PDA

View Full Version : London 4-6th November

drathzel
6th-October-2005, 09:14 AM
What are you up to?

I am coming down to London :clap: on the Friday evening and hoping to get some dancing in on the Friday and Saturday night!

Where can i go!

Also am flying down and heading to the North/Central Part of London (so i believe) and when i asked a few people the nearest airport i got loads of different answers!:confused: Which is the nearest?

I am also looking for cheap accomodation, preferably on the bus route from airport as i am crap at getting public transport and no undergrounds.... have a fear of being trapped under ground!:tears:

Thank you:flower:

David Bailey
6th-October-2005, 09:36 AM
I am coming down to London :clap: on the Friday evening and hoping to get some dancing in on the Friday and Saturday night!

Where can i go!

Off the top of my head, I believe both Hipsters and Cheshunt are on the Friday - Hipsters is probably easier to get to.

Also am flying down and heading to the North/Central Part of London (so i believe) and when i asked a few people the nearest airport i got loads of different answers!:confused: Which is the nearest?
North London - good for you :clap: (ooh, smileys are working again!) - great place. Clive, ESG and Lory all live there. But it's still a great place,

As for airports, Luton is probably closest - there's a coach service that takes you straight down into Brent Cross (1 mile from Ashtons!), West Hamptead etc., in about 40 minutes depending on traffic.

no undergrounds.... have a fear of being trapped under ground!:tears:
Hmmm, I think you're gonna have a few problems getting places quick if you don't use the Tube...

Clive Long
6th-October-2005, 09:41 AM
<< snip >>
<< snip >>

Regarding airports

Luton - well served by EasyJet. Recent improvements in the terminal and the transport to the train station have made this a much more pleasant option. You can get off the airport train at Mill Hill which is North West London. Also other, less frequent, "stopping" trains through Luton Parkway station.

Stansted - Used to be my absolute favourite. Beautiful terminal. Train station underneath the airport. Very busy and cluttered now with fast food outlets - but still really easy to embark and disembark from the plane. You can get off the train at Tottenham Hale in North East London - a bit "rough" but OK.

London City - will be brilliant when the Docklands Light Rail connection opens (15 December 2005). Currently a prolonged bus journey (interesting "views" in places though) to Canning Town, Canary Wharf or Liverpool Street. There are local bus options but will stop more than the airport buses. LCY has the quickest check-in for UK flights (20 mins) the shortest checkin to plane embarkation journey. Flights generally "business" cost (i.e. pricey) - but you might find a deal.

Heathrow - sprawling - long in-terminal walk times. 45 minutes tube to centre London - and basically you take the underground or pay 15 quid for Heathrow Express to Paddington. No tube from T4 - you take a tedious bus to Hatton Cross underground - but you are unlikely to fly into T4.

Gatwick - 45 minutes into centre on Gatwick Express - &#163;15 ?. Other train options available from GWK but less frequent than the G. Express and longer journey times.

If you don't take the Underground you are going to make your journey times in London a lot longer. There are above ground trains in North London (more above-ground options in South London) but as the routes are "radial" you would be probably restricted to using the N London above-ground trains to move from your hotel into the centre.

Accomodation - maybe look at the IBIS or Holiday Inn in Euston / Kings Cross area if you want to stay central - they might do cheaper weekend rates. They are a bit bland but will be clean and safe. If you want, PM me or post before you book accomodation and we can comment on the local transport and whether it is a scummy area.

Good luck

Clive
Edit: I forgot the coach options as per DJ's post - cheap, clean, regular - vulnerable to traffic jams.

drathzel
6th-October-2005, 09:53 AM
Thank you for that! But which is the best? i.e if you were me... which one would you use! Have been to luton airport before, nothing scary there, except maybe the drunk person who got on the train and babbled away to everyone til she changed trains......oh no wait.... that was me:blush:

Clive Long
6th-October-2005, 09:58 AM
Thank you for that! But which is the best? i.e if you were me... which one would you use! Have been to luton airport before, nothing scary there, except maybe the drunk person who got on the train and babbled away to everyone til she changed trains......oh no wait.... that was me:blush:
I'd suggest first find your accomodation options then work out which airport has easiest access to it.

However, personal preference, if you are definitely going to stay North /Central London I would rank them

Luton
Stansted
City (only because of cost)
Gatwick
Heathrow

Price of plane ticket will be a factor but add on the cost of the travel to / from your accomodation. If you can get a reasonable City flight - go there.

That's my suggestion - others may disagree

CRL

Tiggerbabe
6th-October-2005, 10:32 AM
If you can get a reasonable City flight - go there.
I've used City often, as I can get a direct flight there from Dundee, I like it. Check in times are short and although a small airport you're really never there long enough for it to matter. The transport to and from is quick (well as quick as these things are in London :wink: ), reasonably priced and I've never had to wait too long for either train or bus.

Robin
6th-October-2005, 11:20 AM
There will/is also a Novemeber 5th party at Finchley and Adam will be over - so he can do some work !:clap: :clap:

cerocmetro
7th-October-2005, 10:17 AM
There will/is also a Novemeber 5th party at Finchley and Adam will be over - so he can do some work !:clap: :clap:

Work:rofl: :rofl:
I am coming to dance with all the English/Scottish girls I have missed so much:drool:

:kiss:

LMC
7th-October-2005, 10:30 AM
Work:rofl: :rofl:
I am coming to dance with all the English/Scottish girls I have missed so much:drool:

:kiss:
Me! Me! Pick me!!

*hopes Adam will be at Stevenage on the Wednesday where there are normally fewer people :devil: *

Danielle, if you are heading to Finchley on Saturday then Kings Cross accommodation is probably the best bet - as well as Clive's recommendations there is also a Novotel there which I think is fairly reasonable at weekends.

drathzel
7th-October-2005, 11:12 AM
Me! Me! Pick me!!

*hopes Adam will be at Stevenage on the Wednesday where there are normally fewer people :devil: *

Danielle, if you are heading to Finchley on Saturday then Kings Cross accommodation is probably the best bet - as well as Clive's recommendations there is also a Novotel there which I think is fairly reasonable at weekends.

I think my accomodation is more going to based on my saturday activities not the night time ones:nice: but i shall look into it. thanks!

:hug: