PDA

View Full Version : Thursday 15th September en route to Southport

under par
7th-September-2005, 12:06 AM
Okay in June Mrs Par and I visited Fleet on the Thursday before Southport then drove up through the night and slept in the car. :blush:

We want to set off on Thursday again next week(so keen are we to get there early!!) and are looking for a venue to visit enroute. :yeah:

We enjoyed Fleet and had a lovely pub meal on the recommendation of Spindr(thankyou again)before we arrived. :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

We may go there again as it was a good night but is there a better option further north or in London we don't really mind where. :whistle:

Midlands, London or North west, where is the happening place to be at on a Thursday???? :flower:

under par
7th-September-2005, 10:20 AM
All very quiet on this thread!!!! :confused:

Looks like there is no competition to Fleet and Mrs Par and I may well be back there next Thursday :D

Northants Girly
7th-September-2005, 10:22 AM
Maybe Solihull?

But I'm not an expert - maybe DianaS would know?

Diana!!! Clear some space in your PM inbox - its full and no-one can send you any more PMs!!

under par
7th-September-2005, 01:23 PM
Maybe Solihull?

But I'm not an expert - maybe DianaS would know?

Diana!!! Clear some space in your PM inbox - its full and no-one can send you any more PMs!!

Thanks NG i will check out where the venue is.

Anybody any comments on Solihull as an alternative to Fleet as I do not know anyone up there. :flower:

DianaS
7th-September-2005, 01:38 PM
hi Sorry Have been really busy and not reading much. Gosh Thursdays at Mine sorry if there's been confusion!!
Solihul is about 40 minutes away I'll pM you detials
Bye D

DianaS
7th-September-2005, 02:13 PM
Hi Solihul is just off the M42 and is a popular ceroc venue. The beginners class is usually around 8 and intermediate at 9 followed by freestyle. Its friendly but has recently become quite crowded, I used to be a regular there but haven't danced there more than three times over the last 6 months!

The floor is good though and the music usually excellent if Duncan's on. I'd be quite happy to meet up there on Thursday so PM me if you are in the area pr drop a note to this thread! :cheers:
D

Trousers
7th-September-2005, 03:18 PM
Mr Par - I would second DianaS here - Solihull does have the problem of being very crowded most evenings but I would add the lessons without fail run on and on and on.

Having said that there are some v nice ladies - DianaS obviously - Don't know if there are any other forumites.

As to the standard of the guys for Mrs Par back to you Di.

There is also Wolverhampton at the Goodyear pavillion been there a few times always had a good boogie. Think from memory it is a tad smaller than Solihull. However for heading north afterwards it wins hands down. Different franchise to Solihull too and timing is a little better.

Neither of these are a patch on Fleet tho - but you will have a longer drive.

David Bailey
7th-September-2005, 03:30 PM
Midlands, London or North west, where is the happening place to be at on a Thursday???? :flower:
London-ish on Thursdays: Greenford (West London), St. Albans (North of london), Fulham (South), and Harrow (Northwest).

HTH

under par
7th-September-2005, 03:54 PM
London-ish on Thursdays: Greenford (West London), St. Albans (North of london), Fulham (South), and Harrow (Northwest).

HTH

And how would you rate the venues if you had to choose DJ?

I would like a buzzing venue with a couple of good male leads for Mrs Par and plenty of freestyle time............. and some half decent music please. :flower:

Now that is not asking too much is it?? :whistle:

Oh and can you throw in a few forumites as well.. :yeah:

under par
7th-September-2005, 03:55 PM
Thanks Trousers and Diana for the midlands info too :hug: :worthy: :hug: :yeah:

stewart38
7th-September-2005, 04:10 PM

I would like a buzzing venue with a couple of good male leads for Mrs Par and plenty of freestyle time............. and some half decent music please. :flower:

Fulham is good with 200+ but a bit of a detour for you me thinks

you could do worse and stick to fleet though ?

St Albans :whistle:

re driving and sleeping at the same time that just dangerous

Okay in June Mrs Par and I visited Fleet on the Thursday before Southport then drove up through the night and slept in the car. :blush:

Tessalicious
7th-September-2005, 04:25 PM

Oh and can you throw in a few forumites as well.. :yeah:Well, speaking from personal experience, which only covers Fulham and Greenford:

Fulham has the advantage of being full of very good dancers, but if you can find them - since full is the operative word.

Greenford on the other hand has a slightly lower standard but there are a few regular very good forumite attendees and a couple of fab teachers (apologies in advance for the dreadful standard of the demo who will be on duty that night though :sad: ), plus it's a larger hall than necessary for the number of people actually freestyling to any one song, so there's room to only to move but to really have some fun.

And it would be great to see you and the lovely Mrs Under Par there next week :flower:

David Bailey
7th-September-2005, 04:36 PM
Errr.. blimey - tough one.

St. Albans next Thursday will have an incredibly good salsa mini-class if that helps :whistle: - but it's a bit out of your way I believe. Small-ish venue, good teacher, Jon Brett DJ-ing.

Harrow, I've only been once, so I can't really comment on what it's like now - anyone want to volunteer? Tiggstours?

Greenford may well be closest on your way (just off the M4), but I dunno what it's like; sounds friendly though.

Fulham sounds like the "buzzing-est" - if I were in your position I might go there, but again it may be a bit out of your way.

Don't we all? (Well, OK, not the male leads thing...)

I suspect they'll all have at least one forumite...

under par
7th-September-2005, 04:48 PM

St. Albans next Thursday will have an incredibly good salsa mini-class if that helps :whistle: - but it's a bit out of your way I believe. Small-ish venue, good teacher, Jon Brett DJ-ing.

Harrow, I've only been once, so I can't really comment on what it's like now - anyone want to volunteer? Tiggstours?

Greenford may well be closest on your way (just off the M4), but I dunno what it's like; sounds friendly though.

Fulham sounds like the "buzzing-est" - if I were in your position I might go there, but again it may be a bit out of your way.

Don't we all? (Well, OK, not the male leads thing...)

I suspect they'll all have at least one forumite...

Good effort DJ :worthy: :worthy: lovely synopsis(sp?)

Fleet Fulham Greenford Solihull??????????? Wolverhampton??? :whistle: :whistle:

Any other venues to put into the equation. :flower:

bigdjiver
7th-September-2005, 05:19 PM
Add Bedford to the list of possiblities. Roy is a good DJ. There were some superb dancers there last time. Unfortunately Michaela has broken her arm, and will not be teaching for a while.

under par
7th-September-2005, 05:31 PM
Good effort DJ :worthy: :worthy: lovely synopsis(sp?)

Fleet Fulham Greenford Solihull??????????? Wolverhampton??? :whistle: :whistle:

Any other venues to put into the equation. :flower:

And Bedford :yeah: Thanks Bigdjiver :worthy: :worthy:

David Bailey
7th-September-2005, 05:38 PM
And Bedford :yeah: Thanks Bigdjiver :worthy: :worthy:
Bedford?

Isn't that a little bit out of the way? I thought you were coming from the South-West?

fletch
7th-September-2005, 05:41 PM
Solihull is good, well it was last week, ill save you a dance if you come :flower:

under par
7th-September-2005, 05:46 PM
Bedford?

Isn't that a little bit out of the way? I thought you were coming from the South-West?

Nah!! We are travelling up from Worthing on the south coast.

As far as a bit out of the way is concerned we regularly visit Dorking, Hammersmith Godalming Fulham Twyford Ealing and have been seen in Oxford on occasions!

So I will look at the map pick the best " dance" option and then drive on into the moonlight to the sandy shores of Southport :yeah:

Only 9 days to go :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: ooopps wrong thread!!!

WittyBird
8th-September-2005, 01:23 AM

St. Albans next Thursday will have an incredibly good salsa mini-class if that helps :whistle: - but it's a bit out of your way I believe. Small-ish venue, good teacher, Jon Brett DJ-ing..

Never done St Albans venue but its a beautiful city. :waycool: As I work there I'm not biased :whistle: but if you choose St Albans I could recommend some beautiful restaurants and places to go :grin: Verulamium Park is lovely to walk through and look at the original Roman Walls.

http://www.stalbansmuseums.org.uk/verulamium_museum.htm
http://www.stalbans.gov.uk/leisure/parks/verulamium.htm
http://www.beenthere-donethat.org.uk/hertfordshire/stalbans.html

Whatever you decide to do I hope you enjoy it :grin:

Northants Girly
8th-September-2005, 10:16 AM
Never done St Albans venue but its a beautiful city. :waycool: As I work there I'm not biased :whistle: but if you choose St Albans I could recommend some beautiful restaurants and places to go :grin: Verulamium Park is lovely to walk through and look at the original Roman Walls.

http://www.stalbansmuseums.org.uk/verulamium_museum.htm
http://www.stalbans.gov.uk/leisure/parks/verulamium.htm
http://www.beenthere-donethat.org.uk/hertfordshire/stalbans.html

Whatever you decide to do I hope you enjoy it :grin:The best thing I remember about St Albans was the Waffle Mill :drool:

WittyBird
8th-September-2005, 10:49 AM
The best thing I remember about St Albans was the Waffle Mill :drool:

YAY its great there the food is excellent :grin: Also the good thing about St Albans is quick and easy access to M1 - M25 & A1 :cheers:

David Bailey
8th-September-2005, 11:10 AM
Also the good thing about St Albans is quick and easy access to M1 - M25 & A1 :cheers:
"St. Albans: a place you can leave very quickly!" :devil:

WittyBird
8th-September-2005, 11:13 AM
"St. Albans: a place you can leave very quickly!" :devil:

:rofl: that is true. But the beauty makes you stay :whistle:

spindr
8th-September-2005, 01:34 PM
:rofl: that is true. But the beauty makes you stay :whistle:
Didn't know [LMC/Sparkles/Purple Sparker/Dizzy] (*) lived in St. Alban's :)

(*) delete as applicable.

Clive Long
8th-September-2005, 01:39 PM
that is true. But the beauty makes you stay

oooh, ooh, ooh, you charmer !

Yet another blatant rep-tart manoeuver

He's right, of course (desparately trying to hold onto the good Dr.'s coat-tails)

CRL

LMC
8th-September-2005, 02:17 PM

I don't :tears:

(but rep on it's way)

WittyBird
8th-September-2005, 04:19 PM

:confused: I was referring to the Beauty of the architecture and the historical beauty of the city. If you want to be shallow and go on the physical beauty of people then that is only skin deep. It is on the inside what counts. :grin: As far as I'm concerned you get good and bad in all Cities. I think you have to look and think out of the box more. :grin:

spindr
8th-September-2005, 05:14 PM
:devil:

I think you have to look and think out of the box more. :grin:

WittyBird
8th-September-2005, 05:20 PM

have I touched a nerve :rofl:

LMC
8th-September-2005, 05:23 PM

C'mon, I know you can do better than that in terms of tone-lowering - I'm disappointed...

WittyBird
8th-September-2005, 05:27 PM
C'mon, I know you can do better than that in terms of tone-lowering - I'm disappointed...

yeah me is thinking someones keyboard might be stuck :whistle:

spindr
8th-September-2005, 05:49 PM
yeah me is thinking someones keyboard might be stuck :whistle:
Must be catching -- your apostrophe seems to be gummed up. :)

WittyBird
8th-September-2005, 05:54 PM
Must be catching -- your apostrophe seems to be gummed up. :)
:blush: ooops touche :rofl:

LMC
8th-September-2005, 07:31 PM
argumentative stuff
You're just jealous 'cos you weren't on the list :smug:

People who say nice things can be as shallow as they like :drool: :na:

WittyBird
8th-September-2005, 07:53 PM
You're just jealous 'cos you weren't on the list :smug:

People who say nice things can be as shallow as they like :drool: :na:

How do you work that one out? :confused: How would I be on the list when I have never met the guy? :rolleyes: So what your saying is that as long as someone says nice things you take that as face value? :rofl: Maybe I'm just cynical and stoopid. :eek:

LMC
8th-September-2005, 08:01 PM
My humour does not resemble your Earth humour :rolleyes:

or is it just that I'm a shameless hussy?

*gets coat*

ANYWAY... Thursday 15 September... yeah... er...

St Albans: the venue itself is quite small - I've only been there once on a Thursday, about 3 months ago when I was very beginner, so can't really comment on standards, but I have to be honest and say that people didn't seem that friendly. UP & Mrs P - if I were in your shoes I'd stick with Fleet or give Greenford a go :flower:

angelique
8th-September-2005, 08:11 PM
Completely off track..sorry! :blush:
Just out of interest who teaches at St.Albans these days on either of the nights? :flower:

LMC
8th-September-2005, 08:27 PM
Just out of interest who teaches at St.Albans these days on either of the nights? :flower:
Dunno sorry :blush:

Forgot to say that Jon Brett DJs there on a Thursday.

under par
9th-September-2005, 07:39 AM
So its looking a close run thing between Fleet and Greenford...........I think !!!

Have discussed the thread with Mrs Par and I think she's favouring Greenford.......awaiting developments :whistle:

David Bailey
9th-September-2005, 08:24 AM
Carol - on Thursdays at least. She's the one with the hair ( :) ) who teaches on Mondays at Finchley.

Good class, but yes, it's a small venue, and there are probably livelier ones around if you're mainly looking for a good freestyle night.

Almost an Angel
9th-September-2005, 08:51 AM
So its looking a close run thing between Fleet and Greenford...........I think !!!

Have discussed the thread with Mrs Par and I think she's favouring Greenford.......awaiting developments :whistle:

Are you sure I can't sway you Fleet the direction again, added bonus - you get to see me :waycool:
*now is that a positive or negative thing* :hug:

Lory
9th-September-2005, 09:00 AM
Yet another blatant rep-tart manoeuver

Ahh but it might work in reverse from the people he missed! :whistle: :wink: :rofl:

Nahh I wouldn't be that cruel :innocent:

DianaS
9th-September-2005, 09:05 AM
Are but it might work in reverse from the people he missed! :whistle: :wink: :rofl:

Nahh I wouldn't be that cruel :innocent:
\hmmm neither would I :devil:

under par
9th-September-2005, 03:17 PM
Are you sure I can't sway you Fleet the direction again, added bonus - you get to see me :waycool:
*now is that a positive or negative thing* :hug:

Positive big positive :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

Lucy Locket
9th-September-2005, 05:23 PM

We want to set off on Thursday again next week(so keen are we to get there early!!) and are looking for a venue to visit enroute. :yeah:

We enjoyed Fleet and had a lovely pub meal on the recommendation of Spindr(thankyou again)before we arrived. :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

We may go there again as it was a good night but is there a better option further north or in London we don't really mind where. :whistle:

there's northampton & rugby thursday, i'm a few minutes from j16 of M1 if you want to stay.

FirstMove
9th-September-2005, 06:30 PM
How about Worcester on Thursday night? Not a huge number of Hot-Shot dancers and can be a bit hot, but it has a certain rustic charm.

under par
15th-September-2005, 08:21 AM
I'd like to thank all of you for the informatio recieved via this thread. :worthy: :worthy:

We have been inundated with offers and have taken time to consider them all. :clap: :clap: :worthy: :clap: :clap:

Taking everything into consideration as far as possible petrol/fuel problems and the time Mrs Par finishes work and everything else ...

we have decided to go to.......................................okay I'll tell you a little later on today. :rofl:

under par
15th-September-2005, 11:30 AM
we have decided to go to........................................ :rofl:

Greenford

look forward to all those new people to dance with :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Zebra Woman
15th-September-2005, 12:10 PM
Greenford

look forward to all those new people to dance with :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Phew what a relief :clap: ...

I thought I was going to have to join you at Kempston tonight, and I really need an early night. :innocent:

Enjoy Greenford tonight.

ZW :flower:

under par
15th-September-2005, 12:23 PM
Phew what a relief :clap: ...

I thought I was going to have to join you at Kempston tonight, and I really need an early night. :innocent:

Enjoy Greenford tonight.

ZW :flower:

Sorry you lazy tyke I was expecting you at Greenford... :devil: :angry:

David Bailey
15th-September-2005, 01:01 PM
Sorry you lazy tyke I was expecting you at Greenford... :devil: :angry:
Make sure ESG points out the lovely Monica to you whilst you're there... :drool:

under par
15th-September-2005, 01:12 PM
Make sure ESG points out the lovely Monica to you whilst you're there... :drool:

Thankyou DJ . :worthy:

Take it you will be elsewhere!! :whistle:

kryton1
15th-September-2005, 01:13 PM
Thursday nights there is Ceroc Solihull at the landrover sports and social club.
Great venue gets about 140 people.
Go to www.ceroclspa.co.uk for details.

Lou
15th-September-2005, 01:54 PM
How about Worcester on Thursday night? Not a huge number of Hot-Shot dancers and can be a bit hot, but it has a certain rustic charm.
I like Worcester very much. I've only once met a Hotshot there (and I was so shocked by the refusal I received that I posted here! :eek: ). There's enough scrummy dancers there to make the trip from Bristol worthwhile, plus the atmosphere is just so friendly. :)

Anyway - should anyone be venturing there tonight, I hope you'll ask me for a dance or three. :flower:

David Bailey
15th-September-2005, 02:27 PM
Take it you will be elsewhere!! :whistle:
I'll be helping spread the salsa word to MJ-ers in St. Albans, yes.

Obviously, I'd be at Greenford with the lovely Tessa (and others as well) otherwise...

Tessalicious
15th-September-2005, 03:06 PM
Greenford
look forward to all those new people to dance with :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :clap: :clap: Looking forward to seeing you guys tonight!

Obviously, I'd be at Greenford with the lovely Tessa (and others as well) otherwise..Yeah yeah yeah, flattery will get you nowhere - put your dance-shoes where your mouth is Mister.

David Bailey
15th-September-2005, 03:18 PM
Yeah yeah yeah, flattery will get you nowhere - put your dance-shoes where your mouth is Mister.
Actually, I might well go to Greenford at some point now :whistle:

JoC
15th-September-2005, 05:03 PM
Actually, I might well go to Greenford at some point now :whistle:I hope that's nothing to do with anything :innocent:

David Bailey
15th-September-2005, 05:32 PM
I hope that's nothing to do with anything :innocent:
OK, I'm now officially Lost In Innuendo, I can't remember what I was :innocent: , :whistle: or :wink: about...

JoC
15th-September-2005, 06:29 PM
I can't rememberMe neither, anything in my case.

Everybody have a lovely time tonight wherever you're going! :flower:

I'm going to Perth an' I'm right in the mood after a bit of an 'off' week and a half. :clap: