PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Goes Dancing

Daisy Chain
28th-September-2005, 12:24 PM
This Saturday BBC1 at 17:45 h.

A prog in which Brucie looks at the high points of dance.

Might be worth watching

Daisy

(A Square-eyed Little Flower)

Gojive
28th-September-2005, 12:52 PM

Might be worth watching

Daisy

Thanks DC. It's on just at the right time too, in between the Rebel Yell workshops, and the evening freestyle :D

Stuart
28th-September-2005, 04:29 PM
Thanks, I'll have to set the video for that.

Stuart
28th-September-2005, 04:33 PM

Might be worth watching

Daisy

Later on at 21:10 on BBC1 according to my TV Guide "Saturday Swings".

"An evening dedicated to the kings and queens of the swing era, with performances of classic songs made famous by Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin. Stars paying tribute include Andy Williams, Jamie Cullum, Katie Melua and Tony Christie".

Daisy Chain
28th-September-2005, 09:14 PM
Oopsy!

Just read the Radio times properly and Brucie is on Sunday at 17:45.

I wonder what Stuart and Gojive will end up with on their videos? :blush:

Daisy

(A Mis-Reading Little Flower)

Gojive
28th-September-2005, 09:39 PM
Oopsy!

Daisy

"Naughty Schoolteacher gets it from..." or whatever else was on the tape I would have over-written :blush: :wink:

Thanks for the correction DC :D

(I was being corrected by a rather large Dutch lady, but I ran out of cash :eek: :na: )

Stuart
28th-September-2005, 09:55 PM
Oopsy!

Daisy

I had actually found out that it was on Sunday.

David Bailey
2nd-October-2005, 06:56 PM
So, what did people think of this?

I loved seeing the history, and the clips - I've got to get "Hellzapoppin' on DVD - but I wasn't so keen on Bruce mugging and hamming it up like crazy.

Couple of things I learnt:
- "Jive" is slang for "not dancing properly" :rofl:
- The Twist is where it all went horribly wrong for partner dancing

Looking forward to the Latin section next Sunday.

Oh yes - why oh why was it buried away in the graveyard "Antiques Roadshow" timeslot? I nearly missed it :mad:

Minnie M
2nd-October-2005, 07:03 PM

I loved seeing the history, and the clips - I've got to get "Hellzapoppin' on DVD - but I wasn't so keen on Bruce mugging and hamming it up like crazy.

Couple of things I learnt:
- "Jive" is slang for "not dancing properly" :rofl:
- The Twist is where it all went horribly wrong for partner dancing

Looking forward to the Latin section next Sunday.

:yeah: :worthy: :yeah:
Managed to find a tape to record it, but had to rewind and lost the first 3/4 mins but will watch again and again. Really loved the old clips AND can show my grandsons that Frankie Manning has given me a kiss of the cheek and I even had a little dance with him ahhhhhh... :drool: :yeah: (sorry had to put that bit in cors I am soooooo chuffed about it - my claim to fame :blush: )

Daisy Chain
2nd-October-2005, 07:17 PM

Oh yes - why oh why was it buried away in the graveyard "Antiques Roadshow" timeslot? I nearly missed it :mad:

I told you about it last Thursday. Admittedly, I did give the wrong night ....

I thought it was quite good for a programme aimed at Muggles.

Loved the step dancing. Michael Flatley :drool: Hated the voguing and that twitchy stuff done at the end with Rita Skeeta in the blue hat.

Depressed to realise that big feet are a Bad Thing.

Daisy

(A Soupl Plated Little flower)

Icey
2nd-October-2005, 07:32 PM
I throughly enjoyed it and will certainly be parking my backside on the sofa for the latin episode next week.

Minnie M
2nd-October-2005, 07:42 PM
.../snip/....I thought it was quite good for a programme aimed at Muggles. .
Muggles ? No I reckon, it was aimed at us dancers - I don't reckon there were many muggles who bothered to watch it - whereas us dancers would not want to miss it :worthy:

I thought it was explaining how our current dancing is not new - Muggles wouldn't be interested in that :really:

.../snip/....Loved the step dancing. Michael Flatley :drool: Hated the voguing and that twitchy stuff done at the end with Rita Skeeta in the blue hat.

I loved it, in fact I loved the whole programme

BTW Glenn Ball (http://www.united-productions.co.uk/b_gb.html) did a cabaret of this dance style at Rebel Yell on Saturday - it was really amazing :worthy:

Daisy Chain
2nd-October-2005, 07:50 PM
Muggles ? No I reckon, it was aimed at us dancers - I don't reckon there were many muggles who bothered to watch it - whereas us dancers would not want to miss it :worthy:

I assumed it was aimed at Muggles because it was scheduled on a Sunday evening just before Antiques Roadshow. Otherwise, it would have been hidden away late at night like Come Dancing used to be in the 1970s.

BTW, Bring back the real CD.

Daisy

Minnie M
2nd-October-2005, 07:54 PM
I assumed it was aimed at Muggles because it was scheduled on a Sunday evening just before Antiques Roadshow. Otherwise, it would have been hidden away late at night like Come Dancing used to be in the 1970s......

Strictly Ballroom and Fever were on early too :innocent:

Cruella
2nd-October-2005, 07:55 PM

I thought it was explaining how our current dancing is not new - Muggles wouldn't be interested in that :really:

I loved it, in fact I loved the whole programme

BTW Glenn Ball (http://www.united-productions.co.uk/b_gb.html) did a cabaret of this dance style at Rebel Yell on Saturday - it was really amazing :worthy:

Oh pants, turned it on for the last ten minutes, forgot all about it! My non dancing husband walked out of the room as soon as i turned it on, so guess Minnies correct, it is aimed at dancers not muggles! Yeh and a superb cabaret it was too, he can certainly move his body. :clap:

Lynn
2nd-October-2005, 08:05 PM
Oh pants, turned it on for the last ten minutes, forgot all about it! :yeah: Only saw the 'street dance' bit. :sad:

Must remember to watch next week.

Getting a little worried about this recent propensity to forgetfulness!

David Bailey
2nd-October-2005, 08:16 PM
:yeah: Only saw the 'street dance' bit. :sad:
You missed all the good stuff!

The whole street dance section, I pretty much dozed off for - it just confirmed my opinion that the 70's and 80's were Best Forgotten for dancers.

Also, with the Boogaloo, for some reason I'd assumed that this would be about Latin. Duh...

Lynn
2nd-October-2005, 08:30 PM
You missed all the good stuff!I know! And I did know it was on...just forgot. :sad: Will really try to remember next time...

bigdjiver
2nd-October-2005, 08:47 PM
I think he said "Jive" means not doing things right, as in Jive talking. In "Don't give me that jive" I think it means "rubbish".

Also interesting the theory that the bigger the feet, the less natural dance ability.

:tears: BigDJiver? :tears:

Stuart
2nd-October-2005, 09:41 PM
I think he said "Jive" means not doing things right, as in Jive talking. In "Don't give me that jive" I think it means "rubbish".

Also interesting the theory that the bigger the feet, the less natural dance ability.

:tears: BigDJiver? :tears:

I haven't watched it yet, but that theory might explain a lot about my dancing ability!

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
2nd-October-2005, 09:48 PM
I throughly enjoyed it and will certainly be parking my backside on the sofa for the latin episode next week.
:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

I especially enjoyed it, however it is making my decision of wether to do Tap or Jazz even harder! And I need to decide by tomorrow! :eek:

David Bailey
3rd-October-2005, 08:26 AM
:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

I especially enjoyed it, however it is making my decision of wether to do Tap or Jazz even harder! And I need to decide by tomorrow! :eek:
Tap.

There, that was easy.

Yogi_Bear
4th-October-2005, 08:27 AM
Videotaped the whole thing and watched it last night.....which was great as I could fast forward through the boring stuff. My verdict - better than expected, though I skipped most of the last 20 minutes or so. There was quite a lot of really good archive footage of lindy hoppers, and I'm glad he had a session with the Nicholas brother and Frankie Manning (would like to have seen more of that, but a good clip of Frankie, Sugar and some other Lindy club dancers)...Also some 'never before seen' rehearsal footage of Fred and Ginger :worthy:

On the whole, I'm looking forward with some anticipation to the latin programme next weekend. Anything that continues to put dance to the forefront and package it for the BBC1 mass audience is a good thing, as far as I'm concerned.

Mostlysane
4th-October-2005, 09:40 AM
I thought it was good fun, very enjoyable. it's great to learn a bit about the history of dance.

It's just a shame they've got Brucie presenting. IMHO, he's great for The Generation Game and the strictly program(s). But not the right one for a series like this. He just wouldn't let some of the interviewee's talk, or dance for that matter. It actually started to iritate me after a while. He's an entertainer not a presenter, i hope he's not going to be the Beeb's only choice for anything dance in the future.

Having said that, will certainly watch the next one, it's fascinating to see where these dance styles came from.

jivecat
4th-October-2005, 07:34 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed it, especially in the fact that dancing seems to have acted as some sort of miracle youth drug on most of the elderly participants.

David Bailey
4th-October-2005, 08:47 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed it, especially in the fact that dancing seems to have acted as some sort of miracle youth drug on most of the elderly participants.
God yes - what was the name of that 90+ year-old guy they showed dancing away, then interviewed? 90-odd, and still dancing better than most of us :worthy:

bigdjiver
4th-October-2005, 08:52 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed it, especially in the fact that dancing seems to have acted as some sort of miracle youth drug on most of the elderly participants.Seeing what they were doing I suspect that all the weak died young.

spindr
4th-October-2005, 10:24 PM
God yes - what was the name of that 90+ year-old guy they showed dancing away, then interviewed? 90-odd, and still dancing better than most of us :worthy:
Ummm,
A wild guess, but could it possibly have been Frankie Manning?

SpinDr.

Minnie M
4th-October-2005, 10:35 PM
Yes it was Frankie Mannie spindr.

Frankie comes to England to teach and dance twice a year at Jumping at the Woodside, Gloscester in April and The Swing Jam. Windsor in August every year. An amazing man :worthy:

Lynn
9th-October-2005, 05:43 PM
Must remember to watch next week. Yeah, I've remembered! Off to watch it now.

And will probably watch Dirty Dancing later (Ch5 8pm) - haven't seen it for years!

Lynn
9th-October-2005, 06:57 PM
Glad I remembered about it this week, very interesting. Bruce’s younger, glamorous wife – he seems very proud of her, which was sweet.
<O:P></O:P>
I noticed he made a couple of comments of music being too loud and needing to use earplugs (noticed it was the salsa club he found this the biggest problem, I have personally also found volume most of a problem with live salsa bands).

The dancing on the roof in Cuba seemed to be very similar to dancing I have seen in West Africa (I spent a little bit of time with an musicologist who took us to see both traditional and contemporary music - this reminded me of the traditional dancing which is still very much a part of village and community life - eg times of celebration).

And nice to see dancers of different ages around the world - happy, friendly people.
<O:P></O:P>

Tiggerbabe
9th-October-2005, 07:16 PM
Glad I remembered about it this week
Me too, Lynn.
I enjoyed the programme (despite not being a huge Brucie fan), especially liked the bits where they showed the "new" moves being done years and years ago :wink:

drathzel
9th-October-2005, 07:49 PM
especially liked the bits where they showed the "new" moves being done years and years ago :wink:

:yeah: i really enjoyed that bit too!:hug:

Alykat
9th-October-2005, 09:03 PM
Does anybody in the London/Surrey area have this on video that I can borrow?

I happened to be in Swing 46 (New York) having a Lindy Lesson the night this was being filmed, which was soooo cool.

This meant I saw Frankie Manning :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: dancing. He was amazing as a dancer, let alone as a 91 year old.

I would love to see some of the footage of him dancing again :flower:

:hug: :kiss:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
9th-October-2005, 10:04 PM
Oh Dear, it seems that I missed the final part of the documentary last night :sad: I'm not best pleased, any lovely forumites in the Glasgow area have it taped, and can offer it on loan to me? I promise to give you it back! :nice:
Ash x

Lindsay
9th-October-2005, 10:10 PM
Videotaped the whole thing and watched it last night.....which was great as I could fast forward through the boring stuff. My verdict - better than expected, though I skipped most of the last 20 minutes or so. There was quite a lot of really good archive footage of lindy hoppers, and I'm glad he had a session with the Nicholas brother and Frankie Manning (would like to have seen more of that, but a good clip of Frankie, Sugar and some other Lindy club dancers)...Also some 'never before seen' rehearsal footage of Fred and Ginger :worthy: On the whole, I'm looking forward with some anticipation to the latin programme next weekend. Anything that continues to put dance to the forefront and package it for the BBC1 mass audience is a good thing, as far as I'm concerned.

Anyone able to post a copy ???:D :D
Happy to cover all costs.....

David Bailey
9th-October-2005, 10:24 PM
I loved it - much more so than last week's.

Some random comments:
- Why oh WHY did the Beeb hide this programme away on the post-Songs of Praise slot? Why not Saturday early evening? It'd make so much more sense - get people in the "dance mood" for SCD next week... :mad:
- Oscar Hernandez and his explanation of the basic Latin rhythm was superb.
- Bruce's wife : :drool:
- I hope the Mambo Kings show comes to the UK at some point
- Bomba: I'm sorry, that dance does nothing for me...
- Bruce "I've spent six months trying to understand what salsa is..." Heh, haven't we all. If anyone ever does, please let me know.
- "In Cuba, the cha-cha is sexier". Well, duh, isn't everything?
- "HP salsa" :rofl:
- Benny More: OK, that's the 124th "father of salsa" then... :rolleyes:
- Why no mention of Miami? :confused:
- I can die happy without ever seeing Bruce Forsythe pole-dancing again.

Great couple of programmes; a bit uneven in places, and I'd have liked it to be a proper series rather than a 2-hander, but lovely to see all the same.

Lynn
9th-October-2005, 10:35 PM
- Why oh WHY did the Beeb hide this programme away on the post-Songs of Praise slot? Why not Saturday early evening? It'd make so much more sense - get people in the "dance mood" for SCD next week... :mad: I thought that too, esp with Bruce as SCD host and with it being on the week before SCD starts - though they did clearly link it in with the SCD trailer straight after.

bigdjiver
9th-October-2005, 11:45 PM
There has been an awesome collection of talent and people with dance tales to tell, probably enough to fill a twelve part 30 min series, and we kept seeing Bruce instead.

CeeCee
10th-October-2005, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by DJ
I can die happy without ever seeing Bruce Forsythe pole-dancing again.

:yeah:

I appreciate that Bruce is keen interested and popular (with some) but poor Brucie seems to have lost the plot. During his chat about 'the Bomba' I was amazed to hear him say (at 17.59 precisely),

"I hope you notice that there are no instruments, it's just drums..."

I'd love to know what Evelyn Glennie has to say about that! He has probably insulted all of the amateur and professional percussionists around the world (if only they were watching the programme).

Heather
10th-October-2005, 07:46 AM
:yeah:

I appreciate that Bruce is keen interested and popular (with some) but poor Brucie seems to have lost the plot. During his chat about 'the Bomba' I was amazed to hear him say (at 17.59 precisely),

"I hope you notice that there are no instruments, it's just drums..."

I'd love to know what Evelyn Glennie has to say about that! He has probably insulted all of the amateur and professional percussionists around the world (if only they were watching the programme).

Well I understood what he meant!! He meant tuned instruments ! Drums are untuned! Give the man a break!!!
I'm not really a Brucie fan either but unlike others on here I do think he's the right man to front the show - he especially seems to connect with the older and ordinary people featured on the show. He went down a storm with what seemed to be the oldies dance club in Cuba!!:clap:
I enjoyed the show and agree it could have been made into a longer series.
:hug: :kiss:
Heather,
xx

Tiggerbabe
10th-October-2005, 08:00 AM
Well I understood what he meant!! .................Give the man a break!!!

Whilst even my 10 year old picked up on the mistake, it was obviously just a poor choice of words. I think Bruce's love of dance (and profile here, at least) made him an obvious choice to front the programme and as Heather says, the ladies seemed to like him :wink:

David Bailey
10th-October-2005, 09:15 AM
Well I understood what he meant!! He meant tuned instruments ! Drums are untuned! Give the man a break!!!
What, we're not allowed to criticize, just because we like the programme?

Other things I thought were less-than-ideal were Bruce's mooning around with his wife - it almost felt like a holiday programme on a couple of occasions. Given the very short amount of time the programme had to work with, every minute of film was important - and to me, the "here's me serenading my wife" bit was bland and pointless.

On balance, I am a Bruce fan - he's clearly enthusiastic and committed to dance, and that in itself makes me a fan. And I loved both programmes, as I said, and I wanted more of them. And I'm very much looking forward to SCD 3 starting on Saturday.

But that doesn't mean I've no critical faculties left. Hell, half the fun is in criticism.