PDA

View Full Version : Calling All geeks

drathzel
4th-October-2005, 01:27 PM
I am buying a laptop and yes i need an all singing all dancing one. have decided on The Toshiba R10 101 Tablet Pentium M735 1.73GHz Laptop!

Does anyone have any major obligations before i part with £900 of my hard earned money?

:flower:

Aleks
4th-October-2005, 01:29 PM
Does anyone have any major obligations before i part with £900 of my hard earned money?

Objections?

drathzel
4th-October-2005, 01:30 PM
Objections?

well more like, any reasons why i shouldnt buy it! (ie major faults in the hard drive or something) :hug:

killingtime
4th-October-2005, 01:31 PM
I am buying a laptop and yes i need an all singing all dancing one. have decided on The Toshiba R10 101 Tablet Pentium M735 1.73GHz Laptop!

:flower:

You got a link for that?

Any particularly reason for a Tablet PC; are you hoping to use it for graphic design or just like the idea?

You might also want to take a look at this thread by Icey (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6261).

drathzel
4th-October-2005, 01:33 PM
You got a link for that?

Any particularly reason for a Tablet PC; are you hoping to use it for graphic design or just like the idea?

You might also want to take a look at this thread by Icey (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6261).

click dixons here (http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/store/dix_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0107329975.112842908 6@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccciaddflgimmhjcflgceggdhhmdfho.0&page=Product&sku=606515&category_oid=-21720&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null)

azande
4th-October-2005, 01:34 PM
well more like, any reasons why i shouldnt buy it! (ie major faults in the hard drive or something) :hug:
What, a part the fact that it is a PC? :wink:

drathzel
4th-October-2005, 01:36 PM

not predictable at all Azande!!!! :devil:

killingtime
4th-October-2005, 01:36 PM
click dixons here (http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/store/dix_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0107329975.112842908 6@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccciaddflgimmhjcflgceggdhhmdfho.0&page=Product&sku=606515&category_oid=-21720&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null)

What are you using it for?

ChrisA
4th-October-2005, 01:37 PM
Did you grammar check that on a Mac? :devil:

(and yes, to "grammar check" is hereby a legitimate verb :wink: )

drathzel
4th-October-2005, 01:37 PM

If i tell you i will have to kill you! Um for work stuff, playing music and play lists etc, broadband use also :hug:

azande
4th-October-2005, 01:39 PM
Did you grammar check that on a Mac? :devil:

(and yes, to "grammar check" is hereby a legitimate verb :wink: )
Not really... I'm at work using a pc! :na:

Dreadful Scathe
4th-October-2005, 01:40 PM
probably pr0n n w4r3z :)

drathzel
4th-October-2005, 01:41 PM
Nice to see within 6 posts we went off thread with the usual PC vrs Mac arguement!

I personally wont buy Mac, which is why i am trying to also find a Ipod subsitute! :flower:

killingtime
4th-October-2005, 01:41 PM
If i tell you i will have to kill you! Um for work stuff, playing music and play lists etc, broadband use also :hug:

Well I'm one of the Mac boys. But if you are looking for a PC and don't require it to be a tablet you can do a better for cheaper. One of my friends has one of these (http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/ho/WF06b/21675-38187-38191-38191-38191-12203226-53923275.html) that he is very happy with.

azande
4th-October-2005, 01:42 PM
which is why i am trying to also find a Ipod subsitute! :flower: That doesn't make sense because you can use an ipod with a PC as well.

Franck
4th-October-2005, 01:42 PM
Well, I'm with Azande too :wink: (predictable but right)...

For much less than £999.00 you could have a really good ibook, which would leave you extra cash to add more storage (for all that music), buy a cool remote control, get some good software (beyond the excellent stuff already included in the price), you'd not have to worry about catching a virus / spyware / etc... and it would just work!

I suggest you talk to Tiggerbabe, who invested into a Powerbook for DJ-ing and knows why it's better than the PC alternatives.

azande
4th-October-2005, 01:43 PM
Nice to see within 6 posts we went off thread with the usual PC vrs Mac arguement!Always happy to oblige :grin: !

killingtime
I personally wont buy Mac, which is why i am trying to also find a Ipod subsitute! :flower:

iPod is an Apple product but it is not a Mac. Why aren't you keen on iPods (the Nanos are so sexy). Or was it something Apple did to you?

drathzel
Well I'm one of the Mac boys. But if you are looking for a PC and don't require it to be a tablet you can do a better for cheaper. One of my friends has one of these (http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/ho/WF06b/21675-38187-38191-38191-38191-12203226-53923275.html) that he is very happy with.

yeah but i liked the idea of it being a tablet.... gimicky yes but fun! Actually i like the fact its touch screen! :flower:

killingtime
4th-October-2005, 01:45 PM
yeah but i liked the idea of it being a tablet.... gimicky yes but fun! Actually i like the fact its touch screen! :flower:

£300 is a lot of gimmick :D.

drathzel
4th-October-2005, 01:46 PM
iPod is an Apple product but it is not a Mac. Why aren't you keen on iPods (the Nanos are so sexy). Or was it something Apple did to you?

We used old apple macs at school! They were a night mare and you could never print off them! Then the coloured ones came out and they were dead tacky looking!

Did i not read somewhere that the nano was faulty?

Icey
4th-October-2005, 01:47 PM
Hi Drathzel,

I had a much smaller budget to keep to so I got the Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop which now that it's linked up with broadband and all the other software I bought it's fabulous. It's all shiny and totally, totally lovely.

I wanted mine for my college work and also for internet browsing but I'm not really a gamer, other than freecell :blush: so i didn't worry about about gaming cards or whatever the things are called. The guys (and girls) on here were very, very knowledgable so I'm sure that they will help you.

killingtime
4th-October-2005, 01:48 PM
We used old apple macs at school! They were a night mare and you could never print off them! Then the coloured ones came out and they were dead tacky looking!

I know you are young but how long ago was that? If it was in the same era as fighting with Extended and Expanded memory on the PC then Macs have come on a long way too.

One in a thousand of them had problems with the screen. Apple replaced those though. After seeing one in the flesh they are even more lovely than I thought.

azande
4th-October-2005, 01:48 PM

:rofl: :rofl: ever seen a Mac lately? :rofl: :rofl:

drathzel
4th-October-2005, 01:49 PM

For much less than £999.00 you could have a really good ibook, which would leave you extra cash to add more storage (for all that music), buy a cool remote control, get some good software (beyond the excellent stuff already included in the price), you'd not have to worry about catching a virus / spyware / etc... and it would just work!

I suggest you talk to Tiggerbabe, who invested into a Powerbook for DJ-ing and knows why it's better than the PC alternatives.

I wouldnt be paying that much! I spend enough time in airports and can get one at the tax free Dixons at Belfast Int Airport for £ 851.06!

I also am very used to all the pc applications and the way its used! I was told i would get 1000's of songs on it as well as all the other stuff (word/excel stuff and broadband) no problems

Was also told to go for pentium instead of Celeron as it burns out quicker and is more likely to crash!

drathzel
4th-October-2005, 01:50 PM
I know you are young but how long ago was that? If it was in the same era as fighting with Extended and Expanded memory on the PC then Macs have come on a long way too.

One in a thousand of them had problems with the screen. Apple replaced those though. After seeing one in the flesh they are even more lovely than I thought.

1995? When I got my wonderful Packard Bell Spectria! Oh i miss it :tears:

Dreadful Scathe
4th-October-2005, 01:51 PM

why get a tablet though ? do you really need a touch screen as well as a keyboard ?

this laptop is a better spec (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=96519) and its only £524 - nearly half the price of your fancy shmancy tablet nonsense ;).

azande
I wouldnt be paying that much! I spend enough time in airports and can get one at the tax free Dixons at Belfast Int Airport for £ 851.06! I thought you got away with not paying taxes only if you had a ticket for a country outside the EU :confused: !

drathzel
:rofl: :rofl: ever seen a Mac lately? :rofl: :rofl:

Yes, yours!!! you cheeky person! It was dead complicated to use! Definately not D friendly! :tears:

drathzel
4th-October-2005, 01:52 PM
I thought you got away with not paying taxes only if you had a ticket for a country outside the EU :confused: !

Nope the guy reassured me at the airport last night! :D

Dreadful Scathe
4th-October-2005, 01:53 PM

Yes they are being returned by the bucket load as the screen scratches extremely easily.

azande
Yes, yours!!! you cheeky person! It was dead complicated to use! Definately not D friendly! :tears:
*shakes his head resigned*

killingtime
I wouldnt be paying that much! I spend enough time in airports and can get one at the tax free Dixons at Belfast Int Airport for £ 851.06!

Including VAT?

I also am very used to all the pc applications and the way its used! I was told i would get 1000's of songs on it as well as all the other stuff (word/excel stuff and broadband) no problems

Don't worry about music storage. Most hard drives can hold a big bunch of songs.

Was also told to go for pentium instead of Celeron as it burns out quicker and is more likely to crash!

Sales people are so smart :sick:. It's really not the case. If anything I'd expect the pentium based line to run hotter and drain more power than a celeron. Both have mobile editions as far as I know that's designed to reduce this. But seriously; neither of them should explode :D.

drathzel
4th-October-2005, 01:54 PM
why get a tablet though ? do you really need a touch screen as well as a keyboard ?

this laptop is a better spec (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=96519) and its only £524 - nearly half the price of your fancy shmancy tablet nonsense ;).

WOOOSH!!!! Could someone translate the page for me please! :flower:

drathzel
4th-October-2005, 01:55 PM
Sales people are so smart :sick:. It's really not the case. If anything I'd expect the pentium based line to run hotter and drain more power than a celeron. Both have mobile editions as far as I know that's designed to reduce this. But seriously; neither of them should explode :D.

Actually this is D information, from another source!

I also need it to be wireless! :flower:

drathzel
4th-October-2005, 01:56 PM
*shakes his head resigned*
Woo Hoo! PC 1 Mac 0

Oh and did you know Bill Gates Bought part of mac out AGES ago!!!

Could that be PC 2???? :rofl:

azande
4th-October-2005, 01:58 PM
Woo Hoo! PC 1 Mac 0

Could that be PC 2???? :rofl:
:confused: :confused: I'll just let you guys deal with her, I'm going for a pint in the Den.

killingtime
4th-October-2005, 02:04 PM
Woo Hoo! PC 1 Mac 0

Could that be PC 2????

*sigh*. Apple is the company (Mac is a computer); they invested money in Apple to stop it going bust. Otherwise Windows would have had no viable competition when the anti trust lawsuit was going on. In return they ported Office to Macs. Anyway that was years ago and the state of play has changed. If anything you could say that the recent shift to an Intel chipset would make them closer the PC; though I doubt they'll be using the x86 architecture.

Anyway I think azande just gave up rather than move into an argument. After seeing someone else complain about the OSX interface because it wasn't a Windows look and feel ("where's the start menu; why are the applications in a folder") then I decided not to argue the case.

drathzel
4th-October-2005, 02:04 PM
:confused: :confused: I'll just let you guys deal with her, I'm going for a pint in the Den.

dont you just love it when they give up!

Anyway! Back on thread!

Basically i need (or would like) a laptop with lots of space for music and able to be used to work/acounts related stuff! I need it to be Oh-So-Simple to use as i am a bit clumsy! And can break things easily and need to be able to fix it myself! :flower:

killingtime
4th-October-2005, 02:05 PM

Anyway! Back on thread!

Basically i need (or would like) a laptop with lots of space for music and able to be used to work/acounts related stuff! I need it to be Oh-So-Simple to use as i am a bit clumsy! And can break things easily and need to be able to fix it myself! :flower:

It sounds like you could do with a Mac. :devil:

drathzel
4th-October-2005, 02:06 PM
It sounds like you could do with a Mac. :devil:

i said Oh-So-Simple and easily fixable!

killingtime
4th-October-2005, 02:09 PM
i said Oh-So-Simple and easily fixable!

If it doesn't break you don't need to fix it :).

If you are hoping to fix the hardware of any laptop; good luck.

drathzel
4th-October-2005, 02:14 PM
If it doesn't break you don't need to fix it :).

If you are hoping to fix the hardware of any laptop; good luck.

Basically i do not know enough about macs to fix a problem if is starts, i am were a pc is concerned! :flower:

Am wary about Macs as i dont know what i am doing with them and am likely to break it!

drathzel
4th-October-2005, 02:19 PM
Actually i didnt want it to be a war between Mac and PC I just want some help on getting a laptop :tears:

doc martin
4th-October-2005, 02:20 PM

Anyway! Back on thread!

Have a look here

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/inspn_6000?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs

The one in the middle seems to be the sort of thing that you are looking for;
Reasonable size hard disk - 60GB
Wireless LAN
Reasonable memory - 512MB
Nice widescreen monitor - 15.4"
Rewritable DVD drive

All computers with the Windows XP operating system will be the same ease (or otherwise) of use.
All laptops are easy to break, cannot be fixed yourself and are not as reliable as desktop PCs, but Dell are a reputable brand and have 1 year (return to base) maintenance.

Do you have a boradband connection?

Martin

drathzel
4th-October-2005, 02:25 PM
Have a look here

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/inspn_6000?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs

The one in the middle seems to be the sort of thing that you are looking for;
Reasonable size hard disk - 60GB
Wireless LAN
Reasonable memory - 512MB
Nice widescreen monitor - 15.4"
Rewritable DVD drive

Do you have a boradband connection?

Martin

i will be getting broadband when i move home. I have it in work and dial up at home!

Ok what does anyone else think? :flower:

drathzel
4th-October-2005, 02:27 PM
Have a look here

Martin

the price jumps up when you go to the buy bit!

killingtime
4th-October-2005, 02:33 PM
Actually i didnt want it to be a war between Mac and PC I just want some help on getting a laptop :tears:

I wasn't trying to draw it into that either. I was happy enough you not wanting a Mac but I still feel the need to defend Apple a little bit :whistle:. So you seemed to be looking at other (cheaper) options. Are you dropping the Tablet as a requirement then?

drathzel
4th-October-2005, 02:36 PM
I wasn't trying to draw it into that either. I was happy enough you not wanting a Mac but I still feel the need to defend Apple a little bit :whistle:. So you seemed to be looking at other (cheaper) options. Are you dropping the Tablet as a requirement then?

I think the tablet is cool but you all seem to want to put me off it so i am looking into alternatives. I suppose it is a bit stupid to pay the money for a fancy bit! My only defence was that the other laptops i looked at were about the same for a roughly same price.

I kinda wanted something a bit cool if i was going to have to spend the money on a laptop! :flower:

killingtime
4th-October-2005, 02:39 PM
I kinda wanted something a bit cool if i was going to have to spend the money on a laptop! :flower:

Oh drathzel; you tell us not to turn it into a debate and then you say things like this. :eek:

drathzel
4th-October-2005, 02:41 PM
Oh drathzel; you tell us not to turn it into a debate and then you say things like this. :eek:

:yum:

doc martin
4th-October-2005, 03:49 PM
the price jumps up when you go to the buy bit!
I think this is a c*ck up on their site. It looks like the £849 offer ends tomorrow, so possibly then the £692 will kick in. Can't be sure but it seems likely. Also noticed that there is a free upgrade to 1024MB of RAM included.

If you thought it was interesting at this price, I would contact them and ask.

Another point on the tablets. Anything where you are poking at a soft plastic screen is bound to get scratched/broken.

Gojive
4th-October-2005, 04:03 PM
I think this is a c*ck up on their site. It looks like the £849 offer ends tomorrow, so possibly then the £692 will kick in. Can't be sure but it seems likely. Also noticed that there is a free upgrade to 1024MB of RAM included.

If you thought it was interesting at this price, I would contact them and ask.

Another point on the tablets. Anything where you are poking at a soft plastic screen is bound to get scratched/broken.

The reason for the apparent price increase, is because if you scroll down a bit, you'll see they've 'conveniently' opted to give you their "We don't think our machine will last longer than one year, so you pay us for an extra 3 yr guarantee" option :mad: . Tick the basic 1yr option, scroll to the bottom and click "Update Price" and you'll come back to the original amount :)

drathzel
4th-October-2005, 04:22 PM

This is true and my only draw back! I still think the Tablet is cool tho!

By the way, are dell really all that good? Have heard Bad reports! and what do you get with them? ie software?

drathzel
4th-October-2005, 04:28 PM
The reason for the apparent price increase, is because if you scroll down a bit, you'll see they've 'conveniently' opted to give you their "We don't think our machine will last longer than one year, so you pay us for an extra 3 yr guarantee" option :mad: . Tick the basic 1yr option, scroll to the bottom and click "Update Price" and you'll come back to the original amount :)

where is this? am i missing it? :flower:

Gojive
4th-October-2005, 04:34 PM
where is this? am i missing it? :flower:

Assuming we're both looking at the same price page :) ....

Click on the 'Customise and Buy' button for your chosen machine. Top of the page, should be headed 'Base'. Scroll down...The next is 'Microsoft Operating System', and the next 'Cover it with Dell Support Services'. Under this section, you'll see they've filled in the 'Dell recommended' option for you (3yr cover). The option immediately above that, is the basic 1yr option, which if ticked instead, will subtract £152.74 from the base price, bringing it back to £548.

:)

drathzel
4th-October-2005, 04:39 PM
Assuming we're both looking at the same price page :) ....

Click on the 'Customise and Buy' button for your chosen machine. Top of the page, should be headed 'Base'. Scroll down...The next is 'Microsoft Operating System', and the next 'Cover it with Dell Support Services'. Under this section, you'll see they've filled in the 'Dell recommended' option for you (3yr cover). The option immediately above that, is the basic 1yr option, which if ticked instead, will subtract £152.74 from the base price, bringing it back to £548.

:)

I'm looking at the £692 one, but its in the sameplace thanks!

So do we have any views on this one! Really people i am completely hopeless at all this techie stuff! :sick:

killingtime
4th-October-2005, 04:51 PM

So do we have any views on this one! Really people i am completely hopeless at all this techie stuff! :sick:

Looks alright (for a PC :D ). I think you'll like the widescreen display. Strangely it only has a 802.11b card in it (the wireless card) which is the slower standard. However since most wireless routers support b/g hybrid then you can just connect at the slower speed (which is faster than the fastest broadband connection you'll generally see at home anyway). A gigabyte of RAM is nice :).

It doesn’t state how many USB connectors it has or anything but I’m just going to assume it has 2 USB 2.0 connectors and a Firewire connector anyway. You don’t see the latter being used that much as an exclusive type anymore anyway.

doc martin
4th-October-2005, 04:52 PM
This is true and my only draw back! I still think the Tablet is cool tho!

By the way, are dell really all that good? Have heard Bad reports! and what do you get with them? ie software?
Well, a lot of friends and colleagues use laptops, from Dell, Toshiba and others. All I can say is that there is a much higher fault rate with all of them than with a desktop PC. But if you have to use it in more than one location, then you don't have much choice.

AFAIK they all have much the same components inside. Maybe the manufacturing is better on some but I doubt it varies that much. I have to say that my experience is that most electronic goods that you buy today are poorly made and seem to break down the minute the warranty has expired.

Most likely it is down to luck.

In terms of software, not a huge amount, but then again if you have broadband you can get all the things you need on open source. For instance I use open office instead of microsoft office. Just as good IMO, but free. What other sorts of software do you use?

One word of caution though, if you are going to download software... get a virus checker installed before you connect via broadband for the first time. If you don't your brand new machine will be chokka with viruses in less than the time it takes to download a free antivirus package (such as AVG).

Dreadful Scathe
4th-October-2005, 04:53 PM

This is after my previous post that quoted a 3000 sempron acer laptop for £524 - do you lot even pay attention ;)

I'd recommend it - better spec than the Dell nonsense :)

drathzel
4th-October-2005, 05:02 PM
It doesn’t state how many USB connectors it has or anything but I’m just going to assume it has 2 USB 2.0 connectors and a Firewire connector anyway. You don’t see the latter being used that much as an exclusive type anymore anyway.

What?? :confused: :confused: :confused:

killingtime
4th-October-2005, 05:09 PM
What?? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I said: It probably has some connections for other devices; like mice and cameras. It's cool :waycool:.

drathzel
4th-October-2005, 05:46 PM
This is after my previous post that quoted a 3000 sempron acer laptop for £524 - do you lot even pay attention ;)

Yeah but no one simplified it for me :tears:

doc martin
4th-October-2005, 06:41 PM

Not sure that it is a better spec. There is only half the RAM and I am not sure about the wireless connection, which seems to be a requirement for Drathzel. On the page you link to it says Mini-PCI 802.11b/g wireless network connection (manufacturing) option. Does that mean you can pay extra as an option or that this option is installed? If it does come in the price, then it probably is a better deal, although there is no mention of any warranty.

Lynn
4th-October-2005, 06:56 PM
All this stuff (from guys who have presumably ventured out of the Den lured by the 'geek' title *ducks* :wink: ) - what about the important stuff?

So D - what colour are you going for? :whistle:

doc martin
4th-October-2005, 07:10 PM
:eek: :rofl: I didn't dare say that

frodo
4th-October-2005, 07:21 PM
Looks alright (for a PC :D ). I think you'll like the widescreen display. Strangely it only has a 802.11b card in it (the wireless card) which is the slower standard. However since most wireless routers support b/g hybrid then you can just connect at the slower speed (which is faster than the fastest broadband connection you'll generally see at home anyway). A gigabyte of RAM is nice :).

Four USB ports.

A previous post on the subject
http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showpost.php?p=148492&postcount=35

Apart from the touch screen Tablet PC's have a better version of Windows XP, and the price isn't bad for a tablet PC.

The Toshiba PC will also probably come with the One-Note note taking application which works well with the touch screen.

A tablet PC is also likely to be lighter. I wish I could justify buying one.

Dreadful Scathe
4th-October-2005, 10:08 PM
Not sure that it is a better spec. There is only half the RAM and I am not sure about the wireless connection, which seems to be a requirement for Drathzel. On the page you link to it says Mini-PCI 802.11b/g wireless network connection (manufacturing) option. Does that mean you can pay extra as an option or that this option is installed? If it does come in the price, then it probably is a better deal, although there is no mention of any warranty.

Its a standard Acer laptop - you can find it elsewhere too. Wireless is standard. Fair enough on the memory special offer but i doubt Drathzel would notice the difference between 512 and 1gb. As for warranty , every manufacturer must legally have a 1 year warranty anyway. Anyway, choices are good. :)

I have a tablet pc I could sell Drathzel , it runs slackware linux though :).

Whitebeard
4th-October-2005, 10:49 PM
All this stuff (from guys who have presumably ventured out of the Den lured by the 'geek' title *ducks* :wink: ) - what about the important stuff?

Have you seen the one that's Ferrari branded??? Wow!!!!

[You'd be lucky to retain possession of one of those for long.]

ducasi
4th-October-2005, 11:24 PM
Have you seen the one that's Ferrari branded??? It makes a Ferrari engine sound when it's turned on. :rolleyes: :rofl:

But Mac fans... I was talking to D. tonight, and she may yet make the right decision... :flower:

I'd say the choice should be made on what you want to do with it... If there are things that you can only do on a PC, then buy a PC...

I'd steer well clear of tablets – the ones I've encountered have been very unreliable...

drathzel
5th-October-2005, 09:17 AM

FRANCK!!!!! Not finding the link here! shall try apple online!:hug:

drathzel
5th-October-2005, 09:24 AM
But Mac fans... I was talking to D. tonight, and she may yet make the right decision... :flower:

Its soooo true:tears: am swaying to the dark side!:blush:

killingtime
5th-October-2005, 10:05 AM
FRANCK!!!!! Not finding the link here! shall try apple online!:hug:

Try http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore