PDA

View Full Version : Fake tan for ceroc comps?

Gary
28th-September-2005, 02:10 AM
Hi. There's been a bit of discussion on the cerocforum.com site with some folks talking about how to do fake tan well, and other folks (well, me) saying it'd be a shame if ceroc comps got more like dancesport comps with lots of fake tan and expensive costumes, and yet other folks saying it's already been going on for a while.

I was wondering how much fake tan gets used in UK comps, and if anyone else is bugged by the idea?

Piglet
28th-September-2005, 07:06 AM
Hi Gary!

I used fake tan because I wouldn't have wanted to inflict my pealy-wally legs on anyone watching! Mind you, have got to say that not one person commented - so either it didn't work and they were being polite, or it was so subtly done (that was the idea!) that they didn't notice the difference :nice:

Bet you have no problem with tanning being Australian though, huh? It's a bit different here in cold Aberdeen - honest :( Although I've said before - fake tans are the healthier option I think.

Anna
28th-September-2005, 07:54 AM
To tan or not to tan, that is the question..

I decided not to use fake tan for the NZ Ceroc champs earlier this year and definitely regretted it.

EVERYONE else was sporting a lovely (real or imitation) sunkissed glow and I was as pale as.. well, a vampiress. Which is my natural colour. My dance partner at the time suggested that I stay with my pale skin for the comp because it looked "striking" with my dark hair.. remind me never to listen to men about anything to do with beauty ever again :whistle:

David Bailey
28th-September-2005, 08:26 AM
Competitions are very visual events - it's not enough to be a sh@t-hot dancer, you have to attract the attention of the judges, and "presentation" is a factor I believe. You don't see many competition winners in plain T-shirts.

So, yes, there's going to be fake tan; it's like sequins, or for that matter, good costumes.

But why should fake tan specifically be a problem?

JoC
28th-September-2005, 11:27 AM
Mind you, have got to say that not one person commented - so either it didn't work and they were being polite, or it was so subtly done (that was the idea!) that they didn't notice the difference :nice:
It was very subtly done, you always have a lovely glow about you anyway Pamela. :flower:

Lynn
28th-September-2005, 11:44 AM
I naturally tend towards a slightly olive skin tone anyway (not typical Irish colouring I know!) but (esp if I was wearing a short skirt in a winter comp) I would probably would opt for some fake tan - I'm a fan of it as I'm wary of sun skin damage. You can have enough just to have a nice 'glow' which would make you feel more confident (always important in a competition) without having to be 'orange'!

ducasi
28th-September-2005, 01:02 PM
It was very subtly done, you always have a lovely glow about you anyway Pamela. :flower:
:yeah:

Too much makes people think "fake tan", rather than "cool dancer!" :waycool:

Stuart
28th-September-2005, 04:27 PM
Hi. There's been a bit of discussion on the cerocforum.com site with some folks talking about how to do fake tan well, and other folks (well, me) saying it'd be a shame if ceroc comps got more like dancesport comps with lots of fake tan and expensive costumes, and yet other folks saying it's already been going on for a while.

I was wondering how much fake tan gets used in UK comps, and if anyone else is bugged by the idea?

I was on a training course for work down in Bournemouth many years ago. At the same time they happened to be filming "Come Dancing" at the Exhibition Centre. It was easy to spot the competitors around town, because you don't get many orange people usually in Bournemouth in January!

Jeremy
29th-September-2005, 08:38 AM
Bet you have no problem with tanning being Australian though, huh? It's a bit different here in cold Aberdeen - honest :(

If you get the timing of sun exposure and sun cream protection right then you can get a nice natural tan. Any mistakes means you are bright red and quite sore - worse off than being white IMHO.

Piglet
29th-September-2005, 01:16 PM
If you get the timing of sun exposure and sun cream protection right then you can get a nice natural tan. Any mistakes means you are bright red and quite sore - worse off than being white IMHO.

It sounds good to me, but we need to get some sun first for that to happen! And we're lucky if we get 2 weeks of nice weather here! (Some other Aberdonian back me up please)

Besides I'm a freckly type - and proud of it! :clap:

Daisy
29th-September-2005, 02:08 PM
Hi Gary

I would go for the fake tan every time....lots of girls/women do it as a matter of course these days rather than exposing themselves to the harmful effects of the sun.

Some of the UK comps are on the wrong side of summer and there's nothing worse than unwrapping yourself from your winter woolies, donning the lycre & sequins and looking like a plasty face :sick: much better to have a bit of colour, but try to avoid the Donny & Gaynor Permtan look. :eek:

Here in Aus there shouldn't be too much of a problem maintaining a bit of natural tan year round I wouldn't have thought. Mind you some girls have beautiful porcelain skin and look stunning, especially wearing dark, strong colours.

Guys I not so sure about. :confused:

Jane :flower:

Will
29th-September-2005, 03:57 PM
I remember turning up at the C2D comp in Blackpool one year and seeing what appeared to be a large "Sultana" walking towards me in the street.

Then as it got closer it evidently had a kiwi accent and answered to the name of "James Geary".

Donna
29th-September-2005, 05:03 PM
I remember turning up at the C2D comp in Blackpool one year and seeing what appeared to be a large "Sultana" walking towards me in the street.

Then as it got closer it evidently had a kiwi accent and answered to the name of "James Geary".

:rofl: :rofl:

The last spray tan I had done was a disaster! I looked like I just came out of a coal mine!!! That was especially for the competition at Western super mare as well. Glad it started to fade by then but will not be going to the place I always get it done as they have changed the colour.

I think for a dance comp it's important to wear fake tan. If not, then you will stand out like a sore thumb against all the other brown bodies whizzing around the floor. I'll be getting one shortly for the Britroc comp.

Went to a ballroom comp at Stockport last Sunday, and one of the girls had highly noticable streaks at the back of her legs...which was :rofl:

Missy D
29th-September-2005, 05:46 PM

:rofl: :rofl:

Missy D
29th-September-2005, 05:54 PM
Wheneven i compete i always wear a bit of fake tan especially on my legs. Otherwise i would have to wear a pair of those awful thick dance tights (the thought of them makes me itch)..

I would also never wear that foundation stuff and powder that some women wear that cracks when you smile..

If anyone wants to know which is the best fake tan to buy then i would suggest 'self tanning instant gel' by Clarins. Its brilliant and doesnt go all streaky and leave you looking like Jaguar woman..

Anna
13th-October-2005, 09:46 AM
I just got a spray tan and I'm really happy with it!!! :D

Yep, I definitely look the part of an authentic Salsera now.. for the next 10 days anyway.. :whistle:

AND it was only $45, awesome eh !

- Anna the freshly bronzed goddess of tan

El Salsero Gringo
13th-October-2005, 09:54 AM
Pictures, please?

:whistle:

WittyBird
13th-October-2005, 10:57 AM
I just got a spray tan and I'm really happy with it!!! :D

Yep, I definitely look the part of an authentic Salsera now.. for the next 10 days anyway.. :whistle:

AND it was only $45, awesome eh !

- Anna the freshly bronzed goddess of tan

i got one of those done a few weeks before i went on holiday it was great for the first day but after that i looked like an Ooompa Lumpa
then i ended up with more streaks than a salon :rofl:

Anna
6th-November-2005, 01:08 AM
Pictures, please?

:whistle:

just found them :D check out how natural it looks..

Gadget
6th-November-2005, 02:12 PM
Sorry; what looks natural? :blush: Where am I meant to be looking again??

Anna
7th-November-2005, 03:57 AM
The boob job I just had ... :rolleyes: No silly, the tan. It looks fairly natural yes? Well it did in real life anyway :D

cerocmetro
7th-November-2005, 04:58 AM
To tan or not to tan, that is the question..

I decided not to use fake tan for the NZ Ceroc champs earlier this year and definitely regretted it.

EVERYONE else was sporting a lovely (real or imitation) sunkissed glow and I was as pale as.. well, a vampiress. Which is my natural colour. My dance partner at the time suggested that I stay with my pale skin for the comp because it looked "striking" with my dark hair.. remind me never to listen to men about anything to do with beauty ever again :whistle:

STOP PRESS!!!
I happened to have been a judge at that competition. Let me be so bold as to put our UK readers more in the picture here.

From what i remember, Anna, you are 15, look 22, you are drop dead georgeous, wore a micro school girl skirt, an incredibly brief top, I have seen larger bikinis and you dance amazingly. You are perhaps one of the top five dancers in NZ.

Now let me think, would a fake tan have helped:whistle:

Now without being too controversial, 4 teams were disqualified, several results were surprising to say the least.

No don't fake Tan the girls here would hate you:rofl:

Adam

Anna
7th-November-2005, 05:21 AM
STOP PRESS!!!
I happened to have been a judge at that competition. Let me be so bold as to put our UK readers more in the picture here.

From what i remember, Anna, you are 15, look 22, you are drop dead georgeous, wore a micro school girl skirt, an incredibly brief top, I have seen larger bikinis and you dance amazingly. You are perhaps one of the top five dancers in NZ.

Now let me think, would a fake tan have helped:whistle:

Now without being too controversial, 4 teams were disqualified, several results were surprising to say the least.

No don't fake Tan the girls here would hate you:rofl:

Adam

:blush: :blush: :blush: ... Nah uh, the britney get-up was at the after party :devil:

and you're darned right it would've helped - getting into the final would have been nice! (bloody australians.. *mutter mutter*)

Kev F
7th-November-2005, 07:04 AM
Hi Gary

Just wanted to point out the down side of fake tan.

I was watching a ballroom competition last month at the albert hall and obviously all the latin competitors were 'tanned up'. The only problem was that the more they danced and sweated the more the tan was coming off on their partners clothes, almost to the point that they looked like they had been rolling in the dirt:eek:.

IMO, once you are competition fake tanned.... only dance with ladies/men who are not wearing white :whistle: