PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone still wear tights??

Saxylady
28th-September-2005, 07:13 PM
Have all dancing ladies given up on hosiery? If so, I’m not surprised - having just gone through the toe of yet another new pair of hold-ups - but it’s getting a bit cold for bare legs now – and I’m running out of fake tan!

Can anyone who still does resort to theses pesky items advise me if there any brands / types of hosiery that can stand up to the rigours and demands of a night of dancing? Is there a way to stop the feet from slipping and rotating? Are tights, hold-ups or stockings better? What looks best under a twirly skirt (from a modesty point of view!).

(If this has all been covered before, and you know where, then I’d be glad if you could kindly point me in that direction).

Lynn
28th-September-2005, 07:20 PM
I'm not a fan of tights - hot and uncomfortable. Some occasions do require them - but I don't wear them dancing.

Stockings now, that's different... :wink:

Especially under a twirly skirt...! :devil:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
28th-September-2005, 07:54 PM
Weird-I was just thinking about this today! I was looking for a nice skirt for going out 2morrow night, but I couldn't find a good one! (don't you just hate when that happens!?!) I got a nice black lacy top though :D And tips for tights would be good if I ever manage to find a nice skirt! I don't fancy walking up Sauchiehall street at half ten with bare legs :sick:

I got knee high tights from tesco, I think, which have grips on the soles, but I can't really tell the difference when wearing them from ordinary tights. I don't remember what they were actually called though. Sorry that I was no help :whistle:

Ash x

Minnie M
28th-September-2005, 08:12 PM
I got knee high tights from tesco..........
:eek: :sick:
Asda do 'ankle highs' for wearing with trousers - but you have to wear hold ups /stockings or tights with a skirt/dress ............ not only do those knee highs look awful, they leave a silly mark just under the knee (must be a real passion killer for the fellas)

I wear trousers 90% of the time, so don't really have a problem with hosery.

Gojive
28th-September-2005, 08:39 PM

I wear trousers 100% of the time.......certainly helps stop problems with my hosery!! :whistle:

OK, I'll zip it, and be on my way.....

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
29th-September-2005, 09:20 AM
Asda do 'ankle highs' for wearing with trousers - but you have to wear hold ups /stockings or tights with a skirt/dress ............ not only do those knee highs look awful, they leave a silly mark just under the knee (must be a real passion killer for the fellas)

Yes, Minnie, lol, me too. I only wear them with trousers! :rofl: I've got wee socky tights that I wear when I wear skirts, they fit around your foot so no one knows that you are wearing any. Jus got the knee ones cause they were there at the time. And mine don't mark my legs :flower:

David Franklin
29th-September-2005, 09:33 AM
Can anyone who still does resort to theses pesky items advise me if there any brands / types of hosiery that can stand up to the rigours and demands of a night of dancing?Standard advice is to get tights specifically made for dancing. Bryony got a pair for our current routine (which involves floor slides in a dress :eek: ), and they have held up so far.

I don't recall the make Bryony has (we bought them in the states), but Danskin seem to get a lot of recommendations. Someone on another forum recommends Capezio fishnets as "indestructible" as well...

TiggsTours
29th-September-2005, 09:35 AM
For warmth, yes. Its really cold in my office at the moment, and I sit in a bit of a wind tunnel, so I have a pair on under my trousers.

El Salsero Gringo
29th-September-2005, 09:46 AM
I know I shouldn't tell anyone this, but Clive Long wears the crotchless ones, under his red dress.

:wink:

JoC
29th-September-2005, 09:48 AM
For me...

Yes tights with skirts definitely!!! The very thought of me flashing exposed upper thigh whilst twirling or doing drops is :eek: :eek: :eek: and :rofl: and :sick: . (I favour 'ladder-resist' if wearing a low denier...and I think a variety with reinforced toes exists...perhaps...if you're wearing open toes shoes...)

And big knickers of course. :wink:

However, each to their own... :flower: It takes a braver lady than I to wear stockings - but then I'm not very brave in the flesh-exposing department.

(No tights with trousers, hot and horrible).

Sparkles
29th-September-2005, 09:53 AM
Best places to go are Freed and Gamba - get tights (as David has suggested) specifically designed for dancing, they really are much better than the average ones you get from Boots etc. They do loads of different styles, including fishnet, but I would recommend the shiny ones to wear with skirts (matt tights under a skirt can often lead to issues of the skirt sticking to the tights and then you look really silly IMO).

Stockings under skirts that flare up are a big no-no IMO. I guess it might 'get the guys going', but I'd much rather they danced with me because of my dancing abilities than to see if they can spin me enough times to give their mates sitting at the sides a thrill :sick:.

SilverFox
29th-September-2005, 09:57 AM
Stockings under skirts that flare up are a big no-no IMO. I guess it might 'get the guys going', but I'd much rather they danced with me because of my dancing abilities than to see if they can spin me enough times to give their mates sitting at the sides a thrill :sick:.Damn! She's on to us guys..... :sad: :devil:

Lynn
29th-September-2005, 10:06 AM
Stockings under skirts that flare up are a big no-no IMO. I guess it might 'get the guys going', but I'd much rather they danced with me because of my dancing abilities than to see if they can spin me enough times to give their mates sitting at the sides a thrill :sick:. :yeah:

Despite my earlier comment, I actually agree with this (was clearly feeling a bit frisky last night!). I think glimpses of stockings aren't really suitable for public displays (in private is a different matter :wink: ).

I also sometimes wear those pop socks under trousers, and would wear tights with a skirt in the winter of course - but prefer the very sheer ones and I guess they would ladder easily if wearing them while dancing. Maybe will check out those dancing ones.

My option is no tights for dancing, but if its cold, bring a pair to put on to go home in, or change into a pair of trousers.

Lou
29th-September-2005, 10:55 AM
The trouble with fishnets is that it gets uncomfortable when toes start poking through. Can anyone recommend any with very reinforced toes? Currently I pop a pair of footsies underneath - but they're still visible & a bit ugly.

Northants Girly
29th-September-2005, 11:45 AM
Have all dancing ladies given up on hosiery? If so, I’m not surprised - having just gone through the toe of yet another new pair of hold-ups - but it’s getting a bit cold for bare legs now – and I’m running out of fake tan!

Can anyone who still does resort to theses pesky items advise me if there any brands / types of hosiery that can stand up to the rigours and demands of a night of dancing? Is there a way to stop the feet from slipping and rotating? Are tights, hold-ups or stockings better? What looks best under a twirly skirt (from a modesty point of view!).

(If this has all been covered before, and you know where, then I’d be glad if you could kindly point me in that direction).I don't bother with tights in the summer but in winter my favourites are Falke Shelena tights which I buy in bulk from MyTights.com (http://www.mytights.com/)

They are completely sheer from toe to waist and make you look like you really have bare legs and no tights on at all! :waycool:

Go for the Indio colour or darker depending on your natural skin colour and you'll look like you have a tan too :D

JoC
29th-September-2005, 12:59 PM
Best places to go are Freed and Gambaand

my favourites are Falke Shelena tights which I buy in bulk from MyTights.com (http://www.mytights.com/)

There are tights beyond Marks & Spencers...? :really:

Donna
29th-September-2005, 05:11 PM
Is there a way to stop the feet from slipping and rotating? Are tights, hold-ups or stockings better? What looks best under a twirly skirt (from a modesty point of view!).

I still wear tights in the winter definately. But halfway throught the night, it tends to get too hot and sticky so then end up taking them off anyway.

My advice to stop your feet from slipping and rotating it to stick bandage like tape on your shoes. It works wonders. :)

drathzel
29th-September-2005, 05:48 PM
and

There are tights beyond Marks & Spencers...? :really:

dont you mean.... there are tights beyond PRIMARK???????????? :rofl: Well thats where i get mine :D

Lynn
29th-September-2005, 06:39 PM
dont you mean.... there are tights beyond PRIMARK???????????? :rofl: Well thats where i get mine :D :rofl: :yeah: And if you look carefully in sale time you can get a pack of 3 for 20p!

under par
29th-September-2005, 06:56 PM
:rofl: :yeah: And if you look carefully in sale time you can get a pack of 3 for 20p!
Yeah but what about tights :whistle: :whistle:

jivecat
29th-September-2005, 10:42 PM
I loathe wearing tights. They are totally unsexy, unglamorous, uncomfortable bits of brown, clammy nastiness. I'd like to wear skirts more but usually avoid wearing them because of the need for tights to preserve some semblance of decency! (I'm with you on this, JoC.) I buy fairly expensive ones from places like Fenwicks and find that they still don't fit. I've tried buying a size bigger than the one recommended but they still have horrible, tight waistbands so sometimes I just cut this bit off. The ones that claim to have no waistbands are just lying.

Lynn
29th-September-2005, 11:16 PM
Would be interested in hearing the male perspective on this (and don't all say you prefer stockings) as I have tended to get the impression that guys don't like tights either (on women I mean - I know there are several guys on here who have worn them :whistle: )

Gojive
29th-September-2005, 11:22 PM
Would be interested in hearing the male perspective on this (and don't all say you prefer stockings) as I have tended to get the impression that guys don't like tights either (on women I mean - I know there are several guys on here who have worn them :whistle: )

Well.....I can't remember too much of the detail, but I do remember watching her toes curl up, and thinking "She hasn't taken her tights off!! :eek: " :worthy: <---turn that smily upside-down to get the picture :wink:

ducasi
30th-September-2005, 12:11 AM
... the need for tights to preserve some semblance of decency! ... As Lynn asks, here's one male perspective...

I don't see how tights preserves any amount of decency... If you're showing your legs, you're showing your legs... If you think it's cold, or don't think you have legs worth showing off, go ahead and wear tights or whatever...

(I'd suggest you get a someone else's opinion of you legs' showing-off worth though. :flower: )

Stockings vs. tights... I don't have a big preference, but I guess I like to see stockings, but it's probably because they present a more interesting "edge", and it's always at edges where the most interesting things happen... :devil:

The thing is, as a guy, I like to see shapely legs and a shapely body. I like seeing smooth, toned, and (subtly) tanned skin. That's what my brain is tuned into. If you can't or don't want to do this, but would prefer to (in some sense) cheat with whatever kind of clothing you care to use, that's cool, but don't be surprised if my undisciplined eyes wander elsewhere...

I guess the bottom line (if you excuse my turn of phrase!) is that even though ultimately I'm interested in a woman as a person, I'd quite like her to look sexy at the same time, and whatever she wants to do to achieve that is fine by me, just so long as she's not compromising her values.

I guess after writing this, I'm going to be stuck on the singleton's sofa forever... :sick:

Oh well, you did ask...

Heather
30th-September-2005, 07:54 AM
I guess after writing this, I'm going to be stuck on the singleton's sofa forever... :sick:

:yeah:

You don't ask for much, do you?

:hug:
Heather.

Heather
30th-September-2005, 08:03 AM
Personally, I hate wearing tights or stockings or popsocks etc.
I love summer because I can go bare legged and wear sandals.
Unfortunately, in winter you have to wear something on your legs, I bought my first pair of tights for 5 months yesterday in Tesco and I'm still debating whether it's cold enough outside today, to have to wear them!!!
As for dancing, I wear trousers 99% of the time but I always wear those little footsie things (also from Tesco), otherwise, I end up with blisters where my shoes rub against my feet. On the few occasions when I wear a skirt for dancing I wear the kind with the built in big pants bit! Generally that lasts for about 1 hour of the evening and then I get changed into trousers!!! :rofl:

:hug: :kiss:
Heather,
xx

Lynn
30th-September-2005, 08:17 AM
As for dancing, I wear trousers 99% of the time but I always wear those little footsie things (also from Tesco), otherwise, I end up with blisters where my shoes rub against my feet. That's the problem I find with the bare legs and skirts dancing combo - even the most comfortable of shoes seem to give me blisters after several hours of dancing in them with bare feet (discovered painfully recently at a swing night!). But even that won't persuade me into tights, I just wear a plaster/moleskin whatever either on my foot or the shoe at the part where it rubs.

Trousers are an easier option when dancing, but sometimes I just want to wear a nice swirly skirt!

ducasi
30th-September-2005, 08:17 AM
You don't ask for much, do you? No, not really... I'm actually very easy to please. :nice: :flower:

Saxylady
30th-September-2005, 01:26 PM
Trousers are an easier option when dancing, but sometimes I just want to wear a nice swirly skirt!

Until recently I wore a skirt only for special occasions, and then it was usually a long one. Now I've started dancing though, I love to wear shortish twirly skirts. Hence my problem with legwear as I have no real experience of tights etc to go on.

Thanks for all the advice so far. I'll look up those references - maybe in the winter I'll wear long woolly legwarmers until I warm up and then go bare-legged.

Anyone know where I can get a cheap sunbed?

clevedonboy
30th-September-2005, 01:59 PM
Anyone know where I can get a cheap sunbed?

Don't know if we have the room for one of those dear, but I've still got that tin of spray on creosote .....

Saxylady
30th-September-2005, 03:30 PM
Don't know if we have the room for one of those dear, but I've still got that tin of spray on creosote .....

Phew - when I saw you'd posted on here I was worried you had a confession to make...

Donna
30th-September-2005, 04:59 PM
[QUOTE=jivecat]I loathe wearing tights. They are totally unsexy, unglamorous, uncomfortable bits of brown, clammy nastiness.

:yeah: I'm not too keen on wearing them either for that reason.

The ones that claim to have no waistbands are just lying.

:confused: No waist bands?? Impossible.....imagine if everybody was wearing them on the dance floor. They'd be falling down to the ankles and everybody would be falling all over the place!! Something I'd definately have to capture on my mob vid recorder and send to you've been framed!!!!! :rofl:

Minnie M
30th-September-2005, 05:37 PM
Yeah but what about tights :whistle: :whistle:
tut tut UP.... lowering the tone again :rolleyes:
now be serious for a moment, where do you buy your tights ? I assume you wear them with your pink tutu

LMC
30th-September-2005, 07:22 PM
tut tut UP.... lowering the tone again :rolleyes:
now be serious for a moment, where do you buy your tights ? I assume you wear them with your pink tutu
Ann Summers does extra long tights and stockings (presumably for the male clientele... )

ElaineB
30th-September-2005, 07:37 PM
Well, for dancing, I go bare in the summer, but in the winter I wear fishnets for week-end dancing and whichever tights are right with the outfit for competitions. I have a pair of danceskin fishnets for competitions as well and they are incrediby strong!

For my social side, depends on how I feel. Simon of course loves women to wear stockings and as he is a simple male, who am I to deny him? :wink:

Elaine

Baruch
30th-September-2005, 07:46 PM
Well, for dancing, I go bare in the summer
Taken out of context, this could arouse a lot of interest from male forumites :wink:

(Baruch searches for somewhere to hide.... :rofl: )

Saxylady
3rd-October-2005, 01:25 PM
Taken out of context, this could arouse a lot of interest from male forumites :wink:

(Baruch searches for somewhere to hide.... :rofl: )

Ahem...I saw Elaine on Saturday...obviously not summer now as she was wearing trousers.

On a more practical note - discovered a way to stop fish-nets cutting into ones big toes by sticking a bit of adhesive moleskin over the ends - of the toes not the tights. It worked a treat. Looks a bit Hobbit-like so not for open-toed shoes.

Northants Girly
15th-February-2006, 01:15 PM
Stumbled across these amazing new tights and just had to share it with you girls!

"Le Bourget's Bio Complex active hair reducing tights (http://www.figleaves.com/uk/product.asp?product_id=LEB-1BT1&mci=&size=&colour=nude), slow hair growth using natural components such as paw paw and soya." :really:

stewart38
15th-February-2006, 01:26 PM

I prefer tights on a women you don’t hit the cellulite until your hands are at the waist line :whistle

Northants Girly
15th-February-2006, 02:05 PM
Found some just for you (http://www.mytights.com/mytights/1485.html) Stewart :D

Mary
15th-February-2006, 02:13 PM
M & S used to do some great ultra-sheer tights that also had a lovely sheen. They were sheer to the waist and fitted beatifully with no movement or twisting and were 20 denier, and pretty hard-wearing. Sadly they no longer make this range, and I haven't found any as good or as comfortable anywhere yet. I think I shall have to resort to dance tights which are much more expensive.

I think tights with dresses (especially if they have a sheen) make the legs look better toned, and smoother lined - even people who already have great legs.

M

Icey
15th-February-2006, 02:39 PM
I think tights with dresses (especially if they have a sheen) make the legs look better toned, and smoother lined - even people who already have great legs.

Unfortunately I have calves like an olympic eastern bloc shot putter so any sheen makes them look even bigger :tears:

Saxylady
15th-February-2006, 03:19 PM
Just read my new Trinny and Susannah book and they say shiny tights make women's legs look like frozen sausages!:sick: They favour fishnets, but I'm worried they might make mine look like fresh caught haddock.

Daisy Chain
15th-February-2006, 08:33 PM
For me...

Yes tights with skirts definitely!!! The very thought of me flashing exposed upper thigh whilst twirling or doing drops is :eek: :eek: :eek: and :rofl: and :sick: . (I favour 'ladder-resist' if wearing a low denier...and I think a variety with reinforced toes exists...perhaps...if you're wearing open toes shoes...)

And big knickers of course. :wink:

I was deeply shocked recently when a lady wearing a gorgeous little flirty skirted black dress started to dance and revealed both cheeks bisected by a miniscule pair of cheesecutters.

She was exceedingly popular with the men :whistle: I wonder if they were all keeping her active for the benefit of the men sitting out an watching.

Daisy

(A Prudish Little Big Knickered Flower)

Saxylady
15th-February-2006, 09:39 PM
I wonder if they were all keeping her active for the benefit of the men sitting out an watching.

You don't really think they'd knowingly do that, do you??? :what: :rofl:

El Salsero Gringo
15th-February-2006, 09:45 PM
You don't really think they'd knowingly do that, do you??? :what: :rofl:Did you not know about the cartel?

Donna
16th-February-2006, 01:34 PM
Unfortunately I have calves like an olympic eastern bloc shot putter so any sheen makes them look even bigger :tears:

Nobody is ever satified with their legs! (me neither:rolleyes: ) One woman told me last night that she never wears a skirt because she has legs like tree trunks!

Does sheen really make your legs look bigger????

Little Em
16th-February-2006, 03:32 PM
i hope they dont as i wore shiny tights last night when i wore a skirt,... jsut so that i didn show everyone my 'cornbeef' legs...

know what i mean girls??... anyone please?>.:tears:

:rofl:

Donna
16th-February-2006, 03:35 PM
i hope they dont as i wore shiny tights last night when i wore a skirt,... jsut so that i didn show everyone my 'cornbeef' legs...

know what i mean girls??... anyone please?>.:tears:

:rofl:

Hope they do..mine that is! I've been toning them up, but would feel more confident wearing shiny tights.

Chicklet
16th-February-2006, 05:42 PM
Less than perfect legs will look better in small hole fishnets. Fact.
Black is best but skin tone also works, and they are not as hot as traditional whole weave items.
Fishnets are also good if you find tights make your feet a bit slippy in high heels, bit grotty in theory but the "science" LOL is that the spaces in the fishnets allow a bit of foot to stick to the soles of your shoes and keep them on without having to use your toes so much.....we girls don't realise how much we use our toes to keep our shoes in the right place until we stop and think about it (or loose the feeling in a foot and wonder why the shoe keeps slipping off :whistle: )

jacksondonut
16th-February-2006, 06:08 PM
Tights...Yuk.. Id rather not really. (get too hot and sweaty)..:eek:

What I do like though, are the Marks and Spencers HoldUps with a really pretty lacy top. Guaranteed not to end up round your ankles in the middle of a dance and still 'holding up' at the end of the evening.!! They are quite robust too. I tend to buy the extra long ones so they go nearly all the way up to the top and cover almost everything. I dont really wear short skirts/dresses so nothing ever pops out unexpectedly!! :eek:

Most of the time I prefer trousers though... so much easier. :wink:

:cheers:

dee
16th-February-2006, 08:26 PM
Tights...Yuk.. Id rather not really. (get too hot and sweaty)..:eek:

What I do like though, are the Marks and Spencers HoldUps with a really pretty lacy top. Guaranteed not to end up round your ankles in the middle of a dance and still 'holding up' at the end of the evening.!! They are quite robust too. I tend to buy the extra long ones so they go nearly all the way up to the top and cover almost everything. I dont really wear short skirts/dresses so nothing ever pops out unexpectedly!! :eek:

Most of the time I prefer trousers though... so much easier. :wink:

Reminds me of the first time we met :rofl:

jacksondonut
17th-February-2006, 02:45 PM
Reminds me of the first time we met :rofl:

Ahhhh, well that night may have been the exception to the rule...:whistle:
:innocent: :devil: sometimes gravity is a bit of a pain.... :rofl:

Donna
17th-February-2006, 02:49 PM
Less than perfect legs will look better in small hole fishnets. Fact.
Black is best but skin tone also works, and they are not as hot as traditional whole weave items.
Fishnets are also good if you find tights make your feet a bit slippy in high heels, bit grotty in theory but the "science" LOL is that the spaces in the fishnets allow a bit of foot to stick to the soles of your shoes and keep them on without having to use your toes so much.....we girls don't realise how much we use our toes to keep our shoes in the right place until we stop and think about it (or loose the feeling in a foot and wonder why the shoe keeps slipping off :whistle: )

I'd imagine fish net tights would get rather irritable on the feet after. If the inside of your shoes are made of suede(like mine) your feet aren't going to go anywhere.

WittyBird
17th-February-2006, 07:28 PM
I'd imagine fish net tights would get rather irritable on the feet after. If the inside of your shoes are made of suede(like mine) your feet aren't going to go anywhere.

I love fishnets wear them all the time. :clap: :clap: Can you buy white fishnet tights as I am struggling for my outfit for tomorrow evening?

Tessalicious
17th-February-2006, 07:32 PM
Can you buy white fishnet tightsYup - probably from a decent fancy dress shop or pretty much any shop in Camden. I can try to pick you some up tomorrow if you're desperate?

dee
17th-February-2006, 07:42 PM
Can you buy white fishnet tights as I am struggling for my outfit for tomorrow evening?

Anne Summers im sure you would get them there :flower:

WittyBird
17th-February-2006, 08:26 PM
I can try to pick you some up tomorrow if you're desperate?
:respect: That would be fabulous if you could lovely lady :cheers:

senorita
17th-February-2006, 08:46 PM
Found some just for you (http://www.mytights.com/mytights/1485.html) Stewart :D

yeah....nice butt :drool: :D

Donna
21st-February-2006, 05:26 PM
I love fishnets wear them all the time. :clap: :clap: Can you buy white fishnet tights as I am struggling for my outfit for tomorrow evening?

Don't think so. You can always bleach them!