PDA

View Full Version : Rebel yell

Mr Cool
1st-October-2005, 06:07 PM
Does anybody agree wth me that at £15 the Rebel Yell dance ticket only is too expensive.
Why is the cost so high? Is this value for money or explotation.
I was recently in Berlin and was charged only 4 euro for a Tango dance (nice venue great msic) (I admit it was midweek) but what a contrast. what is a realistic price for a dance? I think Dancers should vote with there feet. :waycool: :waycool: :waycool: :waycool:

El Salsero Gringo
1st-October-2005, 06:22 PM
Does anybody agree wth me that at £15 the Rebel Yell dance ticket only is too expensive.
I was recently in Berlin and was charged only 4 euro for a Tango dance (nice venue great msic) (I admit it was midweek) but what a contrast. what is a realistic price for a dance? I think Dancers should vote with there feet. :waycool: :waycool: :waycool: :waycool:Can't speak for RY in particular, but have you ever looked at the (phenomenal) price of hiring a large, accessible, good condition hall suitable for dancing in, on a Saturday night? Throw in the costs for DJ, door staff and whatever and divide by the number of dancers. Then consider the time the organiser spends promoting, arranging, plutzing, and so on. Are they not also entitled to earn a living?

David Bailey
1st-October-2005, 09:13 PM
Can't speak for RY in particular, but have you ever looked at the (phenomenal) price of hiring a large, accessible, good condition hall suitable for dancing in, on a Saturday night? Throw in the costs for DJ, door staff and whatever and divide by the number of dancers. Then consider the time the organiser spends promoting, arranging, plutzing, and so on. Are they not also entitled to earn a living?
Of course - and £15 for a full night's entertainment is nothing compared to the costs of pubbing or clubbing it for a Saturday night.

On the other hand, Daventry next Saturday is only a tenner, and Hipsters last night (in West London, not a cheap area) was £7. So £15 might seem a bit much, especially as they've already hired the place for the workshops.

However, there are two rooms, plus cabarets etc I presume.

I dunno, £15 seems a bit much, but not really extortionate. £20 would be too much, for me, and £10 would be good value...

Tiggerbabe
1st-October-2005, 10:19 PM
especially as they've already hired the place for the workshops.
I'll hazzard a guess that the managers/owners of the venue aren't throwing in the evening hire free of charge :eek:

El Salsero Gringo
2nd-October-2005, 01:05 AM
It's also true (to some extent) that the more people pay for something, the more inclined they are to see the value in it. So perhaps people are determined to have a better time when the tickets cost more?

stewart38
2nd-October-2005, 03:33 AM
I also noted (I was there) a pint of lemonade and lime has gone from £2.20 to £3 !!! :sad:

Dan Hudson
2nd-October-2005, 11:15 AM
my view is,... that if the party tickets for these weekend events are too cheap, everyone will come to the party and nobody to the workshops. :sick:

I think the idea is to get people going all day not just in the evening.... :D

I am not sure of the prices but an example would be £20 for all day inc workshops, but £15 just for the evening...

= Ooh result, for only £5 more I can get all these workshops... cue lots of people coming all day :clap:

£3.00 for a lemonade is a bit steep tho :what: :angry: ... problem is, us organisers generally don't get a say in the bar prices :sad:

moral of the story.. drink lager its cheaper than lemonade :whistle: :cheers:

Icey
2nd-October-2005, 11:35 AM
My inital thought was that £15 was a little more expensive than usual but I know that I've always had a good evening at Woking so I paid up. I had a truly fabulous night and I wish I could have gone for the workshops too.

The evening will stay with me for a long time, well worth the £15 IMO.

DavidB
2nd-October-2005, 11:43 AM
I work on the basis of £3:00 per hour for freestyle. I got 4 hours of freestyle last night, so to pay just £3 extra for 2 superb cabarets was good value for money.

Cruella
2nd-October-2005, 03:42 PM
On a personal note i didn't think it was worth the two hour drive and 15 quid. (Plus my purse went missing with another 20 in it :tears: ) The Cabarets were excellent. The WCS room had some awesome dancers in it. Which made me feel i wasn't good enough to ask for many dances. But was great watching the 'experts'. But in my opinion the main room was too crowded got kicked and shoved around so many times! Unfortunately wasn't too impressed with the music in that room either. Hence i kept going upstairs to the WCS room to watch and get the occasional dance. The usual complaint of sooo many extra women was the worst though. I'll stop wingeing now but all in all a disappointing evening. The best bit was probably seeing Tessalicious and ZW falling on top of each other whilst trying out one of Simons moves. :rofl: Wish i'd had the camera out!

Russell Saxby
2nd-October-2005, 04:26 PM
The usual complaint of sooo many extra women was the worst though.

..... :confused: :confused: :confused: but what is the answer???

As you know we limit numbers at our party nights ensuring plenty of room to dance. We try to get an even balance of men and women by allocating the tickets.

With just a couple of weeks to go, I can tell you that twice as many women have bought tickets than men :tears: And I guarantee the men that leave it too the last minute will want to bring a lady with them :mad:

It would be sooooooo much easier to throw open the doors and have a free for all, crowd the venue out and rake the money in.

Anyways enough whinging. I am gonna chill out and watch an episode of the West Wing :worthy:

Cruella
2nd-October-2005, 04:38 PM
..... :confused: :confused: :confused: but what is the answer???

As you know we limit numbers at our party nights ensuring plenty of room to dance. We try to get an even balance of men and women by allocating the tickets.

With just a couple of weeks to go, I can tell you that twice as many women have bought tickets than men :tears: And I guarantee the men that leave it too the last minute will want to bring a lady with them :mad:

It would be sooooooo much easier to throw open the doors and have a free for all, crowd the venue out and rake the money in.

Anyways enough whinging. I am gonna chill out and watch an episode of the West Wing :worthy:
And in my opinion the Greenwich freestyle i attended was fab partly because of the equal numbers. It really isn't great for either sex if there are loads more ladies. The women complain that they don't get enough dances and the men complain that they don't get a breather or chance to choose who they want to dance with! Women do tend to get their tickets earlier because they are concerned that the tickets will sell out as there are so many more female dancers. Whereas the men are more relaxed about it for the same reason.

David Franklin
2nd-October-2005, 04:56 PM
Women do tend to get their tickets earlier because they are concerned that the tickets will sell out as there are so many more female dancers. Whereas the men are more relaxed about it for the same reason.You sure it's not just the men are generally incapable of organising a bun-fight in a bakery? (Guilty :blush: ).

Toots
2nd-October-2005, 05:41 PM
RE: RY Oct 1st..... Well I taxi in Woking on a monday and many of the beginners came just for the evening and they all said it was worth every penny and they had a ball!! They were all blown away by the caberet but were disappointed not to see Adam and Taz or Dan and Christie who are also fanastic to watch.

David Bailey
2nd-October-2005, 07:11 PM
On a personal note i didn't think it was worth the two hour drive and 15 quid.
That's the point, isn't it?

I'd happily pay £15 - or for that matter, £30 - if I knew it was going to be a great night. But if I didn't know, I might think it a little steep. And if I didn't like it at all, I'd have felt ripped-off.

So, all we gotta do is find a night we know is going to be great, and go to that. :innocent:

Maybe I should find one of the Ten...

Minnie M
2nd-October-2005, 07:19 PM
Why pick of Rebel Yell, there are many MJ dances who stick the name 'Ball' on their flyers and expect us punters to fork out £15 :angry:

At least at Rebel Yell, you got top DJs JB & Greg - two rooms (both with air conditioning) the main hall is one of the best in the south, unlimited free water, a chill-out are that sells coffee, ample parking, and don't forget that amazing cabaret by professional dancers that you will NOT see elsewhere

modchick
2nd-October-2005, 07:22 PM
I was recently in Berlin and was charged only 4 euro for a Tango dance (nice venue great msic) (I admit it was midweek) but what a contrast. what is a realistic price for a dance? I think Dancers should vote with there feet. :waycool: :waycool: :waycool: :waycool:

I paid for the full workshop, mainly because I want to get to grips with WCS, have only been doing it a few months and am hooked (just not very good) :what:

A few of my friends didnt go because they felt the cost was too expensive, it is a lot of money for people who haveto travel and park - but I though it was reasonable, (I live locally tho) it had more to offer than usual saturday night venues - 2 rooms and cabaret. - as for costs of drinks, didnt buy any stuck to the water (with free glasses!) :clap:

Sarah

Icey
2nd-October-2005, 07:23 PM
I admit I am slightly biased in my view of the fab night as I experienced my first knee-trembling, heart pounding totally connected dance. I haven't been dancing very long but WOW! I was lucky enough to get another later on and it was as good at the first.

Even taking "that" dance out of the equation I had a great night. The cabaret was jaw-dropping and the WCS/Blues room was a sight to behold. I intend to one day be good enough to venture in there.

Paul F
2nd-October-2005, 10:14 PM
At least at Rebel Yell, you got top DJs JB & Greg - two rooms (both with air conditioning) the main hall is one of the best in the south, unlimited free water, a chill-out are that sells coffee, ample parking, and don't forget that amazing cabaret by professional dancers that you will NOT see elsewhere

I cant see anything wrong with £15.

These pro dancers dont come over here for nothing. To see them dance is a privilege IMO.
Coupling this with all that the venue has to offer eg. free water and two rooms (one of which being a WCS room with Sheepman :worthy: ) £15 is excellent.

spindr
2nd-October-2005, 10:44 PM
Hmmm, the RAC reckon that Swindon to Woking is ~138 miles -- with the price of petrol what it is, maybe the £15 for the ticket is the least of your worries?

SpinDr.

Minnie M
2nd-October-2005, 11:08 PM
Can someone please Harperlink this thread to the thread about dance costings please, can't remember what it was called (Maybe Martin could help, please)

Personally I think £15 is far too much for any dance and when you add your petrol cost on that plus a drink or two at the bar :eek: :eek: :eek:
However that is a general statement and does not reflect on the event or the event overheads - were's that Harperlink :rolleyes:

LMC
2nd-October-2005, 11:38 PM
Was this (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3235) the one you were thinking of Minnie?

Minnie M
3rd-October-2005, 08:00 AM
Was this (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3235) the one you were thinking of Minnie?
:yeah: Thanks Sandre

Cruella
3rd-October-2005, 08:36 AM
Why pick of Rebel Yell, there are many MJ dances who stick the name 'Ball' on their flyers and expect us punters to fork out £15 :angry:

Don't get me wrong Minnie. I said on a personal note i didn't have a good evening. The fact that i lost my purse with 20 quid made it a very expensive night for me. The cost of a 200 mile round trip and 15pounds to get in. Altogether it was not worth it. Had i been local and paid to get in i probably wouldn't have moaned about it. I went purely to see Kyle and Sarah and was not disappointed :worthy: The WCS room was fantastic and would have stayed up there all evening, but i felt totally out of my depth as there were so many fab dancers and didn't want to force myself on the guys that would so prefer to dance with someone more competent than myself at WCS. Maybe if i can get some more practice in, next year i'll be happier to ask more dancers.
I was very surprised with the announcement of Cerocs first weekender being the same weekend as Blackpool comp! ( a bit naughty in my opinion)

stewart38
3rd-October-2005, 09:28 AM
Don't get me wrong Minnie. I said on a personal note i didn't have a good evening. The fact that i lost my purse with 20 quid made it a very expensive night for me. The cost of a 200 mile round trip and 15pounds to get in. Altogether it was not worth it. Had i been local and paid to get in i probably wouldn't have moaned about it. I went purely to see Kyle and Sarah and was not disappointed :worthy: The WCS room was fantastic and would have stayed up there all evening, but i felt totally out of my depth as there were so many fab dancers and didn't want to force myself on the guys that would so prefer to dance with someone more competent than myself at WCS. Maybe if i can get some more practice in, next year i'll be happier to ask more dancers.
I was very surprised with the announcement of Cerocs first weekender being the same weekend as Blackpool comp! ( a bit naughty in my opinion)

Well I had a great evening and there were some excellent dancers there

With two rooms and a chill out area and what 500 dancers ? and caberet (which lates face it was a pleasent change from the 'hat' routine) I think £15 was just about right.

Didnt feel out of my depth in WCS room and C a better dancer then me and ive never danced WCS :sick:

Didnt even think the main room was over crowded . I think there were a few extra women but not excessively so

Special thanks with dances with ZW and Minnie M for the dance/dances

Re the music 'set' up to caberet was good then a very odd 'set' of tunes up to 12.20 when the final straw was the theme tune from the south bank show. After prompting I asked the DJ if he could play Jive music, I assume others asked as it seemed to improve after that

Over all 8/10

Gojive
3rd-October-2005, 10:14 AM
My experience of this year's RY....

The classes:

Simon's Aussie moves (1st class) - I quite enjoyed this, and felt it pitched at just the right level for the first class of the day. A nice easy, but interesting warm up :)

Paul and Natasha's Lindy - I did both their classes, and really enjoyed them. I managed to finally execute (probably the best word in the circumstances) both a Lindy Turn, and a Lindy Circle in the beginners class, for the first time ever. I found their intermediate class very challenging (but then I'm still a Lindy beginner!), but with much smaller numbers taking part, we got some great one-on-one advice. They are a lovely couple, and IMO held the two classes very well indeed. Paul in particular, was very helpful in sorting out some of the messes I was getting into! :)

Howard and Nicola's Flashy Moves - I loved this class! I will certainly be putting some of these moves into my routine...or at least my clumsy versions of the moves :blush:

Dan and Christie's Charleston - Simply fun, fun, fun all the way, and well worth doing. Christie's enthusiasm for the dance, was infectious, and lit up the whole class :worthy:

The evening freestyle

I ventured up to the WCS swing room to start with, but my heart sank when I saw so nobody doing MJ (that I could see) :tears: . Yes, I know it's the WCS room, but I love the music and wanted to dance to it :tears: So I trudged downstairs to the sardine room, and tried to find an inch or two in which to compress my dance into (actually, there was a little more space by the stage, with some pretty decent floorcraft being demonstrated for a change :) ). There was no way I was going to fight my way back upstairs, so here I stayed for the rest of the evening. The music was fair before the cabaret, but as Stewart said, after the cabaret and up to 12:20ish, it left me utterly uninspired (sorry JB). The last half hour however, was much more like it, and at least I finished the evening with a flourish!

The cabaret

Kyle and Sarah were fantastic, the solo guy (Glenn) was different, but highly interesting, and the 12 year old girl freestyling with Kyle was lovely! - a future cabaret star there I reckon!

The forumites

I missed almost all of you, and certainly never dance (to my knowledge) with any of the ladies :tears: . I managed a quick hello to Tessaliscious, a brief intro to Stewart38, a quick hello to Minnie, and a short but lovely chat with RK (always a pleasure to talk to you Richard :cheers: )....and that was about it, except for - my apologies to Zebra Woman for startling you :) You may remember standing near the water table, and someone going past you onto the dance floor saying "Next dance Allison" or something like that. I don't think you knew who I was, or how I knew your name - plus the words that came out of my mouth were not quite the way I intended to ask you for a dance later :blush: :blush: :flower:

Overall though, I had a great day's worth of classes, and a fair evening of freestyle. I'll be there again next year :cheers:

stewart38
3rd-October-2005, 10:26 AM
My experience of this year's RY....

The evening freestyle

I ventured up to the WCS swing room to start with, but my heart sank when I saw so nobody doing MJ (that I could see) :tears: . Yes, I know it's the WCS room, but I love the music and wanted to dance to it :tears: So I trudged downstairs to the sardine room, and tried to find an inch or two in which to compress my dance into (actually, there was a little more space by the stage, with some pretty decent floorcraft being demonstrated for a change :) ). There was no way I was going to fight my way back upstairs, so here I stayed for the rest of the evening. The music was fair before the cabaret, but as Stewart said, after the cabaret and up to 12:20ish, it left me utterly uninspired (sorry JB). The last half hour however, was much more like it, and at least I finished the evening with a flourish!

The cabaret

Kyle and Sarah were fantastic, the solo guy (Glenn) was different, but highly interesting, and the 12 year old girl freestyling with Kyle was lovely! - a future cabaret star there I reckon!

Well all i did in WCS room was MJ and im glad at the time i didnt 'know' people were doing other things

I got no complaints no difficult dances and even a couple of dances with a few (who was that lady in all white she was a fab dancer )

Danced at front down stairs and didnt think it was that crowded but again that was near the front

Zebra Woman
3rd-October-2005, 02:11 PM
I came down for the evening only with Cruella.

The Cabaret was amazingly brilliant, especially young Margaret. :worthy: :worthy:

All in all, not one of my best nights out. Main room music was too brisk too poppy and too reminiscent of Hipsters for my taste. I think the track Stewart38 didn't like was the Film 98 theme tune not Southbank show. It's called 'I wish I knew'. I quite like it.

Loved watching the wcs dancing and the loved upstairs music which was very skillfully chosen IMO. Well done Greg and Jon. Sadly there were more than 20 beautiful competent WCS women spare and sitting on the stage watching/ waiting to dance. I didn't feel brave enough to ask as my WCS is now terrible.

I had only 24.5 dances in the whole evening (1.5 of them were wcs). Didn't even break sweat. Ate a lot of chocolate. I would only return if the numbers were more balanced I'm afraid. I re-read that 'gettin a look in' thread when I got home.... :rofl:

That said, all the dances I did have were great :clap: . Sorry GoJive, I don't think I heard you - I will have those dances next time.

Special thanks to the girls this time - Sparkles :drool: , Tessalicious :drool: and Cruella... :drool:

And I learned some fab new moves too. :devil:

ZW :flower:

Cruella
3rd-October-2005, 02:41 PM
I came down for the evening only with Cruella.

Special thanks to the girls this time - Sparkles :drool: , Tessalicious :drool: and Cruella... :drool:

And I learned some fab new moves too. :devil:

And our tandem hair pull was something to write home about too. :devil:

Sheepman
3rd-October-2005, 03:38 PM
I've always thought that Rebel Yell was a bit on the expensive side, especially compared with weekenders, hence I missed the first one. :tears:
But with the quality of workshops, and especially (for me) the world's top WCS dancers teaching, the one's I've been to have been worth every penny. I've always had enlightening days, and briliant nights.
I have also been told how much that venue costs to hire, and I'm amazed that any event there can come in at under £15.
It's a shame about the gender imbalance this time around, often a problem, but it did seem to be worse than usual, especially when it seems the majority of classes I go to nowadays have extra men!
I didn't have much time for dancing, but every one I did have was :yum:

Greg

stewart38
3rd-October-2005, 03:52 PM
Loved watching the wcs dancing and the loved upstairs music which was very skillfully chosen IMO. Well done Greg and Jon. Sadly there were more than 20 beautiful competent WCS women spare and sitting on the stage watching/ waiting to dance. I didn't feel brave enough to ask as my WCS is now terrible.

I had only 24.5 dances in the whole evening (1.5 of them were wcs). Didn't even break sweat. Ate a lot of chocolate. I would only return if the numbers were more balanced I'm afraid. I re-read that 'gettin a look in' thread when I got home.... :rofl:

I've always thought that Rebel Yell was a bit on the expensive side, especially compared with weekenders, hence I missed the first one. :tears:
But with the quality of workshops, and especially (for me) the world's top WCS dancers teaching, the one's I've been to have been worth every penny. I've always had enlightening days, and briliant nights.
I have also been told how much that venue costs to hire, and I'm amazed that any event there can come in at under £15.
It's a shame about the gender imbalance this time around, often a problem, but it did seem to be worse than usual, especially when it seems the majority of classes I go to nowadays have extra men!
I didn't have much time for dancing, but every one I did have was :yum:

Greg

I didnt see any gender in balance ?? If it was only minor (it was marked at Bisley)

The WCS room had at least one jiver (slow) . I didnt see 20 extra beautiful ladies ?? Maybe 2 by the door ??

Its amazing what different people see at an event :sick:

KatieR
3rd-October-2005, 04:05 PM
I didnt see any gender in balance ?? If it was only minor (it was marked at Bisley)

The WCS room had at least one jiver (slow) . I didnt see 20 extra beautiful ladies ?? Maybe 2 by the door ??

Its amazing what different people see at an event :sick:

You obviously missed the 10 girls sitting at any one time along the stage, not to mention the 15 odd women all congregating by the door looking forlorn desperately hoping that someone might ask them for a dance... ?

Chef
3rd-October-2005, 04:08 PM
Well I had a great time.

It was my first time (we usually have a weekend of sail racing on the first weekend in October). I only went to the WCS lessons and Nigel and Ninas Advanced Jive class. I always love N&N classes and always understand something new every time I go to them. There were many other classes that I wish I could have gone to. This was an event of real class - in depth.

Kyle and Sarahs classes were utterly great. Being quite new to WCS (only six lessons with Cat) I was worried about going to their classes. They just provided such a great insight into the dance - what you needed to do, why you needed to do it, timing of everything, handholds, how to practice certain things into your body on your own,................. For me one of their lessons was worth the whole days fee. They said that they would put as much stuff as they could on the DVD (and you get this for free in the entrance price!!!). By the time we got to the final advanced class my brain was starting to fry and my partner and I stuck together so as not to inflict ourselves on the other people in the class. All of what they said made sense to me. I just feel it will take many years for me to fully put it into practice. It is such a beautiful and stylish dance that I think it will be worth the effort.

I loved the music in the WCS room in the evening and did my best with my partner and a few other people that I knew but essentially I felt embarrassed to be in there when I could see the skill level around me. For the most part I watched and felt inspired to go and practice a whole lot more.

Downstairs was heaving. I loved the floor being so fast. A real joy to dance on. The cabarets were really great but why do they never,ever, start on time? You make the trip from the WCS room at the appointed time and then hang around for another 20 minutes.

I liked Jon Bretts set (I have always liked JB when he was being JB - I don't like it when he is doing a more Ceroc style set just because I can get that anywhere).

Later on the evening it thinned out just enough on the dance floor for it to more about dancing and less about avoiding being hit by other dancers. The standard of floorcraft did, as usual, get better towards the stage, and this increased the enjoyment for me.

I can't say I noticed the over abundance of women. I certainly wasn't pounced upon by women that much (I guess I am just not that great to dance with - at least Dawn will dance with me). To me, women sitting down don't want to dance while the women standing by the side to the dance floor do. At least if I move towards a seated woman I usually find that the woman standing in front of them asks me first.

All in all, well worth the money for me almost purely from the point of view of the quality of the teachers.

Minnie M
3rd-October-2005, 04:29 PM
You obviously missed the 10 girls sitting at any one time along the stage, not to mention the 15 odd women all congregating by the door looking forlorn desperately hoping that someone might ask them for a dance... ?
:yeah: twas true :blush: :sad:
I can't complain, got my fair share of dances (had THREE with DavidB :drool:) and a luffly one with stewart38, a magic one with Will and a dreamy one with Spice'n'Easy - don't think I danced with any other forumites but lots with new guys and (ahhhhh) I had the last dance with the wonderful and amazing Kyle Redd :worthy: :yeah: :worthy: :drool: amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing :clap:

KatieR
3rd-October-2005, 04:34 PM
:yeah: twas true :blush: :sad:
I can't complain, got my fair share of dances (had THREE with DavidB :drool:) and a luffly one with stewart38, a magic one with Will and a dreamy one with Spice'n'Easy - don't think I danced with any other forumites but lots with new guys and (ahhhhh) I had the last dance with the wonderful and amazing Kyle Redd :worthy: :yeah: :worthy: :drool: amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing :clap:

Most of my great dances were at the beginning of the night when there weren't too many people there yet. One thing I found that did bother me slightly was the attitude of some of the women... ladies that I did not recognise who would come and stand right in front of me while I was waiting to ask someone to dance and then steal the person I wanted to ask to dance. :mad:

Minnie M
3rd-October-2005, 04:39 PM
......... One thing I found that did bother me slightly was the attitude of some of the women... ladies that I did not recognise who would come and stand right in front of me while I was waiting to ask someone to dance and then steal the person I wanted to ask to dance. :mad:
:yeah: :mad: Hmmm..... back to this thread (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6535)

stewart38
3rd-October-2005, 04:42 PM
:yeah:
Most of my great dances were at the beginning of the night when there weren't too many people there yet. One thing I found that did bother me slightly was the attitude of some of the women... ladies that I did not recognise who would come and stand right in front of me while I was waiting to ask someone to dance and then steal the person I wanted to ask to dance. :mad:

Im a man and if i want to dance ill walk all over the dance floors to differnet rooms and ask or different parts of room

I stood by said door for 4 mins and wasnt asked so asked myself

why do women expect different ?

Over all at the venue the gender imbalance wasnt great

How do I know that simple , i had to do more walking

stewart38
3rd-October-2005, 04:46 PM

There are no more knights in shining armour that went in the late 1950s

We never have the right horse and it wasnt white enough and the hills women put before us are to steep

Therefore do not wait 'desperately forlorn' to be saved but just ask

KatieR
3rd-October-2005, 04:49 PM
Therefore do not wait 'desperately forlorn' to be saved but just ask

Im not a knight in shining armour kind a gal... Im well aware that chivalry is dead but I dont like it when you walk up to a guy to ask them to dance, they see you, and you can visibly see their faces screw up and immediately change direction. I get fed up with it after a while and dont bother asking anymore.

stewart38
3rd-October-2005, 04:55 PM
but I dont like it when you walk up to a guy to ask them to dance, they see you, and you can visibly see their faces screw up and immediately change direction. I get fed up with it after a while and dont bother asking anymore.

Take your foot of theres ,less painful ??

I would assume as many men refuse dances as women ? Not sure maybe for another thread.

KatieR
3rd-October-2005, 05:01 PM
Take your foot of theres ,less painful ??

I would assume as many men refuse dances as women ? Not sure maybe for another thread.

Well, I dont know about women, I dont ask that many of them to dance, but its not even really a case of refusing, its an 'Im not going to even give you the opportunity to ask so therefore Im not technically refusing' kind of thing.

Minnie M
3rd-October-2005, 05:19 PM
Well, I dont know about women, I dont ask that many of them to dance, but its not even really a case of refusing, its an 'Im not going to even give you the opportunity to ask so therefore Im not technically refusing' kind of thing.

That's awful Katie :angry: I have met a couple like that, but have to say really only a couple and didn't see any on Saturday and I was asking lots of fellas to dance I had never met before - I was on such a high I just wanted to dance :clap: and the level of their dancing was from beginner to the very experienced. I even asked a couple who were sitting down (don't see that very often) mind you they were beginners

Are you sure you are not reading something which isn't really there :innocent: I feel like that sometimes on the Lindy scene, when all the dancers are so competent and I am still a beginner :sad:

KatieR
3rd-October-2005, 05:42 PM
That's awful Katie :angry: I have met a couple like that, but have to say really only a couple and didn't see any on Saturday and I was asking lots of fellas to dance I had never met before - I was on such a high I just wanted to dance :clap: and the level of their dancing was from beginner to the very experienced. I even asked a couple who were sitting down (don't see that very often) mind you they were beginners

Are you sure you are not reading something which isn't really there :innocent: I feel like that sometimes on the Lindy scene, when all the dancers are so competent and I am still a beginner :sad:

It is more than possible that I could be reading it wrong. Just undergone a huge image change so might have been feeling exceptionally precious, but really did feel quite on the outer. I suppose when you go to these things, everyone has their group of people that they hang with and dance with and sometimes I feel really intrusive if I interrupt.

Am still pretty sure that I was dodged by a few people... maybe they were frightened of my skill and sheer ability :whistle: :wink:

Mr Cool
3rd-October-2005, 07:18 PM
[QUOTE=Minnie M]Why pick of Rebel Yell, there are many MJ dances who stick the name 'Ball' on their flyers and expect us punters to fork out £15 :angry:

Minnie my concern about the high price of some free styles is not only aimed at the Rebel Yel
I have a growing concern that more and more organisers are increasing ticket prices including some very ordinary venues. Judging by the majority of the posts most people are happy to pay up I wonder what price would be too much ? :waycool: :waycool: :waycool: :waycool:

RobC
3rd-October-2005, 08:19 PM
I also noted (I was there) a pint of lemonade and lime has gone from £2.20 to £3 !!! :sad:
Yes, but orange juice and lemonade was only £2.40 - go figure.... :sick:

MartinHarper
3rd-October-2005, 11:11 PM
Its not even really a case of refusing, its an 'Im not going to even give you the opportunity to ask so therefore Im not technically refusing' kind of thing.

Lots of people do that, including many forumites.For example (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6564):

I try to do the no-eye-contact thing at my local ceroc venue when there's someone I'd rather not dance with.

Peekaboo! I don't see you!