

She'd hardly be the first person on here to forget that it's a public forum and stick foot in mouth - and not everyone is as quick to come clean with a handsome apology, either.

There is another issue here, and that is, the difference in perspective between those that compete and those that don't.

Those that do, invest a great deal of emotional energy into doing the very best they can do. And even in DWAS, particularly once you get through a couple of rounds, the "wanting to do their very best" gets stronger and stronger. So I think it's pretty natural to want things to be judged fairly, subjective though "fairly" inevitably is.

Those that don't, don't understand how things can be taken as seriously as they are - and yet plenty of them have enough of a (subjective) sense of fairness to go on at great length about hotshots, how many dances they get when A.N.Other appears to hog the better dancers, etc, etc.

It's because people's sense of fairness always seems stronger when the subject is something that's important to them. So cut people a little slack, maybe... :flower:

Katie
12th-October-2005, 01:00 PM
I haven't read any responses to this at all, so I don't know what's been said,

It might help if you did read what others have written, especially DavidB who emphasised that DWAS is mainly about fun and the lady in question certainly looked like she was having fun!! :clap: Just because one is good dancer, that is not a guarantee for success in DWAS. The judges only have seconds to look at every couple, whereas friends that our cheering for their favourites tend to be fixated on them and cannot, IMO, be truly objective.

ElaineB
12th-October-2005, 01:01 PM
In defence of Tigg, I don't think it's fair to escalate this to "backbiting". And she's apologised, so let's leave it.

She'd hardly be the first person on here to forget that it's a public forum and stick foot in mouth - and not everyone is as quick to come clean with a handsome apology, either.

It's because people's sense of fairness always seems stronger when the subject is something that's important to them. So cut people a little slack, maybe... :flower:

And can we please remember that this competition was well run, brilliant music, fun crew, lovely touches re melon :D , the complaints about the floor listened to instantly, with determination to do something about it and lastly, excellent dancers!

Elaine

Katie
12th-October-2005, 01:02 PM
So cut people a little slack, maybe... :flower:

Sure, enough said from me! :flower:

marty_baby
12th-October-2005, 03:07 PM
Everyone kissed and made up? thank gawd for that! :hug:

...I'd just like to add:

A big thanks to the Guys on the sidelines who helped me look after Sharon when she came down with cramp. I didn't say thank you properly on the day, so would like to say so now:
Nick - For springing up to assist me walking Sharon off - and giving up his seat for her to sit down on etc - you are a star! :nice:
Ali - for the massaging and advice and support on what to do.... :hug:
The rest of the guys there - nice nice people! massive kudos to all of you! :nice:

The Judges were fantastic!
* No one here has questioned their judging of the "serious" competitions.
* Reality call - Their Credentials are impeccable - They know what they are talking about and Judging - end of

* They also were really friendly and open people. They are all very nice and supportive to myself and Sharon, when we bombed out of the finals. I also had the pleasure of dancing with Angelina (didn't realise it until we got out on the floor) Wow - she rocks! :nice:

The Rock Bottoms crew did a fantastic job IMHO! I've gone to a few of their weekenders, and they always deliver a great dance event.

I am sure next year they will get the floor sorted out.
THe Brighton/Hove competition is safe in their hands

Right thats my lot.
(I've still got to thank all the bristol crowd for helping me and Sharon prep for the Competition - but I won't bore you all here - I'll bore the bristol lot on our local Bristol web site :rofl: )

All the Best Guys
Martin
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Minnie M
12th-October-2005, 03:18 PM
How about HOVE and Hove Town Hall - wot a great place to have a competition :clap: easy and cheap parking, restraurants and shops on the doorstep... seafront walks in the morning for those staying over, cafes and take-aways till the early hours and all night if you know where they are :whistle: AND the locals are such lovely :worthy: people :yeah:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Andy McGregor
12th-October-2005, 08:09 PM
AND the locals are such lovely :worthy: people :yeah:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:Some of us are :wink: Don't forget, Tiggs Tours is a local (currently lured to the bright lights of London) and usually nice and friendly with everyone with a ready smile and a quick wit - not to mention being agreat dancer and a very attractive blonde lady - if you like that sort of thing :whistle:

Easter Bunny
12th-October-2005, 09:25 PM
Well done to all competitors, finalists and winners. Great to hear Simon and Lisa won the open, a fantastic selection of competitors (esp. Keith and Victoria - still a dream to watch).

So p'd off I didn't get to see the finals or have any freestyle after getting wisked away by ambulance following dancing the Advanced. (Knew I shouldn't have entered the Advanced!).:tears:

Big thanks to all the crew for a brilliantly organised event :worthy: (shame about the floor again this year - even faster than ever).

Special thanks to the 2 crew who ministered to me on the veranda outside and the First Aid Lady (sorry head still fuzzy and can't remember her name) and Wally who looked after me in the first aid room and called the ambulance.:kiss:
HEVMATE - can you pass my thanks on to the venue staff for me.

Not forgetting the Bristol crowd, who did us proud bringing home the medals again, and for everyone's concerns over my state of health on the day. Special thanks to Janice for coming in the ambulance and to Jenni for staying at the hospital with me.:kiss:

Plan to get plenty of rest before Brighton next year so I can enjoy every minute of it as it's such a great atmosphere.

x Lesley

marty_baby
12th-October-2005, 10:52 PM
Hiya Lesley,

Really glad you are ok! coming back next year huh? Thats the spirit!

The first time I guessed something was seriously wrong, was when we all saw Jenni distraught and in tears! She came back later tho and did a composed storming set with her partner Danny - you girls are made of sterner stuff than us "world stops with colds" blokes!

Kinda puts Cramps and DWAS into perspective huh?

All the best gorgeous!
Martin

ElaineB
13th-October-2005, 07:26 AM
Hiya Lesley,

Really glad you are ok! coming back next year huh? Thats the spirit!

The first time I guessed something was seriously wrong, was when we all saw Jenni distraught and in tears! She came back later tho and did a composed storming set with her partner Danny - you girls are made of sterner stuff than us "world stops with colds" blokes!

Kinda puts Cramps and DWAS into perspective huh?

All the best gorgeous!
Martin

So glad you are feeling better Lesley!

Elaine
:hug: :kiss: :hug:

Lou
13th-October-2005, 07:54 AM
So glad you are feeling better Lesley!
:yeah: :hug:

TiggsTours
13th-October-2005, 09:34 AM
It might help if you did read what others have written, especially DavidB who emphasised that DWAS is mainly about fun and the lady in question certainly looked like she was having fun!! :clap: Just because one is good dancer, that is not a guarantee for success in DWAS. The judges only have seconds to look at every couple, whereas friends that our cheering for their favourites tend to be fixated on them and cannot, IMO, be truly objective.
The reason I mentioned that I had not read everyone's comments, is because I wanted people to know that what I was saying was as a result of me thinking about it, not as a result of what was being said. I knew I'd be attacked for my comment, because I deserved it. I did read everything straight afterwards. I agree, DWAS is about fun, but there were plenty of very good dancers having fun who did not get through, many of them I didn't know, in fact, I only knew one other female dancer, and one other male dancer, and I couldn't say if either was in a round with the lady at any point, so you could hardly say I was fixated on anyone!

I stand by my belief that the lady should not have made the final, and if all the other people I spoke to on the day who were saying EXACTLY the same thing do not wish to stand up and be counted, that is their choice.

Dreadful Scathe
13th-October-2005, 01:01 PM
Apologies for extending the complaints part of this thread, but people are having a go at the Britroc judges and it doesnt seem fair.

This in no means takes away from the fact she is fantastic for the length of time she has been dancing, and she should feel really good about that, but the judges decision takes away vastly from the number of people who have been dancing for years and were knocked out in earlier rounds.

Why does it? If theyd been better, if they'd maybe smiled more, if a judge had been looking when they did something impressive, if ... lots of things had happened, they would have got through. A judging decision does not take anything away from other competitors. You can only do your best and hope the judges like it. The slight here is on the Britrock judges - they are somehow, for reasons only known to them, ignoring the good dancers?

What the judges have inadvertantly said to them is "you are not as good as this girl who's only had 2 lessons in her life", yet nobody seems at all concerned with how much this will have damaged their feelings, and their self-esteem.

I dont think theres anything inadvertant about it, thats exactly what they're saying. You enter a competition and try your best, thats all you can do. Sometimes you don't get anywhere but you surely give it up as a bad idea or come back next time and do better. I remember Brady Rogers, a versatile dancer who has won the intermediate at Britrock went out in the first round of the intermediate in Blackpool. To this day, I've yet to hear him moaning about it! Even if judges do make mistakes, and of course they always do, they're only human - thats life and thats competitions.

Simon
13th-October-2005, 01:39 PM
:yeah: :hug:
:yeah: Good to hear that you've recovered, Lesley.

Hope to see you soon,

xxx

Tor
13th-October-2005, 01:41 PM
Wow you lot chat quite a bit - I never realised.
Just wanted to update you about the floor problem. I have already contacted the Hove Center and given them a bit of an ear full about the, how should I put it? lethal surface. They have got "Colin" the cleaner to contact me, when he is back from holiday, to give me a break down of their cleaning products, when they polished etc. From this we will (she says determindly) sort it out for next year. We will also come armed with professional dance products that make it less slippery or more slippery (if needed).

Russell Saxby
13th-October-2005, 01:59 PM
Let's face it dance with a stranger is a bit hit and miss.

I wonder how many couples that get through to the final are actual strangers who have never danced with eachother before. I know one couple that danced week in week out got drawn together at the Ceroc champs a few years back and got placed.

If two advanced dancers get pulled together and two beginners get pulled together then of course the likelihood is that the advanced couple will dance better, but shouldn't the judges be looking beyond this?? What if the beginner couple and danced their best possible dance together?

SOunds like a handicap system is required - but a nightmare to administer I expect.

I wasn't at this competition, and have not read this thread all the way through. Am I right in thinking partners get mixed up betweens rounds, or was that another comp?

Russell

Jon Brett
13th-October-2005, 02:10 PM
I wasn't at this competition, and have not read this thread all the way through. Am I right in thinking partners get mixed up betweens rounds, or was that another comp?

In the BRITROCK competition, the dancers were partnered up randomly at the start & then swapped around before the Semis to make it a true Dance With A Stranger.

Apart from making it a fairer system, practising all day with your starting partner wouldn't help so this helped with the freestyles too - everyone wasn't trying to dance with their one DWAS partner.

I do not believe that Ceroc mix up their couples in this way and I don't remember it happening at Blackpool either.

TiggsTours
13th-October-2005, 02:39 PM
In the BRITROCK competition, the dancers were partnered up randomly at the start & then swapped around before the Semis to make it a true Dance With A Stranger.

Apart from making it a fairer system, practising all day with your starting partner wouldn't help so this helped with the freestyles too - everyone wasn't trying to dance with their one DWAS partner.

I do not believe that Ceroc mix up their couples in this way and I don't remember it happening at Blackpool either.
The best I've ever seen, which has been mentioned a number of times on other threads, is the way Aussie Ceroc do things. They have 2 categories of DWAS, Beginners & Advanced, they are partnered up then put into a circle, they then dance like a roueda (sorry, don't know how its spelt), which basically means they dance a few bars with one partner, then they all circle on (on a command) one partner. Everybody dances with everybody, and everyone gets marked individually. By far the best I've ever seen.

I would just like to say how brilliant the organisation on the day was, it pretty much stayed on time all day, the music was excellent, and Hev was fantastic (and looked gorgeous, in both outfits). Personally, I liked the floor, and the standard was really high.

Minnie M
13th-October-2005, 03:22 PM
Wow you lot chat quite a bit - I never realised.
Just wanted to update you about the floor problem. I have already contacted the Hove Center and given them a bit of an ear full about the, how should I put it? lethal surface. They have got "Colin" the cleaner to contact me, when he is back from holiday, to give me a break down of their cleaning products, when they polished etc. From this we will (she says determindly) sort it out for next year. We will also come armed with professional dance products that make it less slippery or more slippery (if needed).

:yeah: great :clap: that's why we all love the Rock Botts team, ACTION NOT WORDS :worthy:

BTW being a local I knew what the floor would be like and wore the right shoes for it and love every minute of sliding about :clap: Mind you it was very sticky around the sides, not normally like that :tears:

Next year, I suggest all competitors take 2 pair of shoes with them, one for a fast floor just in case - the floor has always been very fast, in fact this year IMHO it was a slighty better in the centre although as I have said very sticky around the edges

Mr Cool
15th-October-2005, 04:26 PM
I stand by my belief that the lady should not have made the final, and if all the other people I spoke to on the day who were saying EXACTLY the same thing do not wish to stand up and be counted, that is their choice.[/QUOTE]

Well said I wasnt there but I have heard first hand reports from the grass roots.
I believe that real dancing is lead and follow and although choreographed routines are interesting and skill full.
It is the ability of a dancer to dance with a range of partners with style and skill that sets apart the best dancers.
That is why i do not understand why people say DWAS is just for fun.
DWAS is the real essence of dance and should be the top category of any dance competition. Time after time the judging is flawed they simply go for the best known teacher or dancer .
I think this very sad.
I would like to see a big competition for best male and femail dancer each person dancing with a new partner every round similar to the Aussie system with a balanced set of judges. :waycool: :waycool: :waycool:

David Franklin
16th-October-2005, 09:57 AM
Next year, I suggest all competitors take 2 pair of shoes with them, one for a fast floor just in case - the floor has always been very fast, in fact this year IMHO it was a slighty better in the centre although as I have said very sticky around the edgesSince one time being asked to perform on a floor slippery enough that it was difficult walking, I have always brought a pair of normal street trainers as a "last resort" fallback pair if doing a major comp or demo.

But I think it must have been worse this year than last - although we were prewarned last year about the Britroc floor, we didn't have any trouble - Bryony even decided to wear her normal (fast!) leather soled shoes rather than suede. Whereas this year I've heard many people saying they had problems, or had to curtail some of their higher risk moves.