PDA

View Full Version : First Impressions?

murphy
14th-September-2005, 03:58 PM
I've just read the Admit Ones - Landscape or Portrait thread and a comment about the card being easier to "hand over to the lady at the desk" got me thinking......

- are there any venues with a man running the front desk?
and
- as the front desk is your first impression (?) of a venue, what makes you feel welcome/unwelcome on entry?

Gill (Norwich)
14th-September-2005, 04:07 PM
I've just read the Admit Ones - Landscape or Portrait thread and a comment about the card being easier to "hand over to the lady at the desk" got me thinking......

- are there any venues with a man running the front desk?
and
- as the front desk is your first impression (?) of a venue, what makes you feel welcome/unwelcome on entry?
There was a man on the desk at Milton Keynes Sunday, and we got a very nice welcome. It just set the tone, the whole venue was very friendly towards us outsiders from the sticks. :flower:

Dizzy
14th-September-2005, 04:38 PM
There is a man on the front desk at ISH (Great Portland St) on Tuesday nights. Can't remember his name (Sorry!! :blush: ) but he is a nice guy. I am not fussed as I normally chat to whoever is on the front desk whether it be man or woman.

Graham W
14th-September-2005, 04:44 PM
..somebody looking at their shoes would put me off..

G

El Salsero Gringo
14th-September-2005, 04:56 PM
There is a man on the front desk at ISH (Great Portland St) on Tuesday nights. Can't remember his name (Sorry!! :blush: )Bahi.

TiggsTours
14th-September-2005, 05:11 PM
There was a man on the desk at Milton Keynes Sunday, and we got a very nice welcome. It just set the tone, the whole venue was very friendly towards us outsiders from the sticks. :flower:
Its always a man at St Albans, and it was at Finchley the night I went there too.

El Salsero Gringo
14th-September-2005, 05:13 PM
.... and it was at Finchley the night I went there too.That will be the Man Known As Kevin.

Piglet
14th-September-2005, 05:14 PM
A smile goes a long way :nice: and its nice when they call you by your name as they take your card and things.

Not so good is when the laptop isn't working and it take ages for them to process your card! (Luckily that seemed to be teething problems and its not so bad these days). Also I hate waiting in a long queue to get in, but am usually there really early and miss the queues :D

LMC
14th-September-2005, 05:16 PM
That will be the Man Known As Kevin.
He's also frequently on the door at Stevenage, and IMO well worth the effort it usually takes to persuade him onto the dance floor!

bigdjiver
14th-September-2005, 05:39 PM
There was a man on the desk at Milton Keynes Sunday, and we got a very nice welcome. It just set the tone, the whole venue was very friendly towards us outsiders from the sticks. :flower:There were two guys on the door, taking turns on the door and dancing. Hopefully there are no "outsiders" at Ceroc. Little Freddie is the regular door person at MK, and the other does the door at other Ceroc Central venues.

David Bailey
14th-September-2005, 05:57 PM
That will be the Man Known As Kevin.
I was thinking of Kevin, then I thought - nahh, let someone else rash enough to do so, post.

Thanks for not letting me down, ESG.

Lou
14th-September-2005, 08:36 PM
- are there any venues with a man running the front desk?Steve does the door at St Bon's. :)

- as the front desk is your first impression (?) of a venue, what makes you feel welcome/unwelcome on entry?Unwelcome - Someone who'd rather be chatting to their mate sitting with them, than greating the punters with a smile... (not saying that this ever happens on a Thursday night..... :whistle: )

Andreas
14th-September-2005, 08:47 PM
welcome: I get there, pay and walk in, no questions asked.

unwelcome: I get there, have to show a card .... :mad:

Gojive
14th-September-2005, 11:21 PM
No matter what mood I'm in when I arrive at Woking, the girls on the desk always give me a smile and a warm welcome, so my evening gets off to a great start :cheers:

Front desk image? - vital!.....for returning punters at least, IMO :)

Dazzle
15th-September-2005, 02:57 AM
Front desk image? - vital!.....for returning punters at least, IMO :)

Totally agree with you here! The front desk staff and its appearance, promotional materials and so on make a huge difference. Does it look professional or a few things thrown on a table? We use tablecloths, offer mints, professional leaflet and card holders and try to give a very welcoming and professional image. In my area there are venues not like this with miserable door staff who take your money without a word of welcome! :eek: PEople talk about them in a very negative way and don't go back. When we changed venues/companies, some people came with us purely because they knew we were professional and welcoming people. :cheers:

Gojive
15th-September-2005, 10:47 AM
OT for a sec...

...{offer mints}...

Do you have have them in a bowl unwrapped?. The reason I ask, is because someone pointed out to me once that some people don't wash their hands after going to the loo, or sneezing etc, then proceed to dig in to the mints :sick:

As for the rest of your desk setup Dazzle, I couldn't agree more. Sounds like you have a great setup :clap:

Dazzle
15th-September-2005, 02:12 PM
OT for a sec...

Do you have have them in a bowl unwrapped?. The reason I ask, is because someone pointed out to me once that some people don't wash their hands after going to the loo, or sneezing etc, then proceed to dig in to the mints :sick:

I agree with what you are saying, unfortunately, costs dictate we have several strategically placed bowls of Mint Imperials unwrapped. I say this because we go through a minimum of 6 packets a night! That would be very expensive with wrapped mints! Also we were told the same but that the same can happen to wrapped mints too as the exterior can still transfer anything on to your hands from after you unwrap them. The sorry fact is that there are both men and women who do not wash their hands after going to the loo :angry: . The same applies to dancing, do we wash our hands after each and every one? Do we where gloves? Extreme I know. When we first realised this we took the mints out of circulation, but this nearly caused a riot! :eek:

I guess some germs are inevitable, but generally, millions WILL die!

Gojive
15th-September-2005, 02:39 PM
I agree with what you are saying, unfortunately, costs dictate we have several strategically placed bowls of Mint Imperials unwrapped. I say this because we go through a minimum of 6 packets a night! That would be very expensive with wrapped mints! Also we were told the same but that the same can happen to wrapped mints too as the exterior can still transfer anything on to your hands from after you unwrap them. The sorry fact is that there are both men and women who do not wash their hands after going to the loo :angry: . The same applies to dancing, do we wash our hands after each and every one? Do we where gloves? Extreme I know. When we first realised this we took the mints out of circulation, but this nearly caused a riot! :eek:

Fair points - I can understand that :)

bigdjiver
15th-September-2005, 03:52 PM
lick the germs off first. (Protein - yummy :) )

murphy
15th-September-2005, 03:56 PM

millions will die? Are we talking germs or dancers....??? :rofl:

JonD
15th-September-2005, 05:21 PM
Why should you wash your hands before eating anything when you've been dancing? This little cautionary tale was related to me by Nelson.

N was dancing at a venue, which shall remain nameless, when he felt the need to visit the toilet. As he stood at the urinal a guy came in and had a pee. This fellow made a right pig's ear of urinating and cursed as he fumbled his grip and soaked his own hands. N had taken avoiding action, alerted by his neighbour's oath, and watched as the guy shook his hands free of surplus liquid over the the urinal. N went to wash his hands and was busy with soap and water when Mr Inaccurate came over to the sinks. To N's amazement, instead of washing his hands this creature looked at his reflection in the mirror and ran his hands through his hair a number of times - presumably to combine the functions of drying his hands and restoring his coiffure. Leaving the toilet, still suffering from shock, N watched our hero proceed to dance with a woman, who danced with a guy who ..............

Always wash your hands! And be wary of bowls of mint imperials and peanuts......and, ladies, try not to think about the possibilities when a guy does a comb.

Zuhal
15th-September-2005, 05:39 PM
Also beware of being next to Shakin Stevens in the Gents on a Rock n Roll night.

Zuhal

MartinHarper
15th-September-2005, 06:15 PM
Be wary of bowls of mint imperials and peanuts.......

Snopes has some info on that (http://www.snopes.com/food/tainted/mints.htm).

Compare that risk to the dangers from computer keyboard (http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNew%20s/1113222607687_2/?hub=TopStories) we use to browse the forum, or the money (http://www.newsflash.org/2003/05/si/si001628.htm) we pay with to get in.

Dazzle
15th-September-2005, 07:24 PM

Toilet Cleaning Product advert punch line steal! GERMS hopefully!

angelique
15th-September-2005, 11:10 PM

I could REALLY lower the tone of this thread and say there are other "things" that die in their millions too! :eek: :rofl:

But I won't cos I'm not like that! :wink: :innocent:

frodo
15th-September-2005, 11:15 PM
I agree with what you are saying, unfortunately, costs dictate we have several strategically placed bowls of Mint Imperials unwrapped. I say this because we go through a minimum of 6 packets a night!
Nice to do it at all.

That would be very expensive with wrapped mints! Also we were told the same but that the same can happen to wrapped mints too as the exterior can still transfer anything on to your hands from after you unwrap them.
On to your hands certainly, but the mint doesn't ever have to touch your hands.

TiggsTours
16th-September-2005, 05:20 PM
Why should you wash your hands before eating anything when you've been dancing? This little cautionary tale was related to me by Nelson.

N was dancing at a venue, which shall remain nameless, when he felt the need to visit the toilet. As he stood at the urinal a guy came in and had a pee. This fellow made a right pig's ear of urinating and cursed as he fumbled his grip and soaked his own hands. N had taken avoiding action, alerted by his neighbour's oath, and watched as the guy shook his hands free of surplus liquid over the the urinal. N went to wash his hands and was busy with soap and water when Mr Inaccurate came over to the sinks. To N's amazement, instead of washing his hands this creature looked at his reflection in the mirror and ran his hands through his hair a number of times - presumably to combine the functions of drying his hands and restoring his coiffure. Leaving the toilet, still suffering from shock, N watched our hero proceed to dance with a woman, who danced with a guy who ..............

Always wash your hands! And be wary of bowls of mint imperials and peanuts......and, ladies, try not to think about the possibilities when a guy does a comb.
I feel quite unwell! I don't think I'll ever dance again! :sick:

El Salsero Gringo
16th-September-2005, 05:43 PM

Urine is sterile, unless you have a bladder infection. Some people drink it, for kicks, or for health reasons. You might even say it was a good way to wash away any bacteria from your hands after dancing with random people. (I suppose I should add, I prefer soap and water myself.)