PDA

View Full Version : whats the record number of ladies or men over

stewart38
13th-September-2005, 12:35 PM
If there are 65 extra ladies you teach a double trouble class. That'll keep the ladies amused, and probably make some of the guys rather happy too... :what: :tears: At Squins they tried this method during the ballroom part of the class - the result being that the more, um, self-assertive ladies always ended up with partners and the shy ones always without fail ended up on the side unable to practise it through. This is basically because the majority of the men just stood there waiting to be pounced on and told what to do. There has to be something Freudian behind that, I'm sure.

Given its only 3 days till southport and im beginning to feel poorly :wink:

Whats is the record re extra ladies over ?? and/or men

I went to windsor freebie (when they move back from their temp place in slough in 2003 or 2002 ?) must have been in beginners that nite 50 ladies over

Tango camber must have been 50 ladies over ? sorted that one out 'right everyone partner up the rest go home'

Back in the old days at gulidford use to be 20/30 women over all then time

Apart from windsor when you can still see sometimes over 20 extra , dont see often more then 20 ladies over apart from Camber of course

Bisley at night this year and camber had loads of ladies over.

was 10 + men over at fulham one nite . Also i think at windsor once was even numbers (300+ there)

Lynn
13th-September-2005, 12:45 PM
Given its only 3 days till southport and im beginning to feel poorly :wink:

Whats is the record re extra ladies over ?? and/or men

I went to windsor freebie (when they move back from their temp place in slough in 2003 or 2002 ?) must have been in beginners that nite 50 ladies over

Tango camber must have been 50 ladies over ? sorted that one out 'right everyone partner up the rest go home'

Back in the old days at gulidford use to be 20/30 women over all then time

Apart from windsor when you can still see sometimes over 20 extra , dont see often more then 20 ladies over apart from Camber of course

Bisley at night this year and camber had loads of ladies over.

was 10 + men over at fulham one nite . Also i think at windsor once was even numbers (300+ there) I remember at the first or second Southport there was one very large class with about 40 women over - the teacher put a line of 20 at each side and they rotated as far as two middle lines and then joined the queue again. (But since Southport started balancing numbers the 'over' ratio is lower in classes I did, one class had 7 men over, and one had about 11 women, AFAIR. )

bigdjiver
13th-September-2005, 01:21 PM
Class size should be a consideration. Perhaps the ratio of men to women might be more relevant. I heard of a flamenco class with 28 women and 1 guy.

Lynn
13th-September-2005, 01:23 PM
Class size should be a consideration. Perhaps the ratio of men to women might be more relevant. I heard of a flamenco class with 28 women and 1 guy. :yeah: 10 over in a class of 100 isn't too bad - 10 over in a class of 20 means you 'miss' half the class.

LMC
13th-September-2005, 01:24 PM
Class size should be a consideration. Perhaps the ratio of men to women might be more relevant.
:yeah:

I was once in a class where there were *exactly* twice as many women as men in the intermediate class - (about 30 men and 60 women) and Adam (cerocmetro) taught a double trouble class. I think that was the night I started getting over my "asking for a dance" fear... there's nothing like a little competition to focus the mind :na:

Zebra Woman
13th-September-2005, 01:29 PM
Class size should be a consideration. Perhaps the ratio of men to women might be more relevant. I heard of a flamenco class with 28 women and 1 guy.
:yeah: It's the ratio that counts.

My worst ever was 10 to 1. I was helping teach salsa at the Open University, it was a lunchtime freebie...

There were 150 women and 15 men :eek: . The women formed a horse shoe shape 3 layers deep, while the men were in a line against the stage. When everyone was asked to partner up - the 15 men visibly recoiled. :really:

Lynn
13th-September-2005, 01:30 PM
:yeah: It's the ratio that counts.

My worst ever was 10 to 1. I was helping teach salsa at the Open University, it was a lunchtime freebie...

There were 150 women and 15 men :eek: . The women formed a horse shoe shape 3 layers deep, while the men were in a line against the stage. When everyone was asked to partner up - the 15 men visibly recoiled. :really: :eek: I though salsa classes here were bad!

El Salsero Gringo
13th-September-2005, 01:30 PM
salsa at the Open UniversitySalsa by correspondence course? Now that's a cool idea!

Anyone for a Ceroc Style workshop - the distance-learning way?

Or we could do Musicality, online. (On, no wait, that's called the Ceroc Scotland Forum...)

Lynn
13th-September-2005, 01:36 PM
Anyone for a Ceroc Style workshop - the distance-learning way? Where do I sign up? :wink:

Or we could do Musicality, online. (On, no wait, that's called the Ceroc Scotland Forum...) :clap:

stewart38
13th-September-2005, 02:05 PM

:flower: for that man

ducasi
13th-September-2005, 02:08 PM
Salsa by correspondence course? Now that's a cool idea!

Anyone for a Ceroc Style workshop - the distance-learning way?

Or we could do Musicality, online. (On, no wait, that's called the Ceroc Scotland Forum...) I came to the conclusion at the Scottish Comps that I'd have done better if it'd been a phone-in competition. :blush:

El Salsero Gringo
13th-September-2005, 02:51 PM
Class size should be a consideration. Perhaps the ratio of men to women might be more relevant. I heard of a flamenco class with 28 women and 1 guy.It wasn't a flamenco class, and I'm sure I've got the video, somewhere.

bigdjiver
13th-September-2005, 04:03 PM
It wasn't a flamenco class, and I'm sure I've got the video, somewhere.Oh yes it was ... I had to pass it on my way upstairs to a writers workshop, and enquired where all the shapely young women were going (as one would ...)

Dreadful Scathe
14th-September-2005, 10:28 PM
I was at the Jive Bar in London once and there were 18 extra MEN.

I had to count that night. :)

Yogi_Bear
14th-September-2005, 10:40 PM
The worst turn out is probably one man (or woman)- yourself. No-one to dance with, or even to go for a drink with....better go home. The best turn out is probably one man and one woman - guarantees lots of personal attention from the teachers....and no rotation to worry about.

stewart38
25th-October-2005, 02:11 PM
I was at the Jive Bar in London once and there were 18 extra MEN.

I had to count that night. :)

i have to laugh , a few weeks ago there was all this talk about too many women over

Basic on a scientific study of one venue and 3 visits, now seems to be more men :tears:

Its better to have about 15% more women as not all women are dancing

Minnie M
25th-October-2005, 02:18 PM
A lot of classes have more men for the beginner classes and vise versa for the 2nd class

This is because the women seem to think that if they can follow they are not a beginner :rolleyes: half the time they don't even know how to follow - I know this for a fact as I often lead in classes. It is a shame that we can't have a kind of scoring system to allow new dancers to move up when ready.

I always to do the beginner class as a follower when there are too many men, it helps the new men both in the class and also gives them the confidence to ask to dance with me for practice in the freestyle - if more experienced ladies did that it might encourage more men to come dancing. :yeah: :flower:

Paul F
25th-October-2005, 02:21 PM
Take up WCS. We need more ladies :what:

And no, thats not a typo!:nice:

TiggsTours
25th-October-2005, 03:20 PM
Take up WCS. We need more ladies :what:

And no, thats not a typo!:nice:
Where!????

TiggsTours
25th-October-2005, 03:22 PM
I was in a class with 14 ladies and 2 guys once, luckily 3 of the ladies could lead, but it was a demonstration class at a busking place, so didn't really look too good.

stewart38
25th-October-2005, 03:40 PM
A lot of classes have more men for the beginner classes and vise versa for the 2nd class

This is because the women seem to think that if they can follow they are not a beginner :rolleyes: half the time they don't even know how to follow - I know this for a fact as I often lead in classes. It is a shame that we can't have a kind of scoring system to allow new dancers to move up when ready.

Nope this was in both classes :sad:

On a serious note it does make you wonder what you poor girls had to put up with

I sat out for two dances , i could have probably found ' a women ' if id walk far enough, but its a real eye opener :what:

I would hate to go to a weekender and have to sit out for dances because of a lack of women. Songs that I really want to dance to

I sat on fence re making weekenders more 50/50 now firmly in favour of it (well a few extra ladies never hurt but just a few !)

jockey
26th-October-2005, 07:18 PM
Belly dancing class at camber had about 4 men (including me) and about 60 women..

Minnie M
26th-October-2005, 09:30 PM
Belly dancing class at camber had about 4 men (including me) and about 60 women..
way to go Jack :cheers: :clap: :hug: :kiss: :yeah:

Yogi_Bear
27th-October-2005, 08:14 AM
Egyptian dance class at Southport had around 40 women and no men, which makes I guess an infinite number of women over. At least there was no partner dancing :whistle:
After watching from the back of the room for a while, purely in the interest of scientific research, I made an excuse and left :wink: