PDA

View Full Version : Broadband recommendations?

Icey
16th-September-2005, 09:39 AM
Hi,

After all your help with my laptop, which is totally fab, I now need some recommendations any of you may have for Broadband. I'm on Virgin dialup and the moment and it takes fooooorrrrrrever to download updates etc.

I know 'you pay for what you gets' but price is a big issue for me at the present time. All the big names are £14.99, are there any cheaper ones out there or should I close my eyes and pick a name?

Thanks
Icey

El Salsero Gringo
16th-September-2005, 09:45 AM
Some of the cheapest ones have a relatively low monthly traffic allowance; for instance, NTL's (cable) £9.99 per month for the first year special offer includes only 3GB monthly allowance. BT's £16.99 per month includes only 1GB.

You might want to consider paying a little more for an uncapped service; and/or consider the Blueyonder cable broadband from Telewest; uncapped 512k service for £14.99 monthly.

azande
16th-September-2005, 10:01 AM
I have Telewest cable and never had a problem with them.

Will
16th-September-2005, 10:36 AM
Bulldog 8-Meg is the fastest at the moment, though you can only get their 8-Meg service in certain areas, and their customer services is pants.

Icey
16th-September-2005, 11:43 AM
Tiscali are offering 1Mb Broadband, unlimited per month for £14.99, all the others seem to have limits.

Am I reading this right?

DavidY
16th-September-2005, 11:58 AM
Icey,

I know nothing about such things- but notice that a couple of times when this has been discussed before (eg. Internet provider recommendations (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5838) and Beginner's Broadband (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4723)) people have recommended http://www.adslguide.org as a place to look to compare broadband suppliers.

It all looks a bit technical though. :eek:

Edit: forgot to say - I use PlusNet and they seem to be OK. I believe (not sure) they have a uncapped service at 14.99 as well.

Trousers
16th-September-2005, 12:09 PM
you got a laptop does one assume from this it travels too? Do you need Internet access whilst travelling. I did and didn't want Hotels charging me for phone time so i wanted the free dial in service as well

The only ISP I could find that gave me a Free Dial up service as well as the Broadband was hate to say it but AOL - You dont want to know how much it costs either

But it needs to be considered

azande
16th-September-2005, 12:39 PM
AOL is worse than MS, I would not touch it with a 20' pole!

El Salsero Gringo
16th-September-2005, 12:55 PM
AOL is worse than MS, I would not touch it with a 20' pole!But you have a Mac - I thought Mac users *loved* AOL because it's so simple to use.... :whistle:

azande
16th-September-2005, 12:58 PM
:rofl:

If it is simple and works, yes!

Icey
16th-September-2005, 12:59 PM
you got a laptop does one assume from this it travels too? Do you need Internet access whilst travelling. I did and didn't want Hotels charging me for phone time so i wanted the free dial in service as well

The only ISP I could find that gave me a Free Dial up service as well as the Broadband was hate to say it but AOL - You dont want to know how much it costs either

But it needs to be considered

There is possibility that the laptop could travel, but not too much at the moment.

Cost is the BIGGEST factor at the moment and I'm not too sure about this limited download thing.

The Tiscali one I mentioned below is unlimited - I did have to check this as their fair usage policy said otherwise. When I called them to check they were a little embarressed that it was out of date. Opps.

I'm not looking for heavy downloads such as games etc just swift update downloads and of course website surfing.

Am confused as I don't really know all that much about techie stuff like this :blush: Give me a tax return or a balance sheet and I'm sorted :rofl:

Dreadful Scathe
16th-September-2005, 01:01 PM
When recently having a look - plusNet seems to be about the best (www.plus.net) personally i use telewest but that all depends on if your able to get cable, if so get telewest. If you need dial-up too, get an account set-up with freeuk.net i've used them for years no problem - you only pay if you use it and to keep it active use it once every 3 months (or just create another account).

Do not, under any circumstances, use AOL for anything, ever :)

Dreadful Scathe
16th-September-2005, 01:09 PM
I'm not looking for heavy downloads such as games etc just swift update downloads and of course website surfing.

You may also want to listen to internet radio and watch news clips and the like you cant do much of this with a limited service. Any capped service restricts what you can do and is to be avoided. Also, don't pay extra for an ADSL modem or filters you can get an ADSL modem/4 port wireless router from ebuyer for £50, much less than a bog standard USB ADSL modem costs from any ISPs.

DavidY
16th-September-2005, 01:18 PM
When recently having a look - plusNet seems to be about the best (www.plus.net) personally i use telewest but that all depends on if your able to get cable, if so get telewest. If you need dial-up too, get an account set-up with freeuk.net i've used them for years no problem - you only pay if you use it and to keep it active use it once every 3 months (or just create another account).I think my PlusNet account includes a dial-up number as part of the Broadband package (if that's what you mean). Not checked whether the current Plusnet accounts do the same

ChrisA
16th-September-2005, 01:19 PM
I'm with PlusNet - changed to them a few months back and now have a 2Mb connection since my exchange has just been upgraded. Generally I've been very happy with them, and their customer service is the best I've seen - 24x7 local rate phone support (quite a wait, though, if you call at peak times) as well as a very good web portal where you can do most of the stuff you need to do.

They do "up to 2Mb" for £14.99, which means that you'll get it that fast if your exchange is up to it. Otherwise you'll get 512 Kb - but 15 quid isn't bad even for that. I pay a bit more (£21.99) since I need a static IP.

[ blatant advert :what: ]

They also do a referral system, so an existing member gets 50p off their sub per month for each new member they recommend. So if anyone does intend to sign up, I'd be very grateful if you used me as a referrer - PM me and I'll send you my PlusNet user name which you have to quote when you sign up.

It costs you nothing, and then you have the potential to get money off if you recruit new members yourself.

[ /blatant advert ]

CJ
16th-September-2005, 01:28 PM
Do not, under any circumstances, use AOL for anything, ever :)

That's a trifle harsh, DS. :rolleyes:

Their free CDs are GREAT coasters for use on the computer desk!!!!!!!!!! :rofl:

El Salsero Gringo
16th-September-2005, 01:55 PM
I've been with Telewest for four years, and had only about two days with any significant downtime. This week I had a problem on Monday which they (incorrectly, in my opinion) diagnosed as a faulty cable-modem, so they replaced it the next day for free. I'm quite happy with their service.

Tessalicious
16th-September-2005, 03:04 PM
Tiscali are offering 1Mb Broadband, unlimited per month for £14.99, all the others seem to have limits.

Am I reading this right?Yes this is right, and I'm with Tiscali and have been pretty impressed with them in general - usually pretty good at helping out with any problems I have, which are usually problems with me not with the line :blush: .

1Mb should be fine for general purposes unless you've got several people trying to use a wireless network to do anything really bandwidth-intensive - otherwise I would recommend to go with this offer, especially with the unlimited download.

Agreed, dont' touch AOL. I wouldn't know anything about most of the others, but I wouldn't advise going with BT, if you were considering it, because they've had some problems with their service recently and take ages to get them fixed (no surprise there).

ChrisA
16th-September-2005, 04:00 PM

Am I reading this right?
The PlusNet £14.99 package is unlimited too.

Although they give priority to web-browsing and email during peak periods... from their web site:

"With Broadband Plus you can use any type of Internet services you want. In order to ensure we deliver a high level of service, during busy periods we will give priority to services such as web browsing and email and a lower priority to high usage services such as downloading and file sharing.

Broadband Plus is based on a PlusNet network contention ratio of up to 50:1.

If you regularly file-share and download, take a look at Broadband Premier. With a PlusNet network providing up to 30:1 contention , Broadband Premier offers a premium service and is suitable for Internet enthusiasts and families."

Tiscali has a fair use prolicy, too - in practice it's unlikely that you'd fall foul of either of these limitations.

Dreadful Scathe
16th-September-2005, 04:15 PM
Its worth pointing out if you ARE in a telewest area that the £35 a month 2mb connection is being upped to 10mb for free :) wheeee I can practicaly taste the 1337 w4r3z.

Trousers
19th-September-2005, 03:00 AM
Well I'm a happy AOL subscriber!

I can just hear the cries of 'A satisfied customer. Have him stuffed'

hey ho a one way course to Taxidermy !!

bigdjiver
19th-September-2005, 03:27 PM
:devil: I thought all AOL customers were?

Clive Long
10th-October-2005, 11:34 AM
Well I'm a happy AOL subscriber!

I can just hear the cries of 'A satisfied customer. Have him stuffed'

hey ho a one way course to Taxidermy !!
(Another) Friend of mine (I have two !!) is an AOL dial-up customer

He wants to go wireless broadband.

I'm too lazy to do the research.

Are there any packages for 512k broadband at under £20/month that also sell a wireless router / modem with a PCMCIA card combination - rather than taking a USB ADSL modem ??

We are not going to mess around with MS Internet connection sharing to connect multiple devices to the broadband.

Ta

CRL

ducasi
10th-October-2005, 11:41 AM
Are there any packages for 512k broadband at under £20/month that also sell a wireless router / modem with a PCMCIA card combination - rather than taking a USB ADSL modem ?? It's very hard to find anything as slow as 512K these days...

I'd recommend PlusNet (http://www.plus.net) (EDIT: as many others already have... :rolleyes: )

They do 2Mbps for £14.99/month and will sell you the router and PC card stuff for £90.

Just don't be confused by their "wireless broadband" packages which are about mobile wireless...

Clive Long
10th-October-2005, 12:22 PM
<< snip >>
I'd recommend PlusNet (http://www.plus.net) (EDIT: as many others already have... :rolleyes: )
<< snip >>
Funnily enough I did read the other posts in this thread that recommended PlusNet :rolleyes:

I should have emphasised the ALSO i.e. a package that includes the router (horrible abuse of word, I prefer modem-hub, few do).

Plus Net looks good and if they don't do a wireless combo I will look at DS's favourite site - e-buyer for a good deal on that kit - something like my Netgear 824M and a D-Link printer server so he can put the printer in a cupboard.

Ta,
Clive

Dreadful Scathe
10th-October-2005, 12:45 PM
I will look at DS's favourite site - e-buyer for a good deal on that kit -

ebuyer r00lz ;)

ducasi
10th-October-2005, 01:00 PM
I should have emphasised the ALSO i.e. a package that includes the router (horrible abuse of word, I prefer modem-hub, few do).

Plus Net looks good and if they don't do a wireless combo ... Like I maybe didn't say clearly enough, they have a package which does includes a wireless router + PC card. (There's nothing wrong with using the word "router" here, as that's usually what it's doing, unless it's configured as a bridge... ;))

Or are you meaning "includes" as in "part of the regular cost", rather than a one-off? Don't know if that exists...

If it were me I'd go buy a netgear whatever, go with whatever provider you prefer and throw away any "free" modem you get given...

El Salsero Gringo
10th-October-2005, 01:18 PM
Funnily enough I did read the other posts in this thread that recommended PlusNet :rolleyes:

Plus Net looks good and if they don't do a wireless combo I will look at DS's favourite site - e-buyer for a good deal on that kit - something like my Netgear 824M and a D-Link printer server so he can put the printer in a cupboard.

Ta,
CliveIt's not a modem-hub. It is a modem-router-hub or possibly modem-router-switch, though; it's doing some specific IP stuff that only routers do and pure hubs don't.

A while ago all the packages that included routers were business packages marketed for small networks, in the £100's per month; I don't know if that's still the case.

Clive Long
10th-October-2005, 01:39 PM
It's not a modem-hub. It is a modem-router-hub or possibly modem-router-switch, though; it's doing some specific IP stuff that only routers do and pure hubs don't.
<< snip >>
True true.

Hub is far to crude - although the device does implement a hub it is far more capable than that.

Where I am coming from, if anyone outside our little geek-fest is interested, is a router spans at least two IP (sub-) networks and makes routing decisions based on destination IP. For me, a router is also receiving some network topology information from other routers to dynamically change its decisions about where to send IP packets for the non-home network - although that capability is redundant if the "router" is spanning just two IP (sub-)network address ranges. It is the lack of this exchange of routing information and the restriction to spanning a private address range and a single public IP address that irks my sensitivity when this class of devices is called a router (funny singular/plural mix there Clive).

How about: modem-hub-switch-NAttingfirewall-leafnodesub-router? Catchy, don't you think?

CRL
Edit:

If it were me I'd go buy a netgear whatever, go with whatever provider you prefer and throw away any "free" modem you get given...

Yep, I have been happy with the Netgear plus some directional aerials in my wireless-hostile flat.

Dreadful Scathe
10th-October-2005, 01:40 PM
Ive not seen a package that includes a router anyway , but most do include a usb modem. If you spin it round by its cable they can be thrown for a good 40 feet :) ebuyer (woo) sell a ADSL-WIRELESS-802.11g-ROUTER-SWITCH-MODEM for a mere &#163;50.

USB, at least in the context of modems, stands for "you-suck-bandwidth"

well not really but they are a drain a bit. Ethernet r00lz.

Dreadful Scathe
10th-October-2005, 01:41 PM
Clive : even I got bored then ;)

ducasi
10th-October-2005, 02:01 PM
Clive...

Like DS, I got bored, but it was when I was trying to come up with a good way of saying simply :na: :na: :na:

jivecat
19th-October-2005, 12:32 PM
What a fascinating and useful thread this would be if only I could understand more than one word in five.:blush:
I'm just about to sign up for the Tiscali £14.99 unlimited deal, following the line of least resistance as I'm already a Tiscali customer. I notice that I will be tied in to that price for 12 months. Is this reasonable, or does Tiscali know that the going rate for other providers will plummet in 3 months time? I've noticed that each successive Tiscali offer has got cheaper and mre favourable.
Please make a decision for me, preferably using words at a Janet & John level.

philsmove
19th-October-2005, 01:32 PM
[QUOTE=Icey]I'm not looking for heavy downloads such as games etc just swift update downloads and of course website surfing.

[QUOTE]

Beware once you have broadband you will use it more and more
So go for unlimited access
I’m with Telewest and am very impressed with their service :clap:
Don’t even think of BT openworld -:angry: :( they are crooks

Seahorse
19th-October-2005, 08:53 PM
Someone mentioned a company called freedom to surf who were offering 2mb for £20 per month with unlimited downloads.

ChrisA
19th-October-2005, 10:59 PM
Someone mentioned a company called freedom to surf who were offering 2mb for £20 per month with unlimited downloads.
There may be companies that offer genuinely unlimited downloads. But it won't be long before they do what many of them are already doing, which is, rather than imposing an actual cap, have a "Sustainable" or "Fair" Use Policy, which means that extremely heavy users get restricted if they go over a specified amount, x times in y months.

In practice, however, these amounts are very, very large, compared with what "normal" people download. For instance, PlusNet sets two levels, 30 Gb per month of peak time usage (4pm to midnight IIRC) and 100 Gb per month offpeak. If you exceed this more than twice in three months, they start to warn you, and then restrict your connection.

But for comparison, given a few hours of web surfing, email downloading, and some music downloading per day, and you'd be hard pushed to exceed 1 or 2 Gb per month. It really is very hard to come anywhere near these limits without spending most of your time downloading bootlegged movies.

So, when you're looking at different ISPs, bear in mind that "unlimited" probably isn't (read the small print) but that any fair use policies probably won't affect you.

Magic Hans
19th-October-2005, 11:32 PM
Have a look at www.uswitch.com

It seems to give all the different competitors packages for a particular area in an easily comparable format!

jivecat
20th-October-2005, 10:47 AM
Thanks, Magic Hans, that website seems clear and easy to use. It seems to suggest, however, that Toucan offers the best product for my purposes. Anyone know anything about this? It doesn't even feature on the ADSL site.
Chris A - thanks for all your help. Plusnet is looking very good, so far!:wink:

jivecat
20th-October-2005, 10:55 AM
I'm coming to the conclusion that £14.99 is the going rate for the kind of product I'm after. If it's advertised as cheaper than that there's a hidden catch, like a big setup cost, or VAT not included. So the main consideration is tie-in time and quality of service.
Oh dear, still, hopelessly confused!

LMC
28th-October-2005, 11:29 AM
Pathetic excuse for a rant :mad:

NTL, grrrrrrrrr

I cancelled the NTL phone service earlier this year as my lodger needed a BT line for work. But I told NTL I would keep the broadband. Fine, they said. Then cut me off two months later because they got confused. Of course, I thought it was a fault, so spent about an hour on the phone to the technical department before we discovered this. Reconnected within 5 minutes and all sorted. One month later: same thing happened - except this time I was a bit crosser and told them to check it a bit sooner.... Day before yesterday: same again. EXCEPT that this time I was told I have to open a new account and it will take a week to send an engineer out. The box is there. The line is there. There is NO NEED to send out an engineer. So they won't be sending out an engineer, as I have cancelled my account and demanded a refund (oh yeah, they cut me off, but still took the direct debit for next month - my account was in credit).

To be scrupulously fair, the broadband itself was fine (until they cut me off) - rarely any problems with speed and only once had any downtime owing to server switches - not bad in nearly two years. But NTL's 'aftercare' is rubbish - and they aren't the cheapest out there.

So my home internet connection won't be restored until I get the box from BT next week (no, they aren't the cheapest either, nor are they the best probably, but it's the easy option). Maybe I'll get some housework done...

Icey
28th-October-2005, 01:02 PM
The very nice and helpful ChrisA put me on to Plusnet and I haven't had a single problem with them. They even got the box of gizmos to me in 2 days.

If you think about going with them can you use me as a referer so that I can get a discount. Pretty please. :whistle: Every penny helps me to save up for the next BFG.

philsmove
28th-October-2005, 01:09 PM
I think the lesson to be learned is-

If you have a reliable supplier,

Be it broadband services or dance shoes

Stick with them

Dreadful Scathe
28th-October-2005, 01:40 PM
Pathetic excuse for a rant :mad:

NTL, grrrrrrrrr

you're not the only one - see here (http://www.nthellworld.co.uk/home)

jivecat
28th-October-2005, 08:32 PM
you're not the only one - see here (http://www.nthellworld.co.uk/home)

There's a moaning forum that's very similar concerning Tiscali as well. For all I know all ISPs have one - it's part of the amenities package that comes with the territory, like moaning about your boss at work.

Having checked the ADSL comparison site, Plusnet comes out best, BT and NTL about average and Tiscali below average.

Dizzy
9th-December-2005, 02:46 PM
I am a fellow NTL ranter but need help too :sick:
I am still on dial-up internet (I know, I am a dinosaur!!!) and have been trying to look into getting broadband. The problem is that we have an NTL telephone line. I have asked NTL about getting broadband but they say that they can't supply our area (I live in the middle of London, :what: ) and all the other companies I have looked at all need BT lines.

Any suggestions gratefully received :flower: .

ducasi
9th-December-2005, 03:05 PM
Switch back to a BT line? :flower:

Dizzy
9th-December-2005, 03:19 PM
Switch back to a BT line? :flower:

Yeah ok, how did I know someone would come up with the obvious!! :wink:

I did think of that already but the person paying for the telephone does not like BT therefore won't change. :mad:

philsmove
9th-December-2005, 04:02 PM
If you cannot get Blueyonder cable

Nothing wrong with BT phone lines

Just don’t use BT for Internet access EVER

ducasi
9th-December-2005, 04:21 PM
Just cos you have a BT-provided line, doesn't mean you have to use BT...

There are companies that will take over your "BT" line and give you cheaper calls and internet access.

I think Bulldog are one, though as a mostly-happy NTL customer, it's not something I've looked into a great deal...

WittyBird
10th-December-2005, 11:19 AM
as a mostly-happy NTL customer, it's not something I've looked into a great deal...

I didn't think that there was one. You have surprised me :D I am with NTL but that is because it's the only service I can get here.

The only recommendation I would give is.........
Stay clear of NTL they are Sh1te :devil:

under par
10th-December-2005, 11:34 AM
I didn't think that there was one. You have surprised me :D I am with NTL but that is because it's the only service I can get here.

The only recommendation I would give is.........
Stay clear of NTL they are Sh1te :devil:

I'm NTL and have not had a problem with them in 3 years...

What gone wrong for you WB??

WittyBird
10th-December-2005, 11:57 AM
I'm NTL and have not had a problem with them in 3 years...

What gone wrong for you WB??

Everything..
1.Middle of a Chelsea game just when it looked like Drogba was about to score my package went off. (I have Prem Plus)

2.Double billing every month. (took 6 months to sort it out)

3.Taking the direct debit twice every month (I had to cancel it)

4.Working from home I lost my Broadband for 3 days, they refused to do anything about it until an hour before I got it back they gave me a free dial up (slower than a slow thing on a slow day)

5.Getting put thru to a call centre in India to be asked 'is your box plugged in madam?' to which I replied ' Oh hang on while I just check ' :rolleyes: w4nk3rs after going through all the checks with the guy he finally told me ' it appears not to be working correctly madam' to which I replied 'No sh1t sherlock'

6.Being put through to every single department to be told 'I can't deal with this its not my 'area'.

The only people who dealt with the problem correctly and took ownership of the situation where the Guys @ the Bells Hill call centre in Scotland :worthy: they were great. But the guys I spoke to in Manchester and Cardiff were probably the sunshine bus quota.:devil:

There are lots and lots of other things that happened but I won't bore you anymore!:what:

under par
10th-December-2005, 11:58 AM
Well I only asked!

Sorry you had such a bad time.:blush:

You haven't broken a mirror recently ???:whistle:

WittyBird
10th-December-2005, 12:02 PM
Well I only asked!
Yeah sorry I did rant a bit. They made me so angry:innocent:

Sorry you had such a bad time.:blush: :
It aint your fault. Unless of course your Director of fcuk ups for NTL :really:

You haven't broken a mirror recently ???:whistle:
:yeah: :rofl: Funny you should say that :cool:

ducasi
10th-December-2005, 12:43 PM
I'd certainly agree, their customer service can be abysmal.

I've had problems in the past with set-top boxes breaking, but things like that seem to get sorted fairly quickly... On the other hand, I've spent 2 hours waiting for them to get round to me when I phoned with a cable modem problem. That got sorted out fairly quickly though too.

(BTW, it's "Bellshill", not "Bells Hill" :nice:)

But I'm confused about a lack of an alternative – can't you get Sky & BT?

WittyBird
10th-December-2005, 12:50 PM
I'd certainly agree, their customer service can be abysmal.?

Absolutely

(BTW, it's "Bellshill", not "Bells Hill" :nice:)?
Thanks for that :D

But I'm confused about a lack of an alternative – can't you get Sky & BT?

No.:sad:

stewart38
12th-December-2005, 11:59 AM
Im with AOL platimum service 2 MB ?? (the fastest one)

contract runs out Jan 2006

Not sure if anything better, had no problems since i upgraded my computer

Its £29.99 a month which seems a bit steep

Dreadful Scathe
12th-December-2005, 11:22 PM
AOheLL did you say ? :)

Lynn
14th-April-2006, 10:54 PM
OK, finally getting round to getting broadband - I've been thinking about this (http://www.tiscali.co.uk/products/broadband/bundle-2mb-at.html?code=ZZ-NL-11EE) offer with Tiscali.
£21.99 per month, 2MB, free local and national calls.

Anyone use Tiscali and find they are OK? Or any real horror stories?

Ballroom queen
14th-April-2006, 11:04 PM
I'm with ukonline, 1MB, 9.99 a month, unlimited, can have several PCs on same network, good customer service. Been with them for years on dial up and over a year broadband, did go down once due to a BT exchange problem, but they refunded me with no question. I think they are great.

Some ISPs treat tiscali addresses as Spam so I would be careful using them or your mates may not get your emails!

Lynn
14th-April-2006, 11:13 PM
Some ISPs treat tiscali addresses as Spam so I would be careful using them or your mates may not get your emails!Wonder why specifically Tiscali? I have several email addresses anyway, so I presume I could continue to use my existing ones? Though I suppose I would have to send from my new one...

I am looking at other options, just the Tiscali page seemed easy and clear to see what was what. Its unlimited but yes, has the fair usage policy - doubt that would be any problem. And I like the free calls package for only £4 more per month (I think I currently pay £5 per month for free evening & weekend local calls)

Another option is UTV internet - Option 2 here (http://u.tv/internet/services/Clicksilverni/index.asp)is the same price (£21.99), 6GB capped - up to 8MB (but it doesn't seem to be clear if that is available or not, it also talks about 1 & 2MB?) and seems to include free evening and weekend calls - again not so clear a site as Tiscali.

Just been re-reading this thread, and got totally lost on the second page. Any comments and advice in very simple 'talking to a blonde' terms please.:flower:

Feelingpink
15th-April-2006, 07:47 AM

Just been re-reading this thread, and got totally lost on the second page. Any comments and advice in very simple 'talking to a blonde' terms please.:flower:Go to www.moneysavingexpert.com and look at their recommendations. That way, you know someone else has done the work at finding the cheapest deals - and also recommends having a separate provider for your calls as the most flexible and possibly cheapest option. It also has a travel section for when you're trying to find the best deals for flying to London ... :whistle:

Lynn
15th-April-2006, 11:26 AM
Go to www.moneysavingexpert.com (http://www.moneysavingexpert.com) and look at their recommendations. That way, you know someone else has done the work at finding the cheapest deals - and also recommends having a separate provider for your calls as the most flexible and possibly cheapest option. Thanks, I'll have a look. :hug: I'm pretty good with money saving things except when it comes to my phone line - I still use BT, which I know isn't the cheapest option. Keeping my BT line and number but having all my calls for only £4 a month sounds like a good enough deal though.

I was looking at some other broadband suppliers, though Tiscali has still been the easiest site in terms of putting it in simple terms, which I admit attracted me. (I know NTL is a popular choice but would avoid them due to the poor customer service we got from them at work.)

It also has a travel section for when you're trying to find the best deals for flying to London ... :whistle:I'm very good at that already, I know all the airlines that fly Belfast to London, which airports they fly into and out of, how much they charge for taxes. The cheapest I can get to London (unless there is a seat sale) is £35 return (incl taxes).

And I found a new one last night :clap: - Air Berlin - Belfast City to Stanstead, starts on 2nd May - I can currently get almost any weekend for £38 return - though the latest return on Sun is afternoon, not so good.

stewart38
16th-April-2006, 08:19 PM
I pay £29.99 to AOL a month no phone line. Runs generally ok should I change ? I think its now 8MB ??

Phil
28th-April-2006, 12:31 AM
Talk Talk are now offering Line Rental and all 01 or 02 calls to anywhere in the country 24/7 plus calls to 28 other countries free as well as up to 8MB broadband as long as your service supports it and all for only £20.99 a month plus a free modem and you only have to pay a one off connection fee of £29,99
if you don't believe me log onto talktalk.co.uk (http://talktalk.co.uk)and see for yourself.

Cruella
28th-April-2006, 02:13 PM
Talk Talk are now offering Line Rental and all 01 or 02 calls to anywhere in the country 24/7 plus calls to 28 other countries free as well as up to 8MB broadband as long as your service supports it and all for only £20.99 a month plus a free modem and you only have to pay a one off connection fee of £29,99
if you don't believe me log onto talktalk.co.uk (http://talktalk.co.uk)and see for yourself.
Can't get connected where i live til June though. :sad:

stewart38
28th-April-2006, 02:19 PM
Thanks, I'll have a look. :hug: I'm pretty good with money saving things except when it comes to my phone line - I still use BT, which I know isn't the cheapest option. Keeping my BT line and number but having all my calls for only £4 a month sounds like a good enough deal though.

I would pay someone to see what is best for me re Gas Electricity Broadband phone line and Mobile credit cards etc etc etc

someone set up a company ill be their first customer :sad:

Phil
28th-April-2006, 03:10 PM
Can't get connected where i live til June though. :sad:
Sorry to hear that Cruella, but I'm sure it'll be worth the wait, haven't seen anyone come close to this deal so far.

Dreadful Scathe
2nd-May-2006, 09:16 AM
I would pay someone to see what is best for me re Gas Electricity Broadband phone line and Mobile credit cards etc etc etc

someone set up a company ill be their first customer :sad:

Someone thought of that years ago - theyre called uswitch and you'll find them here (http://www.uswitch.com/)

Cruella
3rd-May-2006, 08:31 AM
Sorry to hear that Cruella, but I'm sure it'll be worth the wait, haven't seen anyone come close to this deal so far.
It's now July :sick: but i've booked up to be connected anyway, seems too good a deal to miss. :D

Cruella
22nd-June-2006, 09:40 PM
They told me July, but result i've been connected today!!:clap: Ooooh, everything happens so much quicker than dial up!! That means i won't have to spend so long online now. :rolleyes:

Gladrags
23rd-June-2006, 02:05 PM
Interesting....

I've been with Plusnet for about a year now, which has been faultless until the last three weeks.

However, in the last three weeks I have had exactly 5 days broadband availability. So you either log this online (using dialup and nothing happens) or you ring up (sit there on hold for 20-30mins) and get told its "with suppliers".

Their customer service has gone downhill since they've got big. My dad was with them in the early days (hence recommendation) and used to be able to fix problems within hours. Ohhh the price of success.

stewart38
23rd-June-2006, 02:23 PM
I pay £29.99 a month for AOL (contract expired in Jan) with I think 8MB ??

is that good value ?

Generally no problems with it

Zebra Woman
23rd-June-2006, 02:45 PM
Can I just take this opportunity to NOT RECOMMEND NTL Freedom.

philsmove
23rd-June-2006, 02:59 PM
That means i won't have to spend so long online now. :rolleyes:

WRONG :whistle:

Cruella
23rd-June-2006, 03:44 PM
WRONG :whistle:
I know, cos now i can watch all those videos that i couldn't be bothered to wait to load on dialup! (Dancing ones of course)

stewart38
23rd-June-2006, 04:17 PM
whats a good deal now then ?

I want fast and realiable ?

DavidY
24th-June-2006, 09:37 AM
Interesting....

I've been with Plusnet for about a year now, which has been faultless until the last three weeks.

However, in the last three weeks I have had exactly 5 days broadband availability. So you either log this online (using dialup and nothing happens) or you ring up (sit there on hold for 20-30mins) and get told its "with suppliers".

Their customer service has gone downhill since they've got big. My dad was with them in the early days (hence recommendation) and used to be able to fix problems within hours. Ohhh the price of success.I think Plusnet have moved from using BT to using Tiscali to supply part of their network. Some info on the Plusnet user group page here (http://usergroup.plus.net/faq_tiscalillu.php). I gather it's caused problems for some folk and maybe what's happened to you?

DavidY
11th-July-2006, 11:55 PM
Plus Net don't seem to be having an easy time of it just now. They seem to have lost a whole bunch of folks' emails at the weekend (including mine- luckily I don't use it as my primary email address so I've probably not lost anything important).

Some interesting tips on how not to install some new disk storage here (http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1152542363.htm).

under par
18th-July-2006, 09:55 AM
My Talk Talk broadband kit has just arrived.:yeah:

Very slick easy installation procedure.... even I managed to follow it.:D

Broadband speed noticabley much faster than my previous broadband.

Now I've got to let everyone know my new e-mail address :flower:

Lynn
18th-July-2006, 01:25 PM
My Talk Talk broadband kit has just arrived.:yeah:

Very slick easy installation procedure.... even I managed to follow it.:D
So would you recommend it? (And is it wireless?)

I now definitely want a pay-as-you-go package, rather than one I commit to for a year etc, and wireless broadband. Don't mind paying a few £ a month more if I can get both those requirements.

Dreadful Scathe
18th-July-2006, 01:57 PM

no it isnt, but a standalone adsl broadband modem wireless router will cost you £37+. So its not much of an extra outlay.

Talk talk do seem to be good though, my parents and my mother-in-law are both using talk talk.

under par
18th-July-2006, 04:04 PM

Only had it a few hours and so far quite pleased:D(no not wireless!)

Lynn
18th-July-2006, 06:21 PM
no it isnt, but a standalone adsl broadband modem wireless router will cost you £37+. So its not much of an extra outlay.Wot's one of those then?

I know what I need. A techie man to go to a shop with me, tell me what to buy and install it for me.:innocent: