PDA

View Full Version : Please sign this petition

TiggsTours
6th-September-2005, 05:08 PM
Sorry for using this forum for this, but this is important to me.

I have just signed the petition entitled Endometriosis. Seeking more awareness and investment to reduce current inequalities of health and hoped you would be interested in adding your support.

To read about the petition and to sign it just visit
http://www.petitionthem.com/default.asp?sect=detail&pet=1953

Overview of this petition: -

Endometriosis is a debilitating disease affecting an estimated 2 million women and young women in the UK.

Last year, I was finally diagnosed as suffering from Endometriosis myself. For me this took 8 years to diagnose, from when I first went to see my GP complaining of stomach pains. After seeing 3 GPs, 3 Consultants, mis-diagnosis of bladder infection, grumbling appendix, suspected Chrons Disease, and Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and a total of 5 highly intrusive (and painful) internal investigative operations (4 looking for the wrong thing, in the wrong place!), I was finally diagnosed.

It was 6 years after my first visit to a GP that Endometriosis was even considered, even though my symptoms read like a text book. Even then, I had to ask my GP to test me, as I believed it sounded right, I was purely lucky enough to stumble on this condition after helping out at a fundraising event organised by my friend, Ian Rogers, if it had not been for that, maybe I still wouldn't have been diagnosed.

At first, I did not want to publicise to the world that I suffer from this condition, as it is highly personal. Sadly though, my situation is not unusual, and I believe that it is only women in my situation being open enough to talk about this that will truly highlight this situation, which clearly needs to change.

A recent survey undertaken by the Endometriosis All Party Parliamentary Group shows that the average time to make a correct endometriosis diagnosis is increasing, and currently takes on average 8 years from the first time they see their GP about their symptoms. 68% of women were originally told they had another condition prior to correct diagnosis.

This is unacceptable in 2005 and for women to be living with symptoms for protracted lengths of time can lead to incorrect treatment and unnecessary impact on their health and quality of life.

I hope you will sign this petition urging the British Government to support and promote awareness-raising initiatives via national organisations, to invest in major information campaigns targeting the public, health professionals and legislators and invest and promote the need for more research into the causes, prevention and treatment of endometriosis.