PDA

View Full Version : Doom-Doom or Sheuggy-Sheug?!? (with poll) take 3.

CJ
22nd-September-2005, 12:52 PM
So:

when you are dancing, do you hear a rock beat or a latin beat?

If both beats are in the same sone, which one do you naturally dance to??

doc martin
22nd-September-2005, 01:01 PM
One example that springs to mind is Santana's Oye Como Va, originally a salsa track by Tito Puente, but one that I have heard played in MJ venues.

My answer would be that it would depend where I was. If I was in a salsa club I would (attempt) to dance to a salsa rhythm, but in a MJ club that would only confuse my partner (even more than usual :whistle: ). Then I would hear the beat I was dancing to; I can't multitask well enough to hear one beat and dance to another :D

ducasi
22nd-September-2005, 01:11 PM
Cj asked a few of us this question last night... We were all initially a bit :confused:.

He then put on a CD which had a nice wee percussive intro, before the "doom-doom" bass line came in.

At that point it seemed clear to me that although a "sheuggy-sheug" (or as spelt elsewhere (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3013) "shoogy-shoog") rhythm can be followed and danced to, the "doom-doom" line will just take over when it's present.

I have the feeling that this is true for most people though...

That said, last night I was passing a Samba band playing in George Square and their rhythm is very "sheugy-shoog" and I just love that sound. Though there is a "doom-doom" quite often in there, it's not the main thing that hits me when I'm listening to it. Maybe it depends as much on the music and the emphasis it puts on the rhythm?

CJ
22nd-September-2005, 01:26 PM
At that point it seemed clear to me that although a "sheuggy-sheug" (or as spelt elsewhere (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3013) "shoogy-shoog") rhythm can be followed and danced to, the "doom-doom" line will just take over when it's present.

I have the feeling that this is true for most people though...

Spoken like a true Doom-Doom!!

A sheuggy-Sheug will have the polemic viewpoint.

The way I see it, D-Ds tend to dance with their torso, and feet. S-Ss dance with their shoulders and hips. Each can dance to the other music, but feel it differently.

The example I used was the remix of "Long Train Running" by Doobie Bros (circa 93). There are bongos doing a "ba, ba.... bada ba ba..." which was the S-S bit. then the kick drum came in with a solid 4/4 beat.

A S-S will stay with the bongos: a D-D will move to follow the kick.

Doc, the Q is about what you feel, naturally, and not what you choose to dance to.

drathzel
22nd-September-2005, 01:32 PM
where is the option you gave us last night.... the doom doom wannabe sheugey sheug!

CJ
22nd-September-2005, 01:34 PM
where is the option you gave us last night.... the doom doom wannabe sheugey sheug!

:blush:
Good point!!

Would a kindly moderator add
"I'm a D-D wannabe a S-S"
and vice versa options, please??

:flower:

drathzel
22nd-September-2005, 01:37 PM
:blush:
Good point!!

Would a kindly moderator add
"I'm a D-D wannabe a S-S"
and vice versa options, please??

:flower:

Do you think any s-s would want to be d-d!?

TiggsTours
22nd-September-2005, 02:12 PM
I said a little of both, but I'd prefer to say alot of both! I love the doom doom, and the sheuggy sheug, but what about the la la la!? Lyrics are important too for true musical interpretation! And as for you body, you really should use it all, I wish I was better with my spare arm, sometimes I think I'd be a much better dancer if I could just get rid of it completely.

doc martin
22nd-September-2005, 02:44 PM
Doc, the Q is about what you feel, naturally, and not what you choose to dance to.

I think being brought up in a D-D culture, it is what I respond to most naturally.

Lyrics are important too for true musical interpretation!

Maybe that is another reason that I feel more musically in touch with D-D. I can understand the lyrics. :innocent:

Dazzle
23rd-September-2005, 03:00 AM
I'm both too, is that bi-beatish? :rolleyes: If the beat changes or one becomes more prominent than the other I like to change, confuses the hell out of a partner sometimes, depends who though :flower: .

Scotch Bonnet
23rd-September-2005, 08:26 AM
So:

when you are dancing, do you hear a rock beat or a latin beat?

If both beats are in the same sone, which one do you naturally dance to??

Do you remember asking this very same question about 6 years ago at the Merlin in Morningside (you were Dj'ing !!!)
Has this been on your mind all this time ??

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

CJ
23rd-September-2005, 10:08 AM
Do you remember asking this very same question about 6 years ago at the Merlin in Morningside (you were Dj'ing !!!)
Has this been on your mind all this time ??

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I do, I do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :waycool: :waycool:

For a long time, in fact since chatting with "Cookie" who was around at the start of Ceroc in Edin (even before Franck & Jean's time!!), this subject has interested me.

Still, to this day. one of my most cheerying visions is watching a d-d dance with a s-s!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: It just SOOOOOOOOOOOOO doesn't work. Second to that, is a d-d who wants to be a s-s!! Trying so hard to do the shoulder/hip thing but looking all wrong.. :whistle:

I was that soldier!! I always wanted to be a s-s, but have now accepted it just isn't in my genes. My natural rhythm is the triplet (think "Emerald" by thin Lizzy) but it all comes down to doom-doom. :D