PDA

View Full Version : Danicing in Nottingham/Mansfield area

Ickle Chick'n
1st-October-2005, 01:48 PM
I'm trying to find out where all the lovely men from Southport who dance in the Nottingham area go?! If I'm based in Mansfield I was wondering where the best venues were as I am not very familiar with the area myself.

:nice: Anyone know where I need to go?!

jivecat
1st-October-2005, 04:04 PM
Well, there's Nottingham, Marcus Garvey.
Pulse at Bulwell.
There's a venue in Rainworth, you probably already know that one.
Easy Dance at Chesterfield, Staveley.
Crookes WMC in Sheffield.
Doncaster

I'm assuming you are willing to drive for 45 minutes +.

DavidY
1st-October-2005, 05:32 PM
Well, there's Nottingham, Marcus Garvey.
Pulse at Bulwell.
There's a venue in Rainworth, you probably already know that one.
Easy Dance at Chesterfield, Staveley.
Crookes WMC in Sheffield.
Doncaster

I'm assuming you are willing to drive for 45 minutes +.I think there are also (fairly new) Ceroc clubs in Chesterfield and Sheffield, and also (from this Monday) Ceroc is reopening in Derby.

jivecat
1st-October-2005, 06:06 PM
I think there are also (fairly new) Ceroc clubs in Chesterfield and Sheffield, and also (from this Monday) Ceroc is reopening in Derby.

Oh no, Monday night clashes with Marcus Garvey. And Daventry. Don't they think about these things when choosing a night?

Ickle Chick'n
1st-October-2005, 07:20 PM
Thanks guys, no I don't know anywhere but what a lot to check out!

45+ minute drive is normal isn't it?! To travel any less would surely be such a novelty it might even take away from the dancing you've travelled to do!! :grin:

Yogi_Bear
1st-October-2005, 07:35 PM
Have a look at the listings on
UK Jive
http://www.uk-jive.co.uk/
Modern jive
http://www.modernjive.com/
Ceroc Central
http://www.ceroccentral.com/cgi-bin/public/view.cgi?template=layouts/templatehome.tpll

That should give you plenty to think about...
Ian

DavidY
1st-October-2005, 07:50 PM
Oh no, Monday night clashes with Marcus Garvey. :yeah: :sad:

It's unusual because the Derby night appears as a venue on 2 franchise's websites (Ceroc UK and Ceroc Central), so it seems it's being run under some sort of joint arrangement.

But it does mean there will be two venues running at the same time a short drive away from each other.

I think we need DavidJames to help us find the East Midlands franchise of "The Ten" to tell us which we should go to. :confused:

Yogi_Bear
1st-October-2005, 08:01 PM
:yeah: :sad:

It's unusual because the Derby night appears as a venue on 2 franchise's websites (Ceroc UK and Ceroc Central), so it seems it's being run under some sort of joint arrangement.

But it does mean there will be two venues running at the same time a short drive away from each other.

I think we need DavidJames to help us find the East Midlands franchise of "The Ten" to tell us which we should go to. :confused:
It seems a strange choice to run Derby on a Monday (maybe it was previously, don't know) as Nottingham's Monday venue is on the Derby side of Nottingham and could affect the potential numbers (Daventry is another choice for people based around Leicester, for example).

jivecat
1st-October-2005, 11:14 PM
45+ minute drive is normal isn't it?! To travel any less would surely be such a novelty it might even take away from the dancing you've travelled to do!! :grin:

I used to think this as well. Oh dear, does it mean the love affair is finally over? :tears:

DavidY
2nd-October-2005, 01:22 AM
45+ minute drive is normal isn't it?! To travel any less would surely be such a novelty it might even take away from the dancing you've travelled to do!! :grin:Not sure when you'll be in the area, but if you don't mind travelling 45+ minutes there are some freestyles worth going to. Daventry freestyles (next one on Sat 8 Oct) are usually excellent.

Ickle Chick'n
4th-October-2005, 12:03 AM
I knew moving up country would be a big advantage for dancing! i figure my job is a way of funding my jive addiction but would need a hellova job to fund that if I moved to the area perminently by the look of it! Thanks to eveyone for suggestions, I will certainly be checking them out!

Thanks again all! So excirted!

bigdjiver
4th-October-2005, 09:26 PM
Derby opened, and was well attended. Allegedly Nottingham (same night) was only a tad down on normal. Anybody at either venue care to comment?

jivecat
5th-October-2005, 12:19 PM
Derby opened, and was well attended. Allegedly Nottingham (same night) was only a tad down on normal. Anybody at either venue care to comment?

Nottingham was fine. Not quite as busy as usual, but still plenty there, and more room to dance. Met a bloke called Brian who I hadn't danced with before & had a number of very entertaining dances with him, always great when you find an previously undiscovered gem! Apparently the teacher was late, so we were allowed to go on till 11.00. Ta!
The teacher was one I hadn't encountered before, a tall, slim, blonde lady called Mairi? Very brisk class management!
A very difficult intermediate class with layback type things, that move where he has to catch the lady's knee while she dips her weight forward onto him and that thing where the lady points her toe out to the side whilst allowing the guy to pivot her around. Sorry, don't know any proper names. Caused a lot of blood, sweat and tears all round, very few people being able to do it correctly in class, let alone in freestyle.
Fab music from the regular DJ. Sorry, don't know his name, but he's obviously been listening to one too many blues sets. :grin: :flower: :drool: Mixed it in with good old Ceroc standard classics.
So how was the Derby venue? I reckon it's slightly quicker for me to drive there than MG.

DavidY
5th-October-2005, 11:08 PM
The teacher was one I hadn't encountered before, a tall, slim, blonde lady called Mairi?I think she's called Maya (not sure how you spell it but I think it rhymes with 'briar' and 'friar').
Fab music from the regular DJ. Sorry, don't know his name, but he's obviously been listening to one too many blues sets. :grin: :flower: :drool:That would be Nigel.:clap: