PDA

View Full Version : Check Check??

filthycute
27th-September-2005, 11:13 AM
Been meaning to post this for a while now cause it really grates me...

Check check's suck.
The only thing they seem to do is give people the bad habit of over turning constantly......another one of my bug bears... :mad:
What is the reason for people teaching them and claiming they are "Style points" :confused: IMHO i think they look rubbish (specially when you add on the flicky-out-hand-touching-the-side-of-your-face-thingy) *hysterical vomity smilie*

Ok thats all :cheers:

fc x

Feeling harsh today :rofl:

David Bailey
27th-September-2005, 11:28 AM
Check check's suck.
Err... what are they?

Feeling harsh today :rofl:
Feeling dumb today...

El Salsero Gringo
27th-September-2005, 11:37 AM
Err... what are they?

Feeling dumb today...
Me too.

killingtime
27th-September-2005, 11:38 AM
Err... what are they?

Feeling dumb today...

Err; I think... if you've just come from a left hand return you would extend your hand right (turning the woman out to the right side) then sweep down and back. She can do something all stylish with her right hand if she likes. I don't really lead them but I think they can look good in the right place.

filthycute
27th-September-2005, 11:42 AM
Err... what are they?

Exactly!

Instead of stepping straight back at the end of a move the lady would step back and out a quarter turn left on the left foot, then step forward and quarter turn right on the right foot. To add even more style you can flick your left arm out when stepping left, and with a sharp flick, bring it back at the same time as the right foot, tracing it down past your head and face. The timing would be done just same as a step back. Not sure if thats a good discription :o but something like that. Believe me....it's even worse in real life :sick:

The step left is on the and beat and the step right is on the whole.
and 1 = check check...

fc x

Rhythm King
27th-September-2005, 11:48 AM
Ooh I haven't done that for ages! Michaela Walker used to teach them, but they always looked really stylish when she did them - but then everything she does looks really stylish. There are a couple of girls on the London scene who were originally taught by Mick, and they stand out a mile, because of their smooth style and elegant spare arms. I take your point though, the check-check has the potential to look really naff.

David Bailey
27th-September-2005, 12:07 PM
{ description }
:confused: I don't think I've ever encountered these.

Of course, it's possible I have, and didn't recognise them, just thought "Footwork? Pah..." or something.

bigdjiver
27th-September-2005, 12:18 PM
With the right music and the right girl, I like Check-Check.

Trish
27th-September-2005, 12:21 PM
Ooh I haven't done that for ages! Michaela Walker used to teach them, but they always looked really stylish when she did them - but then everything she does looks really stylish. There are a couple of girls on the London scene who were originally taught by Mick, and they stand out a mile, because of their smooth style and elegant spare arms. I take your point though, the check-check has the potential to look really naff.

:yeah: Looks good when Mick does it :worthy: ! Although I can't agree that everything she does is really stylish - ever seen her do a body roll? :sick:

I think sometimes they can look good, but IMHO it depends on:

a) whether the guy can lead them properly so's not to send the girl off balance by pulling too hard

b) whether they suit the music (can't see it works if you've got something really fast for example)

c) whether the girl has the right type of style (Only seems to work with some styles of dancing but can't quite put my finger on it. Can anyone explain to me what I mean here?!)

d) how often they're done - too often looks really naff.

Only my opinion - please feel free to flame me!

Trish
27th-September-2005, 12:24 PM
:confused: I don't think I've ever encountered these.

Of course, it's possible I have, and didn't recognise them, just thought "Footwork? Pah..." or something.

Maybe they're a Ceroc Central phenomenon - not sure where FC dances.

robd
27th-September-2005, 12:32 PM
Maybe they're a Ceroc Central phenomenon - not sure where FC dances.

Not so much about the check-check though the Monday night teacher at Cambridge mentions it quite a lot but I think the spare arm styling is very much a Mick Walker thing. I went to Bedford on a Thurs a few weeks back and even to my eyes (which are used to seeing some flourishes from Cambridge ladies) it seemed that just about every lady there had the spare arm out to the left whilst dancing.

Keith
27th-September-2005, 12:32 PM
If not mistaken, which I often am! Is this style point not taken from Salsa/Latin Ballroom?
Where timing is everything, compared to Jive, where you see girls being put into spins on the 1,2,3,4,5 etc etc. hence often looking naff as they are rarely taught it properly, nor consistently in every class. So it never becomes natural and rarely is the girl given the time to make the move look good?
I still think given the chance it looks better than having the arm dragging along the dance floor, not knowing quite what to do with itself :confused:
Not sure of the foot pattern, this normally just causes unnecessary delay for the lead & fear for the not so seasoned. :whistle:

azande
27th-September-2005, 12:47 PM
I think these are the prerogative of just one teacher here in Scotland ( :wink: ), I normally don't use them and I personally think they could only be useful for leading a break or a change of tempo in the music from upbeat to slow since in my experience they tend to slow down the lady after a return.

Dazzle
27th-September-2005, 01:23 PM
Still feeling dumb on this one :what: :confused: (no comments please Keith matey!), but is this the same as the Return Check? If it is, the person in this area who is a Goddess of that is Paula. However, only a few do actually use it and it tends to be those that can pull it off.

Petal
27th-September-2005, 01:33 PM
Me too.

and me. The only time i've heard of this was in one double trouble work shop, but never anywhere else. :confused:

Gojive
27th-September-2005, 02:30 PM
Worse still, are check-checks that bounce.....

Sorry, I'll just get my coat and be on my way :na:

Trish
27th-September-2005, 02:40 PM
If not mistaken, which I often am! Is this style point not taken from Salsa/Latin Ballroom?
Where timing is everything, compared to Jive, where you see girls being put into spins on the 1,2,3,4,5 etc etc. hence often looking naff as they are rarely taught it properly, nor consistently in every class. So it never becomes natural and rarely is the girl given the time to make the move look good?
I still think given the chance it looks better than having the arm dragging along the dance floor, not knowing quite what to do with itself :confused:
Not sure of the foot pattern, this normally just causes unnecessary delay for the lead & fear for the not so seasoned. :whistle:

Yes, I think you're right, this probably is from Latin - Mick Walker won a lot of Latin competitions before she started doing Ceroc.

For those that are still confused the check check as I understand it is the guy leading across his body and then out to the side after a return. If this works the lady will do a kind of swerving motion on the off beat (theoretically with an interesting spare arm). Sounds like it should be called a "return check" Dazzle, but I don't know if that's the same thing.

azande
27th-September-2005, 02:43 PM

Shouldn't they be check-checks that bounce-bounce.......?

David Bailey
27th-September-2005, 02:48 PM
For those that are still confused the check check as I understand it is the guy leading across his body and then out to the side after a return. If this works the lady will do a kind of swerving motion on the off beat (theoretically with an interesting spare arm). Sounds like it should be called a "return check" Dazzle, but I don't know if that's the same thing.
You know, maybe it's the glass of wine I had at lunch, but I still can't envisage this one, I'll have to get someone clever to demonstrate it for me.

I don't think it sounds like any kind of cross-body lead I'm familiar with from salsa - they seem to be more pulling the lady to the man's right and forward, rather than this one.

Confused Of Finchley...

Gojive
27th-September-2005, 02:52 PM
Shouldn't they be check-checks that bounce-bounce.......?

Only if it follows a yo-yo :D

Rhythm King
27th-September-2005, 02:59 PM
You know, maybe it's the glass of wine I had at lunch, but I still can't envisage this one, I'll have to get someone clever to demonstrate it for me.

I don't think it sounds like any kind of cross-body lead I'm familiar with from salsa - they seem to be more pulling the lady to the man's right and forward, rather than this one.

Confused Of Finchley...

I'm having difficulty thinking of how to explain it other than has been done before, but it's led by the man taking the left hand across the body and twisting it (gently!) clockwise then back and anti clockwise, which causes something a little similar to the way a lady does a "twist-twist" at the end of a lindy turn. Make any sense?

David Bailey
27th-September-2005, 03:07 PM
{ good explanation }
Make any sense?
It sort of sounds like what I imagined, but it also sounds a bit silly.

So unless I can see it being done, I can't imagine why anyone would do it...

Rhythm King
27th-September-2005, 03:16 PM

Like any of the odd twitches, hops, slides, etc, that people do - at the right time in the music, if done properly, it can look and feel terrific.

Trish
27th-September-2005, 04:56 PM

It sounds more like you're thinking of it as a move - but in my mind it's more of a "flourish" than a move - a little add-on than only takes a beat. I can see why you might think it would look silly (and as FC said it can), but honestly it can look good.

If there is any likelihood of you, me and RK being in the same place at the same time if he'd oblige I'd give it a go (might turn out stylish, or might turn out pants, not sure!)

But unless either of you happen to be going to St Neots on Friday I can't see it happening for a while. Maybe the Daventry extravaganza at Christmas? (27th Dec, theme: All that Jazz). Actually if you were going to St Neots, you're better off watching Michaela, who will probably be teaching.

bigdjiver
27th-September-2005, 07:31 PM
...But unless either of you happen to be going to St Neots on Friday I can't see it happening for a while...

...Actually if you were going to St Neots, you're better off watching Michaela, who will probably be teaching.I doubt it - Michaela had the misfortune to break her wrist, :tears: and is not yet fully recovered. :sad:

Minnie M
27th-September-2005, 07:57 PM

get mine whilst your at it Gojive, fancy a latte ?

Gojive
27th-September-2005, 08:01 PM
get mine whilst your at it Gojive, fancy a latte ?

Ooooh, a nice bit of latte night swing would be nice :waycool: :D

Minnie M
27th-September-2005, 09:58 PM
Ooooh, a nice bit of latte night swing would be nice :waycool: :D
Behave .............. :rolleyes:

Yogi_Bear
27th-September-2005, 10:33 PM
But unless either of you happen to be going to St Neots on Friday I can't see it happening for a while. Maybe the Daventry extravaganza at Christmas? (27th Dec, theme: All that Jazz). Actually if you were going to St Neots, you're better off watching Michaela, who will probably be teaching.
St Neots is certainly possible. I'm intrigued by the prospect of seeing the check check in action, and comparing it with the delightful twist twist that looks great when women dance it instead of the rock step in Lindy turns etc...
AS for Michaela, broken arm or not, I am still in awe of her 'double trouble' (I hate that term) class at Bedford a year or so ago... :clap:

Whitebeard
27th-September-2005, 10:49 PM
..... the way a lady does a "twist-twist" at the end of a lindy turn.

That sounds much better than check-check. "Twitchaty-coo" might sound really sexy and desirable. Seriously, this sounds quite a nice little accent to try whilst in the right mood.

bigdjiver
27th-September-2005, 11:54 PM
... AS for Michaela, broken arm or not, I am still in awe of her 'double trouble' (I hate that term) class at Bedford a year or so ago... :clap: :yeah: Michaela is always willing to to try something different in her fun-night classes. Sometimes they are definitely not for me, but that DT class was, for me, one of the great ones.

Daisy Chain
28th-September-2005, 12:06 PM
Been meaning to post this for a while now cause it really grates me...

Check check's suck.

OH heck! Guilty, I think? Another thing for me to worry about and address. No worries, I'll be dancing like a plank soon.

Daisy

(A Checked Little Flower)

tsh
28th-September-2005, 01:43 PM
St Neots is certainly possible. I'm intrigued by the prospect of seeing the check check in action, and comparing it with the delightful twist twist that looks great when women dance it instead of the rock step in Lindy turns etc...

It was used, but not mentioned in the intermediate 'class' at St Neots last night - just adding to the general confusion...

Sean

Trish
28th-September-2005, 02:25 PM
I doubt it - Michaela had the misfortune to break her wrist, :tears: and is not yet fully recovered. :sad:

Oops - I had heard that, but I'd forgotten. Poor old Mick.

I wonder whose teaching? Any ideas?

Edit: sorry just realised this is now completely off thread. Although if it's Liz that's teaching she does a lovely check-check too!

robd
28th-September-2005, 02:49 PM
Oops - I had heard that, but I'd forgotten. Poor old Mick.

I wonder whose teaching? Any ideas?

Edit: sorry just realised this is now completely off thread. Although if it's Liz that's teaching she does a lovely check-check too!

Paul Claydon(?) from Cambridge Wednesdays did the last Neots freestyle, don't know if he's doing this one though. Not too sure how they are allocated. Alex did last week at Wellingborough where the terrible twosome from Peterborough were in attendance - can you guess who I am referring to?

Robert