PDA

View Full Version : Help needed for maths project

Baruch
17th-September-2005, 04:14 PM
My wife is re-doing her GCSE Maths, and she has to do a statistics project which will count as 10% of her final grade. She needs to get at least 30 adults' measurements as follows. No names will be given, only whether male or female.

If you would like to help, please let us know the following measurements for you, your husband/wife/partner/friend and anyone else you can think of. She needs the info by next weekend ideally.

If anyone doesn't want to post their measurements here, please PM them to me. Ta. :cheers:

Right, the measurements needed are:

Height (ins)
Arm length (ins)
Hand span (ins)
Foot length, without shoe (ins)
Head circumference, just above ears (ins)
Weight (stones)
Plus, of course, your sex (Male/female).

Icey
17th-September-2005, 07:07 PM
Bloomin' 'eck you're not asking much are you?

My weight? Pah! That's a state secret!

Whitebeard
17th-September-2005, 08:41 PM

Height (ins)
Arm length (ins)
Hand span (ins)
Weight (stones)

Roight then:

Height 69.75
Arm length 28.25 (to fingertips)
Hand span 9
Foot length 11
Head circ. 23.25
Weight 11st 12lbs

Male - not too many ladies with white beards.

And I'm keeping quiet about my age ;-) But those particular measurements barely vary over the years, apart from the last - just about half a stone up in my case from fighting fit to demonstrable decrepitude.

Baruch
20th-September-2005, 10:19 PM
Still a few people short. Come on, anyone else want to help out by giving your (or someone else's) measurements? No names will be given in the project.

Clive Long
20th-September-2005, 10:23 PM
Off-topic a bit I am afraid

Why NOT metric in GCSE maths? Even when I was taught maffs in primary school (1967-ish) everything was metric. Weights, lengths, numbers.

Worrying.

Clive

JoC
20th-September-2005, 11:31 PM
Why NOT metric in GCSE maths?Don't suppose it actually makes any difference to statistics so maybe the statistics teacher never bothered to get with the times (or is an underground champion of the imperial measure).

Maybe you've discovered the very loophole that allows imperial to persist!

There is something comfortable about imperial measures of length though isn't there? For some reason I think they're easier to visualise. (Except I like kilometers for a while until distances get into the 10's of miles range).

Also, train of though started now... is it a bit brain-washy and blinkered to only teach using the currently adopted weights and measures system of Europe (et al)? There is some value in being educated in alternative units, in fact in some respects I wish I knew a lot more about chains, furlongs and such, I don't readily visualise these lengths, always have to look them up and sometimes it would be useful if I could (instantly visualise). If someone could go back through every historical record I'm ever likely to look at and update the measurements to metric that would also solve my problem. :)

Clive Long
20th-September-2005, 11:57 PM
The benefit of (UK) imperial is all the lovely prime factors in the units:

14lbs to a stone (7x2)
22 yards to a chain ? (2x11)
8 feet to a fathom ? (2x2x2)
16 oz to the pound (2x2x2x2)
12 inches to the foot (3 x4)

etc. etc.

The point being it makes the division of practical things: salt, flour, cloth etc easy by having equal measures on weighing scales or folding cloth

Sorry, sorry for going off-topic. Doing my measurements now - PM only

Clive

Edit: The disadvantage (I think) of using imperial for a stats exercise is the maffs is 'ard unless you are used to manipulating the quantities

e.g. what's the average / mean, mode and standard deviation of: 10 stone 4 lb, 13 stone 2 lb, 8 stone 13lb etc. etc. ?

No doubt ESG or David Franklin will show me to be wrong :blush:

ducasi
21st-September-2005, 12:35 AM
Also, train of though started now... is it a bit brain-washy and blinkered to only teach using the currently adopted weights and measures system of Europe (et al)? There is some value in being educated in alternative units, in fact in some respects I wish I knew a lot more about chains, furlongs and such, I don't readily visualise these lengths, always have to look them up and sometimes it would be useful if I could (instantly visualise). If someone could go back through every historical record I'm ever likely to look at and update the measurements to metric that would also solve my problem. :) I think it'd be cool, but confusing to teach us all the imperial measures to the same degree as they teach metric. Though, at least in my school, they were realistic and told you how to convert things like feet and inches, and pounds and ounces into metric equivalents.

That said, I really don't think there are many people alive who actually know and "have a measure of" all these less common imperial whatsits, like chains and hundred weights, and such. And so even if you did know, you wouldn't be able to drop them into casual conversation... "Yeah, if you go up the street a few furlong and a dozen chains, take a left..." (I can understand why it'd be useful to you, of course.)

(Hmm, reading back this is pretty much a content-free reply. And I measured that in cubic doo-dahs. :o)

Baruch
21st-September-2005, 07:13 PM
Why NOT metric in GCSE maths?
I think it's something to do with imperial to metric conversion, which they're going to do as part of the project. Or something.

tsh
21st-September-2005, 07:34 PM
Height (ins) 66.567
Arm length (ins) 35.4
Hand span (ins) 8.2
Foot length, without shoe (ins) 11.87
Head circumference, just above ears (ins) 23.4
Weight (stones) 12.34
Plus, of course, your sex (Male/female) Male

ElaineB
22nd-September-2005, 07:27 AM
My wife is re-doing her GCSE Maths, and she has to do a statistics project which will count as 10% of her final grade. She needs to get at least 30 adults' measurements as follows. No names will be given, only whether male or female.

If you would like to help, please let us know the following measurements for you, your husband/wife/partner/friend and anyone else you can think of. She needs the info by next weekend ideally.

If anyone doesn't want to post their measurements here, please PM them to me. Ta. :cheers:

Height (ins)
Arm length (ins)
Hand span (ins)
Weight (stones)

If you are going to the dance in Cardiff on Friday, bring a tape measure! I can give you my weight and Sunrays can do the rest - hope that helps! :cheers:

Elaine

Baruch
22nd-September-2005, 07:51 AM
If you are going to the dance in Cardiff on Friday, bring a tape measure! I can give you my weight and Sunrays can do the rest - hope that helps! :cheers:
Cheers. We'll see you there. :cheers:

ElaineB
22nd-September-2005, 01:21 PM
Cheers. We'll see you there. :cheers:

Tell you what, we could turn this into a bit of a party game!!!! :D

Elaine

Baruch
22nd-September-2005, 07:09 PM
Tell you what, we could turn this into a bit of a party game!!!! :D
What - "Guess the weight of the lady"? I can't think of a more certain way of getting a slap :wink:

Whitebeard
22nd-September-2005, 10:22 PM
What - "Guess the weight of the lady"? I can't think of a more certain way of getting a slap :wink:
Or two, or three, or more ......

Piglet
23rd-September-2005, 11:12 AM
Height (ins) 65.5
Arm length (ins) 25
Hand span (ins) 7
Foot length, without shoe (ins) 9
Head circumference, just above ears (ins) 21.5
Weight (stones) 9 stone(ish - don't weigh myself regularly but its usually around about there!)
Plus, of course, your sex : female

tsh
23rd-September-2005, 11:45 AM
Just in the interests of science, the data I provided was completely made-up... Never trust 2nd hand data!

Sean

Whitebeard
23rd-September-2005, 11:58 AM
Just in the interests of science, the data I provided was completely made-up... Never trust 2nd hand data!

Sean
Thought there was a touch of the simian in those long hairy arms. But didn't wish to draw public conclusions.

Missy D
23rd-September-2005, 12:00 PM

Height (ins) 5'7"
Arm length (ins) 27"
Hand span (ins) 7 and a half inches
Foot length, without shoe (ins) 9" right one is a bit bigger
Head circumference, just above ears (ins) 21"
Weight (stones) 8st 3lb
Plus, of course, your sex (Male/female). female

Baruch
23rd-September-2005, 04:21 PM

Sean
Er... yeah... then why post it?

Baruch
25th-September-2005, 10:13 PM
We've got enough measurements now. Thanks to all who participated. :cheers: