PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday night at Ealing

Feelingpink
7th-September-2005, 11:24 AM
Since the 'Hipsters' thread seems to have been deleted, I wondered if anyone went last night and what it was like (since I had a long-time client commitment and couldn't go)?

Zebra Woman
7th-September-2005, 11:47 AM
Since the 'Hipsters' thread seems to have been deleted, I wondered if anyone went last night and what it was like (since I had a long-time client commitment and couldn't go)?

Yes I'm curious too ...I'm afraid the lure of a 'mystery teacher' just wasn't enough to motivate me to drive a 100 mile round trip.

I was looking for the old thread yeaterday, but I couldn't find it... :confused: Have I missed something?

FFI (For Franco's Information) I would be tempted to drive down for my own personal reasons which are :

A known good teacher who is advertised in advance and is teaching one advanced class
A DJ that I can rely on to play music I like at least 50% of the time
A freestyle that lasts over 2 hours
Friends also planning to be there

I don't need a free drink .

ZW :flower:

David Bailey
7th-September-2005, 12:12 PM
I was looking for the old thread yeaterday, but I couldn't find it... :confused: Have I missed something?
Advertising? I dunno, the Ways Of The Forum are a mystery, wrapped in an enigma, wearing two-toned shoes, or something.

my own personal reasons which are : (list)
My list is much shorter:

Is ZW going?
errr... that's it.

Slightly more seriously, I don't personally get influenced much by "conventional" offers - free drinks, free entry, prizes, etc. Do they sway other people in their choices?

SilverFox
7th-September-2005, 12:15 PM
I arrived at 8pm for the class to find only 7 people in the hall, so I did the only sensible thing and headed off to the pub. :cheers:

Got back at 9.10pm for the freestyle, which is now 2½ hours long. (9-11.30pm).

The class was taught by Nelson Rose and the routine was apparently very good. Hmmmm....Good class vs. Beer....tricky one that.... :confused:

Roger Chin was the DJ for the night and IMHO was a bit disappointing. Too much fast music and too much cheesy pop for my liking.

At it's peak there were probably 45-50 people, which withered down to c.30 by 10.30pm. :sick:

Unfortunately, I will not be returning on a Tuesday again.

btw. If anyone is wondering why I would pass on the free beer offer and head to the pub, you clearly haven't sampled the delights of a free bar at Ealing. :sick:

:cheers:

Clive Long
7th-September-2005, 12:16 PM
Advertising? I dunno, the Ways Of The Forum are a mystery, wrapped in an enigma, wearing two-toned shoes, or something.

My list is much shorter:

Is ZW going?
errr... that's it.

Slightly more seriously, I don't personally get influenced much by "conventional" offers - free drinks, free entry, prizes, etc. Do they sway other people in their choices?
Simple for me too:
1. I fancy a dance tonight
2. Go to Lynda's List
3. Decide

CRL

Sheepman
7th-September-2005, 12:16 PM
I was curious as to how it was last night too, I was busy elsewhere so couldn't make it to Ealing. Thanks Silverfox for the update.

I'm just as curious as to why that other thread was deleted. I didn't get to see it, but AFAIK it wasn't full of abuse or smut. (Did anything ever get deleted here because of smut? :wink: ) Maybe it was down to advertising, but if so, was it any more blatant than many other posts that don't get deleted?

Greg

Feelingpink
7th-September-2005, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the info SF - it's a shame the music didn't sound as if it was all it could be. That's one of the main reasons I'll go to a venue - that and a selection of 'musical' partners and some space to dance in. Perhaps with improved music and knowing who the teacher is would be good - I'm with ZW - I'm not going to turn up for a 'mystery' lesson.

ChrisA
7th-September-2005, 03:54 PM
The class was taught by Nelson Rose and the routine was apparently very good.
I went to the class. I thought it was quite interesting, with not a single one of the moves he taught known to me beforehand (apart from an archie variation that I'd seen but not done). They were all perfectly leadable, and one of them has gone straight into my repertoire, so I was very pleased about that.

I would say that the music was vintage Roger. I didn't find the pop as cheesy as SF, but then again I did kinda feel beforehand that I knew exactly what to expect, and my expectations was exactly met... much as I luv ya Rog - more new material, please, and even though it's a year and a half since the heyday of LA Ex, it's still in the "overplayed" category, ok? :hug:

Having said that, I did quite like most of what he played, although there was nothing in the truly luscious category that TwK (obviously), Jon Brett (at his best), Greg or BobGadget can seem to find.

I totally agree with others that Franco should announce the teacher in advance. When I saw that Nelson was teaching I was happy to stay, and I enjoyed his class, but I can think of one or two teachers that I'd be disappointed to find after I'd turned up and paid my £7.

I'm not a cynic :innocent: but I'll let people form their own opinion from the following facts:

- free bar
- no ice.

Still, free soft drinks, even at room temperature, were very welcome, and appreciated.

There were enough good ladies for me to have a reasonable time, so on balance, my impression of what was, after all, a first night, is positive. I'll be going back next week cos I think it deserves a reasonable running-in period.

Sparkles
7th-September-2005, 05:06 PM
There were enough good ladies for me to have a reasonable time, so on balance, my impression of what was, after all, a first night, is positive. I'll be going back next week cos I think it deserves a reasonable running-in period.

When the "running-in period" is over will you give us an update, please?
More positive feedback might convince me to drive for (usually) over an hour to get there.
Thanks. :hug:
S. x

Missy D
7th-September-2005, 07:48 PM
Unfortunately, I will not be returning on a Tuesday again.

btw. If anyone is wondering why I would pass on the free beer offer and head to the pub, you clearly haven't sampled the delights of a free bar at Ealing. :sick:

:cheers:

Does this mean you might just head for North London one tuesday :drool:

Yogi_Bear
7th-September-2005, 10:07 PM
I'm afraid the lure of a 'mystery teacher' just wasn't enough to motivate me to drive a 100 mile round trip.

In the case of those of us coming from around such places as Norwich, it's more like a 200 mile round trip at least. Hence the need to plague Forumites from time to time for advice as to which of two or more potential venues we should gfo to. Last weekend it was Cheshunt v Hipsters - and for the majority Cheshunt won. Of course, the weekenders are usually no-brainers despite long drives, as in terms of quality dancing per pound they're great value :clap:

TiggsTours
8th-September-2005, 02:11 PM
Aha! This has all been kept very quiet!

Tuesday nights is no longer Hipsters, JB & Nigel no longer have anything to do with it, its just back to being Franco's Jivetime. :eek:

Gus
9th-September-2005, 12:10 PM
I totally agree with others that Franco should announce the teacher in advance. When I saw that Nelson was teaching I was happy to stay, and I enjoyed his class, but I can think of one or two teachers that I'd be disappointed to find after I'd turned up and paid my £7.Putting a slightly different slant on it ... if I'd known that Neslon Rose was teaching I would definitely been there and not at Ceroc Greenwich. No insult to Greenwich (and Kelly taught a lovely class) but Nelson is an awesome teacher and rarely seen outside his natural habitat of the far, far South West.

David Bailey
9th-September-2005, 12:24 PM
Putting a slightly different slant on it ... if I'd known that Neslon Rose was teaching I would definitely been there and not at Ceroc Greenwich.
Yes, it does seem a lttle weird keeping the identity quiet - I guess we just don't like mysteries :)

Still, marketing is a mystery to me, so maybe that cancels out or something...

CJ
9th-September-2005, 12:49 PM
I totally agree with others that Franco should announce the teacher in advance. When I saw that Nelson was teaching I was happy to stay, and I enjoyed his class, but I can think of one or two teachers that I'd be disappointed to find after I'd turned up and paid my £7.

Perhaps, he was rewarding your speculation or "loyalty":

You came for his class and here's the reward: a fantastic teacher from afar. Am expressing this badly, but what I am trying to say is that instead of saying "here's a fab teacher, come and get it," Franco was saying "thank you for coming to my night: as a thank you for you taking that decision, here is a cool teacher just for you."

Just a thought, albeit a badly expressed one...

TiggsTours
9th-September-2005, 01:00 PM
It turns out that Nelson wasn't supposed to be teaching, whoever the "mystery" teacher was let Franco down at the last minute, and Nelson stepped in, so don't get overly excited about the thought of him teaching there in future.

Ballroom queen
9th-September-2005, 07:16 PM
Aha! This has all been kept very quiet!

Tuesday nights is no longer Hipsters, JB & Nigel no longer have anything to do with it, its just back to being Franco's Jivetime. :eek:

It wasn't quiet, there was a whole thread on it, but as someone else said, its gone.... (anyone gonna tell us why???)

El Salsero Gringo
9th-September-2005, 07:30 PM
It wasn't quiet, there was a whole thread on it, but as someone else said, its gone.... (anyone gonna tell us why???)I'm going to play Devil's advocate and suggest that since the thread was somewhat less than complimentary about the opening night, and since it is permitted here to criticize only Ceroc and its activities - the thread had to go.

Or maybe that's just too subtle.

Gus
9th-September-2005, 10:39 PM
I'm going to play Devil's advocate and suggest that since the thread was somewhat less than complimentary about the opening night, and since it is permitted here to criticize only Ceroc and its activities - the thread had to go.AHEM as the REAL ODA .... I might have suggested that the thread was removed as it adverstised an organisation that rivaled Ceroc ... but that would be a change of policy :whistle:

OR .. it may have been that a non-Commercial Organiser posted a thread advertising an event .... which IS outside the rules of the forum. :nice:

IT WOULD STILL BE NICE TO KNOW WHICH MR AND MRS MODERATORS!
Think they heard that?

MaxBeat
12th-September-2005, 02:30 PM
... So, I can not resolve the mistery of the missing thread, but I can resolve the question of the mistery teacher!

I did not advertise the teacher's name because I was concerned with the pressure that could be put upon that teacher not to teach for me on Tuesday night!

... Do I suffer of paranoia? No I do not! This week, a new teacher was meant to teach on Tuesday night, however, due to the aforementioned pressures, she will not be able to teach at Ealing this Tuesday.

Nelson delivered an impressive class last week and so I asked him to be with us again this Tuesday, when he will deliver another advanced class followed by 2.5 hours of freestyle with Roger.

With regard to the question of Tuesday being an Hipsters' or JiveTime's event, those regulars that used to come to Hipsters on Tuesday and the Big Fat Friday, would, no doubt, have spotted the JiveTime banner permanently on stage. Just as much as the Hipsters's banner is displayed on stage at Camber. That is because I am behind the organisation of either events, albeit Nigel and Jon are no longer involved on Tuesdays.

Hipsters, JiveTime, Ceroc, LeRoc (in no particular order) and any other name that you can think of, means nothing without the serious committment of the organiser and the important support of the dancers.

I am committed to deliver a superior event on Tuesday night, but that is only half of the equation, as in the end I can continue with this product only if the dancers want it!

David Bailey
12th-September-2005, 03:15 PM
I did not advertise the teacher's name because I was concerned with the pressure that could be put upon that teacher not to teach for me on Tuesday night!

... Do I suffer of paranoia? No I do not! This week, a new teacher was meant to teach on Tuesday night, however, due to the aforementioned pressures, she will not be able to teach at Ealing this Tuesday.
Yes. OK. Err, thanks for clearing that up... :confused:

Nelson... will deliver another advanced class followed by 2.5 hours of freestyle with Roger.
Won't they get bored dancing with each other for all that time? :devil:

I am committed to deliver a superior event on Tuesday night, but that is only half of the equation, as in the end I can continue with this product only if the dancers want it!
A lot of people (myself included) do indeed want a superior product, non-Borg, on a weekday, and are prepared to both travel and pay extra for it. But I think some of them at least will want some reassurance that it will indeed be a superior product, as Hipsters was.

I don't know if mystery works particularly well in persuading some people to travel (say) 50+ miles "on spec"; most of the advanced dancers you presumably wish to market to will know the great teachers and DJs, and will want to know if their favourites will be there or not.

Good luck for Tuesday, it sounds like it could be a great night.

stewart38
15th-September-2005, 03:04 PM
Re recent e-mail
-------------------------------------
Please note that we are closed on Tuesday 20th September, but will re-open on Tuesday 27th September featuring a special class

Tango Jive in Harlem

A delicious Modern Jive Workshop blended with stylish Tango moves taught by David Plummer and Pip Brent.

I hope that you will be able to make it on Tuesday the 27th of September, as on the strength of that attendance I will decide whether to continue or close the Tuesday event on a permanent basis. I intend to employ different teachers of high quality every Tuesday in order to bring variation and excitement. The DJ has a mandate to play 2.5 hours freestyle music suitable to a pure modern jive audience. I am prepared to invest what it takes to keep Tuesday night at Ealing a special event, attracting the best jivers around, however, I can only do this with your support
----------------------------------------

Always found Ealing a bit cliquey and elistist so cant say im surprised but sad if it doesnt continue was great dancers there

Zebra Woman
15th-September-2005, 03:17 PM
Re recent e-mail
-------------------------------------
Please note that we are closed on Tuesday 20th September, but will re-open on Tuesday 27th September featuring a special class

Tango Jive in Harlem

A delicious Modern Jive Workshop blended with stylish Tango moves taught by David Plummer and Pip Brent.

I hope that you will be able to make it on Tuesday the 27th of September, as on the strength of that attendance I will decide whether to continue or close the Tuesday event on a permanent basis. I intend to employ different teachers of high quality every Tuesday in order to bring variation and excitement. The DJ has a mandate to play 2.5 hours freestyle music suitable to a pure modern jive audience. I am prepared to invest what it takes to keep Tuesday night at Ealing a special event, attracting the best jivers around, however, I can only do this with your support
----------------------------------------

Always found Ealing a bit cliquey and elistist so cant say im surprised but sad if it doesnt continue was great dancers there

Well I'll be there on the 27th. :clap: I want to see this venue survive. not least because I want our grandchildren have a choice in future years....

Hey CJ ! Will you be pre or post waxing on that night?

Ballroom queen
15th-September-2005, 06:47 PM
Well I'll be there on the 27th. :clap: I want to see this venue survive. not least because I want our grandchildren have a choice in future years....

me too, not that I've been for ages, how about we all make an effort for this one???

Missy D
15th-September-2005, 10:17 PM

Hey CJ ! Will you be pre or post waxing on that night?

Me and sis will be there and promise to not lower the tone too much :whistle:

Rumours are CJ will also be gracing us with his presence :clap:

Clive Long
15th-September-2005, 10:31 PM

Now that's what I call planning and commitment. :worthy:

I barely remember what I'm doing next week.

BTW, how are your grand-children?

Clive :flower:

CJ
16th-September-2005, 01:42 PM
Me and sis will be there and promise to not lower the tone too much :whistle:

Rumours are CJ will also be gracing us with his presence :clap:

Instinct says the class will be beyond me, but I'll be there.

Oh, and I would be grateful if you didn't lower the tone: if only to protect mine and ZW collective innocence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

:whistle:

Asif
16th-September-2005, 01:58 PM
I've only just seen this post and would like to add my two pennies worth..

I had other commitments the last two weeks and, with not knowing who was going to be teaching, did not feel strongly enough to warrant me changing these plans. Had i known in advance it was going to be Nelson, that would have made me think twice (i think he is a great teacher and well as being a nice bloke, plus his missus is quite cute too :yum: - BTW, was she there?).

Not sure what these "pressures" are :confused: that Franco said the teachers are being put under, but it is true to say that people won't travel a long distance and take pot luck if they don't know who is teaching, etc, etc, especially if they are coming specifically for a good quality lesson. Granted, Nelson was a last minute stand-in, but this could have also been mentioned in a last minute email.

Tuesday nights (as Hipsters) used to be a fantastic night - great lessons, great dancers, great music - it is difficult to say why the attendance was so dramatically affected in the last few weeks/months prior to it closing for the summer but IMHO, i think was due to a number of factors. Other venues starting up on the same night, offering something a little bit different. Lack of variety in the classes themselves - albeit the classes and teachers were great, they need to be something a little different again to make them stand out from the others. Advertising and promoting - you need to keep people informed of the evenings, instead of just sitting back and hoping that all of your loyal regulars will keep coming back week after week. You also need to get the message out to others who have not been before.

Music is also so important, this evening stood out because you WEREN'T getting the usual blend of plinky-plinky, non-inspiring, run-of-the-mill pop music that alot of other places are just pushing out all the time.

I only live a few minutes away from Ealing Town Hall so do not have the same dilema as others about having to make that mammouth journey - they can't change their minds just as easily once they have arrived becuase it would mean that the whole evening was wasted. However, i'm going to be just as less inclined to go if i know the evening is going to be non-inspiring with some unknown hit-or-miss teacher and some average music.

As it is now running under the banner of JiveTime (no Nigel teaching or JB DJ'ing), i hope that it will still perform to the standard that it used to be in the past, as it would be a shame to loose such a good venue/evening. As with most events, they can only succeed with the support from the dancers. If you don't go because you think the numbers are a bit low then it will only create a viscious circle as others won't come either, and so on.

Suggestion for Franco in order to keep Tuesdays fresh - why not have a little questionnaire on the door, for those who wish to make comments, with questions like:-

- Do you want to know who the teachers are each week and what they are teaching?
- Do you have any favourite teachers that you would like to see here?
- Are the complexity of the lessons okay or would you like them raised/lowered?
- Do you have any music preferences?
- Do you have any other suggestions as to what would improve your evening in general?

I'm going to Ealing next Tuesday and hope to see all the lovely ladies there too for some long awaited dances!!

Asif :)

ChrisA
16th-September-2005, 02:00 PM
Instinct says the class will be beyond me, but I'll be there.
In all seriousness, I think this is very unlikely. I enjoyed the first one, I could take or leave the second one, but there was nothing particularly difficult about either.

I don't know who it's going to be on the 27th, but I don't get the impression Franco's looking to get teachers who will pitch their class at an unattainable level, although hopefully they'll be interesting.

In any case, even with classes that are particularly difficult, such as some of the best of Amir's were when he taught at Ealing on Tuesdays, and later, Wednesdays, all that's necessary is a change in expectation - I used to be quite pleased when I came away having "got" as much as 10% of the content. And those 10 percents mount up over time, too.

Certainly, if the music is as good as Roger produced on Tuesday this week, it'll be a cracking freestyle. I'll certainly be there.

ChrisA
16th-September-2005, 02:01 PM
I'm going to Ealing next Tuesday and hope to see all the lovely ladies there too for some long awaited dances!!

Not next week!!!

It's shut next week (20th).

It's the 27th we're planning for...

:hug:

El Salsero Gringo
16th-September-2005, 02:06 PM
Has anyone ever tried a weeknight with no class - just freestyle?

CJ
16th-September-2005, 02:06 PM
Has anyone ever tried a weeknight with no class - just freestyle?

No, but I've done a night with no style, just free class :D

Rhythm King
16th-September-2005, 02:16 PM
No, but I've done a night with no style, just free class :D

Well I hope you've polished your kilt. Don't want to be dropping your standards. Of course you'll still be hairy then won't you? Should keep the girls interested :wink:

Asif
16th-September-2005, 02:25 PM
Not next week!!!

It's shut next week (20th).

It's the 27th we're planning for...

:hug:
Cheers mate :cheers: - i'll put it my diary now!