PDA

View Full Version : Time for a WCS monthly freestyle?

Paul F
8th-October-2005, 03:25 AM
After missing out on the West Coast Swing T-jive the other week I started thinking how great it would be to have a monthly freestyle to look forward to.

Possibly Kent House or maybe a different venue - larger perhaps?
Possibly more t-dances or perhaps even a Friday/Saturday WCS freestyle?

I think we should all email Cat + co every 10 minutes until she agrees to put on some more :D :devil:

I guess the main questions are:
Where would these freestyles be held?
Is there the base of dancers to fill it each month?
T-dance or big freestyle?

I would really love to see BOTH a t-dance and a freestyle a month but Im hoping for a bit too much there. I just get a bit dissapointed now when I go to normal MJ freestyle nights with the uninteresting music.

How about maybe even a Jango monthly freestyle on top of the t-dance? Again, maybe on a friday or saturday for those that have to travel.
Ok, im really hoping here but Im desperate for more nights :blush:

Would anyone be interested - sign here :)

Minnie M
8th-October-2005, 08:36 AM
After missing out on the West Coast Swing T-jive the other week I started thinking how great it would be to have a monthly freestyle to look forward to.

I think we should all email Cat + co every 10 minutes until she agrees to put on some more :D :devil:

I would really love to see BOTH a t-dance and a freestyle a month but Im hoping for a bit too much there. I just get a bit dissapointed now when I go to normal MJ freestyle nights with the uninteresting music.

How about maybe even a Jango monthly freestyle on top of the t-dance? Again, maybe on a friday or saturday for those that have to travel.

You don't really need a dedicated evening for freestyle, PLEASE .... we have so many choices for weekend dances and our DJs are getting so much better, it would only need a way of getting people together, that shouldn't be too hard, what with the WCS Yahoo group. classes and word of mouth :flower:

El Salsero Gringo
8th-October-2005, 10:16 AM

Good idea. Start one!

Paul F
8th-October-2005, 10:48 AM
Good idea. Start one!

I was kind of hoping that someone else would :whistle: I know, I know - very lazy :blush:
The only way they would though is to hear that there is demand for one.

Minnie, I have to wholeheartedly disagree with you Im afraid. :sad:

I couldnt name one MJ freestyle that I have been to in the last 6 months were I found the music challenging, interesting or open to interpretation. To say our DJs are getting better is absolutely right but they are bound to one common factor - they have to play MJ music for the majority.

Take Ashtons last night. Busy venue and well run.
The Djs there I have loads of respect for as they are some of the finest DJs on the MJ circuit. However they are still bound to play the 'usual' stuff with the occasional different track. :tears: :tears:

At 12:45 last night we were treated to a spookily familiar Tom Jones track :tears: :tears:
I can only imagine what would happen if they started playing tracks like Lemar-Dont give up. there would be a mass exodus.

You only need to read the feedback form Jango and the WCS nights in general to see that some people do want nights like this. The purpose of this thread is to gauge how many people would want a regular Friday or Saturday night a month.
At present we only have 1 Sunday a month which is often difficult for a lot of people to get to.

All I want is for people to have the opportunity to experience nights like this. If there ARE nights out there like this I would very very much like to hear about them :drool: Unfortunately I dont think there are :sad:

Minnie M
8th-October-2005, 11:26 AM
What I would like to see (and I am working on it) are more competant WCS teachers, therefore we can spread the teaching accross the country.

When we have more teachers, we will have more classes and workshops, thus increasing the number of new REGULAR dancers - when this happens, I would think that the DJs will naturally play more WCS type music.

I love WCS and have been doing it for quite a while, but feel I have not progressed since first learning it as I have had very little practice. It would be so nice (and I think better) if we could intergrate it with our MJ evening. True we need the music to do that :sad: but surely that would be the easier method for the time being :flower:

Educate our DJs :yeah: Greg is brilliant and possible our 'southern master' of WCS choons, but we have quite a few others who are really good too :clap: darn sarf.

Can't talk about the midlands etc.

In Scotland you have Dance Demon :worthy: :worthy: who definitely knows his stuff, Tiggerbabe :worthy: and Franck :worthy: + I am sure other great DJs - I am sure if the floor requested this type of music they would accommodate :yeah:

Extra Bit:

I couldnt name one MJ freestyle that I have been to in the last 6 months were I found the music challenging, interesting or open to interpretation

The trouble is Paul, the WCS crowd are very much the minority, a good DJ will play mainly what the floor appears to want :tears:

I simpathise (sp?) entirely - I love the Jango + T-Jive music and am also fed up with all the pop, thumpy stuff (until the above happens - which I hope it does, we have to seek out these special events and make do with the others)

Lynn
8th-October-2005, 11:36 AM
What I would like to see (and I am working on it) are more competant WCS teachers, therefore we can spread the teaching across the country. Or countries...

(*Sigh* why are the 3 dances* I want to learn and dance the ones that aren't really on the dance scene in Belfast :tears: )

*MJ, WCS and Arg Tango btw

Minnie M
8th-October-2005, 11:40 AM
Or countries...

(*Sigh* why are the 3 dances* I want to learn and dance the ones that aren't really on the dance scene in Belfast :tears: )

*MJ, WCS and Arg Tango btw

Sorry Lynn - definitely 'countries' :blush:

El Salsero Gringo
8th-October-2005, 11:45 AM
When we have more teachers, we will have more classes and workshops, thus increasing the number of new REGULAR dancers - when this happens, I would think that the DJs will naturally play more WCS type music.

I love WCS and have been doing it for quite a while, but feel I have not progressed since first learning it as I have had very little practice. It would be so nice (and I think better) if we could intergrate it with our MJ evening. True we need the music to do that :sad: but surely that would be the easier method for the time being :flower: I think Paul's right; seeing that most MJ freestyles (around here, London, at any rate, I think it's all except BFFF) are run by Ceroc franchises, I don't think it's likely they're ever going to be willing or able to integrate WCS because they don't teach it.

Paul: I don't think life is as simple as waiting to hear a demand for something on the Ceroc Scotland Forum and so being assured that a hundred or more dancers will turn up. You've been to Cat's class, which is about as widely circulated an event as any in WCS, so you have a rough idea for how many and who the WCS enthusiasts are, and who amongst them are on the Forum.

Just be brave, and set one up!

Minnie M
8th-October-2005, 11:49 AM
I think Paul's right; seeing that most MJ freestyles (around here, London, at any rate, I think it's all except BFFF) are run by Ceroc franchises, I don't think it's likely they're ever going to be willing or able to integrate WCS because they don't teach it.

Hmm..... Who runs WEEKLY West Coast Swing Classes in Farnham and Surbiton :whistle: and who brought Sarah & Kyle from the US to us last weekend :really:

(sorry just re-read your post - you did say 'think' :blush: have re-edited by post)

David Bailey
8th-October-2005, 12:09 PM
Take Ashtons last night. Busy venue and well run.
The Djs there I have loads of respect for as they are some of the finest DJs on the MJ circuit. However they are still bound to play the 'usual' stuff with the occasional different track. :tears: :tears:
You only need to read the feedback form Jango and the WCS nights in general to see that some people do want nights like this.
The simple and hard-headed answer, from a "is it viable" perspective, is to compare the numbers going to Jango and to other venues like Ashtons or Hammermith.

I understand Jango is small-but-perfectly-formed (30 people on average?), whereas Ashtons and Hammersmith typically have several hundred. So the demand is low for this sort of thing, in terms of numbers - albeit high in whinge-level... :whistle:

Therefore, the choice of venues and facilities you can look at will all be on a limited budget.

And unfortunately, the people you want to attract are all inconveniently scattered around, even in London, so the amount of centrally-located good facilities available on a tight budget are... well, almost none.

Also, don't confuse "demand on the Forum" with "demand in the real world"

I'm not trying to put you off, but you've got to be realistic enough to realise that this is risky, business-wise, and is more a labour of love than anything else - again, like Jango; I can't imagine the organisers are making vast sums from that.

Minnie M
8th-October-2005, 12:15 PM
The simple and hard-headed answer, from a "is it viable" perspective, is to compare the numbers going to Jango and to other venues like Ashtons or Hammermith.

I understand Jango is small-but-perfectly-formed (30 people on average?), whereas Ashtons and Hammersmith typically have several hundred. So the demand is low for this sort of thing, in terms of numbers - albeit high in whinge-level... :whistle:

Therefore, the choice of venues and facilities you can look at will all be on a limited budget.

And unfortunately, the people you want to attract are all inconveniently scattered around, even in London, so the amount of centrally-located good facilities available on a tight budget are... well, almost none.

I'm not trying to put you off, but you've got to be realistic enough to realise that this is risky, business-wise, and is more a labour of love than anything else - again, like Jango; I can't imagine the organisers are making vast sums from that.

Thanks David, that is exactly what I was trying to say - the demand is just not large enough at present. Maybe quarterly extravaganza would be an idea :clap: that would give time to group all experienced and the newly trained WCS dancers - could make it a Seasonal Ball :waycool:

El Salsero Gringo
8th-October-2005, 12:19 PM
Hmm..... Who runs WEEKLY West Coast Swing Classes in Farnham and Surbiton :whistle: and who brought Sarah & Kyle from the US to us last weekend :really:

(sorry just re-read your post - you did say 'think' :blush: have re-edited by post)I don't actually know Minnie, I'm sorry, I'm not as well connected as you (my turn to blush). I presume you mean it's a Ceroc franchise - which is great.

Thinking about who runs the big London Ceroc freestyles - the Ceroc London franchise from head office, Ceroc Metro, Greenwich, and so on - I find it difficult to see them taking up WCS as part of the litany. Probably that's just a failure of imagination on my part. Mike and Linda have semi-integrated some Ballroom into their freestyles at Ashtons and Guinness (7:30 - 8:30 pm is Ballroom and Latin tracks) because they were running a Ballroom class earllier this year so there is a precedent.

Minnie M
8th-October-2005, 12:26 PM
I don't actually know Minnie, I'm sorry, I'm not as well connected as you (my turn to blush). I presume you mean it's a Ceroc franchise - which is great.

Thinking about who runs the big London Ceroc freestyles - the Ceroc London franchise from head office, Ceroc Metro, Greenwich, and so on - I find it difficult to see them taking up WCS as part of the litany. Probably that's just a failure of imagination on my part. Mike and Linda have semi-integrated some Ballroom into their freestyles at Ashtons and Guinness (7:30 - 8:30 pm is Ballroom and Latin tracks) because they were running a Ballroom class earllier this year so there is a precedent.

Ceroc Surrey (Annalisa Martin), are the inovators, with the help of Ceroc Plus (Simon White) where you can have hip hop and lindy classes, so the good news is that Mike is open to giving franchisees the opportunity to be flexible.:clap:

BTW Linda & Mike were at Rebel Yell (run by Ceroc Surrey) at the weekend (I assume because of the announcement of Storm) however, they saw the "completely non modern jive" cabaret and I am sure they were impressed..... so ..... who knows what will come next :cool:

El Salsero Gringo
8th-October-2005, 12:36 PM
Ceroc Surrey (Annalisa Martin), are the inovators, with the help of Ceroc Plus (Simon White) where you can have hip hop and lindy classes, so the good news is that Mike is open to giving franchisees the opportunity to be flexible.:clap:

BTW Linda & Mike were at Rebel Yell (run by Ceroc Surrey) at the weekend (I assume because of the announcement of Storm) however, they saw the "completely non modern jive" cabaret and I am sure they were impressed..... so ..... who knows what will come next :cool:So perhaps we should be emailing Mike and Linda to put on WCS classes at Ashtons.

On the other hand, I can hear the moaning starting already, from some quarters, can't you? "Ceroc does WCS? Oh no! They'll dumb it down and make it accessible; they can't possibly mean to teach it properly.")

Paul F
8th-October-2005, 12:46 PM
The simple and hard-headed answer, from a "is it viable" perspective,

I completely understand what you and Minnie are saying. I would never propose that a positive feedback on the forum would make for good numbers in a venue. The people on here are a small minority.

I cant help but think the demand for this IS here but on a small scale. People travel for Jango (approx 60-70 people Im guessing at the last one and similar numbers at the WCS t-jive). This was on a Sunday afternoon.
It all comes down to cost of venues at the end of the day but I wasnt thinking of a 200-300 capacity venue. Perhaps something slightly larger than Kent House. 100 capacity. Maybe even a fitness studio.
Yes it will be expensive but I would be confident of attracting 80+ once a month. Even if its just by word of mouth!

Is it still a bad idea ? :blush: :blush:

One of the reasons I have stopped a number of styles I have gone into in the past is purely because there just wasnt the opportunity to practice.
It may not be heaving with people but I would certainly want to go to a venue where I know I am going to have to think ! :nice:

Paul F
8th-October-2005, 12:47 PM
So perhaps we should be emailing Mike and Linda to put on WCS classes at Ashtons.

On the other hand, I can hear the moaning starting already, from some quarters, can't you? "Ceroc does WCS? Oh no! They'll dumb it down and make it accessible; they can't possibly mean to teach it properly.")

Wow :what: WCS at Ashtons. I would pay for that :waycool:

David Bailey
8th-October-2005, 12:49 PM
Thanks David, that is exactly what I was trying to say - the demand is just not large enough at present.
Well, arguing against myself (!), I don't know for a fact that the demand is low. It may well be; on the other hand, it may also take off, given an impetus.

It's a risk, but if WCS is indeed getting more popular, at some point someone will take that risk, and they may be in an enviable position (business-wise) if it takes off, getting in at the ground floor of a new dance craze.

As you suggest, one lower-risk option is once-off events, see how they go, but even these will take a lot of organisation (probably almost as much as running a regular event).

David the Pessimist

El Salsero Gringo
8th-October-2005, 12:50 PM
Yes it will be expensive but I would be confident of attracting 80+ once a month. Even if its just by word of mouth!Excellent. Then you are all set to draw up a budget, and start looking for a venue.

No - it's a terrific idea. Go to work!

David Franklin
8th-October-2005, 01:02 PM
So perhaps we should be emailing Mike and Linda to put on WCS classes at Ashtons.

On the other hand, I can hear the moaning starting already, from some quarters, can't you? "Ceroc does WCS? Oh no! They'll dumb it down and make it accessible; they can't possibly mean to teach it properly.")Actually, judging from nosequins, I'm sure Mike and Linda would bring in experienced teachers and make a good job of it.

For that matter, if Mike and Linda can steal from WCS, dumb it down and make it accessible to MJvers, I think that would be great. I'd probably actually prefer the result to WCS. It's just if the fundamentals are different (count, etc), I don't want them to call it WCS - it's confusing and unhelpful, and smacks of marketese...

David Bailey
8th-October-2005, 01:15 PM
I don't want them to call it WCS - it's confusing and unhelpful, and smacks of marketese...
Oh, I'm sure Ceroc would never use marketese to steal street cred from other dances, so you've no need to worry on that score.

( "The style of dance taught at a CEROC class is a fusion of Jive & Salsa."... :whistle: )

El Salsero Gringo
8th-October-2005, 01:21 PM
Actually, judging from nosequins, I'm sure Mike and Linda would bring in experienced teachers and make a good job of it.I agree.

For that matter, if Mike and Linda can steal from WCS, dumb it down and make it accessible to MJvers, I think that would be great. I'd probably actually prefer the result to WCS....but I'm not sure about that bit.

ducasi
8th-October-2005, 02:09 PM
I couldnt name one MJ freestyle that I have been to in the last 6 months were I found the music challenging, interesting or open to interpretation. To say our DJs are getting better is absolutely right but they are bound to one common factor - they have to play MJ music for the majority. Is the implication here that WCS freestyles will automatically have music that's challenging, interesting and open to interpretation?

Or is it because WCS is exclusive, and so the music can be aimed at the minority instead?

I really don't understand why in the whole of London there's not somebody willing to meet your musical needs. If it can't happen in London, what hope does the rest of the MJ world have?

(I'd also like to point out that every Ceroc Scotland event I've been to, I, personally, have found the music to be at times challenging, interesting and open to interpretation, though not always to my taste.)

Tiggerbabe
8th-October-2005, 02:33 PM
I couldnt name one MJ freestyle that I have been to in the last 6 months where I found the music challenging, interesting or open to interpretation.
Really? :whistle:
:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

I nominate this weekend as the greatest weekend of music I have been to.
You guys are simply superb.

El Salsero Gringo
8th-October-2005, 02:33 PM
Is the implication here that WCS freestyles will automatically have music that's challenging, interesting and open to interpretation?
I thought Paul was being a leeetle bit harsh about the music at MJ freestyles. Well, ok, exceedingly harsh.

And while there's a fair amount of MJ music that's unchallenging, boring and not interpretable, there's also a fair amount of WCS music that's unchallening, boring, not interpretable and sloooooooow to boot.

I think it's just down to the DJ.

ChrisA
8th-October-2005, 02:59 PM
I thought Paul was being a leeetle bit harsh about the music at MJ freestyles. Well, ok, exceedingly harsh.

I didn't. I thought he was holding back. :D

I was very disappointed last night at Ashtons ... fast tracks right to the very end. A few great tracks on the way through, but overall not my cup of tea.

And none of this "ah but what about the majority" line, either. I've been to Ashtons when it's been just as busy as last night, and the music's been luscious all the way through.

and sloooooooow to boot.

Yeah, I saw you bouncing your hands last night... so you would say that, wouldn't you .... :devil:

El Salsero Gringo
8th-October-2005, 03:45 PM
Yeah, I saw you bouncing your hands last night... so you would say that, wouldn't you .... :devil:It wasn't me - it's these new shoes. They made me do it.

I'm guessing that sticking Britain's "No.1 swing band" (ahem) on stage and rigging the audience with their very own Lindy-hopping claque wasn't going to meet directly with your approval, but that's probably meat for another thread.

BTW, Chris, have you ever tried Lindy? That on-the-toilet bum-sticking out position might help your constipation.:D

ChrisA
8th-October-2005, 03:51 PM
I'm guessing that sticking Britain's "No.1 swing band" (ahem) on stage and rigging the audience with their very own Lindy-hopping claque wasn't going to meet directly with your approval

Like you were dancing to them either... :rolleyes:

El Salsero Gringo
8th-October-2005, 03:59 PM
Like you were dancing to them either... :rolleyes:Didn't you see me managing a graceful beginner's ceroc to their penultimate number? I figured that taking about one beat in four of their 280bpm would be about right - hell, I could even have WCS'd to it with the right partner. (The rictus smile was a result of trying to count the beat that fast.) Who says Ceroc isn't flexible?

ChrisA
8th-October-2005, 04:18 PM
I figured that taking about one beat in four of their 280bpm would be about right
Next time, you might try taking the same beat in every four...

El Salsero Gringo
8th-October-2005, 04:19 PM
Next time, you might try taking the same beat in every four... :na:Remember Chris... flexibility!

David Bailey
8th-October-2005, 04:36 PM
that's probably meat for another thread.
What, like this one (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=158992#post158992)? :innocent:

El Salsero Gringo
8th-October-2005, 04:41 PM
troublemaker.

Tiggerbabe
8th-October-2005, 05:07 PM
Remember Chris... flexibility!
You sure it wasn't critical timing? :whistle:

Chicklet
8th-October-2005, 05:29 PM
Serious suggestion, (I have absolutely no commercial interest but am a big fan)...if you could come up to the monthly Route 66 nights I'm quite confident you would find a lot of what you're looking for. Music that I'm sure is not on the majority of southern MJ playlists, a really great venue and floor, very friendly natives and the majority of Scotland's small but beautifully formed (and well taught :wink: ) WCS scene...specifically probably about 10 - 12 ??? girls who can do it properly and up to another 50 girls who can follow MJ well, the majority of whom would be delighted to *play* with a new boy. It's solid music and few beginners (and I do not mean that disrespectfully to beginners, sigh, any that do come are made as welcome as the old faces) as there isn't a class.
If you carried references I'm sure there'd be a bed available for you for the night in the Capital too.:devil:

El Salsero Gringo
8th-October-2005, 05:38 PM
Serious suggestion, (I have absolutely no commercial interest but am a big fan)...if you could come up to the monthly Route 66 nights I'm quite confident you would find a lot of what you're looking for. Music that I'm sure is not on the majority of southern MJ playlists, a really great venue and floor, very friendly natives and the majority of Scotland's small but beautifully formed (and well taught :wink: ) WCS scene...specifically probably about 10 - 12 ??? girls who can do it properly and up to another 50 girls who can follow MJ well, the majority of whom would be delighted to *play* with a new boy. It's solid music and few beginners (and I do not mean that disrespectfully to beginners, sigh, any that do come are made as welcome as the old faces) as there isn't a class.
If you carried references I'm sure there'd be a bed available for you for the night in the Capital too.:devil:If it's ChrisA we're talking about, I'll give him a reference. In fact I'd even chip in towards his ticket :whistle:

Paul F
9th-October-2005, 03:15 AM
Really? :whistle:

Ooooo, that is a wicked post there sheena :devil: :devil:

That is absolutely true. The Scottish champs were fantastic.

I stand corrected :blush: :blush:

Dance Demon
9th-October-2005, 03:51 AM
Ooooo, that is a wicked post there sheena :devil: :devil:

That is absolutely true. The Scottish champs were fantastic.

I stand corrected :blush: :blush:

Cheers Paul....................................:D

CeeCee
9th-October-2005, 01:16 PM
originally posted by Ducasi
Is the implication here that WCS freestyles will automatically have music that's challenging, interesting and open to interpretation?

For me the answer is yes, absolutely. Personally WCS has awesome music, I feel inspired by it and is THE reason I wanted to learn the dance.

originally posted by ESG
And while there's a fair amount of MJ music that's unchallenging, boring and not interpretable, there's also a fair amount of WCS music that's unchallening, boring, not interpretable and sloooooooow to boot.

or (dare I say it) perhaps it's down to personal taste

Feelingpink
9th-October-2005, 02:17 PM
I cant help but think the demand for this IS here but on a small scale. People travel for Jango (approx 60-70 people Im guessing at the last one and similar numbers at the WCS t-jive). This was on a Sunday afternoon.
It all comes down to cost of venues at the end of the day but I wasnt thinking of a 200-300 capacity venue. Perhaps something slightly larger than Kent House. 100 capacity. Maybe even a fitness studio.
Yes it will be expensive but I would be confident of attracting 80+ once a month. Even if its just by word of mouth!

One of the reasons I have stopped a number of styles I have gone into in the past is purely because there just wasnt the opportunity to practice.
It may not be heaving with people but I would certainly want to go to a venue where I know I am going to have to think ! :nice:At the risk of sounding like a broken record, are you going to this Saturday's party night at Greenwich? The last two I've been to have really good music (with TWK!), good standard of dancing ... AND there are boy tickets still available! This IS a Ceroc freestyle ... but the only one I know of that restricts numbers and girl/boy ratio so that we all have a good dance experience. I also have another question - why didn't we get to dance at Jango on Monday and will you be there tomorrow? :tears:

foxylady
9th-October-2005, 05:12 PM
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, are you going to this Saturday's party night at Greenwich? The last two I've been to have really good music (with TWK!), good standard of dancing ... AND there are boy tickets still available! This IS a Ceroc freestyle ... but the only one I know of that restricts numbers and girl/boy ratio so that we all have a good dance experience. I also have another question - why didn't we get to dance at Jango on Monday and will you be there tomorrow? :tears:

Ooh yes - can I second that - Paul F - pleeeease come to greenwich ! :hug:

Paul F
10th-October-2005, 12:14 AM

I agree, its definately down to the DJ but unfortunately they are restricted in what they can play.

As for the WCS music, I find pretty much every one challenging. Its the fact that it is slow (dependant on if its an MJ night or a dedicated WCS night) that gives it the interpretation possibilities.

I also have another question - why didn't we get to dance at Jango on Monday and will you be there tomorrow? :tears:

Why is it that I keep missing the opportunity to dance with people at Kent House. Noone can ever be more than 40 feet away :) We will definately have to catch up next time. :hug:
As for tomorrow, I just dont know. Today has been a mad day of driving and dance lessons so I may have to just chill tomorrow while watching my revision vids. I will see how I feel but at the moment im afraid I might just have to spend it at home working on the stuff I learned today. :sad:

Ooh yes - can I second that - Paul F - pleeeease come to greenwich ! :hug:

Was thinking of PMing Russell as I read this. :) Sounds like a good night and well worth going to.
We may even get the chance to give some tracks a good interpreting (dangerous method of adjectivising a word again :D )

:what:

It sounds even more promising now I know TWK is Djing :worthy:

Clive Long
10th-October-2005, 10:41 AM
<< snip >>
I was very disappointed last night at Ashtons ... fast tracks right to the very end. A few great tracks on the way through, but overall not my cup of tea.
<< snip >>

: off-topic: (we need that smilie)

Picking up on one point in Chris' thread - Interesting - and I mean that (most sincerely,folks) - no sarcasm in this post.

I arrived at Ashtons on Friday (7 Oct - so I'm referring to same night as Chris) around 11pm - beginning of Ian's set. For my recollection: Latiny but not fast.

Just shows that I, you and someone can I talk about fast / slow or any other more subtle aspects of a track, use the same words, and still mean different things.

However, probably, I like dancing to upbeat "poppy" music for a greater than number of tracks than you could tolerate in an evening Chris - so my "tempo sweet spot" is probably way faster than yours.

Clive

Clive Long
10th-October-2005, 11:06 AM
Just to clarify.

When I wrote "off-topic" I was referring to my picking up of one point in Chris' post and deviating from the WCS theme of this thread - not criticising Chris' post.

Clive

ChrisA
10th-October-2005, 12:03 PM
I arrived at Ashtons on Friday (7 Oct - so I'm referring to same night as Chris) around 11pm - beginning of Ian's set. For my recollection: Latiny but not fast.

That's fair; it matches like my memory at about that time.

But you'd think it would all slow down a bit for the last hour at least of a freestyle that doesn't finish till after 1am?

I would expect something going on that late to get much slower and bluesier after midnight. But it didn't. I'd have gone home much earlier if I'd known it was going to be like that, particularly since my tendon injury had flared up again by then... :(

Just shows that I, you and someone can I talk about fast / slow or any other more subtle aspects of a track, use the same words, and still mean different things.
Sure. And at different times :D

El Salsero Gringo
10th-October-2005, 12:25 PM
That's fair; it matches like my memory at about that time.

But you'd think it would all slow down a bit for the last hour at least of a freestyle that doesn't finish till after 1am?Bob tried "The Chillout Zone" for the last hour a few Ashtons ago (great - not only am I navigating by Ceroc venues, I'm now telling the time by them too) where the whole last hour was bluesier and slower, but I think he said he had too many complaints about too much slow music.

I don't think I'd want a whole hour of slower music either.

But then my opinion doesn't count because I bounce, and I tried dancing to the Jive Aces. Or something like that.

Lucy Locket
10th-October-2005, 12:38 PM
How about some WCS in the Northampton area. Give us something else to do. I've enjoyed the WCS classes i've done at weekenders but need something closer to home to do; as well as MJ not instead of.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

ChrisA
10th-October-2005, 12:39 PM
but I think he said he had too many complaints about too much slow music.

I don't think I'd want a whole hour of slower music either.

Whatever... :shrug:

I guess I'm just stuck with being in a minority that's so small that it is just ignored except late at night on weekenders.

I may as well just give up MJ, and concentrate maybe on WCS and Tango. C'est la vie, I suppose.

But then my opinion doesn't count because I bounce, and I tried dancing to the Jive Aces. Or something like that.
As fatuous as it is wrong... the whole point is that your opinion is the only one that seems to count.

David Bailey
10th-October-2005, 12:42 PM
I guess I'm just stuck with being in a minority that's so small that it is just ignored except late at night on weekenders..
Well, I'm also in that minority, if it's any consolation (possibly not :na: )

I wouldn't want an entire hour of all-slow music, sure - but I'd like things to get slower and smoother as the evening progresses. That just seems sensible to me - I don't want to be jumping around to rock 'n roll for an hour between 12 and 1am, for example...

Paul F
10th-October-2005, 12:58 PM
I guess I'm just stuck with being in a minority that's so small that it is just ignored except late at night on weekenders.

:tears: :tears: Its so true.

El Salsero Gringo
10th-October-2005, 01:07 PM
As fatuous as it is wrong... the whole point is that your opinion is the only one that seems to count.Mee-ow. Obviously my attempt at self-deprecating humour is best flushed down the pan.

On subjects like music where it's a matter of taste I mainly keep my opinions to myself. But you're very vocal, Chris, about what you don't like. What did Bob say, when you told him what sort of tracks you'd prefer for the last hour? You did tell him, right?

Lynn
10th-October-2005, 01:09 PM
Like the 'tempo sweet spot' way of thinking about different music preferences.

And I have to say (neatly bringing this back on topic for a moment) that from the very little I have seen of WCS its the slower speed that appeals to me, allowing more time to do things with the music - would that be a fair comment?

I guess I'm just stuck with being in a minority that's so small that it is just ignored except late at night on weekenders. Yep - when MJ does get going here I think I will still get most satisfaction of seeing others learn and trying to improve my own follow (and maybe learn to lead) - but I can't see it really hitting my 'tempo sweet spot' the way a blues room does at 3am...

ChrisA
10th-October-2005, 01:27 PM
You did tell him, right?
On this occasion, I didn't.

But as you probably know, I, and others, have been talking to various DJs, Bob included, about the mixes of music they play, on and off for a very long time.

If they haven't got the message by now, then I honestly don't know what to do except give up, because obviously, it's their undeniable right to play whatever they feel is most appropriate. And if they disagree with me, that's just tough on me.

Toby's mix is the closest to what I like the best, out of all the well-known DJs around the London area. Greg (Sheepman) comes an extremely close second - but it's hard to really form an opinion since I hear his sets so infrequently. Toby tends to be a bit more Latiny, which is great, and Greg tends to be a bit more bluesy, which is also great.

But they are both varied, innovative, and aren't afraid to look a little deeper than just whether the floor is full when they decide whether music works. They are both top blokes. :clap:

Of the dancers I know well, practically all of them prefer slower music, or at least, more slower music than there is usually played other than at weekenders - assuming that what they say to me is actually what they think, of course.

Mostly they're not as vocal as I am. I've probably been too vocal for my own good... I don't think I have any options really, not within MJ, anyway. I've probably said too much about the absence of choice, too.

So I'll probably (try to :whistle: ) just STFU about it all.

David Bailey
10th-October-2005, 01:30 PM
:tears: :tears: Its so true.
OK, that's 3 of us.

Only another 700-odd more and we'll be in a majority (on the Forum)!

El Salsero Gringo
10th-October-2005, 01:32 PM
So I'll probably (try to :whistle: ) just STFU about it all.Bet you can't....:whistle:

ChrisA
10th-October-2005, 01:34 PM
Bet you can't....:whistle:
Yeah, you're probably right. I'll just see how long I can hold off :rofl:

foxylady
10th-October-2005, 02:04 PM

Make that 4...

Although from a womans point of view a whole hour of bluesy tracks with no man to dance with them to, is fairly pants too !! Dancing blues with someone who doesn't get it is more than awful...

I think the mix is what's important - as I have said on the Ashtons music thread...

I may as well just give up MJ, and concentrate maybe on WCS and Tango. C'est la vie, I suppose.

Ooh - you tango too ! :drool: ...

Back on topic, a WCS monthly freestyle would be good, but maybe numbers and viability would be increased if it was billed as a MJ night with plenty of WCS, Blues and perhaps latin 'flavas.... Essentially what TWK plays, maybe with a few tweeks here and there ?? but for a whole night - until 1/2/3am ...

(am looking forward to Greenwich even more now !)

Foxy

bobgadjet
10th-October-2005, 03:59 PM
What did Bob say, when you told him what sort of tracks you'd prefer for the last hour? You did tell him, right?
i cannot recall if anybody complained about the speed of the music on Friday last, other than one question of when was the Chill-out Zone coming, which happened to be the next track.

I have tried the 'last hour, 'last half hour' and both have brought the same response, to me anyway.......

"If you play music like that at the end of the evening, people only really want to dance with 'their' partner, so there is little point in me staying"

So for the last couple of freestyles I tried a shorter chillout, leaving at least 1/2 hour to the end, and nothing too slow make things boring, but lively enough to make people wanting more when they have to stop.

Unfortunately there is no way any DJ can get it right UNLESS you have a decdicated dance night, and then it's still difficult.

If you have a WCS night, then WCS style music will be wanted; Ballroom nights for ballroom music; tango nights; rock & roll nights.....etc.

BUT, on a MJ freestyle night the music has to try to appeal to ALL that are there. Even in the Ballroom and Latin practice it's important to get the tracks that maybe you can MJ to, especially if you cannot ballroom.

It is much easier for a DANCER to pick out atrack to WCS to, than it is for a DJ to notice whether or not the dancers want to WCS.

There was a disaster at a w/ender when a WCS teacher was given the freedom to play HIS WCS music. None of it was recognisable to the MJers, but the WCSers had a whale of a time. Trouble is, it alienated the venue from the rest of the dancers, and it failed miserably as a common dancefloor.

Had the DJ had a better knowledge of the UK WCS market, he may well have played more cross-over tracks, and it would have been a siccess.

I personally LOVE WCS, but get little time to get to the new venues for a lesson, so am stuck with the "older" stylke moves. As far as music is concerned, almost anything "right" will give me the excuse to WCS, and the speed doesn't really matter (that much to ME).

Altho more enjoyable to smooth and funky music, there is always a little space at the side of packed dancefloor for a slot dance.

Finally, if you want a WCS track, THEN ASK ME, and if you have a particular track you think might cross over, THEN BRING IT ALONG. - BUT DON'T WAIT TILL THE LAST HALF HOUR.:angry:

If the music is appropriate to cross over to any dance form, then I will give it a go, at least once.
:cheers:

Paul F
10th-October-2005, 04:02 PM
Back on topic, a WCS monthly freestyle would be good, but maybe numbers and viability would be increased if it was billed as a MJ night with plenty of WCS, Blues and perhaps latin 'flavas.... Essentially what TWK plays, maybe with a few tweeks here and there ?? but for a whole night - until 1/2/3am ...

(am looking forward to Greenwich even more now !)

Foxy

Are we expecting TWK's usual mix of magic at Greenwich then ?? If so I would be camping outside to be the first in :)

I would be surprised if he gets away with his usual tracks at a Ceroc venue.

I still say there is the need for a small-scale freestyle night once a month. After talking with a couple of people far more knowledgeable than me i now realise that its the barrier of venue rent that is the biggest hurdle.
I had assumed it would be expensive down here but I had no idea it cost so much to hire a hall in London.
:sad:

bobgadjet
10th-October-2005, 04:14 PM
After talking with a couple of people far more knowledgeable than me i now realise that its the barrier of venue rent that is the biggest hurdle.
I had assumed it would be expensive down here but I had no idea it cost so much to hire a hall in London.
It's not only the cost of the hall........
It's location - near good transport links - train/bus/car
It's car park - plenty of space, and safe
It's floor - Good quality wood, not sticky/slippery etc
It's bar costs - not thru the roof
It's size - not too big, not too small
It's layout - plenty of room to sit AND/OR dance
It's amiance - nice atmosphere, and no bad smells ! ! !
It's acoustics - not echoey echoey echoey
and a decent sound system that doesn't sound like a borrowed home HiFi ! ! !
etc etc

If you get ALL those right (and maybe some things I left out too) then you have a fantastic venue, but a very high cost, and you might even have a high cost for a good DJ, and set-up/running staff.

Don't let me discourage you into doing something tho :really: :whistle:

Msfab
10th-October-2005, 04:19 PM
I still say there is the need for a small-scale freestyle night once a month. After talking with a couple of people far more knowledgeable than me i now realise that its the barrier of venue rent that is the biggest hurdle.

How much are you talking?

wouldnt be worth the money???

Paul F
10th-October-2005, 04:30 PM
It's not only the cost of the hall........
It's location - near good transport links - train/bus/car
It's car park - plenty of space, and safe
It's floor - Good quality wood, not sticky/slippery etc
It's bar costs - not thru the roof
It's size - not too big, not too small
It's layout - plenty of room to sit AND/OR dance
It's amiance - nice atmosphere, and no bad smells ! ! !
It's acoustics - not echoey echoey echoey
and a decent sound system that doesn't sound like a borrowed home HiFi ! ! !
etc etc

If you get ALL those right (and maybe some things I left out too) then you have a fantastic venue, but a very high cost, and you might even have a high cost for a good DJ, and set-up/running staff.

They are all important for a dance night but speaking personally I would be happy to give up some of them.
I would happy with a small venue holding 80+. Cant be too many venues smaller than that :nice:
I would be prepared to find parking. I have two feet. I can walk a bit.
I dont want a bar. Im not there to drink.
Whats this sitting phenomenon of which you speak :D
I would hope such a small venue wouldnt echo much and would certainly hope it wouldnt smell.

the floor is the only thing that would stop me going.

This is all just my own idea of what I would go to. It would probably also mean that I would be the only one there so couldnt dance anyway.

It need not even be portrayed as a freestyle. Maybe even an informal 'jam' session among friends. Its just so frustrating not to be able to do it.

Its very simplistic to say but I would be happy with a decent floor, a ghetoblaster and a dance partner who knows WCS. I just dont care about anything else. I love WCS and I want to dance it.

How much are you talking?

wouldnt be worth the money???

As Bob said its just not worth it. Im not sure how much somewhere like Kent house charges for example but its still too much I bet.
As far as I know (and thats not very far) some venues can charge upwards of &#163;1500 for a friday or saturday night. :tears:
Of course there are those that go much higher.

DavidB
10th-October-2005, 04:45 PM
As Bob said its just not worth it. Im not sure how much somewhere like Kent house charges for example but its still too much I bet.
As far as I know (and thats not very far) some venues can charge upwards of £1500 for a friday or saturday night.Kent house is considerably cheaper. That it why it is fully booked.

Paul F
10th-October-2005, 04:53 PM
Kent house is considerably cheaper. That it why it is fully booked.

Looks like its a freestyle in my kitchen then :)

At least I will sell cold beer ;)

Cruella
10th-October-2005, 07:46 PM
Looks like its a freestyle in my kitchen then :)

At least I will sell cold beer ;)
I'll come, whats the floor like? :D

Paul F
10th-October-2005, 07:51 PM
I'll come, whats the floor like? :D

A bit quick near the stage! :grin:

Lynn
10th-October-2005, 07:57 PM
OK, that's 3 of us. What, I don't count then? :tears:

Clive Long
10th-October-2005, 08:08 PM
<< snip Good, useful stuff from someone with experience rather than opinion :whistle: >>

This is a real question Bob - not a snide dig at over-crowded venues - hopefully I am open about that.

How much "square footage" does one allow per dancer?

For example, the practice dance studios at artsDepot, Finchley come in at £250 for a weekday night - but I wouldn't know how to start calculating the number that could fit in there.

And the mirrors down one side might be off-putting ...

Nice floor ...

Just trying to understand the parameters here.

Clive

David Bailey
10th-October-2005, 08:15 PM
What, I don't count then? :tears:
No, I can't count - subtle difference.

OK, thats... (running out of fingers here)... 5?

5 people, £20 a head, that's £100 to dance in Paul F's kitchen. Sounds like a bargain to me.

Lynn
10th-October-2005, 08:18 PM
How much "square footage" does one allow per dancer?And do H&S at venues get involved in this decision? (I ask as I was responsible for an annual celidh that sometimes got almost 1000 - I knew that was way too much so checked into it. Insurance and H&S the venue allowed 800, but for dancing H&S said 500. Which we then reduced to 330 the following year to make it more enjoyable for the dancers.)

El Salsero Gringo
11th-October-2005, 12:33 AM
And do H&S at venues get involved in this decision? (I ask as I was responsible for an annual celidh that sometimes got almost 1000 - I knew that was way too much so checked into it. Insurance and H&S the venue allowed 800, but for dancing H&S said 500. Which we then reduced to 330 the following year to make it more enjoyable for the dancers.)The Whetstone venue is licenced for public entertainments for about 400 people I think, according to the certificate on the wall. 150 dancers means the place is packed, so I don't think the licencing limit is going to be a huge problem.

Paul F
11th-October-2005, 12:34 AM
No, I can't count - subtle difference.

OK, thats... (running out of fingers here)... 5?

5 people, £20 a head, that's £100 to dance in Paul F's kitchen. Sounds like a bargain to me.

If enough people request it I can leave the oven on to create a warm and sensuous mood in one corner ;)

El Salsero Gringo
11th-October-2005, 12:44 AM
If enough people request it I can leave the oven on to create a warm and sensuous mood in one corner ;)How much does the water cost? Can we bring our own drinks?

Paul F
11th-October-2005, 12:48 AM
How much does the water cost? Can we bring our own drinks?

Have you seen the water in Woking? :sick: Trust me you wont want to drink it.

Have yet to decide on a drinks policy. If I dont allow drinks to be brought in I would have to hire a very large man to stand at my front door and look menacing :)

Heres a thought. If you play it cool :waycool: you can stick the kettle on while spinning the lady with your other hand.
We can call it "The Kettle" :D

SilverFox
11th-October-2005, 12:54 AM
How much "square footage" does one allow per dancer?The going rate for Ceroc is one punter per square metre.

Lory
11th-October-2005, 10:52 AM
Make that 4...

Foxy
5! :flower:

Zebra Woman
11th-October-2005, 11:07 AM
The going rate for Ceroc is one punter per square metre.

:eek: That explains a lot!! :sick:

Paul's kitchen is looking good already, count me in. How many can you take Paul?

Based on SF's one person per square metre my dining room can take 48 people! Funny? I would say no more than 14 people could comfortably dance in it??

Please keep going on the music Paul, Chris, Foxy Lady :hug: . IMO more people need to approach the DJs and make suggestions/requests and early on in the evening too. I was the one who spoke to Bob on Friday asking him to slow the music down. I wish more people would be more vocal on the night.

Recently while I'm out dancing and on here I have been attempting to STFU.

The plan isn't working for me either. :rofl:

I am ready for something new. A night of WCS Freestyle, yeah I like that idea a lot. :clap:

Agree with Paul on minimum requirements. Seats? We don't need seats. :rofl:

Yogi_Bear
11th-October-2005, 01:11 PM

:yeah:

How about some WCS in the Northampton area. Give us something else to do. I've enjoyed the WCS classes i've done at weekenders but need something closer to home to do; as well as MJ not instead of.
:yeah: ..or even in Norwich :whistle:

Yogi_Bear
11th-October-2005, 01:12 PM

[Quote=Zebra Woman}
How about some WCS in the Northampton area. Give us something else to do. I've enjoyed the WCS classes i've done at weekenders but need something closer to home to do; as well as MJ not instead of. [Quote]

Yogi_Bear
11th-October-2005, 01:12 PM

[Quote=Lucy Locket]
How about some WCS in the Northampton area. Give us something else to do. I've enjoyed the WCS classes i've done at weekenders but need something closer to home to do; as well as MJ not instead of. [Quote]

Yogi_Bear
11th-October-2005, 01:17 PM
sorry about the multiple posting :o

Amir
12th-October-2005, 01:04 AM
Hi Guys

Great to see so many enthusiastic posts about wcs and other dances here!

My take on questions like 'is it time for a monthly wcs night?', 'is it time for an advanced weekender?' and 'is it time for more nights like jango?' etc is this:

There is only one sure fire way to get more of what you want: Consistently support the little that is already there, and make sure all your friends do too!

Believe me, us organizers would love to do all the above! And we will do it - as soon as its clear the demand is there. But I’m not talking about demand in writing or on the forum. I’m talking about packed classes, fully booked workshops and names on mailing lists.

WCS, Jango, advanced classes etc are definitely growing in popularity. This is an exciting time! But for big things to happen in these areas they all need more support or resources get spread too thin. Its better to have one or two well attended nights then five half-full events that eventually die.

I remember Peter saying his advanced weekly event didn’t work even though everyone said it was a great idea. The reason? Everyone also said they would only start coming when it got busy! On the flip side Nureyev said the audience has an equal responsability as the performers. You guys shape the future of the dance scene... where you go and how many people you drag along with you determines everything!

So if you want more WCS make sure you and everyone you know supports the few WCS classes that already exist...

If you want more nights like Jango make sure all your friends are at Jango...

If you want more sunshine use more sunscreen! (… ok. haven’t thought that one through I’m afraid.)

The reason there are so many weekenders now: the initial few consistently sold out.

The reason there aren’t many advanced classes or workshops: the few that exist are seldom are.

I and many organizers have found that if you build it, they won’t always come.

But if you demand it with your presence and you spread the word… it will definitely be built!

You have the power. Use it wisely.

x

Paul F
12th-October-2005, 05:28 PM
Believe me, us organizers would love to do all the above! And we will do it - as soon as its clear the demand is there. But I’m not talking about demand in writing or on the forum. I’m talking about packed classes, fully booked workshops and names on mailing lists.

hi Amir,

thanks for the post. Totally see where you are coming from when you mention that evidence is needed however....:wink: (well i had to :blush: )

asking for full classes doesnt take into account that there are people who are willing to travel to attend a friday or saturday night freestyle.
The same people who would travel may simply not be able to make it to midweek classes. Ok, i know Paul does WCS in Surbiton on a friday but its a Friday night. People generally want freestyles rather than classes (although the class is awesome :clap: )

the workshops I have been on with Paul and Cat I would consider to be full. The last one had about 40 - 50 on it. I really wouldnt have thought they should have any more for a workshop. I am assuming the reason it was busy was because people travelled.

I realise my argument provides no guarantees that a freestyle would be successful but all I would say is that there are people there. Not hundreds of them but they are there. :)

Cruella
12th-October-2005, 05:38 PM
asking for full classes doesnt take into account that there are people who are willing to travel to attend a friday or saturday night freestyle.
The same people who would travel may simply not be able to make it to midweek classes.

Absolutely!! I have no doubt that i would travel down from the midlands for a WCS freestyle. I do this most weekends for good jive freestyles! I cannot make it during the week as it is too late a night with work the next day! Surbiton is a temptation and to be fair, if it was half an hour further north, would be a definate friday venue for me.

bobgadjet
12th-October-2005, 05:48 PM
I have an idea....................

and I'm going to look for a hall next week................

and I will let you know the outcome......................

The idea will work........no matter how many do or don't turn up..............

What support would I get ? I don't care really, but it's a very long time since I was able to get to a WCS freestyle, and I am SOOOOOO out of practice and I know Janet wouldn't mind being led by some of you great new WCS leaders.

I will keep you posted.

Paul F
12th-October-2005, 05:53 PM
The idea will work........no matter how many do or don't turn up..............

Can we not get a bit of a clue ?? :whistle:

bobgadjet
12th-October-2005, 06:19 PM
Can we not get a bit of a clue ?? :whistle:
Give me a little time to survey the situation, and be patient PLEASE

I will keep you posted

:cheers:

Amir
13th-October-2005, 12:25 AM
hi Amir,

... doesnt take into account that there are people who are willing to travel to attend a friday or saturday night freestyle.
The same people who would travel may simply not be able to make it to midweek classes.

Good point! To put your mind at some semblance of rest I know that Cat has been planning a freestyle night for some time...it's about finding the right place and time. Also, I'm sure there will be more T-dances after the great success of the last one....

I still believe the emphasise from a consumer point of view should be about getting more dancers at existing events rather than trying to get more events. (Not trying to tell anyone off for talking about it. I'm just saying that this is the best strategy to get what you want long term IMO.)

The reverse is also true - for example many people complain about, I don't know, supermarkets for example, but continue to shop there year after year, because its more convinient. They say 'when there are lots of farmers markets with more convinient hours, then I'll shop there.' You have to shop at the existing markets, despite the inconvinience, for them to become more popular!

Anyway, like I said, I know that Cat has some plans up her sleeve, as I'm sure the other WCS organisers do...

Meantime, I'll see you all at the Twickenham Farmer's Market this Saturday morning, right? Right? HELLO???

Paul F
18th-October-2005, 12:26 AM
Chatting tonight brought up a very good point.

I take back my request for a purely WCS freestyle :blush:

"Why is that" I hear you cry.

I still think the interest in WCS is there to attract people to a freestyle BUT , and its a big but, whether the people that turn up are confident enough to do WCS for 4 hours straight without getting tired of having to think about what they are doing is a different matter.
It would probably get to the point where a lot of people just want the chance to 'break out' and do freestyle MJ.

So, the only answer is a Jango freestyle. There is plenty of WCS plus lot of other things for people to play with.

A very good point. Not going to say who said it because, err, im not sure really. Just thought they may not want me to. :)

Yogi_Bear
18th-October-2005, 08:20 AM
Though I am extremely keen to learn and practise WCS, I wouldn't be able to sustain 4 hours of WCS freestyle at the moment. I love to dance WCS but after eight or nine beginners classes and four of five intermediate classes I am not at a stage where I could lead pure WCS for that length of time. I and my partner would get bored with beginner moves and the odd flash of more interesting stuff. (Having said that, beginner WCS moves are so stylish and enough for me...:waycool: )Inevitably I would have to shift in and out of WCS, MJ and other styles.
There is a learning curve......

spindr
18th-October-2005, 09:08 AM
I take back my request for a purely WCS freestyle :blush:
Howabout Marilene's "monthly" WCS t-dance at Bisley (www.jivebug.co.uk) -- next dates are 6 Nov, and 4 Dec.

SpinDr.

Paul F
18th-October-2005, 09:20 AM
Howabout Marilene's "monthly" WCS t-dance at Bisley (www.jivebug.co.uk) -- next dates are 6 Nov, and 4 Dec.

SpinDr.

Yeah, these are good fun. Trouble is that, again, they are on a Sunday and the freestyle bit is only about 2 hours long.
To get enough interest it would have to be on a Friday or Saturday night. I very much doubt people would drive for 2 hours + to do 2 hours dancing.

Then again, there are some crazy people around :wink: me included :)

Geordieed
18th-October-2005, 10:07 AM
It was interesting to hear the comments at RebelYell from some of the people who have been doing WCS for a while. I had felt the same thing but didn't realise that so many other people felt the same until the end of the evening. It felt easier to stay dancing with WCS than MJ at the event.

I remember the feeling when I managed to freestyle to an entire track dancing WCS. The music had to be just right when I first started freestyling and when I tried it at venues like Hipsters it just seemed too difficult. These days the problem is not so acute and it feels easier to fit the dance to the music and not the other way around. This could be the reason for the on-going debate about whether a dj is playing tracks people can WCS to or not. With the numbers growing of people coming to give the dance a try dancers who have a little amount of time under their belts. I think the possiblity of there being a successful freestyle night is more likely now than ever before. When I first started dancing WCS there wasn't anyone apart from the teachers to freestyle with. These days it helps if there is a growing depth of experience on the dancefloor.

Cruella
18th-October-2005, 04:59 PM
Yeah, these are good fun. Trouble is that, again, they are on a Sunday and the freestyle bit is only about 2 hours long.
To get enough interest it would have to be on a Friday or Saturday night. I very much doubt people would drive for 2 hours + to do 2 hours dancing.

You calling me crazy? ( I used to travel 2 hours to these.)

Paul F
18th-October-2005, 05:44 PM
You calling me crazy? ( I used to travel 2 hours to these.)

:whistle: :whistle:

:whistle:

No :blush:

El Salsero Gringo
18th-October-2005, 05:49 PM
I remember the feeling when I managed to freestyle to an entire track dancing WCS. The music had to be just right when I first started freestyling and when I tried it at venues like Hipsters it just seemed too difficult.Yup. There are a few Ceroc beginners who post a lot on the Forum that feel the same way about the faster tracks at MJ evenings too....:whistle:

Zebra Woman
18th-October-2005, 06:16 PM

Yup, you can add me to your Crazy Person List too.

El Salsero Gringo
18th-October-2005, 06:19 PM
Yup, you can add me to your Crazy Person List too.I'd go, but the bedside table told me If I did people would think I was mad.

ducasi
18th-October-2005, 06:44 PM
Really? I don't recall much of that... Can you HarperLink to an example? :nice: