PDA

View Full Version : Test match

stewart38
12th-September-2005, 12:18 PM
whats going on I got no nails left ??

LMC
12th-September-2005, 12:22 PM
119 for 4 according to BBC sport (ball by ball update)

No, I'm not keeping track of it on purpose, but the two guys next to me are obsessed. Since the other girl in our department is Aussie there might be a bloodbath later...

CJ
12th-September-2005, 12:23 PM
whats going on I got no nails left ??

Ch4 updates not very good... Not in front of a tv right now :sick:

stewart38
12th-September-2005, 12:27 PM
126 for 5 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TiggsTours
12th-September-2005, 12:28 PM
According to the BBC's website, its 126-5, I really wouldn't have a clue what that means though.

stewart38
12th-September-2005, 12:33 PM
According to the BBC's website, its 126-5, I really wouldn't have a clue what that means though.

If we dont win the ashes it means the end of the world

No more 25 pages of cricket coverage in the Daily Mail (whats happen to New Orleans ??)

No more £25,000 to rent a place to look at lords

God football will be back on the back pages and like rugby ,cricket will go back a few pages where it deserves to be

It means if we dont get the ashes, cricket will be played by a few elderly gentlemen on sunday on greens around the country to keep the crows of the lawn :whistle:

CJ
12th-September-2005, 12:42 PM
(whats happen to New Orleans ??)

Did you know that last week, 2 planeloads of Volunteers from Liverpool were sent over to help with the looting...

:blush:

mooncalf
12th-September-2005, 12:54 PM

No more 25 pages of cricket coverage in the Daily Mail (whats happen to New Orleans ??)

God football will be back on the back pages and like rugby ,cricket will go back a few pages where it deserves to be

It means if we dont get the ashes, cricket will be played by a few elderly gentlemen on sunday on greens around the country to keep the crows of the lawn :whistle:

All civilisations that don't play cricket end up collapsing. Look at the history books. The ancient Egyptians, the Aztecs, the Roman empire. None of them played cricket and where are they now? It is really that important. The best place for updates is www.cricinfo.com.

TiggsTours
12th-September-2005, 01:31 PM

God, I know that!

What I don't know is, is 126-5 good? Does it mean we're winning or losing?

I hate cricket, and haven't got a clue what the scoring system is.

Gill (Norwich)
12th-September-2005, 01:37 PM
All I know is that there isn't much work going on in my male populated office today :whistle: Never seen them so agitated :rofl:

David Bailey
12th-September-2005, 01:49 PM
What I don't know is, is 126-5 good? Does it mean we're winning or losing?

I hate cricket, and haven't got a clue what the scoring system is.
171-5 now - which is better than 126-5. (i.e. for the two of us who still don't understand cricket, England have scored 171 runs, and lost 5 wickets.)

Don't ask me to explain overs, etc. - or even how two sides can have a draw with 2 different scores... :confused:

TiggsTours
12th-September-2005, 01:55 PM
171-5 now - which is better than 126-5. (i.e. for the two of us who still don't understand cricket, England have scored 171 runs, and lost 5 wickets.)

Don't ask me to explain overs, etc. - or even how two sides can have a draw with 2 different scores... :confused:
Thank you, I'd like to say I understand now, but I'd be lying. :what:

stewart38
12th-September-2005, 01:58 PM

This would not be better for Australia

cricket is a a game of ins and outs

Gojive
12th-September-2005, 02:03 PM
Thank you, I'd like to say I understand now, but I'd be lying. :what:

Don't worry, the scoring system has me stumped too ;)

TiggsTours
12th-September-2005, 02:07 PM
Don't worry, the scoring system has me stumped too ;)
Drole, very drole. :rofl:

CJ
12th-September-2005, 03:13 PM
what's happening now?!?!!?!????????????????????/

stewart38
12th-September-2005, 03:14 PM
227 for 7

TiggsTours
12th-September-2005, 03:19 PM
227 for 7
I've just had it explained to me that, all we have to do is hang on for as long as possible, and not be out when Australia go in to bat (surely then, if we just hang on all day, Australia won't get to bat??) because then Australia won't get time to score as many runs as us, and we win. However, if they do score more runs, they win this, because they won the last one.

Is that right? Do I finally understand?

Groovy Dancer
12th-September-2005, 03:22 PM
I've just had it explained to me that, all we have to do is hang on for as long as possible, and not be out when Australia go in to bat (surely then, if we just hang on all day, Australia won't get to bat??) because then Australia won't get time to score as many runs as us, and we win. However, if they do score more runs, they win this, because they won the last one.

You are getting it :clap:

CJ
12th-September-2005, 03:24 PM
227 for 7

227 with MAX 3 hrs: ashes must be safe by now, yes??

Thanks for info!! :cheers:

stewart38
12th-September-2005, 03:24 PM

yep its that easy

If they draw the series they win :grin:

TiggsTours
12th-September-2005, 03:29 PM
yep its that easy

If they draw the series they win :grin:
But, how is that a draw?

Football's easy, 0-0 = draw, 1-1 = draw, 1 - 0 = win (or lose, depending which side you're on.)

Cricket? :sick: :sick: :sick:

England 227-7, so surely Australia 227-7 is a draw! But highly unlikely!

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! :sick: :sick: :sick:

I think I might just not look at this thread anymore, its far too much confusion for a Monday!

Lou
12th-September-2005, 03:39 PM
Surely that would be a tie? :confused:

stewart38
12th-September-2005, 03:45 PM

No thats an England win !! we got more runs in the first innings, its so easy :whistle:

If Aust win this final test match they retain the ashes

2 wins each and a draw allows them to keep the ashes

Gojive
12th-September-2005, 03:55 PM
So if the scores are tied, it's a win for England. If Australia win though, it's a draw, unless it becomes an England win. However, if England win, then Australia can't draw, unless they draw on wins, in which case their draw would result in either an England win or draw, depending on the final final final final, this time it's the very last time, result. If that's a tie, but they've both won their respective ins and outs, then Australia won't draw or lose. But........is there a but?

I think I have it sussed now :)

So will it go to extra time then penalties? :eek:

stewart38
12th-September-2005, 04:12 PM
So if the scores are tied, it's a win for England. If Australia win though, it's a draw, unless it becomes an England win. However, if England win, then Australia can't draw, unless they draw on wins, in which case their draw would result in either an England win or draw, depending on the final final final final, this time it's the very last time, result. If that's a tie, but they've both won their respective ins and outs, then Australia won't draw or lose. But........is there a but?

I think I have it sussed now :)

So will it go to extra time then penalties? :eek:

Thats right if Australia draw on wins they win, the other result being a draw. Its that simple

WittyBird
12th-September-2005, 04:27 PM
Thats right if Australia draw on wins they win, the other result being a draw. Its that simple

England lead by 264 runs with 3 wickets remaining

Minimum overs remaining today: 39.0

Run Rate if Aussies get in now: 6.79 ie over a run a ball :grin: