PDA

View Full Version : Ahhh,back Problems + Southport Looms!

Cornish Pixie
12th-September-2005, 02:52 PM
Iv been having pains in my back recently ever since i slept on the floor at someones house in an awkward position. Its like the feeling you get when you've been working on your feet all day and you feel knackered,but i get it all the time!Does anyone have any urguent advice that could be implemented quickly as off to southport on thur! :tears: :tears:

wurlitzer

drathzel
12th-September-2005, 02:59 PM
rest lots and have lots of nice hot baths to help the muscles relax and unwind themselves! :hug:

ElaineB
12th-September-2005, 03:37 PM
Yes, get to see a chiropractor - if it is something to do with your spine or pelvis, the quicker you get there, the better. In this case, they will tell you NOT to take hot baths, you will need to apply ice!

Whatever, get a professional opionion and quick!

Best of luck

Elaine

drathzel
12th-September-2005, 03:40 PM
In this case, they will tell you NOT to take hot baths, you will need to apply ice!

Really? When i injured my back during a car accident i was told to use hot water bottles and take hot baths! But then again that was pulled muscles and i did go to my doctor about it!

:hug:

Little Monkey
12th-September-2005, 03:57 PM
Don't put on ice-packs, and don't put on hot water bottles!

Until you know exactly why your back is hurting, you might make matters worse if you apply heat or ice!!

Go see your GP, or a chiropractor. If it's just muscular, a massage and very gentle stretching might be what you need, together with painkillers or anti-inflamatories. But until you know exactly what's wrong with your back, don't start doing all sorts of things to it, as it might make matters worse!

Oh dear, I seem to be repeating myself.

Go see a doctor. And good luck! And come and dance with me in Southport! I'm packing lots of strong painkillers and a hot water bottle for my own back, so I'll have lots of sympathy for you! :hug:

LM

ElaineB
12th-September-2005, 04:43 PM
Don't put on ice-packs, and don't put on hot water bottles!

Until you know exactly why your back is hurting, you might make matters worse if you apply heat or ice!!

Go see your GP, or a chiropractor. If it's just muscular, a massage and very gentle stretching might be what you need, together with painkillers or anti-inflamatories. But until you know exactly what's wrong with your back, don't start doing all sorts of things to it, as it might make matters worse!

Oh dear, I seem to be repeating myself.

Go see a doctor. And good luck! And come and dance with me in Southport! I'm packing lots of strong painkillers and a hot water bottle for my own back, so I'll have lots of sympathy for you! :hug:

LM

Agreed LM - I did in fact say 'they will tell you NOT to take hot baths, you will need to apply ice!' Sorry if I didn't make it clearer!!! :flower:

The important thing is to get professional advise, as we well meaning mortals can get it wrong!

Drathzel - glad the hot water baths worked in your case and I hope your back doesn't go again!

As a rule of thumb, ice is used to take down inflamation (you may not see the inflamation though!) and heat is applied where the blood supply is needed to be directed to the affected area.

Elaine

drathzel
12th-September-2005, 04:48 PM
Drathzel - glad the hot water baths worked in your case and I hope your back doesn't go again!

I hope so too! altho i was practicing a move the other day that involves me bending back and taking my own weight, woke up the next day was sitting at work and i couldnt figure out why my back was sore...oops! Must still take it easy altho it was 4 years ago but they say it takes years before you are completely healed!!

:flower:

Little Monkey
12th-September-2005, 05:13 PM
I hope so too! altho i was practicing a move the other day that involves me bending back and taking my own weight, woke up the next day was sitting at work and i couldnt figure out why my back was sore...oops! Must still take it easy altho it was 4 years ago but they say it takes years before you are completely healed!!

:flower:

Be careful, sweetie! :hug:

I'm planning on drugging myself up to the eyeballs on painkillers when we're driving to Southport, and just curl up in the back/passenger seat, as my back doesn't like long car journeys much. Have had a lot of bother with pain in my back and legs again, and am waiting to hear when I'll get my MRI scan.... Hope it's soon!

Definitely avoiding any aerials workshops, or any moves that involve bending my back too much this weekend....

LM :flower:

Chicklet
12th-September-2005, 05:18 PM
just back from the chiropractor and am actually, honestly, just today starting to feel an improvement *everyone touch some wood*.

After being mis-diagnosed by GP and then "treated" for completely the wrong thing at great expense :mad: by physio, I'd have to say go for the chiropractor....treatment can be er violent but have to say, especially in the short time to go it's probably the place most likely to help.

agree with the no heat thing!! ice for inflamation, but careful not to leave it on too long and suffer burn. 10 - 15 mins at a time.

good luck!
C

JoC
12th-September-2005, 05:31 PM
I'd have to say go for the chiropractor....treatment can be er violent but have to say, especially in the short time to go it's probably the place most likely to help.
:yeah: I always go to my chiropractor before my GP where my back is concerned now.

(But depending on the nature and extent of pain, I might also go to a good massage therapist first.)

ElaineB
12th-September-2005, 06:28 PM
just back from the chiropractor and am actually, honestly, just today starting to feel an improvement *everyone touch some wood*.

After being mis-diagnosed by GP and then "treated" for completely the wrong thing at great expense :mad: by physio, I'd have to say go for the chiropractor....treatment can be er violent but have to say, especially in the short time to go it's probably the place most likely to help.

agree with the no heat thing!! ice for inflamation, but careful not to leave it on too long and suffer burn. 10 - 15 mins at a time.

good luck!
C

Having been flat on my back the Tuesday before the Scottish comp., I have told my chiropractor that she has 'God' like status, as she managed to not only get me up and operating again, but managed to get me fit enough to compete! :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Violent treatment? :rofl: Yup, I would agree that it appears that way, but it doesn't hurt - every time I have been 'whacked' back into place, all I have felt is relief!!

Fingers crossed for you all!! (but not legs, coz, that would be bad for backs :wink: )

Elaine

Lynn
12th-September-2005, 07:45 PM
I've also suffered from a sore back sporadically (though linked to some riding falls) so can sympathise. Hope it recovers sufficiently by the weekend for you to enjoy plenty of dancing. :hug:

Mr Cool
12th-September-2005, 08:59 PM
Agreed LM - I did in fact say 'they will tell you NOT to take hot baths, you will need to apply ice!' Sorry if I didn't make it clearer!!! :flower:

The important thing is to get professional advise, as we well meaning mortals can get it wrong!

As a rule of thumb, ice is used to take down inflamation (you may not see the inflamation though!) and heat is applied where the blood supply is needed to be directed to the affected area.

Elaine

Hi Elaine as sombody who has suffered with back pain all my life having indulged in contact and strength sports before taking up dancing.
I have seen many self proclaimed experts, I take a great interest in the subject (needs must) I now believe there are no experts and a very high percentage of charletons involved in back pain.
I have learned how too keep the facet joints of the back supple using simple streching exercises, a healthy back is one that moves properly. I have also learned to take anti inflamitories as soon as i feel any pain Voltorol works for me I also know for me ice does not work on my back and that a hot bath does theory does not always work in practice.
I would be interested to know how many people have been cured by a single manipulation session. :waycool: :waycool: :waycool: :waycool:

ElaineB
12th-September-2005, 09:29 PM
Hi Elaine as sombody who has suffered with back pain all my life having indulged in contact and strength sports before taking up dancing.
I have seen many self proclaimed experts, I take a great interest in the subject (needs must) I now believe there are no experts and a very high percentage of charletons involved in back pain.
I have learned how too keep the facet joints of the back supple using simple streching exercises, a healthy back is one that moves properly. I have also learned to take anti inflamitories as soon as i feel any pain Voltorol works for me I also know for me ice does not work on my back and that a hot bath does theory does not always work in practice.
I would be interested to know how many people have been cured by a single manipulation session. :waycool: :waycool: :waycool: :waycool:

Well, you would never know yo had a back problem by the way you move!!! :worthy:

My problem area is the pelvis - not the spine. Basically, the pelvis just rotated out and jammed, so it would only 'unjam' through 'violent' manipulation, in the form of a well aimed manoevure by the chiro. :what: Also, ice definately eases the pain - as for anti inflamitories - only took those at the Scottish comp!

Elaine