PDA

View Full Version : Can you access the forum/dance info on a WAP phone?

DavidY
25th-September-2005, 03:41 PM
Went to Oxford last night.................and came straight home again. Thought we had the wrong night, but it looks like we had the wrong venue. :tears: :tears: ~SNIP~ 85 miles for nothing. :mad: I feel really sorry for Mary. :hug:

I was trying to work out what I'd do in that situation - travelling miles, turning up, and finding no dancers. It occurred to me that if it was possible to access things like the forum (or other resources such as uk-jive) through a WAP phone, then I'd be able to check whether I was in the wrong place (o at least find some alternative not too far away to dance).

Has anyone ever tried using a WAP phone to get to websites like this? Does it work?

ducasi
25th-September-2005, 03:53 PM
I feel really sorry for Mary. :hug: Me too! :flower:

Has anyone ever tried using a WAP phone to get to websites like this? Does it work? If you visit the the forum archive pages, there's a "PDA" link which turns on PDA mode within the archive.

Try it here... http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/archive/index.php/

(This isn't WAP though, but it should work with lots of newer phones...)

DavidY
25th-September-2005, 04:12 PM
Me too! :flower:
If you visit the the forum archive pages, there's a "PDA" link which turns on PDA mode within the archive.

Try it here... http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/archive/index.php/

(This isn't WAP though, but it should work with lots of newer phones...)Yes I'd tried the Archive pages. On my phone I can get as far as a list of the forums but when I try to select one I get a 413 (Page can not be displayed or some such) & don't seem to be able to get further. :sad:

David Bailey
25th-September-2005, 07:52 PM
If we're getting geeky, then another tech-based solution would be to download a "jive locations" file onto a GPS system. Assuming you had an up-to-date "jive locations" file. And a GPS system. Errr...

I think there was mention of a file of this type a while back, but my memory's failing fast...

ducasi
25th-September-2005, 08:15 PM
Yes I'd tried the Archive pages. On my phone I can get as far as a list of the forums but when I try to select one I get a 413 (Page can not be displayed or some such) & don't seem to be able to get further. :sad: I'd guess the main problem there is the size of the page – it lists *all* the threads in the forum.

If it's any consolation (and I know it won't be,) there's a new version of vBulletin (3.5) coming out soon which may or may not do a better job in this area. ;) (Told you is wasn't going to be any consolation.)

Though when you find yourself at the wrong venue and/or think you may be there on the wrong night, how does having forum access really help much?

Ideally, what you want is to contact someone you know should be there, but if they are there then they won't be reading the forum...

under par
25th-September-2005, 08:38 PM
What you realy really need is the tel no s of about 4 persons with internet access.

Especially a couple of non jivers who can readily access any information you require.

Much much cheaper than any WAP phone or the charges related to it. (IMHO)

Tiggerbabe
25th-September-2005, 08:44 PM
If we're getting geeky, then another tech-based solution would be to download a "jive locations" file onto a GPS system.
there's one on the UKJive website. Alternatively you could double check where you're going before you leave :whistle:

Sorry you had a wasted journey, Mary, don't worry when you come to the BFG we'll all make sure you don't get lost :hug:

Minnie M
25th-September-2005, 08:49 PM
I believe you can access my list through a WAP phone, definitely via a PDA - so people have told me, doesn't help a lot of people - but I do go as far as Oxford