PDA

View Full Version : Dancing in Amsterdam

Bangers & Mash
7th-September-2005, 09:56 PM
Awesome. Amazing. Friendly and Fun.

It's like being back in Scotland all over again.

:clap:

It's taken me nearly 10 months since moving over here to pluck up the courage and find the resources :whistle: to join the Amsterdam rock n roll dance scene but - wow!

So. Why did it take so long and why did it need courage. :confused:

Firstly, nearly every dance organisation says you need to bring a dance partner and that means you need to first meet a girl outside the dance scene and then persuade her to come dancing - no mean feat, but I finally found a choice of 2. :innocent:

Secondly, the dance class is taught in Dutch. :confused: And if anybody has ever learned to speak dutch, they will appreciate why the British came up with the phrase "double dutch" to describe something that makes absolutely no sense at all.

As it turned out, both the girls I had met were busy and so I called and asked if I needed a partner and was told - come on your own. we have too many girls :clap: :clap: :clap:

On arriving (by pushbike) I was greeted by the dance instructor and co-ordinator who asked me if I understood any dutch. I then grabbed a dance with the teacher on the empty dance floor and finally decided to try the beginners class and then try the advanced class. both classes were an hour long with freestyle in between.

All the moves were familiar from ceroc and salsa, but with different names. Dutch names. But after an hour even I began to learn and repeat the names (even if I can't spell them).

Everybody I danced with was really friendly. No "ceroc snobs" and actually a fascination with the differences between their own style and ceroc - so a great opportunity for me to try both. :waycool:

As with ceroc, this is as much a social event as it is a dance event and people mingle, chat and drink before, during and after the classes and are more than happy to talk in English. The group also travels all over the world to dance events, including a one month dance event in sweden starting in the autumn. They have already expressed an keen to visit Britain and check out the dance scene - so Franck / johnah , don't be suprised if you get an email asking for 20 or 30 tickets to one of your events in the near future.

For the British guys over there - the dutch girls are all blonde and beautiful :drool: . For the British girls over there - the dutch guys are all very tall and handsome. :sad: They all speak English with an English accent (which is great for all but the unfortuate guy who picked up a very strong cockney accent) and they are all really friendly.

Yay!

:clap:

Great time. Great venue, Great people and I have already been invited along to Tango classes which are walking distance from my apartment and salsa classes as well.

Yogi_Bear
7th-September-2005, 10:10 PM
Can you give some details of venues, contact details, websites?

Bangers & Mash
7th-September-2005, 11:02 PM
Can you give some details of venues, contact details, websites?

http://www.jive55.nl/

http://www.lindyhop.nl/

To translate from dutch to english, download firefox browser http://www.firefox.com and install the language translation extension.

or visit http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Minnie M
7th-September-2005, 11:16 PM
Familiar faces found on your Dutch site :clap:

Bangers & Mash
9th-September-2005, 11:44 PM
Well tonight was the Argentinian Tango and once again a great evening. It is located 5 minutes walk from my apartment which is very convenient and right next door to my "local" in Leidseplein. For those that are interested, the link is http://www.academiadetango.nl

This was a little more challenging than the Jive, because of the language problems. :confused: This first lesson lasted for 1.5 hours and involved a film first explaining the history of tango, where it came from and how. Unfortunately the spoken language was argentinian and the subtitles were in dutch; but some 50 or 60 of us sat and watched this video with fascination.

The video was stereotypical tango dancers, all looking like enrique and his model partners which seemed quite fitting for an audience of dutch people. :blush: Fortunately it also included a clip of charlie chaplin doing the tango with some poor unsuspecting victim and then laurel and hardy - so I was at least reassured that my efforts at tango dancing would be in good company. :wink:

As the class formed into one big circle to watch a demonstration I quickly realised that if I did not find a partner to translate what was being said I was going to be in hot water :confused: - so I made a beeline for some poor unsuspecting dutch girl, asked her in dutch if she spoke english and when she said yes, said "good you can be my partner and translate". As it turned out, she had 2 years of salsa and was looking to branch into tango or flamenco so I landed on my feet with that partner.

The class was extremely fun and extremely well taught with one teacher initially and 3 or 4 teachers walking around watching and guiding. Then the class broke into two halves to cover some more complex moves and by the end of the 1.5 hours we had a nice little repertoir of moves. :clap:

All the people were really friendly and I actually left that class thinking I had learned something. As for the actual course (cos this was the free sampler), there are 3 different 12 week course each with freestyle afterwards and free entrance to tango bars and clubs. :clap: Each course runs on a different day of the week. But as one of the trainers explained, once you have enrolled you can attend any class in the week regardless of day - so if one week you can't make the monday, then you go to the wednesday and so on. In fact they recommend it to get a mixture of teachers and partners.

All in all, another great find.

There are also a vast array of salsa courses, flamenco courses, pole dancing :eek: and belly dancing courses. The last two sound really interesting, but last time I tried pole dancing I hurt myself :rofl: and I'll find someone to dance on my belly later :innocent:

ducasi
27th-March-2007, 12:01 PM
This is a useful thread for people wanting to go to dance classes in Amsterdam.

Can anyone suggest good places to go dancing in Amsterdam if you're just there for the weekend?

Thanks! :flower:

Caro
27th-March-2007, 12:15 PM
Can I also use this thread to ask if anybody know of some dancing (other than salsa) in The Hague (which is close enough to Amsterdam)? will be there soon for a week, and although I have been there before I have never ventured to dance classes yet... :flower:

Rocky
27th-March-2007, 01:21 PM
This is a useful thread for people wanting to go to dance classes in Amsterdam.

Can anyone suggest good places to go dancing in Amsterdam if you're just there for the weekend?

Thanks! :flower:

Hmm.. can't say Val and I do a lot of actual dancing when we go to Amsterdam...

However, The Supper Club is a great night out - you lay down to eat Roman style and there is also normally a mad cabaret at around midnight. After the main part closes you then have free access to the nightclub downstairs.

There is also The Palladium bar/restaurant/club on Leidsplein where all the beautiful people to shake their thangs..

Both are bit 'touristy' but fun none the less.

ducasi
14th-April-2007, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the info Rocky. :cheers:

We didn't visit either place you mentioned, but we did find a nice cafe/bar called "The Cooldown Cafe" which played some cool tunes, and for at least a wee while, had space on its dance floor for us to do our funky thang.

It's just off the Leidseplein, where indeed we were beautiful. :waycool:

(Though for anyone who reads this and goes to visit it; watch out for water which costs the same as beer, and the paper!!! :really:)