PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when your partner is spinning their socks off?

MartinHarper
17th-September-2005, 12:44 AM
Looking for ideas. :)

Lou
17th-September-2005, 08:32 AM
Gaze on in appreciation of the effort & practice it must've taken for them to obtain such skill? ;)

Minnie M
17th-September-2005, 08:44 AM
spin with her, but at normal pace

El Salsero Gringo
17th-September-2005, 09:13 AM
Step back to admire her legs (or step back further and check out her underwear.)

Whitebeard
17th-September-2005, 09:18 AM
Step back to admire her legs (or step back further and check out her underwear.)
In fact, might as well take a seat.

spindr
17th-September-2005, 11:39 AM
Kneel Down :)
Spin yourself
Look at your watch :devil:
Hip roll, body wave, freeze or pose etc
Turn your back on them :)

SpinDr.

DavidB
17th-September-2005, 01:00 PM
Wait for her to start dancing?

Ghost
17th-September-2005, 02:01 PM
Just want to clarify the precise situation. Are they spinning their socks off because you've led them into spins, or are they adding spins on to your moves?

I'm personally with Lou,

Gaze on in appreciation of the effort & practice it must've taken for them to obtain such skill? ;)

I recently danced with a lady who kept adding triple spins onto the end of moves. Frankly it was great to watch her pulling them off (there's _got_ to be a better way of putting that, sorry) and she was having a ball having the freedom to do them.

:clap:

One thing I would add though in both cases is to consider just staying still. It depends on the skill level of the lady doing in the spins, but if she's 'spotting' on you, it's a lot easier to do if you're stationary. Likewise when you want to catch her hand at the end where she might be a bit off, it's easier for both of you if you're still. And of course safety, if she's spinning around, she's probably not watching what's going on around her, so you get to watch out for people trying to crash into her. You can also take the time to check the state of play of floorcraft and space around you to figure out if trouble's coming or realise you've got lots of space for that travelling move you've been wanting to practice. And you can catch your breath which is always nice. I also like the fact that if she does lose her balance eg spins in a pool of spilt drink, her high heel snaps etc, you're there to catch her.

:wink:

Oh yeah - one other thing. When she finishes her spins, smile to show her how much you appreciated her skill (legs, underwear...) and watch her face light up! :grin:

Take care,
Christopher

MartinHarper
17th-September-2005, 02:22 PM

Yeah, but the drool messes up the dancefloor.

Andreas
17th-September-2005, 03:07 PM
Shines,wiggles, look at the clock, stop leading free spins.

David Bailey
18th-September-2005, 08:04 PM
Shines,wiggles, look at the clock, stop leading free spins.
Read the paper, run a bath, make a cuppa...

Seriously, you could just, you know, stop her? If she's not doing what you want her to do, you're the lead...

jockey
18th-September-2005, 09:07 PM
If your partner has a sense of humour you can pretend to look at your watch etc.,...
But if she can do them all in one beat there is no problem.
in common with someone else on this thread, I find myself impersonating a lemon.. :worthy: :rofl:

MartinHarper
19th-September-2005, 12:37 AM
You could just, you know, stop her? If she's not doing what you want her to do, you're the lead...

Well, I could, but it doesn't bother me at the moment, so I've no reason to do that. I must be getting soft in my intermediate age. I guess the question is - how can I get the most out of this?
Thanks for the advice. :)

David Bailey
19th-September-2005, 08:28 AM
I must be getting soft in my intermediate age.
I think I'm just getting nastier as I get older...

I guess the question is - how can I get the most out of this?
Actually, not a bad question... What are guys supposed to do in the multiple-spin situation? I suppose we could do shines and our own lengthy set of footwork by ourselves, as revenge or something :devil:

TiggsTours
19th-September-2005, 09:10 AM
Exactly the reason I hate multiple spinners, and never do it myself! I personally think its just selfish, and takes the "partnership" out of the dance.

CJ
19th-September-2005, 10:34 AM
Nothing about nothing, but I was at a style workshop with Viktor and Lydia (unfortuantely when I was too young in my dancing to really benefit as much as I would have liked) and he did this thing, where Lydia would do 5, 6 spins:

he would make a feature of offering the hand as she faced, but then pull out agian as she kept spinning. With some style and grace, it looked really good in that "funky" way. :worthy:

I keep trying it, but usually end up doing that "feeling like a lemon" move you all speak so highly of!! :wink:

Sigh..... :sick:

Lou
19th-September-2005, 10:45 AM
Actually, not a bad question... What are guys supposed to do in the multiple-spin situation? I suppose we could do shines and our own lengthy set of footwork by ourselves, as revenge or something :devil:Revenge? Speaking as a self-confessed multiple spinner, I have to ask - is it really so awful when I stick in a few spins? I don't do it always. I certainly don't do it every dance. And when I do, it's normally to extend the move by a few bars, to hit a break or a certain bit of phrasing. Which is why I particularly disagree with the following:

Exactly the reason I hate multiple spinners, and never do it myself! I personally think its just selfish, and takes the "partnership" out of the dance.Surely it adds to the "partnership" by letting both dancers put something of ther own into the dance?

TiggsTours
19th-September-2005, 11:27 AM
Surely it adds to the "partnership" by letting both dancers put something of ther own into the dance?
Absolutely, but while you're doing your own thing, surely you should make sure that it leaves your partner the opportunity to do his own thing, not just stand there looking like a lemon, wondering when you're going to stop. Afterall, if his attention isn't on you, at the precise moment you decide you're going to stop spinning, then you'll end up in a heap on the floor, and it will all be "his" fault!

ChrisA
19th-September-2005, 11:30 AM
When it works right, both partners know when the spin's going to stop, since it's obvious from the music.

David Franklin
19th-September-2005, 11:42 AM
When it works right, both partners know when the spin's going to stop, since it's obvious from the music.True, but there's often very little time between the first sign things aren't going right (i.e. a wobble), and the spinner falling off balance. There are some spinners where you can confidently leave them, but I often feel I have to pay enough attention that I can't do much other than wait with my hand out...

Lou
19th-September-2005, 11:50 AM
Absolutely, but while you're doing your own thing, surely you should make sure that it leaves your partner the opportunity to do his own thing, not just stand there looking like a lemon, wondering when you're going to stop. Afterall, if his attention isn't on you, at the precise moment you decide you're going to stop spinning, then you'll end up in a heap on the floor, and it will all be "his" fault!
Heap?! HEAP?! I don't do heaps on the floor! :rolleyes: I'm quite capable of stopping myself, thank you very much. (Actually, with one noticable exception - assisted spins, because the man actually has more control over my speed & balance :whistle: ). If I lose my balance, normally it's my own fault, so I'd be prepared to recover myself & not blame my poor partner for not waiting for me!

It's the man's choice to look like a lemon (and isn't that why Martin started this thread - for suggestions of how to be less lemon-like?). If he's doing his own thing when I stop spinning, I'll wait, shimmy (oh, I wish I could shimmy, actually), wiggle, whatever until he's finished. If I'm lucky, he'll actually be aware of the music & realise what I'm up to & we'll finish at the same time (as per Chris' suggestion). But I don't that as a reason not to sometimes do my own thing...

TiggsTours
19th-September-2005, 12:54 PM
Heap?! HEAP?! I don't do heaps on the floor! :rolleyes: I'm quite capable of stopping myself, thank you very much. (Actually, with one noticable exception - assisted spins, because the man actually has more control over my speed & balance :whistle: ). If I lose my balance, normally it's my own fault, so I'd be prepared to recover myself & not blame my poor partner for not waiting for me!

It's the man's choice to look like a lemon (and isn't that why Martin started this thread - for suggestions of how to be less lemon-like?). If he's doing his own thing when I stop spinning, I'll wait, shimmy (oh, I wish I could shimmy, actually), wiggle, whatever until he's finished. If I'm lucky, he'll actually be aware of the music & realise what I'm up to & we'll finish at the same time (as per Chris' suggestion). But I don't that as a reason not to sometimes do my own thing...
Well, in your case, spin away! Unfortunately you see so many girls doing multiple spins who can't control them, so the guy has to stop dancing to be ready to catch them, and, unless he knows his partner, how does he know which one he's getting, so lemons become necessary. Also, how many guys do you know who can really shimmy, without looking like a constipated puppy, trying desperately to shake that bow off that you tied on his tail!

El Salsero Gringo
19th-September-2005, 01:06 PM
When it works right, both partners know when the spin's going to stop, since it's obvious from the music.Sadly, that isn't what happens most of the time. You hold out your hand to catch, and she decides to go for another turn... so you hold out your hand again, and - look - she's going for another turn! - so you hold your hand out, and could it be? yes! another turn. And so on.

If you knew it was a six turn spin coming up then you could do something interesting with your feet, put the kettle on, take those books back to the library etc - but you didn't know. So you stand there waiting with your hand out.

TiggsTours
19th-September-2005, 01:17 PM
Sadly, that isn't what happens most of the time. You hold out your hand to catch, and she decides to go for another turn... so you hold out your hand again, and - look - she's going for another turn! - so you hold your hand out, and could it be? yes! another turn. And so on.

If you knew it was a six turn spin coming up then you could do something interesting with your feet, put the kettle on, take those books back to the library etc - but you didn't know. So you stand there waiting with your hand out.
:yeah: :clap:

ChrisA
19th-September-2005, 01:17 PM
Sadly, that isn't what happens most of the time.
You speak for yourself :D

In fact, very few of the ladies I dance with that ever do more than one, make it hard to know how many they're going to do.

David Bailey
19th-September-2005, 01:44 PM
You speak for yourself :D
Err, and me.

In fact, very few of the ladies I dance with that ever do more than one, make it hard to know how many they're going to do.
You're lucky - after 1 spin, I generally have no idea how many will be done. I assume 2 because most women can only do 2, but after 2, how do you know? Is there some kind of secret signal or something? :confused:

Dreadful Scathe
19th-September-2005, 01:44 PM
I keep trying it, but usually end up doing that "feeling like a lemon" move you all speak so highly of!! :wink:

you look like one too though :)

ChrisA
19th-September-2005, 02:00 PM
Is there some kind of secret signal or something? :confused:
Yep. But obviously, if I told you, it wouldn't be secret any more...

dee
19th-September-2005, 02:13 PM

:rofl: :rofl:

Little Monkey
20th-September-2005, 02:23 PM
Actually, there's quite a few experienced male dancers who do this, too! My response is sometimes to pretend looking at my watch, pretend to walk off the dancefloor, yawn, turn my back to them with my arms crossed and my nose in the air whilst tapping my foot, or I might just 'freeze' in a pose and wait for him to stop, and get back to dancing with me!

Personally I normally just do single or double spins, but sometimes slow down a spin and sweep my leg around in a big curve (over a couple of beats), which also makes the man have to find something to do until I've stopped playing!

LM

Andreas
21st-September-2005, 12:37 PM
Sadly, that isn't what happens most of the time. You hold out your hand to catch, and she decides to go for another turn... so you hold out your hand again, and - look - she's going for another turn! - so you hold your hand out, and could it be? yes! another turn. And so on.

I have developed some sort of ignorance towards such behaviour. Ther is one particular girl at Hammersmith (whose name I don't know) who can't spin. But she keeps turning at single speed until she feels she has done her non-existent expertise justice. I hold my hand out for the time of one single speed turn. If the girl does 15 within this time frame I will catch her. If she takes longer then I will have started doing something else or turned away watching others or started walking.

First time I will stand there and catch, no matter how many. But should she repeat it then she is totally on her own and I really don't care how she recovers. Should she be in danger to bang into other people I will stop her frency and tell her off. Otherwise, her problem. I am not rude enough to leave her stand there with nothing to do and expect the same courtesy. :flower:

Gadget
28th-September-2005, 09:34 PM
The way I normally deal with it is to 'slide' up to the lady. If she's still spinning, I'll slide on past them and catch on the way past or offer behind. If she's still spinning, I'll use that line and try to wind round her with it.
What I try my hardest to avoid is simply sticking an arm out to catch - I just think that the timing of it almost always looks like a reaction to the lady rather than a reaction to the movement or the music. It also is tempting to lean or strech to catch and this looks just as bad IMHO:
- Step in and collect to your side
- simply walk(stalk) towards her
- take a step/turn and collect as you come out of it
- try to match the timing of her turns and come out of them at the same time
- don't let her finish; step in and collect into a move that uses the momentum of the turn.

One thing I do try to do is insert a pause, lean, wrap, basket, walk, dip... whatever before continuing the roller-coaster: they've just spun 17 times. Give them a break from turning/returning for a few beats.

Raul
2nd-October-2005, 08:16 PM

1. Check out the girls behind her.
2. Give her a little nudge with the hand as she spins past to see if she spins an extra turn.
3. Wait for her to nearly finish and then start myself.

Lynn
2nd-October-2005, 08:45 PM
Actually, there's quite a few experienced male dancers who do this, too! Yes I think the first time I attempted a double spin was when the guy was doing I think a triple? I'm pretty bad at spinning (I know all the theory, I just haven't been able to translate it into practice yet.) But at Southport I found the main ballroom floor lovely for trying double spins. They were only doubles so didn't seem to leave the guys too much time to have to 'look like a lemon' - at any rate the reaction I usually got was a smile.

Paul F
8th-November-2005, 06:33 PM
I remember a while back dancing with a girl in London who used to take any opportunity to spin herself !
At times I would purposely lead a very light free spin and she would just wind herself up for 4 or 5 :rolleyes:
Ok, I had a bit of admiration for the fact that she could generate the momentum and control herself to do it but, at the time, I wasnt very good at syncopations so I just stood there. :whistle:
If I, or my partner, are going to do multiple spins they have to be with the musical phrases and, preferably, quick otherwise it takes the shine off what should really be a really nice technique - when used sparingly.

Will
8th-November-2005, 06:47 PM
I remember a while back dancing with a girl in London who used to take any opportunity to spin herself !
At times I would purposely lead a very light free spin and she would just wind herself up for 4 or 5 :rolleyes:
Ok, I had a bit of admiration for the fact that she could generate the momentum and control herself to do it but, at the time, I wasnt very good at syncopations so I just stood there. :whistle:
If I, or my partner, are going to do multiple spins they have to be with the musical phrases and, preferably, quick otherwise it takes the shine off what should really be a really nice technique - when used sparingly.
Was it Mowhinna? (sp?)

Paul F
9th-November-2005, 04:59 PM
Was it Mowhinna? (sp?)

Not sure of her name :blush:
She had curly blondish hair, i think. :confused:

David Franklin
9th-November-2005, 05:11 PM
She had curly blondish hair, i think. :confused:Sounds like Mo...

Chef
9th-November-2005, 05:25 PM
She had curly blondish hair, i think. :confused:

If that is the only thing that you noticed about her then it probably isn't Mo.:whistle:

David Bailey
9th-November-2005, 05:49 PM
If that is the only thing that you noticed about her then it probably isn't Mo.:whistle:
Oh yes; the penny drops, I know who you're talking about now.

I haven't seen her around for a while, thinking about it; she used to be a regular at Ashtons a while back (the old one, before it got knocked down). Shame; she used to liven the place up :)

dee
9th-November-2005, 06:10 PM
Oh yes; the penny drops, I know who you're talking about now.

I haven't seen her around for a while, thinking about it; she used to be a regular at Ashtons a while back (the old one, before it got knocked down). Shame; she used to liven the place up :)

I think i know the one you mean, she used to wear a flower in her hair and was once on the tv show "X Factor" :sick: . I've not seen her in ages either

Will
9th-November-2005, 06:16 PM
"Dyna"-Mo is one of the most well known characters on the whole of the UK Ceroc scene. She has been doing Ceroc for years and she is certainly one of the more unique individuals on the scene but I think everyone loves her. People like her make the whole Ceroc scene more entertaining and interesting in my opinion.

Indeed she was at Fulham last Thursday and I danced with her infact. She is still definately loving her spinning !!!

Paul F
9th-November-2005, 06:44 PM
...and was once on the tv show "X Factor" :sick: .

Yep, I am definately thinking of the right person then :grin:

Chef
9th-November-2005, 09:37 PM
Yep, I am definately thinking of the right person then :grin:

Yup. Mo even sang for us at a Beach Boogie a year or two back. I am not sure it made it onto the DVD though. Unforgettable.

Katie
17th-November-2005, 11:35 AM
Yup. Mo even sang for us at a Beach Boogie a year or two back. I am not sure it made it onto the DVD though. Unforgettable.

It was unforgettable indeed! I think it was the song 'Hero' by Mariah Carey. She certainly has more courage than most. :clap:

Petal
2nd-December-2005, 02:53 PM
Surely it adds to the "partnership" by letting both dancers put something of ther own into the dance?

:clap: :yeah: Especially when you do stop (eventually) you get a big smile from your partner and a "wow". :flower:

David Bailey
3rd-December-2005, 09:47 AM
:clap: :yeah: Especially when you do stop (eventually) you get a big smile from your partner and a "wow". :flower:
Assuming your partner is still there, of course; the bar / kettle may have beckoned in the meantime.

Excessive spinning is just like forcibly taking control to me - OK, it's great, OK, it's impressive to watch, but don't expect your partner to always appreciate being sabotaged. Any more than 2 spins and I start to get antsy.

Maybe I'm just jealous; If I try any more than 2 spins I fall over :(

Tazmanian Devil
5th-December-2005, 02:39 AM
Maybe I'm just jealous; If I try any more than 2 spins I fall over :(
:rofl: :rofl:
I generally spin with them, but when dancing with the guys I do try not to go more than twice due to The wacko has grabbing a chair and sitting down at the edge of the dance floor every time I spin more than once. :rolleyes: :flower:

Mary
5th-December-2005, 12:08 PM
Sometimes I think it's good to mix it up (depending on the music or course) so I might take 2 or 4 beats to do a single spin, trying out my hip bumps. DJ you'd hate it - unashamed sabotage. I might try it next time I dance with you just to be wicked. You could always try knee pops during said sabotage.:devil:

Keep 'em guessing, that's what I say.:wink:

M

Donna
5th-December-2005, 01:37 PM
I've just started doing 4 spins over two beats now and some men I find just stand there and offer the hand. Some do a single spin and a body roll whilst waiting. It's much better if he does something for those two beats rather than just stand there with his hand out looking like a lemon. Depends on how experienced they are as to whether they can think of something quickly.

KatieR
5th-December-2005, 02:04 PM
Keep 'em guessing, that's what I say.:wink:
M

totally agree there Mary :wink:

I also find that sometimes if someone is desperately trying to get me to do doubles/triples (or if I am feeling particularly disruptive :whistle: ) by pushing really hard on my hand and spinning me off balance, I will intentionally only do one really slow spin.... they more they try the slower I will spin. Until they realise that they need to have a little more care.

Jonathan
9th-December-2005, 06:52 PM
What do you do when your partner is spinning their socks off?

Buy her a new pair?

Jodie's_Demo
14th-December-2005, 08:44 PM
Try moving round your lady in the opposite direction to the way she's spinning, it's usually unexpected and keeps her on her toes. Also if you can add some style it makes you look like your not waiting for the lady your there to dance too.

David Bailey
14th-December-2005, 09:59 PM
Welcome JD :) - like the name...

Try moving round your lady in the opposite direction to the way she's spinning, it's usually unexpected and keeps her on her toes.
Is that really unusual? From the description you give, I think I do that automatically anyway most of the time - if only to cut down on the amount of spinning she does by meeting her early, so to speak. A bit like Cuban-style salsa, I guess, which is probably where I picked up the habit from.

Also if you can add some style it makes you look like your not waiting for the lady your there to dance too.
I've only got enough style to last a couple of seconds; after that, I'm out of style ammo... :(

Little Monkey
15th-December-2005, 10:56 PM
I also find that sometimes if someone is desperately trying to get me to do doubles/triples (or if I am feeling particularly disruptive :whistle: ) by pushing really hard on my hand and spinning me off balance, I will intentionally only do one really slow spin.... they more they try the slower I will spin. Until they realise that they need to have a little more care.
:yeah:

I've done that several times in the past, too. But some guys don't get the hint, and say (in a nasty, patronising way) 'Oh, so you don't know how to do double spins then' I will then do a double or triple spin (or more if it all works right!!!:eek: ), without him wanting me to do so, just to make him stand there looking like a lemon!:devil:

Nessa
16th-December-2005, 01:22 AM
I also find that sometimes if someone is desperately trying to get me to do doubles/triples (or if I am feeling particularly disruptive :whistle: ) by pushing really hard on my hand and spinning me off balance, I will intentionally only do one really slow spin.... they more they try the slower I will spin. Until they realise that they need to have a little more care. Falling over with maximum disruption and visibility is good too. Followed by a dance with someone who can effortlessly throw you into triple spins.

No.. that's rude :sad: But sometimes a visual demonstration is the best way to teach someone something that all the complaints/gentle hints in the world won't get through to them!

Jeremy
16th-December-2005, 02:05 AM

Ohhh, this sounds like a fun game...

So when are you showing up in Sydney? :wink:

KatieR
16th-December-2005, 11:37 AM
Ohhh, this sounds like a fun game...

So when are you showing up in Sydney? :wink:

I shall be there in April my friend (possibly sooner :whistle:... I feel a challenge coming on! :wink:

fun trick...
I just find it fun watching them try harder and harder to throw you into a double spin and get more and more frustrated. More often than not though, these days, I will actually tell them that they are either hurting me, or it is not neccessary to hold my hand quite so tightly etc.

I've done that several times in the past, too. But some guys don't get the hint, and say (in a nasty, patronising way) 'Oh, so you don't know how to do double spins then' I will then do a double or triple spin (or more if it all works right!!! ), without him wanting me to do so, just to make him stand there looking like a lemon!
:clap: :yeah: :rofl:

Jeremy
18th-December-2005, 11:43 PM
I shall be there in April my friend (possibly sooner :whistle:... I feel a challenge coming on! :wink:

Excellent, I shall look forward to a dance or 10 :D

(wear the spinny socks)

KatieR
19th-December-2005, 11:24 AM
Excellent, I shall look forward to a dance or 10 :D

(wear the spinny socks)

Can't wait!

*runs off to rummage through sock drawer....*

doc martin
19th-December-2005, 07:24 PM
totally agree there Mary :wink:

I find that, when dealing with persons of the female persuasion, you need to use a little psychology to achieve your ends (or even to get them away). So, if you want a lady to do multiple spins start off by doing a double spin yourself.

Do that and you can absolutely guarantee that the next time you put the lady into a free spin she will go whizzing round forever. They just can't resist the challenge to show off how much better than us men they can spin.

dancefiend
28th-December-2005, 04:24 AM
I find that, when dealing with persons of the female persuasion, you need to use a little psychology to achieve your ends (or even to get them away). So, if you want a lady to do multiple spins start off by doing a double spin yourself.

Do that and you can absolutely guarantee that the next time you put the lady into a free spin she will go whizzing round forever. They just can't resist the challenge to show off how much better than us men they can spin.

Yes you can do that but even better. You do your double & triple spins but deny your partner of spinning instead giving her checks, style moves and small dips. Then when you let her spin - she'll want to spin alot.

It's good to be the guy because you're in total control of the situation.:D

KatieR
28th-December-2005, 10:29 AM

Depends on how good their double spins are... I have seen a lot of guys attempt a double manspin and the lady ends up just standing there, there really isn't much a lady can do in that situation the guy always ends up a mile away and you end up running after them... that is not an incentive for me to do double spins..

Some days Im just not feeling comfortable.. might be the shoes, what Im wearing, but if Im not comfortable then I wont do multiple spins no matter what psychology is used on me. :o

doc martin
28th-December-2005, 11:54 AM
It's good to be the guy because you're in total control of the situation.
:rofl: That's what they want you to think.

Depends on how good their double spins are... I have seen a lot of guys attempt a double manspin and the lady ends up just standing there,
I thought that this is where this thread started from :confused: . With the guys saying exactly the same thing....

there really isn't much a lady can do in that situation the guy always ends up a mile away and you end up running after them...
That sounds like a familiar scenario too...:whistle:

Some days Im just not feeling comfortable.. might be the shoes, what Im wearing, but if Im not comfortable then I wont do multiple spins no matter what psychology is used on me. :o
Look into my eyes... look into my eyes... not around the eyes, into the eyes. When I click my fingers you will think you are a spinning top. :click:

To be honest, it doesn't really bother me whether a lady does a single spin or multiples. If I lead a free spin, then the lady is, well... free. I have relinquished the lead and she is free to do as she wishes.

I don't think it ever occurs to me give an extra hard push, expecting a lady to pick this up and work out how many spins to do from the power in the push.

As far as I am aware, the lady produces her own momentum. The push into the free spin is just a lead, an invitation if you will. What the lady does from that point is up to her. It is part of her contribution to the dance to decide what she thinks fits best and I like it that way.

KatieR
28th-December-2005, 12:11 PM
As far as I am aware, the lady produces her own momentum. The push into the free spin is just a lead, an invitation if you will. What the lady does from that point is up to her. It is part of her contribution to the dance to decide what she thinks fits best and I like it that way.

This is true, but it certainly is a heck of a lot easier if you do get a little bit of a kick start from the lead... certainly for multiple free spins anyway.

doc martin
28th-December-2005, 12:30 PM
This is true, but it certainly is a heck of a lot easier if you do get a little bit of a kick start from the lead... certainly for multiple free spins anyway.
OK, but that leaves you with either:

The man decides the number of spins by how hard he pushes. Or:

The man always gives a hefty shove on the off chance the lady wants to do a triple.

Which would you prefer?:devil:

KatieR
28th-December-2005, 01:04 PM
:worthy:
OK, but that leaves you with either:

The man decides the number of spins by how hard he pushes. Or:

The man always gives a hefty shove on the off chance the lady wants to do a triple.

Which would you prefer?:devil:

In a perfect world, the lead would be completely balanced and it would be just enough pressure/to give me a wee bit of momentum but not a huge shove so then I can decide on the number of spins depending on my balance, the music etc.

There is only one gentleman who seems to spin me perfectly and is the only person who I can land a fully balanced and centred triple spin off. He's not a forumite but :worthy: anyway..

I think if I had to choose between the two options you gave, I would probably go with a) but ultimately it is still up to the lady how many spins she does no matter how hard he pushes.

doc martin
28th-December-2005, 01:20 PM
In a perfect world, the lead would be completely balanced and it would be just enough pressure/to give me a wee bit of momentum but not a huge shove so then I can decide on the number of spins depending on my balance, the music etc.
That is what I thought you meant. I was just being obtuse for the sake of argument :flower: (I am very bored sitting here waiting for my simulation to finish)

I think if I had to choose between the two options you gave, I would probably go with a) but ultimately it is still up to the lady how many spins she does no matter how hard he pushes.
OK, I'll try to remember that when I feel the time is musically right for a double spin and see how it works.

Does it make a difference to the balance of the lead if the man is spinning too? In a ceroc spin, I often like to do a spin myself at the same time. I would guess that my lead would have to be more balanced then or I would throw myself off as well as my partner. So do you notice that, when men spin themselves, they lead your spin more gently? Or is that wishful thinking?

KatieR
28th-December-2005, 01:28 PM
Does it make a difference to the balance of the lead if the man is spinning too? In a ceroc spin, I often like to do a spin myself at the same time. I would guess that my lead would have to be more balanced then or I would throw myself off as well as my partner. So do you notice that, when men spin themselves, they lead your spin more gently? Or is that wishful thinking?

It actually makes a huge difference. Often the guy is concentrating so hard on spinning himself that he forgets about the lead so the lady ends up really unbalanced. Especially in a move such as the man spin when the guy is trying to do a double. This always ends in disaster with the guys that arent experienced 'spinners'.

In the more experienced dancers I dont notice a huge difference, if anything you get a bit more momentum because they are also pushing off lady to get a bit of momentum so it can have a nice knock on effect, so can do lovely doubles. With less experienced dancers I tend to only do a single because Im usually put off balance.

Often a guy for some reason when they are spinning as well, lowers or raises their hands without realising it, which can also in effect, pull the lady slightly off balance. This is my experience anyway..

doc martin
28th-December-2005, 02:13 PM
It actually makes a huge difference. Often the guy is concentrating so hard on spinning himself that he forgets about the lead so the lady ends up really unbalanced. Especially in a move such as the man spin when the guy is trying to do a double. This always ends in disaster with the guys that arent experienced 'spinners'.:sick: I'd better keep practising then.

In the more experienced dancers I dont notice a huge difference, if anything you get a bit more momentum because they are also pushing off lady to get a bit of momentum so it can have a nice knock on effect, so can do lovely doubles.
That was the sort of effect I was talking about (I think).

Often a guy for some reason when they are spinning as well, lowers or raises their hands without realising it, which can also in effect, pull the lady slightly off balance. This is my experience anyway..
Sounds weird. I try to keep my hands about waist level for balance.
[Makes mental note to think about hands when spinning].
Thanks for the replies. It's given me a few good pointers.

Keith J
28th-December-2005, 02:13 PM
The eternal question it seems..
the testosterone driven solution of course work and are eminently practical, however when we have established M & S size 8, we need to consider what else to do.
A recent workshop with the legendary Robert Cordoba,
I quote, 'do something'....
(yes, it was West Coast Swing, (welcome to the dark side Luke) This is such a good dance style to understand more about what you are doing, it is hard work, but the old adage no pain no gain, try it what have you to lose?)

We went on to explore some musicality, rythms, instruments and vocal emphasis, rises falls, words that can use a reaction (think Touch & Go here...Straight to No 1) that can be used to 'do the something', Whether this be a Rhonda (foot sweep), knee pops, swing your hips, head flick / switch, move to the time, but never stand still. I can hear already 'but what about breaks and hesitations', well, the message from above was' less is more', keep it subtle, small body rolls, kick ball change, not massive movements. It all helps keep time.
If you make connection with your dance partner at some point on the end of the spins perhaps she is spotting you, even subcounsciously, it can be disturbing for her to be suddenly projected into the next time and space continuum by master of the universe lead, so give her some space to recover and respond, opposites work, reflections work, bleed the beat and do not get hung up on leading out on the very next beat, she may really appreciate it.
It rounds out to Robert Cordoba's 1st Law of Dance, not quite on the par with Newton, its close, quote 'Do not p*ss the lady off' .
I guess we have all been there.

doc martin
28th-December-2005, 02:30 PM
Welcome to the forum Keith.

It rounds out to Robert Cordoba's 1st Law of Dance, not quite on the par with Newton, its close, quote 'Do not p*ss the lady off' .
I guess we have all been there.
Well, IMO, as he is dancing with Deborah, his law is more Darwininan than Newtonian.

dancefiend
29th-December-2005, 01:43 AM
Depends on how good their double spins are... I have seen a lot of guys attempt a double manspin and the lady ends up just standing there, there really isn't much a lady can do in that situation the guy always ends up a mile away and you end up running after them... that is not an incentive for me to do double spins..

I wear smooth leather soles which allows me to spin - so doubles triples is no problem. Yeah always important to stay close to the girl. Usually I'm leading the girl into her stuff while I'm spinning. As long as I define my centre of rotation, I can be spinning on my axis and I could be leading the girl to do her spins on a separate axis.

Not to wander off too far from the girl is a matter of defining what you do - i.e. separate the rotationing motion from horizonal motion.

Definately don't wear rubber soles which stick to the floor - it's bad for your joints.

KatieR
29th-December-2005, 11:01 AM
I wear smooth leather soles which allows me to spin - so doubles triples is no problem. Yeah always important to stay close to the girl. Usually I'm leading the girl into her stuff while I'm spinning. As long as I define my centre of rotation, I can be spinning on my axis and I could be leading the girl to do her spins on a separate axis.

Not to wander off too far from the girl is a matter of defining what you do - i.e. separate the rotationing motion from horizonal motion.

Definately don't wear rubber soles which stick to the floor - it's bad for your joints.

Unfortunately there are quite a few gentlemen out there who forget that though and are too focused on their own dancing and then get angry when you dont run after them.

I tend to dance in suede or leather suede. Depending on the floor. Some floors are so slippery that I feel like I could fall at any moment so my dancing is very subdued and unbalanced, once I have worn the suede in, I can still spin a lot but have a heck of a lot more control. Plus you can do really funky slides as well.

dancefiend
30th-December-2005, 12:46 AM
Unfortunately there are quite a few gentlemen out there who forget that though and are too focused on their own dancing and then get angry when you dont run after them.

I tend to dance in suede or leather suede. Depending on the floor. Some floors are so slippery that I feel like I could fall at any moment so my dancing is very subdued and unbalanced, once I have worn the suede in, I can still spin a lot but have a heck of a lot more control. Plus you can do really funky slides as well.

Yes, there is one venue in sydney that comes to mind that has such a slippery floor. For the guys its also possible to use the cross step spin like what its done in salsa. In Sydney the salsa venues are great for practicing control. It's much more crowded - and when we do double or triple spins we really need to know where our partners are (as well as other ppls partners around us) :)

MartinHarper
30th-December-2005, 02:46 AM

When I dance with beginner women, I often find that they travel when spinning, and I am only too happy to compensate by moving myself around the dancefloor as necessary. As a novice spinner, I am always glad when my partner compensates for my imperfections in a similar manner.

KatieR
30th-December-2005, 09:33 AM
When I dance with beginner women, I often find that they travel when spinning, and I am only too happy to compensate by moving myself around the dancefloor as necessary. As a novice spinner, I am always glad when my partner compensates for my imperfections in a similar manner.

When I first started dancing late last year, it took me ages to actually stay on the spot while spinning, I often found that I was travelling quite some distance and it must have been quite amusing for the guy having to run after me most of the time. I think its just a matter of practice when it comes to spinning.

TheTramp
30th-December-2005, 09:33 AM
I think its just a matter of practice when it comes to spinning.
Or indeed most things... :D

dancefiend
30th-December-2005, 01:06 PM
When I first started dancing late last year, it took me ages to actually stay on the spot while spinning, I often found that I was travelling quite some distance and it must have been quite amusing for the guy having to run after me most of the time. I think its just a matter of practice when it comes to spinning.

That can happen if one uses the shoulder to throw oneself into the spin. Much better control is gained if one spins by pivoting on the waist. why?

1) waist is where your centre of gravity is.
2) waist is alot lower to the ground then the shoulders -i.e. shorter leaver, less amplification of any error.

Also don't worry about your feet, it will catch up to the movement coming from the waist.

TheTramp
30th-December-2005, 04:19 PM
I think the answer to this question is mostly geographically based.

In the UK -> Wait. She'll be finished soon.

In Australia -> Go off. Make a cup of tea. Eat dinner. 3 courses. Watch recordings of your favourite 3 shows. Have a couple of dances with girls from the UK. Come back. She'll just be slowing down nicely now. You can probably step in and throw her into a dip. Or over your shoulder!

:devil:

:whistle:

dancefiend
30th-December-2005, 11:54 PM
I think the answer to this question is mostly geographically based.

In the UK -> Wait. She'll be finished soon.

In Australia -> Go off. Make a cup of tea. Eat dinner. 3 courses. Watch recordings of your favourite 3 shows. Have a couple of dances with girls from the UK. Come back. She'll just be slowing down nicely now. You can probably step in and throw her into a dip. Or over your shoulder!

:devil:

:whistle:

Yeah that only happens because the southern hemisphere spins many times faster than the north :devil:

KatieR
31st-December-2005, 12:51 PM
Yeah that only happens because the southern hemisphere spins many times faster than the north :devil: We dont spin faster... just in the other direction! :D

Barry Shnikov
11th-January-2006, 06:44 PM
Yes you can do that but even better. You do your double & triple spins but deny your partner of spinning instead giving her checks, style moves and small dips. Then when you let her spin - she'll want to spin alot.

It's good to be the guy because you're in total control of the situation.:D

In all of life, only ever on the dance floor, so make the most of it.

MartinHarper
8th-March-2007, 01:21 AM
Having followed a few leads now who know how to spin (and spin, and spin), I was wondering: is it harder to fill time whilst your partner spins when leading, or when following? Currently I'm finding it harder to fill when following, but I figure this is probably due to inexperience. Which do you folks find easiest?

Andy McGregor
8th-March-2007, 02:19 AM
Having followed a few leads now who know how to spin (and spin, and spin), I was wondering: is it harder to fill time whilst your partner spins when leading, or when following? Currently I'm finding it harder to fill when following, but I figure this is probably due to inexperience. Which do you folks find easiest?IMHO it is not possible for a follow to guess how many spins a lead is going to do. In "normal" freestyle I think that a spin should be completed in 2 beats and that a lead is free to spin as many times as he/she likes in this time. Any longer and the follow has no idea when the spinning will stop. If I was following I would guess the lead would spin until the end of the musical phrase. What would I do whilst waiting for the spinning to stop - look at my watch/walk off/ sulk/laugh at my partner...

Genie
8th-March-2007, 05:41 PM
I must admit I only double spin with a few leads. If I notice a lead throwing other follows into double or triple (or more) spins, I deliberately only do one. Some of them can get quite insistant - which doesn't work. I find there are maybe two or three leads I will ever do more than one spin with.

Partly this is because it bugs the hell outta me when a lead goes off spinning several times (invariably in a funny direction) and I am left standing with my arm outstretched trying to fill in time. I hate it. I don't mind a guy spinning when I do. Or maybe two spins, but when they go off on one it just feels to me like too much showing off and not enough dancing 'together'.

Andy McGregor
8th-March-2007, 06:29 PM
Partly this is because it bugs the hell outta me when a lead goes off spinning several times (invariably in a funny direction) and I am left standing with my arm outstretched trying to fill in time. I hate it. I don't mind a guy spinning when I do. Or maybe two spins, but when they go off on one it just feels to me like too much showing off and not enough dancing 'together'.Well said! :worthy:

As I implied earlier, I think that a lead or a follow that spins and spins and spins is no longer part of a dance partnership. Often there is no lead or follow, just a spinner and a spectator - usually a slightly peeved specator :mad:

MartinHarper
8th-March-2007, 06:51 PM
Often there is no lead or follow, just a spinner and a spectator - usually a slightly peeved specator :mad:

A leader can lead his partner to slow-spin or multi-spin, and I think that works great, and certainly is "dancing together". I've come to suspect that there are a lot of accidental slow-spin or multi-spin leads.

Unled variations in spinning fall under the general category of hijacking, so they're either fantastic or abhorrent, depending on who you ask.

I'm still interested in knowing whether folks find it's easier to "fill" while a leader spins or while a follower spins.

Genie
9th-March-2007, 10:53 AM
Unless you are a confident follow and don't mind improvising, I think it's very difficult for a follow to stand there waiting for her lead to finish multiple spinning. You spin once and hold out your hand for you lead to catch and he's not there. You look and feel rather silly with one hand outstretched and not knowing what's happening. You can't take control, all you can do is either play a bit (which can look so very contrived when you are already caught off guard) or add a few extra spins (which is ok if you can, but lots of women can't). So those women who are not very confident or capable of many spins will stand there feeling like a complete t*t. I know, because I have been there. And I have seen it happen with quite a few follows who are relatively new or not very comfortable with improvising or spinning. It just looks horribly wrong.

That's from a follow's perspective. As suggested before, at least a lead has some control over the dance (or he should do) and the spinner. A follow doesn't.

I walk away. Or I have started to. If a lead does it once, he'll know by my standing there with arm outstretched that I have been waiting for him to stop and remember to lead me. If he does it a second time, I have started to walk past him, as if heading off the dance floor. Or folding my arms :wink:

Jamie
9th-March-2007, 10:57 AM
I spin depending how hard my lead spins me, If I'm given a gentle spin, I will only do one or 2 and be on beat... However if I'm given a hard push off, I'll keep going until I come to a stop.

Rebecca
9th-March-2007, 12:33 PM
I'm still interested in knowing whether folks find it's easier to "fill" while a leader spins or while a follower spins.

I like to spin, although now only do more than 2 if the music and lead dictates (have learned from many a 'watch mime').

When a lead multi-spins and I'm following I tend to walk around him/her in the opposite direction to their spin, sometimes tracing my fingers lightly around their waist. I find this lets them know I'm still with them, gives some confidence to carry on, gives a sense of where I am on coming out of the spin, and I think to an observer would emphasise the spin?

I'm not sure why I started doing this, as it wasn't as contrived as it seems above, but it's worth a try Martin :flower:

LMC
9th-March-2007, 12:47 PM
I *like* that idea, I always feel like a bit of a lemon when the lead multi-spins, 'cos I can't :tears:

As a leader, I guess it could be easier to 'catch' the follower to stop them spinning. Or stick your foot out as a brake or something. I dunno ...

dave the scaffolder
9th-March-2007, 01:10 PM
I *like* that idea, I always feel like a bit of a lemon when the lead multi-spins, 'cos I can't :tears:

Or stick your foot out as a brake or something. I dunno ...

Now thats a really sensible and helpfull suggestion.

Are you trying to hurt your partner or have you discovered humour and happiness?

MartinHarper
9th-March-2007, 01:41 PM
As a leader, I guess it could be easier to 'catch' the follower to stop them spinning.

It does risk getting elbowed. Fortunately I can absorb that with my manly chest muscles. Also, I can move around the floor a bit, and "style" a bit.

Following, I feel kinda restricted to staying where I am and keeping my hands out and ready.

Twirlie Bird
9th-March-2007, 02:15 PM
So those women who are not very confident or capable of many spins will stand there feeling like a complete t*t. I know, because I have been there.
I've been there too but I personally take responsibility for that. It's me that wasn't sure what to do. I feel that if the lead wants to multi spin then I need to take some ownership for that small section of the dance and learn what to do.

When a lead multi-spins and I'm following I tend to walk around him/her in the opposite direction to their spin, sometimes tracing my fingers lightly around their waist. I find this lets them know I'm still with them, gives some confidence to carry on, gives a sense of where I am on coming out of the spin, and I think to an observer would emphasise the spin?

What a brilliant idea. I love watching my lead multi spin. As somebody who really wants to be able to multi spin I admire them. :worthy: It's true that I'm not always sure what to do as it's not very often that my leads do multi spin. Learning new tips and advice is always good. :nice:

Twirlie Bird
-x-

spindr
9th-March-2007, 02:47 PM
Unless you are a confident follow and don't mind improvising, I think it's very difficult for a follow to stand there waiting for her lead to finish multiple spinning. You spin once and hold out your hand for you lead to catch and he's not there. You look and feel rather silly with one hand outstretched and not knowing what's happening.
I blame the teachers :)
It's unusual for MJ teachers to teach followers what to do when their leader is spinning -- there's a whole set of options for you.

SpinDr

P.S. Not quite sure why you need to hold your hand out -- *both* your hands should be "available" for the leader to take *whenever the leader wants them*. If your hands are always "available" you don't need to stick one of them out and feel strange about it -- and it's the leaders job to take them then :)

LMC
9th-March-2007, 02:48 PM
Are you trying to hurt your partner or have you discovered humour and happiness?
Humour? Me?

Your avin a larf innit.

:non-existent deadpan smiley:

LMC
9th-March-2007, 02:50 PM
... *both* your hands should be "available" for the leader to take *whenever the leader wants them*. ...
I feel inspired to perform a zombie impression :devil:

(yeah yeah, I know. Double post owing to cross-post and desire not to contaminate previous post)

dave the scaffolder
9th-March-2007, 02:50 PM
Humour? Me?

Your avin a larf innit.

:non-existent deadpan smiley:

Yeah thought so

LMC
9th-March-2007, 02:52 PM
:rolleyes:

Give it a rest Dave.

One disagreement in 2 years, take it like a man.

dave the scaffolder
9th-March-2007, 02:56 PM
:rolleyes:

Give it a rest Dave.

dont get personal with me little girl

spindr
9th-March-2007, 02:59 PM
I feel inspired to perform a zombie impression :devil:
Hey, it'd be better than the usual "zombie with a dead arm" one :kiss:
SpinDr

LMC
9th-March-2007, 03:02 PM
No no, you got that ALL wrong - the arm is the live bit, it's the *rest* that's dead :D

Trouble
9th-March-2007, 03:33 PM
dont get personal with me little girl

now now children.

anyway, getting back to the matter at hand.

If i am dancing with a spinning maniac, i tend to try and do a slow spin with a nice flare or come out my single spin and do something wiggly. (no jokes needed).

Mind you whilst doing that im thinking (you bloody show off) :D then i smile sweetly and sometimes give them a woo hoo. :rolleyes:

David Bailey
9th-March-2007, 04:01 PM
He is taking it like a man.

Whingeing and sulking, in other words :)

dave the scaffolder
9th-March-2007, 04:04 PM

Light bulb moment,

Humour is the best cure.

All the best LMC.

Cheers DJ i was blind now i can see.

XXX XXX

dave the scaffolder
9th-March-2007, 04:34 PM

FYO LMC and myself have made up and will be dancing with each other 2nite at utopia.

I shall look forward to it with pleasure.
XXX XXX:cheers:

Mr Cool
9th-March-2007, 05:43 PM
Love to see ladies spin well and as long as they desire :wink:
I just relax dance to the music and catch them at the most apropriate time simple:D
:waycool: :waycool: :waycool:

robd
10th-April-2007, 09:00 AM
Post-Ashtons, I thought I should revive this thread to see if there was anything Jamie wished to add to it :whistle: :rolleyes:

Sparkles
10th-April-2007, 09:33 AM
It's like trying to put your fingers in a blender!... :eek:

Jamie
11th-April-2007, 12:38 AM
Post-Ashtons, I thought I should revive this thread to see if there was anything Jamie wished to add to it :whistle: :rolleyes:

What ya tryin a say!? :whistle:

Spin dryer
11th-April-2007, 01:15 AM
For a laugh with dancers I know well, I have on the odd occasion done a runner so that when they come to a halt they're left standing playing with themselves!

Slightly more seriously, I love seeing people express themselves, and if that's through multiple spins that's fine by me. I tend to give people a bemused "when you've finished/come on impress me then" look whilst I enjoy the spectacle.

Choc Chip
22nd-April-2007, 02:21 PM
Hi all

Seems this is a pretty divided topic - some men and women love multiple spins whislt others are against them.

From a slightly different viewpoint - I sometimes do double spins accidently in that I'm fairly new to dancing and certainly my spinning technique needs a lot of work yet so sometimes if i have too much momentum (either through my lack of control or being led too hard), combined with not being caught for whatever reason...I accidently spin more than once -please men be patient if this seems to be the case and if you spot that look of pure terror on your partner's face please catch them and stop them spinning - rather than sending them into more and more spins.:sick:

I'm particularly weak when spinning to the right (I must have a wonky hip or something:blush: ) but I remember being led into about 6 or 7 ceroc spins in a row plus a couple of accidental double spins - it was awful!

I will however endeavour to avoid multiple spins when it doesn't seem appropriate - and meanwhile just try and get better at spinning:nice:

Choc chip x

Chesca
23rd-April-2007, 06:12 PM
Revenge? Speaking as a self-confessed multiple spinner, I have to ask - is it really so awful when I stick in a few spins? I don't do it always. I certainly don't do it every dance. And when I do, it's normally to extend the move by a few bars, to hit a break or a certain bit of phrasing. Which is why I particularly disagree with the following:

I have to agree with Lou's use of the word 'Revenge' in the multpile spins discussion.
I only try to put in multiple spins where I've found it necessary to add a bit of interest to the dance or to fit better with the music - it's almost like trying to get your lead to up his game a bit & give him time and space to think about it - it's about improving the partnership by renegotiating the terms. :innocent:

Sadly, this wouldn't work with one guy who is sooooh full of his own moves, I feel like a hankerchief in a Morris dance... :angry:

Jamie
4th-May-2007, 01:28 AM
Well, I've managed to get around this, I've made my spins fast enough to fit 4 into one beat so I can multispin but still not disrupt the dance :nice:

Raul
4th-May-2007, 02:42 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I WOULD GIVE THEM A STANDING OVATION AS I AM SURE WOULD EVERYONE AT THE VENUE !!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

To spin their socks off they would have to spin on one leg, let the shoe and sock on the other leg fly off, then spin on the bare foot and let the other shoe and sock fly off too.

Never seen it done, have you? :what:

Terpsichorea
4th-May-2007, 11:48 AM
Slightly off-topic I know, but I was dancing with a lady on Wednesday night who was indeed spinning her socks off at every opportunity, and I noticed something about her spinning style, which I'd never noticed before.

Basically, she tucked her arms into her chest - the best way I can describe this is to imagine Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins, just before he sings Chimchimminy. You have to look as if you're about to pluck an imaginary pair of braces. I then watched all the other spinners at our venue in Leeds - and yep, they were all doing it too.

I'd never noticed this technique before, and it seemed counter-intuitive to what I'd been told was the 'correct' way to do a spin, eg, having your arms floppy and allowing them to wrap around your upper body like bolasses to gain momentum.

So my question is - are Dick Van Dyke arms a Yorkshire thing, or has anyone else seen this style of spinning?

I actually tried looking like a faux Cockney chimney sweep, and it's much easier to do a double spin using this technique...if a little less elegant....:wink:

Jamie
4th-May-2007, 12:13 PM
{snip}

Yeah, I do this, it helps gain momentum. But then again it entirely depends on my balance at that time, I move my arms to 3 different positions depending on how balanced I am and what type of spin I want to produce.

Trampy likes to look at me with disgust telling me I look like a "puff" when I do it, but I dont care, no other way to hold your arms to spin as fast as I like to :D

Trouble
4th-May-2007, 12:16 PM
Yeah, I do this, it helps gain momentum. But then again it entirely depends on my balance at that time, I move my arms to 3 different positions depending on how balanced I am and what type of spin I want to produce.

Trampy likes to look at me with disgust telling me I look like a "puff" when I do it, but I dont care, no other way to hold your arms to spin as fast as I like to :D

whats a puff.?

rubyred
4th-May-2007, 12:29 PM
What ever you do have your hand ready to take the follower into the next move if possible, just to steady her. There is nothing worse when you have successful executed some fabulous spins to find your partner is not around to catch your hand at the end of them. You have looked great and then you look ugh cos your fumbling around for their hand.:flower:

rubyred
4th-May-2007, 12:30 PM
whats a puff.?

A magic dragon:D

Whitebeard
4th-May-2007, 12:32 PM
whats a puff.?

Or a powder puff user.

Terpsichorea
4th-May-2007, 01:03 PM

What other ways do you use to spin? I hate it admit it, puffitude apart, that the Dick Van Dyke is the easiest way I've discovered to spin

rubyred
4th-May-2007, 01:43 PM
Dick Van Dyke is the easiest way I've discovered to spin

:confused: Can you explain please?:flower:

Terpsichorea
4th-May-2007, 02:12 PM
:confused: Can you explain please?:flower:
Basically, she tucked her arms into her chest - the best way I can describe this is to imagine Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins, just before he sings Chimchimminy. You have to look as if you're about to pluck an imaginary pair of braces. I then watched all the other spinners at our venue in Leeds - and yep, they were all doing it too.

I'd never noticed this technique before, and it seemed counter-intuitive to what I'd been told was the 'correct' way to do a spin, eg, having your arms floppy and allowing them to wrap around your upper body like bolasses to gain momentum.

Just me being a bit facetious. As usual...

But it's a good way to spin, I have to say.

MartinHarper
4th-May-2007, 02:32 PM
I always liked the "genie" arm position (forearm on top of forearm, elbows extended slightly). Not for any good reason, it's just funny.