PDA

View Full Version : Happy Hogmanay

TheTramp
31st-December-2002, 08:02 AM
Traditionally, it has been held that your new year will be a prosperous one if, at the strike of midnight, a "tall, dark stranger" appears at your door with a lump of coal for the fire, or a cake or coin. In exchange, you offered him food, wine or a wee dram of whisky, or the traditional Het Pint, which is a combination of ale, nutmeg and whisky. It's been sugggested that the fear associated with blond strangers arose from the memory of blond-haired VikingÕs raping and pillaging Scotland circa 4th to 12th centuries.Tall, dark strangers, hmmm....... So. What about short, fat, ugly, bald strangers then??

Anyhow, coal is below. Now, where's my food, wine and whiskey??

http://www.wci-coal.com/photo_lib/images/thumbnails/WCI042_COAL.jpg

Happy Hogmanay! Hope you have a great evening, whatever you're doing. Me, I'm dancing. No surprise there then!!

Steve

Graham
31st-December-2002, 01:53 PM
WHISKEY!! :what: :really: I trust you're planning to spend the New Year in Ireland? :reallymad

I'm afraid you'll have to appear in person for the hospitality. If you can't make it, never mind - perhaps we'll still have some whisky and shortbread left when you visit in January.

Happy Hogmanay anyway!

:cheers:

TheTramp
31st-December-2002, 01:55 PM
You mean that you can't bring it down?? What a shame. I'll look forward to January (actually, I'm really looking forward to January!!).

Sorry about the mis-spelling....

Steve

Ronde!
31st-December-2002, 04:34 PM
Hope you all had great New Years with family, friends, or pleasant dreams. :)

It's 2:45AM, and I've just got back from New Year's celebrations at the Hyatt with about 20 Ceroc friends... we really got the party kicking, yeah. :)

Happy New Year, and have a great 2003, kindred Cerocers.

On behalf of your Aussie mates,