PDA

View Full Version : Ceroc / Modern Jive venues in or around Manchester

Will
19th-January-2003, 03:45 AM
I'm working in Manchester on Monday & Tuesday and will be looking for dance venues in the evenings. If anyone can point me in the direction of any either by address or website, I'd be very grateful. And if anyone in that neck of the woods wants to meet up at a dance venue - all the better!!!

Gus
19th-January-2003, 12:38 PM
Surprisingly Manchester itself is a baren wasteland for Modern Jive ... HOWEVER ... just a few miles out is Bowden/Altrincham (its on the Metro and rail services). The Tuesday night has more room than the more established Thursday night and the regular teacher, Goerge Moss, is one of the more inventive teachers in the area. If you need help getting there, PM me and I'll send you my mobile ... I try to get there on an irregular basis .... well more so now that I can't now go to Nantwich!:reallymad

Try www.modernjive.com for more details for the region or www.blitzuk.com for details of modern jive clubs round manchester.

Oh ... just rembered there is Le Swing in Prestwich on a Monday ... not sure how to get to it from town.

Will
19th-January-2003, 02:49 PM
Thanks Gus

I've been checking out your suggestions and I think I'll be trying Le Swing in Prestwich on a Monday for starters and probably the Altringham Blitz venue on the Tuesday. Are you going to be at either?

By the way, do you know anything about Stockport Swingroc? I have found this link, but I'd never heard of it before. It looks like Modern Jive.

http://www.yourstockport.co.uk/swingroc/

Cheers :cheers:

Will

Gus
19th-January-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Will
Thanks Gus
By the way, do you know anything about Stockport Swingroc? I have found this link, but I'd never heard of it before. It looks like Modern Jive.

http://www.yourstockport.co.uk/swingroc/

Cheers :cheers:

Will

Uurrr ... well Swing Roc is a breakaway from the now defunct Le Jive. Only my personal opinion but I think you will find your time better served at the Blitz and Le Swing venues.

Can't make Prestwich this week (DJing in Leeds) but should be at Altrincham. Catch ya there:wink:

John S
20th-January-2003, 12:44 AM
I used to go quite regularly to the Prestwich night - it's a lovely big dancefloor, and not crowded. I don't know if he still does it, but George Moss - mentioned in Gus's mail - quite often took the class and is an excellent teacher (and brilliant dancer).

Format is (or at least was) exactly the same as a Ceroc night.

Gus
20th-January-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by John S
I used to go quite regularly to the Prestwich night - it's a lovely big dancefloor, and not crowded. I don't know if he still does it, but George Moss - mentioned in Gus's mail - quite often took the class and is an excellent teacher (and brilliant dancer).

Yes to all the above. The club has become noticably more succesfull ... but its a huge venue so the extra numbres have been easily accomodated.

Will
21st-January-2003, 11:04 AM
I went along last night and had a great time. Bumped into Mr & Mrs Chance2Dance whilst I was there (Keith & Angeline).

Thanks very much Gus, I owe you a drink if I bump into you a Bowden tonight. Are you planning to go? Should I wear a red carnation or do I just need to look out for bright orange trousers? :grin:

Gus
21st-January-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Will
Are you planning to go? Should I wear a red carnation or do I just need to look out for bright orange trousers? :grin:

I should be there but luckily the orange trousers are being rested. Look for some balding lad in black club trousers ....
You should be in luck, my dance partner Helen should be coming across so we can actualy get some practice in before the Champs ....... getting serious, will be the 3rd time we've danced together this year! :sick: :tears: :sad: