PDA

View Full Version : Foot care kit

Lynn
24th-September-2005, 12:30 PM
Before I go on a little forum sabbatical (I really have a very busy week ahead!) something someone said prompted the idea for this thread.

I have been building up my own ‘foot care kit’ – the week before Southport I managed to get blisters on both heels (with too much Lindy in shoes that I hadn’t worn for a while). I got Compeed ‘plasters’ and they were wonderful. I’ve also picked up from someone on here (think it was ZW :worthy: ) about using ibuprofen gel on the balls of my feet during marathon dance sessions.

I’m sure there is a lot of forum wisdom out there on remedies and products that others have found helpful so thought it would be good to have a space to share.

So mine are -

Compeed plasters for heels if you have blisters – or even if wearing shoes with bare feet that you know might give you blisters – they are almost invisible when you are wearing them. Pricey – but worth it if dancing for long periods. Or maybe someone knows a cheaper ‘equivalent’ brand?

Ibuprofen gel for aching feet – or again in advance for marathon sessions (though being aware that pain relief can mask a problem).

Various plasters for cuts/grazes/getting stood on etc

Foot spray – I have a nice little Superdrug one with lemon, tea tree and horse chestnut – which is a handy size to carry. Anyone got other tried and tested ones?

Other suggestions?

Saxylady
24th-September-2005, 01:13 PM
I carry stick-on moleskin padding, about 1/4 inch thick. Very useful for any part of the foot that needs protection and you can cut it to shape - so have scissors in your pack as well.

Tried Compeed blister plasters and found after a long hot night of dancing they degenerated into gooey blobs - but they still did the trick.

A podiatrist recommended poron insoles - available from online footcare stockists - bit pricy but very effective.

Dizzy
24th-September-2005, 01:24 PM
I suffer from hard skin on my feet so I use a pumice stone on my feet after showering to get rid of all the hard skin that has built up and then use Scholl Intensive moisteriser on my feet most nights to prevent hard skin from forming. :worthy:

ducasi
24th-September-2005, 01:33 PM
Ibuprofen gel for aching feet – or again in advance for marathon sessions (though being aware that pain relief can mask a problem). With the foot pain I've been having lately (http://ducasi.org/blog/2005/09/22/3-in-a-row/), I tried out some "Ibuprofen gel max" from Boots, but I've got to say that I didn't notice *any* effect at all.

My feet are feeling much better today as a result of better support and lots of rest! :nice:

Stuart
24th-September-2005, 02:18 PM
I used to do a lot of running, and a lot of my former clubmates used to swear that rubbing vaseline around the toes used to help prevent blisters.

Ickle Chick'n
24th-September-2005, 03:17 PM
When wearing silly girly shoes for 3 nights running and doing workshops too on weekenders, pampering your feet b4 bed makes a big difference! I wear 3" high heels and my feet are usually screaming at the end of a night but, much as my wiery bod tells me to go straight to bed, I know if I wana wear shoes the next day I need to soak my feet as soon as I get in!

"The sanctuary" products are very good and I don't leave home without my footsoak, foot scrub, moisturiser and spritser! It's become a bit of a bedtime ritual but my feet, bless em, have carried me through as a result!

Gel party feet have also come to my rescue before but in open toed shoes I find it very unflattering if they work their way out, flapping about like a flipper while you're dancing! (for closed shoes only, unless someone has found a solution!)

Aparently a nice foot rub works wonders too but always being on the giving side of this I am not qualified to comment in this area!

Lynn
24th-September-2005, 06:20 PM
Tried Compeed blister plasters and found after a long hot night of dancing they degenerated into gooey blobs - but they still did the trick. I was worried they would do this too, but the pack said ideally to keep them on for 3-7 days and although one did come off after about 1 1/2 days it was because I hadn't followed the instructions correctly when sticking it on. They seem to be waterproof too and provide a 'second skin' on blistered feet - but I'll give the moleskin a try as a preventative.

Saxylady
25th-September-2005, 11:16 AM
I was worried they would do this too, but the pack said ideally to keep them on for 3-7 days and although one did come off after about 1 1/2 days it was because I hadn't followed the instructions correctly when sticking it on. They seem to be waterproof too and provide a 'second skin' on blistered feet - but I'll give the moleskin a try as a preventative.

Ah - just checked the packet - they were Scholl gel blister pads that went blobby - I remember trying a Compeed callous plaster that you can leave on for a few days and it was very good, so I presume their blister plasters are good too. Sorry I got them muddled up.

Lynn
25th-September-2005, 11:24 AM
Ah - just checked the packet - they were Scholl gel blister pads that went blobby - I remember trying a Compeed callous plaster that you can leave on for a few days and it was very good, so I presume their blister plasters are good too. Sorry I got them muddled up.That's useful to know that the Scholl ones maybe aren't as effective then - certainly not for marathon dance sessions (they are probably fine for normal walking about!).