PDA

View Full Version : Students!

drathzel
5th-October-2005, 01:42 PM
hiya

I am looking to buy a mac (ssshh):blush: and have been told that students get a discount! Was wondering if someone who is a student could check how much of a discount they would get, to see if it is worth my while finding a studenty friend who could help! you need to have a valid student card and input the number!

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukInd

Thank you:hug:

ducasi
5th-October-2005, 01:53 PM
The standard 12" iBook, which is £699 for normal punters, would cost £656.83 if you were a student...

Want any other prices?

drathzel
5th-October-2005, 01:54 PM
The standard 12" iBook, which is £699 for normal punters, would cost £656.83 if you were a student...

Want any other prices?

the student price for the microsoft office! The student edtion!

Hey, but you arent a student!!!!:hug:

killingtime
5th-October-2005, 01:56 PM
the student price for the microsoft office! The student edtion!

Hey, but you arent a student!!!!:hug: Don't have to be a student. Just a member of a Higher Education facility or know how to get access to their proxy server :eek:.

drathzel
5th-October-2005, 01:57 PM
Don't have to be a student. Just a member of a Higher Education facility or know how to get access to their proxy server :eek:.

yeah, dont want to be done for breaking any laws just yet!:D

ducasi
5th-October-2005, 01:58 PM
the student price for the microsoft office! The student edtion! £99.95

Hey, but you arent a student!!!!:hug: But I work in a uni... :nice:

Lynn
5th-October-2005, 01:59 PM
Don't have to be a student. Just a member of a Higher Education facility
Or a faculty even? Does being a member of the Higher Education Academy help I wonder?

drathzel
5th-October-2005, 02:01 PM
£99.95
But I work in a uni... :nice:

so you dont actually get anything off that as thats the main price! ok! :hug:

drathzel
5th-October-2005, 02:05 PM

Want any other prices?

what about with an 80g hard drive?:flower:

ducasi
5th-October-2005, 02:07 PM
so you dont actually get anything off that as thats the main price! ok! :hug: Microsoft will sell student editions of office to pretty much anybody. Just so long as you "know" someone in education. ;)

Apple are a little more careful... you need to be...

a student with a valid student card or a teacher, lecturer, tutor or other supervisor of students at a UK education establishment. ...and you might need to prove it.

ducasi
5th-October-2005, 02:09 PM
what about with an 80g hard drive?:flower: £722.86

drathzel
5th-October-2005, 02:10 PM
£722.86

60GIG?

ducasi
5th-October-2005, 02:13 PM
60GIG? £685.26

drathzel
5th-October-2005, 02:17 PM
£685.26

so what way does it work! can the student order it but it be paid by someone else and delivered to the card holders address? :confused:

ducasi
5th-October-2005, 02:23 PM
so what way does it work! can the student order it but it be paid by someone else and delivered to the card holders address? :confused: That I don't know...

I'd guess a mostly-legit way forward would be to pretend to be a parent/friend/guardian buying it for a student. If they ask for proof, you'll need to find a student though... :nice:

Try calling the Education Apple Store on this number: 0800 039 1010

drathzel
5th-October-2005, 02:35 PM
can you get msn on mac?:hug:

Gojive
5th-October-2005, 02:42 PM
Have you considered buying something cool, like a tablet pc Danielle?....I'm sure there's a thread about what to buy somewhere....:whistle:

drathzel
5th-October-2005, 02:43 PM
Have you considered buying a tablet pc Danielle?....I'm sure there's a thread about what to buy somewhere....:whistle:

i did but someone some where along the line converted me!:tears:

Tiggerbabe
5th-October-2005, 02:45 PM
can you get msn on mac?:hug:
yes you can :D just make sure when you're downloading it that you click on the msn for mac option :whistle:

Tiggerbabe
5th-October-2005, 02:46 PM
i did but someone some where along the line converted me!:tears:
I'm very glad to hear it :hug:

ducasi
5th-October-2005, 02:50 PM
can you get msn on mac?:hug: Yep, you can download it from Microsoft, or it will come with Office.

Alternatively you can use a program like [url=http://www.adiumx.com/]Adium[/quote] which can do MSN, AIM, ICQ, and most other IM things. :)

drathzel
5th-October-2005, 02:55 PM
Yep, you can download it from Microsoft, or it will come with Office.

Alternatively you can use a program like [url=http://www.adiumx.com/]Adium which can do MSN, AIM, ICQ, and most other IM things. :)[/quote]

can you get the smilie doofers? as i know some dont have them

ducasi
5th-October-2005, 02:59 PM
can you get the smilie doofers? as i know some dont have them Adium has lots of smilies. Not sure if it has all the ones newer versions of MSN supports, but it has enough for me... :)

You're welcome try try some out on me... ducasi@hotmail.com

Dreadful Scathe
5th-October-2005, 03:07 PM
yes you can :D just make sure when you're downloading it that you click on the msn for mac option :whistle:

aaah - if you use a MAC at least have the common decency not to use Micro$oft software ;) The best IM client - Ive heard anyway - is Fire - download and read about it here (http://fire.sourceforge.net/) but GAIM and PSI are also available.

edit : just noticed ducasis post... hadnt heard of adium!

clevedonboy
5th-October-2005, 03:11 PM
Re buying from Apple for students.

I've bought a 17 inch powerbook & iPod for our student son without any bother about Apple checking the item was actually for him (they really were though in this case)

azande
5th-October-2005, 03:13 PM
I've tried Fire and Adium, there isn't much difference between the two really, I think it comes down to personal preferences.

drathzel
5th-October-2005, 03:19 PM
Re buying from Apple for students.

I've bought a 17 inch powerbook & iPod for our student son without any bother about Apple checking the item was actually for him (they really were though in this case)

did you do it over the phone? did they ask for any id?

clevedonboy
5th-October-2005, 03:27 PM
did you do it over the phone? did they ask for any id?

did it online through the applestore - I don't think I did anything more than identify his University (but it's over a year ago now)

drathzel
5th-October-2005, 04:08 PM
did it online through the applestore - I don't think I did anything more than identify his University (but it's over a year ago now)

might phone up and find out