PDA

View Full Version : Car Advice

drathzel
29th-August-2005, 01:35 PM
Hi everyone

Ok i have a place in my car for a cigarette lighter but no actual adapter. I was hoping to get one set up as i would like to be able to charge my phone etc. Can i get this done and how much will it cost!

DavidY
29th-August-2005, 01:48 PM
Hi everyone

Ok i have a place in my car for a cigarette lighter but no actual adapter. I was hoping to get one set up as i would like to be able to charge my phone etc. Can i get this done and how much will it cost!

Thanks :hug: :flower:I've no idea, but it probably depends on what make & model of car you've got?

CJ
29th-August-2005, 02:03 PM
Hi everyone

Shouldn't be expensive and it might be worth a visit to Halfords. In fact, I think it's a fairly easy task...

drathzel
29th-August-2005, 02:06 PM
1995 ford fiesta 1.3 equipe!

Just bought it cuz my old car exploded! and in my area (where is live) its best not to have an expensive car!

:D

Just wondering is there a "bit" i can get for it! and possibly get one of my motor friendly friends to do it... ie make it as cheap as poss? :hug:

ToeTrampler
29th-August-2005, 02:20 PM
1995 ford fiesta 1.3 equipe!
Just wondering is there a "bit" i can get for it! and possibly get one of my motor friendly friends to do it... ie make it as cheap as poss? :hug:

A "motor friendly friend " should be able to pick up what you need for under a fiver from auto spare parts companies or local scrappies. Installation is usually running a (positive) wire from the car fuse box and running the ground (earth) to the ground cluster (usually behind the radio). Any mate that could fit a car radio should be able to fit your new socket no problem

drathzel
29th-August-2005, 02:22 PM
A "motor friendly friend " should be able to pick up what you need for under a fiver from auto spare parts companies or local scrappies. Installation is usually running a (positive) wire from the car fuse box and running the ground (earth) to the ground cluster (usually behind the radio). Any mate that could fit a car radio should be able to fit your new socket no problem

woo hoo! I could get it done while i am getting my exhaust done.... the one my mum blew while driving my car! NO MUM THE CAR DOESNT SIT IN 2ND GEAR AT 40 MPH!!!!

CJ
29th-August-2005, 02:53 PM
NO MUM THE CAR DOESNT SIT IN 2ND GEAR AT 40 MPH!!!!

You were too pished to notice!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl: :rofl:

drathzel
29th-August-2005, 03:08 PM
You were too pished to notice!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl: :rofl:
I had regained most of my sences by then..... was drinking water from the time Azande commented on my reactions not being as great!! :rofl:

Dance Demon
29th-August-2005, 03:40 PM
and in my area (where is live) its best not to have an expensive car!

Awwww man!!!!!!.....jis get wan o' the local chavs tae nick wan oot o' sumbdy elses motor man!!!!!a' they charge is a boatle o' Buckie..........quality man!!!!!

Fe'gie Park.........top place man!!!!! :D

drathzel
29th-August-2005, 03:42 PM
Awwww man!!!!!!.....jis get wan o' the local chavs tae nick wan oot o' sumbdy elses motor man!!!!!a' they charge is a boatle o' Buckie..........quality man!!!!!

Fe'gie Park.........top place man!!!!! :D

HO!!!!! They arent called chavs.... they are called neds.... and i will just get the wing wongers to do it! :rofl:

Clive Long
29th-August-2005, 06:40 PM
Dratz,

This is a guess and I may be wrong. Your car may already have the wiring in place to support a cigarette lighter but just not connected up. It maybe cheaper for car manufacturers to produce one type of wiring loom for all configurations of electrical items and accessories in a particular car model. Then when the devices e.g. the radio / electric window / electric wing mirror / second cigarette lighter are fitted during manufacture they are just plugged into the loom, depending on the spec to which that particular car is being built.

This was the case when I had an electric aerial fitted to my 1993 Astra.

You may need an extra fuse for the new device.

Clive

Magic Hans
30th-August-2005, 12:16 AM
Ciggy lighter socket (http://www.m-99.co.uk/Electrical/12v_Car_Cigarette_Lighter_Sock/12v_car_cigarette_lighter_sock1.html)

Check out the above.

Cost under 3 quid. Don't know how the wiring happens (but could work it out on a real live thing!!)

Ciao - !an