PDA

View Full Version : Maddening problem trying to configure Buffalo broadband / wireless router

Clive Long
11th-September-2005, 01:08 PM
Hi,

Problem trying to connect to an ADSL / wireless router in order to configure it for wireless use and broadband connectivity.

Network device is a Buffalo WMR-G54

Can anyone give me an insight on what to try here (See below)? I have posted on microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless but not received anything useful back.

My only guess is that the pre-installed Noton Internet security which is not yet activated (needs internet connection - gotcha) is blocking outbound IP connectivity - which seems mad but is the only idea I am left with

"Obvious" suggestions on what to try are most welcome.

Thanks

Clive
Hi,

This is such a basic problem - but I can't get past it.

A friend has bought a Bufallo WMR-G54 and I am trying to configure
it.

The configuring PC has both UTP LAN and inbuilt 802.11g wireless.

Now when I powered up the PC and the Bufallo and connected the
Bufallo via UTP cable to the PC I was able to follow the Quick setup
instructions.

I connected the PC to the router on the given address 192.168.1.1 and
signed on through Internet Explorer with the default router userid:
admin/admin.

Running ipconfig on the PC I found that the PC UTP NIC had been
assigned the IP address 192.168.1.2 by DHCP in the router.

So I started the configuration of the ADSL userid and password. I
entered the ADSL parameters in the Bufallo. Then after about 10 seconds
the session between the PC and the router disconnected. IE showed a
"Server not found" message.

I tried to reconnect the PC IE to address 192.168.1.1. but still got
"server not found".

I tried ping 192.168.1.1 from the PC and got no response (ping
timeout).

I powered down and up both PC and router. Result no ping nor IE connection PC to
router.

I set a fixed IP Address of 192.168.1.5 on the PC and restarted both PC and router
devices - no PING response from address 192.168.1.1 and no IE
connection on 192.168.1.1 to the router. The UTP connections are physically OK because I can see the port lights on both the PC socket and the router.

I pressed the reset button on the router - still no connectivity PC to router.

Win XP firewall is OFF on the attached PC. I have tried disabling the wireless interface on the PC so the only connection is PC to router - still cannot connect nor get ping response from PC to router (192.168.1.1)

I connected a SECOND PC to the router using UTP with fixed IP Address 192.168.1.10. The two PCs on 1.5 and 1.10 can ping their own and each other's IP Address. So the
"hub" functionality of the Bufallo is working between devices on the
same subnet.

The problem is like the router has taken on a completely DIFFERENT IP
address to the default 192.168.1.1 and is no longer on the same subnet,
192.168.1.x, as the PCs.

How do I find out the router's current IP Address? How do I configure
the Bufallo router from the PC?

Thanks

Clive

El Salsero Gringo
11th-September-2005, 02:30 PM
Hi,

{snip}

How do I find out the router's current IP Address? How do I configure
the Bufallo router from the PC?

Thanks

Clive
Unplug the router from the ADSL line.
switch off the second PC.
disable the wireless adapter in the PC.

Set the pc's UTP port to "obtain an IP address automatically"

restart the router

open a cmd window on the pc and type "ipconfig /renew" (alternatively reboot it if you prefer)

See if you are assigned an IP address by the router - which will a) be proof the thing hasn't gone FUCT and b) give you an idea of what it thinks its own IP address is.

If that doesn't work, see if there's a reset port, or a "global nuclear reset to factory settings" for the router.

Don't bother about the ADSL line until you can get at least as far as getting an IP address from the router; ditto don't bother with the wireless.

Post again if there's any progress.

Clive Long
11th-September-2005, 02:58 PM
Unplug the router from the ADSL line.
switch off the second PC.
disable the wireless adapter in the PC.

Yep did that - just using UTP - removed wireless from the equation

Set the pc's UTP port to "obtain an IP address automatically"
Well maybe - I tried both static IP address allocation and DHCP on the PC.
Same behaviour i.e. cannot ping nor http to router.
Maybe the router is setup to not respond to ICMP on the LAN side? Seems possible but unnecessary.

restart the router
Yep, yep, done several times

open a cmd window on the pc and type "ipconfig /renew" (alternatively reboot it if you prefer)
OK - will try that by setting XP to get IP from the "router" (I hate the abuse of that word) DHCP

See if you are assigned an IP address by the router - which will a) be proof the thing hasn't gone FUCT and b) give you an idea of what it thinks its own IP address is.
Now this is a bit interesting - when PC is rebooted, and look at ipconfig - she sees that XP wireless i/face has been assigned address 192.168.1.2 - which makes me feel that the PC is reaching the router and also getting an IP Address via DHCP - if only on the wireless interface.

However, the router doesn't respond to PING nor IE opening http://192.168.1.1 from the PC - that's the blocker.

I read that Symantec NIS - and the wonderful XP firewall can get in the way of outbound pings from the PC so she has uninstalled NIS for now (we'll reinstall NIS once the router is configured and connected on ADSL). We have switched off the XP firewall for now.

She will probably eventually run with firewall on the router.

If that doesn't work, see if there's a reset port, or a "global nuclear reset to factory settings" for the router.
Yep, done that a couple of times - using the instructions exactly as it said on the tin - during this sorry tale.

Don't bother about the ADSL line until you can get at least as far as getting an IP address from the router; ditto don't bother with the wireless.
Agreed, agreed. Step 1 is to connect PC to router over UTP. We are stuck at step 1.

There is the option to connect PC to router over USB - but you need a specific driver for that - how do you get it? That's right - download from their Website. That would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic.

Never had this with my Netgear.

Post again if there's any progress.
Unfortunately none.
My friend wants to phone Dell. I said yes - but be prepared to lose a day of her life as they read the standard scripts then say then problem is with the Buffalo - cue finger-pointing.

Hmmmmmmmmm ...... :confused:

El Salsero Gringo
11th-September-2005, 03:02 PM
{snip}Right:

if you're correctly picking up an IP address via DHCP, the router's processor is still functioning, and executing its code.

Turn off XP's firewall for confidence (although it doesn't interfere with outgoing pings) and ping the router on 192.168.1.1

then open a cmd box and examine the contents of your arp cache ("arp -a")

If you have an entry in there for the router's MAC address then that's good. Either way, post again.

Don't bother calling DELL; it's unlikely to help this side of midnight.

EDIT: I couldn't tell from your last post: with the wireless switched off, was the PC being assigned an IP address on the UTP port?

Clive Long
11th-September-2005, 03:05 PM
Right:

if you're correctly picking up an IP address via DHCP, the router's processor is still functioning, and executing its code.

Turn off XP's firewall for confidence (although it doesn't interfere with outgoing pings) and ping the router on 192.168.1.1

then open a cmd box and examine the contents of your arp cache ("arp -a")

If you have an entry in there for the router's MAC address then that's good. Either way, post again.

Don't bother calling DELL; it's unlikely to help this side of midnight.
As above - XP firewall is off - agree default firewall rules should not block outbound ICMP from PC - clutching at straws here

Yep. I think when she looked at the arp cache she had the IP and MAC address of the router 192.168.1.1 - weird.

I'll ask her to check though

Maybe the mini Web server on the router is b*ggered?

CRL

Clive Long
11th-September-2005, 03:23 PM
... also - what wireless / ADSL / firewall combos are people using successfully?

I suggested NetGear or D-Link

The guy in the shop sold her this Bufallo thing :rolleyes:

Well, I have never got a PC-related thing to work without hours of frustration and incomprehension. :(

Clive

Dreadful Scathe
11th-September-2005, 03:28 PM
Maybe the mini Web server on the router is b*ggered?

If a hard reset doesn't fix the router and give you access to web page on 192.168.1.1 again go to the Buffalo websit, download a bios update and flash it. If that doesnt fix it, its buggered :)

Clive Long
11th-September-2005, 03:37 PM
If a hard reset doesn't fix the router and give you access to web page on 192.168.1.1 again go to the Buffalo websit, download a bios update and flash it. If that doesnt fix it, its buggered :)
Yep - I'll download the USB driver and the latest BIOS - burn them to CD - and try those.

I will probably need the USB connection because there isn't another way to load the router :)

I'll post update.

CRL

Clive Long
13th-September-2005, 03:03 PM
Yep - I'll download the USB driver and the latest BIOS - burn them to CD - and try those.

I will probably need the USB connection because there isn't another way to load the router :)

I'll post update.

CRL
End of this sorry tale

Friend took Buffalo back to shop - they sent her away with a pat on her head and didn't even listen to the faults and tests I had dictated - RED RAG - after much phone bullying from me they agreed to test the bugger

"Ooh, err, how strange! Never seen that behaviour before sir."

Turned out that with the latest firmware (DS :worthy: ) it was as good as gold - but you needed a USB cable - special driver - blah, blah.

Anyway - swapped for 3com jobby. ADSL signed on , wireless OK - good signal in rest of the hoose, now got to set up WAP/WEP/WPA (or whatever is this month's flavour of encryption).

One relieved punter.

Moral - don't be patronised by the spotty youths at the local computer shop - well at least they understood what I was saying when they started listening.

Moral2 - should'a bought a Mac?

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions.

Clive

azande
13th-September-2005, 03:07 PM
Moral2 - should'a bought a Mac?
.................. :rofl:

Robin
14th-September-2005, 01:26 AM
Anyway - swapped for 3com jobby. ADSL signed on , wireless OK - good signal in rest of the hoose, now got to set up WAP/WEP/WPA (or whatever is this month's flavour of encryption).

Clive

Word of advice to any reading here . WEP/WPA is *not* secure. I suggest (if you are this bothered about security etc) to ensure that VPN over wireless is probably far more secure option if your router supports it.

ducasi
14th-September-2005, 07:44 AM
Word of advice to any reading here . WEP/WPA is *not* secure. I suggest (if you are this bothered about security etc) to ensure that VPN over wireless is probably far more secure option if your router supports it.
I'd say that for the typical home user, WPA provides good enough security. In fact, WEP is also enough to stop most miscreants.

Obviously though, the more secure the better. :nice: