PDA

View Full Version : Radio 4

Trousers
30th-September-2005, 05:57 PM
Radio Four had a nice litle drama on today

It was probably only 15 mins long, it was about a couple where he danced she didn't.

As there are lots of us out there like that i decided to recommend this drama to you guys.

Tango (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/mainframe.shtml?http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/radio4_aod.shtml?radio4/afternoon_reading_fri)

The dance is tango but the story is any dance any couple.

You'll need RealPlayer

Trousers
30th-September-2005, 05:58 PM
Okay Okay Radio Four

Yes I'm an Old Fart

I also listen to SAGA hehehe

doc martin
30th-September-2005, 06:19 PM
I also listen to SAGA hehehe
Is that the station that you can only pick up on a hearing aid :rofl: :rofl:

ducasi
30th-September-2005, 07:43 PM
Radio Four had a nice litle drama on today ... Why are the wifes in these things always called Sheila? :confused:

Trousers
1st-October-2005, 02:45 AM
Did u listen to it.

If you did was it written by a dancer or what? - I reckon it was

it just smacked of every dancer-nondancer relationship I have ever seen, heard of or experienced.

I sat in the car with a warm fuzzy feeling at the end thinking YUP Know that story!
Almost I Am That Story

Good ol' Radio 4

And as to the Doc's comment - around Brum Saga plays some great music but the hearing aid does help with reception They must broadcast quietly.

ducasi
1st-October-2005, 09:57 AM
Did u listen to it.

it just smacked of every dancer-nondancer relationship I have ever seen, heard of or experienced. I listened to it... didn't particularly like it...

Thought the story was a bit obvious, and the characters a bit two-dimensional and stereotyped. And what happened to the end of the story?

I expect it was written by a woman with experience of both dancing and horse-riding (that was his earlier hobby - wasn't it?)

I haven't seen, heard of, or experienced many, if any, dancer-nondancer relationships, but as someone who loves dancing, I would try to make sure that any future partner of mine either is a dancer, or will be soon after meeting me.

Sorry for being so negative. I guess radio dramas just aren't my thing anyway. :blush:

Dancing Teeth
1st-October-2005, 12:00 PM
Did u listen to it.

it just smacked of every dancer-nondancer relationship I have ever seen, heard of or experienced.

I sat in the car with a warm fuzzy feeling at the end thinking YUP Know that story!
Almost I Am That Story

Good ol' Radio 4

And as to the Doc's comment - around Brum Saga plays some great music but the hearing aid does help with reception They must broadcast quietly.

Loved it, loved it. I listen to radio 4 most time but missed this one.

I too got that warm and fuzzy feeling and slight cloudy eyes. I was out there with Jerry, dancing away.

David Bailey
1st-October-2005, 12:06 PM
Okay Okay Radio Four

Yes I'm an Old Fart
Nothing wrong with Radio 4 - it's where the power lies, after all. Almost every politician in the country fights to get a 8.10am interview on the Today programme.

Plus, it has some seriously good comedy programmes.

Radio 1-3, now that's where there's some serious tat...

Yogi_Bear
1st-October-2005, 07:47 PM
Radio Four had a nice litle drama on today

It was probably only 15 mins long, it was about a couple where he danced she didn't.

As there are lots of us out there like that i decided to recommend this drama to you guys.

Tango (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/mainframe.shtml?http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/radio4_aod.shtml?radio4/afternoon_reading_fri)

The dance is tango but the story is any dance any couple.

You'll need RealPlayer
Interesting. Coincidentally there was an item on R4's Today programmme between 8 ande 9 this morning about the classical violinist Maxim Vengerov, who decided to take up tango. Follow the same link and choose Today, Saturday..

ElaineB
2nd-October-2005, 09:51 AM
Nothing wrong with Radio 4 - it's where the power lies, after all. Almost every politician in the country fights to get a 8.10am interview on the Today programme.

Hey, you forgot the Archers! Tum, te tum te te tum, te tum...........

Elaine

Trousers
2nd-October-2005, 11:27 AM
Hey, you forgot the Archers! Tum, te tum te te tum, te tum...........

Elaine
I try very hard to forget the Archers.

My boat is not rocked by this at all.

What about the infil music before the late night shipping broadcast 'Sailing By' - drives me demented but i hum along with it.

Oh and the Sunday night Bell ringing - That really is public service broadcasting! lol

El Salsero Gringo
2nd-October-2005, 12:10 PM
My absolute favourite part of Radio4 is the daily poetry reading after Sailing By.

You can download the text here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/coast/shipping/index.shtml) as well as listen again (with RealPlayer) here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/ukweather/av/shipping_forecast.ram).
It's always beautiful, always different.

Yogi_Bear
2nd-October-2005, 02:56 PM
Interesting. Coincidentally there was an item on R4's Today programmme between 8 ande 9 this morning about the classical violinist Maxim Vengerov, who decided to take up tango. Follow the same link and choose Today, Saturday..
There is aprogramme about Maxim Vengarov tonight (ITV, 11.10), which apparently includes him dancing the tango...I've set the video ;)

Chicklet
2nd-October-2005, 04:08 PM
Also a Radio 4 fan and proud of it.
Emma what ARE you doing with Ed???????????????????
IMHO a lot of the UK's problems could be fixed by making children listen to it regularly and LEARN stuff!!!
(oh and by banning tabloid newspapers :rofl: )

ElaineB
2nd-October-2005, 07:56 PM
Also a Radio 4 fan and proud of it.
Emma what ARE you doing with Ed???????????????????
IMHO a lot of the UK's problems could be fixed by making children listen to it regularly and LEARN stuff!!!
(oh and by banning tabloid newspapers :rofl: )

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Elaine

DavidY
4th-October-2005, 11:23 PM
Emma what ARE you doing with Ed??????????????????*re-reads Singletons' Sofa to try to understand why women discard men who would be a "sensible" choice, in favour of the unsuitable ones* :confused:

Oh and what happened to Hayley? Sounds like she doesn't work in the Office any more. :sad:

Trousers
4th-October-2005, 11:43 PM
*re-reads Singletons' Sofa to try to understand why women discard men who would be a "sensible" choice, in favour of the unsuitable ones* :confused:

Oh and what happened to Hayley? Sounds like she doesn't work in the Office any more. :sad:

Look I can't cope with that - Singletons Sofa - I mean are you mad David?

Women want unsuitable it is the scary new thing - But it ain't new and it's still happeming now

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Nuff Said

Women
Brains ? huh? no chance

ElaineB
5th-October-2005, 07:31 AM

Hmm, missed a few episodes, so I don't know......

But, the EVIL, EVIL Hazel has gone - see good prevails sometimes!

Any bets on when the Archers panto gets into swing? :rofl:

Elaine

Clive Long
5th-October-2005, 08:17 AM
All together now ...

Forties, Fisher, Dogger, Humber, German Bight,

Lundy, Fastnet, Shannon,

Malin, Rockall, Bailey.

Poetry, sheer poetry.

The BBC Shipping Forecast (issued by the Met Office). Another winner !

LMC
5th-October-2005, 08:50 AM
... :drool: ...
The BBC Shipping Forecast (issued by the Met Office). Another winner !
:yeah:

Very soothing to wake up to, rather than being "startled" at the ungodly hour I have to get up to go to work...

El Salsero Gringo
5th-October-2005, 11:49 AM
All together now ...

Forties, Fisher, Dogger, Humber, German Bight,

Lundy, Fastnet, Shannon
Malin, Rockall, Bailey.

Poetry, sheer poetry.

The BBC Shipping Forecast (issued by the Met Office). Another winner !I agree.

But was this (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showpost.php?p=156471&postcount=12) too subtle do you think?

Clive Long
5th-October-2005, 12:04 PM
I agree.

But was this (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showpost.php?p=156471&postcount=12) too subtle do you think?
Oops. Didn't follow your link.

"3 OR 4 BACKING SOUTH 4 OR 5, OCCASIONALLY 6 LATER. OCCASIONAL RAIN. MODERATE OR GOOD"

Ooooh, oooh, oooh baby. (I'll stop now)

CRL

LMC
5th-October-2005, 12:13 PM
Ooops, I didn't follow ESG's link either - no sound card on work PC made it a bit pointless to do so anyway?

Stop it Clive, I'm trying to concentrate on typing a very boring set of meeting notes...

El Salsero Gringo
5th-October-2005, 12:40 PM
I feel obliged to add that if I were to pick two other people on the Forum as Shipping Forecast fans, it would probably have been you two.

LMC
5th-October-2005, 12:47 PM
OMG, that has to be the nicest compliment I've had today

I'm not even going to ask why, because I don't think I'm grown up enough to take the answer without bursting into tears

Trousers
22nd-October-2005, 06:27 PM
Yet another good program I heard

A sort of docu-drama about the battle of Trafalgar

History buffs - Well anyone really will enjoy this one

TRAFALGAR
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/radio4_aod.shtml?radio4/afternoonplay_fri

philsmove
24th-October-2005, 04:34 PM
Did anyone listen to home truths from Peel Acres this weekend ?:worthy:

Stuart
24th-October-2005, 07:13 PM
It's not on at the moment, but I am surprised that no one on this thread has mentioned "I'm sorry I haven't a clue".

ElaineB
24th-October-2005, 10:09 PM
It's not on at the moment, but I am surprised that no one on this thread has mentioned "I'm sorry I haven't a clue".

Ok - I'm sorry I haven't a clue! :D

Excellent program!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elaine

Chef
24th-October-2005, 10:38 PM
I really enjoy radio 4. There I said it. I have come out of the closet as a radio 4 listener,

I have had a DAB radio car in my computer for a couple of years. All I have to do is select the programs that I want to listen to from the electronic program guide from any of the stations and my computer records it as an MP3 file. iTunes then imports them and sends them to my iPod.

If you spend as much time as me in the car comutting to work or dances then having something on the radio in the car that you really want to listen to makes the journey not seem so bad.

Deborah Bulls programmes "a dance through time" and "dance saves lives" were highlights. Radio 4 has some really great comedy programs.

LMC
24th-October-2005, 10:54 PM
I love ISIHAC.

Oxford Circus

(one song to the tune of another doesn't really work on here...)

Clive Long
27th-October-2005, 01:08 PM
Trying to kick this Forum habit (yep, failing)

However, I feel I have to share with you the result of my journey into podcasting (as always, on the trailing edge of technology).

I am being fascinated listening to this week's "In Business, DC Rider" (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/downloadtrial) about electric cars (also via the "Listen Again" (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/progs/listenagain.shtml)link) - I have this latent interest in low-energy solutions. I am finding this an interesting programme because it presents the technical, personal and political issues faced by those evangelists who want us to move off the petrol/diesel engine to fuel our vehicles. I never before thought about "energy density" in a fuel. I never before thought of the benefit of having a single multi-use vehicle..

I haven't yet heard in the programme the argument that there is an environmental impact from generating, transmitting and storing the electricity to power these vehicles.

There is no archive of the programmes. So if you are at all interested, download it now.

Clive

Trousers
28th-October-2005, 01:02 AM
Yeah heard that one too.
Very interesting and honest opinions there - Fuel cells not efficient and batteries are? Cablooey I thought Fuel cells (burn hydrogen make light - light shines on solar panel - solar panel makes electricity) were the next big thing that hadn't happened yet. Looks like we still need to wait for Mr Fusion.

Will we all be able to get personal car insurance to cover us driving the electric local car during the week and the other fuel car at weekends, or are we all gonna get stiffed and have to have two sets of insurance. 'Spose if you are a couple it works but a single with the environment in mind could only drive one vehicle.

DavidY
12th-November-2005, 07:18 PM
But, the EVIL, EVIL Hazel has gone - see good prevails sometimes!Was looking through an old video from a few months ago before taping over it, & came across a familiar voice. Turns out that Evil Hazel is Margaret the Slitheen (a Dr Who alien who was plotting to destroy the earth) in disguise...

(Both were played by Annette Badland)

Chicklet
21st-November-2005, 03:58 PM
nothing to do with dance......but it made me smile...there's a play on right now in which the hero has just declared "hurry up man, I've got a woman's bed to occupy tonight! woof" (the woof was actually silent, but somehow you could hear it :rofl: )

any further examples of lines that sound like Blackadder but aren't???

Dorothy
22nd-November-2005, 11:47 AM

Radio 1-3, now that's where there's some serious tat...

:yeah
Terry Wogan on 2 isn't too bad
:blush:

Chicklet
18th-December-2005, 12:47 PM
BETTY !!! :tears:

live for today friends. :flower:

or amuse yourselves with memories for a while listening to the book of the week starting tomorrow at 09.45, Stephen Fry reading

"Lost Worlds, by Michael Bywater. A compendium of the things that have gone, read by Stephen Fry. 1/5. Entries include Absurdity, Angels and Bakelite. [Rptd Tue 12.30am "