PDA

View Full Version : Organ donation

Ballroom queen
24th-August-2005, 07:39 PM
At work we have several patients, children, waiting for organ donations. It is also the BBCs Organ donation week.

I know this can be contraversial, and very personal, but I'm going to post anyway.

I am interested whether forumites would agree to be organ donors in the event of their death, and whether they would agree to their children being donors. Many children need donations from other children as adult organs would be too big.

WittyBird
24th-August-2005, 07:49 PM
At work we have several patients, children, waiting for organ donations. It is also the BBCs Organ donation week.

I know this can be contraversial, and very personal, but I'm going to post anyway.

I am interested whether forumites would agree to be organ donors in the event of their death, and whether they would agree to their children being donors. Many children need donations from other children as adult organs would be too big.

I have already signed on my driving licence to be a donor they can have everything apart from my eyes! I know it sounds stoopid cos i wont know about it but i am a strong believer in your eyes having the link to your soul.. so I wouldnt agree to them being taken. As for my Daughter it doesnt even bear thinking about, and does anyone know what they would do in that situation? I certainly dont ... I would like to think that I would allow her to be a donor but then I also think dont take anything away from her :tears: I hope that I never ever have to make that decision.... and my heart goes out to all the parents that do have to make that choice, and to all the parents that are waiting for a suitable donor. Must be awful knowing a child has died so yours can get better. And it is true what they say ' only the good die young ' :sad:

Missy D
24th-August-2005, 09:13 PM
Sis "Dee" and I were talking about donating organs the other day after watching a programme this week.. We are both not on any donor list. When we were children our mum scared us by saying they remove your organs whilst you are still alive even your eyes. This really has put us off for life. I am sure this is not true but, maybe if there were more information say on tv about donating more people would come forward and many lives could be spared. Our parents died over the last few years with bad hearts and maybe just maybe a heart donor could have saved one of them. :sad:

Ballroom queen
24th-August-2005, 10:32 PM
.........snip..... by saying they remove your organs whilst you are still alive

I am no expert on this.
Here is the uk transplant web site address
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk

Here is a bit from it, it seems there is the concept of "heart-beating donor" - the heart is beating but the patient / donor is brain stem dead, (tests done by 2 independent doctors, nothing to do with transplant teams etc etc), and then there is the concept of non-heart-beating donors. I guess if the heart is beating some would call that still alive, even when brain stem dead.

What are the differences, if any, between kidneys retrieved from heartbeating donors and those retrieved from non-heartbeating donors?
Heartbeating donors are patients who have suffered permanent and irreversible brain injury such that their heart will stop beating in the next week or so. Once the patient’s relatives have given permission for donation and tests demonstrate irreversible brain injury and the patient has been certified dead, the donor is taken to the operating theatre for retrieval of the kidneys and other organs whilst the heart is still beating. In a patient who suffers a cardiac arrest and cannot be resuscitated, it is occasionally possible to flush the kidneys and liver with a cold preserving solution and then remove these organs quickly before irreversible damage occurs. In this situation, the heart is no longer beating, hence the term non-heartbeating. It used to be felt that non-heartbeating donor kidneys were less viable and that their use gave rise to lower transplant success rates. The most recent survey of UK data by UK Transplant indicates that success rates for non-heartbeating donor transplants are very similar to those achieved for heartbeating donor transplants. It is likely that the percentage of kidney transplants from non-heartbeating donors will increase as units continue to work to increase the number of kidneys available for transplantation. A recipient will always be informed if they are being considered for a non-heartbeating donor kidney transplant.

Very personal and a little morbid I know, but hugs all round for anyone remotely involved, and huge respect for the potential live donor I met the other night :worthy: :hug: :hug:

Little Monkey
24th-August-2005, 10:58 PM
It would make me very happy to think that my organs were used to save someone else's life after my death. I have no problem with this whatsoever. I'm not on a donor list (this reminds me I should sign up!!), but carry a donor card in my wallet.

However I'm a total wuss, and am really scared of needles, so I don't donate blood.... I feel really stupid and guilty for not doing this, but I just can't make myself do it! :( I make up lots of silly excuses for not doing it to make myself feel less guilty, but I know I should do it.....

How do other people feel about donating blood? How many of you actually do it?

Little Cowardly Monkey

Ballroom queen
24th-August-2005, 11:32 PM
It would make me very happy to think that my organs were used to save someone else's life after my death. I have no problem with this whatsoever. I'm not on a donor list (this reminds me I should sign up!!), but carry a donor card in my wallet.

However I'm a total wuss, and am really scared of needles, so I don't donate blood.... I feel really stupid and guilty for not doing this, but I just can't make myself do it! :( I make up lots of silly excuses for not doing it to make myself feel less guilty, but I know I should do it.....

Little Cowardly Monkey

I donate, when I haven't been to africa in the last year and when they can find my veins - knackered from childhood major illness. :eek:
It doesn't hurt - just a scratch, and you get a free cup of tea and crisps. :clap:
Oh and a feel good factor, and if you do it at work you can skive off for an hour. :rofl:

WittyBird
24th-August-2005, 11:37 PM

Little Cowardly Monkey

If I could give blood I would, unfortunately I suffer with Anaemia so I cant give anything, but there are alternatives out there. :sick:

Almost an Angel
24th-August-2005, 11:44 PM

I fully support being an organ donor and have carried an organ donor card since I was 16. (almost half my life) I have also made my wishes very clear to my parents, that if anything was to happen I would want my organs to be donated if possible.

As for children I don't have any so I'm afraid I can't really comment in the poll. However hypothetically and given my beliefs I probably would donate their organs. Just because one life has ended prematurely does not mean it can't help others extend or improve their quality of life.

Clive Long
25th-August-2005, 12:58 AM
<< snip >>

Little Cowardly Monkey
Do it. Do it. Give a gift of life and love to someone you have never met.

The older I get, everytime that needle goes in it gives me the sh1ts. But the thought it might, just might, save a child's or mother's life makes me do it.

It's important. And the need never goes away. Blood donation. Organ donation after your death. It's one of the biggest gifts of love.

Make a difference.

CRL

Icey
25th-August-2005, 08:24 AM
I've been watching the DoNation programmes this week too and previously I've made it clear to my family that I would want my organs donated if they were suitable. I will be reminding them how important it is when I see them next.

I've given blood, although the last time I fainted (never was any good with needles) so they told me that when I come back next time I have to continue to lie down for 20 minutes before even contemplating getting up for tea and biscuits.

My work mate who was with me fell about laughing after he was sure I was OK :mad:

Buttons
25th-August-2005, 08:31 AM
I have made my wishes very clear. Like a previous forumite I agree they can have everything except my eyes. I do believe that the eyes are windows to your soul. A bit daft to some but I can't help it. :o

Also, can you still donate blood if you have had a Deep Vein Thrumbosus? 7 years ago. Someone told me no so I stopped donating.

Missy D
25th-August-2005, 09:12 AM

Little Cowardly Monkey

:yeah: I am so afraid of needles too and have to lay down even for a little blood test. You would think after suffering from kidney trouble all through my childhood and constantly having coloured dye injected into my veins i would be fine - But oh no still i faint. :eek:

TiggsTours
25th-August-2005, 09:24 AM
Carrying a donor card is all very well and good, but unfortunately does not guarantee that your wishes will be granted in the case of your death. You need to register on the organ donation register too.

http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/how_to_become_a_donor/how_to_become_a_donor.jsp

I have believed for a long time that organ donation should be automatic, unless you have opted out of it. So many people (like me, until right this moment through the link I just sent you) always think, "Of course I want to donate, I really ought to get round to registering" then get knocked down be the preverbial bus before they get round to it.

CJ
25th-August-2005, 10:12 AM
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/how_to_become_a_donor/how_to_become_a_donor.jsp

I have believed for a long time that organ donation should be automatic, unless you have opted out of it. So many people (like me, until right this moment through the link I just sent you) always think, "Of course I want to donate, I really ought to get round to registering" then get knocked down be the preverbial bus before they get round to it.

Well done for putting the link in!!

I work for a charity: The PBC Foundation (UK) Ltd (as most people know by now). PBC is an auto-immune liver condition that has nothing to do with drink or drugs. It is one of the main reasons for liver transplant in the UK, and has no cure. Even in transplantees, PBC can come back.

more info here (http://www.pbcfoundation.org.uk)

In simple terms, the body sees the liver as a foreign object and attacks it using bile. No, it is not pretty.

We, as an organisation, have looked at "opting-out" as opposed to "opting-in" (the current donorship system). Statistically, the two systems have the same donor % per head. This Govt. has stated in the strongest possible terms (for this govt!! :rolleyes: ) that it will not change us to an "opt-in" system.

The main positive influence on donorship numbers is education. The main negative influence is families of deceased going against deceased's wishes and stopping removal of organs. Not ideal, but totally understandable at such a traumatic time. At this point, Medics' hands are tied and they must go with the families' wishes: EVEN IF DECEASED IS ON A REGISTER.

So, even if you have registered, you REALLY need to talk it over with next of kin to ensure your wishes are carried out, or put provision in a will.

Is a difficult subject and we each must make our own choices. I know what mine is.

Dreadful Scathe
25th-August-2005, 10:38 AM
I have believed for a long time that organ donation should be automatic, unless you have opted out of it.

I agree, no reason why I would want my organs after my death. I think an opt-out system would be much better. As CJ says though, familys can override your wishes anyway but you've got to wonder why they are even asked!! If a family member dies the shock could last days, weeks, months before you begin to come to terms with it - yet they ask you right after death if they can take the organs. This is a very painful reminder of your loss, a reminder that the person is not 'coming back'. I would suggest people say NO as a reaction to the reminder and a denial of the loss much more often than the people who are saying no because they actually have qualms about organ donation.

Make it opt-out and don't put the families through that!

CJ
25th-August-2005, 10:45 AM
We, as an organisation, have looked at "opting-out" as opposed to "opting-in" (the current donorship system). Statistically, the two systems have the same donor % per head. This Govt. has stated in the strongest possible terms (for this govt!! :rolleyes: ) that it will not change us to an "opt-in" system.

Duh.

What I meant to type was "FROM an opt-in system (current) to an opt-out system" (preferred by most but not, statistically, likely to produce better numbers) but I'm a dill. :blush:

Dizzy
25th-August-2005, 11:00 AM
I would gladly give up my organs when I die but I am Diabetic and have been told that my organs would not be suitable. :tears:

Stuart M
25th-August-2005, 11:33 AM
Since I'd be half-blind if someone else hadn't signed a donor card, I can't help but be a strong supporter of transplants. I've got my card and I've registered online (http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/how_to_become_a_donor/how_to_become_a_donor.jsp) .

Isn't it silly that the moment you die, every part of your estate immediately becomes subject to the rule of law - except your actual corpse? This is then subject to the emotionally-charged response of whatever relatives happen to be there at the time. I think if we applied the same rule to peoples' houses, bank accounts, toasters etc. there'd be a bit of an outcry... :what:

I don't understand how a personal decision made in a rational frame of mind can be overruled by a third-party decision made in an irrational frame of mind.

Please, folks - accept that the only bit which makes you you is your brain - the rest is just sensors, pumps, bellows, valves, filters, levers and motors. Even if you believe in an afterlife, there's no reason to let all those spare parts go to waste. :nice:

Little Monkey
25th-August-2005, 12:03 PM
:yeah: I am so afraid of needles too and have to lay down even for a little blood test. You would think after suffering from kidney trouble all through my childhood and constantly having coloured dye injected into my veins i would be fine - But oh no still i faint. :eek:

Oh thank god it's not just me!! I was starting to feel worse and worse after reading this thread, and everyone telling me "just do it!".

I suffer from some very severe allergies, and due to them I've ended up in A&E several times (anaphylaxis), and have felt like a pincushion, as several doctors will inject me with drugs at the same time. :tears: And even when I'm only half conscious I'm petrified of the bl**dy needles! :sad:

So - if anyone drags me to the hospital or wherever you donate blood, and hold my hand and promise not to laugh, I might do it......

Wuzzy Little Monkey

Sheepman
25th-August-2005, 12:20 PM
I have no problems with my organs being used after my death, but respect the rights of those people that don't feel the same way for whatever reason. The question of your children's organs is one I don't have to deal with, but surely has to be a joint decision between both the parents, and should be made alongside decisions like guardianship - what would happen to the children if both parents died.

When you consider the risks that can be involved with donation, and that a pint of blood currently costs the NHS £120 after collection, processing, and storage costs, (it has a short "use by" date!) surely we all have to be better off in the long run with synthetic alternatives? Extending that to organ donation and other areas of research brings up the thorny question of cloning, and how far that should go. But that's another thread entirely...

Greg

TiggsTours
25th-August-2005, 12:21 PM
Oh thank god it's not just me!! I was starting to feel worse and worse after reading this thread, and everyone telling me "just do it!".

I suffer from some very severe allergies, and due to them I've ended up in A&E several times (anaphylaxis), and have felt like a pincushion, as several doctors will inject me with drugs at the same time. :tears: And even when I'm only half conscious I'm petrified of the bl**dy needles! :sad:

So - if anyone drags me to the hospital or wherever you donate blood, and hold my hand and promise not to laugh, I might do it......

Wuzzy Little Monkey
I had an illness when I was a kid, and was told I could probably never give blood because of it. I have to admit to being secretly glad of that, I hate needles! For the last couple of years though I've thought maybe I should go and get my blood checked, just in case, even though it terrifies me, I would like to give blood.

ElaineB
25th-August-2005, 12:22 PM
I am registered for organ transplant and to donate bone marrow. I have also given about 25 pints of blood and plasma, but don't anymore! Never having been squeemish in the slightest, a nurse did a very good job of telling me some horror stories whilst I was giving blood and it made me feel very faint. :angry: Tried a couple of times since then, but it still makes me feel faint, so I have given up for a while!

As for my daughter - I must confess that I had not thought about it, but I expect that if that awful choice came, that I would allow her organs to be donated.

Elaine

Little Monkey
25th-August-2005, 03:48 PM
Extending that to organ donation and other areas of research brings up the thorny question of cloning, and how far that should go. But that's another thread entirely...

Anyone seen the film "The Island"? Quite naff and typical Hollywood, but the subject matter (making human clones for 'spare parts') gave me the creeps.

LM

doc martin
25th-August-2005, 05:44 PM

Thanks for that. It gave me the kick I needed to go and register.

...surely we all have to be better off in the long run with synthetic alternatives? Extending that to organ donation and other areas of research brings up the thorny question of cloning, and how far that should go. But that's another thread entirely...

Greg

We would be. For blood there are some alternatives, but they do not have the oxygen carrying capacity of real blood. I know it would seem that blood is a simple enough thing to make, but our lack of success in artificial organs of all sorts shows how much still needs to be done.

Personally I would be very happy to donate samples of my organs to be cloned and stored, then used for me or anyone else suitable if the technology were available (and our health service could afford the overhead of maintaining such an organ pool).

On the subject of giving blood, I look at it as a good way to lose weight :na: :na: 500ml of blood = more than half a kilo lost... and in only 10 minutes. You have to resist the biccies afterwards to make this approach work though. And I don't recommend doing it every day :wink: :wink:

Little Monkey
26th-August-2005, 07:48 PM
Just registered on the Donor List. Have always carried a card, and have told my mum I want to be a donor, but it was about time I registered properly!

Now I just need someone to come and hold my hand, and I might give blood..... :sick:

LM

Tiggerbabe
26th-August-2005, 08:00 PM
I've the same problem giving blood, everytime I try they turn me away again for being anaemic :tears: I have managed to give a few times though.

I've been on the bone marrow register for years but never been called.

On the subject of organ donation, definitely

and as a mum of two I would like to think that if it ever came to it I would be strong enough to agree to my childrens' organs being donated. I can only imagine that it would be a comfort to think that from such a tragedy there would be renewed hope for someone else.

Little Monkey
26th-August-2005, 08:14 PM
Just watched the last bit of a program on tv about organ donation. Strong stuff. A woman met the little boy who received her daughters liver - very unusual, but both parties wanted the meeting.

LM

dee
27th-August-2005, 10:51 AM
I am no expert on this.
Here is the uk transplant web site address
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk

:hug:

Thanks for putting on that link Ballroom queen, like my sister MissyD mum put so much fear into us about this sort of thing that it also put me off, she even mentioned if i donate my eyes i would see them cutting them out, (nice mum) god rest her soul. Now i have read the "Real" facts maybe i will have to look into it. Sister and i have lost all our family except eachother so we both know how precious life is. :)

Dazzle
27th-August-2005, 02:43 PM
I had an organ donation card for as long as I could remember. But when the national regoster came into being I put myself on from the beginning. I have always believed in this. I didn't speak for my children as they currently do not live with me and I also think it should be their choice, not forced on them by either parent.

JoC
28th-August-2005, 01:49 PM
Now I just need someone to come and hold my hand, and I might give blood..... :sick:
I'm due to give blood soon, shall I give you a shout LM and we can go together when you come back from Norway? I don't enjoy the needles either but it's not painful if you go for the anaesthetic. I don't look during any of the process, there's my arm, take it away, do what you want with it and let me know when you're done.

Anyone seen the film "The Island"? Me! :na:

Little Monkey
28th-August-2005, 04:14 PM
I'm due to give blood soon, shall I give you a shout LM and we can go together when you come back from Norway? I don't enjoy the needles either but it's not painful if you go for the anaesthetic. I don't look during any of the process, there's my arm, take it away, do what you want with it and let me know when you're done.

Thanks!

Just prepare yourself for me going white as a sheet and all wobbly-kneed! And I'll behave like a complete wuss! But I'll feel like I do something important and worthwile if I do it, and have been ashamed for years for not giving blood.....

Wobbly Wee Monkey

Little Monkey
12th-September-2005, 03:49 PM
Ohmygod!

Well, tomorrow JoC is dragging me off to give blood..... I'm feeling sick and dizzy just thinking about it, but I'm sure once I've done it, it won't be so bad the next time. :sick:

Will give you a report of how it was tomorrow (How many times will I try and hide from Jo? Will I fain? Will I cry like a baby when I see the needle? Will I pretend to be brave, and then faint as soon as I've left the building?), and maybe other people with needle-phobias might get the incouragement they need to give blood, too?

Scared Little Monkey

JoC
12th-September-2005, 07:33 PM
Be in the square at 11:30 or be...ummm...square. ;)

Piglet
12th-September-2005, 08:08 PM
I have no problems with my organs being donated when I'm gone - although for many years I was against it as I felt it was meddling with nature. I probably still think its meddling, but I have no problem with the donation part now.

As for my son I'd be happy for any part of him to be donated too as it would be a comfort to know that part of him was still of this earth (as it were).

My dad's also happy to donate his bits and pieces too!

My dad and I have talked about this, but have just realised I should perhaps ask my son his views.....

filthycute
13th-September-2005, 01:22 AM
Ohmygod!

Well, tomorrow JoC is dragging me off to give blood..... I'm feeling sick and dizzy just thinking about it, but I'm sure once I've done it, it won't be so bad the next time. :sick:

Scared Little Monkey

I wish i'd read this earlier. James and i had recently discussed this and had the same fears. Now that James is finally able (he's had so many tattoos) we did think about doing it.....but.....we're wuss's. We have the same old story....not enough time....don't know where to go...blah blah....

Maybe next year :o

fc x

CeeCee
13th-September-2005, 08:15 AM
Interesting subject. Well done for bringing it up :nice:

It's a pity that people still worry about organs being removed while still alive or scared that the doctors wont do all they can to save you because they are more interested in your organs than helping you. I guess it's a natural fear and difficult to dispell. :sad:

Numerous indepth tests and investigations are carried out before 'death' is confirmed by a multidisciplinary team of health professionals. When they all agree, then organs are made available for donation according to the wishes of the family.

Carrying a donor card is always a good idea but my experience is that it is mostly useful as a 'conversation starter' for the doctors if an unfortunate accident should occur. The subject is never easy to bring up with members of a grieving family but the card helps. However, as far as I'm aware if the family refuse to allow organs to be taken the card is null and void.
Does anyone know if that is still the case?

Blood donation is definitely worthwhile, be prepared for the long list of medical and personal questions before you are allowed to donate...

JoC
13th-September-2005, 10:39 AM
I wish i'd read this earlier. James and i had recently discussed this and had the same fears. Now that James is finally able (he's had so many tattoos) we did think about doing it.....but.....we're wuss's. We have the same old story....not enough time....don't know where to go...blah blah....

Maybe next year :o

fc x
I think you can just turn up at Ninewells anytime to give blood. I know they 'tour' about various venues regularly too. They set up in the Marryat Hall (next door to the Caird Hall) the second Tuesday of every month. Don't know if that's of any use to you FC!

(That sorts out the second excuse, you just need to find the time now :wink: )

Little Monkey
13th-September-2005, 03:37 PM
Well......

What can I say? I woke up at 6.30 this morning with a terrible migraine, thinking "Hooray! Now I've got an excuse not to give blood!" Unfortunately the migraine was much better by 9, so I met Jo as planned..... With clammy hands and wobbly knees I went to register to become a blood donor. :sick: The nurses I initially talked to were very sweet, and when I expressed my fear of needles, I was told "We're going to look after you very well, don't you worry!"

I also wanted a local anaesthetic(sp?), and was told by the nurse who checked my medical history that I could have one if that's what I wanted. Then had my blood levels checked, and got the all clear to go and donate.

Right, so far so good. I sat down to wait for my name to be called, then plodded over to a bed, where a lovely attendant set everything up, discussed the anaesthetic/ fear of needles/ first time donating, and told me to make myself comfortable and just wait for the nurse, who would explain the procedure with me, and also advice me on pros and cons of the local anaesthetic. Then the nurse arrived......

........... Built like a brick and with a face like a bulldog, she approached, needle in hand, ready to pop it into my vein. No hello, no enquiry if I wanted an anaesthetic, no putting me at ease as it was my first time donating.... Nothing. The attendant stopped her, and told her I wanted the anaesthetic. She asked me if I had any allergies, to which I answered yes (I told her about my anaphylaxis, something I'd already told the first nurse who took my medical history and gave me the all clear for donating). She then told me I couldn't have an anaesthetic, and before I could say anything or ask any further questions, she jammed the needle into my vein. :eek: Only then did she ask me if I carry an epi-pen (adrenaline), and when I confirmed this (I had already told the first nurse this), she barked "You can't give blood!", and to the attendant: "Get that needle out of her arm!". The attendatnt looked rather shocked, and I wasn't sure if I should laugh or cry! :tears: :rofl:

The bulldog-nurse with the lovely bedside manners stalked off in a huff, and the lovely attendant told me how brave he thought I'd been. At this point Jo came over to check if I was ok, and I must give her credit for not collapsing in laughter!!!

So....... I am now prohibited from giving blood for the rest of my life, which is partly a relief, and partly bloody annoying, now that I'd worked up the courage to go and do it!! At least I can now say I know what the needle feels like; not at all very painful, and nothing to be scared of, really, although I don't think this experience has lessened my fear of needles in the slightest!!!.

I must give bulldog-nurse some credit, though: She really is good with needles! I hardly had time to react before the needle was in my arm, and she was extremely accurate and efficient. But she does need a course in bedside manners and smiling, and shouldn't be let loose on first-time donors with a fear of needles!

Big thanks :flower: and :hug: to JoC, for giving me the courage, for not laughing too much and for treating me to lunch afterwards!

Freshly Pierced Little Monkey

Little Monkey
13th-September-2005, 04:01 PM
By the way.......

FC and JB - don't let this put you off donating blood!!!!!!! I'll come and hold your hand(s) if you want! :rofl:

LM

JoC
13th-September-2005, 10:25 PM
What!?!?! Nearly 5 hours has this tragic tale been posted and still no sympathy???

Right, so far so good. I sat down to wait for my name to be called...*snip tale of trauma!*...At this point Jo came over to check if I was ok Crumbs I only left you alone for the duration of the drinking of two small cups of orange and the eating of two tuc biscuits and all that happened, I mean what were the odds against it turning out like that?? :o I think the evil nurse sensed your fear and it made her turn super evil.

I must give bulldog-nurse some credit, though: She really is good with needles!She was swift and deadly accurate, my anaesthetic had barely had time to take effect...this is the first time I have no sign of a bruise.

Big thanks :flower: and :hug: to JoC, for giving me the courage, for not laughing too much and for treating me to lunch afterwards!Not sure you mean that... :rofl: You put a magnificently brave face on despite being punctured unnecessarily. :hug: (Apart from the nurse everyone was 'nice' though weren't they?)

To end on a positive note, my donation went quickly and virtually painlessly, though I did nearly crick my neck looking away when evil nurse approached with pointy thing, but that's normal. :)

Little Monkey
14th-September-2005, 10:27 AM
What!?!?! Nearly 5 hours has this tragic tale been posted and still no sympathy???

Crumbs I only left you alone for the duration of the drinking of two small cups of orange and the eating of two tuc biscuits and all that happened, I mean what were the odds against it turning out like that?? :o I think the evil nurse sensed your fear and it made her turn super evil.

Yes, I think so, too. I bet she had to control herself not to break out in evil witch-style cackle as she jammed the needle in!!! :eek:

She was swift and deadly accurate, my anaesthetic had barely had time to take effect...this is the first time I have no sign of a bruise.

Very swift, very accurate. Do you think she got comission for how much blood she could suck out of each patient per hour???? But no, I don't have a bruise either, and I bruise very easily! So she must at least have been good at poking people with needles...

Not sure you mean that... :rofl: You put a magnificently brave face on despite being punctured unnecessarily. :hug: (Apart from the nurse everyone was 'nice' though weren't they?)

Yes, it was only Evil Mrs Vampire Bulldog-Nurse who was a teensy bit scary. The rest were lovely! The first nurse was in fact so nice that I almost forgot to be scared! :D

And thankyouverymuch, madam, I did my best to look brave! :cool: With a slight hysterical edge to my laugh....

Anyway..... Go donate blood!!! Not scary at all, honest! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

And where the hell is all my sympathy..... Humpfh! :mad:

LM

ducasi
14th-September-2005, 10:52 AM
And where the hell is all my sympathy..... Humpfh! :mad: :hug:

Sorry for not being sympathetic before now. Was passed out on the floor at the very thought of the vampiress with the needle. :eek:

I haven't given blood it ages. Never felt fit enough... Maybe I'm more up for it now... Just so long as Nurse Nasty doesn't ever visit Glasgow... :what:

DavidY
14th-September-2005, 11:02 AM
Anyway..... Go donate blood!!! Not scary at all, honest! OK then - inspired by your and JoC's example, yesterday I fixed up an appointment for tomorrow. :eek:

Actually I'd donated blood before (twice I think) when I was at Uni. But I then got turned away - even though I answered the same questions every time, the third time round they didn't like the medication I was on (even though it had been OK the first two times when I was on the same medication). :confused:

But I rang the advice line yesterday and they reckon I should be OK.

Hope I can still dance at Southport with 1 less pint (famously "nearly an armful") though. :sick:

Piglet
14th-September-2005, 12:48 PM
:clap: :clap: Well done Little Monkey and JoC :clap: :clap:

I'm not sure I want to try this now - also being a wuss! However, think yourself lucky. My ex grew up whilst his mother was putting herself through training for taking blood (yes she was one of those people, but too nice to be the evil nurse I think) and she used to practise on her children :eek: :eek: :eek: (Thank goodness she was a dab hand at it by the time I met her son, is all I can say!)

Little Monkey
14th-September-2005, 02:25 PM
OK then - inspired by your and JoC's example, yesterday I fixed up an appointment for tomorrow. :eek:

{snip}

Hope I can still dance at Southport with 1 less pint (famously "nearly an armful") though. :sick:

Well done! I'll dance with you, and we can compare 'piercings' and nurse-stories! Hopefully your nurse will be lovely! :nice:

I told my ex (doctor) about what happened, and he claims the nurse was wrong, and that I can give blood!!! But there's no way in hell I'll go back there ever again! :(

See you Friday!

LM

Oh - thanks for the sympathy Ducasi!

Little Monkey
15th-September-2005, 12:26 PM
OK then - inspired by your and JoC's example, yesterday I fixed up an appointment for tomorrow. :eek:

Done it yet??? How did it go? No encounter with Vampire Bulldog-Nurse from Hell, I hope??

LM :hug:

Dreadful Scathe
15th-September-2005, 12:34 PM
I used to give blood all the time but havent got round to it for a few years now. Dunno where the donor centre is in Edinburgh. I'm odd, I actually enjoy watching the big needle go into my vein :) the free coffee and bisuits is the clincher ;)

ducasi
15th-September-2005, 12:44 PM
I used to give blood all the time but havent got round to it for a few years now. Dunno where the donor centre is in Edinburgh. I'm odd, I actually enjoy watching the big needle go into my vein :) the free coffee and bisuits is the clincher ;)
Try here (http://www.scotblood.co.uk/donor_centres.html) or here (http://www.scotblood.co.uk/where_to_donate.html).

JoC
15th-September-2005, 12:44 PM
Dunno where the donor centre is in Edinburgh.
Used to be attached to the old Royal Infirmary opposite Heriots didn't it? If it's not still there then I guess maybe it moved out to the New RI.

(Thanks for posting that link ducasi, I was just going to have a look for it. :) )

DavidY
15th-September-2005, 12:46 PM
Done it yet??? How did it go? No encounter with Vampire Bulldog-Nurse from Hell, I hope??

LM :hug:No! :devil:

The morning session ran from 10:30 - but when I arrived at the appointed hour (11:15) they were still unloading stuff and said it would be an hour before they started. Queue of unimpressed folk sitting around too.

I didn't really fancy sitting round for an hour in anticipation of scary blood donation so went to nearby supermarket instead (which took longer than expected as my shopping list included a few extra things for Southport). And then (despite damp weather) I thought that I didn't want to leave perishables in car for however long it takes to queue/ donate blood/ drink tea & biscuits., so I went off home.

Was going to go back now but noticed the morning session supposedly closes at 12:45 :sad: . So I'll try again later this afternoon.

So not going well so far. :blush:

Little Monkey
15th-September-2005, 12:52 PM
The morning session ran from 10:30 - but when I arrived at the appointed hour (11:15) they were still unloading stuff and said it would be an hour before they started. Queue of unimpressed folk sitting around too.

Hmmmmm...... Well, maybe more people would donate if they were better organised, and didn't have scary nurses??? :whistle:

At least I now have an excuse if people give me stick for not donating....

LM

Little Monkey
21st-September-2005, 11:07 PM
Well, after all the 'trauma' of me trying to give blood last week, my friend (a doctor) contacted the East of Scotland Blood Transfusion Service to see if he could clarify the matter for me.

This is what he found out:

Donors who have mild allergy (eg hay fever) are eligible to donate, so
long as the allergy is not currently active.

However, we occasionally have individuals volunteering to donate with a
history of severe reaction to multiple allergens that warrants the
carrying of adrenaline. Obviously we would not have such a donor
donate:-

- we don't want them to have an anaphylactic response in our care (eg
exposure to local anaesthetic, nickel (needles), skin cleaning agents,
plasticisers (from the blood packs/tubing if there was retrograde
flow)

- we don't want to compromise their ability to tolerate an event that
may occur soon after donation (relative anaemia, hypovolaemia)

- we don't want to passively transfer their severe immunity to any
recipient of components derived from their donation

Well, at least this definitely means I can't donate blood, and I hope this helps other peole with allergies who have been wondering if they can donate or not!

Rather Relieved Little Monkey

Dreadful Scathe
4th-September-2006, 12:35 PM
New changes in the law - see here (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09/01/dna_sampling_ban/)

The new Human Tissue Act, among other things, gives Doctors the ability to overule relatives of the deceased and use the organs for others in need. About time too - it was always a bizarre situation - asking people who have just lost a loved one to make a decision like that - best to not bother them with it at all.

Stuart M
4th-September-2006, 01:22 PM
New changes in the law - see here (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09/01/dna_sampling_ban/)

The new Human Tissue Act, among other things, gives Doctors the ability to overule relatives of the deceased and use the organs for others in need. About time too - it was always a bizarre situation - asking people who have just lost a loved one to make a decision like that - best to not bother them with it at all.
:yeah:

However, I've heard it said (apologies for being unable to cite a reference) that the rest of this Act is a dog's breakfast, which could cause admin nightmares for human tissue research, etc. Plus it ushers in the birth of yet another quango...

Barry Shnikov
4th-September-2006, 02:08 PM
I donated an organ to Oxfam once. It was a little Bontempi thing that I gave up when I took up guitar.

jivecat
4th-September-2006, 03:56 PM
I was under the impression that I couldn't donate blood 'cos I've had rheumatic fever & glandular fever many years ago. Anyone know if this is srill the case?

Ballroom queen
4th-September-2006, 06:58 PM
I was under the impression that I couldn't donate blood 'cos I've had rheumatic fever & glandular fever many years ago. Anyone know if this is srill the case?

Try asking the national blood tranfusion service, I'm sure they have a web site and help line and you'll get a more accurate answer than on here!!!!

Some of you might wish to know that out of the two children waiting for transplants at the start of this thread, one died, and one had a sucessful transplant and is at home, well.

Beowulf
5th-September-2006, 03:17 PM
I was very scared about giving blood the first I time I went. I'd attempted before but every time I backed out and made excuses.

anyway a few years now I went with My ex and some friends. Unbeknown to me they'd made "plans"

when i was in the queue a couple stood in front on me , and a couple behind me. As I approached my turn.. I decided "no I can't do this" and turned to get out.. only to discover that I was now very well boxed in.

Anyway. I ended up giving blood and it's no problem now. The only bit I still don't like its the test at the start, but that's over in a millisecond !! I go in, give my pint and have a cup of coffee afterwards. and as you say.. the feel good factor you get cannot be bought for any amount of money!!

Best regards
Pete (Common as Muck O+ but Happy with it)

jacksondonut
5th-September-2006, 03:58 PM
I would not hesitate to offer any part of me to help someone else, (after my death!)..... INCLUDING my eyes!! Yes, maybe they are the 'windows to your soul', but the thought that someone else will benefit and be able to see the world again through my eyes, makes me feel that I will continue to live through them again, in a way.. :flower: Maybe Its an odd way of looking at it.... :yeah:

Excellent thread topic.. :yeah:

Little Monkey
5th-September-2006, 04:14 PM
Anyway. I ended up giving blood and it's no problem now. The only bit I still don't like its the test at the start, but that's over in a millisecond !! I go in, give my pint and have a cup of coffee afterwards. and as you say.. the feel good factor you get cannot be bought for any amount of money!

Well done you! Rep has been given!:flower:

I've just re-read this thread, and got the collywobbles reading my own scary story about Ms Vampire Nurse.:sick: Apparently this episode lead to an enquiry, but the nurse in question denied doing anything wrong!:eek: I guess it was just my word against hers, and they chose to believe her.....

Oh, and DONATE BLOOD (if you can). I'll still be willing to come along to hold anyone's hand, if they're scared! :wink: :rofl: