PDA

View Full Version : CEROC Dancers not welcome

horsey_dude
7th-January-2003, 05:47 AM
How do pubs/nightclubs react to having Cerocers where you are?

They don't seem to happy to see large numbers of people who drink mostly water and take up a lot of space on the dance floor and will do things like changing the music or having live bands to discourage us from dancing where I live.

Ronde!
7th-January-2003, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by horsey_dude
How do pubs/nightclubs react to having Cerocers where you are?
Most of our Wednesday night class goes out afterwards to one of two alternating venues. Neither venue seems to mind us; one is quite empty on a Wednesday night, and the other has even encouraged our patronage by giving us VIP cards. The dance floor *was* crowded, so they refurbished and made it twice as big. :)

However, I'm always very aware that we pose a potential hazard to other patrons on the dance floor. In particular, "copycat" syndrome (where untaught people try to copy Ceroc moves, including dips & drops) has the potential to cause serious injuries to intoxicated onlookers.

Siobhan (Forum Plant)
7th-January-2003, 12:07 PM
We all went to a club about a year agoand did ceroc, and loads of people came up enquiring about what we were doing, and saying they thought we looked fantastic! That was ages ago when we were beginners, so even simple moves must look impressive to some.

TheTramp
7th-January-2003, 02:43 PM
I dunno. I've danced on the beach, in parks, in my office, in the kitchen (usually while preparing food).

I think that while we're prepared to dance anywhere, we'd prefer the right conditions, music, right amount of spin on the floor, and the right music (ie. No Shania Twain :D).

Steve

Holly
7th-January-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
I've danced in my office, in the kitchen (usually while preparing food).

I do that too! :sorry Usually get funny looks in the office and burn the food in the kitchen though. :really: :sorry

Holly

Dr. Feelgood
7th-January-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by David Franklin

The only real exceptions I've seen to this have played nothing but popular covers, in which point you're left wondering why have a live band anyhowl. The band at Ceroc Hammersmith was in this category - most of the music was at least dancable.

Oh yes, and the drummer is usually too loud, and metronomic - so the band often has less expression than the original track did, and you wish you'd brought earplugs.

Dave

re point 1 you could equally say why play records when you could have a band playing the same material.

atmosphere wise, bands and audience/dancers tend to feed off each other creating more atmosphere.

re point 2 - a drummer is, to some extent, supposed to metronomic... and will usually have more expression than the original track simply cos the drummer in the band is human and a very, very large percentage of the drumming on modern , especially chart, music, has been played with a mouse or assembled from samples. As well as all the other instruments I might add.

:cheers:

MartinHarper
8th-September-2004, 04:36 PM
Bar Bamboo in Worcester has beengiving free entry to some local dance groups to promote their live music nights, including Ceroc Kidderminster... I assume that they want us there then. :)

Gordon J Pownall
8th-September-2004, 04:39 PM
(ie. No Shania Twain :D).

Steve

or The Mavericks...... :devil:

Andreas
8th-September-2004, 04:42 PM
No Shania Twain :D

Thank you! I always feel inspired to dance foxtrot when they play ST :rofl:

philsmove
8th-September-2004, 05:22 PM
As one of the local venues has to close early and we often go to the local tennis club later on for a pint :cheers: and a bop

The dance floor is very small and we normally spill over on to the carpet

But we are very welcome :waycool:

Sparkles
8th-September-2004, 05:27 PM
Thank you! I always feel inspired to dance foxtrot when they play ST :rofl:
How *ON EARTH* can you dance a foxtrot to Shania Twain?!
It's probably the least inspirational music to foxtrot to! ...Eddie back me up here, please!

TheTramp
8th-September-2004, 05:42 PM
How *ON EARTH* can you dance a foxtrot to Shania Twain?!!
He probably dances a New Zealand foxtrot.... :rolleyes:

Trampy

*wanders of muttering 'forward, forward, side/close, back, back, side/close, forward, forward...' to himself....*

Lory
8th-September-2004, 06:18 PM
It's probably the least inspirational music to foxtrot to! ...Eddie back me up here, please!
I don't even know what the fox-trot is :confused: is it the one when the dancers look like they're half running and half galloping?

Well, what ever THAT dance is called, it always reminds me of one of those big ostrich, dressing up costumes, where the man appears to be sitting on its back! :rofl:

Andreas
8th-September-2004, 06:48 PM
He probably dances a New Zealand foxtrot.... :rolleyes:

Trampy

*wanders of muttering 'forward, forward, side/close, back, back, side/close, forward, forward...' to himself....*

:rofl: :rofl:

you are living proof that it is not a New Zealand dance :rofl:

don't forget the quarter turns, will ya? ;)

Andreas
8th-September-2004, 06:49 PM

No, it actually has the perfect speed for a social foxtrot. not to be confused with the English or Slow Foxtrot ;)

Just listen to Trampy's count :rofl:

Andreas
8th-September-2004, 06:50 PM
I don't even know what the fox-trot is :confused: is it the one when the dancers look like they're half running and half galloping?

Well, what ever THAT dance is called, it always reminds me of one of those big ostrich, dressing up costumes, where the man appears to be sitting on its back! :rofl:

Nope, that would be Quickstep :wink:

DavidY
8th-September-2004, 06:54 PM
No, it actually has the perfect speed for a social foxtrot. not to be confused with the English or Slow Foxtrot ;) I guess it depends which Shania track you're foxtrotting too - which one did you have in mind (or did I miss it somewhere :blush: )?

Andreas
8th-September-2004, 09:49 PM
I guess it depends which Shania track you're foxtrotting too - which one did you have in mind (or did I miss it somewhere :blush: )?

Ladies' favourite 'Feeling like a woman' is only one example. They don't vary too much in speed to make it a big difference in Foxtrot.

Sal
9th-September-2004, 01:40 PM
I dunno. I've danced on the beach, in parks, in my office, in the kitchen (usually while preparing food).
Steve

5 months into my dancing career, and I could not spin very well at all. Got some very good advice to practise everywhere, but especially places with a surface at the right height to push yourself off. This has led to me spinning everywhere from work (I am a research scientist and work at a bench) to doing the dishes.

Great advice - does this mean I am plagerising by telling all my beginner women this?!? :blush:

Sparkles
9th-September-2004, 01:45 PM
5 months into my dancing career, and I could not spin very well at all. Got some very good advice to practise everywhere, but especially places with a surface at the right height to push yourself off. This has led to me spinning everywhere from work (I am a research scientist and work at a bench) to doing the dishes.

Last night I advised a beginner who was having trouble spinning to practice using the towel-rail in her bathroom... that's were I used to practice :blush:

philsmove
9th-September-2004, 04:49 PM
A chap in Bristol claimed to have worn a hole in his bedroom carpet practicing spins in front of the wardrobe mirror

opps i think we are off topic

Gojive
9th-September-2004, 04:55 PM
A chap in Bristol claimed to have worn a hole in his bedroom carpet practicing spins in front of the wardrobe mirror

Is that known as "Carpet Turns" ? :waycool: