PDA

View Full Version : Petrol crises

stewart38
12th-September-2005, 09:24 AM
Once again I see people queueing for petrol in the West Country and I'm sure its spreading everywhere with panic buying

I hope people have enough in their tanks to get to Southport and back :sick:

The government should just knock 5p of a litre with the money they have made off oil recently !

TiggsTours
12th-September-2005, 10:51 AM
Once again I see people queueing for petrol in the West Country and I'm sure its spreading everywhere with panic buying

I hope people have enough in their tanks to get to Southport and back :sick:

The government should just knock 5p of a litre with the money they have made off oil recently !
The main protests start on Wednesday, and last till Friday. If I was going to Southport this weekend (which I'm not :sad: ) I'd be getting the train!

If you haven't filled up yet, make sure you do it tomorrow at the latest!

Minnie M
12th-September-2005, 05:54 PM
I filled up this morning - there was a large queue and there were about 4 pumps out of action :tears:

Tiggs has a point, my tank is really small, I had to fill up twice last in June :what: Even if you fill up before you go, you will need (depending where you are driving from that is) a second refill to get you back, not a bad idead to fill big can too :really:

WittyBird
12th-September-2005, 05:58 PM
check this out if your unsure

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4236676.stm

stewart38
13th-September-2005, 12:00 AM
I just queued at tesco 11.45pm not a big queue

Damien
13th-September-2005, 08:21 AM
My tank was virtually empty so had to refill. Waited 25 mins. What really annoyed me was a white van with the back door open, the driver was filling up a huge drum. I'm sure that can't be legal or very safe. I was very angry - I hate white vans at the best of times. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

El Salsero Gringo
13th-September-2005, 09:08 AM
My tank was virtually empty so had to refill. Waited 25 mins. What really annoyed me was a white van with the back door open, the driver was filling up a huge drum. I'm sure that can't be legal or very safe. I was very angry - I hate white vans at the best of times. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:They'd probably be breach of the Petroleum Spirit (Motor Vehicles etc) Regulations 1929 and Petroleum Spirit (Plastic Containers) Regulations 1982; the largest plastic container you can use is 5 litres, and the largest metal one is 5 gallons (23 litres), I believe. There's also a limit to how much fuel you can store without a license.

Damien
13th-September-2005, 09:16 AM
I guess I could have taken the number and reported it to someone - police etc but no doubt they have better things to do. Couldn't help but think that in a collision the resulting explosion would have taken out half a street.

Think we'll see more of this kind of illegal activity if the petrol 'crisis' deepens.

TiggsTours
13th-September-2005, 09:22 AM
[QUOTE=Damien]Couldn't help but think that in a collision the resulting explosion would have taken out half a street.
QUOTE]
Exactly why this is illegal!

carolinemcewan
13th-September-2005, 11:32 AM
There's petrolium spirit regulations as to how much you can buy? wow... :confused:

El Salsero Gringo
13th-September-2005, 11:36 AM
There's petrolium spirit regulations as to how much you can buy? wow... :confused:No, but there are regulations as to how much you can store in domestic premises, without a licence - and what you keep it in. It's not really fair on the fire brigade if they turn up to a house fire and discover that the occupier's sitting on 40 tonnes of petroleum in the basement, all of it stored in milk-bottles, with cling-film for lids. And it's not very nice for the neighbours either!

carolinemcewan
13th-September-2005, 11:46 AM
No, but there are regulations as to how much you can store in domestic premises, without a licence - and what you keep it in. It's not really fair on the fire brigade if they turn up to a house fire and discover that the occupier's sitting on 40 tonnes of petroleum in the basement, all of it stored in milk-bottles, with cling-film for lids. And it's not very nice for the neighbours either!

oh never thought of that, at least i know now :innocent:

Dreadful Scathe
13th-September-2005, 01:45 PM
No, but there are regulations as to how much you can store in domestic premises, without a licence - and what you keep it in. It's not really fair on the fire brigade if they turn up to a house fire and discover that the occupier's sitting on 40 tonnes of petroleum in the basement, all of it stored in milk-bottles, with cling-film for lids. And it's not very nice for the neighbours either!
If that were the case I think the police may well have reason to believe the occupier was going to use them for nefarious purposes as they are clearly individual explosive devices and/or he/she is very stupid :)

El Salsero Gringo
13th-September-2005, 02:16 PM
If that were the case I think the police may well have reason to believe the occupier was going to use them for nefarious purposes as they are clearly individual explosive devices and/or he/she is very stupid :)Darn. I suppose it was the pile of small pieces of rag that gave it away. It's a fair cop - I'll come quietly.

Stuart
13th-September-2005, 04:50 PM

I seem to remember that something like this did happen during the last crisis. Somebody stockpiled a load of petrol and it all leaked causing an entire street to be evacuated.

DavidY
13th-September-2005, 05:05 PM
I seem to remember that something like this did happen during the last crisis. Somebody stockpiled a load of petrol and it all leaked causing an entire street to be evacuated.Yes - not too many miles from where I live. :eek: