PDA

View Full Version : Back to normal???

Franck
16th-January-2003, 04:08 PM
Well, it took me a few sleepless nights and a lot of trial and error, but it seems I have finally managed to upload the Forum to a new server, and hopefully, I have not lost anything...

I am sorry it took so long, but hopefully, I won't have to do that again for a long time :really:

There might be some pictures missing here and there, so please let me know if you spot anything odd (by email / PM or in the technical forum) and I'll try to sort it. :nice:

Cheers,

Franck.

Gary
17th-January-2003, 02:49 AM
Works for me :-)

What happened to the old server?

DavidB
17th-January-2003, 03:28 AM
The times of posts are a bit funny.

Franck
17th-January-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by DavidB
The times of posts are a bit funny. Ok, so here goes... Just testing... I am posting this at +/- 8.45am on Friday morning!

Another thing to bear in mind is that the DNS change has not propagated fully yet and a lot of people are still seeing the old server (and a closed forum)...

Everything should be working for everyone through the day though.

Franck.

Lou
17th-January-2003, 09:56 AM
Hurrah! :grin:

Is the server somewhere near Colorado (judging by the time....?)

Franck
17th-January-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Lou
Hurrah! :grin:

Is the server somewhere near Colorado (judging by the time....?) hehe :D
Well spotted Lou!
The new server is indeed in the high mountains of Colorado... (the previous one was in Australia! I like to travel.... virtually :nice: )
Timezone should be fixed now.

<====== *checks time matches 9.46 am* :nice:

To answer your question (gcapell), the old server / provider got too small for the size of the Forum! Not so much the disk space as the bandwidth we are now consuming...
They had been putting pressure on me to move to another server for a while, but I was putting it off. They eventually gave me an ultimatum. Back-up now as we are moving you regardless :really:
I decided to upgrade to another company in the same process, and the new server should be much more reliable, but crucially, scaleable, which means we should not have to go through another similar move for some time!

Franck.

Jayne
17th-January-2003, 01:22 PM
Hurrah!!!

Great to see the forum up and running again!! The sleepless nights were worth it Franck!

So how did other people cope without the forum? Personally I did some work, which I though was a novel thing to do with the day... :wink:

Must browse...

Jayne
:nice:

TheTramp
17th-January-2003, 02:16 PM
*twitch* I was *twitch* fine without the *twitch* forum.

Could *twitch* give it up *twitch* anytime.

*twitch* Honest *twitch*

Steve

*twitch*