PDA

View Full Version : A poll for accountants only .....

Clive Long
24th-August-2005, 02:08 PM
There is a reason for this poll but it's far too dull to explain.

As an accountant would you say your responsibilities lie mainly in:

o 1. Ensuring that correct accounting procedures are used and regulatory reporting is accurate
o 2. Trying to promote revenue and minimize cost i.e. improve profit.

And none of this BOTH! nonsense. Or "it depends on fiscal rectitude". Make a decision man (or woman)!

Also please no lectures on my abuse of correct accounting terminology - I think you know what I'm driving at (that'll put you down as a strong 1)

And a quiz too!

Was Arthur Putey the applicant for the grant in the Silly Walks (http://www.realm-of-shade.com/zarathustra/silwalk.html) sketch?

Clive

drathzel
24th-August-2005, 02:12 PM
i chose A as altho i am only an accounts manager i dont have anything to do with the purchasing side of things and altho we exchange info its not up to me to say how much we can spend on a roof (we are roofing contractors)! Thats what we have an estimating and purchasing department for! I just tell them how much they have spent!

LMC
24th-August-2005, 02:20 PM
Was Arthur Putey the applicant for the grant in the Silly Walks (http://www.realm-of-shade.com/zarathustra/silwalk.html) sketch?
Dunno, but he was asked whether he was a man or a mouse in the marriage guidance counsellor sketch < /anorak mode >

Re: the poll - Unlike Icey, I'm not qualified < /gratuitous bigging up of clever friends mode >. But I've done accounts work and I would say "both", just to be really annoying, since neglecting EITHER would lose you your job.
However, since the first could also put you in prison I guess it's less important, because at least that way you know where your next meal is coming from. Hang on a sec....

(I've voted for Option 1 as well)

Gus
24th-August-2005, 03:19 PM
Unfortimnately the answer should be A. As an accountant the fundamental accounting principles demand that you must always ensure that the books of account reflect a true and faire view etc. etc. It says nothing about making money ... thats for the commercial folk. As the end of the day the main role of accountants is as beancounters ... and being the butt of TV commedians.

Chicklet
24th-August-2005, 03:43 PM
I AM Qualified :wink: :waycool: :blush:

and have answered A - this has to be the main role.

but I HAVE to keep my beady eyes on the commercial folks as most of them are such complete NUMPTIES they can get the company into all kinds of sh*ite, (that I then have to dig us out of). Show me a salesman who truly understands incoterms and I'll show you a body due a pay rise!

In today's world of manufacturing companies wanting JIT and lean inventory on consignment at their facility we have to be sooo careful not to agree willy nilly without considering that eg - goods consigned in an EU country and pulled there are a local supply and subject to local VAT etc etc etc

I could go on (and on and on and on) , but only Gus is keeping up so I'll stop :rofl:

PS I do like the word "Unfortimnately" it's special. :flower: