PDA

View Full Version : How far do you walk?

Little Monkey
13th-September-2005, 09:29 PM
Just watched a program on TV about exercise.... For most people, motivation is the biggest problem when it comes to exercise (except if you're a dancer, of course :wink: ), so the experts now say that all you need to do to be fit, is to walk at least 10,000 steps per day. Don't use the lift - use the stairs, that kind of stuff.

I just used MemoryMap to find out approx. how far I walk per day (sad and bored, yes I know). On an average day I walk my dog twice, then walk to and from work. This clocks up 10 kilometers, which equals well over 20,000 steps! If I have to walk into town and back, too, this adds another 4 kilometers, etc etc. So really (according to the experts) I should be rather fit, considering that I dance several hours a week too! But I feel very flabby and unfit!!

So, what about the rest of you? How far do you walk every day (on an average day, not when hiking at the weekend etc)? Do you only walk from the car/ bus/ tube to the office. Do you always take the car to do your shopping. Do you go for a walk in the park? Are we too lazy in our everyday lifes, and rely on modern technology and transport too much?

Unfit Little Monkey

WittyBird
13th-September-2005, 09:42 PM
I take the car every day and even drive to the shop! but i also go to the gym 4 or 5 times a week and run alot. I am so lazy i like the treadmill because if i have to stop cos im knackered i get off at exactly the same place i got on and its only a few steps to the pool for a swim to cool down! :rofl:

DavidY
13th-September-2005, 09:42 PM
Not nearly enough I'm afraid. I live way too far from work to walk or cycle there. My desk is on the ground floor so I don't even always get stairs to walk up. :sad: My average day sadly doesn't have enough walking - dancing is about the only exercise I get.

When I do get outdoors for some proper walking it's clear I'm not as fit as some folk..

ElaineB
13th-September-2005, 10:08 PM
Depends which stage of my life we are talking about! When I had horses, I walked (and rode) for miles and miles!

This year not so much walking, although funnily enough I did walk most of the way into work this morning - about 3 miles and will probably do the same tomorrow. The reason? Trying to save petrol - just in case! :whistle:

I work on the third floor of an Office block, but we cannot take the stairs, it has to be the lift (security!), so I always go for a wander at lunchtime - about 40 minutes.

Elaine

Gojive
13th-September-2005, 10:50 PM
I don't walk very much on an average day, but my partner and I usually do a fairly decent walk every weekend. In the last four weekends, we've climbed Snowdon, and done walks of 7, 8, and 15 miles :)

I'm curious to know just how many miles we cover on the dance floor on a MJ weekender :grin:

Lynn
13th-September-2005, 11:14 PM
I used to walk a lot more - not to work but good brisk walk to bus, walk to shops etc - didn't have a car. I definitely do a lot less 'functional' walking (ie simply getting from A to B) now I have a car. Though I do try to do some regular recreational walking, and if its dry will often opt to walk rather than take the car if going down to the shops.

Lynn
13th-September-2005, 11:16 PM
I'm curious to know just how many miles we cover on the dance floor on a MJ weekender :grin: Anyone want to try wearing one of those stepometer things when dancing?

I don't dance regularly - but I was interested to see and feel the difference in my fitness and body shape after a week on a dance holiday this year (and including eating buffet style meals 3 times a day!)

FirstMove
13th-September-2005, 11:29 PM
I live 20mins from work, which I walk. There's too much forum to read to spend any more time exercising :)

Gojive
13th-September-2005, 11:36 PM
Anyone want to try wearing one of those stepometer things when dancing?

I'm seriously tempted Lynn. Maybe at Camber in Nov...

I don't dance regularly - but I was interested to see and feel the difference in my fitness and body shape after a week on a dance holiday this year (and including eating buffet style meals 3 times a day!)

Ah yes, you went to Barcelona didn't you?.....was it like last year, where you had to walk/catch the Metro for miles to each evening venue? :)

frodo
13th-September-2005, 11:38 PM
How many kilometers do you walk in an average day :confused: :)

Lynn
13th-September-2005, 11:40 PM
Ah yes, you went to Barcelona didn't you?.....was it like last year, where you had to walk/catch the Metro for miles to each evening venue? :) No, I was in Costa Dorada. And I just had to walk the length of the hotel pool as all the dancing was in the hotel. Did visit Barcelona and Tarragona for a couple of days sightseeing so walked plenty those days, but most exercise was actually dancing.

Gojive
13th-September-2005, 11:43 PM
So, what about the rest of you? How far do you walk every day (on an average day, not when hiking at the weekend etc)?

Apologies LM - I missed that bit :blush: :flower:

Gojive
13th-September-2005, 11:44 PM
No, I was in Costa Dorada. And I just had to walk the length of the hotel pool as all the dancing was in the hotel. Did visit Barcelona and Tarragona for a couple of days sightseeing so walked plenty those days, but most exercise was actually dancing.

Sounds a lot better than last year then Lynn! :cheers:

Lynn
13th-September-2005, 11:50 PM
Sounds a lot better than last year then Lynn! :cheers:Different holiday. I was on the Jive Addiction one - it was their first dance holiday - and up to their usual high standards. So I wasn't doing much walking - but 4 hours of dance workshops each day and several hours of freestyle each night, definitely had an impact - I felt fitter and healthier by the end of the week (of course the nice food, the relaxing holiday etc would all have contributed to that too!)

ducasi
14th-September-2005, 12:37 AM
I got one of those freebie pedometers from Walker's crisps back in February, not long before I started doing Ceroc. At the time I would occasionally walk home from work, rather that getting the underground.

On an average day I walked about 10,000 paces, on peak days it would be nearer 20,000, and on a lazy Sunday it was down around 6,000.

Not bad going at all. So, even though I don't walk home as much these days, I reckon with the dancing I'm way above the 10,000 paces a day that's recommended.

No wonder my legs hurt and I'm always tired! :sick: :wink:

Little Monkey
14th-September-2005, 10:11 AM
Apologies LM - I missed that bit :blush: :flower:

That's ok! I sometimes go hillwalking, too, and will walk for 5-10 hours..... I love it, and so does my dog!

Just out of curiosity - how long did it take you to climb Snowdon? My ex made me run up and down it a few years ago, so we did it.... Umm.... In hardly any time at all (I thought I was going to die!!!!!). Just wondering how long it should normally take!! :whistle: :D

Happy walking!

LM

Lynn
14th-September-2005, 10:19 AM
I sometimes go hillwalking, too, and will walk for 5-10 hours..... I love it, and so does my dog! I used to go hillwalking about once a month - but my old boots started to really hurt - and I'm having real problems in getting new ones that fit and are comfortable. So haven't been in ages. I really should have another go at buying new boots.

senorita
14th-September-2005, 10:20 AM
I used to go hillwalking about once a month - but my old boots started to really hurt - and I'm having real problems in getting new ones that fit and are comfortable. So haven't been in ages. I really should have another go at buying new boots.

Millets have a really good boots sale at the moment.
Go girl go!

under par
14th-September-2005, 10:24 AM
I used to go hillwalking about once a month - but my old boots started to really hurt - and I'm having real problems in getting new ones that fit and are comfortable. So haven't been in ages. I really should have another go at buying new boots.

Hi Lynn, I bet you wouldn't have taken so long if it was dance shoes you were after :whistle:

see you Friday :kiss:

senorita
14th-September-2005, 10:42 AM
:confused: :)

I love hiking! I walk about 10/15 miles everyday before work-lunch time and after work, and at wkends quite alot of miles are covered. When I get time I like to head away to the hills for the wkend and just walk my feets off! I hate to think how many calories I do burn! I am hiking in Peru next year to raise money for Alzheimer's disease, and hopefully if I can get the time off work I will do China to raise money for Asthma. If anyone would like to sponser me that would be gratefully appreciated ;-)

My bike is my car, its my form of transport..I cycle everywhere..to town-shopping-work etc etc....everyday I cover around 12/25 miles a day. Weekends the miles go on & on...25/45 miles a day approx

Next time I go dancing, I think out of curiousity I will wear my heart monitor to see how many calories I do burn off in one night. lol

Gill (Norwich)
14th-September-2005, 10:44 AM
Ah yes, you went to Barcelona didn't you?.....was it like last year, where you had to walk/catch the Metro for miles to each evening venue? :)
I went to the Barcelona one in August, and yes was in the Expo Hotel miles from where it was all happening, despite all the dancing (and eating) I came home weighing exactly the same as when I went. Going on the one Lynn went on in October, have a feeling it maybe a different story I'll just have to dance MORE :sick:
Anyone else going in October?

Lynn
14th-September-2005, 12:09 PM
Hi Lynn, I bet you wouldn't have taken so long if it was dance shoes you were after :whistle:

see you Friday :kiss: Very true!

Looking forward to a dance on Fri night! :hug:

jivecat
14th-September-2005, 02:05 PM
I used to go hillwalking about once a ....week.......but then I discovered Ceroc.

On the rare occasions when I now go hill-walking I don't notice that my fitness has declined much, so it says a lot for the aerobic benefits of dancing.

If anyone wears a pedometer at Southport I'd be very interested in fearing the results.

Just reread that, freudian slap, or what?

bigdjiver
14th-September-2005, 03:19 PM
Has anybody succeeded in getting a pedometer reading? I have had four attempts. The first three failed because it kept falling off, (I lost one). The last attempt went bleep as I removed it, and showed 0. :(

Gojive
14th-September-2005, 03:57 PM
That's ok! I sometimes go hillwalking, too, and will walk for 5-10 hours..... I love it, and so does my dog!

Just out of curiosity - how long did it take you to climb Snowdon? My ex made me run up and down it a few years ago, so we did it.... Umm.... In hardly any time at all (I thought I was going to die!!!!!). Just wondering how long it should normally take!! :whistle: :D

Happy walking!

LM

Hi LM

We took the Pyg Track, which I gather is around middle of the road (so to speak) as regards difficulty, and climbed from Pen-Y-Pass to the summit in 2 hours 40 (with frequent rest stops) :)

Gojive
14th-September-2005, 04:00 PM
I love hiking! I walk about 10/15 miles everyday

Now that's impressive!!! :worthy:

I start to feel knackered around the 8 mile marker. The longest I've done in recent years, is 20 miles in Norway....in sub-zero conditions! :really:

Little Monkey
14th-September-2005, 05:37 PM
Now that's impressive!!! :worthy:

I start to feel knackered around the 8 mile marker. The longest I've done in recent years, is 20 miles in Norway....in sub-zero conditions! :really:

You make sub-zero sound like the North Pole or something Tee-hee! I'm Norwegian, and when I lived in the Land of Vikings and Expensive Alcohol, I used to walk my dogs in the forest every day, between 1 1/2 and 3 hours, all year round. The only time we cut the walkies short, was when it was -35C... Even my dogs wanted to go back inside!!! :eek:

I'm actually cold more often over here than I ever was in Norway. It's so damp here, and it goes right through your bones, and feels like its below zero even when its way above! Saying that, I very often seem to be able to walk further when it's cool, and prefer autumn and winter walking to summer. No clammy heat, no midgies. But lack of daylight, which means early starts. Poo! :(

Oh, and my nasty (not!!!) ex made me run up and down Snowdon in just over 2 hours. B****rd! I was knackered! And that was after a day of rock climbing, too........... I think your time is slightly more sane.

LM

Cruella
14th-September-2005, 07:00 PM
You make sub-zero sound like the North Pole or something Tee-hee! I'm Norwegian, and when I lived in the Land of Vikings and Expensive Alcohol, I used to walk my dogs in the forest every day, between 1 1/2 and 3 hours, all year round. The only time we cut the walkies short, was when it was -35C... Even my dogs wanted to go back inside!!! :eek:

I'm actually cold more often over here than I ever was in Norway. It's so damp here, and it goes right through your bones, and feels like its below zero even when its way above! Saying that, I very often seem to be able to walk further when it's cool, and prefer autumn and winter walking to summer. No clammy heat, no midgies. But lack of daylight, which means early starts. Poo! :(

Oh, and my nasty (not!!!) ex made me run up and down Snowdon in just over 2 hours. B****rd! I was knackered! And that was after a day of rock climbing, too........... I think your time is slightly more sane.

LM

My husband is doing the Polar Challenge next year. A 350mile walk across the north pole!! I believe it gets as low as -60 degrees. But the worst part is that they have to have shooting training as the Polar bears are their biggest threat!! Apparently you are supposed to make yourself as big as possible and shout really loudly if you get threatened by one. Not quite sure what it is they are going to shout! "Go Away" "Bugger off" Personally i think he's gone mad!

Stuart
14th-September-2005, 07:23 PM
Has anybody succeeded in getting a pedometer reading? I have had four attempts. The first three failed because it kept falling off, (I lost one). The last attempt went bleep as I removed it, and showed 0. :(
I walked the same route (there and back) with one pedometer and got two completely different readings.

I usually walk to work and back, but that is only about 3km. I'm planning to do a lot more in the near future.

Lynn
14th-September-2005, 07:45 PM
I was supposed to be walking tonight but we cancelled it as it involved too many people travelling across the city - and things are still settling down here after our annual post parade riots. :tears: Better not to go anyway - I managed to get a blister on my heel on Sat night - despite wearing a well worn and comfy pair of dance shoes :tears: (it was the joy of having a dance night in Belfast, I couldn't sit down all evening). So need to rest my feet for Southport.

dee
14th-September-2005, 09:26 PM
I do at least 4 miles walking a day, i do have a car but tend to leave it at home quite alot must get one of those pedometer things to find out how much i do exactly . I also go to the gym 3 times a week and go horse riding plus dancing, gosh no wonder most nights im in bed by ten :sick:

Gojive
14th-September-2005, 11:26 PM
I went to the Barcelona one in August, and yes was in the Expo Hotel miles from where it was all happening, despite all the dancing (and eating) I came home weighing exactly the same as when I went. Going on the one Lynn went on in October, have a feeling it maybe a different story I'll just have to dance MORE :sick:
Anyone else going in October?

Did you have just one venue this year Gill?

Last year, we had at least 3 different venues, with start times from 8pm to 1am!, and spread all over the city :angry: . I have to say though, it was one of the few bad points of the holiday. I managed to get in a few miles walking each afternoon.....invariably as a result of looking for the right place to eat and drink - there were just so many to choose from! :cheers:

Gojive
14th-September-2005, 11:30 PM

LM

LOL! As you say LM, althought the max daytime temp was around -2, it didn't really feel all that cold.

We had been treated to a superb fall of snow on xmas eve (what perfect timing!), and walking along the empty snow covered lanes under a full moon, was positively bliss! :drool: .

As for the alcohol.....£10 for the cheapest of cheap red wine in the "Vin Monopolet(sp?)? :sick: - The only downer (or non-downer really) of our holiday really :)

MartinHarper
15th-September-2005, 10:01 AM
I miss being able to walk to work. It makes such a difference.

I should be rather fit, considering that I dance several hours a week too! But I feel very flabby and unfit!!

You didn't look flabby or unfit at S'port.
To be honest, I can think of very few regular dancers who look unfit. Even the heavier boys and girls tend to look well-exercised with it.

Baby Peaches
15th-September-2005, 12:05 PM
LOL! As you say LM, althought the max daytime temp was around -2, it didn't really feel all that cold.

We had been treated to a superb fall of snow on xmas eve (what perfect timing!), and walking along the empty snow covered lanes under a full moon, was positively bliss! :drool: .

As for the alcohol.....£10 for the cheapest of cheap red wine in the "Vin Monopolet(sp?)? :sick: - The only downer (or non-downer really) of our holiday really :)

Tell me about it! One of the reasons I am not a big drinker, 5 quid for a glass of white wine is the pits!! :angry:

Anyway, running around after two small children every day, doing jazzercise 2-3 times a week and also my dance classes I am just too knackerd to walk to the shops :whistle: . Would be interested to see just how many steps that I do in a day though. Must get one of those pedometers.

BeeBee
15th-September-2005, 01:10 PM
This has just started a big debate in the office, so it is agreed that a pedometer will be located and out of mindless curiosity try to find out what I walk in an average day. Im out and about quite a lot during the day, criss crossing the city, so I'm kinda sure I do a few k per day :innocent: . Plus theres a million stairs in our building and leading up to the building so sometimes I feel like I;ve done a stint on the stair master if its a hectic morning :sick: And they say exercise is good for you?! Pah! :rolleyes: :grin:

CJ
15th-September-2005, 01:16 PM
This has just started a big debate in the office, so it is agreed that a pedometer will be located and out of mindless curiosity try to find out what I walk in an average day. Im out and about quite a lot during the day, criss crossing the city, so I'm kinda sure I do a few k per day :innocent: . Plus theres a million stairs in our building and leading up to the building so sometimes I feel like I;ve done a stint on the stair master if its a hectic morning :sick: And they say exercise is good for you?! Pah! :rolleyes: :grin:

Get hame an' blaw yer cornet wiman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BeeBee
15th-September-2005, 01:18 PM
Get hame an' blaw yer cornet wiman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ach I know I;m a gas bag with plenty of wind but does this mean I'm going to be heckled from afar as well as at the parties? :rofl:

Little Monkey
15th-September-2005, 01:19 PM

Spelling is spot-on, sir!

Tell me about it! One of the reasons I am not a big drinker, 5 quid for a glass of white wine is the pits!!

Why do you think I buy bottles of wine every time I go to see my family in Norway???? I think my (Scottish) step-dad is in a state of shock.... He moved to Norway with my mum last winter, and still gets fits every time he goes shopping because of the prices!)

And why do you think I started drinking much more as soon as I moved over here?? :D Actually, I now drink very little and very rarely, but always have a few bottles in my wine rack just in case...

LM

Little Monkey
15th-September-2005, 01:20 PM
You didn't look flabby or unfit at S'port.

:hug: :kiss: :flower: :kiss: :hug: