PDA

View Full Version : Women and forum identities

David Bailey
31st-August-2005, 07:55 PM
Inspired by this post (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showpost.php?p=147207&postcount=51), and by a conversation I had last Saturday night - what is it about women re-inventing themselves with "descriptive" names on the forum?

OK, lots of men have strange names (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/member.php?u=1275) as well - but at least some of us have our actual Names, or parts thereof.

But lots / most women seem to have an urge to create a virtual identity. Why is that?

LMC
31st-August-2005, 07:58 PM
For me, it was because I wanted to be anonymous and couldn't think of anything interesting.

I need to e-mail Franck to get me changed actually, as the novelty of me has probably well worn off by now :D

Clive Long
31st-August-2005, 08:01 PM
But lots / most women seem to have an urge to create a virtual identity. Why is that?
I think the standard answer might be

They have so many identities anyway: mother, cook, nurse, teacher, accountant, negotiator, lover, cleaner, shopper etc. that adding one more for the internet is taken in their stride.

CRL

WittyBird
31st-August-2005, 08:04 PM
I have had mine for many years..... comes from the fact that i can be sarcastic , sharp , blunt and sometimes funny so thats the first half of it.( but its all meant in the best possible taste and not meant to cause offence to anyone) the 2nd half is cos i be female.
I decided on it cos i just love sylvester and Tweety Pie and Wittybird was the closest i could get. Oh and yes sometimes i should be put in a cage :rofl:

WittyBird
31st-August-2005, 08:06 PM
I think the standard answer might be

They have so many identities anyway: mother, cook, nurse, teacher, accountant, negotiator, lover, cleaner, shopper etc. that adding one more for the internet is taken in their stride.

CRL

Don't tell me is it also why we have small feet and look good in white? so we match the kitchen appliances and can get nearer the sink/oven? :rofl: the old ones are the best :whistle:

David Bailey
31st-August-2005, 08:42 PM
I need to e-mail Franck to get me changed actually, as the novelty of me has probably well worn off by now :D
Ooh, that's a great poll / auction - Name the New NewKid... :)

ducasi
31st-August-2005, 09:12 PM
The obvious one would be "Old Kid", no? :devil:

MartinHarper
31st-August-2005, 09:15 PM
Lots / most women seem to have an urge to create a virtual identity. Why is that?

Individuals have different reasons, but the statistical bias seems to be to do with issues of safety, fear, vulnerability, and so forth. There's some discussion of the point in MeatballWiki (http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?UseRealNamesForWomen) - one of my previous haunts.

LMC
31st-August-2005, 09:16 PM
Despite being indecisive, I picked a new name already.

So there.

And it's not my real one. And I'm not telling.

Move along, nothing to see here...

Maybe women are a bit more security conscious when it comes to revealing their real names online? My full name is very nearly a Googlewhack - in quotes there are only four results and they're all me. So if I told you I'd have to kill you....

EDIT: :worthy: Martin for Harperlink (cross-post)

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
31st-August-2005, 10:47 PM
Inspired by this post, and by a conversation I had last Saturday night - what is it about women re-inventing themselves with "descriptive" names on the forum?

OK, lots of men have strange names as well - but at least some of us have our actual Names, or parts thereof.

Isn't this kind of already covered in the How did you get your screen name? (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2739) thread?

I don't like to give out my full name on the internet for security reasons, so usually only use my first name, and Jazz Shoes I added cause they were the only dance shoes I had when starting Ceroc. I don't know if anyone is trying to create another identity, after all it is just a different screen name. But, I do think that some people can be quite different in real life, as oppossed to their forum personas, perhaps some feel more confident to 'speak out' online than in everyday situations. Although, I personally don't like to get involved in any of the heated debates on this forum as I don't like the retaliation, and people questioning my opinions as I am usually sitting 'on the fence' anyway... I use the forum for fun, not to get slated for my opinions.

Don't know if that answers your question or if I have went a bit off topic :whistle:

x :hug:

Gill (Norwich)
31st-August-2005, 11:20 PM
Guess that makes me really dull, boring and lacking in imagination :sad:
Anyone who knows me can tell you I am not really :wink:

Lynn
31st-August-2005, 11:50 PM
Yeah, took me ages to come up with an obsure and unidentifiable Forum name.

Whitebeard
1st-September-2005, 12:44 AM
Sorry, wrong thread.

WittyBird
1st-September-2005, 01:08 AM
Sorry, wrong thread.

Is that the alzeihmers? :wink: Or where you just trying to multi task and failing miserably..... :rofl:

Whitebeard
1st-September-2005, 01:13 AM
Is that the alzeihmers?
Your spelling's a bit naff .... but you're probably right young lady.
If you will dodge from thread to thread what do you expect?

WittyBird
1st-September-2005, 01:17 AM
Your spelling's a bit naff .... but you're probably right young lady.
If you will dodge from thread to thread what do you expect?

:blush: yes it is this evening. I put it down to rushing and not being able to spell, but you understood what I meant. :rolleyes:

Whitebeard
1st-September-2005, 01:27 AM
Yes it is this evening. I put it down to rushing and not being able to spell, but you understood what I meant.
That is what I expect of my followers. This evening? It's the middle of shut-eye time gal! Time to wander off to beddy-boe for you, and me, sleep tight, no work for me in the morning!

David Bailey
1st-September-2005, 08:35 AM
Isn't this kind of already covered in the How did you get your screen name? (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2739) thread?
Not really - this is a speculative thing, based on conversations I've had with forumettes. I think women seem to be more prone to "re-invent themselves" than men.

Of course, this is a gross generalisation on my part, based solely on anecdotal evidence; the actual amount of proper factual information I have on this area is, well, astrologer-level in terms of plausibility. :whistle:

But my question was mainly about male / female differences in approahcing the forum, rather than a general "how did you get your name" or "why do you use the forum" question...

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
1st-September-2005, 08:42 AM
But my question was mainly about male / female differences in approahcing the forum, rather than a general "how did you get your name" or "why do you use the forum" question...

I was a bit tired last night, so that's why my post isn't really completely relevant, I try not to stay on topic if I can help it :whistle:

Why hasn't ESG posted his opinions yet? I'd be interested to hear what he has to say...

I think i'll need to have a think about this again.

WittyBird
1st-September-2005, 08:50 AM
Not really - this is a speculative thing, based on conversations I've had with forumettes. I think women seem to be more prone to "re-invent themselves" than men.

Of course, this is a gross generalisation on my part, based solely on anecdotal evidence; the actual amount of proper factual information I have on this area is, well, astrologer-level in terms of plausibility. :whistle:

Personally I think it stems from the days when t'internet had just come into everyones houses (bit like tv back when noah was building the ark) and it was such a novelty, then came about chat rooms and forums etc etc and everyone was advised especially women to create an alter ego for themselves for safety sake, not to use their 'real' names etc . I think its purely to do with that, and the problem with people YES even the men is you do tend to stay within your comfort zones. :waycool:

Lou
1st-September-2005, 09:17 AM

Well.... if you look at the member list, and sort by number of posts - the first page gives you the top 54 posters (of course, not including the unlisted Trampie - who is currently taking a break, so I've added him). So, out of the 55 most prolific posters on this forum:

10 Women use their real name.
13 Women use a nickname
17 Men use their real name.
15 Men use a nickname.

(And I've counted bobgadjet as a real name ;) )

So it's pretty much an equal split between regular forum members who use their real names, and those who use nicknames.

And, yeah - more women use nicknames, but surprisingly, it's not as many as you'd probably have thought. :)

(and, of course, it's only a small sample - but I can't be arsed to trawl through all the pages!)

ducasi
1st-September-2005, 10:02 AM
I see we now have a new "Little Miss Contrary" ... :rofl:

Clive Long
1st-September-2005, 10:10 AM
Well.... if you look at the member list, and sort by number of posts - the first page gives you the top 54 posters (of course, not including the unlisted Trampie - who is currently taking a break, so I've added him). So, out of the 55 most prolific posters on this forum:

10 Women use their real name.
<< etc. usual ruthlessly efficient analytical contribution by our Swindon correspondant >>
Lou,

Don't confuse DJB (I know his little secret, see) with facts

CRL

Lynn
1st-September-2005, 10:16 AM
I see we now have a new "Little Miss Contrary" ... :rofl: My avatar is 'Little Miss Naughty' :devil: But I thought that maybe would give out the wrong message to use it as my forum name! :blush: :whistle:

Lou
1st-September-2005, 10:34 AM
<< etc. usual ruthlessly efficient analytical contribution by our Swindon correspondant >>
Wish me luck, as I'm just off to interview for the post of Newbury correspondent! :whistle:

(Funnily enough, it's actually as an Information Management Consultant. There's apt. ;) )

David Bailey
1st-September-2005, 10:37 AM
{ snip stats }
You're obviously approaching this in far too logical and right-brained a manner :innocent: (Oh, and Good luck!)

Maybe it's just that women seem to have more imaginative names? Purple Sparkler, Zebra Woman, etc...? There seems to me to be a definite, I dunno, "Dressing up" trend more for women than men.

But I could well be talking total b******s of course.

El Salsero Gringo
1st-September-2005, 10:57 AM
Maybe it's just that women seem to have more imaginative names? Purple Sparkler, Zebra Woman, etc...? There seems to me to be a definite, I dunno, "Dressing up" trend more for women than men.And you're telling me that "Clive Long" isn't wishful thinking? Ha!

Cruella
1st-September-2005, 10:59 AM
I originally joined the forum using my real name, but then decided that was boring and changed it to Cruella. It is not only a safety thing but it is much more fun having the anonymity, and isn't it fun when you meet people you already know and find out who they are on the forum! (I'm entertained very easily) I do think that sometimes peoples personalities come across so differently on the forum in comparism to their real life. I don't understand why? The only theory i can come up with, is maybe they find it easier to be more outspoken on here than face to face, because they are shy.

Damien
1st-September-2005, 11:55 AM
I've had it suggested that I should adopt OMEN as a forum name. How original is that then? And it wouldn't take a genius to know OMEN was Damien. There aren't too many Forum members from the Manchester area so I guess my cover would get blown very quickly.

I think the forum name thing is often a part of our alter ego.

Lynn
1st-September-2005, 12:04 PM
The only theory i can come up with, is maybe they find it easier to be more outspoken on here than face to face, because they are shy. That's me. Shy. :blush:

Sheepman
1st-September-2005, 12:11 PM
Oh and yes sometimes i should be put in a cage :rofl: Is that when you're feeling a little beaky? Or just if you get into a flap?
:whistle:

Greg

murphy
1st-September-2005, 12:24 PM
I'm a female in hiding. :cool:

I guess I am enjoying the anonimity and that gives me more confidence to join in the chats especially when you know that you are going to come face to face with other forum users.

I don't think this anonimity is going to last for long though..... the hounds are on my trail and closing in :whistle:

:rofl:

Lynn
1st-September-2005, 12:30 PM
I'm a female in hiding. :cool:

I guess I am enjoying the anonimity and that gives me more confidence to join in the chats especially when you know that you are going to come face to face with other forum users.

I don't think this anonimity is going to last for long though..... the hounds are on my trail and closing in :whistle:

:rofl:I suppose I thought I would have a bit of anonymity at first as I didn't know very many dancers at that point anyway - but it was the fact that I recognised some names on here that made me give it a go. (And the anonymity didn't last long anyway - about a day or so!)

WittyBird
1st-September-2005, 12:38 PM
Is that when you're feeling a little beaky? Or just if you get into a flap?
:whistle:

Greg
Bit of both i guess :whistle:

Minnie M
1st-September-2005, 02:45 PM
I'm a female in hiding
How many have 'unisex' names
I find that very confusing, when replying to a post and you don't know if it is a guy or a girl (especially when they haven't got anything in their profile)

Purple Sparkler
1st-September-2005, 02:46 PM
Despite being indecisive, I picked a new name already.

So there.

And it's not my real one. And I'm not telling.

Move along, nothing to see here...

Maybe women are a bit more security conscious when it comes to revealing their real names online? My full name is very nearly a Googlewhack - in quotes there are only four results and they're all me. So if I told you I'd have to kill you....

EDIT: :worthy: Martin for Harperlink (cross-post)

Last time I googlewhacked my online name it came up with some purple sparkly adult toys!

I was not best pleased.

Piglet
1st-September-2005, 03:02 PM
If I had logged onto this site myself then I would have called myself Pamela! However, since I'm an AOL girl, Franck did it for me over the phone and it was only when he asked me "what would I like to be known as?" that I was utterly stumped and thought I had to come up with a different name - thick or what? :eek: :blush: :rofl:

Baby Peaches
1st-September-2005, 03:33 PM
I started out as Shazzie (obviously my name being Sharon) but there are others on the Forum called Shaz etc so I decided to change it. With my mum being "Peaches" we thought "Baby Peaches" would be apt. Not very original I know! :innocent:

Zebra Woman
2nd-September-2005, 10:13 AM
I was nicknamed Zebra Woman by my friend Leopardy Lady long before I joined the Forum. At that time I just had 3 Zebra print tops, a bag and a matching scarf.

I chose not to be Alison on the Forum because I wanted to be safe/anonymous. Zebra Woman was the obvious choice as it was already my nickname and I had all the kit (so I thought). Little did I know how vast my collection of stripey things would become. :eek:

I am so pleased Di changed her name Cruella and got into the accesories too. :clap: So childish! We have had a real laugh in the car comparing all our monochrome stuff and I let my vibrating zebra (gift from Minnie Mouse) sit with her dalmatian puppy :hug: ...ahhh... actually no.... bzzzzzz. :really:

When I dance wearing stripey stuff I know more Forumites male and female will introduce themselves to me (or avoid me? :rolleyes: ) on the basis that they have worked out who I am, and I can introduce them to others. If they can't see me, then where I'm sitting is always blaringly obvious. :whistle:

I definitely seem to have more fun dancing if I wear my Zebra clothes and the Zebra shoes.

Forum Persona? Hmmm? I think being Zebra Woman brings out the animal in me - that's all. :devil:

ZW :flower: