PDA

View Full Version : New Forum Software!

ducasi
5th-October-2005, 07:31 AM
Ooooh, new version of the forum software!!! That was fast! :D

Shame none of the buttons above my compose window now work...

Maybe there's an option...

UPDATE:

Seems for me the choice is a simple text box, or a simple text box with lots of buttons that don't work... Guess which one I'm choosing... :wink:

It's going to take a while to get used to the new "New Posts" behaviour, but I think it's a change for the good. (Now the forum actually knows what you've read, rather than just assuming you've read everything up to the last time you logged in.)

DavidY
5th-October-2005, 07:36 AM
Ooooh, new version of the forum software!!! That was fast! :DIs that why I can't see anyone's avatar any more?

ducasi
5th-October-2005, 07:40 AM
Is that why I can't see anyone's avatar any more? I guess... I can't see my avatar, but the forum software knows it still.

Probably just an option that needs tweaked. :nice:

Minnie M
5th-October-2005, 07:50 AM
I guess... I can't see my avatar, but the forum software knows it still.

Probably just an option that needs tweaked. :nice:
:tears: just checked all the right boxes are ticked - think the boss hasn't finished the change-over yet

The "recent day" key doesn't work in certain places too:really:

Wow !! look up (whilst in creating a post) :nice: drop downs:clap:

So much easier :clap: and an 'undo' fantastic - and easier attachments :flower:

Thank you Franck :hug:

ducasi
5th-October-2005, 08:23 AM
Wow !! look up (whilst in creating a post) :nice: drop downs:clap:

So much easier :clap: and an 'undo' fantastic - and easier attachments :flower: That's the bit that doesn't work for me... :tears:

azande
5th-October-2005, 09:14 AM
The link to "View first unread" doesn't work for me.

Franck
5th-October-2005, 09:18 AM
I guess... I can't see my avatar, but the forum software knows it still.

Probably just an option that needs tweaked. :nice:Yep, should now be sorted.

The new software has many new features, so feel free to share them with everyone as you discover. Similarly, make sure you pass on any 'odd' behaviour so I can fix it.
If reporting any other problem, make sure you mention which 'Style' i.e. which forum colour you're using.

Ducasi, some of the inline editing features are not working in Safari :sad:

Thanks and enjoy the new version,

azande
5th-October-2005, 09:27 AM
Ducasi, some of the inline editing features are not working in Safari :sad: or Camino!

drathzel
5th-October-2005, 09:35 AM
I cant see threads which i have looked at previously, that havent been posted on since, but now want to reply to!:tears:

azande
5th-October-2005, 09:38 AM
Use the "Recent posts" drop down manu and choose "last day", you should see them as you used to.

azande
5th-October-2005, 09:45 AM
some of the inline editing features are not working in Safarior Camino! or Firefox!

azande
5th-October-2005, 09:57 AM
Now the recent posts link has disappeared from the top menus and the Quick Style Chooser doesn't work. I'm using the Basic Blue at the moment

Lynn
5th-October-2005, 11:29 AM
Now the recent posts link has disappeared from the top menus I noticed that. I would use this to reply to threads that I knew have been active in the past few days (as Drathzel was saying). Will it be back?

CJ
5th-October-2005, 11:41 AM
I noticed that. I would use this to reply to threads that I knew have been active in the past few days (as Drathzel was saying). Will it be back?

"quick links" then "today's posts" works for me.:D

So, will this new fangled software improve the quality of the posts, discussions, etc?:whistle:

azande
5th-October-2005, 11:44 AM
Of couse not! How can you even suggest something like that.

Lynn
5th-October-2005, 11:44 AM
"quick links" then "today's posts" works for me.:D
Thanks, really busy this morning and not had time to explore. I like the listing posts not recent but that I haven't read yet!

Thanks Franck! :hug:

MartinHarper
5th-October-2005, 11:46 AM
Is that why I can't see anyone's avatar any more?

I had the opposite problem: I could see people's avatars, and had to go into User CP and disable them again.

drathzel
5th-October-2005, 11:52 AM
I had the opposite problem: I could see people's avatars, and had to go into User CP and disable them again.

nope that didnt work for me...still not seeing them

azande
5th-October-2005, 12:00 PM
some of the inline editing features are not working in Safari :sad:

I just discovered that because they don't work, I cannot attach images to my posts, and the IMG tag is still disabled and so is HTML code.

Franck
5th-October-2005, 12:08 PM
I just discovered that because they don't work, I cannot attach images to my posts, and the IMG tag is still disabled and so is HTML code.
Testing picture attachment just now! Here's the logo for our new Sunday Blues night in Stirling...

azande
5th-October-2005, 12:16 PM
Testing picture attachment just now! Here's the logo for our new Sunday Blues night in Stirling...
Weird, I cannot see any button that allows me to attach a file.... in the "additional Options there is a section called "Attach file" but there is only a line describing what kind of files I can attach.

I would post a screenshot :whistle:

And while we are at it smilies don't work if I just click on them. Is it just because I'm using Safari?

Tiggerbabe
5th-October-2005, 12:18 PM
Weird, I cannot see any button that allows me to attach a file.... in the "additional Options there is a section called "Attach file" but there is only a line describing what kind of files I can attach.

I would post a screenshot :whistle:

And while we are at it smilies don't work if I just click on them. Is it just because I'm using Safari?
Azande, try refreshing your cache - from the safari menu :wink:

ducasi
5th-October-2005, 12:20 PM
Noticed a few things...

Quite often Safari doesn't jump to named anchors (I think this is a bug in Safari) but it seems much worse in the last 10-15 minutes. :confused: Going to restart my browser to see if it helps. :nice:

There's no "Send a Private Message..." link in people's profiles anymore.

Last thing I've just noticed is that there's no "quick reply" button on posts any more. (But the quick-reply box always works!)

Oh, and maybe this thread now belongs in the feedback forum – I only posted it here as I was testing to see if the new compose stuff was working in Safari yet...

(Oh yeah, I'm using the default "Ceroc Orange" style. :nice: )

drathzel
5th-October-2005, 12:44 PM
is anyone else still not getting avatar?

Cruella
5th-October-2005, 12:50 PM
is anyone else still not getting avatar?
I'm seeing Avatars but can't seem to use my smilies. Boo Hoo!

drathzel
5th-October-2005, 12:57 PM

i can use my smilies but Claire S said hers didnt seem to be working!

El Salsero Gringo
5th-October-2005, 01:01 PM
I have good Avatar, but no formatting buttons, tag buttons or smileys.

That's in Firefox.

Piglet
5th-October-2005, 01:01 PM

Me too! I'm in basic orange but also at work and getting debugging messages every time I try to do something new

azande
5th-October-2005, 01:07 PM
i can use my smilies but Claire S said hers didnt seem to be working!
Everything is working now! http://www.azande.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/smilies/bleh.gif

ducasi
5th-October-2005, 01:11 PM

That's in Firefox. There's an editing mode option which might be responsible for that...

drathzel
5th-October-2005, 01:27 PM
Everything is working now! http://www.azande.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/smilies/bleh.gif

Not the avatars!:tears:

Franck
5th-October-2005, 01:27 PM

That's in Firefox.Thanks for the reports. Anyone having trouble with avatars or smileys should try and clear the cache in their browser (and possibly quit / re-launch it) - I think that Control F5 is the key combination to do this.

El Salsero Gringo
5th-October-2005, 01:35 PM
There's an editing mode option which might be responsible for that... No, I see all the buttons and smileys, but clicking on them doesn't do anything. (Mouse cursor doesn't change either as I pass over them, although I do get the hover-text)

drathzel
5th-October-2005, 01:36 PM
still not getting avatars!!!:mad:

El Salsero Gringo
5th-October-2005, 01:41 PM
No, I see all the buttons and smileys, but clicking on them doesn't do anything. (Mouse cursor doesn't change either as I pass over them, although I do get the hover-text)OK, now they all work. Cute new editing options.

Nice one, Mr F.

ducasi
5th-October-2005, 01:43 PM
No, I see all the buttons and smileys, but clicking on them doesn't do anything. (Mouse cursor doesn't change either as I pass over them, although I do get the hover-text) That'll mean then that you're not using an approved browser I guess... :sad:

It's a shame in this new version they forgot about graceful degradation... :rolleyes:

Version 3.5 was only announced yesterday, but I'm sure they'll be getting loads of complaints about this already.

(Oh, and I don't have a button to do attachments either, at least, not in the "enhanced" editor that I guess we were all just moved to... Might have them back in plain-text world.)

ducasi
5th-October-2005, 01:45 PM
Nope, still no way to do attachments in the simple text box... Ceroc Orange style. :sad:

drathzel
5th-October-2005, 01:48 PM
Nope, still no way to do attachments in the simple text box... Ceroc Orange style. :sad:

I get avatars orange style but not apple white:tears:

Gadget
5th-October-2005, 02:01 PM
Last thing I've just noticed is that there's no "quick reply" button on posts any more. (But the quick-reply box always works!)Ah... hang on...
Nope.
Can't activate the quick reply box.

Lynn
5th-October-2005, 02:02 PM
What's all the 'extra' bits I'm getting when using quotes from another post < p > sort of thing and how can I switch it off? (Maybe obvious, but I am blonde! And not getting smilies to work either...)

CJ
5th-October-2005, 02:16 PM
And not getting smilies to work either...)

:rofl: :rofl:

I am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:na:

ducasi
5th-October-2005, 02:18 PM
Ah... hang on...
Nope.
Can't activate the quick reply box. Nor me now... There's a setting on whether you need to hit a button or not, but I guess it's just been changed...

I wonder what happened to the quick reply links. :confused:

Lynn
5th-October-2005, 02:18 PM
And private message receipts doesn't seem to be working for me. Help, what am I doing wrong? Do I need to reset something?

ChrisA
5th-October-2005, 02:20 PM
Ah... hang on...
Nope.
Can't activate the quick reply box.
Blimey, there's a spell checker included in the new version too :rofl:

On a different note, please could we have the "unread posts from the last 1,2,x days" links back?

Nice having WYSIWYG in the editor, BTW.

Lynn
5th-October-2005, 02:22 PM
Of course maybe I shouldn't try and sort this out yet - if I have lots of < p > all over the place and can't use formatting or smilies, maybe I'll have to not post very much, therefore not read very much and it will nudge me into my forum 'break'! :wink: (btw, that wasn't using the smilies button!)

Lynn
5th-October-2005, 02:24 PM
And why doesn't this thread appear when I click 'New posts' when I have just posted on it? But it does when I click 'Recent posts'?
Edit - it doesn't seem to be included in 'New posts' if being viewed by the the last person who posted.
Further edit - I can't put spaces in between lines to create different paragraphs.

Lynn
5th-October-2005, 02:45 PM
And why doesn't this thread appear when I click 'New posts' when I have just posted on it? But it does when I click 'Recent posts'?
Edit - it doesn't seem to be included in 'New posts' if being viewed by the the last person who posted.
</p> OK its actually if you have viewed a thread and then click 'new posts' any threads that you have viewed, that haven't had any new posts, aren't listed. The only way to view all recent threads is therefore 'recent posts' so I will probably now revert to using that button.And still can't do any formatting in posts - help please? What am I doing wrong?

David Bailey
5th-October-2005, 02:47 PM
:eek: I CAN'T SEE HOW MANY REP POINTS I'VE GOT! (or anyone else for that matter)

THIS IS IMPORTANT!

:whistle:

(Am using Mozila, default Orange scheme)

(Oh, it works OK in IE - but don't make me use the Devil's Browser, please...)

bigdjiver
5th-October-2005, 02:52 PM
I had Avatars switched off, but the option was swapped when the new software was installed. I changed it back through the control panel, and it works fine.
I could not see the quick reply symbol at first, but that is OK now.

ducasi
5th-October-2005, 02:54 PM
:eek: I CAN'T SEE HOW MANY REP POINTS I'VE GOT! (or anyone else for that matter)

THIS IS IMPORTANT! I guess they're now back? (They are for me.)

Oh, and congrats for reaching 400 points. I see you now have double the power! :nice:

LMC
5th-October-2005, 03:19 PM
Well, you can't please all of the people all of the time, and I'm obviously in a minority on this, but I actually rather liked the idea of being only being able to see the "pips" so you have a general idea of someone's rep rather than the exact number, as the posts on this and in Chit Chat just demonstrate that people get a bit obsessive about it (DJ & Lynn, I love you both, but sorry, I just don't see eye to eye with you on this one...)

killingtime
5th-October-2005, 03:37 PM
Further edit - I can't put spaces in between lines to create different paragraphs.

That's because you are using the WYSIWYG Editor. Switch back to one of the other ones (in Edit Options) and it will work just fine. Except for the Smilies :tears:. It's a good thing I'm obsessive enough to know all the names for them :what:.

drathzel
5th-October-2005, 03:54 PM
can i change back to non orange now? will my avatars work?:hug:

Lynn
5th-October-2005, 04:02 PM
Well, you can't please all of the people all of the time, and I'm obviously in a minority on this, but I actually rather liked the idea of being only being able to see the "pips" so you have a general idea of someone's rep rather than the exact number, as the posts on this and in Chit Chat just demonstrate that people get a bit obsessive about it (DJ & Lynn, I love you both, but sorry, I just don't see eye to eye with you on this one...)That's OK :hug:

I mainly like it as I know how many points I have so it lets me know if I have new rep comments (which mean more to me than the points) when my total goes up. I don't really pay that much attention to other people's total.

And I'm on my home PC now and all the editing is working in the wizzy whatever, so it must be something to do with the work one.

LMC
5th-October-2005, 04:10 PM
I mainly like it as I know how many points I have so it lets me know if I have new rep comments (which mean more to me than the points) when my total goes up. I don't really pay that much attention to other people's total.
I agree that the comments are the best bit - but they are saved for about a month - or one page's worth, not sure which, my list shows about a month's worth of comments. So unless you're ESG and have a magnetic attraction to rep points, you'd be unlikely to miss any comments if you checked in every few days.

Oh well, it's probably one of those nine-day wonders and people will find something else to go on about.

*thinks as hard as she can of something else to go on about... coming up with something pointless isn't the problem, coming up with something interesting... now that's challenging for me :rofl:*

drathzel
5th-October-2005, 04:38 PM
I'm not getting my pm's reciepted!:confused:

drathzel
5th-October-2005, 04:40 PM
ah my mistake.... cuz everything else had been reset, so had that!:devil:

Lynn
5th-October-2005, 04:41 PM
I'm not getting my pm's reciepted!:confused:Yes, I noticed that earlier. :tears:

drathzel
5th-October-2005, 04:42 PM
Yes, I noticed that earlier. :tears:

i know how to do it for each individual message but can you do it for all? and how?:confused:

David Bailey
5th-October-2005, 07:45 PM
I actually rather liked the idea of being only being able to see the "pips" so you have a general idea of someone's rep rather than the exact number,
It's an interesting idea, and if that were the intention, fine - but it was a bug, not a feature - apparently these are two different things. Also, I'm very anal about (well, many things, but at the moment) backward-compatibility.

as the posts on this and in Chit Chat just demonstrate that people get a bit obsessive about it
I agree (!), but as Lynn says, it's nice to have an indicator as to when someone's said something nice about you, so you can thank them. Or ignore them, of course, which is what I do.

Lynn
5th-October-2005, 08:37 PM
I agree (!), but as Lynn says, it's nice to have an indicator as to when someone's said something nice about you, so you can thank them. Or ignore them, of course, which is what I do. Is there some forum ettiquette of thanking people for rep? Cos I don't (unless I'm PMing them about something else). Isn't it sort of the point that you can rep someone with a nice comment without having to have a 'conversation' (not that I don't like conversations via PM, but you know what I mean).

They do make me smile though! :grin:

bigdjiver
6th-October-2005, 03:13 AM
Is there some forum ettiquette of thanking people for rep? Cos I don't (unless I'm PMing them about something else). Isn't it sort of the point that you can rep someone with a nice comment without having to have a 'conversation' (not that I don't like conversations via PM, but you know what I mean).

They do make me smile though! :grin:For me giving rep is a way of saying thank-you. I do not want to hear "Thank-you for saying thank-you." Life is too short.

David Bailey
6th-October-2005, 08:05 AM
Is there some forum ettiquette of thanking people for rep?
You're asking me? :rofl:

Anyway, my smilies and editing bar seem to have packed up again (on Mozilla) - I'm sure they were working yesterday...

drathzel
6th-October-2005, 09:06 AM
anyone know how to set your read receipts permanently yet?

Lynn
6th-October-2005, 09:53 AM
You're asking me? :rofl:

Anyway, my smilies and editing bar seem to have packed up again (on Mozilla) - I'm sure they were working yesterday...
:rofl:OK - my wysiwyg editor works fine at home, but not on the PC here at work (and don't tell me its because I'm using IE on a PC because I am on both - though almost everyone else at work now has a Mac.)Is there something I need to reset on this PC to get it to work?

Lynn
6th-October-2005, 09:55 AM
:rofl:OK - my wysiwyg editor works fine at home, but not on the PC here at work (and don't tell me its because I'm using IE on a PC because I am on both - though almost everyone else at work now has a Mac.)Is there something I need to reset on this PC to get it to work? And none of the smilies work in standard editor either.

Can I get it to do seperate lines in Standard?

El Salsero Gringo
6th-October-2005, 09:58 AM
:rofl:OK - my wysiwyg editor works fine at home, but not on the PC here at work (and don't tell me its because I'm using IE on a PC because I am on both - though almost everyone else at work now has a Mac.)Is there something I need to reset on this PC to get it to work?Did you try ctrl-F5?

Lynn
6th-October-2005, 10:38 AM
Did you try ctrl-F5?Yep, tried that yesterday as Franck had suggested it. I just get a little circle on the screen - (as in lettting me know where the cursor is). Any other suggestions?

El Salsero Gringo
6th-October-2005, 10:47 AM
Yep, tried that yesterday as Franck had suggested it. I just get a little circle on the screen - (as in lettting me know where the cursor is). Any other suggestions?OK. Well, what should happen when you hit Ctrl-F5 is that the browser dumps its cache (of graphics and everything else) and reloads the current page directly from the web server. So on both Firefox and IE6 (I've just tried it on both) the page goes first blank, then rebuilds bit by bit, much slower than just opening the page in the regular fashion.

If you don't see something like that the procedure hasn't worked, so try it again, or try this: go to another site. choose Tools->Internet Options and choose "Delete files" in the "Temporary Internet Files" panel.

I had the same symptoms as you, and I also didn't think it was a cache issue - until a full cache flush fixed it.

killingtime
6th-October-2005, 10:50 AM
Yep, tried that yesterday as Franck had suggested it. I just get a little circle on the screen - (as in lettting me know where the cursor is). Any other suggestions?

You've got the Intellisense Intellimouse software on haven't you? Or it could be part of Accessibility now. Anyway that's overriding the browser getting the Ctrl-F5 command and stopping it refreshing the cache.

Your options are:

Wait until the cache clears. Maybe take a while; maybe not.
Force your cache to clear (in Tools -> Internet Options... -> General -> Temporary Internet Files -> Delete Files...)
Turn of Accessibility; Press Ctrl - F5 on the Reply Screen; turn it off again.
Something else I can't think of

Edit: Damn it ESG types so fast

Lynn
6th-October-2005, 10:56 AM
Thanks guys, will try that. I have a new screen, keyboard and mouse (passed on from someone else in the office who has a new Apple laptop now) - but haven't had the software for them loaded (was given the discs yesterday).

Lynn
6th-October-2005, 11:18 AM
Thanks guys, will try that. It worked. Thanks.:D

Lynn
6th-October-2005, 12:15 PM
Oh - I like the new editing box that opens right in the post you have made!

Clive Long
7th-October-2005, 07:21 AM
Yep, should now be sorted.

The new software has many new features, so feel free to share them with everyone as you discover. Similarly, make sure you pass on any 'odd' behaviour so I can fix it.
If reporting any other problem, make sure you mention which 'Style' i.e. which forum colour you're using.

Ducasi, some of the inline editing features are not working in Safari :sad:

Thanks and enjoy the new version,
I find that after I sign on, and go to create a new post, then slect preview or submit post - the software requires me to sign on again.

The original post is "lost" - but I can retrieve the text from the "data entry window" by back-tracking with the browser back button. Don't think this happens every time. Can't pin the problem down more than that I'm afraid.

Clive

Dreadful Scathe
7th-October-2005, 11:27 AM
Did you try ctrl-F5?

No, no , no - if its a PC, Alt-F4 works much better!

under par
7th-October-2005, 11:40 AM

Ha! Ha! Ha you little tinker smurf!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

LMC
7th-October-2005, 12:12 PM
Do not do this.

It will delete the entire forum.

And give you zits.

drathzel
7th-October-2005, 01:41 PM
In the BFG thread Franck mentioned that you can now see the rep you have given underneither the rep you have recieved.... but i cant:tears:

ducasi
7th-October-2005, 01:44 PM
In the BFG thread Franck mentioned that you can now see the rep you have given underneither the rep you have recieved.... but i cant:tears:
Works for me... Maybe you're just not repping enough. :wink: :wink:

El Salsero Gringo
7th-October-2005, 01:44 PM
In the BFG thread Franck mentioned that you can now see the rep you have given underneither the rep you have recieved.... but i cant:tears:Wouldn't it be interesting if your posts not only displayed your total rep received, but also the total rep points that you'd given out?

drathzel
7th-October-2005, 01:45 PM
Works for me... Maybe you're just not repping enough. :wink: :wink:

where exactly are you seeing it?

oh oh edit..... i can see it if i am in orange but not in apple white.. which i use as its less noticable when people walk in the room!

Franck
7th-October-2005, 01:46 PM
where exactly are you seeing it?
Sorry D, the facility is only implemented in the Orange style, so you'll need to switch to that to see the rep you gave.

drathzel
7th-October-2005, 01:48 PM
Sorry D, the facility is only implemented in the Orange style, so you'll need to switch to that to see the rep you gave.

ok thanks!:hug:

Gadget
7th-October-2005, 08:59 PM
ok thanks!:hug:
It's not in the blue one either... and why do some posts (/areas?) allow "quick reply" and others don't?

Clive Long
10th-October-2005, 10:06 AM
Is it me? Is it me?

Does anyone use the click of forum title in "home page"of the forum to take them to the latest unread post in a thread?

When I now use this I get placed "several pages back" in the thread - a complete bl00dy nuisance.

Is no one else getting this "forced second logon" when replying to posts???? :sad:

This new version of vBulletin has been a retrograde step in my experience and hasn't introduced any "must have features" that have counter-balanced the irritations.

With software upgrades follow the medical dictum, "First, do no harm".

Clive

El Salsero Gringo
10th-October-2005, 10:21 AM
Is it me? Is it me?

Does anyone use the click of forum title in "home page"of the forum to take them to the latest unread post in a thread?

When I now use this I get placed "several pages back" in the thread - a complete bl00dy nuisance.It does the first time you go to the thread after an upgrade. After that it seems to settle down.

Is no one else getting this "forced second logon" when replying to posts???? :sad: Not me.

The "insert link" box of the compose screen doesn't work as before; it only asks you for the URL now instead of the link text first then the URL. If you want distinct link text you have to edit the insert manually. This could be a feature, but it might be a bug.

The new display for unread posts works in a way that I don't like so much; previously, when you replied to or read a thread, it would still appear in the new posts search for a while, albeit no longer emboldened. So you could go back to the thread (or your reply) within a few minutes. This was important if other replies came in while you were posting yours - you could check. Now it immediately disappears from the list of new posts (because you're up to date on that thread) and you have to go to 'Recent Posts' to find it.

Northants Girly
10th-October-2005, 10:22 AM
Sorry D, the facility is only implemented in the Orange style, so you'll need to switch to that to see the rep you gave.Why's that? :confused:

Why can't say blue style users use it too? :(

Lynn
10th-October-2005, 10:32 AM
The "insert link" box of the compose screen doesn't work as before; it only asks you for the URL now instead of the link text first then the URL. If you want distinct link text you have to edit the insert manually. This could be a feature, but it might be a bug.. I noticed that too. Didn't know you could edit it manually though.

And Clive - check that the 'Remember Me' box is ticked when you log on - I notice now that the default is for it not to be ticked - could that be why it asks you to log on again?

David Bailey
10th-October-2005, 10:35 AM
Is no one else getting this "forced second logon" when replying to posts???? :sad:
I'm getting a "Not logged in" on occasion - I've no idea why, and as I usually have multiple tabs open for forum posting, it's difficult to see a pattern.

It's bloody annoying if you've spent ages composing a post and then go to post it - and it requires you to log back in. OK, 90% of the time you can then post it as you wanted, but I'm paranoid that it'll lose my precious pearls of wisdome...

This new version of vBulletin has been a retrograde step in my experience and hasn't introduced any "must have features" that have counter-balanced the irritations.
A bit harsh - I'd be more inclined to say there are still some teething problems, is all.
But the "inline edit" for posts is lovely to fix mistakes, and I'm now starting to like the way "New posts" is divided into new and unread sections.

The "insert link" box of the compose screen doesn't work as before; it only asks you for the URL now instead of the link text first then the URL.
This was a bit confusing, but I like this now - it seems more in line with other editing practices to me, where you associate a link with some pre-existing text.

The new display for unread posts works in a way that I don't like so much; previously, when you replied to or read a thread, it would still appear in the new posts search for a while, albeit no longer emboldened. So you could go back to the thread (or your reply) within a few minutes. This was important if other replies came in while you were posting yours - you could check. Now it immediately disappears from the list of new posts (because you're up to date on that thread) and you have to go to 'Recent Posts' to find it.
Yeah, that is a bit of a pain.

The only serious critique I'd say of the upgrade is the lack of "New features" documentation - it'd be useful to put a "what works differently" or even a mini-FAQ ( a good one, of course :) ), rather than finding out by trial and error.

El Salsero Gringo
10th-October-2005, 10:37 AM
This was a bit confusing, but I like this now - it seems more in line with other editing practices to me, where you associate a link with some pre-existing text.
Aha - is that how it works. Cool. Definitely an improvement then.

The undo/re-do feature in the editor is new as well no? That's also useful.

Lynn
10th-October-2005, 10:41 AM
Still no read receipts for PMs? Or have I just not switched something on that I should have?

ducasi
10th-October-2005, 10:44 AM
Is it me? Is it me? First check this...

Are you reading the forum at this URL:

http://cerocscotland.com/forum/

Or this one...

http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/

You'll find if you use the first one, things could go bad, including being asked to login again...

If that's not your problem... Try logging out of the forum, going to your browser's cookie list and making sure all the cerocscotland.com cookies have been erased.

Before you log back in, wipe your browser's cache.

Let me know if any of this helps... :nice:

ducasi
10th-October-2005, 10:46 AM
Still no read receipts for PMs? Or have I just not switched something on that I should have?
Yeah, that's a bummer. I did a bit of hacking on my Mac to get these back, but it's not a solution available to everyone. As I haven't had a good look at the admin options of this new version, I don't know if there's a setting Franck can change...

ducasi
10th-October-2005, 10:47 AM
The undo/re-do feature in the editor is new as well no? That's also useful. Hmm... I already have that in my browser... :shrug:

ducasi
10th-October-2005, 10:49 AM
Why's that? :confused:

It's simply that the other styles haven't been written with this capability in mind and would need fixed up to allow it. Not a big change in itself, but across all the other styles and fixes needed, quite a lot of work!

Clive Long
10th-October-2005, 10:52 AM
I noticed that too. Didn't know you could edit it manually though.

And Clive - check that the 'Remember Me' box is ticked when you log on - I notice now that the default is for it not to be ticked - could that be why it asks you to log on again?
Good point.

I do have "Remember, me" checked and in top RH corner of the page (below adverts) I see "Welcome, Clive Long" - so I "know" I am logged on before I attempt the reply - that's why I think this is weird "double logon" behaviour

CRL

ducasi
10th-October-2005, 10:55 AM
The "insert link" box of the compose screen doesn't work as before... As DJ says, it tries to wrap the current selection... Unfortunately none of the wrap-selection buttons work in my browser. So I don't get to wrap links round text... :(

The new display for unread posts works in a way that I don't like so much ... And as I said way back in the first post of this thread, I really like the new behaviour that it really does track exactly what you've seen and what you haven't. Unfortunately that does mean you have to be careful to make sure you don't miss "in the meantime" posts when you post...

Clive Long
10th-October-2005, 10:55 AM
First check this...

Are you reading the forum at this URL:

http://cerocscotland.com/forum/

Or this one...

http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/

You'll find if you use the first one, things could go bad, including being asked to login again...

Ahhhhhh ... you maybe right ... Need to revise now - I'll let you know later, grasshopper. (don't know appropriate Star Wars / Paduan pop-cultural reference).

CRL

ducasi
10th-October-2005, 11:03 AM
The only serious critique I'd say of the upgrade is the lack of "New features" documentation - it'd be useful to put a "what works differently" or even a mini-FAQ ( a good one, of course :) ), rather than finding out by trial and error. Here's the official list of major new features and improvements...

Some New Features and Improvements:
-----------------------------------
* Product/Plugin system with over 550 'hook' locations
strategically placed in the code. Allows modification
and extension of vBulletin without physical alteration
of the vBulletin PHP scripts.
* Inline moderation allows multiple threads or posts to be
have moderation actions performed without a visit to the
admin or moderator control panels
* Completely rewritten message editor with ability to
instantly switch between standard and WYSIWYG modes
* Thread title editing on forumdisplay via AJAX
* Thread opening and closing on forumdisplay via AJAX
* Super-Quick Reply on showthread via AJAX
* Inline post edit on showthread via AJAX
* Username suggestion for PM recipients and search by
user via AJAX
* Data manipulation APIs (Data Manager) for centralized
data saving
* Template History & Comparison for easy tracking of
changes
* Database-based thread and forum read marking
* MySQL Full Text Search
* Additional Datastore Storage Methods
* SMTP Mail Wrapper
* MySQLi Wrapper
* PHPDoc'd Source Code
* Moderator log language abstraction
* Webkit support for style manager color picker
* ImageMagick 6 Support (alternative to GD)
* Calendar events support start/end times
* Custom avatar and profile picture resizing
* Profile pictures can be saved to filesystem
* Statistics ordering
* Each attachment image type can be individually set to
generate thumbnails or not
* Each attachment image type can be individually set to
open in a new window or not
* Moderated posts and threads do not contribute to post
count until approved
* Language chooser in footer
* New bbcode parser now corrects invalid tag nesting to
ensure valid HTML
* New [attach] bbcode tag for placing attachments inline
with messages
* New [noparse] bbcode tag for disabling bbcode parsing
within
* Word wrap excludes contents of PHP/CODE/HTML blocks
* Search engine spider configuration via XML file
* New 'Can View Thread Content' permission
* New 'Can Upload Animated GIF' permission
* Attachment upload via URL in addition to local upload
* New (hopefully foolproof) method for setting
cookiepath/cookiedomain
* Forum description field no longer limited to 250 characters
* Completely rewritten Paid Subscriptions system - now known
as Payment APIs. New support for 2checkout, Worldpay and
Authorize.net
* 'Always Moderate Group Posts' permission replaced with more
logical 'Follow Forum Moderation Rules' permission
* Threads containing posts awaiting moderation have indicator
icon on forumdisplay for moderators
* Right-to-left language support improved
* Additional 'Execute SQL' auto-queries added
* Image verification for sendmessage to avoid spam issues
* Improved registration image verification to out-fox those
pesky bots
* Control panel navigation controlled by XML for easier
addition of links
* Upgrade system now imports styles/languages/options only
after upgrade complete rather than after each script
* Ability to preview signature edits
* Calendar event email reminders

El Salsero Gringo
10th-October-2005, 11:19 AM
And as I said way back in the first post of this thread, I really like the new behaviour that it really does track exactly what you've seen and what you haven't. Unfortunately that does mean you have to be careful to make sure you don't miss "in the meantime" posts when you post...Whenever you 'fix' some behaviour of a system so that it's more logical or 'consistent', you'll always find some people who had got used to the old way of doing things and preferred it.

LMC
10th-October-2005, 11:26 AM
The psychology of change... ah, it's fascinating to watch.

bigdjiver
10th-October-2005, 12:46 PM
When I was being trained as an IBM systems programmer my boss would look look at the advertised features of the next "great" release of the operating system and say "want that, want that,...", but he would not install it. The next release would be comparitively boring, but it would be far more likely to actually work. The problems involved for writing software for hundreds of systems that are not the same, and hundreds of users that each operate differently should not be underestimated. The machine that is most likely to be most different from that of the average user is the one that the programmer is using, and doing most of the testing on. The forum software is getting to be quite a substantial systems now, and I think those concerned have done not too badly. When I have got my head around the changes (old dogs) and discovered the new features I will probably think that they have done very well indeed. This thread has been very useful. I think I will have to reread it, and distribute some rep.

Gadget
10th-October-2005, 01:18 PM
I like the < ctrl-B > etc to wrap text in formatting :cool:

Clive Long
10th-October-2005, 04:03 PM
Whenever you 'fix' some behaviour of a system so that it's more logical or 'consistent', you'll always find some people who had got used to the old way of doing things and preferred it.
True. But there is a whole load of difference, in my opinion, between things that work in a different way, so you just have to get used to them, and things just "don't work", however you may wish to dress them up, like "links to latest unread posts" putting you pages back in the thread or having to log on a second time when you are already logged on :angry: (I think you are right on the URL being the problem Ducasi :worthy: )

BTW my exam is on systems change and evolution so this is a hot topic for me.

Over-reacting? Me ??? :innocent:

Clive

Lou
10th-October-2005, 04:04 PM
I can't decide whether the list of "12 Most Recent Searches Made By Our Members" in the "advanced search (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/search.php)" window is disconcerting or fascinating. Probably both. :)

ducasi
10th-October-2005, 04:06 PM
I can't decide whether the list of "12 Most Recent Searches Made By Our Members" in the "advanced search (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/search.php)" window is disconcerting or fascinating. Probably both. :)
I think it's great! :D :D

The number varies, which makes me wonder how it decides... Probably only showing you the ones it has cached.

LMC
10th-October-2005, 04:07 PM
I am literally killing myself laughing now - please tell me I'm not the only one planning to do some dodgy searches just to get people "wondering"?

OK, OK, I'm a big kid...

El Salsero Gringo
10th-October-2005, 04:36 PM
I am literally killing myself laughing now - please tell me I'm not the only one planning to do some dodgy searches just to get people "wondering"?

OK, OK, I'm a big kid...
Would the person who searched for "lemon latin lover" please stand up...

LMC
10th-October-2005, 04:48 PM
Stop it! I'm dying here...:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I haven't actually *done* any dodgy searches yet, but looking at the history, have either put ideas into people's heads, or am not the only big kid on here....

Dreadful Scathe
10th-October-2005, 04:51 PM
Hmm have people deliberately been searching for "fruit orifice tight" ? :)

LMC
10th-October-2005, 04:56 PM
Hmm have people deliberately been searching for "fruit orifice tight" ? :)
If the searches were Boolean then the number of results for that one, and for "commando rhythm mistress" would be quite scary :eek: :rofl:

killingtime
10th-October-2005, 05:10 PM
If the searches were Boolean then the number of results for that one, and for "commando rhythm mistress" would be quite scary :eek: :rofl:

Hey! OR is Boolean (and has feelings) too :D.

I get what you mean though. If it was an AND based search then "rendezvous submarine 16:00 signal long-long-long-short location as before (Agent Z)" at 5000 would be scary.

ducasi
10th-October-2005, 07:09 PM
I think quick search is AND, while advanced search is OR... Or at least, that's the notion I have in my head... Wish it was always AND, as OR searches almost always suck.

killingtime
10th-October-2005, 07:50 PM
I think quick search is AND, while advanced search is OR... Or at least, that's the notion I have in my head... Wish it was always AND, as OR searches almost always suck.

Yes they do. They do have some purpose "Final Fantasy XII OR 12 OR Twelve" for example; but people will put the ORs in explicitly in such cases.

I wonder if any search engine supports XOR?

ducasi
10th-October-2005, 08:04 PM
Yes they do. They do have some purpose "Final Fantasy XII OR 12 OR Twelve" for example; but people will put the ORs in explicitly in such cases. But forget to put in brackets which means all the documents with "12" in them overwhelm the rest. Explicit binary searching can be cool, but implicit OR almost always sucks. (Which is what I meant.)

I wonder if any search engine supports XOR? You'd have to convince me of it's usefulness first...

killingtime
10th-October-2005, 08:11 PM
You'd have to convince me of it's usefulness first...

I can almost certainly convince you that there is no use to them at all. Just curious if any did support them. NOT does just fine.

Though on your other point Google would, I think, parse "Final Fantasy XII OR 12 OR Twelve" as Final AND Fantasy AND (12 OR XII OR Twelve) automatically. If it didn't though I might have to remember to change search queries in the future.

ducasi
10th-October-2005, 08:19 PM
Though on your other point Google would, I think, parse "Final Fantasy XII OR 12 OR Twelve" as Final AND Fantasy AND (12 OR XII OR Twelve) automatically. If it didn't though I might have to remember to change search queries in the future. Well it finds 18 million pages with your search, and 19 million with just "Final Fantasy XII". I don't think Google does boolean – it always does an implicit AND.

killingtime
11th-October-2005, 12:15 AM
Well it finds 18 million pages with your search, and 19 million with just "Final Fantasy XII". I don't think Google does boolean – it always does an implicit AND.

It should do or according to their search information pages (http://www.google.co.uk/help/refinesearch.html) however saying that "12" will probably be omitted as I don't think Google pays any attention to numbers. Perhaps +12 would do the trick. And how many people are actually going to write twelve?

Anyway it was a stupid example by me :blush:.

Tiggerbabe
11th-October-2005, 12:28 AM
Anyway it was a stupid example by me :blush:.
Thank goodness you said so, I thought it was just me :whistle: :wink:

Dreadful Scathe
11th-October-2005, 12:57 PM
naked ceroc babes

click
click
click

hang on..this isnt the search box

Franck
17th-October-2005, 05:06 PM
Why's that? :confused:

As Ducasi mentioned, each style needs to be edited manually to add the new feature which is very time consuming. I might add it at a later time, in fact, I might look at some new styles / colours to fit the new software, but just now, back from holiday and the BFG just a few days ahead, I'm a bit snowed under! It should be easy enough to switch briefly to check what rep you've given.

Sadly, this is not an easy fix at the moment. I'll keep looking into it after the BFG though. In the meantime, as a Silver member you can get PM receipts provided you remember to tick the box before sending the PM! :nice:

I have also fixed the moving avatar option, so it should all be back to normal!

Minnie M
17th-October-2005, 05:09 PM
Why are is the 'pm' messages not available from profiles but you can still send by the 'drop-down' options on the name from a post:confused:

I have had REP from a new forumite, and can't reply as he hasn't made a post yet :tears:

El Salsero Gringo
17th-October-2005, 05:20 PM
Why are is the 'pm' messages not available from profiles but you can still send by the 'drop-down' options on the name from a post:confused:

I have had REP from a new forumite, and can't reply as he hasn't made a post yet :tears:You can always type in his name by hand.

Minnie M
17th-October-2005, 06:00 PM
You can always type in his name by hand.

Sorry didn't make myself very clear :-

How do you send a PM to a forumite when they do not have the option on their profile ? other than .... via their name on a post :confused:

azande
17th-October-2005, 06:03 PM
Via your User CP, on the left you have a list of options, one of these is Send New Message, you just need to type their name in the Recipient field.

SilverFox
17th-October-2005, 06:07 PM
You can always type in his name by hand.Or you can click 'Send PM' from the Members List.:flower:

Minnie M
17th-October-2005, 06:30 PM
Or you can click 'Send PM' from the Members List.:flower:
:yeah::cheers: Just worked that one out - thanks :kiss: :hug:

The person is Frenchie - if you look at his profile, you will notice he doesn't have the option to send a PM - but as SF has said above, have sent one now via the Members List :clap:

there are a few forumites who have lost this option on their profile :confused: although you can still send a PM through other options

Minnie M
17th-October-2005, 06:34 PM
Via your User CP, on the left you have a list of options, one of these is Send New Message, you just need to type their name in the Recipient field.
did that and got:-

Sorry. The email function has been disabled by the administrator.

ducasi
17th-October-2005, 06:44 PM
I have also fixed the moving avatar option, so it should all be back to normal! Still doesn't work for me... :sad:

Tiggerbabe
17th-October-2005, 07:50 PM
The person is Frenchie - if you look at his profile, you will notice he doesn't have the option to send a PM
Could be that he has chosen not to receive pms Minnie, some members don't want to receive them (or e-mails) - it's their choice. :)

Minnie M
17th-October-2005, 07:59 PM
Could be that he has chosen not to receive pms Minnie, some members don't want to receive them (or e-mails) - it's their choice. :)
I have sent him an email now, via the members list. Does this mean even if you wish not to have emails, they can still be sent via this method :o

Hope he joins in with posting, nice to have another Frenchman on the forum, this one has a french accent :cool:

ducasi
17th-October-2005, 09:15 PM
Any idea why I'm not invited to send myself an email on my profile (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/member.php?u=1306)?

(Or anyone else for that matter...)

I've got the option turned on to allow it...

Clive Long
17th-October-2005, 11:09 PM
Still getting intermittently .....

When Create new thread or reply

Looks like I AM signed on See top RH corner of home page

Click SUBMIT thread / post button

"Please log on dialog" appears

Lose (or should that be loose, SF? :devil: ) text typed in (unless tab back and copy contents of beautifully crafted post)

I'm sure I'm accessing via "www.cerocscot...." not "cerocscot..." following Ducasi's tip.

CRL - confuzzed

ducasi
17th-October-2005, 11:37 PM
Um... are you logged in with the "remember me" option? If not, and you take over 15 minutes to compose your message you could have been logged out in the meantime...

You could also try opening a buddy list window which I think will keep you logged in while it is open.

Gadget
18th-October-2005, 12:51 AM
so does the "Who's Online" page (I think ... it used to in the old version of the software anyway)

ducasi
18th-October-2005, 07:36 AM
Yep, it does...

Clive Long
18th-October-2005, 07:49 AM
Um... are you logged in with the "remember me" option? If not, and you take over 15 minutes to compose your message you could have been logged out in the meantime...

You could also try opening a buddy list window which I think will keep you logged in while it is open.
Interesting

I thought that meant "when you come back to the Home Page, the user name field will be auto-filled."

This auto-fill did used to happen with the old software and does(?) happen when I use URL "ceroocscot ...." - but I need to do systematic checks to test that.

I'm sure I have "checked" the "Remember me" button with the new software and URL "www.cerocscot..." but when I clcose and re-open the Home Page the "remember ME" button is unchecked and the field does not contain my userid.

However, there seems to be a cookie(?) that remembers my user name but only when I start typing C-L-I-...

The weird thing from my perspective is the top RH corner of every page shows I am signed on because of the line "Welcome, Clive Long" - but when I try to submit a new thread I'm not signed on - that's the issue for me - and has only started with the new version of bulleting board software.

CRL

ducasi
18th-October-2005, 08:18 AM
I thought that meant "when you come back to the Home Page, the user name field will be auto-filled." Nope, not in this case (though other web sites do mean that.) I'm fairly sure it means "log me in automatically when I return to this web site." I never explicitly log out of the forum (by hitting the "Log Out" button) and when I come back 60 hours later I am welcomed back without having to type my username and password.

This auto-fill did used to happen with the old software and does(?) happen when I use URL "ceroocscot ...." - but I need to do systematic checks to test that. I think this might be your browser auto-filling the field, rather than the web site.

I'm sure I have "checked" the "Remember me" button with the new software and URL "www.cerocscot..." but when I clcose and re-open the Home Page the "remember ME" button is unchecked and the field does not contain my userid. This is probably the web site not ticking and filling these fields.

However, there seems to be a cookie(?) that remembers my user name but only when I start typing C-L-I-... When you manually log out all cookies are cleared, so the web site doesn't know who you are when you come back. The auto-completion when you are typing your name is probably your browser, but it might just be the web site as it now has a similar auto-completion feature when typing user names in the search and send PM pages... Though it doesn't seem to do immediate auto-completion, but just offer a menu of possibilities that you then have to click on...

The weird thing from my perspective is the top RH corner of every page shows I am signed on because of the line "Welcome, Clive Long" - but when I try to submit a new thread I'm not signed on - that's the issue for me - and has only started with the new version of bulleting board software. When I've seen this before I think it was because I had a cookie problem... Did you try logging out and then verifying that all related cookies had been erased?

azande
18th-October-2005, 08:21 AM
Interesting

I thought that meant "when you come back to the Home Page, the user name field will be auto-filled."
This is a browser feature not a forum one.

I'm sure I have "checked" the "Remember me" button with the new software and URL "www.cerocscot..." but when I clcose and re-open the Home Page the "remember ME" button is unchecked and the field does not contain my userid.
This would indicate that you actually haven't checked the box. If you did it would log you in automatically via a cookie.

However, there seems to be a cookie(?) that remembers my user name but only when I start typing C-L-I-...Nope, this is still a browser related feature.

The weird thing from my perspective is the top RH corner of every page shows I am signed on because of the line "Welcome, Clive Long" - but when I try to submit a new thread I'm not signed on - that's the issue for me - and has only started with the new version of bulleting board software.

CRL

Strange. The only thing I can suggest is to actively LOG Out of the forum and log in again making sure you check the box for remembering you. Obsviously if you use two different computers you need to do the same on both, the cookie is stored locally.

Also, as was suggested before, empty cache and delete all cookies before doing any of this.

Edit: damn, beaten to it! ;)

Minnie M
18th-October-2005, 08:33 AM
What's happened to the BLUE version:tears:

azande
18th-October-2005, 08:45 AM
I might look at some new styles / colours to fit the new software
What about....

Ambience (http://www.extremepixels.com/forum/index.php?styleid=32)
Vizion (http://www.extremepixels.com/forum/index.php?styleid=54)
Applied (http://www.extremepixels.com/forum/index.php?styleid=63)

:whistle:

ducasi
18th-October-2005, 09:16 AM
"Applied" looks not so bad... The others... Hmm...

azande
18th-October-2005, 09:21 AM
Yes, Applied is the best of the three and I don't mind Ambience. I just tried to find some light coloured ones. There's plenty black or bdark blue but I don't find them very easy on the eye...

LMC
18th-October-2005, 09:34 AM
The blue was good as it actually looks like you might be working :whistle: I miss it :tears:

The metallic doesn't really have enough contrast, I liked the black text on the pale background.

The orange just makes my corneas peel - sorry!

azande, the three that you have suggested look OK colour-wise but have quite small fonts - I kinda like the 10 point default on the Basic Blue.

El Salsero Gringo
18th-October-2005, 04:21 PM
Could we have a *really* *really* simple black and white one - like the orange but without the orange?

ChrisA
18th-October-2005, 04:23 PM
Could we have a *really* *really* simple black and white one - like the orange but without the orange?
"Subtle blue" isn't far off that.

El Salsero Gringo
18th-October-2005, 04:35 PM
"Subtle blue" isn't far off that.It's horrid. All that shading, and where are my nice crisp black lines and boxes?

And BLUE??? For goodness sakes.

Dreadful Scathe
18th-October-2005, 04:46 PM
And BLUE??? For goodness sakes.

Oi ! Watch it donkey boy :)

I like the Apple White myself, I couldnt possibly change it now - to used to it.

Franck
18th-October-2005, 05:05 PM
Could we have a *really* *really* simple black and white one - like the orange but without the orange?Ok then :D Just for you, I have added the Grey style. No colour except the logo at the top, avatars and smillies... Hope you like it.

El Salsero Gringo
18th-October-2005, 05:36 PM
Ok then :D Just for you, I have added the Grey style. No colour except the logo at the top, avatars and smillies... Hope you like it.Thank you very much. It would be lovely, if only all the backgrounds were white (except where the text is white, then they should be black.) See, I'm a Forum skin snob!

PS I'm using it now to compose this reply, and the reply box (starts just under the "Message:" text) still has the Orange skin pale orange background.

Minnie M
18th-October-2005, 05:39 PM
The Apple White is really nice and very clear - if I wasn't used to the Blue I could be tempted :D

Gojive
18th-October-2005, 05:55 PM
[MIS-READING GLASSES ON]...

{snip...} See, I'm a Forum skin snob!

[/MIS-READING GLASSES OFF]

I was just going to suggest that, but I couldn't find any hard evidence. It was all purely circumsizional :na:

....I'll just get my hoodie, then I'll be off

El Salsero Gringo
18th-October-2005, 05:59 PM
[MIS-READING GLASSES ON]...

[/MIS-READING GLASSES OFF]

I was just going to suggest that, but I couldn't find any hard evidence. It was all purely circumsizional :na:

....I'll just get my hoodie, then I'll be off{insert crass joke of your choice about rubbing me up the wrong way}

LMC
18th-October-2005, 07:46 PM
With apologies to Douglas Adams...

That grey scheme is just well wicked - grey menu fonts, grey user names, grey thread titles and grey rep pips on a grey background. Even the black font looks like it might be dark grey... I'm losing the will to live... so I shall see if I can find the grey button to turn my colour scheme back to Basic Blue.

PS ESG - see what you mean about the yellow box, nearly gave me a heart attack when I hit the reply button.

Count me as another vote for the Ceroc Orange layout but in black and white :nice:

DavidY
19th-October-2005, 03:32 PM
You need to pay to edit... Franck "fixed" this oversight this morning... :wink:Does that mean that "non-Silver" members can't edit their posts?

This seems a trifle harsh to me (it never used to be like that). :(

I can see a case for only Silver members having the power to delete, but IMO the power to edit is fairly fundamental and should be there for everyone.

If all users have the ability to correct typos, it makes the forum more readable for everyone, including Silver members.

killingtime
19th-October-2005, 04:09 PM
If all users have the ability to correct typos, it makes the forum more readable for everyone, including Silver members.

Not it deosnt'

ducasi
19th-October-2005, 04:38 PM
Not it deosnt'
:rofl:

I owe you some rep for the funniest comment on the forum this week. ;)

Gadget
19th-October-2005, 08:01 PM

I owe you some rep for the funniest comment on the forum this week. ;)
Eh? :confused:

azande
19th-October-2005, 09:04 PM

ducasi
19th-October-2005, 11:48 PM
Very droll. :wink:

CJ
24th-October-2005, 01:06 PM
Q:

What does it mean if one of your "buddies" is in red bold type in your list?!?:confused:

ducasi
24th-October-2005, 02:38 PM
They're just logged on (or off?).

Icey
25th-November-2005, 03:12 PM
I've noticed that in Ceroc Orange skin I can see the rep that I've given but I can't see it in Basic Blue skin. Any ideas?

ducasi
25th-November-2005, 03:31 PM
Yep, not all styles have all features. If you stick to the Ceroc Orange and the four immediately below it, you shouldn't go far wrong.

Zebra Woman
25th-November-2005, 03:45 PM
Interesting

This auto-fill did used to happen with the old software and does(?) happen when I use URL "ceroocscot ...." - but I need to do systematic checks to test that.

However, there seems to be a cookie(?) that remembers my user name but only when I start typing C-L-I-...

CRL

I am suffering the same symptoms as Clive. I am logged out straight after submitting or even previewing a post and after sending a PM too, I use basic blue btw and I have ticked the remember me box.

It's been happening since the new software arrived. I have discovered I can go back and retrieve the post so it's not the end of the world but still a bit frustrating.

ZW