PDA

View Full Version : When are you allowed to delete a message etc.

El Salsero Gringo
20th-September-2005, 08:12 PM
Can anyone fill me in on what the rules are for editing/deleting your own posts?

I think you can edit up to 15 minutes after posting; but sometimes the Forum software displays "edited by", and sometimes it doesn't. What makes the difference?

Also, sometimes you're allowed to delete a post, and sometimes (within 15 minutes) you're not. Why is that?

JoC
20th-September-2005, 09:05 PM
Which one do wish you could have deleted? You can tell me, no-one's listening. :whistle:

Dreadful Scathe
20th-September-2005, 09:18 PM
if you edit a post right away it wont show edited by, but if you wait too long you wont be able to edit it at all. You can delete posts within the same time limit. Exceptions to this are where you post in threads like "take it outside" where you cant edit OR delete at all.

El Salsero Gringo
20th-September-2005, 10:17 PM
if you edit a post right away it wont show edited by, but if you wait too long you wont be able to edit it at all. You can delete posts within the same time limit. Exceptions to this are where you post in threads like "take it outside" where you cant edit OR delete at all.Hmmm. It seems more complicated than that.

Sometimes when you edit a post straight away it says "edited by" - and sometimes (I think) when you edit it 10 minutes after posting, it doesn't.

Sometimes when you edit a post you get the option to delete - and sometimes, while you can still edit it, you can't delete it.

Could Franck or Sheena please clarify the rules and exact timings?

Clive Long
20th-September-2005, 10:29 PM
Hmmm. It seems more complicated than that.

Sometimes when you edit a post straight away it says "edited by" - and sometimes (I think) when you edit it 10 minutes after posting, it doesn't.

Sometimes when you edit a post you get the option to delete - and sometimes, while you can still edit it, you can't delete it.

Can we also have the weather patterns for the South China Sea for September 1956 while you are at it? And be precise. These things are important apparently

CRL

El Salsero Gringo
20th-September-2005, 11:03 PM
Can we also have the weather patterns for the South China Sea for September 1956 while you are at it? And be precise. These things are important apparently

CRLClive,

What on earth are you talking about?

frodo
20th-September-2005, 11:40 PM
Hmmm. It seems more complicated than that.

It would be nice to know. I think it would make sense if you could delete a post, or edit a post without notification if no-one else had yet viewed it, rather than simply timing dependent.

JoC
20th-September-2005, 11:42 PM
Why must you have these clarified rules and exact timings one wonders perhaps...? Your perogative of course to seek out these details.

ducasi
21st-September-2005, 12:01 AM

Could Franck or Sheena please clarify the rules and exact timings? I don't know the exact numbers, but I think I know what the forum software provides... (Or I should!)

Within a short period of time (2-5 minutes typically) you can edit a post and it won't say "edited by" unless you specify a reason for editing it. I think this is global across all forums that allow editing.

In the similar period of time (maybe 5 minutes) people (depending on their membership?) are allowed to delete a post. Whether or not deleting is allowed can be decided on a per-forum basis.

You get exactly 15 minutes to edit a post from the time you post it. This ability can also be decided on a per-forum basis.

I think there may be some forums that do allow editing, but don't allow deleting. This is never stated in the "you may..."s at the foot of the page, so it's hard to figure.

I also think that only Franck can say for sure. Moderators, of course have there own rules, but they don't get to set them.

HTH :nice:

killingtime
21st-September-2005, 12:21 AM
Within a short period of time (2-5 minutes typically) you can edit a post and it won't say "edited by" unless you specify a reason for editing it.

0-2 minutes and it will say "This Person Should Have Pressed Preview Post First" :D.

Lou
21st-September-2005, 07:27 AM
As vBulletin is a very configurable bit of software, wouldn't it make more sense to ask Franck directly? AFAIK, an admin can set all these timings themselves - so Franck's the only one who would know what values he's actually entered. :rolleyes:

El Salsero Gringo
21st-September-2005, 08:31 AM
As vBulletin is a very configurable bit of software, wouldn't it make more sense to ask Franck directly? AFAIK, an admin can set all these timings themselves - so Franck's the only one who would know what values he's actually entered. :rolleyes:Can't get a lot more direct than posting a thread and asking Franck to comment in it, can you?

Lou
21st-September-2005, 10:14 AM
Can't get a lot more direct than posting a thread and asking Franck to comment in it, can you?
Well - there's e-mail, PMs, a phone call..... :whistle:

:wink:

David Franklin
21st-September-2005, 10:23 AM
Well - there's e-mail, PMs, a phone call..... :whistle:Royal Mail Special Delivery, Telegram, camping on his doorstep... But I don't think you can really be sure you've got his attention unless he takes out a restraining order.

Lory
21st-September-2005, 10:29 AM
You can always PM me with a request to edit or delete your post and I'll try my best to help! :flower:

El Salsero Gringo
21st-September-2005, 10:30 AM
You can always PM me with a request to edit or delete your post and I'll try my best to help! :flower:as you always do, sweetheart, but it would be nice to know the rules for oneself!

Franck
21st-September-2005, 10:44 AM
Can anyone fill me in on what the rules are for editing/deleting your own posts?

I think you can edit up to 15 minutes after posting; but sometimes the Forum software displays "edited by", and sometimes it doesn't. What makes the difference?

Also, sometimes you're allowed to delete a post, and sometimes (within 15 minutes) you're not. Why is that?No need for any more direct action, and anyway, I never answer the phone! :wink:

The overall settings for editing are:

- 3 minutes (in case you made a typo or didn't preview ahead of posting) and it won't show 'edited by...'

- 15 minutes if you change your mind, or notice that someone posted something similar at the same time. It will then say 'edited by...'

- after 15 minutes, your post can only be edited by a moderator / admin. This is to prevent re-writing history after people have replied to your post.

The best way to get your post edited, if it's important (ie you mentioned someone, and they called you to convey how upset they are), is to report your own post. explaining the edit required and brief reason. That way, all moderators will be notified and one of us is bound to be able to deal with it.

Beyond the above settings, there are different options depending on which user group you belong to (ie Registered, Silver member, Taxi-dancer, etc...). Silver members are allowed to delete their own posts (withing the time limit set above), provided a specific area of the forum is not set up to prevent it (ie 'take it outside' area is set to prevent editing / deleting for all user groups).
Unfortunately, off the top of my head, I can't tell you which areas have a different set-up, and I would have to check all of them, for each user group to be sure.

I hope this helps.

El Salsero Gringo
21st-September-2005, 11:08 AM
I hope this helps.Certainly does - thanks.

LMC
21st-September-2005, 12:13 PM
Besides, by posting it on here, the glorious beacon of light ( :what: :rofl: ) has enabled all of us to be educated... thanks for clearing that up Franck, I'd vaguely wondered about those points too.

ShinyWeeStar
25th-October-2005, 09:25 PM
Help!! I don't seem to have the option to edit my posts any more - at all! :tears:

Is it something I've done unwittingly in options or something, or is it to do with the recent forum changes? (Not sure when my ability to edit changed.)

El Salsero Gringo
25th-October-2005, 09:36 PM
Help!! I don't seem to have the option to edit my posts any more - at all! :tears:

Is it something I've done unwittingly in options or something, or is it to do with the recent forum changes? (Not sure when my ability to edit changed.)
If you want to edit your posts you have to pay up the £15 to become a Silver member. I believe Franck had mistakenly allowed registered users to edit their posts after the recent upgrade - which he has now fixed.

ShinyWeeStar
25th-October-2005, 09:47 PM
If you want to edit your posts you have to pay up the £15 to become a Silver member.

Aw pants. :sad: Never mind, it was a useful function, but will just have to remember to preview carefully from now on I suppose...

Thanks ESG. :flower:

DavidY
25th-October-2005, 09:50 PM
If you want to edit your posts you have to pay up the £15 to become a Silver member. I believe Franck had mistakenly allowed registered users to edit their posts after the recent upgrade - which he has now fixed.I don't think this is correct as non-silver people could edit their posts before the upgrade.

I was non-silver for a while before the upgrade and editing worked just fine. Also see here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=66195#post66195) from July 2004 where it says:

regular members can edit the post, but can't delete it.
I thought Franck was trying to correct the fact that non-Silver people could delete posts after the forum upgrade, but for some reason this has also removed their power to edit posts.

Come on Franck, give non-Silver folk the power to edit their posts again! :flower:

ShinyWeeStar
25th-October-2005, 09:55 PM
I don't think this is correct as non-silver people could edit their posts before the upgrade.

Come to think of it, that would make more sense. I'm sure I joined a wee while before the upgrade was done and was always able to edit.

Come on Franck, give non-Silver folk the power to edit their posts again! :flower:

:yeah: Pretty please? :flower:

El Salsero Gringo
25th-October-2005, 11:45 PM
I don't think this is correct as non-silver people could edit their posts before the upgrade. I stand corrected. (Thanks for the rep anyway, SWS.)

Franck
26th-October-2005, 01:08 AM
Come on Franck, give non-Silver folk the power to edit their posts again! :flower:Oh ok then :nice:

I have now re-enabled the editing feature for all members. You will need to be Silver to delete a post, but you can edit within the allocated time limit again. You are right David, it was a silly distinction, and meant that the quality of posts deteriorated, so thanks for the feedback and helping me to see the error of my way!

LMC
26th-October-2005, 07:17 AM
Surely, Your Majesty, a more appropriate response would have been "Off with his head"?

DavidY
26th-October-2005, 08:20 AM
"Off with his head"Hey DS, can you add "Forum Queen of Hearts" to the BFG 2006 Awards categories, please?

killingtime
26th-October-2005, 10:02 AM
Oh ok then :nice:

Yeay! Fewer typographical errors!

Clive Long
26th-October-2005, 05:54 PM
:rofl:

Clive

killingtime
26th-October-2005, 05:59 PM

Thanks Franck :D; that amused me greatly.

ShinyWeeStar
26th-October-2005, 07:19 PM
Oh ok then :nice:

I have now re-enabled the editing feature for all members.

Hurrah! Thank you! :clap:

Icey
27th-October-2005, 01:02 PM
Damn! This was the main reason why I finally shelled out the £15 as my typos were getting a little bit OTT :blush:

Oh well, what are the other benefits for silver members?

ducasi
27th-October-2005, 01:26 PM
Oh well, what are the other benefits for silver members? That ice-cool avatar??? :flower: