PDA

View Full Version : Friday 30th September

DianaS
13th-September-2005, 03:06 PM
I'll be in London dazzled by the bright lights of Leicerster Square. I was wondering if there's any place worth dropping into later in the evening for a lesson or freestyle. :D

:tears: It seems very quiet that way on my events lists

Northants Girly
13th-September-2005, 03:22 PM
I'll be in London dazzled by the bright lights of Leicerster Square. I was wondering if there's any place worth dropping into later in the evening for a lesson or freestyle. :D

:tears: It seems very quiet that way on my events listsI think Hipsters might be on that night as there is a date change . . . .

not sure though :rolleyes:

Jooles
13th-September-2005, 03:24 PM
Or, the Casbah. Close to South Kensington tube

DianaS
13th-September-2005, 03:30 PM
what happens at the Casbah then?
Sounds interesting Does any one know if Hipsters will be on on the 30th??
Godda dance :yeah: I'll have been in a conference ALL DAY :what:

Jooles
13th-September-2005, 03:47 PM
The Casbah is a usual Ceroc night........Beginners lesson, Intermediate lesson and freestyle until 11 I think. Aussie Simon sometimes teaches, Mike Ellard often teaches. I don't always make the class so not sure who is the most regular.

Small bar serving beer, wine and soft drinks. the music can be very hit and miss. It was probably the worst I have ever known it this Friday. Lots of people complaining about songs which were not easy to dance to.

At this time of year though be warned, it gets very, very hot. Make sure, if you do come to the Casbah, that you wear something very cool.

DianaS
13th-September-2005, 03:52 PM
The Casbah is a usual Ceroc night........Beginners lesson, Intermediate lesson and freestyle until 11 I think. Aussie Simon sometimes teaches, Mike Ellard often teaches. I don't always make the class so not sure who is the most regular.

Small bar serving beer, wine and soft drinks. the music can be very hit and miss. It was probably the worst I have ever known it this Friday. Lots of people complaining about songs which were not easy to dance to.

At this time of year though be warned, it gets very, very hot. Make sure, if you do come to the Casbah, that you wear something very cool.

Hey thanks Jooles. I'll have to do a quick change somewhere and find a place to stash my bag!!

It's great to hit a new venue and since I'm in the area...

bigdjiver
13th-September-2005, 03:56 PM

:tears: It seems very quiet that way on my events listsBring back Notre Dame ... :tears:

Gojive
13th-September-2005, 04:33 PM
Bring back Notre Dame ... :tears:

"Notre Dame"?....that name rings a bell :)

(Yeah I know, you had a hunch someone would come back with that remark! :blush: )

Are you doing Rebel Yell the next day then Diana? :)

Minnie M
13th-September-2005, 04:46 PM
I will be at Ceroc Surrey (Surbiton) Kyle & Sarah are teaching WCS :worthy: and I believe the MJ room is open now too (help me Almost an Angel :D )

Minnie M
13th-September-2005, 04:47 PM
:tears: :tears: ahhhh..... those were the days :flower:

DianaS
13th-September-2005, 04:53 PM
"Notre Dame"?....that name rings a bell :)

(Yeah I know, you had a hunch someone would come back with that remark! :blush: )

Are you doing Rebel Yell the next day then Diana? :)
Hell No!
What's Rebel Yell though,- it sounds tempting :devil:

CeeCee
13th-September-2005, 04:56 PM
[QUOTE=Jooles]The Casbah is a usual Ceroc night........
Lots of people complaining about songs...

So nothing new there then for any dance venue I would suggest. If you tried to find a venue where everyone is happy with the music and noone complains you'd probably never leave home.

The Casbah is a great venue, I'm there every week, never miss it unless I'm on a weekender. Gary has taught there roughly six or seven classes during the last couple of months so is that regular? Unless there's a change of plan, Simon isn't due to teach there that night.

Lots of room to change in the downstairs ladies where you'll be joined by a group of other lasses doing the same thing after work. There is also a loo for the disabled upstairs where you can have some privacy if you are shy. Plenty of room to leave your luggage by the coat racks or inside, take your pick.

Have a nice time wherever you decide to go Diana

Gojive
13th-September-2005, 04:59 PM
Hell No!

An all day workshop event in Woking, formerly run by the lovely Katy Baxter :worthy: (Rebel Roc), now run by Ceroc Surrey. The day ends with a great evening of freestyle, complete with (usually) an awesome cabaret.

www.rebelroc.com

:)

Minnie M
Hell No!

Rebel Yell (http://www.ceroc.org.uk/)

DavidY
Hell No!
What's Rebel Yell though,- it sounds tempting :devil:It's a day of workshops plus evening freestyle in Woking. Forum debate here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6342) and you could also look at Rebel Roc website. (http://www.rebelroc.com/)

Gojive
13th-September-2005, 05:01 PM
LOL - Ask, and ye shall get get multiple replies :D

DianaS
13th-September-2005, 05:09 PM
[QUOTE=Jooles]The Casbah is a usual Ceroc night........
Lots of people complaining about songs...

So nothing new there then for any dance venue I would suggest. If you tried to find a venue where everyone is happy with the music and noone complains you'd probably never leave home.

The Casbah is a great venue, I'm there every week, never miss it unless I'm on a weekender. Gary has taught there roughly six or seven classes during the last couple of months so is that regular? Unless there's a change of plan, Simon isn't due to teach there that night.

Lots of room to change in the downstairs ladies where you'll be joined by a group of other lasses doing the same thing after work. There is also a loo for the disabled upstairs where you can have some privacy if you are shy. Plenty of room to leave your luggage by the coat racks or inside, take your pick.

Have a nice time wherever you decide to go Diana
That sounds Perfect!!
WEll any one else coming along or is it a hipsters night :devil:

DianaS
13th-September-2005, 05:10 PM
It's a day of workshops plus evening freestyle in Woking. Forum debate here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6342) and you could also look at Rebel Roc website. (http://www.rebelroc.com/)
I'm training it down and already got my tickets so I'll have to see about Woking !!
But I'm seriously tempted! :whistle:

David Bailey
13th-September-2005, 05:15 PM
[QUOTE=CeeCee]
That sounds Perfect!!
I've heard a rumour that certain people do both - sort of makes sense, Casbah finishes around 11pm, and it's only a 20 minute drive to Hipsters, which doesn't really get lively till after 10pm and finishes at 1am....

So you'd get two classes, and nigh-on 4 hours of freestyle, if you did both.

DianaS
13th-September-2005, 09:05 PM
[QUOTE=DianaS]
I've heard a rumour that certain people do both - sort of makes sense, Casbah finishes around 11pm, and it's only a 20 minute drive to Hipsters, which doesn't really get lively till after 10pm and finishes at 1am....

So you'd get two classes, and nigh-on 4 hours of freestyle, if you did both.
cool :waycool:
I'll have to see about transport 'cas I'm training it down but if theres a few of us we could always share a taxi! :whistle:

Andreas
13th-September-2005, 10:20 PM
[QUOTE=CeeCee]
That sounds Perfect!!

Yup, I will most likely be at the ball in Melbourne am crossing all fingers and toes already that they show a better taste in music than last time I was down there. But that obviously does not help you.

If Hipsters is on, go there. Reading through this thread displays a very broad spectrum of opinions about Casbah. I personally would class it the worst of the London venues I have been to. Music is mostly pretty fast and Rock'n'Roll-ish, it reminds more of a night club due to that. What Hipsters has in abundance is badly lacking at Casbah: a good variety.

CeeCee
27th-September-2005, 08:29 AM
Andreas Reading through this thread displays a very broad spectrum of opinions about Casbah. I personally would class it the worst of the London venues I have been to.

What a pity that you've not enjoyed yourself at the Casbah Andreas, I'm sorry to hear that. No idea when you last went there but would you be prepared to give it another try?

Some people really like it there, enough to go week after week and have a great time. Parking is really easy, buses and tubes close by, so why not enjoy the warm welcome, friendly people, fun classes, happy teachers, great music, approachable DJs, super dances, recently polished beautiful wooden floor, clean toilets (great gossip area for us ladies), dedicated taxi dancers (bring a newbie), free cloakroom, seating area away from the dancefloor (for those who need a well earned rest from the fabulous dances inside).

Tempted?

Cruella
27th-September-2005, 08:37 AM
I will be at Ceroc Surrey (Surbiton) Kyle & Sarah are teaching WCS :worthy: and I believe the MJ room is open now too (help me Almost an Angel :D )
I thought the MJ room was shut? So will the people from Surbiton come across to Hipsters afterwards or is it too far? Has it been confirmed that Kyle and Sarah are teaching?

David Bailey
27th-September-2005, 08:56 AM
Parking is really easy,
To be honest, that depends when you get there. But certainly it's no more difficult than Hammersmith; you can always find somewhere to park, but it may be a few minutes' walk away.

buses and tubes close by,
A definite plus, true - and it's a lovely area, lots of foodie places to meet and eat beforehand, and lots of cafes for post-dancing gossip, assuming you didn't get enough of that in the ladies' (I never do :) )

so why not enjoy the { scary list of stuff }
Blimey, you on commission or something?

I haven't been there for ages - too far for me travel-wise, and I'm lazy.
But one of the main advantages is a very nice demo / taxi dancer there, and the chance of a class by Mr Ellard - I could be wrong, but I believe that's the only place he's still teaching at?

I never really got a "feel" for the crowd in Cashbah, it always seemed to change every week; some nights were superb, others weren't. Probably due to the influence of The Ten (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=147088#post147088) or something...

I definitely don't think it's the worst venue in London.

And no, I'm definitely not going to say what I do think is the worst venue in London :)

CeeCee
27th-September-2005, 09:22 AM
[QUOTE=DavidJames]To be honest, that depends when you get there. But certainly it's no more difficult than Hammersmith; you can always find somewhere to park, but it may be a few minutes' walk away.

Perhaps I've just been lucky but I've had infinitely more difficulty parking for Hammersmith than the Casbah. The surrounding roads are easy so long as you check the resident parking times, I've never had to look further than Cromwell Road and Queen's Gate.

DavidJames A definite plus, true - and it's a lovely area, lots of foodie places to meet and eat beforehand, and lots of cafes for post-dancing gossip,

Ooh yes, forgot to mention those, thanks.

DavidJames Blimey, you on commission or something?

I'll suggest it to management.

DavidJames I definitely don't think it's the worst venue in London.

Thanks DJ, I have one vote for 'not the worst venue in London'!
Any more voters?

Yogi_Bear
27th-September-2005, 03:26 PM
This Friday - anyone going to St Neots? Or there is a new Easyjive night at Huntingdon...... :innocent:

Trousers
28th-September-2005, 01:22 AM
Friday - I'm looking at Hipsters - you know what you get - it is after all Phat Friday!
it does exactly what it says on the tin (wish the tins were colder tho)

Just gotta work on the female contingent now though else I'll be talking to the radio on the way home.

Saturday - The Rebel Yell will be the first one where Katie Baxter isn't in charge. This could mean good things but as a true Katie fan i suspect the worse but then I don't know who is at the helm as i ain't been down there since the buyout - so good luck. . . regardless.

And if Katies in here lurking . . . . Not had my invite yet dear heart! Have i been forgotten? xxx

But as I'm working in the (hmmm i bet Gus is watching) Wonderful Northwest. I bought a ticket to the Northwich Masked Ball and DWAS.
Incognito in a suit with a mask - I bet all the girls will recognise my ears tho! I'm going to change my on line persona to Wingnut methinks.

Oh and Saturday during the day I will be mostly busking in Stockport if i can find them - Vain Moi? I resemble that statement! Ah hell its a free dance after all and all those muggle ladies. . . . . ermm trust me I'm a errrmmm doctor? dentist? gyaenacologist????

Minnie M
28th-September-2005, 08:22 AM
I thought the MJ room was shut? So will the people from Surbiton come across to Hipsters afterwards or is it too far? Has it been confirmed that Kyle and Sarah are teaching?
I think I have posted this on another thread (can't remember which) but for those who have not seen it:

Paul Warden is teaching the main class - Kyle & Sarah will be giving a taster - details on their web page

Re: Modern Jive Class, sorry about that, I was waiting for Angel to confirm, however Friday at Surbiton is now WCS only (well it is at the moment)

These guys are really amazing, if you can't get to Rebel Yell, do try and get to Surbiton - it is only £7 and the hall is massive and as it finishes at 11pm (normal class night) a lot of us are trooping over to Hipsters after

Cruella
28th-September-2005, 08:32 AM
Ok, friday 8.30 at the Bella Pasta. Some of us are meeting up for drinks before venturing into Hipsters. The more the merrier! :cheers:

David Bailey
28th-September-2005, 08:42 AM
Ok, friday 8.30 at the Bella Pasta. Some of us are meeting up for drinks before venturing into Hipsters.
So, that's just me for the salsa class then? :sad:

Lory
28th-September-2005, 08:58 AM
Ok, friday 8.30 at the Bella Pasta. Some of us are meeting up for drinks before venturing into Hipsters. The more the merrier! :cheers:
Sorry I wont be able to join you but I hope you all have a good time... :cheers:

I'm off tomorrow, for a long weekend in Sardinia :) to celebrate our 20th aniversary :blush:

20 YEARS!!! :eek:

under par
28th-September-2005, 10:13 AM
I'm off tomorrow, for a long weekend in Sardinia :) to celebrate our 20th aniversary :blush:

1. CONGRATULATIONS :cheers: :cheers:

2. You would get less than 20 years for MURDER! :whistle: :whistle:

Gojive
28th-September-2005, 10:39 AM
Sorry I wont be able to join you but I hope you all have a good time... :cheers:

Congratulations, and have a great time Lory :clap:

I too will no doubt be experience a touch of Sardinia on Saturday....the Woking freestyle! :wink:

DianaS
28th-September-2005, 12:39 PM
So, that's just me for the salsa class then? :sad:
I've been PM'd abpout pasta but what times the Salsa class :sick:
Can't do both ya know
:sick:

Lucy Locket
28th-September-2005, 12:50 PM
:yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

TiggsTours
28th-September-2005, 01:02 PM
You know, it must be about 5 years now since Notre Dame last had a jive event, and people still miss it. Nothing's ever come close really. :tears:

spindr
28th-September-2005, 01:10 PM
I've been PM'd abpout pasta but what times the Salsa class :sick:
Can't do both ya know
:sick:
See www.mambocity.co.uk

SpinDr.

Almost an Angel
28th-September-2005, 01:58 PM
Re: Modern Jive Class, sorry about that, I was waiting for Angel to confirm, however Friday at Surbiton is now WCS only (well it is at the moment)

Sorry Minnie, :hug: :hug:

Haven't been checking the forum as much as I should. But you seem to have found the info anyway. I'll see you on Friday.

Apologetic little Angel xxxx

Minnie M
28th-September-2005, 02:11 PM
Sorry Minnie, :hug: :hug:

Haven't been checking the forum as much as I should. But you seem to have found the info anyway. I'll see you on Friday.

Apologetic little Angel xxxx

:clap: look forward to it :clap: (are you dancing yet ?)

David Bailey
28th-September-2005, 03:21 PM
See www.mambocity.co.uk

I'm on the mailing list, and got this on the email from them:

------------------------
5th Friday of the Month Special (30th Sept) Features Guest Instructor

"Rafael Del Busto” La Rueda Class

Classes for all Levels
Beginners, Improvers, with Susan, Jean and Rafael Del Busto
Intermediate Alexandre
Advance with "Robert"

Doors open 8pm
Class 8:30pm followed by
Dancing til 1:00am to Music by
DJ's Cruz & Guest
------------------------
So, yep, the classes are at the same time. At least, in theory - in practice, Latin Time is about 30-45 minutes later than GMT.

But don't worry, I'll be OK, spinning around to weird Spanish move names whilst you stuff your faces. Don't mind me...

stewart38
28th-September-2005, 10:57 PM
Just got this e-mail

why such late notification :sad:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

This Friday (30th September) its "Big Phat Friday Freestyle" at Ealing Town Hall. Please note that its a week earlier than scheduled as the Hipsters team is involved in next weeks Brit Rocks competition in Brighton.

However we do have something a little bit special this Friday.

A few months ago Nigel & Nina were asked to produce a lesson DVD by Ceroc Australia to be used as an "International" lesson at one of their big dance events in Sydney. The general idea is that we would video a whole lesson here in the UK and they would project this on a big screen in Sydney as an evening lesson for one of their events. We thought that it would be fab to get as many UK dancers as possible involved with the filming and therefore we have decided to video the class at this months Big Fat Friday Freestyle.

Nigel & Nina have come up with a "tricky" routine, based around the break patterns in the track "Sixteen Tons", which incorporates a couple of their favourite jive moves. The class is aimed to last 40 minutes, so the teaching will be quick.

We will start the filming at 9pm prompt, so as not to interfere with the rest of the evenings entertainment. However if you fancy getting a head
start on the routine Nigel & Nina will be going over some of the intricacies of the moves at 8.30 prior to the start of the class.

Here's a quick breakdown of the evening.
8pm Doors Open
8.30pm Moves introduction (Nigel & Nina)
9pm International Video Routine (Nigel & Nina)
9.45pm DJ Jon Brett
1am Carriages

Entrance £7.
------------------------------------------------------------

Cruella
29th-September-2005, 07:53 AM
Just got this e-mail

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess they heard about our party in the Bella Pasta!! So thought they'd try and entice us in through the doors earlier. :rofl:

David Bailey
29th-September-2005, 08:12 AM
Who knows? I mean Franco's normally so superb at this marketing and advanced planning / notification stuff... :whistle:

senorita
29th-September-2005, 08:39 AM

Have a great wkend, you'll love it there!
VERY Happy 20th anniversary to you both.
xx

senorita
29th-September-2005, 08:58 AM
But don't worry, I'll be OK, spinning around to weird Spanish move names whilst you stuff your faces. Don't mind me...

Us spanish dont have weird moves ;-) or do we move weirdly lol

Almost an Angel
29th-September-2005, 09:53 AM
:clap: look forward to it :clap: (are you dancing yet ?)
Hey Minnie :flower: :hug:

Yes I am dancing but I have to be very careful with my choice of partners.
I can't do dips or drops yet and no head flicks (a la Sally) etc... but I did have a couple of lovely dances with Paul :worthy: at WCS on Tues at Farnham!!!

And I'm looking forward to Sheepy's set at Rebel Yell and Kyle and Sarah :worthy: - more WCS - yippee :clap:

And before I get flamed - I'm being picky for a very good medical reason - all it takes is one inconsiderate person and I'll be set back a number of weeks, having just had 3 months out and missing out on Beach Boogie, Camp Savoy and Southport, I'm not exactly in the mood to do this. :mad:

TiggsTours
29th-September-2005, 10:31 AM
Yes I am dancing.....................
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :hug: :hug: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :D

Almost an Angel
29th-September-2005, 11:03 AM

Yes I'm pretty pleased about it too. :D
It's certainly taken long enough!!!!!

Thanks Tiggs :hug: :hug:

bigdjiver
29th-September-2005, 05:22 PM
Allegedly Michaela is planning to be teaching (V. gingerly, wrist permitting) at St. Neots.

Rhythm King
29th-September-2005, 05:29 PM
Allegedly Michaela is planning to be teaching (V. gingerly, wrist permitting) at St. Neots.
I'll be at Hipsters, funnily enough with a friend visiting from Cambridge, but please send her my regards

R-K

Minnie M
29th-September-2005, 05:34 PM
Yes I am dancing.....................

extra :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Limpy Tink
29th-September-2005, 09:59 PM

WOW!! :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: CONGRATULATIONS!!

Have a great time, both of you.

Lots of love. :hug:

robd
29th-September-2005, 10:17 PM

I think we've got some wiggling ahead of us tomorrow then :o

Rebecca
30th-September-2005, 10:27 AM

I've decided to venture down to Hipsters this evening to hopefully catch up with some lovely dancers with whom I had the pleasure at Southport.

I might pop my head into Bella Pasta for a drink, but if not I'll see you all in there!! :clap:

Rebecca x

TiggsTours
30th-September-2005, 10:54 AM
That sounds like a really nice idea, who's going (that I might recognise!)

Little Em
30th-September-2005, 11:29 AM
I'll be at Hipsters, funnily enough with a friend visiting from Cambridge, but please send her my regards

R-K

SEE YOU TONIGHT THEN? :grin:

few dances please :na:

Rhythm King
30th-September-2005, 11:35 AM
SEE YOU TONIGHT THEN? :grin:

few dances please :na:
:yeah:

Yeah Baby!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Paul F
30th-September-2005, 12:24 PM
Is noone doing this special 'international' class with Nigel?

It does sound pretty good especially as he is doing a "move introduction" session at 8!!

Trouble is, if i want to do that it would mean missing Kyle and Sarah :what:

Not sure I can do that :sick:

Paul F
30th-September-2005, 12:30 PM
:yeah:

Yeah Baby!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Be careful RK. I've heard she can be a little minx to dance with :devil: :D

Rhythm King
30th-September-2005, 12:42 PM
Be careful RK. I've heard she can be a little minx to dance with :devil: :D
And this would be a bad thing because?...

Lee
30th-September-2005, 04:28 PM
Well I'm off to West Coast Swing tonight at Surbiton.

Have a good weekend everyone!!

Lee

Minnie M
30th-September-2005, 05:23 PM
Well I'm off to West Coast Swing tonight at Surbiton.

Have a good weekend everyone!!

Lee
can I book a dance please Lee :innocent:

Lee
3rd-October-2005, 08:22 AM
can I book a dance please Lee :innocent:

Damm, change of plans, i couldn't go in the end. Sorry

Lee :(