PDA

View Full Version : Compare and Contrast SOUTHPORT and CAMBER

Gus
13th-September-2005, 02:27 PM
Was wondering. Only been to Southport once and its four years or so since I did a Camber ... are there any noticable differences in terms of teachers, DJs, accmodation, cost, fun, dancers, floorspace etc.?

El Salsero Gringo
13th-September-2005, 02:31 PM
Was wondering. Only been to Southport once and its four years or so since I did a Camber ... are there any noticable differences in terms of teachers, DJs, accmodation, cost, fun, dancers, floorspace etc.?Good attempt to raise the tone there Gus... let's see who buys into it.

Lynn
13th-September-2005, 02:49 PM
'Compare and Contrast' - sounds like a school exam question. :wink:

El Salsero Gringo
13th-September-2005, 02:52 PM
'Compare and Contrast' - sounds like a school exam question. :wink:Discuss.

Gill (Norwich)
13th-September-2005, 03:04 PM
Never was any good at these type of questions :(
I'll let you know in December after I have been to Southport and Camber :wink:

stewart38
13th-September-2005, 03:05 PM
Good attempt to raise the tone there Gus... let's see who buys into it.

There as good as each other, tone stays at zero

Anyone got the 'magazine' of what the line up will be at camber yet :whistle:

Lynn
13th-September-2005, 03:05 PM
Discuss.using examples.

Rachel
13th-September-2005, 03:08 PM
Was wondering. Only been to Southport once and its four years or so since I did a Camber ... are there any noticable differences in terms of teachers, DJs, accmodation, cost, fun, dancers, floorspace etc.? I was looking forward to seeing everyone's answers to this .... But I'll start, shall I?

Predominantely - given that there are great teachers, dancers and dj's at both events - I think that what makes the biggest difference is the layout:

I.e. location of the blues room at Southport by the bar/veranda - people being able to meet up, chat and have drinks while watching the goings on in the blues area.

Southport's extra room for latin sets is great, too, as well as the smaller ballroom. And the fact that all rooms are so close together.

The layout of the chalets in circles so that none is too far away from the main building.

And being geographically northern, the presence of the Scots at Southport makes such a difference - friendly, sociable beings that they are!!

Rachel

Gill (Norwich)
13th-September-2005, 03:19 PM
I was going to say great teachers at Southport but Rachel might think I was trying to creep :rolleyes:

stewart38
13th-September-2005, 03:24 PM
I was looking forward to seeing everyone's answers to this .... But I'll start, shall I?

Predominantely - given that there are great teachers, dancers and dj's at both events - I think that what makes the biggest difference is the layout:

I.e. location of the blues room at Southport by the bar/veranda - people being able to meet up, chat and have drinks while watching the goings on in the blues area.

Southport's extra room for latin sets is great, too, as well as the smaller ballroom. And the fact that all rooms are so close together.

The layout of the chalets in circles so that none is too far away from the main building.

And being geographically northern, the presence of the Scots at Southport makes such a difference - friendly, sociable beings that they are!!

Rachel

Agree to all the above but still wouldnt put one above the other (apart from Magazine)

For as they are 'similar' the experience I get depends on the people there and mood im in.

under par
13th-September-2005, 03:25 PM
Predominantely - given that there are great teachers, dancers and dj's at both events - :yeah:

I think that what makes the biggest difference is the layout:

It is almost a chill out area in the restaurant area of the blues room where you can sit and talk and OBSERVE the dancing. get a drink etc. without feeling crowded out or all over the dancers.

and it has the added bonus of huge patio doors that can be opened out to the decking and allow open air dancing as well as under cover.

this area is great meeting place during the daytime too and there are enough people gathering usually to start impromptu freestyle during the daylight hours.

Rachel

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

El Salsero Gringo
13th-September-2005, 03:26 PM
using examples.Candidates should be aware that extra marks will be given for appropriate use of diagrams and maps. The blank paper provided may be used for this purpose.

Gus
13th-September-2005, 03:30 PM
So ... can anyone post the respective teacher and DJ lists?

Rachel
13th-September-2005, 03:35 PM
I was going to say great teachers at Southport but Rachel might think I was trying to creep :rolleyes: Say it, say it!! God knows, I wanted to ... :wink: And don't forget the dj's ...
R. xx

under par
13th-September-2005, 03:39 PM

No.

Southport have improved the weekend experience producing a pocketsized colour brochure of the itinary which is posted out a week before.

Camber you get a photocopy of A4 when you arrive in black and white.

a plus to southport :flower:

Gill (Norwich)
13th-September-2005, 03:39 PM
Say it, say it!! God knows, I wanted to ... :wink: And don't forget the dj's ...
R. xx
Here goes : ;)
Certain teachers that will be at Southport are great, and as for some of the Djs , wow they are fantastic :clap:
Was that good enough Rachel, or was I meant to name names? :D
My the way, that is at least one dance Marc will owe me :flower:

Rachel
13th-September-2005, 03:51 PM
What was that, Gill? Oh, yes you mean:

Here goes : ;)
Certain teachers [edit: Marc] that will be at Southport are great, and as for some of the Djs [edit: Marc], wow they are fantastic :clap:
Was that good enough Rachel, or was I meant to name names? :D
My the way, that is at least one dance Marc will owe me :flower: Mmm, yes, that was pretty good!! :wink:

Consider yourself booked for a dance (I'm just Marc's pimp, really - knew I had a purpose in life!).

Lory
13th-September-2005, 03:58 PM
I think that's one of the biggest differences... Cambers list seems to be kept a secret, until basically, when you arrive :confused: (unless you happen to know some of the Dj's :wink: and even they aren't that sure till about a fortnight previous! :D )

The accommodation is the same to the point of even having the same curtain material but apparently, since last time, some of Southport's chalets have been upgraded!

They have water coolers at Southport, which avoids having to queue and the water's always cold! :cheers:

BUT the bar service in the blues room at Southport was abysmally slow :mad: (I really really hope it's better this time :flower: )

The chances of being quite far from the venue at Camber are higher than S'port and that's major factor for me as I like to keep popping back to freshen up and change, etc. and I get stupidly cold and my feet can't handle it... I'm not sure I can take that risk again, I hated it! :tears: whine whine :rolleyes:

I can't say i prefer one blues room to the other, they're just so different and I've had great times in both! :waycool:

As for the main rooms, I can't really comment on either, as I hardly frequent them! :blush:

I do love the veranda at S'port though... especially for lazy lunchtime drinking sessions! :devil: ( :really: did I just say that? :innocent: )

drathzel
13th-September-2005, 04:40 PM
if someone body want to go to camber where would they get the details? :whistle:

Feelingpink
13th-September-2005, 04:46 PM
if someone body want to go to camber where would they get the details? :whistle:You might go here (http://www.jivetime.co.uk/page2.html)

drathzel
13th-September-2005, 05:46 PM
You might go here (http://www.jivetime.co.uk/page2.html)

and if one wanted to maybe fly, what airport would one fly to? :D

DavidY
13th-September-2005, 05:50 PM
I remember it was quite hard to find anywhere park on-site at Camber, whereas at Southport there always seem to be enough spaces in the car park areas.

Couple of years since I went to Camber though - is this still true?

dee
14th-September-2005, 12:24 PM
I remember it was quite hard to find anywhere park on-site at Camber, whereas at Southport there always seem to be enough spaces in the car park areas.

I would like to know that one? i've not been for a few years, last time we went we had to park in the middle of the road, take our cases in and drive around the complex looking for a space to no avail, so i landed up moving a great big Biffa type bin thing and park there. Nightmare! Hope it's not still like that.

TiggsTours
14th-September-2005, 12:30 PM
and if one wanted to maybe fly, what airport would one fly to? :D
Fly? To Camber? Not a chance! Nearest airports that I can think of, Gatwick (about 50 miles) Shoreham-by-sea (same sort of distance, and highly unlikely to find a flight) Southampton (about 100 miles).

Unless anyone knows of any other?

under par
14th-September-2005, 12:34 PM
Fly? To Camber? Not a chance! Nearest airports that I can think of, Gatwick (about 50 miles) Shoreham-by-sea (same sort of distance, and highly unlikely to find a flight) Southampton (about 100 miles).

Unless anyone knows of any other?

There is a minor airport at Lydd but I doubt they'ed get a 747 in there.

jivecat
14th-September-2005, 12:52 PM
:yeah:

It is almost a chill out area in the restaurant area of the blues room where you can sit and talk and OBSERVE the dancing. get a drink etc. without feeling crowded out or all over the dancers.

and it has the added bonus of huge patio doors that can be opened out to the decking and allow open air dancing as well as under cover.

this area is great meeting place during the daytime too and there are enough people gathering usually to start impromptu freestyle during the daylight hours.

That fact that it's such a public area is also a disadvantage. I don't want to feel that I'm being watched by the dozens of casual onlookers so I like the privacy which the murky recesses of Camber's blues room provide. The Southport blues room is also pitifully small for the number of people who want to dance in it in the evenings 12 till 4ish. I have had some lovely times in the S'port blues room, though, because a huge advantage is that it's OPEN ALL DAY.

Now that the side hall (at Southport) is open as a third lesson venue (I'm assuming it will be this time, also) there is a greater choice of classes during the day, AND the blues room if you just want to freestyle. Camber's choice of activities during the day seems more limited.

However, the area around Camber Sands is much more varied and interesting to go out and visit than at Southport. And the beach is much nicer. With a cafe. But then, sometimes it's winter at Camber so the beach is not much use.

The stairs at Camber are a pain. They are so steep! And there are no decent areas to sit around and chat, away from the dancing. The restaurant area at Southport, between the blues room and the main hall is very handy for this.

Single people can book a chalet on their own at Southport at no extra cost (I think). The cost is the same for everyone even if they are only sharing 2 to a chalet. To get the same price at Camber I think you have to share 4 or even 6 to a chalet - but please correct me if I'm wrong. Also, the discounted price offered at Southport to those who rebook before leaving makes it really good value (as well as being very astute business practice!)

I think it's 50/50 really. Probably Southport has slightly better facilities & value but my best ever weekender (so far) was Camber last November. Pure dance Nirvana! But that was just my luck with mood, atmosphere, partners, etc.!

Lynn
14th-September-2005, 12:56 PM
Can't comment as haven't been to Camber. If I go in November I can comment then!

Drathzel - if I go I will fly to Gatwick. I haven't travelled from there to Camber but I would think the trains would be fairly frequent.

Gill (Norwich)
14th-September-2005, 01:13 PM
Can't comment as haven't been to Camber. If I go in November I can comment then!

Drathzel - if I go I will fly to Gatwick. I haven't travelled from there to Camber but I would think the trains would be fairly frequent.
You could always do the same as I suggested to Drathzel, fly to Norwich and then travel by car with us. Her flights are £1.43 + taxes, yours are currently zilch + taxes. That's with www.flybe.com

WittyBird
14th-September-2005, 01:23 PM

I am taking the friday off work and have to pick someone up in Woking that day so if you do fly into Gatwick there is room in my car and would happily pick you up :grin:

Danger Mouse
14th-September-2005, 03:21 PM
However, the area around Camber Sands is much more varied and interesting to go out and visit than at Southport. And the beach is much nicer. With a cafe. But then, sometimes it's winter at Camber so the beach is not much use.

Errr! what? I guess your talking about the immediate vicinity around the holiday camps, which is fair enough I suppose although I would disagree.

However, if you want something to do between lessons at Southport, there’s a lovely nature walk around a small lake on the other side of the road to pontins holiday camp which is well worth a visit. A couple of miles away down the coast there is a rather large town offering all the amenities you would wish for at the seaside.

Camber on the other hand is a small 60’s seaside village that offers nothing other than a fish and chip shop.

Gojive
14th-September-2005, 03:54 PM

It certainly was, as of May this year David. You really need to be there by around 2pm on the Friday to stand half a chance of parking on site I'm afraid :sick:

stewart38
14th-September-2005, 03:59 PM
It certainly was, as of May this year David. You really need to be there by around 2pm on the Friday to stand half a chance of parking on site I'm afraid :sick:

southport says you cant check in now till 4pm , is that a typo im sure i checked in by 1pm last time :sad:

yes much easier to find a space a Southport even if it a mile from your accomadation

Liz
14th-September-2005, 04:25 PM
There as good as each other, tone stays at zero

Anyone got the 'magazine' of what the line up will be at camber yet :whistle:
Not quite sure what you mean by 'tone stays at zero'?
A big difference as far as I can see, apart from the friendly atmosphere at Southport, is the fact that they try to balance the men/women ratio as best they can! Being female, I'm grateful that consideration is given to balance and they do a very good job of it.

stewart38
14th-September-2005, 04:36 PM
Not quite sure what you mean by 'tone stays at zero'?
A big difference as far as I can see, apart from the friendly atmosphere at Southport, is the fact that they try to balance the men/women ratio as best they can! Being female, I'm grateful that consideration is given to balance and they do a very good job of it.

A thread about 2000 years ago did mention that this 'would come' up

I guess then there was a fear Francos would suffer clearly it hasnt. So far the increasing competition and new weekend venues as far as I know have all be filled

But when you say a big difference 'apart from the friendly atmosphere' could imply there is a non friendly atmosphere at camber (clearly there isnt) and it was this kind of thing that I was weary of. Facts and opinions become blurred

ps its a 'fact' there are more 'woodlice' at camber and sea gulls i think ??

ps I tend to find northern girls more friendly but thats just a total bias of the head with out merit opinion.

stewart38
14th-September-2005, 04:45 PM
However, if you want something to do between lessons at Southport, there’s a lovely nature walk around a small lake on the other side of the road to pontins holiday camp which is well worth a visit. A couple of miles away down the coast there is a rather large town offering all the amenities you would wish for at the seaside.

Camber on the other hand is a small 60’s seaside village that offers nothing other than a fish and chip shop.

At Camber a couple of miles away there is a place called Rye :whistle:
------------------------

Once surrounded by sea, this fortified hilltop town played an important role in the defence of the south coast of England. These days, the river no longer harbours warships and is home to the local fishing fleet.

Meandering for over one and a half miles from Rye to the coast, the river forms part of the picturesque scenery visible from several vantage points in and around the citadel of Rye.

----------------------------------

dee
14th-September-2005, 05:25 PM

But the beach is really lovely. If you travel into Rye there is a lovely little town which is where sis and i go and maybe shop and have lunch, there was also a lovely little dance shop we went to not sure if its still there as ive not been to camber for a while. Well worth the trip :flower:

Minnie M
14th-September-2005, 06:01 PM
It only takes me 1.5 hours to get to Camber and ALL DAY (5 hours driving + plus stoppages & sometimes road delays) to get to Southport (thus incurring much more costs) - however both good value for money :clap:

I rarely do the classes, so as a rule the teachers don't bother me - although I loved the classes by Jordan & Tat last June :worthy: at Southport.

Therefore the DJs rate higher for me and have to say although there are a few great DJs at Camber (Colin Shaul/Bob Gadget/Sheepy etc)

:clap: Southport :clap: has Dance Demon :worthy: and TWK :worthy: my two fav DJs - very different however, IMO the best :worthy: we have in the UK ...........

BTW John Ford (swinging bee) is pretty cool too :waycool:

(are you listening Colin - book them please !!!)

Accomodation is poo in both places, but I rate Camber better than Southport - The grounds at Camber are cleaner and the chalets are usually fully stocked, with working appliances etc.

More Camber points:-
The little village is lovely and quaint with cobbled stoned pavements and has some really nice shops and the beach area is lovely too, nice sandy beaches with tea shops very near by

More Southport Points
most have been said in previous posts, but for me it must be the addition of the Scottish lot :clap: :clap: wot a nice bunch they are AND they are all great dancers too :worthy:

Sheepman
14th-September-2005, 06:02 PM
Camber ... offers nothing other than a fish and chip shop. I shan't mention the fantastic bistro/restaurant then, it's hard enough to book a table as it is!

Stating the obvious, Camber is a lot easier to get to for us Southern jessies, but that does mean we miss out on the company of most of you Scots :tears: Parking seems to be much more difficult there, and there isn't that meeting place atmosphere that you get round the bar/restaurant area at Southport. I do prefer the blues room at Camber though, with its dimmed lights, and better dance floor. I don't want to know that the sun is up until I leave!

I do think the more even numbers at Southport helps the ladies to have a better time, which of course rubs off on us guys too.

Weighing up that long journey, overall I would say they are pretty much level pegging for me.

There again Camber this time around is likely to be very scary, due to a couple of dangerous sisters! :eek:

Greg

Mr Cool
14th-September-2005, 06:49 PM
A thread about 2000 years ago did mention that this 'would come' up

I guess then there was a fear Francos would suffer clearly it hasnt. So far the increasing competition and new weekend venues as far as I know have all be filled

But when you say a big difference 'apart from the friendly atmosphere' could imply there is a non friendly atmosphere at camber (clearly there isnt) and it was this kind of thing that I was weary of. Facts and opinions become blurred

ps its a 'fact' there are more 'woodlice' at camber and sea gulls i think ??

ps I tend to find northern girls more friendly but thats just a total bias of the head with out merit opinion.

Well i think that southport and camber are by far the best weekenders.
Eat your heart out rock bottoms. lots of freestyle and choice of music is where its at. 3 dance floors at southport wonderful . I think that southport has given Franco a wake up call there is nothing like a little competition to improve things.
Like minnie i am not to keen on workshops I crave lots of freestyle. Cambers blues room has always been superb but southport are a close second for me.
Cambers blues music has the edge but the fact that southport controls the sexes ratio is important and hopefully camber will follow suit.
Let them both go from strength to strength. I salute both. :waycool: :waycool: :waycool: :waycool:

dee
14th-September-2005, 09:34 PM
There again Camber this time around is likely to be very scary, due to a couple of dangerous sisters! :eek:

Greg

Oh no!!! hope it's not going to be too scary :innocent:

Yogi_Bear
14th-September-2005, 10:37 PM
Ignoring the dancing for a moment :really: and with a golfer's perspective:
At Camber you have suberb walks along the dunes and out across the beach, then back alongside Rye golf club;
At Southport you have superb walks along the dunes, across the beach, or along the Sefton Way which can take in the championship course of Royal Birkdale, and the quality course of Hillside, and Southport and Ainsdale. One stop down the train line from Ainsdale, Freshfield station isadjacent to the magnificent Formby golf club.
Southport has it, but Camber rates highly.

From Camber it's ahort trip into the picturesque Cinque Port of Rye...from Southport the town itself has its attractions...

under par
14th-September-2005, 11:11 PM
In the comparison stakes though I feel it is important to point out that Southport has 9 and Camber has 6.

Camber starts at the third and Southport starts at the 19th..

Both aspects of the comparison need a capital primary or else they lose their headings and in Camber's position it is nasty to become a strange orange light. :whistle:

Gojive
14th-September-2005, 11:56 PM
There again Camber this time around is likely to be very scary, due to a couple of dangerous sisters!

I'm sure there's nun' to be frightened of! :waycool:

Minnie M
15th-September-2005, 08:13 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Lory
15th-September-2005, 08:32 AM

I thought Camber started on the 11th and Southport on the 16th? :na:

under par
15th-September-2005, 08:33 AM
I thought Camber started on the 11th and Southport on the 16th? :na:

I can explain if you wish! :whistle:

Yogi_Bear
15th-September-2005, 08:37 AM
I can explain if you wish! :whistle:
I can hazard a guess...the 3rd green at Rye is the nearest green to the Camber venue
Southport - :cheers:

Yogi_Bear
15th-September-2005, 08:38 AM
Also worth observing that 'Camber' is actually at Camber Sands; 'Southport' is actually at Ainsdale, 3 miles or so south of Southport itself :na:

under par
15th-September-2005, 08:39 AM
I can hazard a guess...the 3rd green at Rye is the nearest green to the Camber venue
Southport - :cheers:

Sorry Yogi nowhere near........i can explain if you wish! :whistle:

Yogi_Bear
15th-September-2005, 08:39 AM
Sorry Yogi nowhere near........i can explain if you wish! :whistle:
please do! :blush:

under par
15th-September-2005, 08:45 AM
please do! :blush:

PM sent :flower:

Sheepman
15th-September-2005, 11:09 AM
i can explain if you wish! :whistle: There again Camber can play a part in many a month, whereas Southport is more useful if you plan to go abroad.

under par
15th-September-2005, 12:21 PM
There again Camber can play a part in many a month, whereas Southport is more useful if you plan to go abroad.

That is so, so true! :confused: :rofl:

Yogi_Bear
15th-September-2005, 12:28 PM
There again does Camber Sands have better anagrams, e.g.
'dancers' bams?' (a bam is a hoax)
than Southport, e.g.
'hots up? Rot!'
:rolleyes:
Sad, or what?

Lynn
15th-September-2005, 01:04 PM
You could always do the same as I suggested to Drathzel, fly to Norwich and then travel by car with us. Her flights are £1.43 + taxes, yours are currently zilch + taxes. That's with www.flybe.comThough I have noticed that Flybe taxes often total £39.98! Haven't checked those ones yet though. Will decide re Camber this weekend.

Missy D
15th-September-2005, 01:27 PM
I'm sure there's nun' to be frightened of! :waycool:

Hallelujah! we might just hang the halos up for a couple of days over that weekend :devil:

Gill (Norwich)
15th-September-2005, 01:31 PM
Hallelujah! we might just hang the halos up for a couple of days over that weekend :devil:
No bring them, you can use them as frisbees.

Missy D
15th-September-2005, 01:35 PM
No bring them, you can use them as frisbees.

Good idea! Think maybe i need to bring a bigger car what with the skipping ropes, the handcuffs and the spacehoppers (at this rate I wont be able to give Dee a lift. :rofl:

Also Dee does like her fresh vegetables :rofl:

Lory
15th-September-2005, 01:37 PM
There again does Camber Sands have better anagrams, e.g.
'dancers' bams?' (a bam is a hoax)
than Southport, e.g.
'hots up? Rot!'
:rolleyes:
Sad, or what?
Southport = Hut rot! ops :sick:

or

Hot pus rot :what: :rofl:

Camber sands = Crab madness! :really:

No winners here I'm afraid! :rofl:

DavidB
15th-September-2005, 02:02 PM
I find Camber & Southport very similar - especially in my reluctance to go back to either.

For me the 'weekenders' are just a Saturday night dance. I don't get enough holiday a year to waste 2 days of it to get to any dance weekend early on Friday and leave on Monday. By the time I've spent 3-4 hours getting to Camber, or 6+ hours getting to Southport, after work on Friday night, I don't feel like dancing. And like most people I have to leave on Sunday afternoon to get back home ready for work on Monday.

The social side is not all that good when you are teaching. Every 1 hour workshop also takes up to an hour to prepare, another half-hour afterwards answering questions, and up to an hour waiting for it to get videoed. Doing a cabaret as well would also involve rehersals, warm-ups and the performance itself. You rarely have the time to cook, so have to rely on the fast food that is available. The ability to dance until 6:00am doesn't mean that much when your body has given up at 2:00 because you have been on your feet all day.

The small room at Southport is almost unbearably hot on stage. Downstairs at Camber is not quite as bad. But both rooms are so dark that you just can't see what the class is doing, or how many people to rotate. And usually you don't know what, when or how many classes you are doing until very late. The allocation of the classes seems very haphazard. There are some headline teachers (eg Jordan & Tatiana) who are understandably given several workshop slots. But amongst the other teachers, some get 4 workshops, others get one. In the past, when teachers weren't paid anything, doing a single workshop was an advantage. But now you are paid per workshop, this can make a big difference.

Accomodation at both places is bad. Camber put the teachers in the 'best' chalets, but usually sharing 4 or 6. Southport is the other way round - you don't share, but you don't get good chalets. As teachers you don't get any say in your accomodation.

Ultimately the thought of spending 10 hours in the car, 2 uncomfortable nights in crappy accomodation that doesn't even have carpet on the floor, just to teach a beginners class does not appeal to me any more.

Bognor on the other hand has by far the best chalets, showers that don't cut out after 30 seconds, is less than 2 hours away, has plenty of parking, and a bar that does edible food reasonably quickly. It is just a shame it is in January!

And if I want to dance with all the Scots, it is far, far nicer to go to Scotland.

David
(looking forward to a nice relaxing weekend)

PS If you want some anagrams as ideas of new workshops:
Camber = Be Marc
Southport = Shop Tutor

Minnie M
15th-September-2005, 02:48 PM
some anagrams as ideas of new workshops:
Southport = Shop Tutor

soup troth
posh tutor

Lynn
15th-September-2005, 06:36 PM
Accomodation at both places is bad. Camber put the teachers in the 'best' chalets, but usually sharing 4 or 6. Southport is the other way round - you don't share, but you don't get good chalets. As teachers you don't get any say in your accomodation.

Ultimately the thought of spending 10 hours in the car, 2 uncomfortable nights in crappy accomodation that doesn't even have carpet on the floor, just to teach a beginners class does not appeal to me any more. You could always go as a regular punter and then enjoy the freestyle time like everyone else?

I don't think Southport had the option of 'better' chalets the first 2 times - the site was in the process of being upgraded from what I could see. Not sure though whether the variation in chalet standards would make any difference to teachers accomodation. Though personally I would prefer the extra space than having more luxury but 6 in a chalet.