PDA

View Full Version : Dogs: recommendations

El Salsero Gringo
29th-September-2005, 01:59 PM
Don't laugh, but I'm thinking about getting a dog. The problem is that I live in a flat with no garden. Are there any breeds that would be happy with a mainly indoor life? I've always imagined myself as having a labrador, or golden retriever, but I guess they're just too big.

Should I give up the idea or is it practical? I do have time to walk it regularly and there's a park about two minutes from here where it could run around.

CeeCee
29th-September-2005, 02:03 PM
El Salsero Gringo = I do have time to walk it regularly ...

so you have more time to dance then ...

Lynn
29th-September-2005, 02:06 PM
Don't laugh, but I'm thinking about getting a dog. The problem is that I live in a flat with no garden. Are there any breeds that would be happy with a mainly indoor life? I've always imagined myself as having a labrador, or golden retriever, but I guess they're just too big.

Should I give up the idea or is it practical? I do have time to walk it regularly and there's a park about two minutes from here where it could run around.As long as you are prepared to get up in the morning to take it out somewhere (even if you want a lie it, it will still need to get outside if you don't want puddles!) then a small breed is happy enough with regular walks. Dogs like company, so its not a good idea if you have a long working day where its left alone all day.

Rhythm King
29th-September-2005, 02:31 PM
I can see it now, ESG turning up with a chihuahua in his dance bag :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Next thing he'll be unbuttoning his shirts to the waist!

(Sorry, you have to have been to some of the Jango T dances, to appreciate this fully...)

David Bailey
29th-September-2005, 02:35 PM
Don't laugh, but I'm thinking about getting a dog.
:rofl: Oops - sorry...

The problem is that I live in a flat with no garden.

What does the lease / landlord say about pets?

Are there any breeds that would be happy with a mainly indoor life?
Honestly, I dunno - I think dogs need space more than cats etc.

El Salsero Gringo
29th-September-2005, 02:39 PM
I can see it now, ESG turning up with a chihuahua in his dance bag :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Next thing he'll be unbuttoning his shirts to the waist!

(Sorry, you have to have been to some of the Jango T dances, to appreciate this fully...)
:rofl: Oops - sorry...Shame on you both for your mockery. I'm tempted to curse your houses unto the thousandth generation, but luckily for you I'm in a good mood today. So I will restrict myself to a single 'ni'.

'ni'.

(Okay, make that two.)

Sparkles
29th-September-2005, 02:45 PM
I'd love a dog, but as far as I can see it's just not fair on the animal. I too live in a flat with no garden and even though there is a park just over the road I'm not home enough to give it the proper amount of love and attention it deserves.
Think very carefully before committing to an animal and remember that it would put heavy restrictions on your movements - especially holidays etc.
Also bear in mind that it will cost money to keep and feed it, and should it become ill it can be an enormous amount of worry as well as expensive.

I know you're an intelligent chap and have probably thought about all this already, but I just thought I'd state the obvious for the record. :flower:

Rhythm King
29th-September-2005, 02:46 PM
Shame on you both for your mockery. I'm tempted to curse your houses unto the thousandth generation, but luckily for you I'm in a good mood today. So I will restrict myself to a single 'ni'.

'ni'.

(Okay, make that two.)
Well I want a shrubbery

TiggsTours
29th-September-2005, 02:47 PM
Scottie Dogs are nice. They're small, friendly, don't yap annoying all that much, don't smell too bad. Get a cat instead, they walk themselves, poo in the right place, aren't too demanding, don't smell too bad, sorry, not a dog person.

CeeCee
29th-September-2005, 02:56 PM
[QUOTE=El Salsero Gringo Don't laugh, but I'm thinking about getting a dog.

Stop this madness now, stop it now before you actually go through with this notion. Go dancing, forget about this idea of yours, you'll see reason in the morning.

=El Salsero Gringo The problem is that I live in a flat with no garden.

Not a problem, no garden + no maintenance = more time to dance.

Gojive
29th-September-2005, 02:56 PM
Aside from the obvious problems such as exercising it etc, there's also a noise thing to consider. I doubt that you could guarantee a dog wouldn't bark while you're out, and a barking dog in a block of flats, would echo the irritation to practically all your immediate neighbours. I don't think you'd be the most popular man in the block! :)

Lynn
29th-September-2005, 02:57 PM
Scottie Dogs are nice. They're small, friendly, don't yap annoying all that much, don't smell too bad. Get a cat instead, they walk themselves, poo in the right place, aren't too demanding, don't smell too bad, sorry, not a dog person. Yes, I thought a cat would be more suitable in a flat, but people tend to be either a 'dog' or 'cat' person so presume ESG is a 'dog' person.

I'm a dog person and still really miss my dog who died just before Christmas.

El Salsero Gringo
29th-September-2005, 03:02 PM
Aside from the obvious problems such as exercising it etc, there's also a noise thing to consider. I doubt that you could guarantee a dog wouldn't bark while you're out, and a barking dog in a block of flats, would echo the irritation to practically all your immediate neighbours. I don't think you'd be the most popular man in the block! :)Yes, I am a dog person. And I would hope that it wouldn't annoy the neighbours by barking, it would annoy them by arguing, corrupting their children, and working out novel closed-form solutions for Einstein's field equations all over the pavement.

Rhythm King
29th-September-2005, 03:10 PM
Yes, I am a dog person. And I would hope that it wouldn't annoy the neighbours by barking, it would annoy them by arguing, corrupting their children, and working out novel closed-form solutions for Einstein's field equations all over the pavement.

Of course this dog business could just be a substitute for something else that's missing in your life...

Is there something you're not telling us ESG? :whistle:

Feelingpink
29th-September-2005, 03:12 PM

Should I give up the idea or is it practical? I do have time to walk it regularly and there's a park about two minutes from here where it could run around.I'm not laughing. A dog can be a great thing - intelligent conversation, always happy to see you etc. I've wanted one for a long time (as well as a compost heap) but until I live somewhere different, it's just going to have to wait. I'd go for a small breed. Schnauzers (not sure if that's how you spell it) or poodles are intelligent, bright dogs - both are in three sizes (I think), so you can have a small one. The only thing with having an intelligent dog is that they need to be kept busy - they are the ones that will know which one of your six chairs is an antique and chew it to bits if you aren't giving it enough attention.

However, if you like the idea of a labrador or golden retriever - they're gundogs designed for carrying lots of fat (to protect them when swimming into cold water to collect the ducks etc you've just shot) and frankly not the brightest crayon in the box. I wouldn't have one in a flat - they really need lots of space to run around in.

Good luck

Gojive
29th-September-2005, 03:36 PM
Yes, I am a dog person. And I would hope that it wouldn't annoy the neighbours by barking, it would annoy them by arguing, corrupting their children, and working out novel closed-form solutions for Einstein's field equations all over the pavement.

Why the sarcasm? I was trying to be helpful, and point out something you may not have immediately thought about!.

I lived in a block of flats 2 years ago, where the couple in the flat below me thought it would be great to have dog. Every time they went out, the dog would wine and yap for hours, and could be heard 3 floors up. They couldn't understand why the other tenants were so angry with them, because the dog was quiet when they were there! No amount of talking to them, could make them see how downright selfish, ignorant, and irritating they were. Thankfully, they were evicted soon after multiple complaints were submitted to the landlord. They left the block, being despised by their neighbours.....

It was just something to be aware of, that's all.

El Salsero Gringo
29th-September-2005, 03:38 PM
Why the sarcasm? I was trying to be helpful, and point out something you may not have immediately thought about!.Not sarcasm at all. Thanks for pointing it out, I hadn't really thought about that. Luckily it's a maisonette that I live in, with (I think) extremely thick walls but I shall do my best to keep the beast quiet.

Gojive
29th-September-2005, 03:41 PM
Not sarcasm at all. Thanks for pointing it out, I hadn't really thought about that.

OK, fair enough. Perhaps I jumped the gundog a bit in my interpretation of your post :flower:

I shall do my best to keep the beast quiet.

And what will you do about the dog? :wink:

JoC
29th-September-2005, 03:43 PM
Not popular with everyone but I like Jack Russells, lots of character, loads of fun, very amusing with a football, not cissy and compact in size, can also be taken hillwalking. Just think Eddie from Frasier...

Dreadful Scathe
29th-September-2005, 04:02 PM
Personally I wouldnt get a dog unless i had at least 2 acres of garden - they do make me sneeze though :) My Mother swears by chihuahuas, I just swear at them :rolleyes:

and working out novel closed-form solutions for Einstein's field equations all over the pavement.

The neighbours will not appreciate what the dog leaves all over the pavement. Philistines.

Dreadful Scathe
29th-September-2005, 04:03 PM
oh and Im sure if you ask filthycute she'll recommend Spaniels. :)

El Salsero Gringo
29th-September-2005, 04:13 PM
And what will you do about the dog? :wink:Feed it to the beast, obviously!

dee
29th-September-2005, 04:30 PM
Scottie Dogs are nice. They're small, friendly, don't yap annoying all that much, don't smell too bad.

My neighbour has a scottie dog that drives me mad, he barks all the time mainly at nothing :sick: you could have him on trial? please!!!!!

Bex
29th-September-2005, 04:32 PM

RK, you forgot the knee high boots!! :rofl:

Seriously though ESG, a friend once told me, if you're not ready for kids, then you're not ready for a dog. So......anything else you want to tell us? :whistle:

Mostlysane
30th-September-2005, 09:55 AM
recommendations for dogs?

I find a low heat for 30-40 minutes (depending on the size of the canine), with a lime and ginger baste is normally best. Forget the microwave, it just doesn't do them justice :)

El Salsero Gringo
30th-September-2005, 10:14 AM

I find a low heat for 30-40 minutes (depending on the size of the canine), with a lime and ginger baste is normally best. Forget the microwave, it just doesn't do them justice :)Hee hee.

Cocktail limes, or the regular sort?

David Franklin
30th-September-2005, 10:23 AM
I find a low heat for 30-40 minutes (depending on the size of the canine), with a lime and ginger baste is normally best. Forget the microwave, it just doesn't do them justice :) :eek: That's just sick! :eek:

(A low heat for 30-40 minutes isn't going to cook a large rodent, let alone a dog).

filthycute
30th-September-2005, 10:55 AM
oh and Im sure if you ask filthycute she'll recommend Spaniels. :)

I would recommend spaniels.....especially Cavilier King Charles Spaniels, however.........

On this occassion i was going to ask if you had considered a retired greyhound. Despite all the racing they do, they are actually happy-to-stay-at-home dogs who would be more than happy to laze around the house with you and go for occassional walks. That means you can have a nice big dog with little dog features :D

fc x

This website may help you decide. I liked this bit :nice:

No dog likes to be left alone for long periods of time, greyhounds are no different, although being so VERY lazy they will sleep most of the day even when you are there. They are not 'in your face' dogs, they won't nag for attention....again far too much effort.....but as they settle in and learn how to play you can interact much more . As they have missed out on puppy hood many regress (nicely) into it as their character develops once in the home.

Retired Greyhounds (http://www.retiredgreyhounds.co.uk/)

Little Monkey
30th-September-2005, 11:07 AM
I just wrote a huge, long reply, then my bloody internet connection died! :angry:

Right, let's try again.

I've got a border collie, and I live in a flat in a city. Works really well! She gets at least 2 hours of mad running around/ training/ games in the park every day, and if I have to leave her for a long(ish) time, I have two neighbours who adore her, who'll let her out or even walk her for me. They also look after her when I go away on dance weekenders, or take her out for me if I'm sick, or my back hurts too much to walk!

Troll (yes, that's her name...) is very quiet in the house when she's alone. She's put in the bedroom, where she feels safe and comfortable, and is not allowed to run riot around the flat when I'm away. If I leave her to have the run of the place when I'm out, she feels insecure, barks at things she sees outside the livingroom window, barks at noises behind the front door, etc. In the bedroom she's totally quiet - all my neighbours are very impressed! And she doesn't chew on anything she's not allowed - I always make sure she's got toys to chew on in the room when I leave her, as well as plenty of fresh water. However, most days I take her to work with me, via the park!

Small breeds are not necessarily more suitable for city life than big breeds. A lot of smaller breeds are very highly strung and yappy, as well as highly energetic in the house. Lots of bigger breeds are very quiet and docile in the house, and you hardly notice they're there, apart from when you stumble across them as they're sprawled out on the floor! :D Make sure you get a breed that's calm, adaptable, friendly towards people and doesn't require constant attention and excesive amounts of exercise. Greyhounds are actually highly affectionate, calm and friendly dogs, and they require little exercise!! True! A couple of good runs a day is plenty for them! However, they might not be everyone's cup of tea...

My brother's got a golden retriver and a briard puppy. Both are big dogs (golden retriver is going to look small next to the briard when it grows up), but both are actually very quiet in the house, as long as they get their requred amount of exercise. He's got someone who comes in the middle of the day to walk the dogs, as both he and his wife are at work all day. One of my neighbours in the block next to me has a big golden retriver, too, and it's completely quiet when she's out, and very happy and friendly.

Just think carefully before you choose a dog. Read doggie books, don't just listen to advice from friends. The breed they like and that suits their lifestyle might not be the ideal dog for you!

Consider the following: How much exercise does the breed require per day, and how much time do you have to provide it. How much grooming does the dog need? Will you do the grooming yourself, or get it done by a professional dog groomer on a regular basis? Is the breed adaptable, has it got a calm and even temper, does it like people (and children!!). Is it a highly intelligent breed, that needs lots of mental stimulation to keep sane? Who will look after the dog when you're away for the weekend or on holiday? Do you have the time and energy it takes to house-train a puppy, and teach it the basic obedience it needs?

Also: Are you allowed to have pets in your building. Do your neighbours like/ mind dogs? Is it very noisy where you live/ heavy traffic etc, and will this be a suitable environment for the type of dog you'd want/a puppy? Will you be prepared to pay all the vet bills, will you get insurance? I strongly recommend insurance - without it it's no way I couls have been able to afford the knee operation Troll needed in May; £1500!!! :eek:

Right, after thinking about all these things, reading up on breeds, discussing it with your friends etc - talk to a dog breeder!

Good luck!

Cathrine :flower:

Little Monkey
30th-September-2005, 11:10 AM
No dog likes to be left alone for long periods of time, greyhounds are no different, although being so VERY lazy they will sleep most of the day even when you are there. They are not 'in your face' dogs, they won't nag for attention....again far too much effort.....but as they settle in and learn how to play you can interact much more . As they have missed out on puppy hood many regress (nicely) into it as their character develops once in the home.

You beat me to it!! :rolleyes:

Mostlysane
30th-September-2005, 11:36 AM
Hee hee.

Cocktail limes, or the regular sort?

Cocktail of course, there's no point in stocking up on the others, you're not going to be able to use them with your tequila slammer aperatif while you wait for the crackling to form.

Mostlysane
30th-September-2005, 11:39 AM
:eek: That's just sick! :eek:

(A low heat for 30-40 minutes isn't going to cook a large rodent, let alone a dog).

Good point, probably need a Chihuahua then. I was on holiday in peru earlier this year. We had guinea pig in one restaurant (it's a local delicacy). Horrible it is too. Bit like duck with crackling. The alpaca kebabs were much nicer.

Lynn
30th-September-2005, 12:09 PM
Right, after thinking about all these things, reading up on breeds, discussing it with your friends etc - talk to a dog breeder! Wee mix up mongrels are also great (though can be quite intelligent and therefore bored more easily). One option is also to get a dog from an animal shelter. We did that, and got a terrier mix (very intelligent she could figure most things out, including how to climb over fences! Also well behaved and only barked if the doorbell rang) - no-one else would have wanted her as she was very bedraggled looking and thin. She was a wonderful family pet for almost 17 years. Of course such a dog can take a bit more work at first, but then so does a puppy.

David Franklin
30th-September-2005, 01:36 PM
Good point, probably need a Chihuahua then. Was in St Tropez one time, and were astounded by the number of tiny dogs, often being carried rather than tiring out their poor little legs. and all with little jackets on to keep them warm... :rolleyes:

Bryony said, "I wonder what would happen if we took one home to meet the cat?"
I replied, "He'd look up at us, and say 'Thanks for the food, but how do I get the wrapper off?'"

Mostlysane
30th-September-2005, 01:45 PM
Was in St Tropez one time, and were astounded by the number of tiny dogs, often being carried rather than tiring out their poor little legs. and all with little jackets on to keep them warm... :rolleyes:

Bryony said, "I wonder what would happen if we took one home to meet the cat?"
I replied, "He'd look up at us, and say 'Thanks for the food, but how do I get the wrapper off?'"

:rofl:

:) I was in courcheval skiing a couple of years ago and a lady there had a nappy on her poodle. Best bit was when she took it into the ladies loo to change it.

ajiver
30th-September-2005, 02:53 PM

Should I give up the idea or is it practical? I do have time to walk it regularly and there's a park about two minutes from here where it could run around.

Golden retrievers are some of my favourite. They need to be walked three times a day. They also love to swim and would run straight for the water if you're near a lake or river. These dogs love to be around people more than other dogs and are out to please their owner. They are also very affectionate and good with kids.

Thor
30th-September-2005, 03:27 PM
I would recommend spaniels.....especially Cavilier King Charles Spaniels, however.........

On this occassion i was going to ask if you had considered a retired greyhound. Despite all the racing they do, they are actually happy-to-stay-at-home dogs who would be more than happy to laze around the house with you and go for occassional walks. That means you can have a nice big dog with little dog features :D

fc x

This website may help you decide. I liked this bit :nice:

Retired Greyhounds (http://www.retiredgreyhounds.co.uk/)

I was about to suggest retired greyhounds or whippets aswelll. Lovely natured dogs; take them out and give them a good walk twice a day and the rest of the time they're really lazy. Just need to watch out with ex-racers....might need to be muzzled outside. Not because they go for people, but because they've been taught to go for anything that's small and fuzzy....rabbits, cats, small dogs...lol

:waycool:

Thor

Seahorse
30th-September-2005, 03:29 PM
Afraid I'm a fanatic when it comes to pets. Having grown up with different types of pets, dogs have always been a consistent theme (retrievers and terriers) and I lament the fact that I won't let myself have one at the moment because of my domestic situation.

I appease myself with offers to take care of other peoples whether they be parents, family and friends...

As to your question - hmmm... depends on how big your flat is. Personally I'd not advise it... for the dogs sake. I know it sounds soft but without stimulation from others sources any animal gets depressed with their own company and they resort to abnormal behavioural traits such as soiling due to anxiety, chewing everything under the sun and barking... or couch potatoes... (I'm asuming you are away from the house for 8-10hrs per day)

If you're serious about this and can give it as much attention (irrespective of breed) as you'd give to a 8-10yr child (with some imagination here), then do it... remember you'll have to think about feeding, walking (at least 40-50mins per day), vets bills (unless you're with pets plan) and can invest the emotional responsibility that comes with something which needs the attention you'd invest in a small child - remember, a dog matures at the age of four.

As with all animals... there aren't bad pets - JUST BAD OWNERS!!! Dogs in particular pick up on subliminal influences... they recognise when you're upset, angry or scared... and react accordingly. If dog bites you... then it's a last resort - often out of panic as it's previous warning signals of tail between legs, ears back, eyes dilate, hackles rising and bearing teeth have been missed. And even then, it will nip and then back off. The problems start when this happens repeatedly... and incidently Labradors are responsible for more attacks on humans than any other breed.

A dog is looking for a confident owner whom it trusts... it's a pack thing where you are the alpha male who will lead and defend it. From my experience, a good test is whether the dog will allow me to remove something from it's feeding bowl when it is eating... if it snaps at you then you know it doesn't view you as 'leader'... and you're going to need to assert yourself.

good luck...

LMC
30th-September-2005, 03:33 PM
ESG, no need to get a dog...

Clicky (http://notfunny.org/vdsc/index.php) (may be NSFW)

Seahorse
30th-September-2005, 03:37 PM
ESG, no need to get a dog...

Clicky (http://notfunny.org/vdsc/index.php) (may be NSFW)

Brilliant!!!

El Salsero Gringo
30th-September-2005, 04:34 PM
{stuff}Thanks, good advice. I'm not away from home for much of the day, so I don't think that would be a problem. As for the rest, I'll have think through what you say.

dee
30th-September-2005, 04:47 PM

I find a low heat for 30-40 minutes (depending on the size of the canine), with a lime and ginger baste is normally best. Forget the microwave, it just doesn't do them justice :)

Fantastic!!!! you have my sense of humour :rofl:

Little Monkey
30th-September-2005, 05:11 PM
Lots of very sensible stuff, and:
As with all animals... there aren't bad pets - JUST BAD OWNERS!!! Dogs in particular pick up on subliminal influences... they recognise when you're upset, angry or scared... and react accordingly. If dog bites you... then it's a last resort - often out of panic as it's previous warning signals of tail between legs, ears back, eyes dilate, hackles rising and bearing teeth have been missed. And even then, it will nip and then back off. The problems start when this happens repeatedly... and incidently Labradors are responsible for more attacks on humans than any other breed.

:yeah:
And border collies is the 'most destructive breed in Britain'! :eek: People get them because they're cute and cuddly, and many idiots think that because the dog is intelligent, it will know/ learn what it's not allowed to do (chew, nip, bark etc). Then they don't give the dog enough mental and physical stimulation, and they create monsters who'll destroy your house, bark it's head off, and nip anything that moves.
:really:
LM

Dance Demon
30th-September-2005, 05:51 PM
Just remember this adage....

A dog is not just for Christmas.................

If you are really carefull, you should have enough left over for new year as well............... :wink:

Trousers
30th-September-2005, 06:02 PM
ESG having been someone who has been around dogs since I could crawl I would shout out

You Need A House and a GARDEN

Kids need out side so do dogs

I recommend you put this idea on hold till you have some space.

Remember Holidays
Dirty Weekends away
Late nights where you score and don't come home

All Gone

There are only bad owners not bad dogs - if you start from that premise you may make the correct decision here.

LMC
30th-September-2005, 06:35 PM
Fantastic!!!! you have my sense of humour :rofl:
Mostlysane, you THIEF - give dee's sense of humour back to her...

(just kidding dee :hug: , couldn't resist, 'cos the old ones are the best :rolleyes: )

ElaineB
30th-September-2005, 07:45 PM
And border collies is the 'most destructive breed in Britain'! :eek: People get them because they're cute and cuddly, and many idiots think that because the dog is intelligent, it will know/ learn what it's not allowed to do (chew, nip, bark etc). Then they don't give the dog enough mental and physical stimulation, and they create monsters who'll destroy your house, bark it's head off, and nip anything that moves.
:really:
LM

Agreed!!!! They don't mature until they are past two and by then, you will have no friends left!

Jack Russells? Yuch - agressive little blighters!

Scotty dogs - never met one yet that I didn't think had a happy 'well rounded' attitude!

I have heard that the Greyhound is a good sort. They are shorthaired and don't need quite as long to excercise. They run incrediby fast and use a lot of calories in a short time - but I would check that out if I were you!

If you get a cat though, it will want to go out as well - so unless you want to build a cat run at the back of the house, suggest a no, no!

Good luck with your quest and let us all know what you decide upon!

Elaine

Baruch
30th-September-2005, 08:20 PM
My in-laws have a toy poodle. The great advantage of this breed is that they don't shed hair. Believe me, as a spaniel owner, I envy this! I have an English Springer Spaniel called Jac, and he's a very energetic dog, but then I live in a place with plenty of open space for him to enjoy a good run, and I work him now and then as well, which he loves.

Give Jack Russells a wide berth. They can be VERY yappy.

Someone mentioned chihuahuas if putting dogs in the oven. I'm sure I heard somewhere that chihuahuas were actually bred for the pot in the first place. Hot dogs, anyone?

Seahorse
1st-October-2005, 10:58 PM
Best advice I've ever heard was a retired greyhound as they are so docile...and are looking for a quiet life.

Avoid collies as discussed - they're working dogs and it's in their instinct to her - also need heaps of exercise. Hence they will stalk chickens, cattle or even children if they have the opportunity. Further to what was said earlier - they'll damage property out of boredom.

Finally, never leave any dog alone with children irrespective of how well you know the animal.

ChrisA
1st-October-2005, 11:13 PM
Not popular with everyone but I like Jack Russells, lots of character, loads of fun, very amusing with a football, not cissy and compact in size, can also be taken hillwalking. Just think Eddie from Frasier...
I had one, and all this is true. Don't even think of getting one unless you're prepared to devote a lot of time and energy to exercising it and training it.

I took on an (almost) untrained one when he was 13 (and trained him - you can teach an old dog new tricks), and had a fantastic two years with him until he died - but it was a lot of effort and time. A fantastic resource is here (http://www.terrier.com).

Jack Russells? Yuch - agressive little blighters!

And what were the owners like?

Jacks are fantastic dogs if treated right. Treated wrong, well, they're like people that are brought up wrong.

dee
2nd-October-2005, 10:15 AM
ESG having been someone who has been around dogs since I could crawl I would shout out

Remember Holidays
Dirty Weekends away

All Gone

There are only bad owners not bad dogs - if you start from that premise you may make the correct decision here.

:yeah: I was thinking of getting a dog a few years ago, i even went as far as looking at the local rescue centre, i have a huge back garden thats ideal for a dog i dont work so all sounds perfect!!! but then my sister came up with those very points stated by Little Monkey, i do tend to spend alot of time in London sometimes unexpected, and what about the weekenders? would cost a fortune to keep putting a dog into a kennel and its also not fair on the dog.

I have 2 cats and a cat flap so they can come and go as they please, and if i do stay out the night its no problem, no barking ,no mess ,perfect, and if i do go away my friends dont mind popping in to feed them

maybe you should consider a pedigree cat?? what would be better ESG than to come home to a purring pussy every night lol. :rofl:

ElaineB
2nd-October-2005, 10:16 AM
And what were the owners like?

Jacks are fantastic dogs if treated right. Treated wrong, well, they're like people that are brought up wrong.

The owner was a very good friend of mine, but the dog was was very agressive. He would become possessive about anything, including my handbag and at a barbecue, the barbecue itself. We could only get to it by throwing some food for him in the opposite direction. His high point I think, was when he was in the passenger footwell of my car. Every time I attempted to change gear, the little blighter growled at me - with real meaning. My high point was when he jumped out of the window of my car (I was stopped at the time). He still had his lead on, but it was not long enough to reach the ground...........so there he was, the agressive little swine, dangling in mid air......... Fortunately for him, my friend rescued him. I couldn't resist a chuckle of satisfaction though!!

He (the dog that is!) has now gone to meet his maker, but I doubt if that was in an 'upwards' direction!

You are right though Chris, it is generally the way that owners treat their animals that 'brings out' their character. I have met a number of animals that have been 'spoiled' by their owners, either through cruelty or too much 'kindness'.

Elaine

Baruch
2nd-October-2005, 12:16 PM
You are right though Chris, it is generally the way that owners treat their animals that 'brings out' their character. I have met a number of animals that have been 'spoiled' by their owners, either through cruelty or too much 'kindness'.
There's also an issue of training. A dog can be trained not to be possessive about food etc. It's all about establishing who's boss. A well-trained dog usually exhibits good behaviour, although there's always the odd occasion when they push at the boundaries to make sure.

Mind you, I don't know if it's the same everywhere, but around these parts I am constantly amazed by the number of people who expect their dog to listen, come when called, sit, behave etc. when they have never given it any training at all. Lots of time needs to be invested if you want a well-behaved dog.

Lucy Locket
2nd-October-2005, 02:02 PM
Haven't read all the way through but i've always had dogs & cats & dogs are just so special. My brother in Brussels lives in a flat & has a dog & a park close by. Not a problem, never has been, although he has someone who walks it lunchtimes. Mine goes out in the morning then has to wait till i get in, but i don't work everyday & my son's home from school at 4 & i don't leave for work till 9.30. He's happy. :flower: :clap: :cheers:

Little Monkey
2nd-October-2005, 10:42 PM

Remember Holidays
Dirty Weekends away

All Gone

Ummmm....... I care to disagree..... I live in a flat, in a city, with a very active 3 year old border collie! She's very happy and content - but then I do give her a lot of exercise and training, as well as mental stimulation. But yes - if you live in a city, you do need to devote a lot of time to make sure your dog gets all the exercise and trips outside it needs.

I still go on holidays, weekenders and dance parties. I just have to make sure I have someone who can come and take Troll outside/ for a walk/ look after her for the weekend. Yes, she does cost me extra money, but I wouldn't want to be without her! And if a bloke should be interested in me, he'd better like my dog, or he's out of the question! I'd rather have my dog! :wink:

But I totally agree with the statement "There are no bad dogs, just bad owners", although there are a few dogs that are mentally 'damaged' from the start, and will possibly never be ok, even with devoted owners who spend all their time and effort trying to socialise and train the animal.

Agreed!!!! They {border collies} don't mature until they are past two and by then, you will have no friends left!

I think you'll find they don't mature for many, many years past their second birthday :D :rofl: . Most dogs mature by the age of about two, but collies just have such an extreme amount of energy, intelligence and 'drive' that they can hardly contain themselves. My border collie is almost 3 1/2, and nowhere near mature! She has calmed down to the extent where she can happily sleep for 3-4 hours in my studio while I'm working, if she's had a really good run in the park first. But in the park, or if she's not had enough exercise, she's like a dog on speed!

I still have all my friends that I had before I got my collie, and most of them (even the ones who were never doggie people to start with) absolutely adore her. She's even cured one of my friends of her extreme fear of dogs! I have several friends who are very happy to take both me and my dog for hillwalking trips, as she's not a problem in the car, and an absolute joy to go hillwalking with. I also have friends who will come and 'borrow' her for walkies! And I've made lots of new friends after I got her, too - you always meet other doggie-people in the park to chat to!

Finally, never leave any dog alone with children irrespective of how well you know the animal.
Couldn't agree more. You never know what those pesky kids might do to the dog!!! :whistle:

Actually, my dog is not fond of children :( . When she was a puppy, I tried to socialise her and make her safe in all situations and with all people. Unfortunately a little snotrag (boy, probably about 3-4 years old) was allowed to pet my dog when she was only a few months old. He was with his dad, and I made my dog sit, and held her so she wouldn't jump. The little b*st*rd first tried to pull her ear, and I told him off. Then, before I could stop him, he stood up and kicked her right in the head!!!!! :angry: :mad: I wanted to kick him back, but managed to control myself. Just. :devil:

About a month later, two other children asked if they could pet her, and I said yes, but told them to be gentle. They ended up scaring the living daylight out of her by jumping towards her screaming and 'barking' and pretending to thrust their hands in her face.

Unfortunately I don't have any friends with kids who I could 'use' to socialise Troll with, so these incidents really scarred her for life. She has met other children in controlled situations (I never leave her alone with kids, or let kids play with her in the park without me being in complete control of the situation), but I do know she's scared of some children, and always make sure to call her to me and put her on a leash if we meet children in the park. She's not bothered with them as long as they don't come running towards her/ try to grab her, which is when she feels intimidated.

LM

Mostlysane
3rd-October-2005, 10:06 AM
Mostlysane, you THIEF - give dee's sense of humour back to her...

(just kidding dee :hug: , couldn't resist, 'cos the old ones are the best :rolleyes: )

sorry guys,

I needed to borrow it for the weekend. I wanted to use it for an episode with tequila and disney tunes. Here you go Dee, have it back :rofl: Can i maybe borrow it for tomorrow's team meeting? I'll need it for maybe an hour or two.

dee
4th-October-2005, 10:31 AM
sorry guys,

I needed to borrow it for the weekend. I wanted to use it for an episode with tequila and disney tunes. Here you go Dee, have it back :rofl: Can i maybe borrow it for tomorrow's team meeting? I'll need it for maybe an hour or two.

Of course you can sweetie, you know how i like to share what i have :whistle: :innocent:

ElaineB
4th-October-2005, 12:57 PM
Another thought - whether it be a little dog or big dog - VETS BILLS!!!!! They are horrendous these days - beware!!! I have two cats, a brother and sister, now two years old. Costs in vets bills are £1,100!!! They came with cat flu and ring worm and one of them recently had a liver infection. On top of that are the annual jabs!

Start saving now!

Elaine

dee
4th-October-2005, 05:45 PM
:yeah: Elaine B is soooo right. Vet bills are a nightmare, i have 2 cats and that is bad enough if one gets sick that £20 consultation fee before they even assess what the problem is, and if it needs anaesthetic that can cost a fortune. I dont bother with the annual injections but im sure in a dog its a must have?. My cats are getting on a bit now at the grand age of 12 most things i can treat myself and i try to avoid the vets if i can. Good luck ESG on whatever you decide :flower:

WittyBird
4th-October-2005, 05:52 PM
a friend of mine has a Siamese cat that doesnt like people and tends to attack everyone possible, my friend decided she loved the cat so couldnt get rid of it and called on the help of an animal behavour specialist. They agreed the fee of £50 for the first consultation and she was rather excited that Saskia (cat) was going to be sorted. This woman turned up and Saskia did what she does and after the woman had tried many things with the cat she turned to my friend and gave her professional advise, " when your friends come over shut the cat in the kitchen". :rofl:

dee
4th-October-2005, 05:58 PM
:rofl: :rofl: That is brilliant!!!! :rofl: