PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best thing you have ever bought

stewart38
28th-September-2005, 11:39 AM
Ok, as I don't have a digital camera :blush: , most of my photos are not on the computer and I have to ask friends who do have digital cameras for copies of any pictures of me.

I bought a digital camera (my first) in August for my holiday

At half price £149 it has to be the best thing I've ever bought

I can take 100 shots of myself delete them all when i think done are no good

I can post pics easy (and get into trouble , sorry :sad: )

Zoom in and out and do all sorts and save then etc etc

Im sure ill get out of the phase of zapping everything soon

TiggsTours
28th-September-2005, 11:44 AM
I'd have to list a few:

1. My old car, not the one I have now, or even the one before that, but the one before! Unfortunately it met a grisly end in a garage fire, but I loved it so. :tears:

2. Digital camera, absolutely, with you on that one.

3. Hopefully my new ski boots, that I'm picking up tonight.

4. My digeridoo, which I'm struggling to play.

5. A mask from every country I visited last year, now I just need somewhere to display them all.

Lynn
28th-September-2005, 11:48 AM
A black sleeveless top that was about £5 - I have worn it hillwalking, dancing, to the gym (only once, I'm not a member of a gym but if I was I could wear it!), to job interviews, on holiday... It goes with almost any outfit (esp in my wardrobe!), comes out of the washing machine not needing ironed, packs without creasing and looks as new as the day I bought it.

Little Monkey
28th-September-2005, 11:49 AM
My dog.

She cost the grand sum of £25, and is now my bestestest friend. She gives very nice cuddles, works as my personal trainer and alarm clock, and is also an excellent anti-depresant (without any side effects!!). She's a fantastic burglar alarm, hillwalking companion, and someone to talk to at work (better than talking to the wall!!). Oh, and she's much better entertainment than TV! :D

Apart from this, she's a conversation starter, and a way to meet new people in the park. And she doesn't snore, leave the toilet seat up, lie (well, occasionally she tries to look innocent when she's guilty....), watch footie on tv etc etc.

Best bargain ever!

LM

Purple Sparkler
28th-September-2005, 12:37 PM
Presents for other people.

Some of the best I've done have included:

Hiring Abba costumes- me and 3 friends did an Abba tribute band for my friend's 21st. That involved spending money.

Copies of the Evening Standard for my London-born Mum whenever I'm going home for the weekend.

A teddy bear that said 'I'm using this device to watch you from space' when you pressed its tummy (yay for the Bear Workshop at Hamleys).

Biscuits and food from their homeland for various foreign friends. This is by far the best one- it's always appreciated if they've been in the UK for a while. And vice versa- my gifts to my best friend, who lives in the States, often include English food like Monster Munch and Prawn Cocktail crisps.

Lynn
28th-September-2005, 12:49 PM
Presents for other people. ...Hiring Abba costumes- me and 3 friends did an Abba tribute band for my friend's 21st. That involved spending money. I once got my boyfriend a 'learn to drive a steam train'* one day course because he was really interested in steam trains. Expensive but worth it, he really loved it!

Biscuits and food from their homeland for various foreign friends. This is by far the best one- it's always appreciated if they've been in the UK for a while. And vice versa- my gifts to my best friend, who lives in the States, often include English food like Monster Munch and Prawn Cocktail crisps. Yes, I once took Marmite out to someone in Nigeria!

*Well it was actually called a 'Footplate Experience Course' but that probably wouldn't mean anything to those not familiar with steam trains. He did get to drive it (with passengers) all afternoon.

TiggsTours
28th-September-2005, 12:54 PM
I hadn't thought about presents!

I bought an ex-boyfriend a micro-light flight, and I also spent months getting a collection of his photos (he's a really keen photographer, but never does anything with them) together and putting them together into an album, the idea was for him to have it as a coffee table book, guess I should have bought him a coffee table to put it on too!

I also bought my bestfriend tea at the Ritz for her birthday this year. I bought my mum a weekend in a spa, and my parents a weekend in Edinburgh for their wedding anniversary. Ooh, and I bought another friend an orangutang!

ElaineB
28th-September-2005, 09:50 PM
A horse! Not sure my Bank Manager would have agreed though!!! And no, I didn't bank with Lloyds, despite my horse being jet black.............

Elaine

Gojive
28th-September-2005, 09:58 PM
A horse! Not sure my Bank Manager would have agreed though!!! And no, I didn't bank with Lloyds, despite my horse being jet black.............

Elaine

A horse?! :eek: ....I bet that set you back a few bucks!. You must have a pretty stable income Elaine :waycool:

I'll just get my reins......

Stuart
28th-September-2005, 10:02 PM
A kitchen knife when I was a student. I payed less £1 for it over 20 years ago and have never had to sharpen it. It still cuts as well as it did then. Sadly I had to dispose of the scissors that I bought at the same time a couple of weeks ago as the handle broke.

Minnie M
28th-September-2005, 10:03 PM
My GPS :clap:

Gojive
28th-September-2005, 10:12 PM
A kitchen knife when I was a student. I payed less £1 for it over 20 years ago and have never had to sharpen it. It still cuts as well as it did then. Sadly I had to dispose of the scissors that I bought at the same time a couple of weeks ago as the handle broke.

I hope you weren't too cut up about it Stuart :) :na:

My GPS

Aha! You've prompted me to think of my best (or at least one of my best) buys....my pocket pc. It now funtions as an MP3 player for the car, sat nav when walking, an all-in-one remote control for my a/v devices, a phone, a voice recorder, a decent size photo reviewer, a full screen touch keyboard for SMS messaging, a diary, contacts, scribble pad, etc, etc..... :waycool:

stewart38
28th-September-2005, 10:40 PM
I hope you weren't too cut up about it Stuart :) :na:

No he got them for a snip !

Baby Peaches
29th-September-2005, 10:47 AM
I hadn't thought about presents!

I bought an ex-boyfriend a micro-light flight, and I also spent months getting a collection of his photos (he's a really keen photographer, but never does anything with them) together and putting them together into an album, the idea was for him to have it as a coffee table book, guess I should have bought him a coffee table to put it on too!

I also bought my bestfriend tea at the Ritz for her birthday this year. I bought my mum a weekend in a spa, and my parents a weekend in Edinburgh for their wedding anniversary. Ooh, and I bought another friend an orangutang!

WOW!!! Can I be your new best friend?? :wink:

Best thing I have bought is an autumn rust coloured jacket I bought in Milan a couple of years ago. I can wear it with loads of things and nobody else has one but they all want it!! :yum:
As a family, the best thing we have bought has to be our Kelly Kettle which we use when we go camping. Great invention, it's fantastic! :worthy:

The best presents I have had has to be my flying lesson, that was fab, and my signed photos of Brad, Robbie and Enrique that I got for my 30th. I :drool: over them every night! Oh, and the lovely bits of jewellery my husband brings home for me on a whim. :hug:

Anna
29th-September-2005, 12:02 PM
oOo tough question.. hmm..

*Anna's Winter Season Must haves* - the things I have been SO glad that I bought

1. Cream coat by an overpriced English designer.. so worth it, have worn it to and from dance destinations all season

2. Diesel jeans.. still overpriced (out here anyway) but I don't know wat else I would have worn.. wranglers don't have enough stretch in them for dancing

3. Black cashmere jersey - excellent for wearing under cream coat and over a slinky dance top while en route or when warming up.. Note: I do take the coat off before I start warming up ;)

4. Another pair of Dance naturals black latin shoes.. soo comfy :drool:

But best ever I would probably have to say my i-pod. I don't think I could survive without it...

and what I will have to invest in next, some of the WCS shoes.. mmmmhmm, now they look ultra comfy...

Rhythm King
29th-September-2005, 12:08 PM
My digital camera has to be right up there. My leather flying jacket, 20 years old next year, and getting a bit snug now, but I still fly (and pose :devil: ) in it.
I think the most practical thing I've bought was my Berghaus Munro 35 litre daysack, in the early 80's. It's seen operational/active service in The Falklands, Northern Ireland, The Gulf, North Africa and Bosnia. More exercises than you can shake a stick at, in UK, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, America, Scandinavia etc. I've used it as a pillow, a dance bag, on the motor bike, on holiday and now it's my briefcase. The elastic has gone around the lid and one of the plastic buckles is damaged, but it's still going strong. I can't imagine not having it. If it could talk, I'm sure it would have some tall tales to tell.
I have to agree though I have derived the greatest pleasure from things I have bought as gifts for other people.

Icey
29th-September-2005, 01:49 PM
The best item I have bought giftwise for a long time was the family portrait I gave my parents for their 30th wedding anniversary. They had always wanted to get one done but didn't really have the money for it, so I arranged one. They absolutely loved it.

Daisy
29th-September-2005, 01:53 PM
A ticket to sunny Australia :whistle:

Two arm chairs...should have cost $49 but were on managers bargin for $18 each.......equiv = £6.50

Better than sitting on the floor till our furniture arrives here! :clap:

Ray's best thing was his marriage licence when we got married....what a bargin for £64. :rofl:

Luv ya & miss ya
Jane x :flower:

Daisy
29th-September-2005, 01:56 PM

Oh yeh, and Ray's GPS cos without it he'd still be looking for the way out of Sydney Airport carpark!! :rolleyes:

philsmove
29th-September-2005, 10:29 PM
Top of the list has to my house

After that my dansneaker capezio’s

LMC
29th-September-2005, 10:31 PM
Ooooh, didn't think of my house - probably because I don't actually own most of it yet :sad: . But definitely has to be the best thing I ever bought - it needs a lot of work, but it's home :na:

Baruch
29th-September-2005, 11:52 PM
My best buy would have to be my guitar, a red Jackson Professional. It's lovely to play, has a great sound and really looks good (at least, to an unreconstructed 80s metalhead like me!).

(I would have said my dog and ferrets, but as they're all either rescued or re-homed, I got them for nothing so they don't count. They've cost me plenty since, though!)

jockey
30th-September-2005, 11:02 PM
Though I can recall the odd "teething problem"....... :devil: :rofl:

Gadget
1st-October-2005, 12:00 AM
Best buy has to be my Jacobean jacket: marked down from £65 to £30... because it was on the wrong rail, and should be at full price of £120 :D {I got it for £30}

Other than that, a bar of Asda's own dark chocolate and a packet of smart price ginger nuts; eaten at the same time... yum. definetly a best buy.

My ticket to the BFG looks like being one of the best buys of the year, and I don't think I would be as confident, happy, and contented if I had not bought my membership to Ceroc.

Everything else in life that brings me joy, money can't buy :waycool: :hug:.

filthycute
1st-October-2005, 12:34 PM
My best thing recently would be my International Line dance shoes.....black patent....oooooo! and comfy.......ooooooooo!.....i love them :flower:

My best gift i bought for someone would be the mini ipod i bought James for his birthday. Now i'm an ipod widow :o

And speaking of gifts i had a wonderful surprise yesterday when i came home from work. Having just recently started new job....in a bar.....the smoke is killing me.....i've not slept for nights for coughing....so i'm a miserable wee sod....finished at 10pm and came home to wonderful pressies from my dearly beloved :clap: New boxes to transport all my equipment to my first wedding exhibition, a new suede folder (it was expensive, i've been eyeing it up for some time now :whistle: ), other accessories and the best ever......
a new gym membership!!!!!!!! :clap: I had to cancel mine when i stopped working and i've been soooooooooooooooo sad and fat :tears:

Guess where i'll be first thing tomorrow morning :whistle: :clap:

And i'm working a wedding today at the hotel......nice...i love weddings i do :na:

All is good at the Lees/Hutton household

fc x

ps no ladies you cannot have him....he's all mine :rofl: